• Published 26th Jan 2014
  • 816 Views, 14 Comments

A Little Lost Without You - NadyaAnn



My OC is new to PonyVille. She's a runaway who is desperate to get away from her past before it catches up to her. She makes some unexpected friends along the way and it makes for an interesting journey as well as tragedy.

  • ...
13
 14
 816

The Great Appearance

The sun rose steadily and began to peek through the windows of the apple red barn, casting magnificent rays of golden light that danced across the hay bales and neatly ordered farm utensils. Morning had graced PonyVille once again, thanks to Princess Celestia of course, and it was time to get cracking on the grounds of the proud and upstanding Apple family farm. Big Macintosh, earliest riser of the clan of Apple, quietly removed himself from his lodgings and began padding his way toward the front door to begin yet another day of strenuous labor. He stepped on the porch and looked out at a slew of bursting apple trees as the leaves twirled around on their twigs. The apples shown bright and shinning in the sunlight that had barely made its appearance. Silhouettes shown on the lush and dew laden grass from bushes that housed small critters that lacked Big Macintosh's incentive to rise eagerly. Big Macintosh filled his lungs with a rough and crisp breath that expanded his chest and pushed his body to put a hoof forward and begin to stride briskly toward the barn. He blinked his eyes a few times as he trotted on his course in hopes of ridding them of their sleepy state. It was time to work, after all.

Upon entering the wooden structure, Big Macintosh wasted no time at all in gather various assortments of hooks, straps, and harnesses. He turned to reach for the plow that was assuredly about to be used, when something deeper within the depths of the barn that had placed itself on a patch of fallen hay, caught his eye. Big Mac jolted backward making surprisingly little noise for a stallion of his stature and size and a small gasp escaped his lips.

"W-Who are you?! What are you doing in my barn? Leave! Immediately!", the words bellowed from the usually silent Big Macintosh like thunder from the angriest of storm clouds.

The figure slowly rose its' head, its' black mane fell from its previous pristine and undisturbed position, to a beautiful mess of entangled waves that fell onto the hay by the figures neatly folded and slender legs. It faced Big M, but he was unable to see who or what it was due to the lingering darkness that Celestias' sun was yet to reach. He stepped forward with a sturdy hoof, uneasy at the figures calm reaction to his hasty and not to mention, loud, outburst.

"You need to...uhh...leave. Now! You are trespassing on private property.", Big M put on his most assertive facial feature and eased forward yet again.

"I-I'm so sorry!", exclaimed the mysterious figure suddenly.

It brought itself to its hoofs and slowly emerged from Lunas' darkness and its eyes shown a magnificent and clear emerald green that captured Big Macintosh in a miniature trance. The mare was a beautiful and glistening dun color. Her legs, however, were black and lean and her tail dragged behind her gracefully like a wedding veil of pure black ash. She looked at Big M's tattered and dirtied red coat. Her eyes then wondered to his mouth that was open in pure wonder and then leisurely made their way to his tangled orange mane. Before returning her glance to his awe struck eyes, she eyed his cutie mark. The lime green apple-half intrigued her and a small smile graced her elegantly shaped face.

"I truly am sorry.", the mare with no name spoke again, "Please forgive me! I-I had no where to go and it was so col-"

"N-no need to apologize. I'm the one who needs to be directing apologies. You just...took me off guard is all.", Big Macintosh interjected in a blurry of hast and embarrassment at his previous rash actions toward the defenseless and lost mare.

"My name is Ani Me. It's spelled A-N-I M-E, but it's pronounced Annie May.", the once nameless acquaintance smiled brightly at Big Macintosh, who shown bright red beneath his deep red coat.

Ani Me walked closer to him and placed a hoof upon his, "What is your name, oh handsome stallion of PonyVille?"

This threw Big Macintosh for a loop and he turned his head away in pure embarrassment. Ani Me noticed this immediately and backed away swiftly, her own cheeks burning a light tinge of crimson.

"I'm so sorry! I'm so stupid! First I enter your barn without permission and then I invade your personal space. Will somepony PLEASE tell me why I'm so pushy?!", Ani Me gasped exasperatedly, a lock of black hair obscuring her vision.

"Hold on there little lady!", Big Mac began to shake his burly head at her ridiculous out burst, "It's just that, I've never been openly approached so warmly before. To be honest, I like your head strong nature."

The distraught mare looked up at the unusual stallion and wiped her tear brimmed eyes with her limber hooves as a giggle began to arise in her throat. "You make me laugh, Mysterious Big Red." Turning toward Big Mac, Ani Me pushed her mane out of her face with a careful hoof and glanced at Big Macintosh's face. "I hate to be a bother but, I'm starving Big Red."

