• Published 31st Dec 2013
  • 2,552 Views, 3 Comments

The Sanctuary in the Orchard - seaponytearsandprovolone



Not everything went as planned when Twilight undid her spell on Fluttershy.

  • ...
1
 3
 2,552

Sanctuary

Not everything went as planned when Twilight undid her spell on Fluttershy.

The little pony still attacked juice boxes in Pinkie’s fridge, stalking and pouncing onto the boxed fruit the way only a pony might. Applejack was forced to scold her more than once for nipping at her cutie mark, and even though the farm pony told her not to, she sucked the flesh from the skin of apples in the orchard every night, sanctuary be damned. The entire orchard was her sanctuary, and despite Applejack’s and Pinkie Pie’s pleading, Fluttershy couldn’t help but dangle from the branches on occasion, finding her tail still somehow pliant like Pinkie’s.

Though her friends were disappointed, Twilight by her failed spell, Applejack by her apple theft, Rainbow Dash by her inability to gain cool fangs like Fluttershy’s, and Rarity by her unladylike dangling, nopony was really surprised. What surprised the little ponies, as always, was one Pinkamina Diane Pie.

Fluttershy learned her way around the orchard quickly enough, careful not to alert Timberwolves, Winona, or Granny Smith, whom she found the scariest obstacle on the farm. Kicking up dirt, she listened for any unusual sounds, but found nothing. In the clear, Fluttershy licked her pointy fang, now used to the intrusion in her mouth, sniffing the air and feeling the wind for directions. Following the moon, she came to a large apple tree, flying up to a high branch and sighing happily, smelling the juicy apples all around her.

Craning her neck, she reached to pierce an apple with her fangs – but she heard a noise. A shuffling, in the trees. Scaredy-pony that Fluttershy was, she hesitated, listening for further sounds. Unsettled, she tried to stay as quiet as possible, plucking the apple from the tree. She didn’t bite into it, faltering – she was certain she’d heard something. But there was nothing, after all, so Fluttershy sucked the apple, relaxing into the tree.

But there was a shuffling again – Fluttershy turned her head quickly – yes, there, the leaves were rustling right in the tree she was in. Holding a screech, Fluttershy moved slowly, so slowly, backing up on the branch, too frozen to take flight. She tried to ask who was there but only a small squeak came out – scared, she tried to lift her wings, but they felt glued to her side.

The rustling stopped again. She didn’t let out the breath she was holding, though – never too quick to relief, was Fluttershy. Immobilized, she looked down – wow, she had chosen an awfully high branch – her vision blurred with the height. She looked again to the source of the noise that had now quieted.

She stood like that for some time, unable to move or speak. She heard the noise – again, a rustling sounded out. Mustering up what little courage the pony had in her big heart, she squeaked out a small, “Who’s there?”

The noise stopped, and the leaves stopped moving.

“Fluttershy?” A familiar voice said from the other side of the tree.

In disbelief, Fluttershy pulled back a curtain of leaves to reveal – yes, it was she, after all – Pinkie Pie, but she could hardly believe it.

“What are you doing here?” Fluttershy whispered.

“I could ask you the same question!” Pinkie Pie shouted indignantly, crossing her front legs.

“I’m sorry, Pinkie, I just couldn’t help it, the apples – they smelled so juicy. Oh, you’re here to catch me in the act, aren’t you? Oh, I’m so ashamed.”

Fluttershy threw a hoof over her muzzle and to her eyes and began to weep.

Heart softening, Pinkie uncrossed her front legs, stepping toward Fluttershy slowly – unusual, for Pinkie Pie.

“No, Fluttershy. It’s okay! It’s only natural a fruit bat pony would be in an apple orchard at night, after all,” Pinkie sighed.

What a strange sentence, but it was true. Fluttershy sniffled.

“Really?”

Pinkie Pie nodded.

Usually when Pinkie Pie behaved strangely, nopony asked questions – the unusual behavior kind of came with the package. Still, Fluttershy couldn’t take her mind off of it.

“So then… Why are you here, Pinkie?”

Fluttershy cocked her head as Pinkie sighed again. Something tugged at her – something…”

Fluttershy gasped, her fangs gleaming in the moonlight.

“You’re not - ?!” Fluttershy was at a loss for further words.

Pinkie sighed with a closed mouth, eyes pointed downward. Stepping further into the light, she smiled sadly, revealing – yes – two pointy white fangs.

Fluttershy clasped a hoof to her own fanged mouth so as not to gasp again. The juice boxes in Pinkie’s fridge – her insistence for Fluttershy to stay away from the orchard – her pliant tail! The thoughts raced in her head.

“How long-“ She squeaked.

“Oh, I think I’ve had these things ever since I was young,” she said.

“Oh my.”

Fluttershy had never noticed them before, how bizarre.

“Cool, huh?”

Fluttershy said nothing, thinking sadly of the pony she used to be before… Well, before all this.

“What’s wrong, Flutters?” Pinkie asked, leaning into her friend and nudging her with her nose. Fluttershy smiled, trying not to cry.

“I miss the old Fluttershy,” she said, voice wavering. Pinkie only hesitated for a small second before she spoke.

“I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Old Pinkie Pie is proud of new Fluttershy. As long as you’re still the same on the inside,” she said, lifting Fluttershy’s chin so her gaze would meet her own, “That’s what counts!”

Fluttershy let one tear drop but laughed a little, relieved.

“Really?”

“Absotively posolutely!” Pinkie said, “You’re doing great! What’s a few apples for a good friend, right? You’re still the nicest pony around I know!”

Fluttershy smiled.

“Thank you, Pinkie Pie.”

Pinkie smiled, her teeth glimmering.

“Well, I should be going! You enjoy your apples – the ones in this tree are irresistible!”

And with that, Pinkie spat out her plastic fangs and jumped out of the tree.

Fluttershy’s eyes boggled. Plastic fangs!? What about – what about – she sighed, planting herself on the branch. She peered down – there was Pinkie, who landed safely and was bouncing her way out of the orchard.

That Pinkie Pie was an anomaly. Nothing could explain her. Fluttershy giggled to herself for a full minute before gaining her composure, grasping an apple in her hoof and dangling from the tree once again. Her silhouette remained unaltered by her bat-pony form, outlined by the light of Luna’s moon.

Author's Note:

This was done for the Writer's Training Grounds #001 for Equestria Daily. I hope you guys like it!

Comments ( 3 )

Bah you had me going

I totally believed it and then lol plastic fangs

PINKIE PIE IS A BAT PONY TOO?????!
WHAAAAAAT????!!:pinkiegasp::pinkiegasp:

*ten seconds later*
Plastic fangs?

I hate you so much right now for that...:flutterrage:

Login or register to comment