• Published 25th Dec 2013
  • 1,903 Views, 14 Comments

Lanterns of Equestria: Blackest Night - The Literary Lord



The Blackest Night has come to Equestria. Can its new Lanterns face the threat and emerge victorious?

  • ...
3
 14
 1,903

LoE-Blackest Night: Ditzy Doo part 1

Amethyst Star was determined to be in a bad mood. The bright, sunny Ponyville weather wasn't going to change that. The happy, smiling ponies she passed weren't going to change that. And her father chattering away as he led her to a field on outskirts of town most certainly not going to change.

"You're gonna love Ponyville, Sparkler," said Gem Star. "There's a bowling alley, a movie theater, and this bakery that makes the best cakes you have ever tasted."

Sparkler gave no reply and continued to scowl at the path in front of her. Gem Star sighed

"Sparkler, I know this is hard for you but I hate it when you try to close me out," the elder unicorn said. "Can you at least say something."

Sparkler briefly glanced at the surrounding area. "It's fine." she said tersely before returning her gaze to the path in front of her. Gem Star looked liked he wanted to say but then he simply sighed and continued down the road.

"Ah, There they are," Gem Star said after a brief silence. Sparkler looked up and saw her father pointing at a gray pegasus mares some distance away, laying a picnic blanket down. Seeing them, the started to wave at them.

"Now listen, Amethyst," her father whispered as they neared the picnic blanket. "I don't expect you call her 'mom' or to become best friends but I expect you to treat her with respect; like you would with anypony else. Got it?"

"Yes." said Sparkler, still not looking at Gem Star.

"Good. Oh, and don't say a word about her eyes. I'm back, sweetie!"

Wait, what about her eyes? thought Sparkler when the mare turned to face her and gave Sparkler a shock. One of the mare's bright yellow was focusing but the other had was pointing to an area to the left. Sparkler realized she staring and quickly looked away but found herself looking back unable to resist.

Gem Star, however hadn't noticed his daughter's discomfort yet. "Ditzy Doo, this is my daughter, Amethyst Star. Amethyst Star, this is Ditzy Doo."

"Hello!" said Ditzy Doo brightly, extending a hoof. "Did you have a nice train ride?"

Sparkler realized she staring again and hurriedly broke it off. "Um, Yeah. Yeah, it was... nice," she said shaking Ditzy's hoof and trying to avoid looking her odd eyes. "I'm um, happy to meet you."

Ditzy frowned slightly. "You forgot to tell her about my eyes, didn't you?" Ditzy asked her husband, sounding slightly incredulous.

"Erm, Well I've kinda had other things on my mind lately," said Gem Star sheepishly rubbing the back of his head.

"Sorry! It just caught me off guard. I'm sorry," Sparkler apologized, now feeling too uncomfortable to remember that she wanted to be angry.

"It's alright," Ditzy reassured her. "Most ponies stare at them at them at first. You'll get used to them..." she trailed offed awkwardly and the trio sat quietly for a moment. Then a burbling noise broke the silence.

"Oh! Look like somepony's awake!" said Ditzy, walking over to a small bundle covered in a blanket that Sparkler hadn't noticed at first.

"Sparkler, There somepony else I'd like you to meet," Gem Star as Ditzy pulled off the blanket. "Say hello to Dinky Doo, your half-sister."

A small gray unicorn foal yawned and stretched. Seeing Sparkler, Dinky cooed excitably and moved towards her. Sparkler's heart melted. So much for staying angry.

"Hi, there," Sparkler said to the foal. Dinky giggled at being talked to and then taking Sparkler's hoof, she promptly tried to fit it into her mouth.

"See? I told you they get along fine," Said Ditzy, while Sparkler tried retrieve her hoof from Dinky.

"Yeah. I guess you're right..." said Gem Star, coughing slightly at first and then more violently.

"You alright Dad?" Sparkler asked concerned.

