• Published 4th Dec 2013
  • 1,711 Views, 40 Comments

Malefic Bonds - Razalon The Lizardman



Evil is never inherited; it's created from the despairs suffered by loss of love, purpose, and hope. When evil arises, villains are born and subsequently defeated, in turn giving rise to new ones in a never-ending cycle . . . until now.

  • ...
3
 40
 1,711

Ancient Ascendant (Part 4)

Solis’ birthday celebration lasted the rest of the day and carried over into the night, Celestia and Luna having excused themselves to bring it about, before re-joining the festivities. Despite it being his celebration, and having just become an alicorn, Solis only stayed the center of everypony’s attention for so long before they began mingling with each other. Solis was okay with this, though, and he quickly began busying himself with practicing levitating multiple objects at once with his new unicorn magic.

Most of the guards took to passing the time by chatting, a couple of fencing matches every so often, but mostly gorging to their heart’s content on the food. One day guard even went so far as to swipe the entire plate of chocolates, leaving Celestia confused, as well as a little teary-eyed, when she went to fetch another one upon returning with Luna.

The princesses spent their time just watching everypony, occasionally conversing with one when they approached. One such instance was with Tricolt, who, after excusing himself from his troops, joined Celestia where she stood, watching Solis practice his telekinesis.

“Highness,” he said, bowing slightly as he walked toward her.

“No need to be formal, captain,” Celestia said. She watched Solis for a few more moments, before turning her full attention to Captain Tricolt. “Art thou in need of something?”

Tricolt looked up to her with a concerned expression. “I have a message from Night Guard Captain Nightcanter, your highness⋯” He trailed off for a second, looking across the room. “It is about Princess Luna.”

Celestia quirked an eyebrow as she followed Tricolt’s gaze toward her sister. Luna was standing against the wall opposite them, seemingly staring at nothing as her eyes were unfocused, her face wearing a bored expression.

“Captain Nightcanter informed me earlier that Princess Luna’s recent behavior is very unusual for her,” Tricolt explained, drawing Celestia’s attention again. “According to him, her highness was once quite jovial in performing her nightly duties, whereas she hath been growing increasingly gruff and annoyed as of late.”

Celestia frowned, and turned to Luna again. “Yes, We hath noticed Luna growing increasingly distant during our twilight hour meetings. She refuses to say what the matter is, and it pains Us to see her so distraught, yet unwilling to ask for support.” She sighed, and turned back to Tricolt. “By chance, hath Our sister been more open with her Guard Captain?”

Tricolt shook his head. “According to Nightcanter, she refuses to speak even with him. Just last night, he says she came out of a dreamwalking session, annoyed, and refused to say why upon his asking.”

“Than We shall converse with her Ourselves,” Celestia said with conviction. She gave Captain Tricolt a sharp gaze that indicated her upcoming orders were to be obeyed without question. “In the meantime, We wish for thee to keep frequent contact with Captain Nightcanter. Tell him to inform you of any and all developments in Luna’s behavior starting tonight. This is a direct order from Us.”

Captain Tricolt started to nod in agreement, but stopped when a thought occurred to him. “But what if he is hesitant to go behind his princess’ back in this manner?” he asked.

Celestia smiled. “If he still cares for Our sister, then such an order should be of no bother to him, as it is to help Luna overcome whatever ails her.”

“Captain Nightcanter said he harbors no affection for Princess Luna anymore.”

“Loving and caring are not always intertwined with each other. A pony can care for another without harboring feelings of love for them.” Celestia turned her body to face Luna, but kept her attention on Tricolt. “Hopefully, We can make her open up to Us tonight, but in case We fail, give Our order to Captain Nightcanter while We speak with Luna.”

“Of course, your highness,” Tricolt said, and quickly left to find his Lunar colleague.

Celestia turned to face Luna, seeing she was still in the same place as before, with the same expression, and began trotting toward her. Princess Luna only took notice of her after Celestia rounded a group of chatting maids, but said nothing in response and returned to staring ahead at seemingly nothing. Celestia wore a cheerful smile as she approached.

“Are you enjoying the festivities, sister?” she asked.

“Yea, verily,” Luna said, rather unenthusiastically.

“Then why do you sound depressed rather than jovial?” Celestia tilted her head, regarding Luna with a wistful expression. “Is something the matter, sister?”

Luna said nothing for a few moments. As the silence stretched between them, Celestia thought she could hear low humming from her sister, almost agitated in its tone. This confused, and slightly concerned, her, as such behavior was unlike Luna when the two sisters conversed. It only served to further convince Celestia that her sister might need counseling.

Eventually, Luna turned to face Celestia, her expression one of exasperation, and replied with, “It is nothing that concerns you, sister, so please, leave me be.” She gestured with her head toward the various groups of ponies scattered throughout the dining room. “I imagine somepony wouldst appreciate your presence more so than I.”

“Of that, I have no doubt,” Celestia replied, before shaking her head disapprovingly. “However, it is you who needs my presence most, sister.”

Celestia stepped forward and stood alongside Luna, whose only reaction was to shift her gaze away, back toward the well of nothingness she had been fascinated with previously. Celestia wrapped a wing around Luna’s withers, but the lunar alicorn refused to acknowledge the gesture.

