• Published 4th Dec 2013
  • 1,711 Views, 40 Comments

Malefic Bonds - Razalon The Lizardman



Evil is never inherited; it's created from the despairs suffered by loss of love, purpose, and hope. When evil arises, villains are born and subsequently defeated, in turn giving rise to new ones in a never-ending cycle . . . until now.

  • ...
3
 40
 1,711

Adopted Sun (Part 1)

Of every settlement throughout Equestria, the city of Canterlot was undeniably the most grand as well as the most significant to the country’s history. Built along the tall and imposing Canterhorn, Canterlot was originally the site of Princess Platinum’s settlement of Unicornia. After the Windigoes’ defeat, the six companions agreed to rename the mountain-bound city to be ambiguous in regards to tribal affiliations, though the city always remained unicorn-centric.

Times were especially hard for those living in Canterlot during Discord’s rule, as the mountain-bound city was a favorite target of the draconequus’ chaos. Thankfully, safe haven could be found in the crystal caves underneath the city whenever things became too unbearable for everypony, assuming the greedy nobles who owned them could be convinced nopony would steal any crystals.

Now that the mad draconequus had been cast down and imprisoned, the denizens of Canterlot could rejoice in the comfort of their newfound harmony. At the same time, however, they could not help but speculate as to the nature of the beings that had saved them. The ‘battle’ which had ended in Discord’s defeat had indeed been witnessed by Canterlot’s inhabitants, and while they had sighted the ponies which brought down the draconequus not much was known of them aside from their general, and highly unusual, appearance of two mares with both the wings of a pegasus and the horn of a unicorn. Such knowledge only heightened their curiosity regarding their liberators’ identities, but it would not be long before they received answers to their questions.

A week or so after Discord’s chaos was eradicated from Equestria, early in the morning the citizens of Canterlot spotted an object flying through the sky toward the Canterhorn. It first appeared as an unidentifiable dot above the horizon which gradually grew in size until, eventually, it became clear to everypony that what they were watching was a chariot similar to the ones used by Ancient Pegasopolian gladiators, it’s color golden like the early morning sun’s rays that it reflected. As it neared the Canterhorn, they saw that it was being pulled by four pegasus stallions with identical white coats and golden armor which matched that of the chariot they pulled. Sitting in the passenger seat of the rich carriage was another golden armored stallion, though a unicorn instead of a pegasus and with a dark brown coat rather than snow white. Wrapped around his shoulder was a brown saddlebag.

The golden chariot descended upon Canterlot, to which ponies in the streets ran aside to make way for it. They watched in awe as the pegasi touched down on the street and galloped along with the chariot’s wheels making contact soon after, following them until they came to a stop in front of the marketplace.

Immediately, the unicorn stallion stood up straight on the carriage and cleared his throat before speaking loud and clear to the dozens of ponies that watched the display with interest.

“Hear ye! Hear ye! A message from Equestria’s liberators hath been issued to everypony in this fair country! Please, gather all who dwell within the grand city of Canterlot and have them congregate here at once!”

Nothing more needed to be said. Within the next ten minutes, every stallion, mare, and foal of Canterlot was amassed around the golden chariot, eager grins plastered upon their faces in anticipation of what their saviors had to say. The unicorn stallion waited until he was sure everypony was present before levitating a scroll out of his saddlebag and opening it.

“Their message is as follows,” he said, and began reading.


Dear citizens of Equestria,

It pleases Us to announce that the monster known as Discord has been cast down from his rule and is no longer a threat to the well-being of this fair country. From this day forth, Equestria shall be ruled by Us; Princess Celestia, commander of the sun and its day, and Princess Luna, commander of the moon and its night. Together, We shall bring about a reign of peace and prosperity in place of Discord’s chaos and unhappiness.

Sincerely, the royal pony sisters


Once the guard finished reading the message he looked to the crowd, gauging their reactions. What he saw worried him, as the bulk of the crowd wore expressions ranging from confusion to uncertainty to outright horror. They all shied away from his gaze when he glanced in their general direction, as if afraid to be judged by him. Only a few ponies looked genuinely happy to hear the news, and even they looked a tad uncertain of how they should take the news. Such a reaction was understandable by the guards, however, as they too were nervous upon learning the princess’ had solo control over the sun and moon.

