• Published 26th Dec 2013
  • 4,983 Views, 44 Comments

A New Hero: Awakening - Alex The Lone Wolf



A almost lifeless stallion embarks on a bizarre lifestyle with six other mares after one fateful night.

  • ...
16
 44
 4,983

An Uncalled Responsibility

Nightmare Moon continued to cackle loudly as, what was supposed to be her mane, clouded up the air space above her, which also served as a nesting site for thunder and lightning.

"Seize her!" The Mayor ordered, pointing viciously towards the seemingly hostile pony. "Only she knows where the Princess is!"

Princess Celestia's royal guards quickly ascended and headed towards Nightmare Moon.

"Stand back, you fools!" She shouted intimidatingly and shot out lightning towards them, hitting each target. She continued to laugh at her chaotic behavior.

Afterwards, her transparent mane surrounded her, and she suddenly vanished in a flash.

Everypony immediately began panicking and even screaming in fear. I could only look around in alarm as some others even pushed and shoved me in a hurry. Becoming irritated from this behavior, I pushed and pulled myself out in light aggression until I was near the doorway. I arrived at this spot just to see that same lavender unicorn escape and flee out the building in a rush.

How did she know about this pony? Does she know about the situation with Princess Celestia too? I have to know…but…I can't bring myself to talk with her…

I looked up and noticed Rainbow Dash had already been out. She was flying after the unicorn.

I could follow them…as long as I'm not seen… It's better than sitting and doing nothing. I want to do something for once… I hate doing nothing. And this is my chance… It's for the Princess…

I grunted in slight conflict that was occurring inside my mind and nonetheless forced myself to run after them, preparing to stay out of their sight.


"And just what are the Elements of Harmony?!" I heard a muffled exclaimed voice while passing by a lit tree. I stopped and looked to my right, noticing a window. There, I saw Rainbow Dash and that unicorn that seemed to know about Nightmare Moon. "And how did you know about Nightmare Moon, huh?" Rainbow Dash inquired about suspiciously. "Are you a spy?" She questioned harshly before Applejack pulled her away by her tail. "Whoa!"

Even though I knew it wasn't exactly the ethic thing to do, I planted myself on the lowest part of the window and tried to hear through as much as possible. If I was going to prove any help towards this disaster, I had to have an idea of what to do…

"Simmer down, Sally." Applejack intervened. "She ain't no spy. But she sure knows what's going on." She and the others, Pinkie Pie, Rarity, and the yellow pegasus, walked towards this unicorn. "Don't you, Twilight?"

Twilight… So that's her name… I analyzed the unicorn closer. I'd never been able to look at a pony this long, but since they were unaware of my presence, I was able to actually…see her. I don't know why…but that name sounded familiar. I don't think I've ever seen this pony before but…why? Why does that name sound so familiar? After having that name float around in my mind, the color of her coat and mane soon familiarized with my brain. I started feeling like I have seen this unicorn before…

After the moment of silence, Twilight lowered her head and began explaining. "I read all about the prediction of Nightmare Moon. Some mysterious objects called the Elements of Harmony are the only things that can stop her, but I don't know what they are, where to find them, I don't even know what they do!"

"'The Elements of Harmony: A Reference Guide.'" Pinkie Pie mentioned from a shelf behind them.

Twilight rushed towards the shelf, indirectly pushing Pinkie out of the way. "How did you find that?!"

"It was under 'E'!" Pinkie Pie bounced cheerfully passed her, answering in a sing-song voice.

"Oh…" Twilight merely reacted. Nevertheless, Twilight brought out the book with her magic and opened it to read it. "There are six Elements of Harmony, but only five are known: Kindness, Laughter, Generosity, Honesty and Loyalty. The sixth is a complete mystery…" As she continued speaking, I couldn't help but feel a sudden chill run down my spine. I quickly looked back, but saw nothing out of the ordinary. I hesitantly looked back in. "It is said, the last known location of the five elements was in the ancient castle of the royal pony sisters. It is located in what is now…" Twilight paused for a moment and brought the book down. "…the Everfree Forest…"

The yellow pegasus placed both her hooves to her mouth and gasped lightly. "That's too dangerous… We can't go in there…"

Rarity tapped her hoof on her chin for a moment and began speaking afterwards. "Why don't we bring another pony with us? There was a nice stallion that helped bring my bags to Town Hall for the décor. Alex was his name. I believe it'd be more comforting if he were to accompany us."

Pinkie Pie's ears flopped down and she shook her head sadly. "I wouldn't count your hopes up. He wouldn't come to Twilight's welcoming party with me…"

I flopped my own ears down and looked away sadly, remembering the scene.

"Wait a minute." Applejack brought up. "You aren't talking about the quiet fella, are you? The blue one?"

"Quiet?" Rarity questioned, placing some thought in it. "Well, when I met him, he wasn't so cheery or talkative. Definitely not like Pinkie Pie."

"I think I know who you're talking about!" Rainbow Dash added. "Yeah! I was going to let him see me do some amazing tricks, but then he seemed to get mad over it or something…"

"I wouldn't be surprised if he did." Applejack returned, sending her slightly bothered eyes. "Poor guy seems to want to keep to himself. It certainly doesn't help if some boasting pony comes bragging to him."