The characteristics of determination melted away from Big Macintosh's face and turned into that of concern as he stepped toward Ani Me in a flash of utmost urgency as he spoke, "My! I'm truly sorry Miss! I didn't mean to be so rude! Please, you probably haven't eaten in a few days-"

"Brother! What in TARNATION is going on in here???", exclaimed a voice that was foreign to Ani Me. Much to her amazement, a golden mare with an adorable hay colored mane and tail appeared in front of the big barn doorway. The boyish pony's pine green eyes flicked from her brother, who's eyes were as round a saucers, to the mysterious mare who was congregating in HER barn, with HER brother, ALONE. The golden mare glared at Ani Me and trotted rather casually toward her before Big Mac could interject to save her from the hurricane of questions that were on the horizon.

Applejack smiled brightly at Ani Me and turned her head slightly in the direction of Big Macintosh, who was a little uneasy at the entire situation, and asked, "Aren't you gonna introduce me, big bro? She ain't one of them bad outsiders we been havin' them encounters with, is she? I can't be loosin nopony else."

Ani Me became uncomfortable with her question and backed away subtly, nearly stepping on her glossy black tail. However, she felt a surge of delight at the fact that somepony actually was interested in getting to know her, let alone know her name. Big Macintosh flushed scarlet, it was hardly noticeable, and turned away. He opened his mouth to speak in his deep and masculine voice when Ani Me realized that she should be the one doing the introducing.

"I'm Ani Me. It's spelled A-N-I M-E, but it's pro-"

"Ani Me??", exclaimed Applejack in an excited tone, "That's the finest name if I ever dun heard one!" She beamed enviously at Ani Me before she began to take an eyeful of her and come to the realization that that wasn't the only thing she might have to envy.
"Come to think of it, partner, you're pretty perfect all over, huh? What do you think Big Macintosh? Ain't this the prettiest stranger you ever dun seen?" Applejack turned playfully toward her brother before she noticed that he had begun gathering supplies and tools in an embarrassed frenzy. Ani Me giggled at his expense and Applejack chimed in as well.

"Well big bro, you sure do have to work on your conversational skills if you're EVER gonna find a mare." Applejack squealed with delight and Big Macintosh froze in his hurried tracks.

"C-come on, AJ. Don't be so mean to me in front of our guest. You're being rude." Big Mac retaliated. His eyes wandered from his sisters smug green gaze, to Ani Me's emerald gaze of slight adoration. He averted his eyes immediately and awkwardly cleared his throat as he began to focus furiously on a dark spot of oil on the concrete floor.

Applejack's expressing of glee quickly converted to that of horror as her brother's words began to seep in; she was being a terrible host and that was not the Apple way! She gasped loudly, slightly startling Ani Me and Big Macintosh who both flinched in unison.

"Oh Ani Me!", Applejack exclaimed, swiftly turning to face her, her blonde mane following close behind. "I'm so sorry! I'm the worst hostess in the history of hostesses! Come with me sugar cube!" Applejack galloped frantically out the wide barn entrance as Big Macintosh raised his head to follow his sisters movement just as her tail disappeared from sight.

Ani Me trotted toward Big Macintosh, odd assortments of dust and hair accumulating at her hoofs with each step. Big Macintosh gulped silently before looking down at the mare who had his heart and body feeling so shaken and foreign. Ani Me giggled softly and stretched her neck out toward Big Mac, opening her mouth slightly before forming words. "I'm sorry for embarrassing you so much...I'm so thankful for your family's kindness. I will never be able to repay you for just the conversation you have given me this morning."

Big Macintosh glanced nervously down at his captor, "O-of course. Anythin' to help a pony in need."

Ani Me accepted this slowly, a pony in need...."If you don't mind me asking...why did Applejack ask if I am a bad stranger? I know there are some out there, but she said you've had encounters? Are you guys okay? Can I help you?"

Big Macintosh stared blankly at the plow in front of them before padding toward the door, "Nope. W-we'll be okay." His words meant nothing to Ani Me, she knew that this was not something that was going to be okay.

"You head on inside...I-I'll be in in awhile."

"Can I help you?" Ani Me felt an urge to help this pony in some way or another as he began to strap himself to the plow with the leather straps whose purpose was clear to her now.

"Nope...I c-can get it." Big Macintosh blushed furiously and he wished that Princess Celestia would just take him now, "Thank you though, Ani Me." He smiled slightly as he said this and Ani Me's heart fluttered slightly as she looked nervously at the dust ridden concrete ground. She glanced up once again to steal a last glimpse of the handsomest stallion she had seen in her life, disappear as his sister did only moments before.