Hopefully everypony shall take this glorious news in better stride over time, he mused to himself before continuing.

“We are her highness’ solar guardsponies,” he said, gesturing to himself and the pegasi whom pulled the chariot. “I am Captain Tricolt, and her highnesses have instructed us to inform every settlement throughout Equestria that this fair country hath undergone a change in governance. They have also instructed us to inform everypony that the need for more guards and hoofmaidens is high, and that anypony whom agrees to either position can expect rich compensations for them and their family.”

He let his words sink in for a few moments, during which time he noticed at least a few ponies’ expressions brighten up a bit, before continuing. “We shall remain in Canterlot ‘til tomorrow morning, at which time we must leave to continue our mission. If anypony hath any a question, from now until then is the time to ask.”

After a few seconds of silence one stallion near the front of the crowd spoke up. “What hath become of Discord?” he asked. “Is Equestria truly safe from his madness?”

Tricolt smiled. “Equestria need not worry about the mad draconequus any longer,” he confirmed. “As for what hath become of him . . .”


“So, Discord, dost thou enjoy thy new prison?” Princess Celestia asked the petrified draconequus.

Of course, the statue said nothing in return. The white alicorn could only imagine what retorts the former ruler of Equestria wished he could respond with, assuming he could even hear her at all. Celestia gave a coy smile and stood up on all fours.

“Well, We hope thou dost,” she said, beginning her exit from the castle’s inner courtyard, “because for the rest of thy life, thou willst remain nothing more than a perch for the few birds which choose to visit.”

Celestia stepped onto the stone pathway and followed it into one of the archways connecting the inner courtyard with the castle proper. She spared one last look at the draconequus’ statue before turning back and continuing onward.

Princess Celestia spent the next hour or so exploring the stone hallways of Everfree Castle, she and her sister’s new home. The decision to build the castle in the Everfree Forest was so they were always close to the Tree of Harmony. At that point the actual foundation and framework to the castle were completed, to which all that remained was decoration. Celestia pondered various aspects of this while she walked.

Hmm, a color scheme of burnt orange, red, and yellow might look best for Our side of the castle. Or maybe a color scheme matching Our mane would be more sufficient. For sure, though, a sun roof is needed in the throne room so We can raise and lower Our respective charges with clarity. For the throne itself, should We have just one with the shared design of both Our Souls, or one for each of Us? Hmmm . . .

“Your highness,” said a familiar voice.

The solar princess was brought out of her thoughts and she looked ahead to see the Captain Tricolt bowing before her with his spear clutched firmly in hoof. Celestia adopted a neutral expression and quickly closed the distance between them.

“Rise, Guard Captain,” she commanded.

The unicorn stallion did as commanded, and saluted. Celestia smiled briefly before re-adopting her neutral expression.

"Everypony is aware of Our new rule?" she asked, keeping stoic and calm.

"Indeed, your highness," Tricolt replied. "They were quite nervous upon learning their new rulers can command the sun and moon, but on the whole your rule is quite welcome."

Celestia pursed her lips at that. "We assume there were many questions regarding how We came to obtain such power?" she asked.

"Nay, your highness," Tricolt replied, smiling wistfully. "Everypony was more concerned over Discord's fate than anything having to do with you or your sister, to which I made sure to make clear that he is no longer a cause for worry."

"As he is not," Celestia replied, glancing back toward the inner courtyard. "Never again will he be a threat to this fair country."

"Indeed, your highness," Tricolt agreed.

The two then stood silent for several moments while Celestia lost herself in thought and Tricolt awaited further orders from his princess.

“Walk with Us, Captain," Celestia eventually said, and resumed her trot down the corridor.

“Yes, your highness,” Tricolt replied, and followed after the sun princess.

They spent the next few minutes leisurely walking through the castle’s hallways, Celestia continuing to visualize what designs and decorations would be best implemented into the stone structures, while Tricolt kept focus on his surroundings and his eyes peeled for any sudden flicker of movement to indicate a threat to their safety. So focused was he, in fact, that he did not realize Celestia was trying to get his attention until she stepped part way in front of him, blocking his path.

