• Published 28th Nov 2013
  • 455 Views, 14 Comments

Blue Bones, Necromancer of the Cold - StockPhotos



Blue Bones, prince of Whitehorse, the biggest city in all the Frozen North, is secretly a necromancer. When his father, King White Hoof, discovers this Blue Bones is exiled to a far away land. Baltimare. The thriving port city.

  • ...
0
 14
 455

Ch.1

Ch.1

"Ticket," asked the conductor of the mechanical wonder known as a "train." I was woken by his voice, my eyes popping in surprise that nopony else was onboard the steamship with wheels. He asked again, "Sir, this is our finally stop for today. May I see your ticket?"

I waited for a moment, then pulled out my ticket from my small, white satchel. It was woven by my mother last year as a birthday present. It was insulated to protect against the cold, so any food inside for or from hunting trips wouldn't be frozen solid.

As I handed the ticket over to the conductor, he punched holes in it with another mechanical device that I haven't seen before. "Ah, well then Mr. Bones welcome to Baltimare." He welcomed, motioning me downt the isles of seats to the nearest exit. I was sitting in 3rd class. There was hay scattered across the floor, interior was unpainted, and the benches were just planks stretching from one wall to the center leaving a narrow gap between. It didn't have much support either. Only a block of wood every four or five hoofs or so apart, But that was the best I could afford and it really didn't bother me as much.

When I stood up to grab my satchel and feather coat to exit the train, I noticed my knees wouldn't bend. And when I figured out why, tears burst from eyes as I remembered the reason for coming here in the first place. I did not cry nor make any sound, but I was exploding with tears. The conductor stood their for a while, watching me weep in silence until he kindly said to me in a soft tone "You may leave when you would like, but the train departs in five minutes and you cannot be onboard when it does."

I nodded to let him know I understood and accepted his kind favor. And so I sat there for about four minutes, I could tell because there was a clock on the wall of the train, clearing my mind of my grief. Then I just left. I got up, strapped my satchel to my waist, threw my coat on top of my back, walked through the narrow Isle of seats, and headed through that door into a new world. The streetlights flickered in my vision, Snow was lightly falling and I donned my coat proudly.

As I walked in the streets in search of shelter, I heard Snow crunching where I walked. It made me feel happy to hear that sound. So happy that I started running around and jumping. I missed that sound. Walking around in the train and on the platforms sounded like I was in a boat.

I didn't like that because on my brother's boat he always made me feel useless when I was young. My brother is ten years older than me. I was forced to respect him. He wasn't a bad brother, he wouldn't treat me like a slave. He made me feel useless on his boat because he didn't want me to untangle the lines. He was about to teach me the different ropes and what they were for, but when he was supposed to return, he did not. We prayed on Lady Nautava (Lady of the Seas) that he would return within two weeks. When we gave up hope for him to return, we held a funeral in his honor.

I stopped playing in Snow so I could get going. It was getting late anyway. As I continued to walk down the magically lit street, I noticed somepony at the dock. I silently walked towards who I saw and as I crept closer and closer, I became aware that they had a book. Or what I assumed was a book. As they were unaware I was there, I whispered very quietly the Soul Seeking spell. As I did so, my right hoof began to glow dimmly with a blue shell surrounding an inner white ball of light. the words I whispered were "Faad-ight vor triik." Faad meant sight and Ight was a present-tense ending similar to -ing. Vor stood as "of" and Triik meant "inner-spirit" or soul in this case. Anyway, what I saw inside the ball of light was the symbol for magic, a six pointed star, but there was a second symbol, one I did not know. It was indescribable with countless bends, angles and intersections.

I disbanded the spell and tried to cast Shadow Blend (Joor tyu xthaluul), but by the time I looked up from the light she was staring right at me. A purple mare who was a unicorn and a magic user. She had a black mane with a streak of purple that matched her coat. She was furious about my spell. But she also seemed curious about it. As the look in her eyes changed from anger to "what's that?" her head cocked, staring at my hoof with the seeking spell still there. She responded

"I haven't seen that kind of magic before and if you're an earth pony, how can you even use magic in the first place?" Her soft voice pondered. "And what is that material, so strange." She had to continue.

"I can use magic because I read and practiced the arts of Kalyctas-toov."

"Who's that?" She questioned me again as if she were a filly, asking their father why he had to leave and how a war got started. Just how I had asked mine.

"You know, it's getting late and I should really find a place to stay. If we meet again I shall answer question for an answer." Just as I turned around, she stopped me. Her mouth opened to say something and what popped out was,

"You can stay with me for the night."