“Something is troubling you, Luna,” Celestia said, in her best soothing tone of voice. “Please, let me understand what ails you, so that I may be of assistance in dispelling it.”

Luna sighed. “It is nothing you can dispel, Celestia,” she replied, slumping a bit. “Now, please, leave me be.”

Celestia shook her head. “Not until I am made privy to whatever ails you, sister,” she replied with conviction. “Let me be the judge as to whether or not I can be of assistance.”

Luna stared up at Celestia with a frustrated expression, while Celestia returned her own, resolute one. She tightened her hold a little bit, out of instinct, though, she was confident Luna would be unable to escape from her regardless.

Eventually, Luna relented. Looking downcast, she began her explanation.

“I trust you remember, when we first came to power, how I wished to aid in your campaign of befriending our subjects?”

Celestia nodded. “Indeed I do,” she replied. “I still remember the morning after you first cast your dreamwalking spell.” She smiled. “You were very elated while describing your first experience exploring the dreamscape.”

A small smile tugged at Luna’s lips. “Indeed, it was the most wondrous experience I had felt up until then. However, my happiness was due more in part to all the ponies’ dreams I visited, and becoming acquainted with them as a result.” Her smile fell away, replaced by a solemn expression. “But no longer do I feel such joy when traversing the dreamscape.”

“And why is that?” Celestia asked.

“You must also remember that I took it upon myself to vanquish any and all night terrors I came across during my travels—”

The one task which no other pony is capable of performing, which Our subjects seem to not realize.

“—However, within the past year or so, the number of night terrors I encounter during my dreamscape travels has shrunk to a mere fraction of what it once was.” Luna sighed, and looked downward with a depressed frown. “I have yet to vanquish even a single night terror this week⋯”

Celestia was silent for a moment as Luna’s words registered in her mind. Then a small, open-mouthed smile spread across her lips and she nuzzled Luna, much to the lunar alicorn’s surprise, and slight embarrassment.

“Er, Celestia?” she said, confused.

“There is no need to feel sad about this, sister,” Celestia replied. She brought her head away from Luna’s face and smiled down at her. “The fact that night terrors have become ever more fleeting means you have excelled in your task of reassuring ponies during the nighttime to an unfathomable degree.” She leaned in and quickly nuzzled her sister again before she could object. “This is no cause for depression, Luna, so why do you feel so?”

Luna cast an annoyed glare at Celestia while rubbing the spot on her face where she nuzzled her. “It saddens me because my time traversing the dreamscape every night has become needless as a result. No longer may I use my power to slay horrors which create unrest for sleeping ponies, which, aside from raising and lowering the moon, was my only contribution to our shared rule of Equestria. With it gone, I feel more useless than ever.” She sagged her withers, out of Celestia’s wing’s hold, and sighed deeply.

Celestia only subconsciously retracted her wing as she stared down at her sister’s sulking form. Words failed to escape her lips as a pensive frown crossed them in response to seeing Luna in such a state.

A long silence stretched between them, broken only by the constant chatter from everypony in the room, as both sisters remained unmoving, minus their free-flowing manes and tails, like statues. Celestia stared at her sister with a sorrowful gaze, mixed with a hint of pity, as she once again processed Luna’s words. When she finished this time, instead of smiling, a single tear ran down Celestia’s cheek as she spoke up.

“Luna, why did you never tell me, or anypony else, this before?” she asked, choking back a sob. “All this pent-up frustration has been eating away at your heart, leaving you spiritually crippled and downtrodden. You say this has been the case for a year, even?”

“‘Tis only a guess, since I never bothered to keep a record,” Luna replied, not meeting Celestia’s gaze.

“Regardless, you should have come to me for help,” Celestia stated with conviction. “I am your sister, and I will always be willing to help you overcome your woes, but only if you would seek my assistance can I do so.”

Luna finally stared up at Celestia again. “We are grown mares, sister, so it stands to reason I shouldst find a solution by my lonesome,” she stated, also with conviction. A small smile crossed her lips. “But, I do feel less downtrodden now, so thank you for making me share my woes.”

Celestia’s smile widened. “‘Tis an older sister’s job, is it not?” She laughed, then her smile turned wistful. “I understand your reasoning, Luna, and I shall leave you to find a new purpose, but remember that I will always come to your aid when called upon. Of that, you can guarantee.”

“Thank you, sister,” Luna replied. She turned toward the dining room entrance. “I shall go and do so now, as a matter of fact. If anypony needs me, tell them I am in my bedchambers, pondering.”

“Of course,” Celestia said with a nod. “My best wishes to you, Luna.”

Luna waved Celestia goodbye before heading toward the double doors. On her way out, she passed by Emerald and Melody Wind, along with Summer Scape, who were deeply rooted in conversation. Emerald, however, was spending less time chatting than she was leaning against the wall, staring idly up at the ceiling while thinking to herself.

“Then I told her, ‘Emerald can outshine your own daughter in choir whenever you so choose!’,” Melody said, giving a hearty laugh as she gripped her chest. “The poor sod ended up regretting her challenge, for sure!”

Summer Scape gave a light chuckle in response, but secretly she found nothing particularly humorous about Melody’s story. Indeed, she was a little off-put by how boastful the unicorn was in regards to her daughter, but did a sufficient job of keeping it from showing in her features.