"Hey, I—" Rainbow Dash suddenly gasped. "Oh gosh! I totally forgot that me and him were having a race! I think I might have ditched him when I met Twilight!"

"Calm your nerves." Applejack reacted. "I highly doubt he was racing with you."

"Yes." Rarity included. "He doesn't seem like one of those roughhousing stallions. He's more…calm and collected, if you say so."

Applejack sighed. "It's not just that… He doesn't really seem to want to spend time with other ponies. I mean… I invited him to stay over at my farm for a while…but he didn't really seem like he wanted to…"

"You said his name was…Alex?" Twilight unexpectedly asked.

"Yes, why?" Rarity answered. "Do you know him?"

"I…I'm not sure…" She returned, looking at the floor a bit. Then, she shook her head to focus. "We can't be talking about this right now! The Elements of Harmony need to be found!"

"But what about the Everfree Forest?" Applejack reminded.

"Well, you don't have to worry about going. I'm going alone." Twilight stated, beginning to walk towards the door.

"No way. We're going too!" Rainbow Dash returned, flying above her confidently. "We can't just let you go stop Nightmare Moon all by yourself!"

"Yeah!" Pinkie Pie shouted. "Maybe she wants some pie!"

I heard the door open, causing me to quickly hide behind a bush.

"I don't think she's lookin' for pie, Pinkie Pie…" Applejack's voice responded.

Afterwards, I only heard a deep and long sigh, from which I assumed to be Twilight.

I placed my hoof on the bush and slowly pulled myself up. It wasn't until I saw a pink flowing mane and light yellow coated pony flying towards my location, causing me to quietly gasp and duck back down. Her wings were flapping and they sounded as if they were getting nearer and nearer. My heart was racing and I was desperately hoping she wouldn't find me.

"What are you doing here…?" She spoke at my direction, causing my heart to release a sharp pierce in fear. I was caught, and she'd probably tell the others of my suspicious presence. "Aw… a cutie like you shouldn't be out here all alone by yourself…" I furrowed my eyebrows confusingly and opened my flinching eyes. I peeked out and noticed her holding out her hooves towards a spot near me. "Don't worry little bunny, I'll take you back where you belong."

She began flying back, holding that bunny on her back. I was left to release a sigh of relief. However, after a second, I gasped, knowing I couldn't lose these girls if I wanted to get some answers and possibly clues to help find out what happened to Princess Celestia.

I jumped out of the bush and galloped towards where they were headed.


They stopped at the front of the forest. I don't think I'd ever been in there, so I wasn't exactly sure what was so scary about it. However, I had to keep myself hidden using nearby scenery, and only poked my head out when it was safe to do so.

Nevertheless, they seemed to continue staring frightfully into the depths of the forest.

"Well…there it is…" Applejack mentioned, keeping her eyes forward.

"Whee!" Pinkie Pie cheered, shoving any fear away from her body. "Let's go!"

She began walking in an upbeat manner until Twilight stopped her.

"Not so fast. Look, I appreciate the offer, but I'd really rather do this on my own." Twilight suggested.

"No can do, sugarcube." Applejack refused, already beginning to walk forward. "We sure ain't lettin' any friend of ours go into that creepy place alone." The word "friend" caused Twilight's face to shift suddenly for some reason. Hmm…friend… "We're stickin' to you like caramel on a candy apple." She continued trotting towards the forest as the others joined behind her.

"Especially if there's candy apples in there!" Pinkie Pie added, receiving a blank look from Twilight. "What? Those things are good!" She released before trotting into the forest as well.

Twilight only released a soft sigh before joining them.

I felt a little saddened now. I turned around and rested my body behind the bush I was at. My eyebrows furrowed and my mouth became slightly agape.

Wow… Risking their lives to help her… They must really be some true friends to her… If…if I actually tried getting to know them…would they do the same for me?

I stared towards the ground in silence. It wasn't until I realized that I actually had to keep up with them. I quickly pushed myself off the ground and ran off into the forest.

However, when I was inside, there was a high and thick fog surrounding me. I couldn't see or hear any trace of them. I begin panicking. I couldn't have lost them… I just couldn't. I quickly looked around, almost desperately.

"No…no, no, no, no, no!" I exclaimed to myself. "That was my chance to actually try to help!" I felt a deep anger wrapped in a shroud of sadness. "To make a change…" I stopped any further movement and stared gloomily at the ground. "To even…help and probably find the Princess…"

The temperature around me slowly began getting chilly. I looked around and noticed the fog becoming even thicker.

"Why, are you lost, little pony?" A voice echoed and whispered around, frightening me a little, especially since I was alone. I couldn't answer, so I only remained silent. "Don't worry… Just sleep… Sleep…and let your true nightmares awaken…" My eyes began feeling weary and droopy. They were closing by themselves, and I didn't even feel any need to fight them. My body planted itself on the ground and before I knew it, I was already being engulfed by slumber. "Sleep…"


I felt my eyes slowly opening. I was lying on a hard surface…but it wasn't the ground. When I was able to look at my surroundings, I noticed everything was dark. There was only this…small light in front of me. I only stared at it for a moment, unsure of what to do.

Walk towards it.

A voice inside of me told me. I was lightly startled, and still unable to move for a moment.

You can walk, can't you?

