• Published 19th Dec 2013
  • 2,473 Views, 49 Comments

Let It Snow - Jade Ring



Several sweet and romantic drabbles set on one snowy night in Ponyville.

  • ...
3
 49
 2,473

Prologue- A Story About Snow

There is a story they tell in Ponyville.

It's a story that, at first glance, seems familiar. Upon closer inspection, however, one discovers that there have been some small changes in each telling. Characters have been replaced or added, morals may have been shoved in to give the story a point...

But the point of a story is that it's a story.

And this is a story about snow.

Not just any snow, mind you, but the snow that falls on the night of Hearth's Warming Eve. In Ponyville, they say there's a magic in that snow.

You all know the story of the first Hearth's Warming Eve. How three tribes became one family and founded a new land in the spirit of love, tolerance, and friendship. How the power of what was in their hearts was enough to drive away the Windigos, those terrible beasts who brought with them that cursed, endless winter.

As the story is told in Ponyville, each year the Windigos come back.

The snow on Hearth's Warming Eve is indeed magical, but not for the reasons you'd think. It is a test, an experiment wrought by the Windigos to see if the bonds between ponies has faltered at all in the past year. Since Ponyville is special in that it's called home by pegasi, unicorns, and earth ponies, the Windigos choose the little town each year as the measuring stick of love and friendship in Equestria.

That is why, ponies say, you must be with those you love on the night of Hearth's Warming Eve. You must show that love and give it enough strength that it burns into the night and drives the Windigos away for one more year.

Besides, Santa Hooves can't find his way to Ponyville if his way is blocked by magical snow.

Tonight, let us peer down ever-so-briefly into the lives of these ponies we've come to know and love and see how they intend to drive away the Windigos this night.

Yes, the sun has been laid to rest and the moon shines bright in the sky. The stars are twinkling, but very few can be seen with the gathering clouds. In the town below, the lights are lit, the fires are started, and the little ones prepare for bed.

The mood is set. The moment is prepared.

There! Falling gracefully from the cloud... the very first flake.

Now... let it snow.