• Published 5th Jan 2014
  • 5,272 Views, 100 Comments

Whiteout - Hyper Atomic



Two strangers deal with being stuck together in a world far from normal, and if they’re not careful, they’ll end up in an asylum … again.

  • ...
8
 100
 5,272

Snowfall

Chapter 1: Snowfall

I continued to stare with listless eyes at the padded floor. I could still see my tail, even tucked away as it was between my hind legs. The white and cobalt colored hair was noticeably frazzled, a quality that I'm sure my mane also sported. The only thing in the room that wasn't injury-proofed was the small recessed light in the ceiling, far out of reach. I sighed, purely through my sinuses since the muzzle around my face was doing an excellent job holding my jaw shut. There was no way for me to gauge how much time had passed without a clock to check, nor a window to even guess the time of day.

My heart beat as loud as a drum in my ears with nothing else to distract me. The way the jacket forced me to hug myself made it so that my left foreleg pressed tightly against my chest. I could feel each and every one of the heavy "lub-dubs" my agitated heart was making. After counting over two hundred of them, I gave up. My body slumped against the wall as I let my head rest on the soft padding.

At least that voice had finally left me, maybe it was gone for good.

-So, I leave you alone like you asked, and you promptly wind up in an institution. Nice work.-

… speak of the devil.

-I might have been able to help out, you know. Offer suggestions … but you don’t need my help, right?-

“Mmmmmphhh…” I groaned through my bindings.

-What’s that? You’ve got it all under control? I’m sorry, I didn’t quite catch that. I can’t read your mind you know.-

An annoyed grunt escaped as I rolled my eyes.

The voice seemed to sigh. -I suppose I can help you out, but I’m still expecting an apology.-

“Hhmmmph!” I grumbled cynically before staring down at my back hooves again. As if a lone disembodied voice would be able to help me with anything right now.

-That’s fine. I guess you don’t want someone to talk to in order to pass the time then.-

The room was quiet again, the steady rhythm of my heartbeat the only sound that broke the silence. Someone, surely, must enjoy watching me suffer. I was not looking forward to what I was about to do, but it was still preferable to being alone. I picked my head up from where it rested against the wall and looked around one more time. With the room still empty, I cleared my throat loud enough to be heard.

-Yes?-

I glanced downward at the straps holding my mouth tightly closed, then rolled my eyes again before sighing in frustration.

-I can see that, yes. You can still nod, can’t you? There’s more than one way to communicate.-

I nodded in agreement.

-Good. So one nod for ‘I’m sorry’ or you can shake your head for ‘I’m a stubborn jerk.’ No rush.-

A defeated sigh was my real answer before I reluctantly dipped my head.

-That wasn’t so bad, eh? Well, bad luck about the jacket and muzzle, but you’re out of the cold at least. That’s got to count for something.-

My eyebrow twitched on its own, a small chuckle evading the confines placed on my jaw. This was it. This was my life from now on. Trapped in an asylum attempting to stay sane by talking to a voice that only I can hear. Fantastic…

-I suppose this is as good a time as any for a practical test.-

“Hrm?” I puzzled, unsure what it … he? … was alluding to, not that I was surprised at anything he said anymore.

-Tilt your head to the left, if you’d be so kind.-

It’s not as if I had anything better to do. With a weary motion I complied, turning the room 45 degrees. I didn’t have more than a few seconds to wonder how odd I must look before there was a slight tug on the muzzle strap from behind. It was followed by a much sharper one in the other direction when I heard the unmistakable sound of a buckle coming undone.

“Hmm…?” I puzzled with an upward inflection as the straps around my jaw loosened.

-and … voilà!-

The offending restraint jerked forward suddenly, allowing my mouth to hang ajar in equal parts surprise and relief. My attention dropped to my lap where the offending muzzle landed. Almost instinctively I stretched my jaw wide and curled my tongue in a massive yawn.

“Wha-? B-but how?!” I managed to articulate, eyes still locked on the restraint lying on my lap.