I remained silent, and only pushed myself up slowly. I turned my head towards the light and then began walking towards it in a hesitant motion. However, as soon as I entered this small light, I felt immediate warmth that radiated from within it. I stared up to see where this light came from, but its source was unexplainable.

After, I felt a sudden disturbance behind me. In the darkness, there were a group of ponies. Their colors were visible, but darkened and shaded.

"Oh, look…" One told another, keeping sinister eyes on me. "Look how dumb he looks all by himself."

The pony receiving this comment snickered. "Wow. Seriously. How sad is it to be without friends?"

The last smirked smugly. "He's so boring. That's why nopony talks to him. Look. He just looks so stupid."

My heart felt like it dropped. This was a nightmare… I only stepped back a few and began huddling away. I wrapped myself almost like a ball. I closed my eyes, desperate for this to go away and leave me. I hated this so much. Others judging every little thing about me, which is the only time they do notice me… Why can't I ever be happy? Why must I have to suffer through this every day? Why can't there just be one little thing I can do that can just…make me happy?

The warmth from the light began disappearing, and the light itself was dimming.

Focus. Don't let anything distract you. It is only you that's important. Believe in yourself.

"…I can't…" I spoke to myself, keeping my head buried in my forelegs, desperately not wanting to look back up. "…no matter what I do, it always bothers me…"

Find that guiding light! Retain your confidence! If you really want to succeed, you must push away fears and distractions!

I squinted my eyes really hard, beginning to feel tears form inside. I wanted all this pain to stop. Whatever this voice was…it was right. Sitting here and crying by myself wouldn't do anything. It would only make things worse. If I wanted this to stop, I needed to try to do something about it!

Keeping my eyes closed, I looked inside myself and tried to push away this nightmare. I told myself it wasn't real, and that it was just my fears trying to stay attached to me. Mentally repeating this thought, I felt something immense come out from inside of me. I opened my eyes and noticed the surface beneath me was lit. I looked up and noticed that those ponies were gone as well. The light and warmth returned, but the walls around me were still darkness.

I released a sigh, relieved that those…despicable ponies were gone, but then scoffed at the reason for listening to a voice in my head.

"Look at you, Alex…" I told myself. "Not only are you filled with social anxiety…but you're now becoming crazy…listening to some weird voice in your head."

"I am not just some… 'weird' voice." This was now outside of my head. It was behind me. I gasped and quickly turned around.

I couldn't believe it.

Right in front of me was the Princess herself. Princess Celestia.

"Princess?!" I tried to speak or question, but I couldn't really form any words.

She placed a delicate hoof on my cheek and gently moved my head around for her to observe me. "You hold something very important…do you know that?"

I looked towards the floor with my eyes. "Not if it's important…"

"Look at me…" She called tenderly, catching back my attention. "You can't let anything distract you…your heart… It's…very special. Believe me."

"I… I don't understand."

She lightly released her hoof from my cheek. "Your heart, Alex." She then placed her hoof on my chest. "It's more special than you think."

I scoffed. "I think you have the wrong pony…"

"Listen to me, Alex." She requested my full attention politely. "You always wanted to know the reason why I helped you, brought you, and even had you stay with me personally for several years. I didn't want to just help a poor little colt…I could see and feel the importance you had within you. I also needed to protect you…because you're very special whether you think so or not." I only remained silent as I looked away once again. "Although you weren't comfortable with answering my questions back then…I'm hoping you trust me enough to answer just a few simple ones I have for you right now…"

"…what kind of questions?" I asked a little uncertainly.

Princess Celestia sat down by me and placed her right wing around me, hinting me to sit down with her as well. Shaking a little, I did so.

"Do you trust me?" She asked.

I didn't really know how to answer that. I didn't absolutely completely trust her, but I wasn't for the other option either. I looked away in hard thought. Then, I sighed heavily with my closed eyes, still uncertain of the answer I was about to give her. "I do…"

She placed her right hoof on my left shoulder. Normally, I would have reacted nervously, but since she was actually a pony I've known for quite some time, this wasn't the case. "Tell me…" She began. "What would you like in your life's journey?"

Wow. I hadn't really ever thought about that… It actually took me a moment to think about my answer for that. Well…

"I…" I hesitated and then unintentionally lowered both the volume of my voice and my head. "…I just want to be happy…"

"What is it…that really scares you?" She asked, bringing her head a little closer to me.

I clenched my teeth a bit, my anxiety wanting to prevent me from sharing such information with her. "…Being alone…" I slipped out.

"What's really most important to you?" She continued.

Well…there's really only one thing I've always wanted…and if I had it, it'd most likely be the most important thing to me in the world…

"…friendship…" I finally spat out.

Princess Celestia closed her eyes and nodded, indicating that she was done. "If you trust me, Alex, I promise you, you'll receive what you've been looking for for so long very soon. As of right now, I trust that you are responsible for the essential piece you hold."

"Responsible?" I focused my attention towards that word. "Princess, I don't think you could trust me to be responsible with anything! I just screw everything up…"

Princess Celestia placed a warm hoof around my shoulder. "This is why I told you that you need to believe in yourself… And don't worry, Alex. You will not be alone… Even if you think you may be alone in certain times, look back into your heart." She stood up as if she was preparing to leave. "I must go now. Don't worry; we'll see each other again in no time."

I quickly stood up, not wanting her presence to leave me. "Wait, Princess, don't leave me!"