"You can fit in, Ani Me, you can do this!" She whispered, closing her eyes furiously and shaking her head.

Though she wished from the depths of her fragile heart it would work, the beautiful dun earth pony feared that these words of encouragement that she was sharing with herself would not be enough to keep her pushing forward in her grand escape and desire to belong.

She hid her face behind a curtain of wavy black hair before doing just that, pushing forward.


* * * * *



Ani Me emerged from the barn to be greeted by blinding rays of sunlight. She closed her eyes tightly and shaded her face with a swift and lean hoof. Colorful figures of all shapes and sizes began to dance on the backs of her eyelids for a few seconds before she summoned the courage to re open her eyes to the harsh light. She squinted and gradually opened her eyes against the sting and was overwhelmed by lavish bundles of brilliantly colored field flowers, sturdy trees with branches adorned with lovely and tempting apples of wonderful colors, and many adorable and delicate creatures that scurried, flew, and glided about on the grounds of Sweet Apple Acres. Ani Me giggled and jumped about on the lush grass that covered every inch of fertile soil and let the fairly fresh dew soothe the hooves that had brought her so far. As Ani Me frolicked and gracefully played in the lawn, a set of eyes peered at her from afar. Big Macintosh attempted to conceal his presence behind a heavily barked tree on a hill some distance away. He smiled as he watched Ani Me spin in circles and flip her mane around in several different directions, enjoying the breeze that blessed the bird's and their flight.

"Eeyup, she's very beautiful, Applejack." He whispered almost inaudibly to himself. He sighed a deep sigh as he averted his eyes to resume his strenuous labor, a slight smile gracing his lips. Ani Me took a few more playful turns before she stopped to sniff the air that had a tinge of a recently familiar smell. "Big Red?" Ani Me turned in several circles to only glimpse the tail piece of a plow disappearing behind a magnificent tree upon a hill in the distance. 'Was that Big Red? Was he watching me?' Ani Me thought to herself. This assumption elated her heart and spirit. 'Does he like me?' Another thought that made Ani Me giggle like a school filly.

"Ani Me! Come inside, girl. Breakfast is on the stove and in the oven!" Applejack yelled from the Apple house porch before returning inside. Ani Me jumped from this sudden outburst and had at first thought it was him come to get her, but was immediately relieved that the voice didn't even belong to a stallion. She shook her head, hair elegantly falling to her side, before she began to canter toward the foreign house.

She placed a sturdy hoof on the first step leading to the richety porch that had several antique looking chairs swaying in the lovely morning breeze. As she began to advance, Ani Me heard quiet bickering from inside the house. She cocked her head to the side and raised a well defined eyebrow and slowly began to open the screen door to begin another journey. She padded her way into the house to find a foyer with several chests on either side of the walkway. The were varying sizes and some had apples that were elegantly carved into the varnished maple wood. She couldn't help but wonder what was their contents and their purpose. On the floor before her was a brilliant embroidered carpet made of fine thread. There was an elderly tree with verdant leaves and no apples. At the base of the tree, there were several ponies who seemed to be laughing as they feasted upon apples that littered the ground. Their faces were the perfect embodiment of happiness. Of what Ani Me longed for so dearly.

"Applebloom, will you please go bother somepony else." A raspy voice echoed from the living area to the foyer and bounced off the wall. Ani Me swiftly raised her head, verdurous eyes wide as plates. She let out a small squeak and attempted to control her scattered breathing.

"But Scriiiiiipt!!! I'm bored and Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle are busy!!!" A voice that appeared to belong to a young filly, replied pathetically.

"I don't care, leave me be." The gruff voice replied.

Ani Me heard the ruffling of papers and the sound of hoof steps begin to pursue her position. She began to panic and frantically looked side to side. Suddenly, a stallion with long slender legs, similar to her own, appeared before her with an unamused expression of his face. He was completely white except for his blonde tail and mane. His tail was medium length and very clean cut whereas his mane looked naturally slicked back as well as moderately long. She also noticed that his cutie mark was that of a rather old looking piece of paper and a quill. Ani Me gulped deeply and stared into the eyes of the intimidating pony.

"If you are here to fulfill the duty of delivering my parchment and quills, you are exactly thirty minutes late and I refuse to pay even a single bit." The stallion addressed Ani Me in a serious and low tone. Ani Me began to explain herself when a young tan filly, that she assumed was the one that she had heard earlier, peered around the corner at her.

"Script!!", she whispered childishly, eyes aglow, "Who is she?"

The white pony turned his slender head to face the small filly and shrugged, "I haven't the slightest idea, Applebloom. However, I am under the assumption that she is lost."