"Yeah," said Gem Star as his daughter and wife looked at him, worriedly. "It's just... I just swallowed wrong. That's all."

<o>

Ten years later.

Ditzy Doo rang the bell to the library for the second time and waited, but it appeared that Twilight Sparkle wasn't home. A few short weeks ago, Ditzy would've assumed that Twilight was off with her friends, either doing some mission for Princess Celestia or just hanging out, but that was before the strange rings fell out of the sky. Before the dead started to rise.

A scratching noise from the other side snapped Ditzy out of her thoughts and the door started to creak open. Looks like Twilight was home after all. Either her or Spike--

Or a giant timberwolf wearing a yellow uniform and a glowing power ring.

The timberwolf regarded the pegasus in front of it and growled, "What... do you...want?"

Most ponies upon meeting a horror from their worst nightmare would've screamed and ran, but Ditzy wasn't like most ponies.

"Good afternoon, sir!" she said cheerfully. "I have a package for Twilight Sparkle. Is she here?"

"Mistress Twilight.. is...busy." replied the timberwolf, speaking slowly and carefully enunciating each word. It clearly wasn't used to speaking yet.

"Well, in that case, Can you make sure she gets this?" she said, handing it the package. "And could you sign this, please?"

Ditzy handed the timberwolf a clipboard and a quill. It looked at both with confusion.

"You just take this and make a mark at the bottom of the paper there, see?" Ditzy explained patiently. "It's so my boss knows you got the package."

The timberwolf gingerly dragged the quill across the paper and after seeing the quill leave a mark, scrawled more furiously. After a few moments, it passed both back to Ditzy. Ditzy flipped the clipboard around to examine it and realized that the timberwolf had scribbled over the entire form.

"Works for me!" she said, stowing the quill and clipboard back into her mailbag. "Thank you and have a nice day-"

Ditzy was cut off by the sounds of screams coming from the ponies on the street behind her. The timberwolf looked up into the sky and snarled. Struggling to focus her eyes, Ditzy turned and also looked up. Flying low over the town and dripping red plasma from it's mouth was a Red Lantern. As Ditzy watched, the Lantern made a sharp-turn and sped off in the directions towards the Red Lantern's floating fortress and was gone.

Ditzy turned back to the timberwolf who was still looking at the sky. "Erm, So, anyways, have a nice day."

"Yes...you too..." the timberwolf grunted in reply and then--taking the package with it--retreated back into the library.

On the street, Ditzy checked her mailbag and looked at the label on the final parcel that needed delivered. "Ooo," she said, recognizing the address. "He'll be glad to see this."

And with that, she started down the road towards the center of Ponyville. Normally the citizens of Ponyville were a happy and content herd but since this crisis had started, a more somber mood had taken over; best exemplified by the snippets of conversation Ditzy overheard. Some of it was about the Red Lantern but the majority was about something more sinister.

"--they're like vampires--"

"--been spotted near Appleloosa--"

"--they ate the heart of that gryphon--"

"--got the general and the whole platoon too--"

"--surely a punishment from the goddess--"

"--what are the princesses even doing about it--"

Ditzy hated seeing the other ponies like this and made a special effort to wave to or say "hello" to as many as she could. A small gesture, sure but sometimes a small gesture goes a long way. Eventually, Ditzy reached her destination: a jewelry store near the center of town and in front of it was the store's owner.

"Hey, Sparkler!" Ditzy called to her as she trotted up to her.

Sparkler turned and smiled at her. " Hi, Ditzy. You still doing your rounds?"

"No, I'm all finished--oh, except for this," Ditzy said tapping the parcel still in her mailbag.

"Is that--?"

"Yep."

"He'll be glad to see that."

"That's what I said. And since it and I are going to same place, I was going to stop at the post office and then head off home. I just wanted to make sure you were still coming over for dinner."

"Actually," said Sparkler as she locked the door to the store. "I was just about to head over there now. Would you like some company?"

