• Published 19th Dec 2013
  • 2,432 Views, 49 Comments

Let It Snow - Jade Ring



Several sweet and romantic drabbles set on one snowy night in Ponyville.

  • ...
3
 49
 2,432

Baby, It's Cold Outside

“Nope... that snow ain't lettin' up anytime soon.” Applejack shook her head and returned to the sofa after peering out the window. “I knew we shoulda headed back when we had the chance.”

“Lighten up, sugar-flank.”

Rainbow Dash's voice came from the kitchen, her tone of voice and terminology telling Applejack exactly what she needed to know. “Alright Dash; what did you find?”

“I have no idea.” The lightning blue mare wobbily floated into the main sitting room from the kitchen, a strange green bottle clutched in her hooves. “I love it though. Who knew Fluttershy had insta-buzz in a bottle?”

Applejack laughed and began tossing her hat up in the air and catching it again. “At least you've got something to occupy yourself. Ain't no tellin' how long we're gonna be stuck out here.”

Her tittering mare-friend floated over and landed clumsily next to her on the sofa. “You say that like it's a bad thing.”

It was supposed to have been a simple errand, half a day's work at most. Fluttershy had finally decided to sell her cottage and Applejack and Rainbow Dash had volunteered to give it a once over before the realtor came by. No more than half an hour after arriving, the snowstorm had hit with a vengeance.

They were trapped.

Unless...

“Sugarcube, I think we can make it.”

“Woo! That's my girl!” Dash pumped a triumphant hoof in the air and looked at her mare-friend suggestively. “And you haven't even had a sip yet.”

Applejack ignored her and allowed her hat to land snugly back on her head. “Me and you... we're two of the strongest ponies in town! All we gotta get is a little rope...”

“Liking it so far.”

“...tie each other together...”

“...keep going.”

“...and we can just force our way through the... GALDARNIT DASH, WILL YA STOP FIDDLING WITH MY TAIL?! This is serious.”

Dash pouted as she pulled her hoof back and took another gulp from the bottle. “What's the big deal if we're stuck until the snow stops?”

Applejack huffed, jumped off the couch, and started pacing. “The family's probably worried sick about us.”

“Are you kidding?” Dash started to stand, noted how the room was starting to tilt slightly, and reconsidered, opting instead to remain on the couch. “Applebloom's been talking about that sleepover all week. And you can't tell me Mac and Shutterfly... Fluffershy... your sister-in-law won't appreciate a little romantic alone time.”

“Granny...”

“...is asleep by now and you know it.”

Applejack slumped to the floor, defeated.

Noting the sadness in the mare's posture, Dash very carefully lifted herself from the couch and began to slowly make her way towards her. She measured every step, hoping Applejack would miss her obvious swaying. “Besides, would you really rather spend the night trudging in the cold snow than warm with your most excellent mare-friend?” She shook the still half-full vessel of liquid still clutched by a hoof. “Or this most excellent bottle of spirits?”

Applejack sighed in defeat, offered her lover a smile, and reached for the bottle.

Half an hour later and the bottle was nearly empty.

“What is in this drink?” Applejack pondered aloud as she stared at the bottle as hard as she could, almost as though she believed a label would materialize if she willed it.

Dash hiccuped and pulled Applejack's hat tighter around her rainbow mane. “I dunno... but I hope 'Shy's got more laying around.”

“Eeyup.”

Rainbow Dash did a double take. “Did you just say 'eeyup?'”

Applejack thought about it and shook her head.

“Yes you did. You totally just used your brother's catchphrase.” Dash collapsed in a pile of giggles. “You really are drunk.”

Applejack shrugged and made to drain the bottle.

Dash saw the precious liquid flowing down the earth pony's throat and gasped. “Hey! I wanted some more!” She tackled the farmer, pinning her to the sofa and catching the bottle in one movement.

Too late. It was empty.

Rainbow Dash frowned down at Applejack. “That wasn't very generous of you.”

“Wrong Element.” Applejack hiccuped. She looked up at her love with hooded eyes. “But there might be some left... if you know where to look.”

Dash forgot about the bottle and let it fall as she and Applejack's lips came together.

They lay that way for a while, kissing and touching and caressing... the only thing that existed for them in that moment was each other.

It was Dash who finally came up for air and looked out the window. “That snow is showing no signs of stopping. Wanna start a fire?”

Applejack noticed that her hat was still atop Dash's head. She flicked it off and wrapped a fore-leg around her neck, caressing the silkiness of her mane. “Nah, I reckon we can keep each other plenty warm.”

As their lips met again, Dash had to agree with her.

The hat floated gently across the room and landed next to the now empty bottle.

Applejack and Rainbow Dash.

Honesty and Loyalty.

Lovers.