-Believe me, if I knew how, I’d feel much better too.-

“Huh?” I crinkled my nose at his comment while also trying to get some of the matted down fur on the bridge of my own muzzle to pop back up.

-I got bored one night as you were sleeping it away. Have I mentioned that yet? That I can’t sleep? I didn’t know a body was required for that, but there you have it. You’ve clearly gotten the better deal of the two of us.-

I looked over the straight jacket before cocking an eyebrow, “...clearly.”

-ANYWAY, I discovered that I could move little bits of stuff around if I concentrated on them in just the right way. I’ve been working at it over the last week we’ve been stuck together, which brings us back to now.-

“So why don’t you continue to prove yourself useful and undo this infernal jacket then?!” I grumbled irritably.

-Oh, I see how it is. You only care about what I can do, not who I am.-

The muzzle lurched from where it sat and bobbed slightly as it hovered inches from my face.

-I’ve only just gotten the hang of controlling it this well, do you really want to find out if I can put it back on just as easily?-

My eyes widened a bit at his sudden outburst. He had a point. While I had concerned myself thus far with avoiding him, ignoring him, or now only viewing him as merely a means to an end, I hadn’t even bothered with more than his name.

“You’re right,” I let a heavy sigh escape from my gratefully unclasped mouth as I hung my head, “...I’m sorry, Aleksandr.”

The muzzle hit the floor soundlessly, save for a soft clink from the metal buckle.

-Thank you ... and just Alek is fine.-

His tone was much calmer again.

-Let’s see what I’ve got to work with on this jacket…-

Before any attempt could be made, however, the muffled sound of hoofsteps could be heard approaching from the hallway outside along with a pair of voices. My eyes darted to the padding covered door that nearly blended into the rest of the wall. They quickly fell to the restraints that were in no way, shape, or form still attached to my face. “Uhh … any ideas on this one?” I quietly pleaded to my compatriot.

There was a hollow knocking as the tumblers rotated inside the door lock.

-That could be hard to explain … uhh, try and act casual?-

“I’m in a padded room with nearly zero freedom of movement. Do you really think casual is going to cut it?”

-Well, at this point it’s unlikely they’d believe anything you say so just feign ignorance. With any luck they’ll assume it was their mistake.-

I pulled an agitated breath as the door finally swung open to reveal what must be this world’s equivalent to orderlies. They were both fairly well built ponies with neither wings nor horn, and they also managed to master the art of looking simultaneously bored and angry.

Managing to crack a very uncomfortable smile, which neither orderly returned, I watched as the leftmost stallion, a sturdy and auburn coated pony with a short ash grey mane glanced downward at the discarded muzzle on the floor before slowly lifting his gaze back up to meet mine.

“It … uhh, wasn’t fastened properly?” I nervously offered, breaking the silence.

“Apparently…” the other monotoned, “He seems calm enough, doctor. Why don’t you have a look at him.”

A rather scrawny looking unicorn graced us with his presence after the orderly advised him he wasn't about to be murdered by a crazy pony. His coat was a rather dull shade of yellow that resembled mustard and his mane and tail were a slicked back deep brown with a single streak of grey through it. He wore a parabolic reflector around his head and a pair of horn-rimmed spectacles upon his muzzle.

"Glad to see you've finally relaxed from the frenzy we found you in." He stared hard, massaging the corner of his jaw, "Though I can't say my bruise feels likewise."

I raised an eyebrow. "Bruise...?"

-You landed a pretty good kick while you thrashed around before they managed to restrain you.-

My eyes darted off to the side at the sound of Aleks' voice, acknowledging him with a short nod before focusing back on the doctor.

"Yes ... though I wonder. What's the last thing you remember? What day it is, perhaps? Anything at all from market square?" The orderlies had shifted to either side of me, while the doctor seemed to be pensively studying the ridge between my eyes. He wasn’t looking at me, so much as through me.

My face flushed as tiny beads of sweat began to wet my forehead. "I uh... umm..." Try as I might I really couldn't come up with a day. As for the market square, the last thing I remembered was an angry mob of guards tackling me to the ground. I switched my gaze to the orderlies as they approached my sides, their stares cold and calculating like an animal ready to pounce.