"Of course," replied Ditzy as the pair began down the street. "Say, did you see that Red Lantern that flew by a couple minutes ago?"

"How could I not? Everypony freaking out the way they did. Not that I blame them, mind you, I don't like those rage creeps much either. Did you hear about that Red Lantern that Rainbow Dash recruited at Manehatten?" The duo stopped to let a group of royal guards ponies through. "The guy gets a ring and the first he does is blow up the office building he works at. Seriously, what's Rainbow Dash thinking these days? I mean she never was the sharpest knife in the drawer but ever since she got that ring she's turned into a complete nutjob. What do you think?"

Ditzy didn't respond at first--a member of the Indigo Herd (Flim from the looks of it) suddenly passed overhead and entered Rarity's boutique. "Huh? Oh, well she seemed to be the same to me, just a little more... intense. When I talked to her the other day--"

"You've talked to her?" Sparkler said amazed.

"Yeah. I ran into her while she was helping with that rainstorm last week."

"She's still working on the weather patrol?"

"Didn't you know? She was moving some clouds around this morning even."

"I don't--I didn't really think Rainbow Dash would do that. I mean--if I got my hooves on some magic artifact that gave me superpowers, I'd probably quit my job."

"Maybe she really likes the work." suggested Ditzy turning to look back at the boutique.

"Maybe..." Sparkler trailed off as the last of the guards passed by allowing the mares to continue. "And speaking of Red Lanterns, I've been meaning to ask you--was Dinky there when Scootaloo--?"

"Oh no," said Ditzy, shaking her head. "Dinky had a dentist appointment early that day. By the time we got back it was already over."

"Ah, good. I'd been worrying about that for awhile now..." Sparkler paused and then as the two approached post office: "Hold on Ditzy, there's something else I wanted to talk to you about."

Ditzy frowned slightly as Sparkler gathered her thoughts before continuing. "Listen, ever since Sweet Apple Acres I've been worried about you, Dinky, and Time Turner. I don't think you're safe out there and I just... thought maybe it'd be better if you guys came into town for awhile. You could stay with me or--or Carrot Top if there isn't enough room. I'm sure she wouldn't mind" Sparkler sighed heavily. "I know I should've asked you this earlier but I was just afraid--"

"You were afraid that'd I wouldn't listen, right?" interrupted Ditzy.

"Yeah. I was," admitted Sparkler.

"Come on, Sparkler," said Ditzy, placing a reassuring hoof onto Sparkler's shoulder. "You know I wouldn't just dismiss anything you'd have to say if it was important."

"So are you going to do it then?"

"Hmm, I didn't say that." Out of the corner of her eye, Ditzy noticed a flash of indigo emerging from the boutique. Rarity and Flim sped off in the direction of the library. "But I will definitely think about it."

Ditzy turned to go into the post office. "Now we better get a move on. Time Turner picked up Dinky from school today and we probably should get home before she drives him crazy."

<o>

In a small house just outside of Ponyville, Time Turner realized he was in trouble.

"You gonna move or what?" Dinky asked from the other side of the chessboard.

"I'm thinking." replied Time Turner nervously examining the board.

"You've been thinking for like five minutes." said the foal, idly playing with one of Time Turner's white pieces (of which she had a lot.)

"This isn't something you just rush into and I'm sure I can turn this around...Ha!" Time Turner slid one of his pieces forward. "There! Your move."

"Good." Dinky moved her queen diagonally two spaces. "Checkmate! You're getting better at this, Time Turner. Want to try again?"

Just then, the front door open and Ditzy and Sparkler walked in. "We're here!" Ditzy called out.

"Hi Momma! Hi Sparkler!" Dinky said running over to hug the other unicorn. "I've missed you!"

"You saw me just yesterday, how could you miss me already?" asked Sparkler, returning the hug.

"I know but I really like seeing you!"

"So what have you two been up to?" Ditzy asked Time Turner, giving him a peck on the cheek.

