• Published 8th Mar 2012
  • 1,684 Views, 41 Comments

The Sparkling - Dash Attack



My first story before I learned about the power of editors and originality.

  • ...
12
 41
 1,684

A Gift And A Curse

[/Chapter 2]

[/A Gift And A Curse]

"After winning the the Little Miss Overhoof pageant, the young Photo Finsh decided that she would one day take the fashion world by storm. Now here is where you will find the kitchen."

Twilight and the others entered a large white room filled with everything a pony would need to cook a good meal. There were about 15 different stoves scattered throughout the room. Pots and pans hung from the ceiling, and dishes lay neatly on a large metallic table. In the corner of the room, stood a tall male Zebra who for some reason did not have a mane. The Zebra turned to face the elements and smiled.

"Don't Mind me Mr. Rich, I'm just making sure everything organized before heading back to Manehattan."

"It's no problem Zack, half the maids are still trying here to make sure all the sheets are clean, ladies this is Zack, one of the best cooks here at the Overhoof, and if a dare say it, all of Equestria. Say Zack, since you are still here, why don't you help show the new caretaker where everything is."

"I don't mind that at all Mr. Rich."

--------------------------------------------

Zack gave a brief rundown of all the equipment in the kitchen. Out of all the ponies, Raibow Dash and Raity were bored out of the minds by this point. Every so often Zack would be interrupted by Rainbow Dashe's frequent yawns, wile Raity desperate tried to act like she gave a crap about. Spike on the other hand was extremely hungry and wished that this stupid tour would be over already.

Almost has fast as he thought it the tall zebra turned to twilight and said, "That little rascal of yours looks mighty hungry, why don't I show Spike to the pantry and dish him ups some ice cream."

As they walked towards the pantry, something started to bug Twilight, she didn't remember introducing Spike to this stallion or what ever you call an adult male Zebra.

"Sire how did you know our dragon's name was Spike." Asked Twilght.

"Well I took a wild guess, those things on his back kind of look like spikes, how about you go finish your tour of the hotel while me and Spike has his ice cream."

"Yes Please" Dash blurted out almost without thinking.

Everypony just looked at her awkwardly has she stood hovered two meters off the ground with an uncomfortable look on her face.

"Um Rainbow", said Applejack, "I think you might need to apologize to Zack, and Pinky Pie for that matter, because that right there was totally rude."

She apologized and the ponies left the room leaving Spike alone with the mysterious zebra.

---------------------------------------
Spike sat quietly at the metal table with a bowl of chocolate ice cream with diamonds sprinkled on top. He and Zack sat there for about five minutes before finally one of them spoke.

"I bet you're wondering how I knew your name was Spkie. I can remember when I was a boy my grandmother and I had entire conversations without once opening our mouths. She called this ability 'sparkling'. I used to think me and her were the only ones who could do it, just like you thought you were the only one."

Spike just sat there with a blank expression on his face.

"Tell me spike, how long have you been able to do it."

"Just recently before Twilight took the job," he eventually said, "I can read peoples minds a little bit but that's about it. I'm sorry this voice in my head keeps telling me not to talk about it."

"What voice." Zack said with a worried look on his face

"I don't know, somepony named Bobby."

"Does Bobby ever show you things."

"When I sleep he show me images but I can't always remember everything."

Spike was starting to get really embarrassed. He must have sounded stark raving mad, but for some reason he felt like he could trust Zack. Spike had lied when he said he only noticed this ability recently. Sometime after Twilight hit him, he began to understand what ponies were thinking. Also someone in his mind by the name of Bobby kept showing him images that never made any sense, some of which were about the hotel.

"Are you afraid of this place Zack"

"Of course not," replied Zack, as a single drop of sweat slid past his snout, "It's just that in places like the Overhoof, when bad things happen, they tend to leave marks that only people who "sparkle" can see. Just like they can see things that haven't happened yet, they can also see things that happened ages ago. A lot of things have happened at this hotel over the years, and not if it was good."

Suddenly, a series of numbers ran threw Spike's head. He did not know where they came from. Did these numbers come form Zacks mind? Was this somthing that Zack was trying to hide from him? He decided to ask.

"What about room 237"

"What about it." Zack said, his face now frozen as he tried desperately to mask his feelings

"What's in 237"

"Nothing," Zack said, his tone now suddenly firmer and more direct, "But you don't have any business going in there anyway, so you better stay out, you hear me. Stay out."

------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile Filthy Rich and the others had just finished up the tour. They all said their farewells to Mr. Rich as he galloped off into the steep dirt path that would soon be covered once the snow kicked in. Because the hotel was practically out in the middle of nowhere, there were know whether ponies stationed in the area. There was a small town about 35 miles down the mountain but for the most part they didn't mind the harsh winter as much as other ponies would.

Spike and Zack came out of the kitchen and met up with the six. As the ponies set good bye to the chief, Spike's thoughts stared to reflect on everything he learned. What were these images he kept seeing in his mind? Why were they so horrible? Were they things that had happened in the past, or could they be visions from the future? Could they perhaps be a combination of both? All this put a lot of strain on the young dragon's mind.

He decided to forget about and and enjoy himself, for he had something to look forward to. He and Rarity was going to be together all winter long after all. He started to imagine him and her in the ballroom with candles on every table. He wore a little black tux with a red bow tie, and Rarity wore her gala dress.

"More apple juice madam." he said in a suave and sexy voice.

Suddenly his fantasy collapsed as Pinky Pie ranting about parties again.

"For the last time Pinky" yelled Rainbow Dash, "We don't want to to get Twillight in trouble, can't we just play a board game or something."

"Um, a nice quiet board game would be nice," said Fluttershy who had not said a word since their arrival, "Do you think we could play Ponopoly"

They unanimously agreed. As they began setting up the game Applejack notice Twilight exiting the room.

"Uh Twi, aren't ya gona play with everypony else. After all this game is your favorite."

"I would but I really want to get started working on the essay while my ideas are fresh in my mind." she said with a sheepish grin on her face.

"Well don't work ya self out ya here." replied Applejack.

Twilight looked for a nice cozy place to begin righting. She set her quill and paper down on a desk in the lounge and began getting ready to write. So far only one sentence came to mind, but it didn't make any sense. "That's not how I would normally start an essay." she thought to herself. "Well it's all I got so far so I might as well add it and work from there." With that and she levitated her quill and began to write. The sounds of her the quill could be heard through out the halls of the hotel as she worked.