"Don't worry, there's no wrong answer," The unicorn peered over his lenses, "we're just trying to figure out how best to ... help you."

"...Help?" I swallowed hard as I turned back to the doctor who was now inches away from my face and trying to stare a hole through my skull. "What kind of help are you referring to?" I asked, unable to keep my voice from quavering.

A smirk formed as he let out a chuckle, "Why, any kind that we can to put you back in a sound and proper mind." The doctor leaned back slightly. "Wouldn't you like that?"

"I think ... that I'd like to be out of this awful Houdini sweater! That would certainly help my ... mind." I answered semi-sarcastically.

"I would love to help you out, really I would, but it's there for your own safety. We can't take it off until we're sure you won't hurt yourself." The wry smile on his face grew, "I'm sorry, my hooves are tied."

-That cheeky asshole.-

I let an angry snort escape through my nostrils as I furrowed my brow. I gave the jacket a pull as I shuffled around trying to get into a new position. My wings, while still profoundly alien, had fallen asleep long ago from being so tightly bound underneath the canvas. It was beginning to wear on me as my anxiety rose with each passing minute they were confined. I exhaled in an attempt to calm down before replying. "The last thing I remember in the market was the goon squad tackling me to the ground. After that... everything gets kind of fuzzy..."

"Good," the doctor turned to the brown stallion with a slight nod, "Then you remember what happened before that, yes? Why don't you tell me all about what got you so riled up."

Where was I to start? Hearing a disembodied voice that followed me wherever I went? Learning how to walk again, but this time on all fours and with hooves? Discovering that unicorns can actually do magic? My facial expression twisted into a scowl as I tried like hell to think up an answer that wouldn’t earn me permanent residency. Whether it be lie or half-truth, anything would be better than honesty here.

"Perhaps you could tell us who this 'Enter Net' is and why they would 'never believe you with all the pictures in the world', Hmm?" the unicorn asked pointedly.

I couldn't hold back a snicker at the doctor's last words, my lips curling upwards into a smug grin.

"I'm sure miss Peach Breeze thought it was funny too as you shouted it while using her vendor stand as an impromptu springboard." He continued, not finding my antics at all humorous.

I sighed and let my head rest against the soft wall. "It's not a who, it's a what." I replied like a know-it-all. "It's a huge planet wide network where people can share lots of information with each other."

-Oh dear god...-

"Well what else what I supposed to-!" I retorted before I realized my mistake too late. My face blanched as I quickly glanced back to the doctor.

-Well, not talk to me, for one.-

I would have shot back a sarcastic comment of my own if the doctor's stare hadn't just doubled in creepiness as his placating smile returned, "I see, does your 'friend' have anything he wants to add to our little conversation?"

-Tell him it was an inside joke in poor taste ... or you thought one of the orderlies said something ...ANYTHING! Just don't do-

"You know what?! I bet he would! Lets ask him shall we?" I had lost any form of self control by that point. All the depreciating stares, the unknown amount of time restrained and that eerie condescending doctor were too much for me to ignore any longer.

-...that-

"Hey invisible friend! Would you like to show yourself to this creepy ass doctor? Oh you wouldn't? Hmmm.... What a surprise!"

-This is bad. Oh so very, very bad...-

I snorted in annoyance. My breaths were coming ragged after my little adrenaline surge. If it weren't for the fur and thick mane covering my temples, they would surely have been bulging.

Still, the dull yellow unicorn continued his stare as I caught movement from my left. The brown stallion now carried a glass syringe in his mouth. The tip glistened as a lone drop of who knows what held fast to the needle, likely the same drug filling the bowels of the device.

“No,” my eyes shot wide as he began to close the already scant distance between us.

“Don’t worry, it’s just some medicine to help ease your nerves.”

“NO!” I bellowed, kicking out with my unbound legs in an attempt to get away. “Stay back!” I toppled over onto my side, a jolt of pain lancing through my pinned wing. A pair of sturdy hooves pressed me down into the floor before I could struggle any further. I felt my tail being raised against my will in a most undignified way to allow a clear shot at my flank.

