• Published 27th Nov 2013
  • 1,475 Views, 42 Comments

When I Hear Her Voice - Brohgue



Scootaloo considers herself many things: awesome, cool, President of the Rainbow Dash Fan-club... but she never imagined she'd ever call herself... in love?

  • ...
6
 42
 1,475

Prologue

The three crusaders sat in their clubhouse. Usually, everypony would be taking advantage of such a perfect day outside. Everypony except Button Mash, at least. There was just one problem. Sweetie Belle, normally such a happy little filly, cried uncontrollably in the center of the clubhouse floor.

Both of her companions were doing their best to comfort her, but to no avail. Sweetie continued to cry, her arms wrapped around Applebloom. Applebloom rubbed Sweetie’s back gently. “Sweetie, you will git yer mark eventually,” Applebloom stated.

“N-no I won’t!” Sweetie tightened her hug around her fellow crusader, sobbing into Applebloom’s chest.“You guys both got yours a year ago! Now I’m the only pony in class without my cutie mark!” Sweetie let go of Applebloom and sat up on her haunches. She held her hind legs with her forelegs and sobbed louder.

“Sweetie.” Scootaloo trotted a bit closer to her friend. “You are just a little late. We can help you get your mark!” She gave the unicorn a reassuring smile.

Sweetie wiped some of the tears soaking her face off with her hoof. She looked up at her orange friend with tear-filled eyes, still sobbing loudly

“Sweetie, you need to be positive!” Scootaloo raised her voice excitedly. “Why don’t we go to the beach and make sand castles or something?” She raised her fore hooves in the air for emphasis. Sweetie stared up at her friend, lifting an eyebrow.

“You don’t even like making sand castles,” Sweetie said quietly, wiping more tears off her face. Scootaloo shrugged. She trotted to Sweetie and picked her up off the ground. She stared into her eyes. Her smile lifted further.

“You do, though!” This made Sweetie smile; it felt good to know her friends cared. “When you're happy, I’m happy!” She dragged Sweetie by the hoof right out of the clubhouse, Applebloom following behind.

***


“Thanks for cheering me up, Scoots! This is fun!” Sweetie cheered as she finished another sand castle. Scootaloo sat, bored, with her hind hooves in the water. She moved her hoof around the inside of the murky beach water, making tiny whirlpools.

“Anything for you,” she said, failing to project any enthusiasm. Sweetie frowned and trotted over to Scootaloo. She sat beside her and put her hoof around her shoulder. Sweetie smiled happily. She trotted excitedly in front of Scootaloo and looked into her lazy, purple eyes.

“I know what will cheer you up.” Sweetie nudged Scootaloo. Scootaloo stared into Sweetie’s big green eyes and sighed. She gestured Sweetie back to her sand castle and focused her attention back to the miniature whirlpools.

“I am not really in the mo—” Scootaloo was cut off when Sweetie put her hoof on Scootaloo’s lips. With growing frustration, Scootaloo lightly brushed her friend’s hoof away.

“Of course you are!” Sweetie stood up and took a deep breath. She opened her mouth and began to sing:


We are the Cutie Mark Crusaders...” Scootaloo sighed and turned to her friend. She might as well humor her white friend.

“...On a quest to find out who we are...” Several ponies turned their heads, all curious to see who was singing so wonderfully. All eyes fell upon the small filly by the shore of the beach.

“...And we will never stop the journey...” Sweetie closed her eyes, now completely lost in song. She started to sway and occasionally spin in place to the beat that played in her head.

“...Not until we have our cutie marks...” A crowd started to gather around the crusaders, surprised at how good Sweetie’s voice sounded. The crowd started to dance and sway to her voice.

“...We are the Cutie Mark Crusaders...” Applebloom and Scootaloo noticed the large crowd around them start to increase; colts, fillies, mares and stallions all swaying or dancing to the sound of Sweetie’s beautiful singing voice. They both smiled and continued to listen.

“...On a quest to find out who we are...” Scootaloo had never noticed how amazing Sweetie’s voice really sounded. She soon joined in with the crowd and started swaying to the five star performer in front of them. This was one of the few things in Equestria that Scootaloo would call beautiful. Even if it was a little cheesy.

“...And we will never stop the journey...” Applebloom glanced at Scootaloo and noticed the big goofy grin. She couldn’t help but giggle as she trotted next to Scootaloo and took a seat beside her.

“...Not until we have our cutie marks!” Sweetie opened her eyes to see a huge crowd. She squeaked and tried to hide behind her mane. To her surprise, everypony started cheering. Chancing a peek through her mane, everypony was pounding their hooves on the sand as hard as they could. Sweetie stood up straight, smiling as she saw ponies she didn’t even know, cheering! The thing that made her most happy was that the loudest one in the audience was Scootaloo. She bowed and trotted to her friends. The crowd quickly dispersed.

Scootaloo was still cheering loudly, clapping her hooves on the ground and yelling. “Woooo! Yeah Sweetie!”

Scootaloo quickly trotted to Sweetie and congratulated her. Applebloom gasped loudly once she noticed what adorned Sweetie’s flank. The other two glanced at their fellow crusader in confusion.

“Sweetie, ya got yer cutie mark!” Applebloom squealed happily as she hopped in the air.

Sweetie’s eyes widened as she heard Scootaloo gasp. She whipped her head around to look at her flank. There it was, a bright golden bell surrounded by quarter and eighth notes. Sweetie stared, speechless in awe at her mark. She squealed happily. She tackled Scootaloo into a massive hug.

This was the greatest moment of her life.













My entry to the Scootabelle Writing Contest 1. Hope you enjoyed the story! Please rate and comment! I love receiving feedback! Feel free to point out mistakes, I will fix them as quick as possible! T.C.P out