She looked back and then faced me. She only released a silent warm smile. "Don't be afraid." She placed a hoof on my chest. "If I'm not with you outside, I will always be with you in here." Afterwards, she appeared to begin fading away. Actually, everything around me grew brighter, filling my vision with just pure white. "Now…go and help your friends…"

I was then blinded for a moment.

Once the flash of light faded away, I was back in the Everfree Forest. But for some strange reason, it still felt…bizarre. I then began hearing crying from a not too far distance. I listened closely for the sound and walked a little hastily towards it. Once the sorrowful vocal expression was very near, I looked around, but I didn't really find anything connected with the sound. It wasn't until I saw something small motioning slightly behind a tree. I cautiously stepped forward this tree, noticing that it was actually a tail…a small tail.

I walked until I was finally able to see this source of the wailing sound. It was…a little filly… She was sitting down, holding her front hooves to her eyes as tears slipped out from each one. What was she doing out here…? She shouldn't be all by herself…

She was just a filly, so I really wasn't so afraid of her.

"Hey…" I held out a hoof towards her, immediately feeling remorseful for her. She moved her hooves away from her eyes and only looked at me a bit fearfully. "What are you doing out here all by yourself…?"

She sniffled a bit as she began responding to me. "I'm lost… Can you… Can you take me back home?"

She must have been from Ponyville… I didn't know where I was either…but I definitely couldn't leave her by herself. "I…I can try." I answered. "Here…" I offered. "Why don't you stay close with me?"

She managed to return back a small smile. "Thank you…"

I nodded and gestured forward with my head as she accompanied me. "Come on."

Then, I began walking ahead, where ever this dangerous road led us.


As she walked by me, she was sure to stick by close, seeming to be only inches away from me. She looked towards the floor for a moment and then up at me. "…thank you again…for helping."

"It's fine…" I answered. "A little filly like you shouldn't be here in the first place…"

She didn't respond for a moment. "Hey…want to hear some jokes?"

"Jokes?" I questioned, squinting my eye a bit in confusion, especially since we were not exactly in the right place for such an occasion.

"Yeah! Look…um…" She thought for a moment. "Oh! Why is six afraid of seven?"

"Um…" I couldn't really think about that. "…I don't know, why?"

"Because seven eight nine!"

"Huh?"

"You know? Seven eight nine? Like ate, but it's the number instead?"

"Huh." I couldn't tell if I actually got it or not.

"Here, how about this one. Knock knock."

"…who's…there…?"

"Says."

"Says who?"

"Says me, that's who!"

"Oh…"

She noticed my unchanged expression and frowned lightly. "I'm sorry. My jokes are bad, aren't they?"

"What?" I looked over to her. "No… It's just…" I paused and tried to think. "I'm just not really a laughable pony…"

"What do you mean?"

I remained silent for a while. "It's complicated."

The rest of walk was silent. It wasn't until we came upon a fairly large river to cross. I continued to walk towards this body of water until another pair of hooves stopped behind me. I halted as well and looked back to see the filly hold a worried expression.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"It's a little high…" She answered a bit shakily. "…and I don't really like the water too much…"

I glanced over at the water, lifted up my hoof, and revealed it to her. "It's fine. It's not going to hurt you." She only looked over to the ground beside her and sucked in her lip fearfully. I sighed and turned back to meet up with her. I sat by her and left my eyes forward. "Get on."

"Huh?" She asked in puzzled manner.

"Get on my back." I clarified. "I'll take you across the water, and you want have to be afraid of it. I'll keep you safe."

She gasped lightly. "Really…?"

"Yeah. We should hurry." She understood and jumped on my back, planting her hooves firmly on my shoulders as I entered the water. I could feel her body tremble a bit, signaling me to release a few words of advice. "Try not to look down. Just keep your eyes at the land over there, and we'll get to it in no time."

"Okay…" She answered in a muffled voice, due to her hooves in front of her mouth.

I felt each splash of the water as my hooves moved us across the body of water. It really didn't take long, but considering the silence, it felt a while. After we finally made it across, I looked across my shoulder at the filly. "It's safe now."

She looked back and noticed that we had passed the water. She released a sigh of relief. "Thank you so much…" I lowered myself for her to be able to jump off. "Let's keep going! I can feel home getting closer!"

I released a look of confusion and looked in front of us. There were still many trees and fog in sight, and I wasn't so sure she was right. Nonetheless, I didn't want to upset her, so I remained silent at the comment and continued walking, bringing her along with me.


The next new area we encountered was…tricky… We came across a rickety old bridge. I arrived at the start of the bridge and looked down. The drop was so deep, the end wasn't even visible. However, to my surprise, right on the other side of the bridge were ruins. I had a good feeling that these were the ruins the girls were talking about… But the bridge and the depth below kept me from moving without hesitation.

"…I don't know about this…" I mentioned a little fearfully.

"Maybe we should turn back? Maybe there's another way?" The filly suggested.

I remained silent for a while. I studied the bridge and the area on the other side. "I'm not so sure about that either… We might just get even more lost… Besides, I need to get you home as quick as possible…"

"…so…what do we do?" She asked.

I thought about it with a significant amount of effort. My mind was telling me not to go. It was too scared of the drop below. But then I remembered Princess Celestia's words. My heart… I placed a hoof on my chest. I need to follow my heart… and it's saying…

"Let's go." I stated.