“Well,” she said, shaking her head, “I shan’t deny your daughter’s extraordinary musical talent, even if I have yet to hear any of it firsthoof.” She perked up a bit, then looked over Melody’s shoulder to Emerald. “But perhaps I could be made privy to a piece or two once the festivities conclude?”

Emerald turned to Summer, and was about to respond, before Melody practically shouted, “Oh, yes indeed! In fact, everypony should have a chance to hear why my daughter is the greatest musician in all of-”

Melody paused as a sensation began building up in her nostrils. Turning her head away from Summer toward the wall, she proceeded to sneeze into her dress sleeve. Pulling her head away from it revealed a gooey mess of phlegm trailing between her muzzle and the dress.

“Ugh,” she groaned, then wiped the mess off on her dress. “This dress will need a good washing once we return home.”

Summer Scape frowned. “Are you feeling well, Melody?” she asked, genuinely concerned for the other mare.

Melody sniffed, and waved a dismissive hoof. “‘Tis a common cold,” she replied. “Nothing of concern.” She smiled. “So, a concert, yes?”

Summer Scape stared blankly for a bit, then smiled and looked to Emerald, who began nervously scuffing her hoof across the stone floor.

“Um, p-perhaps you c-could perform instead, mother?” she asked, shakily. “After all, you told me the princesses enjoyed your music when you last played for them.”

“Indeed they did,” Melody replied, briefly smiling before a stern frown crossed her muzzle. “However, they deserve to hear the fruits of thy talent today, and, rude as he is, Sol- er, Prince Solis wouldst appreciate a fine, lyric-less tune on his birthday.”

Emerald sheepishly rubbed the back of her head, wryly gritting her teeth. “Playing for the entire staff of Everfree Castle is quite a tall order, mother . . .”

“Nonsense, dear,” Melody replied, reaching over and patting Emerald on the back. “‘Tis no different from playing for the choir back up in Canterlot.” She then gave Emerald a small nudge toward the exit. “Now run along and fetch thy flute from our guest room. I shall have everypony ready to listen upon thy return.”

Emerald hesitated for a moment, legs rooted to the ground as she turned to glance at all the assembled ponies in the dining room. There were at least a few dozen, all chatting animatedly with each other, paying her no attention.

And yet, Emerald felt as if their collective spirits were boring through her own, scrutinizing it, judging its stature. The entire room seemed to take on a fish-eye perspective as Emerald felt her heartbeat increase, to the point where she could actually feel it pounding in her chest. Her vision began blurring, distorting the ponies throughout the room, transforming them into twisted, almost monstrous, parodies of their actual selves.

A sense of nausea fell over Emerald, coupled with a sudden lance of pain that shot through her head, and she clutched at her head with a fore hoof, grimacing as she fought to keep from crying out in anguish.

“Emerald!? Emerald!” Melody cried out. “Art thou all right?”

Emerald gave no response, instead she just clutched her head even tighter. A low moan of agony escaped through her lips, and she began swaying slightly.

“Emerald, calm down,” Summer said. She took a step toward the young unicorn, fore hoof held out placatingly. “Just relax, and I can-”

“AAAAAAHHHHHH!”

The sudden cry from Emerald instantly attracted everypony’s collective attention to her. Summer Scape reeled back in surprise from the outburst, and Melody stood stock still in horrified confusion as she watched Emerald begin wheezing like a torture victim.

Everypony in the room, previously conversing with each other over meager things, now whispered with one another over the commotion occurring at the front of the room, all of them watching the commotion with looks of either concern, confusion, or annoyance. Princess Celestia and Prince Solis, especially, watched with apprehension as Emerald swung her head around the room, staring at each and every pony with wide, dilated eyes which gave the impression she was staring into the jaws of death itself. Seeing one of her little ponies in such a state tugged at Celestia’s heartstrings, while Solis was more curious than anything else what was happening to Emerald, and the expression he wore behind his mask reflected this.

What could be wrong with her? he wondered.

Emerald spent the next few moments convulsing while standing before dashing out the double doors into the castle hallway, quickly disappearing from sight and leaving everypony in the room utterly speechless. The only sound then was Emerald’s distant, retreating hoofsteps, which eventually faded from earshot, leaving the room completely silent.

That silence was eventually broken by Melody, who snapped from her shock and yelled, “Emerald!”, before dashing to the double doors herself, and disappearing into the hall as well.

Everypony else in the room gradually began recovering from their shock as well. Whispers quickly permeated the dining room, carrying sentiments of concern, curiosity, and even disgust between ponies. In the middle of it all, Princess Celestia and Prince Solis only continued staring at the double doors, a pained grimace etched into the former’s features, while the latter’s mask hid an expression that combined pity and intrigue.

Eventually, Celestia turned to Solis, and said in an apologetic tone, “My sincerest apologies, Solis.”

The crimson alicorn returned her gaze, tilting his head in curiosity. ‘What for?” he asked.

“The festivities were going so smoothly, and, for once, I could see your happiness in full bloom.” She sighed, and hung her head, shamefully. “If this little incident hath ruined thy enjoyment, I am the one who invited Miss Melody and Emerald to the festivities, so it is I who must apologize to you.”