"Oh, nothing much," Time Turner said as he put the chess pieces back into their box. "Just playing some chess...or losing at it in my case."

"Aw, don't feel bad," Ditzy fished the package out of her bag. "See? Your new Doctor Whooves book came."

"Oooh! Great!" Time Turner's voice briefly became a squeak as he excitably took the package and starting to tear it open.

Sparkler shook her head at the sight of a grown stallion acting like a foal."Nopony has any right to be that excited over a book."

"Hey, this isn't just any old book," Time Turner said as he flipped the book with a goofy smile on his face. "This is, in my opinion, one of the--if not the greatest book ever written!"

"Ah, yes. The story of an crazy pony being chased by talking trash cans. Truly a literary classic."

"Alright, that's enough, Sparkler," said Ditzy gently as she hung up her mailbag. "And Time Turner, can you please put down the book and help make supper? Dinky, could you set the table? Dinky?" Ditzy suddenly realized that Dinky was looking out the window. The three ponies exchanged glances before trotting over. "Dinky? What is it? Is something wrong?"

"Look." said Dinky pointing out the window.

Outside, moving past the house, was what looked like just about every lantern of every color flying in loose formation towards the Everfree Forest. It was kind of pretty. And also kind of scary, seeing as how terrifying monsters and rage-fueled super soldiers made up a good portion of the flying mass.

"Oh, my..." said Time Turner stunned.

"I don't think I've seen that many in one place," said Sparkler in awe.

"Where are they going?" asked Dinky, pressing her nose against the window. "Did something happen?"

Ditzy watched as the last of the lanterns disappeared into the Everfree. "I... didn't hear anything," Then seeing the worried looks on the other's faces, she quickly smiled. "But I'm sure it's nothing that they can't handle! Come on now, supper isn't going to make itself."

Time Turner and Sparkler both muttered agreements and left for the kitchen. Dinky took one last look out the window before running after the others. Ditzy also took a final glance towards the forest and after a moment, sighed went in the kitchen.

Despite her words, she couldn't shake the feeling that something terrible was about to happen.

<o>

Since the dead started to rise, Princess Celestia had ordered that all remaining graveyards in Equestria be placed under strict guard and the Peaceful Rest Cemetery, located a few miles outside Ponyville, was no exception. A platoon of Celestia's finest-comprising of all three tribes- stood watch over the deceased. Vigilant, armed to the teeth with the latest in anti-necromantic weaponry and completely bored out of their skulls. After the excitement at Sweet Apple Acres a few weeks ago, the action had shifted elsewhere and leaving the graves in the surrounding area untouched and the frustrated guards protecting a bunch of crumbling tombstones. Thus, when the darkened horizon in the direction of the Everfree Forest suddenly came alight with a multitude of colors, more than a few were glad for the distraction.

"The heck's going on over there?" an earth pony named Macabre asked his friend while looking through a pair binoculars.

"Something to do with those lantern-ponies," responded the unicorn named Ferak dully, shifting his fire-lance from one shoulder to the other. "Overheard the captain talking about it. Zombie incursion or something."

"Aw, what? Seriously?" Macabre angrily threw down his binoculars. "When I volunteered for this gig, I thought there was going more zombie killing. Instead there's just a whole lot of-of not zombie killing going on!" Macabre kicked a nearby tombstone. "Hey! You hear that?! All your little friends are coming out to play, so why aren't you?!"

"Don't do that," said Ferak, sounding very unconcerned. "Somepony might complain. And I hate complainers."

The annoyed earth pony sat down next to Ferak and fumed. "This is outrageous. Everypony else is getting to have all the fun! When are we gonna see some action?"

"Are you serious?" said a new voice. The two guards turned in surprise to see a pegasus mare walking up to the pair. "Sorry, I couldn't help overhearing. I'm Crosscut by the way, I was sent to replace that guy who hurt himself--"

"Whoa. Say that again." interrupted Macabre.