"I-I'm not lost!", Ani me interjected, "Applejack invited me in and...I had no idea that there was anypony else that lived here of than that red stallion that is hard at work on the fields and Applejack. Please forgive my intrusion, my name is Ani Me. I'm from the city of Fillydelphia. I am here to...visit PonyVille and get to possible live here." Ani Me put as much excitement in her voice as she could as she lied.

Script looked her up and down taking in her features. Her hair, however glossy, was unappealing to him and her coat was of a boring color. The only thing that drew his attention rather sharply was...

"You haven't a cutie mark." He said in an unusually excitable voice," How could a mare of Big Macintosh's age have no cutie mark? This is a phenomenon indeed!"

"Y-you don't have a cutie mark either? Man, I thought I was sad-" Applebloom began, emerging slightly from around the corner to stand with Script, the only pony in the conversation that was familiar to her.

Ani Me's eyes grew dim and she lowered her head in shame, her hair falling slowly around her face. Abblebloom immediately saw the wrong in what she had just interjected and rushed forward, "Oh! No! I'm sorry! I didn't mean it! Honest!"

"Applebloom, go play outside or something, Miss Ani Me and I have some things to talk about. I find her most intriguing! Please, come to my study." Script turned swiftly on his heels as Applebloom rolled her bright eyes and uttered rudely, "You mean your room?"

"Applebloom! Please-"

"Script! Applebloom! You two leave poor Ani Me alone!" Applejack, to Ani Me's relief, appeared from the kitchen and stamped a hoof down, "Now this here pony has been through enough without you two tormentin' her."

Script raised an eyebrow and huffed, "Fine, it was a pleasure to meet you Ani Me. I shall see you at a later time." He proceeded toward the opposite hallway and disappeared into a room. Applebloom looked down in shame and spoke quietly, "I'm sorry sis. I guess... I was just excited that an older pony doesn't have a cutie mark."

Applejack's eyes flitted swiftly to Ani Me's blank-flank. Shock tried to settle in before she quickly dismissed the new discovery and commenced to scold Applebloom.

"Go outside and help Big Macintosh, Applebloom"

"But Sis!" Applebloom began and scuttled toward her agitated sibling. Ani Me eyed them for awhile before looking around at their house some more. Old purple couch to her left, coffee table, a rocking chair in the far left corner.

"No buts!" Applejack glowered down at Applebloom before she submitted and reluctantly made her way to and out of the screen door.

Applejack turned her orangish-tan face from the screen door that Applebloom had just exited only seconds before, to face Ani Me who was standing awkwardly and pawing at the frills that extended from the ripe red carpet that took up most of the Apple's living space.

"I'm sorry about that Sugar Cube, I certainly wasn't the one who taught them to behave like that to such an obvious guest." Applejack chuckled weekly and pointed with a rough hoof in the direction of the kitchen that was only a few hoof steps away before continuing, "Come help me finish my Equestria famous apple pie-"

Before the young mare could finish, she was quickly interrupted by a small whimper to which caught her attention and drew her concern. She flashed her eyes and Ani Me who had her head ducked down, hiding behind her enviable mane, with a sullen and pathetic look on her face. She appeared to be suppressing her emotions as well as a few uncertain tears.

"Oh Sugar Cube! Please don't be so sad! They didn't mean it! They're just two ponies with nothing better to do than terrorize themselves and others. It's rather comedic actually." Applejack raced to Ani Me, who had just plopped done on her haunches, and put a concerned hoof around her shoulders, pulling a few of Ani Me's stray mane hairs. She leaned in closely to see if Ani Me would confess to her feelings and share or just merely continue to stare at the rug tassels that have attempted and almost succeeded at killing unsure hoofed Apple's in the past.

Ani Me breathed in brokenly before speaking, her voice cracking at first, "I-It's not them...It's me. I'm the biggest f-failure in all of E-equestria. I mean," Ani Me turned to look into her loving acquaintance's eyes who had an inquisitive look swirling about the iris's. "what mare of my age doesn't have a cutie mark? It's embarrassing and disgraceful. I try to hide it, but everyone notices and they stare and point evilly at my...blank-flank." The tears began to poor hotly from the rims of her jade eyes. They fell like droplets falling quietly from a recent and severe wound, piercing the ground and dispersing in a watery mess amongst the red tassels at their hooves. "I-I try t-to tell m-myself that I-it'll appear soon, b-but it hasn't. For the past twenty agonizing years I've waited in silence. Nothing. Nothing's there! Nothing will ever be there." She turned her contorted face in embarrassment glancing around, forcing a few more fresh and warm tears to glide from her eyelashes and shatter on the ground. Applejack removed her hoof and sauntered toward and in front of Ani Me's gaze, demanding her attention. Ani me raised her head half heartedly to stare into the eyes of a determined mare, the fine hairs on her cheeks glistening damp in the reflection that Applejack's eyes provided.