“Princess?” he asked, looking up at her.

Celestia unblocked Tricolt’s path and replied with, “We asked thee how many ponies offered their services to Us while on your mission?"

Tricolt looked up in thought for a few moments before giving a reply. "I recall around forty-five or so ponies offering to serve under you. Most were stallions asking to join the guard, though a good amount of ponies offered their services as a hoofmaiden as well."

Celestia nodded. "That number shall suffice for now," she said.

"Indeed it should, your highness," Tricolt replied.

“With that matter cleared,” Celestia continued, turning her gaze forward as they approached the entrance hall, “We are free today.”

“What will you do, your highness?” Tricolt asked, looking up at her expectantly. It would be a few days before the royal sisters were to begin proper their roles as the new diarchy of Equestria. Until then, Princess Celestia and Princess Luna were free mares.

Celestia took a minute to ponder her answer. The castle renovations would not be carried out until the following week, upon which time Celestia and Luna needed clear visions of what the castle’s interior design should look like. Celestia supposed she could spend the day continuing to mull over what she wanted her section of the castle to look like, but quickly decided against it as there were surely more productive ways of spending her time.

Perhaps it would be best to get intimately acquainted with Our subjects so they might see we are wholly benevolent and caring of their well-being. It hath been so long since the ponies of Equestria could look at their ruler in a splendid light and be proud to serve under them. Yes, to truly connect with Our subjects We must do more than take up the title of ‘princess’ over ‘queen’; We must befriend them like normal ponies would one another. Hopefully, Luna will agree that this decision shall produce the best results.

Celestia finished her inner monologue and turned her gaze down onto Captain Tricolt. In a sincere tone that betrayed no emotions, she replied to his question.

“We wish to know Our subjects.”

Tricolt arched an eyebrow in confusion, not quite understanding what Celestia meant by that. Seeing his confusion, Celestia trotted over to the pedestal which displayed the Elements of Harmony. The six gems rested upon their perches in full splendor for all those who entered the castle to see. Celestia had decided to display them in the castle’s entrance hall for two reasons. The first was so ponies could give thanks to the artifacts that brought their namesake, Harmony, back to a chaotic Equestria. The second reason was because Celestia and Luna were the only ponies capable of wielding the elements there was no need to worry about them falling into the wrong hooves.

Celestia sat down on the pedestal’s rim and gestured for Tricolt to do the same. The Guard Captain complied, quickly trotting over and taking a seat next to her highness. Both of them took a moment to say a small prayer to the Elements before returning their gaze onto each other. Celestia spoke up, her tone wistful.

“Dost thou know the truth behind Discord, Captain Tricolt?”

The Guard Captain furrowed his brow and grumbled. “His paradigm is one of what should happen when a court jester inherits the throne. With utmost honesty, your highness, just the thought of such a thing makes me sick to my stomach.”

Celestia nodded. “We do not fault thee for such a claim, as my sister and I found him to be every bit as repulsive as he was maddening.” She sighed. “Tis a shame that Equestria and its fair populace had to suffer so long under the rule of such a creature.”

“Indeed, your highness,” Tricolt replied, looking downcast.

“But We shall not become such rulers,” Celestia continued. She gazed out a window toward the sun which she commanded and smiled warmly. “From the moment We acquired Our Soul, We could instantly discern two things about Ourself.” She used a wing to point out the window toward the sun. “The first was obvious, move the sun to bring forth the day. We will not lie and say that We felt either joy or pride at having been selected to command the sun all by Our lonesome. Indeed, We were scared to hold such a huge responsibility in Our hooves, as was Luna when she received her own Soul.”

She retracted her wing and turned to look upon the Elements. “The second was more instinctual, but We believed it with every fiber of Our being and that was destiny had set Us on a path much grander than just bringing forth day and night. To have two fillies receive Souls that dwarfed all others in significance in the middle of a chaotic Equestria, where day and night were subject to change at a moment’s notice, surely held a deeper meaning.”

Tricolt tilted his head. “And what was that, your highness?”