"What?"

"Your voice," said Ferak, looking slightly bemused. "You sound just like Princess Celestia."

Crosscut fluttered her wings irritably. "Oh, yeah. That. Everypony says that."

"This is awesome!" exclaimed Macabre. "Quick say something about friendship!"

"How about--no."

"Okay, Okay, I get it. Sore subject. Anyways, I'm Macabre and this is Ferak. Make fun of his name and he'll shoot you."

"It's true." conceded Ferak.

"And you were saying something?"

"Yes, you honestly want to fight those things?" asked the pegasus. "I mean, have you even seen them?"

"Have you?" asked Ferak.

"As a matter of fact, I have."

The unicorn raised an eyebrow at this. "Really? Would you mind telling me where?"

Macabre had lost interest in the ongoing conservation. He examined his hoof, wondered idly if he needed a manicure, then hummed a tune to himself while he looked around graveyard...and noticed something strange with the ground a few feet away. Frowning slightly, Macabre trotted away from his fellow guards as they continued their discussion.

"You don't believe me?" asked Crosscut looking frustrated.

"I'm just curious is all," replied Ferak. "Where'd you happen to see one of these dark lanterns or whatever they're called? 29 Fronds? Appleloosa? Tartarus's Point?"

"I was at the outpost outside Oaton."

"Funny. I don't remember hearing Oaton getting attacked."

"I didn't say that we were attacked, I just saw it."

The ground before Macabre shifted and moved almost like water. Taking a quick glance around, Macabre noted that there was several similar spots around the graveyard, unnoticed by the other guards.

"Alright, alright, my mistake. So how close were you to it?"

"Uh, well, not that close..."

"How close were you?"

"It was about a--a fair distance away."

"'Fair distance'? How far is that suppose to be?"

"Hey you two!" Macabre called out to the pair. "Either of you know what's up with the ground?"

A tendril of dirt wrapped around the earth pony's neck and pulled him into the ground.

Ferak and Crosscut stood in stunned silence for a moment. Crosscut recovered first.

"We're under attack--" she started to cry out, only to be cut off as the ground suddenly exploded. A scream that sounded like Celestia's pierced the evening sky and then was quickly silenced.

Pandemonium gripped the graveyard as the battalion found themselves being attacked by the dirt beneath their hooves. Some of the pegasi tried to fly away, only to be dragged back down by thick dirt tentacles. The unicorns uselessly fired magic at the muck that was encasing their legs. The earth ponies could only scream as they were pulled under.

And then, as quickly as it began, it was over. An eerie hush settled over the now empty graveyard, the only evidence that there had been anypony there moments ago, were a few empty helmets and the occasional fire lance sticking out of the ground. And for a few seconds there was silence. Then...

"What'd I tell ya?" exclaimed Black Lantern Puddinghead, bursting from the ground. "Not only am I able think inside a chimney, I'm also able to think underneath a full layer of topsoil!"

If Black Lantern Smart Cookie still had eyes, she would've been rolling them now. "Of course you did, your chancellorship, how could I ever doubt you?"

The banter between the two wasn't genuine. The black rings were programmed to act and respond to situations like their host bodies had in life, even when there were no victims around.

Puddinghead floated over to a patch of dirt. "Now come on, Smart Cookie," she said, digging up Ferak's body. "The stripy pony's distraction isn't going to last to forever. Hello there! I've always had a certain respect for the unicorn people!"

A hissing sound filled the air as a mass of black rings descended on the graveyard.

<Flesh.>

<Flesh.>

<Flesh.>

Puddinghead placed her rotting hoof onto Ferak's chest. "Do you mind if I have a little heart to heart with you?" Digging ring generated talons into his body, the Black Lantern tore his heart out in a spray of blood and gore. "Sorry, stupid joke. I know." Behind her, Smart Cookie did the same to Crosscut and all around the black rings flew to all the graves.