Solis stared blankly for a moment, then snorted. “Mother, you need not take the blame for this,” he said. “Even with limited foresight, I am quite confident this was impossible to predict.” He shrugged. “This does little to bother me, anyway. Truthfully, I am more interested in what is wrong with Emerald than in reprimanding her for her outburst.”

Celestia lifted her gaze back to Solis, a small smile crossing her muzzle. “Thank you, son,” she said. Solis returned her smile, but realized Celestia was unable to see it, so he used his magic to lift his mask up enough that she could.

A moment later, the sound of hoofsteps began emanating from outside the door in the hall. They quickly approached the dining hall’s double doors, and the sweaty, panicked form of Melody came rushing in, panting heavily.

“Emerald⋯is⋯missing,” she wheezed between gasps.

Immediately, everypony in the room was alert and at attention. All the guards stood rigid and stiff, awaiting orders to locate the missing mare, while all the maids gasped and held their hooves up to their mouths.

Melody waited to catch her breath before continuing. “I was sure she went back to our guest room, but when I went to check, it was empty.” A deep feeling of dread washed over Melody as horrible thoughts of what could happen to her daughter played through her mind, one after another, each one worse than the last.

“Melody, please stay calm,” Summer Scape said. The earth pony approached the unicorn, then knelt down and clutched her cheeks with her fore hooves, bringing her gaze up to look into Summer’s reassuring, and resolute, eyes. “Emerald will be fine, nothing in this castle shall harm her, and we will find her.”

“Indeed we shall,” Celestia spoke up, attracting everypony’s collective attention.

She turned to Captain Tricolt, giving a slight nod, which her guard captain responded with one in kind, and spoke up.

“All guards, front and center!” he shouted.

Every single guard in the room, solar and lunar alike, quickly assembled in front of him, in four rows of seven each. Their faces went stoic as they awaited their orders.

“Find Miss Emerald Wind and escort her back here, unharmed. If she refuses, send somepony to fetch the princess while keeping her under watch.” Tricolt then began gesturing to each row, one at a time, while designating their respective search areas. “Row one, search the west wing. Row two, the east wing. Row three, check the dungeon. And row four, head outside and search around the castle’s perimeter. Am I understood?”

“Sir, yes, sir!” they all shouted simultaneously.

“Good, now move out, and be diligent!”

The guards began making their way outside, single file, while everypony else watched with anxious expressions. Melody, especially, was on the verge of tears, while Summer Scape stayed at her side, doing her best to comfort the distraught unicorn mother. Meanwhile, Celestia and Solis watched the guards march outside, the former wearing a confident smile, while the latter’s mask hid a worryful expression.

“Mother?” Solis said.

Celestia turned to him. “Yes, my son?”

“I shall join the search as well.”

Celestia’s eyes widened, and her muzzle fell into a quizzical frown. “Truly? What for?”

“I wish to assure Emerald that her outburst has done nothing to bother me, and that my birthday celebration is far from ruined,” Solis explained. He returned her gaze. “That, and Tricolt failed to account for one place in the castle.”

Celestia tilted her head in confusion. “What place is that?”


Everfree Castle was bustling with activity all throughout as the combined solar and lunar guards combed through every nook and cranny of their designated search areas. They moved swiftly and efficiently, leaving no corner unsearched or table unturned, fully intent on locating Emerald Wind and bringing her back to Melody. And yet, in spite of their efforts, the young mare was nowhere to be found wherever they searched.

While both the grounds outside and the main areas inside the castle were a flurry of motion from the guards, the inner courtyard housed a single figure, on the upper walkway, staring out the window into the beautiful, moonlit sky.

Emerald watched with half-interest as stars, of both the regular and shooting variety, decorated the night sky, while the glowing white orb that was Luna’s moon hung silently alongside them, standing out brilliantly amongst the sparkling nightscape. She rested her chin on her fore legs, folded on the windowsill, while relishing the occasional gentle breeze which blew in from outside and through her mane, but it was unable to dispel the pained frown her face wore.

You are a horrible mother, Melody. I refuse to play for everypony just to make you look better than you truly are. You pride yourself in having raised an exceptionally gifted music talent, but your daughter is hardly fit to play for royalty! Did you ever once consider that, perhaps, I was happy just playing for the citizens of Canterlot, along with the occasional traveler searching for a good venue of entertainment?

Of course not, because you cannot care any less for my feelings, or my preferences. I may be only thirteen years of age, but I am not your puppet! I do not desire recognition from the princesses, and just because you do does not give you the right to use me to further your own aspirations for grandeur and influence!

A few tears trickled down Emerald’s face, the tiny splashes they made upon contact with the windowsill barely audible to her ears. Emerald’s entire body tensed up as she gritted her teeth, trying to stave off the feelings of anguish welling up inside her, threatening to release via another scream of despair. She slumped to the floor, in turn ripping her dress on the windowsill’s stone patchwork, and curled up into a ball, burying her head in her fore hooves as she tried to stem the rising tide of tears.

Suddenly, the sound of hoofsteps reached her ears, and Emerald shot up with a start. She frantically looked to either side of the walkway, desperately trying to find the source so she could run the opposite way. The hoofsteps got closer, ringing louder in Emerald’s ears as they did so, slowly filling her with dread at the thought of being found.

“Emerald!?” called a voice, one which she recognized.

Prince Solis? What is he doing here? she thought.