"What?" The filly was surprised. "Are you sure you just don't want to turn back?"

I shook my head. "I don't want to be a coward anymore… I want to do anything I can to help for a good cause… That means getting you home safe." I gestured my head towards my back. "Come on." I lowered my body for her to jump on top.

"Wow…thank you so much…" She expressed and then climbed on. "I believe in you, you know…"

My eyes widened at those words she sent me. Somehow…these words even gave me the strength to be confident about my choice. I slowly looked back at her and nodded. "….t-thanks…for that…"

She nodded and was actually able to smile, despite the possibly great danger we were about to embark in. I turned back to the front, inhaled, and then exhaled a heavy breath. I looked down at my hooves and placed my first on the first wooden board of the bridge. Afterwards, I slowly and cautiously moved my hooves forward one by one until they were all on the bridge. However, the bridge itself began swaying lightly. I looked below me and notice the far drop, causing the muscles and nerves in me to shake and tense up.

"Don't look down." She told me. I looked back at her and noticed her smiling. Wow… I nodded and looked back, doing my best not to do so. This filly…she seems to be handling this way better than I am… She's counting on me…

Step by step, I carefully progressed through the bridge, greatly eyeing the safe land across. Instead of thinking about the deadly depths below me, I actually thought about my goal. I continued mentally encouraging myself by realizing how closer I was getting and that I would be there in no time.

"You're almost there!" She shouted out in joy.

I released a light breath. "Right…"

I continued stepping forward, having the small hope inside me push me forward.

Finally, when I felt that soft grass touch my hooves, and I was no longer able to feel the creaky wooden planks, I could leave my eyes opened. My body relaxed and I released a sigh of relief.

"You did it!" The filly exclaimed, jumping off my back. "We're here!"

"Yeah…" I returned. "But we still need to get you home."

"What?" The filly questioned and turned back to face me. "This is home!"

"Huh…?" I became puzzled.

"Thank you…" The filly smiled warmly with almost teary eyes.

Then, this bright light covered my vision, just like when Princess Celestia faded away.

When the flash was gone, I removed my hoof from in front of my face and opened my eyes easily. The ruins were still there, but the little foal was gone…

I stood there in utter confusion.

What just happened…? Was that actually real? Was I just imagining things? …so strange… I just…can't…

My thoughts were interrupted when I saw another huge flash of light, but it was coming from somewhere else. In the distance, a little behind the ruins in front of me, was this continuous flashing light. I immediately remembered about the girls and their quest to stop Nightmare Moon, leading me to quickly run into the ruins.

I looked around for any sight of them inside, but it was empty. It wasn't until I heard some noise and looked to my left, noticing a window. I placed my hooves there and looked outside, immediately spotting them rushing towards the nearby ruins with the flashing lights! In a blaze, I took off and chased after them.


"Applejack, who reassured me when I was in doubt, represents the spirit of... honesty!" I heard when climbing up the stairs of the second ruins. As soon as I reached this huge room, I immediately spotted those six mares, who were confronting Nightmare Moon. These apparent crystals had surrounded Applejack. "Fluttershy, who tamed the manticore with her compassion, represents the spirit of... kindness!" The announcer continued, who actually was Twilight. I didn't really know what was going on, but I only stared at the top of the stairs and out of sight. Crystals also surrounded that yellow little pegasus with her. "Pinkie Pie, who banished fear by giggling in the face of danger, represents the spirit of... laughter!" Pinkie Pie hopped excitedly in the air as crystals joined with her as well. "Rarity, who calmed a sorrowful serpent with a meaningful gift represents the spirit of... generosity!" The same occurred with Rarity, the pony who really greeted me voluntarily… "And Rainbow Dash, who could not abandon her friends for her own heart's desire represents the spirit of... loyalty!" Twilight added, continuing to talk to Nightmare Moon. "The spirits of these five ponies got us through every challenge you threw at us."

I wonder what kind of challenges…

"You still don't have the sixth Element!" Nightmare Moon brought up. "The spark didn't work!"

"But it did! A different kind of spark!" Twilight explained and faced the others before her. "I felt it the very moment I realized how happy I was to hear you, to see you, how much I cared about you. The spark ignited inside me when I realized that you all... are my friends!" Her speech was nice…but it did hurt me as it was exactly what I wanted for so long… However, this sudden flash appeared above her. It was a completed sphere with a symbol on it. "You see, Nightmare Moon, when those Elements are ignited by the... the spark, that resides in the heart of us all, it creates the sixth element: the element of... magic!" As soon as she stated this, the sphere flashed brightly, blinding me as well. When I was able to see once again, there were new accessories worn by these ponies. Each of them wore a golden necklace while Twilight wore a crown instead. They began levitating in the air, as if some great power was about to commence, leaving me quite surprised.

Was this it? Were they about to defeat Nightmare Moon? They did it without my help… What use was I?

However, this light that was growing in them began flickering on and off. Their power drained and they all fell harshly towards the floor.

"Huh?!" Twilight reacted to their sudden and unexpected failure.

Nightmare Moon only laughed out loudly. "How foolish you all really are… You think you have all the elements…"

"But we do!" Twilight exclaimed. "We did our research! We have all the elements we need!"