<Grass'n'Clouds of Equestria>

<Blackbelt of Equestria>

<Esmeral Bookwise of Equestria>

<Firefly of Equestria>

<Fizzy Orange of Equestria>

Puddinghead watched Ferak's heart as it disintegrated into ash and chuckled to herself. "Oh, Smart Cookie, this is going to be a night to remember."

A black ring flew over to one particular grave.

<Gem Star of Equestria>

<RISE.>

<o>

"...and then, Ditzy, you said something about, 'the doctor is out, but he'll be back soon' and then you started beating me," said Time Turner. "Do you think it means anything? I mean, dreams are supposed symbolic and stuff, right?"

Ditzy placed some more dishes onto the counter as Time Turner continued to wash them. "Eh, it probably just means that you read too many Doctor Whooves books."

"Or that you need to see a psychiatrist," added Sparkler from the table where she was helping Dinky do her homework. "Seriously, Time Turner, that was the most depressing thing I've heard in a while--and there a zombie apocalypse going on right now! Speaking of which..."

Ditzy flinched slightly at that. A part of her had hoping that this wouldn't come up again.

"Ditzy, have you been thinking anymore about what we were talking about earlier?"

"Talking about what?" asked Time Turner, scrapping at a stubborn spot on a plate.

Ditzy sighed. "Sparkler doesn't think we're not safe out here and wants us to move into town for awhile."

"We're moving into town?" asked Dinky.

"Focus on your homework, dear," said Ditzy taking a seat at the table. "And I'm...well, I'm still not sure."

Sparkler frowned at this. "Oh? Why not?"

"It just that..." Ditzy heaved another sigh before continuing. "When I talk to ponies on my route, they're so afraid and panicked by all the zombies and they're all talking about leaving and going to somewhere safer like Cantorlot or Manehatten. I hate seeing ponies act like that and if I did move it'd feel like I was giving in to that same fear."

Sparkler frowned at this and moved closer to Ditzy. "But you wouldn't be moving away, it's just into town, and it's like it would be forever. We all know that it's a matter of time before either the elements or the lanterns end this."

Ditzy mulled this over in her head for a moment before turning to her coltfriend. "So what do you think?"

"Oh, um," said Time Turner, almost dropping a plate. "Well, I hate to admit it, but I'm with Amethyst. I mean, It wouldn't hurt to just play it safe for a little while. And, really, is there any good reason to stay here?"

Ditzy closed her eyes for a moment...

...Gem Star and a very pregnant Ditzy stood in front of the house, looking at it.

"Well? What do you think?" asked Gem Star. "I know it isn't much, but hopefully it's only going to be a temporary thing."

"It's alright," said Ditzy, nuzzling him gently. "As long as you're here, it's perfect..."

"No, you guys are right," she said. "I'm just being stubborn, I guess. I'll talk to Carrot Top in the morning, see if it's alright if we stayed at her place for awhile-"

Fzz-zap.

Four sets of voices cried out in the surprise as the kitchen was suddenly plunged into darkness.

"M-Momma? What happened to the lights?" asked Dinky, running to Ditzy.

"Did we blow a breaker?" asked Time Turner, looking around.

"I don't see how..." said Sparkler.

Shh!" said Ditzy, after rubbing Dinky's head reassuringly. "Did any of you hear that?"

The ponies stopped and listened. After a moment, there was nothing. Then...

Cre-CRSSSH!

A side of the kitchen exploded. Time Turner was knocked forward and onto the table, crushing it. Ditzy and Sparker threw themselves to the ground, Ditzy using her own body to shield Dinky from the falling debris.

An immense black wrecking ball now floated in the new hole in the side of the kitchen. After a second, it flickered and faded away...leaving something else standing in it's place...

"Oh, sweet Celestia..." whispered Ditzy as the three watched it enter the kitchen.

A wide rictus smile appeared on Black Lantern Gem Star's rotting face. "Honey I'm hoooome!"



To be continued...