“Emerald!? If thou art here, please respond!” Solis called again. “Do not be alarmed, I merely wish to speak with thee!”

Emerald quietly scooted over to the railing, and peeked over the side. Down below, she saw Prince Solis, alone, looking through one of the east archways. Out of his eye’s corner, however, he spotted Emerald, and Solis turned to face her fully. Behind his mask, he smiled, and gave her a wave.

Emerald did nothing in response. She merely stood there, staring blankly back down at him, all while trying to comprehend what Solis was doing there alone. The thought of it being a trap suddenly occurred to her, and she listened for more hoofsteps approaching from the east wing, but heard nothing.

“May I speak with thee?” Solis asked again.

Emerald blinked once, then sheepishly rubbed her neck’s back. “You⋯may?”

“Excellent!” Solis beamed. He began heading through the archway. “Stay where you are! I shan’t be long!”

Emerald watched as Solis disappeared through the archway, and began waiting for him to arrive. While she waited, the thought of leaving to find another hiding place fought for dominance against the belief that Solis was being genuine, that he really just wanted to talk. The oddity of seeing him out searching for her by his lonesome was enough to convince Emerald to stay where she was.

Eventually, Solis rounded the corner, and began approaching her from along the walkway. “I imagined thou wouldst hide here,” he said amusedly. “Since it is so expansive, it makes sense nopony would think to check here.”

Emerald scuffed a hoof across the stone, averting her eyes from his own, despite his mask blocking it. “I refuse to go back,” she stated, sounding not the least bit confident or assertive.

“I never intended to bring thee back to everypony, at least not until I have gleamed a few things from thee.” Solis sat down and gestured for Emerald to do the same, which she did so after a moment of hesitation. “Now, please, tell me exactly what happened earlier.”

Emerald shifted nervously, looking downcast. “I⋯well⋯” She trailed off.

“I want to help,” Solis assured her. Scooting closer, he wrapped a wing around Emerald’s withers, eliciting a small gasp from her. “Do not think I will frivolously share whatever thou sayest with anypony. Whatever thou would reveal to me, I promise to keep a secret between us, along with anypony else that thou deem trustworthy.”

Emerald wanted to say no, that she would not share anything with Solis, but his words sounded wholly genuine to her ears. This, coupled with the warmth she felt creeping throughout her body, stemming from the fact that a colt was touching her in a compassionate manner, and Emerald found her guard slowly shrinking the longer the silence between them stretched.

Eventually, it disappeared entirely, and she sighed before giving her answer. “My mother suggested, nay, demanded that I play my flute for everypony.” She fidgeted a little. “Playing for royalty is a far cry from performing for acquaintances and the like. I am unfit to play music for somepony of such high stature, and my mother is too caught up in her self-pride to see that.” She capped off her explanation by shamefully hanging her head, choking back a sob.

Solis regarded her with curiosity as he mulled over her answer for a moment. “Why dost thou believe thou are unfit to perform for royalty?” he asked, earning Emerald’s attention, the unicorn trying to hold back more tears. “Even if thy mother is overestimating thy talent, playing an unofficial concert for the princesses is no cause for alarm. Thou wouldst be doing it entirely out of the generosity of thy heart, so the princesses would have no reason to berate thee if thy playing was subpar to their tastes. The same holds true for me as well.”

Emerald sniffed, and wiped her muzzle with her dress. “Truly? They would not?” she asked.

“The princesses are not the type to take offense so easily, Emerald,” Solis said, tightening his grip on her a little. “If such were the case, I doubt Celestia would have bothered to adopt me at all.”

Emerald’s eyes widened like dinnerplates. Solis chuckled at the sight of her so shocked, and retracted his wing from her.

“I was a very different pony five years ago,” he continued. “To put it simply, I was a problem child to the highest degree. No respect for my elders, not a care for the ponies around me, and I would violently lash out at anypony who gave me enough grief.” He chuckled darkly. “Princess Celestia bore witness to all three faults, and yet, in spite of it all, she adopted me anyway.”

Emerald’s mouth hung open in utter amazement at what she was told. Her mind had received enough of a shock that it was no longer able to send signals to her eyes calling for tears. She just sat there, utterly transfixed by Solis’ words, unable to form a response, coherent or otherwise.

Noticing this, Solis gently poked her cheek with his hoof, to which she slowly recovered from her stupor.

“Amazing,” she whispered.

“Perhaps thou art ready to return?” Solis suggested, beginning to stand up. “We couldst fetch thy flute on the way back. I would love to hear a piece from thee, as long as thou keepest from singing.”

Emerald paused, then looked downcast. “Cou-couldst we stay here for a little while longer?” she asked. “I-if it is okay with you, that is.”

Solis considered for a moment, then sat back down and nodded. “Very well,” he replied.

Emerald smiled, then thought about what Solis had just said. “My mother told me about what happened a few years ago, how you refused to listen to her singing while playing for the princesses,” she said. “Why do you have such an ill repute for singing?”

Solis stared blankly at her, surprised to hear the question. That surprise gave way to annoyance as he let out a low growl, which caused Emerald to flinch in surprise.

“Asking such personal questions is foolhardy, Emerald,” he said, retracting his wing. “Thou wouldst do best to refrain from asking such again.”

Despite his gaze being masked, Emerald wilted under the intensity she felt emanating from him. “I apologize, your highness,” she said, a guilty expression crossing her muzzle.

