• Published 8th Dec 2013
  • 658 Views, 6 Comments

Letters in a Different Hand - Star Sage



A Letter Written by a Man, and a Letter Written by a Pony

  • ...
6
 6
 658

Letter to my Past Self

Dear Human Self,

Cinnamon. Her hair, it smelled like cinnamon on that day. It's hard to recall the other details. We didn't do so well then, did we? Heh, Sis was always better at handling that sort of thing. We always tried to act so aloof, like we didn't care, but in the end, it hit us hard.

If your curious, I decided to indeed change my name. For some reason, these mouths, longer and broader than our human one, don't form the syllables correctly for those old names. Or maybe it's the brain, maybe it tries to disconnect itself from that old life, to find something new.

I'm calling myself, Silver Circuit now. If you're curious, we kept our old job, and it's a lot easier now. We scored the jackpot, wings and a horn, an alicorn form. Some are already saying we did something messed up, and Jil...Heart Warmer says it's a sign, that we were meant for great things. I don't know about that, I want to build things, I'm an engineer now and forever, now I can just control a dozen tools at once while hovering over the project.

I'm building a defense turret now. The Conversion Bureau we went to for our change...it was attacked. While we were getting done. They think that's why it happened, but they aren't complaining. Alicorns are rare. Not as rare as they were in Old Equestria, but still, one in a million.

The woman helping us into our chamber. She was a nice mare, a unicorn. She was so bright, full of smiles, full of laughter. She told jokes, and talked about mind control and stuff. She was so sweet, like an aunt or something, and assured us there was nothing to worry about.

Then they came in. They were armed and armored. That black, anti magic crap that sometimes works to keep us humans from burning out or going nuts. She told them they weren't allowed in the room during the change. She was worried about them, saying that even the armor wouldn't protect them. The last thing we saw was her getting shot, and then she fell back on the control panel.

Next thing I know, it's all light. Not blinding, not hot, but warm and comforting. Yet it had an anger to it. When it passed, I was in this body. Silver fur covering it, a golden silky mane, and my wings and horn. The Resistance members were dead by the time I came too.

Was it the magic from my change over? They say that mare pushed the button for the Conversion in her last seconds, and that the magic from the process is what did them in. But I don't know if I believe that. I remember that rage I felt. I wanted them dead, and I'm scared, terrified in fact, that I let my first act as a pony be murder.

We'll never know, of course, but I'm going to make sure this never happens again. I'm helping build and design better defenses for the Conversion Points. That will keep those idiots out. I try to make them non-lethal, non-threatening, just knock the morons out. But every time I do, I can hear her laughter, and I want to put something in my designs that's deadly.

Celestia, the god queen herself, says it's normal. She says I have a lot of magic, and more than that, I have a duty to lead now, to serve as an example to everypony. I don't know how to feel about that either. But still, the tea she gave me was nice, once I figured out how to lift the cup with magic.

I don't know what else to tell you, me. I don't feel different. The Magic of Friendship is maybe there. The world is a bit brighter, and I feel happier sometimes. Yet, I can't help but remember who I was, who I wanted to be, and her face. I don't even remember her name anymore, but I remember that face.

So, I'm going to keep going. I'm not human anymore, but I'm not what I feared I'd be either. I know there are those out there who reject what I've become, and for them, I'm doing my best. I'm helping to design an antimagic dome for those sorts to live in. Maybe, after that's done, there will be no reason for the killing?

Whatever happens in the future, I only know one thing. I'm glad I wrote that letter to myself. And I'm glad Jill made me read it. She said it would help, and she was right. Now I know I'm still me, and I'm not going to change that now. I'm going to build a better world, for ponies, humans, and anyone else who wants to live in peace.

Sincerely,

Silver Circuit

Comments ( 5 )

3595578

Thanks, I wrote this in about an hour just to see what would happen. Glad you liked it.

This story is short but so awsome at the same time.

3595998

Short stories can be just as affecting as epic length novel series, if done right.

An Alicorn OC that doesn't annoy me?

:pinkiegasp: IMPOSSIBROHOOF! :pinkiegasp:

4054821

Probably because he doesn't really do anything other than act sad, angry, and then sad again. Rather than using his super awesome mary sue powers to undo all the bad stuff.

Login or register to comment