"Now lookie here, I don't know much aboutcha and even I can tell that you have amounted to more than most folks in all of Equestria. A cutie mark is a mark of something you may like or are good at. However, that don't mean that you don't know it, here." Applejack raised her left hoof and gently placed it upon Ani Me's chest, feeling her gentle and warm heartbeat from within. "what you believe and know here is what counts, not whether you have a fancy mark on your flank or not.

Ani Me looked wondrously into Applejack's meaningful eyes and felt an emotion she had never felt before. She cared. Someone cared about Ani Me. No one here was going to mistreat Ani Me..."Thank you, Applejack. I shall keep your words close to my heart." She smiled as she used her leg to rid her face of stray and lost tears before she noticed a smoke about their heads. "Um, Applejack? Tell me that's normal around here."

"Say wha now, honey?" Applejack traced Ani Me's blurred vision to the strange smoke...

"Oh sweet Celestia! My apple pie!"

The slightly distraught mare lunged quickly for the kitchen's entrance and hurled herself at the oven that was indeed belching out flames from the pathetic pie within. She flung it open as Ani Me slowly heaved herself onto all fours and trotted toward the kitchen.

"Applejack? Is it going to live?" She asked quietly.

"Darn it!", yelled the pony, exasperatedly, "I've completely ruined it." Applejack fell onto her posterior, shoved her face into her callused fore hooves, and shook her head. "There goes breakfast! Right down the drain. I'm sorry Ani Me, I'm guessin' we'll have to eat breakfast in town."

"What's all this hear fussin' and hollerin'?" An elderly yet spunky voice emitted from the room beyond the kitchen. "What's this here smoke doin' in tha house?" A wrinkly mare that was painted a calming and soft lime green color shuffled into the kitchen, squinting to try and decipher who all was within. She approached Ani Me and peered at her. This made Ani Me avoid her gaze and let her eyes wander aimlessly around the room. "You sure did get tall, Applejack. And since when to you wear your mane down? Are you going through one of them there stages?"

"Granny Smith! That's not me, that's Ani Me!" Applejack inserted herself in between the two and glared down at her granny. "I keep tellin' ya that ya need to go to somepony to check that eyesight of yers."

"Oh hush now, Applejack. I just woke up, youngin'." She tisked and moved past her toward Ani Me. "Ani me, huh? You didn't tell me there was gonna be any visitors, Applejack. What's gotten you so array lately? Is she Big Macintosh's special somepony? Are they serious? You come to see old Granny Smith now didja? Well I'll be darned! He sure got himself a goodun!" She gazed blurrily at Ani Me, willing her vision to clear so she could view that face of the pony that she hasn't realized is truly beautiful.

This thought flustered Ani Me and she surged forward in harsh objection, "No ma'am! I'm merely a guest here in your beautiful home. I shall be only a few days then I'll be out of your hair. Granny Smith is it? I love your cutie mark, I bet Applejack's pie was going to look just as scrumptious as that if I hadn't pouted selfishly earlier." She smiled slightly at the elderly pony's now scrutinizing look.

"Oh pony feathers, when are you and Big Macintosh tyin' tha knot, youngin'? 'Bout time that stallion got his game on!"

Ani me looked up pleadingly at Applejack who was struck with horror. She jumped at Granny Smith and began pushing her out of the kitchen and laughed nervously, "Hahaha okay, Granny. How 'bout you get ready ta go into town and we can talk later, 'kay? Hahaha."

"Didja burn our breakfast again, Applejack? I tell ya child, you need to be payin' a more attention."

"GET READY!" Applejack snapped and fumed.

"Whatever you say. See how she treats her elders, Ani Me? I certainly didn't teach her to act like that. I'll see you two fillies in a few!" She flaunted out of the kitchen leaving Applejack rolling her eyes and Ani Me giggling.

"Sorry about that, she's so stubborn!" She addressed Ani Me, removing her apron and presuming to yell at Script, "Script! Get ready! We're going into town for breakfast!"

"Oh joy, no more of that poison you attempt to pass off as edible victuals." He projected from his quarters, papers and books shifting around.

"Come on, Ani Me. It's time to introduce ya to PonyVille!"

Applejack exited the kitchen leaving a forlorn looking Ani Me and a seriously burnt apple pie in her quake.

Author's Note:

Yeeeeaaaah that sucked lol