Solis relaxed his anger upon seeing Emerald’s guilt, and how she seemed to draw back into herself. Realizing he was being counterproductive to his goal of helping Emerald, Solis decided to answer her question.

“Truthfully, I cannot explain why I hate it so much.” He folded his fore legs and laid his head upon them, his mask lifting up slightly as a result, revealing his mouth. “Far back as I canst recollect, acts of singing hath filled me with dread to the highest degree. I am oblivious to whatever reason for this there is, and, truthfully, every attempt I have made to find an answer hast ended in naught but frustration.” He sighed, and dipped his head lower, further slipping off his mask.

Emerald stared at Solis in confusion, as his behavior was very uncharacteristic for a prince. Then his words began sinking into her mind, and Emerald’s confusion turned into pity for Solis.

It became clear to her that Solis, despite being Princess Celestia’s adopted son, and having all the benefits such a position would entail having, still had a modicum of unhappiness in his heart. Music, and especially singing, in Emerald’s opinion, was the most beautiful thing ponykind had ever created. For there to be a pony who found despair instead of joy in hearing a string of words sung in harmony, was heart wrenching to Emerald.

“It must be painful to know that what you find distaste for is one of the greatest treasures ponykind holds dear to itself,” she said. She looked aside herself in pity, having found it unbearable to watch Solis, a new royal figure, in such a state of misery. “And yet, everything you do treasure is what I have utter distaste for.”

Solis lifted his head back up, his mask sliding back into its proper place, but coming loose a bit, and gave her a curious expression from behind it. “What dost thou mean?” he asked.

Emerald returned her gaze to him. “You made your approval of Princess Celestia’s treatment of you very clear, but I could never say the same for my own mother.” She sighed. “My mother has done nothing but impose her rule upon me like a tyrant for so long, controlling every single facet of my life, all so she can groom me into becoming her financer for when she grows old and is unable to support herself, let alone both of us.”

Solis quirked an eyebrow. “And what of thy father?” he asked. “What role dost he play in your family’s life?”

Emerald grimaced, then resumed her rageful expression, and turned away from him. “My father is dead, Solis,” she said, her tone one of hurt.

“Really!?” Solis sounded quite shocked. “Oh, my sincerest apologies, Emerald!”

Emerald said nothing in response, merely waving him off before gesturing down into the courtyard; specifically, at Discord’s statue.

“My father died from one of that monster’s chaotic machinations,” she explained, her tone now mixed with both anger and hurt. “My father alone named me, since my mother was passed out after birthing me, and now she wants me to change that name to one which she approves of.” Emerald stomped a hoof, sending a loud clop echoing throughout the courtyard, as tears resumed falling from her eyes. “How could she disregard him so easily⋯?”

Solis watched as Emerald broke down into tears once again, curling herself up on the floor and sobbing uncontrollably with her hooves pressed hard against her eyes, which did nothing to stem the tide of tears falling to the floor. Emerald had essentially denounced her mother as unloving, and, while that may or may not have been true, Solis found the raw, emotional outpour she was giving off to be strikingly familiar.

“⋯⋯Thou art not alone.”

Emerald heard Solis’ words, but did and said nothing in response while she continued to cry. The sheer volume of her tears was almost strong enough to be an actual stream as it trickled at great speed down her face, coalescing into a large puddle around her on the floor. When she finally stopped crying, Emerald shifted her placement out of her puddle of tears.

“What did you say?” she asked, wiping away one last tear.

“I said ‘thou art not alone’,” he repeated, “by which I mean, I know what it feels like to be raised by a rotten parent.” He sighed, and once again lay down on the floor with his head rested in his fore legs, again slipping his mask off to reveal his muzzle. “Before being taken in by Happy Heart at the orphanage where Celestia and I met, I lived alone with my own father after my mother died giving birth to me.” Emerald let out a small gasp. “My father hated me for that reason, and never once let me believe otherwise.” He sighed, and tilted his head to one side. “Truthfully, I sometimes wonder why he even bothered letting me live.”

Emerald sniffed, and moved closer to Solis. “Oh, your highness—”

“Just ‘Solis’ is fine.”

“Of course, yo- err, Solis.” Emerald closed the distance between them and placed a hoof over his own, to which he quirked an eyebrow at the brazen gesture, but said nothing in response. “Nopony should be made to suffer like you have.”

The corner of Solis’ mouth lifted into a smile. “Like both of us have,” he said softly.

A smile crossed Emerald’s muzzle as well, and she began subconsciously stroking Solis’ hoof with her own. Solis said nothing to object, finding the gesture to be comforting, but he still found Emerald’s sudden brazenness to be quite an enigma.

The two of them laid there for what might felt like hours, but was really only a few minutes, during which time not a single pony passed through the courtyard below, or the walkway they shared. All that interrupted the silence of the courtyard were a few gentle breezes that came in through the window above their heads, and both ponies savored the nice, soothing feeling the cool night air gave as it blew through their manes.

“How is it that not a single guard has found us by now?” Emerald asked, breaking the silence.

Solis chuckled. “Captain Tricolt needs to better emphasize the importance of being thorough in one’s search to the guards.” He lifted his head up to meet Emerald’s gaze. “Wouldst thou like to return now?”

