• Published 19th Dec 2013
  • 2,454 Views, 49 Comments

Let It Snow - Jade Ring



Several sweet and romantic drabbles set on one snowy night in Ponyville.

  • ...
3
 49
 2,454

Santa Baby

The chimney had been a very bad idea in retrospect.

Spike sat up from where he'd fallen after his entry and rubbed the sore spot on the back of his head. His red suit, ill-fitting on his teenage dragon frame, was splotched with black soot and his fur-lined hat had become hooked on the mantle. He stood and ensured the false beard, long and white and itchy, was still covering his chin. After grabbing the hat and a quick dust off, 'Santa Hooves' was back in business.

He knelt down to pull the first gift from his bag when the voice called out.

“Good evening, Mister Hooves.”

Spike spun to face the speaker just as she magically lit the lamp next to her couch. He observed her lithe form, wrapped in a silk night-gown, stretched out on the scarlet fabric and felt a familiar pang of desire. Remembering his role, Spike deepened his voice before responding. “Good evening to you, Miss Rarity.”

Rarity giggled and lifted her glass of eggnog to her lips, taking a dainty sip. “What a surprising turn of events. On the same day that I tell my amour that I think it's time I tell my dear Sweetie Belle that Santa Hooves isn't coming this year, who should show up right out of my chimney? Getting soot on my carpet, I must add.”

“Sorry.” He shuffled his feet and cast a sidelong glance at the bag of gifts.

“Now that I have you here before me, Mister Hooves, I have so many questions!” She took another sip of eggnog and smirked at him. “Such as; why are you called Santa Hooves when you haven't any hooves at all?”

Spike face-palmed and looked at his claws. “Uh... You see, I give gifts to creatures all over Equestria and I must change my shape to match theirs. Yours is the first house I've visited since returning from the dragon lands.”

Rarity nodded. “I might have guessed as much. Your tail gave you away, darling.”

A second face-palm.

Rarity lowered her cup to a nearby table, stood, and traipsed her way up to the flustered young dragon. “So tell me, Santa... what did you bring me?”

Spike turned from her and bent over to rustle about in his sack of gifts. “Truth be told, they're mostly for Sweetie Belle. I think there might be one or two for you in he... HEY!” He yelped as she playfully tugged his tail with her magic.

She giggled and continued her slow walk around him. “Oh come now, Santa. I've been such a good girl this year. I've been nice and generous and I've only kissed a handful of stallions. Slept with even less.”

Spike rounded on her, his mouth hanging open. “What was that last part?”

Rarity laughed again and put a hoof on his chest. “Just fooling with you, darling. I had to make you drop that ridiculous facade somehow.” She found his lips under the beard and kissed him lightly. “Now what are you doing in my house this late in that ridiculous get up?”

Spike shrugged and returned to his task of putting the wrapped gifts beneath the tree. “I figured if I pulled this off, then Sweetie Belle could keep believing just a little longer.”

Rarity rolled her eyes. “Spike, Sweetie Belle's growing up. She's not some little filly anymore. For goodness sake, she finally has her cutie mark.”

“I know, but...”

“Besides, she's the same age I was when my parents told me about Santa Hooves. How he stops visiting when you reach a certain age.”

Spike placed the last gift and faced his unicorn lover. “Do you know why he stops visiting?”

Rarity shrugged.

“Because when you're young, there's so much less you have to worry about. You have an innocence about you that lets you believe that anything is possible and there's nothing truly terrible in the world.” He looked at the Hearth's Warming tree, all twinkling lights and delicate baubles. “Santa Hooves rewards that innocence, that belief, with his gift-giving visit each year. But when a filly or colt starts to grow up, starts to lose that innocence... they stop believing. And they don't need Santa Hooves anymore.”

Rarity sniffed and wiped a tear from her eye. “What a beautiful thought, Spike. Wherever did you hear it?”

“One of Twilight's books, obviously.” He smiled at her. “Yes, Sweetie Belle has her cutie mark, and yes, she's going to be a young mare soon. But why can't she keep that innocence just a little longer?”

Rarity said nothing, just stepped up to him, threw her forelegs about him, and hugged him as tightly as she could. “Who are you, you magnificent dragon? How are you so wise for one so young?”

He hugged her back, breathing in the jasmine in her mane. “I guess there's still a part of me that's still a little kid.”

“Yes.” Rarity pulled back one of her legs and let her hoof trail down his chest. “But another part of you certainly is not.”

Spike coughed, flustered. “Sorry. You just smell really nice.”

Rarity giggled and caressed his back spines. “So tell me, 'Santa;' what did you bring me this year?” Her hoof reached it's destination. “Oh, have I been naughty? This feels like coal.”

Spike growled and kissed the spot on her ear he knew she liked. “It's not coal... but it is most definitely going into your stocking.”

She laughed and kissed him again. “I love you, my big, strong Spikey-Wikey.”

“And I love you, m'lady.” He made to remove the beard but she stopped him. “Wha...?”

“Leave it on.” She smirked at him. “Leave it on, take me to that couch, and make me believe.”

She squealed when he scooped her into his arms and made for the plush red piece of furniture. “Guess it's finally time for me to unwrap my gift.”

She laughed and kissed him. “Oh, Santa baby...”

Spike and Rarity.

Dragon and Unicorn.

Believers.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Scootaloo and Applebloom looked up as Sweetie Belle shut the bedroom door, a haunted look in her eyes as she lowered the tray holding the milk and cookies she'd pilfered from the kitchen.

“You okay?” The young pegasus asked.

Sweetie Belle looked at them in each in turn before shaking her head. “I think... I think...”

“What?”

“I think I saw mommy kissing Santa Hooves.”