"Stop! This isn't right!" I yelled as tears pooled in my eyes.

"Exactly, and we’re going to do everything we can to make you right again," the demon in the guise of the doctor replied as he nodded for his aide to proceed.

There was absolutely nothing I could do. Every attempt to free myself only pushed me deeper into the floor. I felt the sharp sting of the needle in my left flank followed by the ungodly chill of whatever medicine they were pumping me with. I took in a short gasp through clenched teeth as the icy sensation traveled down my leg.

"There we are," his voice was positively dripping with his own sense of vindication. "Now, just let that get to work and you'll start to feel much better. We'll be back to check in on you later."

My tail was released, allowing it to fall back over areas that I preferred covered. The weight of the orderly finally lifted off my back and I took a deep breath as the compression against my ribs vanished. They didn't even give me the courtesy of straightening me up before taking their leave. I blinked away a tear in time to catch the door close with a muted thunk, leaving me alone again.

Well, almost alone.

"Alek?" I ventured. Thinking about it now, this is probably the first time since ending up here that I actually wanted to hear from him. The room remained profoundly quiet, the only sound once more that of my heartbeat.

"What...?" Why in the hell wasn't he answering? He made it a point in no uncertain terms that I knew of his presence at all times up until now. "Aleks...?!" I asked again, this time with detectable desperation.

For the second time, the sound of the lock cycling echoed through the door. I braced myself for whoever's come to torment me now. With a steely creek the portal swung wide, leaving me with the last thing I expected to see.

A set of floating keys.

-Sorry I couldn't talk, there was a pocket that was in dire need of picking.-

My mouth hung agape as freedom beckoned to me. I struggled to get off of my side and sit up. With my adrenaline wearing thin, the wing I had been laying on took the opportunity to stage protest at the abuse it had endured, the dull aches turning to pain.

"Okay, that was pretty damn cool!" I said while fighting to get up.

-We have to HURRY!-

His tone had picked up in urgency.

-They've likely given you some form of sedative, and it’ll only be minutes before you'll be too out of it to stage any kind of escape-

The buckles and straps holding me in started being pulled at roughly, care evidently forsaken in exchange for speed. First one strap, then another came loose. My left foreleg was next to be freed, and I wasted no time in using it to hurry the process along.

When the jacket finally gave up the ghost and fell around me in a heap, I stood up on all fours. While initially shaky, the first thing I managed to do was spread my pained wings out in a very exaggerated stretch, their joints popping audibly as they unfolded. "Ooohhh, that feels soooo good!" I said with elation.

-Fantastic. Now lets get out of here before they notice you're gone.-

I looked toward the open door before trotting up to it and peering around the corner. The hallway ran in both directions with cell doors spaced evenly along its length.

"You don't have to tell me twice!" I grinned as I quietly made my way out of the padded room and down the hallway. "Umm..." I mumbled as I leaned unsteadily against the wall for a moment.

-Oh, right ... physical exertion is going to accelerate the drug’s uptake.-

"Everything ... looks purple." I stated while casting my gaze around the dimly lit hallway. It was true, my world was taking on a violet hue and I was starting to feel a slight jello-like quality to my legs.

-God, are they using Ketamine to dope their patients? You need to stay focused as long as possible! Just keep moving.-

I shook my head, trying to chase away the haze.

-And if you happen to see a white rabbit, please, PLEASE, don't follow it.-

"Ketamine?" I responded as I stepped away from the wall and worked my way along the hallway. "Special K? I thought that was used as a horse tranquilizer?!" I stopped for only a second to cover my face and let out an agitated sigh. "...Not a word!"

-Please. Who am I going to tell?-

Rounding the corner, I could just make out a stairwell at the end of the hall. However, halfway there stood what appeared to be a nurse's station where a familiar looking brown stallion was sorting files ... or flowers? I shook my head and squinted, noticing that it was indeed files. I took a few silent yet increasingly unsteady steps up to the corner of the station. The orderly was engrossed in humming some creepy tune which had an interesting echo forming around it.

