• Published 29th Dec 2013
  • 780 Views, 3 Comments

Lost Cause - guitarguyjoe



A strange pony has wandered into ponyville for a reason he refuses to share, but that doesn't stop our favorite fashionista from helping him.

  • ...
6
 3
 780

Chapter 3: Day 1

I woke up from my recurring nightmare at about 6:00 am. I found myself on a couch in a fancy home. "So, it wasn't a cruel dream." I said to no one in particular. I decided that I should find someway to thank Miss Rarity for showing such kindness to a stranger, so I decided to prepare her some breakfast. Let's hope I still know how to make pancakes.
Rarity's POV

Rarity woke up from her peaceful slumber. She checked her clock to see that it was 6:30am. She got out of the bed and noticed something she should have noticed sooner. The distinct smell of smoke was filling her nose. She facehoofed and began running for the stairs. "Didn't Sweetiebelle learn from last time?" she thought as she made it to the ground floor and went into the kitchen to find that Umbra had made breakfast.

"Morning boss" said the black clad unicorn . He had set the table and prepared pancakes, coffee, and Sweetie's lunch while she was sleeping.

"Umbra," Rarity began "did you do all this for me?"

He nodded "I figured I wanted to try being generous to you for a change."

Sweetiebelle bursted through the doors with an alarmed look. "Where's the fire!" She exclaimed.

Umbra blushed and chuckled shyly "Yeah, my first attempt wasn't exactly perfect." He pointed to the garbage which had a few burnt pancakes in it.

Rarity smiled "Well, I suppose thanks are in order."

Sweetie had already gone up and hugged Umbra. "Thank you sir for making breakfast." She said.

"And lunch" said Umbra pointing to the lunch box on the counter. "What time do you have to leave for school?"

Sweetie gasped in horror. "Oh no, I'm gonna be late!" She exclaimed as she grabbed the lunch box and her book bag. She ran out the door saying "Bye Rarity, see you after school."

Rarity sat at the table and began eating the pancakes with curiosity. They tasted satisfying, but she wasn't curious about the food. She was curious to see how the day would go with this mysterious stallion helping out with her work.
Umbra's POV

I felt like Rarity was eyeing me the whole time we sat eating breakfast. I wanted to thank her for all she did and I was determined to work hard and earn my keep, but she was making me nervous looking at me with those sapphire eyes that seemed to look directly into my soul.

We finished eating and I washed the dishes despite her insistence that I let her do it.

Once the dishes were washed and the table was cleaned we went into the boutique part of the house and began work.

"Now darling" Rarity said "would you mind standing on the pedestal for a while and let me get some measurements."

"Sure thing" I said. I walked up the small step and was immediately greeted with a measuring tape along my side.

"Oh my, you're rather tall," Rarity spoke in marvel as she began measuring my width "but far to thin. We'll have to fix that." She smirked.

I was beginning to have second thoughts about this job when the jingle at the door caught both our attention. Standing at the entrance was a yellow pegasis with a pink mane.

Rarity looked past me at the new visitor and smiled brightly. "Why hello, Fluttershy. How can I help you."

The pegasis just stood there and stared at me. I couldn't understand why considering I had taken a shower just last night. I couldn't look that bad.

Rarity then looked at me and realized why the newcomer was so quiet. "Oh, how rude of me. Fluttershy this is my new stallion model, Umbra. Umbra, this is my dear friend, Fluttershy.

"How do you do?" I said, politely bowing to her.

Fluttershy just blushed and said "Oh, I-I'm fine. And you?"

"I am doing well, thank you." I stated standing straight. Rarity was right I was rather tall considering I stood taller than the pegasis before me. Of course that could have been because of the pedestal, but still.

"Good," exclaimed Rarity "Now that we're all aquainted, how can I help you, Fluttershy?"

"Oh, um" she stammered and began to rub her hooves together nervously. "I just wanted to know, if you weren't busy, if you could fix my sunhat." She then held up a sunhat with many flowers decorating it and a tear in the rim.

"Of course, darling" Rarity assured. She then took the hat and went in back.

Fluttershy and I stood there a moment in awkward silence before I decided to break it.

"So miss Fluttershy, what do you do?" I asked

"Oh I-I just take care of the animals around here." she replied while trying to hide behind her mane. "W-What about you? What did you do before you came here."

I was a bit reluctant to respond to this question but she was so sweet it was almost impossible to resist. "I was a greeter at Stal-Mart before this."

She looked at me curiously. "But your cutie mark is a pony silhouette of a unicorn. That doesn't seem to fit a greeter."

I knew she wanted more but I don't want to tell anypony about my life before Manehatten. It's too gruesome.

Just then Rarity was back with the hat. "There you go deary, good as new." She smiled towards her friend.

"Oh, thank you Rarity." gasped Fluttershy as she took the hat and reached for her pouch for bits.

Rarity held up a hoof "No need for that darling." she said.

With that Fluttershy left and again I was curious. "You do realize that if you keep being so generous your business could go bankrupt." I said.

"Oh puh-lease," she retorted "I have plenty of bits to spare, practically enough to feed me and Sweetie for months."

"But do you have enough business to keep it that way?" I asked and she fell silent.

I had found a flaw in her plans, and I had also found a way to repay my debt.

Author's Note:

Hello people. I am back and I have been brainstorming trying to focus on my other stories, but new ones keep popping into my head. I apologize because I know all of you want to read my pirate story and such, but when something gets stuck in my head, it won't go away until I act upon it. Also I will inform you that I write short chapters because it is to hard for me to write more that a 600 words for one scene. I like to think of my stories as movies that play in my head and I just describe it as I see it so deal with it.

Sincerely, GG Joe