Nightmare Moon shook her head and continued chuckling. "Do you know who writes your 'research'? Average little ponies! And average little ponies wouldn't know the one little element you're missing. This element… has only been known by a couple of royal sisters… but it all won't matter! You've failed! You've all failed! Your futile attempts won't stop this everlasting night!" She then focused her magic towards the six of them and created an aura around them. After, she began picking them up off the ground as they struggled to free themselves. "Now, let me see to it that none of you ever intrude on my plans no more!"

My heart began racing and I felt like I was hyperventilating. Shortly, I began to panic. I had no idea what to do. I felt my body was frozen where it was right now. I couldn't think straight…but then…I remembered Princess Celestia…

Listen to your heart.

I really didn't have to focus my heart to know what to do. I already kind of knew that I had to do something about this… I had to go help them. I didn't know how, but I still had to go. I took in a quick deep breath and released a word from my mouth. "Okay…" I slipped out and then quickly pushed myself to begin running in there.

Nightmare Moon continued cackling with closed eyes; too distracted to see me running in there. Attempting to push away any fears or distractions, I aimed right for her and smashed into her, pushing her several steps away and causing for her spell to be interrupted. The girls were released and fell back on the floor. She grunted and shook her head. "What is this?!" I stood my ground, unable to return any words because there was really nothing I could say. "And who are you supposed to be?!" She questioned angrily about my presence. "You dare challenge me?!" I still remained silent. "Speak, you imbecile!" She commanded.

I bet my bottom lip tightly, afraid to reveal my answer, especially since I didn't know if it was true. "I'm here…" I felt myself tensing up again. "…here to help my…" My teeth would be clenching if they weren't already on my lip. I closed my eyes and strained them due to the stress in my mind. Finally, I blurted it out. "I'm here to help my friends!"

Nightmare Moon chuckled. "Surely you're not the one who bears the pure heart, are you?" Pure heart…? "Preposterous! A pony like you couldn't hold it!"

Believe in yourself.

Did I…? Princess Celestia… She was always talking about me holding some special thing… And she was always telling me to follow my heart… Could it really be…?

Believe in yourself… Believe in yourself! You can do this. You can help!

"You're wrong." I returned. "I think- I mean, I do hold it! I can help them!"

"Stop wasting my time! Be gone!" She focused her horn and tried to work my magic on me. I flinched, holding my head back and closing my eyes. But nothing happened. I slowly opened them back up and noticed Nightmare Moon looking back in terror. I turned my attention to my chest and noticed a glow presenting itself clearly.

"…the seventh element!" I heard Twilight from behind me. "It's you!"

"No! This can't be!" Nightmare Moon released fearfully.

"Quick! Everypony, get your elements together!" Twilight exclaimed.

I looked back to see the other girls begin levitating in the air. The glow in my chest grew brighter. As soon as a rainbow of color shot out from within them, my own color came out from my chest and joined in their assault against Nightmare Moon.

"NOOO! Nooo!" Nightmare Moon shouted out loud as the elements surrounded her. There was nothing she could do.

Afterwards, there was yet another very bright blinding light.


Finally, everything calmed down…and it felt like there was finally order.

"Ugh, my head…"

"Everypony okay?"

"Oh, thank goodness."

"Why Rarity, it's so lovely."

"I know! I'll never part with it again."

"No. Your necklace. It looks just like your cutie mark."

"What? Ooh. So does yours."

"Look at mine! Look at mine!"

"Aw yeah."

My eyes slowly opened after hearing those voices. As soon as I was able to see clearly, I was greatly started when I saw all six of those girls staring at me. I gasped and jumped back. Instantly at that moment, I wanted to just…get away from them any way possible.

"You okay, sugarcube?" Applejack spoke, offering her hoof towards me.

I was hesitant in silence. I only stared at her hoof. Nevertheless, she eventually lightly grabbed mine, helping me up onto my hooves.

They all continued looking at me, leading me to look away from them.

"How in Equestria did you get here?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"And how is it that you seem so familiar to me?" Twilight inquired, causing me to glance over at her enough to see that she was staring at me curiously.

"Why, I can't believe you'd be the one to fill this…element…" Rarity mentioned, recalling our first meeting.

"Gee, Twilight!" Applejack continued on that topic. "I thought you were just spoutin' a lot of hooey, but I reckon we really do represent the elements of friendship."

"Indeed you do." A familiar voice suddenly protruded out of nowhere, along with a ball of light that appeared before us. To my surprise, it was revealed to be Princess Celestia.

Twilight gasped as every pony else bowed in her honor. "Princess Celestia!" She trotted towards her.

"Twilight Sparkle," They both greeted each other warmly. "…my faithful student. I knew you could do it."

"But... you told me it was all an old pony tale." She brought up.

"I told you that you needed to make some friends, nothing more." Princess Celestia responded. "I saw the signs of Nightmare Moon's return and I knew it was you who had the magic inside to defeat her, but you could not unleash it until you let true friendship into your heart."

"Well…that explains that but…what about…" She turned towards me. "…him?" She lightly startled me and I began feeling a little nervous when their attention was on me. "I didn't know there was another element… I read that there were only six!"

"Of course…" Princess Celestia answered, keeping her warm smile. "You see, Twilight… Alex's element, his pure heart, otherwise known as the Element of Purity for short, is not tangible and not exactly visible either. Ponies who have studied these elements were only able to study those that they could see…" Princess Celestia turned her attention to Twilight's crown. "Such as that crown on your head."