Emerald shied under his gaze, and scuffed a hoof. “Would it be too much to ask for a little more time together?” she asked, looking at him with wide, pleading eyes.

Solis’ heart melted at the sight. “Very well, but only for a short while,” he replied. He turned his head toward the entrance behind him. “We must—”

Solis stopped short as, right when he turned around, the momentum caused his mask to fly off his face. Both he and Emerald watched as it sailed through the air, then impacted the ground with a loud crash sending pieces of brown ceramic down the hallway in a conical pattern.

Silence reigned for a few seconds. Both ponies sat stock still, eyes focused on the scattered pieces of Solis mask. Solis had his head turned away from Emerald so his face was hidden from her, and even after his brain unscrambled itself he still held his position, knowing his face was exposed now for her to see.

“Um, Solis?” Emerald said, to which the alicorn nervously bit his lip. “Are you all right?”

Solis gulped, his forehead beginning to sweat as he turned around to face her. “O-of c-c-course,” he stuttered, smiling nervously.

Emerald tilted her head curiously, confused over Solis’ sudden change in behavior. Then she remembered something from earlier, back in the dining hall.

“I remember you were hesitant to show your face to me earlier, and you had Celestia give you your mask.” Emerald frowned. “Why is this?”

Solis’ lips trembled, and the sweat began trickling down his forehead, getting into his eyes. Finally, he sighed, and replied while using a hoof to rub his eyes clean.

“It is for nothing against you personally, Emerald, I promise you that.” He gave a forlorn glance back to his shattered mask as he continued. “My father was not the sole source of my discontent in my childhood. My peers would constantly berate and taunt me for my horrid facial features, even while living at Happy Heart’s orphanage.” A hint of a smirk briefly crossed his features. “By any chance, do you know of the hydra sisters?”

“You mean Misty, Aqualung, and Droplet? Yes, I do know them.” Emerald deadpanned. “A spoiled rotten bunch of fillies, they are. I take it they treated you like dirt as well?”

Solis chuckled darkly. “The very day I was adopted I had smashed Misty’s face in, which Celestia bore witness to even.”

Emerald’s eyes widened considerably. “Truly?”

Solis nodded. “I thought for sure she would leave me at the orphanage after that, but instead, she saw my violent behavior as all the more reason to adopt me.” He settled into a more relaxed position. “Celestia is probably the only pony alive who would have done so.”

Emerald nodded. “I have no doubt about that.”

“The mask was a gift from her, made so I could accompany Celestia on her various travels throughout Equestria without the fear of being judged unfairly because of my face.” He sighed heavily. “Since I know all of the castle staff so well, I never need to wear it around them. When outsiders visit, however, well⋯”

“I understand perfectly,” Emerald said, nodding slightly. “It only makes sense to be afraid of unfair judgment from somepony you hardly know.” A small smile crossed her muzzle. “But, perhaps we know each other well enough that you shan’t need the mask, at least for me?”

Solis mulled over the question for a moment, before looking up to her with his own smile. “Yes, I suppose I shan’t,” he replied.

“Thank you, Solis,” Emerald replied back, almost as a whisper.

“So, thy mother wishes for you to adopt a new name?” he asked. “For what reason?”

“She has the belief that having a name to match one’s Soul is of great importance,” Emerald replied with a snort. “The whole idea is ludicrous, but she will not listen to anything other than her own delusions, so I am forced to think of a new name for myself to please her.”

“‘Tis a shame, for emeralds are a very lovely gem,” Solis mused, earning a blush on Emerald’s cheeks, and a bashful expression on her face, to which he chuckled. “I give you my best wishes the name situation works itself out somehow.”

“I hope it does too,” Emerald said, before perking up a bit. “And I give you my best wishes that your irrational hatred of singing is resolved.”

Solis snorted. “It shall take more than a few abstract hopes to make my hatred just ‘disappear’.”

A sly smirk crossed Emerald’s muzzle, and Solis felt a slight chill run down his spine upon seeing how disturbing such an expression made her face look.

“Perhaps we shouldst make a wager on whether or not I canst do just that?” she cooed, her voice taking on a teasing, mischievous vibe. “Leave it to me to write a song which you not only approve of, but shall cherish for the rest of your days, and beg me to sing for you every time we meet.”

Solis’ mind was abuzz following Emerald’s bold proclamation. What prompted her to make such a statement? Why was she suddenly so fixated on ridding him of his hatred for singing? Moreover, at the forefront of his mind, Solis was questioning where the timid, underconfident mare he had first found here in the courtyard had gone? Gradually, these questions faded away as the realization that Emerald was awaiting his response dawned on him.

“Um, well—” Solis stuttered, still off-put by Emerald’s sly demeanor, “—if thou canst achieve such a feat, I see no reason to deny thee a chance.” He shrugged. “I shall be fine with or without an appreciation for sung lyrics, regardless.”

Emerald giggled. “I shall make a music connoisseur out of you yet, your highness,” she declared in a playful tone.

“The anticipation shall kill me before thou canst succeed,” Solis replied in the same tone of voice, while rolling his eyes.

He then stood up, taking a moment to stretch his legs and wings before saying, “We shouldst return now, and hope everypony hast not grown too worried for thee.”

Emerald nodded sagely, and stood up herself. “I feel ready to face my mother’s ire,” she said.