-You're going to have to crawl in front of the desk where he can't see you.-

It was becoming harder and harder to stay alert. I took a deep breath and slinked my way in front of his workstation. The newly purpled floor tiles being my only judge of distance.

-Devon-

I pulled myself across another tile.

-DEVON!-

"What?" I hissed under my breath.

-You're humming the mission impossible theme.-

My heart skipped a beat as a throat cleared itself above me. I agonizingly slowly turned my head up until I was face to face with big brown’s stoic countenance leaning over the front of his desk.

-Well, time for plan B. Run!-

I turned my attention to the open stairway door ahead. The hallway had begun to twist and turn itself into a contorted mess, the floor melting up onto the wall. I hoped I was running straight, the good news being that the doorway was getting closer, but so were the clattering echo of hoofsteps behind me.

“A patient is loose! Light blue pegasus heading for the north stair!”

-Shit. Go up, take us to the next floor!-

I hit the stairs at an uneven canter. First stair, left hoof; second stair, right hoof; third stair, right... no wait! My balance fled as I attempted to correct my mistake, hooves scrambling and nose impacting one of the approaching steps.

-Keep going!-

I looked back as the chuck holding the door ajar was abruptly yanked away, leaving the door to swing shut. Moments later, a few thuds came from the other side as something heavy slammed into it.

"Serves you right!" I hollered as I got my hooves back under me. I worked my way up the stairs which just moments ago only seemed like maybe ten or twelve. So far I was up to twenty and still climbing. "What ... the hell ... is going on?!" I gasped past my exhausted breaths.

-You have to move quickly! I can't keep the door closed forever!-

As if on cue, the pounding redoubled as the staff continued trying to force their way in.

"I am!" I yelled back, "Theesh shtupid shtairs are never ending!" My tongue felt like lead as I struggled to talk around the growing numbness. When I reached out for the next step, my hoof found none. A short stumble and a glance forward as I steadied myself brought my salvation into view. At the end of a short hallway, a window to the outside shone with the very light of heaven.

I staggered forward with renewed effort, even as my peripheral vision started to fade. Escape was finally within reach. "Hey! I found an exshit!" I slurred before taking off at an unbalanced gallop towards the window.

-Good. You're almost too far away for me to stay by the doooooOOOAUGH!-

The light fixtures that lined the short hallway shifted from their recently familiar purple into that of a kaleidoscopic nightmare. The hollow sounds of my hooves on the floor tiles carried echoes that were the equivalent of a wrecking ball striking the side of bank vault. Cognition was quickly retreating, making way for its replacement, delirium.

-I will never get used to how uncomfortable that is when you drag me along like that,- spoke a floating rouge haze as it passed me. -They'll be heading up the stairs any second now. Out the window, hurry!-

The voice reverberated throughout my mind, repeating itself in echoes that continued dropping octaves as it spoke. The mist gestured and the wooden frame slid open, a frigid breeze assaulting my senses. I put all the energy I had left into my back legs as my hooves met the floor and sprang into a leap that carried me out the window and into the familiar frigid air of the city. A victorious grin spread across my muzzle but it didn't last very long as I remembered that we had been on the second floor.

I landed roughly on the snow capped roof next door. White powder flew everywhere as I clambered for purchase on the ice slick shingles. I couldn't grip anything with these hooves as I slid down the incline with increasing speed. With the transition from ice covered roof to open air on my back hooves, all I had time for was a desperate yelp before my front hooves followed suit and I toppled backwards onto the waiting ground below. I landed in what could only be described as absolute filth. There was a stench that surrounded me that carried a hint of nausea with it. However, the drug it seemed had finally reached its peak and I found my consciousness wavering. My pupils were slowly retreating upwards into my skull and my eyelids had suddenly taken on an extra twenty pounds. I had no idea where I was but it didn't matter anymore.

-I seem to have misjudged your remaining coordination. My apologies-

I could only groan in response as my last conscious thought was of the stenciled lettering on the side of the bin next to me that read: Fillydelphia Sanitation.