"So…" Twilight replied, remaining in thought for a while. "What you're saying is…only a princess like you would know of his element? Because you were technically the only one who knew it ever existed?"

"Well…that's another thing." She turned her head where Nightmare Moon used to be standing. "Princess Luna…" She began walking towards this other pony that was lying defeated across the room. She opened her eyes and gasped at Princess Celestia. "It has been a thousand years since I have seen you like this." Princess Celestia laid herself down in front of her as she flinched back. "Time to put our differences behind us. We were meant to rule together, little sister."

Huh…?

"Sister?" The others questioned simultaneously.

Princess Celestia stood up before her. "Will you accept my friendship?"

Every of the girls began leaning forward in suspense, leading Pinkie Pie to fall.

Princess Luna looked down in silence for a moment and then suddenly rushed towards Princess Celestia in an apologetic manner. "I'm so sorry! I missed you so much, big sister!"

The two princesses shared tears with each other.

"I've missed you, too." Princess Celestia responded in their embrace.

Pinkie Pie blew her nose and began crying out loudly until she suddenly shifted her gloomily expression. "Hey, you know what this calls for? A party!"

Princess Celestia stretched out her smile slowly and looked towards her sister. "Yes…I think the ponies in Ponyville would love to see their new Princess…"

Princess Luna returned a look of worry. "I tried to make them live in eternal night… They'll hate me…"

"That's all in the past, my sister… Trust me…" Princess Celestia encouraged.

Princess Luna remained silent to think for a moment. However, she hesitantly nodded her head, forming a small smile. "…Okay."

"Come, all of you." Princess Celestia told us as she began walking out with her sister by her side. "You all deserve this celebration as much as we do." They exited as the rest of the girls followed them.

I remained sitting, not wanting to take participation in this celebration as it would require involvement of social interaction. But at the same time, that felt the wrong thing to do…

"Hey." A voice surprised me. I quickly looked over to see it was Twilight. "Are you coming?" She asked.

"…I don't know…" I merely returned back.

Nonetheless, she grew closer to me to speak. "Well, you are our friend, aren't you?" She asked in a friendly and content manner.

"I am…?" I questioned.

"You said it yourself, didn't you?" She recalled, keeping that light smile on her face.

I looked back in thought, and began to possibly feel a slight regret. "Yeah… I guess I did…"


By the time we arrived in Ponyville, everypony was strangely already there. I guess Pinkie Pie worked her…odd…ways into making this into a party…

Besides that, Princess Celestia and Princess Luna were taken by a carriage led by the royal guards back into the town. The same small dragon that was accompanying Twilight before came out from the crowd and hugged her, most likely due to her return.

On the other hoof, Princess Celestia presented her sister, to whom everypony else bowed with respect. Nevertheless, Princess Luna looked towards the ground in sadness for some reason. However, a couple of pegasus fillies flew by and placed a necklace composed of roses on her. Princess Luna revealed an expression of surprise and looked towards her sister. Ironically, even she was able to smile, despite whatever conflict arose between her and her sister.

I looked around and noticed everypony celebrating, leading me to feel loneliness drop in for a visit again. I looked by my side and spotted no one. I sighed and then faced my attention towards the ground.

"Why so glum, my faithful student?" I heard Princess Celestia in front of me, causing me to lift my head back up. She was confronting Twilight who was also gloomy for some reason. "Are you not happy that your quest is complete and you can return to your studies in Canterlot?"

"That's just it..." Twilight responded, sharing a glance at us. "Just when I learned how wonderful it is to have friends, I have to leave them."

After a moment of silence, Princess Celestia answered to this distress. "Spike, take a note, please." The dragon pulled out a empty scroll and quill. "I, Princess Celestia, hereby decree that the unicorn Twilight Sparkle shall take on a new mission for Equestria." She announced as the others gazed at her in awe."She must continue to study the magic of friendship. She must report to me her findings from her new home in Ponyville."

The girls immediately gathered around her, laughing and cheering for her stay.

"Oh thank you, Princess Celestia! I'll study harder than ever before!" Twilight returned gleefully.

Immediately after, everypony, including around us, cheered loudly as confetti and streamers fell from who knows where. That wasn't important me. I stood away from the spotlight, looking back with my eyes in sadness.

"Isn't this exciting?" Pinkie Pie suddenly confronted me, startling me for a moment. She was right in front of me, expressing her absolute excitement while I could only remain silent and do the opposite. "Are you excited cause I'm excited I've never been so excited, well, except for the time that I went-" She gasped sharply after pummeling me with those quick paced words. "But I mean really…" The sounds of her words drained out when I chose not to listen to them. I was already upset about not being able to be joyful as any of them. I didn't even know what I was doing here in the first place. Whatever occurred, I just had to distract myself from it…


After I had managed to slip myself away from the celebration, I released a breath of relief and stared out at the lit moon. I was able to hear the crickets outside. This sound of silence was actually pleasing to me…a lot more pleasing than what was going on in the party… Is that normal…?

The more I thought about whether the stuff I did and the reasons for them was normal, the more I almost wanted to hate myself. I just couldn't be like any other pony…and thus…an outcast…

"Heya." A voice startled me, causing me to gasp and quickly look back.