“That is good.” Solis gestured to the scattered pieces of his mask. “Wouldst thou care to help me clean up before we return?”

Emerald smiled. “Of course, Solis.”

Nodding, Solis began heading over to his mask.

“Solis?”

He turned around. “Yes?”

Emerald scuffed a hoof as another bashful smile grew from the corners of her mouth, complete with the same blush as before too. “Thanks for being here for me.”

Solis stared blank for a second, then smiled himself. “Thou art welcome, Emerald,” he replied, trying to match the same levels of soothing and serenity that Celestia exuded whenever she wanted to thank him for something.

“Well, let us get a move on now, shall we?” Solis resumed walking towards the shattered fragments of his mask.

With a final nod of understanding, Emerald followed right behind him, the soothing warmth in her belly dying down, only to be replaced by a sudden rush of cold wind from the window, making her shiver slightly in surprise.

Hmm⋯yes, that might work.


The section of castle in which Princess Luna’s bedchambers sat was far removed from the dining room, to which a soothing silence hung in the air, broken only by the periodic chirping of crickets from outside. Then a set of hoofsteps began ringing outside in the hall, growing in volume as they approached, until they eventually stopped outside the door. The door was enveloped in a blue magical aura, and Luna quickly slipped inside, gently shutting the door closed behind her.

Luna took a moment to examine her room, making sure nothing was lost or misplaced, before she silently trudged to her bed and plopped down upon it in a very casual manner, a soft groan escaping her lips as she settled into the soft, silky embrace of her sheets. Luna spent a while just lying there, feeling too mentally exhausted to do anything else, having spent a lot of time otherwise used for sleeping attending Solis’ birthday celebration.

The thought of her adopted nephew’s ascension was quick to come to her mind’s forefront. Luna was unsure what to think about the fact that Solis, once a common, everyday earth pony, had been bestowed the title of prince, along with all of the power which had previously been reserved for her and Celestia. She truly did believe he would be a just ruler alongside the two of them, but while she had forgiven Celestia for acting without consulting her, the entire situation still managed to irk her.

Of course she chose to ascend him, because she cannot rely on a pony who sleeps during the day, when everypony comes to us for aid.

Luna spent a while lounging on her bed, thinking about all the recent big changes, before deciding to check the dreamscape for night terrors, hoping with all her heart there was at least one for her to vanquish.

Luna’s horn lit up in a midnight blue aura as she cast her dreamwalking spell on herself. Closing her eyes for a brief moment, a brilliant white light shone from them that obscured their defining features, giving them a blank, lifeless appearance. A series of pulses vibrated across their surface, indicating Luna’s presence in the dreamscape.

The blue alicorn gazed upon the vast expanse of stars before her, each one representing someone’s dream, set against a black background of empty space. Each one twinkled with a shine splendid enough to rival even the actual stars of space, and Luna had come to appreciate this aspect of the dreamscape the most in all her time spent within it.

But now that appreciation was overshadowed by her desire to see even a single night terror. She began walking among the dreams, keeping her senses primed in search of a star that radiated negative energy, the telltale sign of night terrors. She spent an hour of real time searching all throughout the dreamscape for one, even contemplating searching beyond Equestria’s borders at one point, but dismissed the idea upon realizing it would be both ill-advised and time-consuming.

Luna found no night terrors by the time she had covered the entire square area of the dreamscape. Saddened and downtrodden, she undid the spell, her eyes opening to the sight of her bed chambers once again. She lay on her bed and folded her hooves together, resting her head in them as she silently mourned for her favorite pastime.

I suppose everypony has grown less fearful as a direct result of Our rule. So reassured they are that their dreams no longer reflect the fear and uncertainty they once held for the world.

Celestia sees our subjects more often than I do, so how can I be at all responsible for their newfound reassurance?

Luna slumped even further into the bed, subconsciously tracing little circles into her bedspread as she lost herself even further in her thoughts, all the while a scowl slowly crossed her muzzle.

Celestia has held more clout in our shared rule of Equestria. Meanwhile, all I was capable of doing was standing watch over our subjects’ dreams, and now even that purpose has been stripped away from me by fate’s cruel dealings. What a burden it is being nocturnal.

Really, there is nothing else I can hope to do. Ponies sleep at night, so they cannot even take the time to appreciate the one thing that still gives me purpose: the nighttime sky.

Am I even needed? Celestia has ruled Equestria almost by her lonesome for the past five years, and Solis has learned so much that he could easily replace me on that front.

Luna stomped a hoof in frustration against the bed’s headboard, making an appropriately-sized dent in the wood as a result, but she paid it no mind. Tears threatened to spill from her cheeks as her scowl hardened and a small grunt of despair escaped her lips. Luna fell onto the bed again, hooves splayed about and muzzle buried firmly in her pillow. Her tears let loose and quickly stained the pillow while her muffled sobs emanated from it.

Is that truly my future? The forgotten mistress of the night and dreams, left to guard her dominion forever alone?

. . . No, that is Luna’s future.

A sliver of light from the ascending moon shone through the window as Luna lifted her head up. It trailed across the room and over the bed, running over Luna’s face and highlighting her eyes, revealing a newfound sense of clarity through the glimmering moisture of her tears.

”I will not be forgotten.”