I noticed it was only Twilight. "Oh…" I relieved myself from my fears. "…hey Twilight…"

She actually took the liberty to walk towards where I was at and sit by my side.

"Watcha doing out here? The party's in there." She asked me with a small smile, as if she was trying to joke with me or something…

Even though she had her eyes on mine, I couldn't quite do the same for her. "Um…" I tried to think, unable to come up with quite a believable excuse. "I came out here for some fresh air… I don't know if that's okay…"

"Of course that's okay!" She seemed to have no trouble speaking to me. "But with a party going on as crazy as Pinkie Pie's, I don't think anypony would want to waste a second of it out here!" I slightly flinched, perhaps taking that too much that it was needed to be. "Come on! Let's go back inside."

I was silent for a brief moment. I didn't want to go back inside, I didn't. But I couldn't let her fun be ruined by me. I'm tired of that. "I think I'm fine out here." I could only return.

Twilight studied me for a moment while I could only continue to keep my eyes off of her. "…are you okay?" I didn't answer. "…come to think of it… I haven't seen you smile. I know I've only seen you for only a short while and…" She paused. "Wait, no. I think I have seen you before, but I can't just put my hoof on it!" I only managed to glance at her a little confusingly before she looked back at me. "Okay, listen…just…forget about that right now… What's going on? Is everything okay?"

Even if I did have the courage and the "non-trust issues" to tell her, she still wouldn't have understood.

"It's nothing, Twilight."

She couldn't really say anything to that. She slowly looked back towards the ground, possibly in thought. "Alright… Look…" She stood up and held out a hoof towards me. "Come on. Let's get back." I didn't accept her offer. I only answered with silence. "Come on." She included a little playfully and friendly. "Come party with Pinkie and me! I bet that'll cheer you up!" She looked back at the direction of where the party was. "You could talk to the other ponies and—"

At that moment, I had already walked up and started leaving. I had realized that she was already going to start pushing and indirectly attacking my comfort zone.

However, she noticed my leave as I heard her trotting towards my direction.

"Wait!" She called, stopping me when she reached the front of my body and blocked my path. "Why are you leaving…?" She asked. I was able to hear disappointment in her voice, just like with… Pinkie Pie…

I looked away, disappointed with myself. Was this unicorn actually saddened by my absence in the party? I can't even tell… Either way…her grief was instantly getting into me. I began feeling horrible for my behavior and actions…and if I don't end this soon…I'll feel absolutely even worse…

"Sorry…" I managed to say, attempting to form more words after. "…but I don't belong in that party…" She raised a hoof up and tried to bring a line in, but I stopped her. "It's not any of you. It's me. It's always been me. I'm just a different type of pony, Twilight. I'm not like any of you. If I go in there… I'll just make everything worse…" I sighed and looked back at the ground, shaking my head. "You ponies are having a good enough time as it is... I don't want to ruin it…" My ears flopped down sadly after this statement. I continued walking, passing Twilight.

"…but…" She tried to speak, but she seemed to be too puzzled as she was unable say anything else to stop me.

Sorry… I really am…


I finally shut my door and was immediately welcomed by the only thing that has been there for me. As I felt its welcoming grasp, I wanted to push it away and walk upstairs to bed. I hated this so much.

As soon as I was near my bed, I fell on it harshly and sighed angrily.

In my mind, thoughts swirled violently.

Apparently, I'm an important pony, right? This "secret" element or whatever that helped defeat an old princess that wanted night to reign forever? Yeah, and guess what? I'm still unhappy and alone as ever! If that can't make the smallest change, then what can?!

I had so any emotions swelling within my right now, but it made me angrier that I was unable to express them properly. I wanted to yell so badly, but I figured it wouldn't help and anyone able to hear it would think I'm crazy so…no…

I stared angrily at the ceiling until I turned my head to the desk nearby. I noticed the stack of papers and group of pencils on it. I looked away and slightly moved my lips in thought for a moment.

…I guess it's better than nothing…

I got myself up from the bed, even though I felt like I didn't want to at the same time. I planted my rear on the floor in front of the desk and stared at the empty space between the papers and the pencils. Using my two front hooves, I grabbed one slip of paper and one pencil and pushed them together. I looked up in thought and finally grabbed the pencil with my mouth, beginning to scribble words that escaped my mind.

As I'm writing on this crummy piece of paper…there's something I have to share about these six mares I met today… I have no one else to talk to so…

I even scoffed a bit in an almost laughing way at myself.

…what's to lose about sharing my feelings to an inanimate object? …Apparently…these girls are supposed to be my friends, as said as the Princess herself, but I'm not so sure about that… To be honest, I feel something much different about them…but…my head just doesn't want to accept that. So…what am I supposed to do…? Just wait to see what happens?

Yeah…that's kind of what I've been doing my whole boring life…

I dropped the pencil on the paper. I turned around and headed towards my bed. I planted myself on it and thought again for a moment as I stared at the ceiling.

I guess that helped…a little…

I don't know what to do. I mean…I did feel something different for those girls. They did feel like different ponies…ones that I want to try and start over with… But my head… My head is just telling me to not trust them, that they'll just hurt me like the others. They'll push you towards the darkest depths ever…

I sighed.

So much to think…

So much to do…

So little time.