Celestia took another moment to gaze upon the Elements before replying. “That We were to lead Equestria into an age of peace and prosperity.” She turned to her Guard Captain. “There were many times that Luna and We believed we were the last ponies who held onto hope that Equestria would one day find itself free from the shackles of Discord’s rule and harmony would be ushered in forever more.” She sighed, smiled, and returned her gaze to the Elements. “But the thought that it would be Us who brought harmony to Equestria did not cross Our minds until mere weeks ago.”

“The Tree of Harmony?” Tricolt asked.

Celestia nodded. “When We saw Our Souls patterned upon the tree’s trunk We knew, then and there, that We were meant to wield the Elements and cast down Discord. After which, with Us in control of both the sun and moon, taking up the position of Equestria’s rulers was only natural.”

Celestia returned her gaze onto Tricolt. “To that end, We wish to set Ourselves apart from Discord in all possible ways, one of such being open relationships with Our subjects.” Celestia took a moment to scratch one foreleg with the other before continuing. “Very few ponies knew Discord personally. Such a dark blind only heightened their fear of him, making it nigh impossible to mount an organized resistance against his madness. Our desire is to quell all fears anypony may have of Us by showing them that Our intentions are pure; only then shall they regard Us as the benevolent rulers We are.”

Celestia smiled when realization began dawning on Tricolt’s face. She continued. “Prepare both the recruits and the Royal Chariot, Captain Tricolt; consider this your first official assignment as the new Solar Guard of her royal highness, Princess Celestia of Equestria.”

With a smile, Captain Tricolt saluted. “Right away, your highness,” he said.

And with that, he cantered off to the Solar Guard barracks to put together a sufficient escort for the sun princess. Celestia watched until he disappeared from sight down the adjacent hallway from where they came.

We chose wisely Our Guard Captain, she thought with a smile.


An aura of nervousness had permeated Canterlot ever since Captain Tricolt delivered the royal sister’s message announcing their new rule over Equestria. Whereas everypony was before then curious as to the nature of Equestria’s saviors, now they had nothing but trepidations for them and how Equestria would fare under their rule.

Even with every reassurance given to them that the royal pony sisters intended to promote peace and harmony with their rule, most of the populace of not just Canterlot, but all of Equestria held a common fear for their new rulers. Even those who did have faith in the new diarchy could understand the mindset of those who did not; any one pony that could command either the sun or the moon held the fate of all living things in their grasp, to which fear for said pony was perfectly natural.

With all the unease regarding their new rulers, it was to be expected that the ponies of Canterlot (at least those outside in the streets) froze in their tracks when the following statement was shouted by somepony:

“The Royal Chariot of the sisters approaches!”

While this statement was repeated throughout the streets, loudly so as to reach the ears of anypony inside their homes, those who heard it the first time looked skyward in search of the golden chariot used by the royal sisters. Sure enough, there it was approaching from the southeast, being drawn by four pegasus stallions wearing the golden armor of the new Solar Guard. Sitting in the carriage were two more ponies, both recognizable. Tricolt had been in Canterlot a few days previous to recruit stallions for their highnesses’ respective Guards, and was easily identified by his brown coat as opposed to the white coats of the pegasi pulling the chariot.

But the bulk of everypony’s attention was fixated on who was sitting next to the Solar Guard Captain. The colorful, ethereal mane and tail of Princess Celestia stood out against the blue sky like an incomplete rainbow, their wave-like movements making it hard to focus on any other part of her. Her magenta eyes stared straight forward, not bothering to look down at the ground while her face was set into a neutral expression that betrayed no feelings of angst or determination, which made it impossible to guess what she could be thinking.

As the Royal Chariot began descending closer to the cobblestone streets of Canterlot, ponies who found themselves in its landing area quickly stepped away to make room for it. The pegasi guards touched their hooves onto the ground and immediately began running along the street, their hooves clopping against the cobblestone in rapid succession which was accompanied by the sound of the chariot’s wheels rolling along behind them. The chariot rolled along the streets for a good twenty meters, passing a plethora of awestruck ponies on both sides, before coming to a stop in front of the city’s marketplace.

Ponies watched from their stalls as Princess Celestia gingerly stepped off the chariot and onto the pavement. Captain Tricolt followed, hopping off the chariot in a burst of energy and landed onto the pavement with a hard thud. He instantly took position in front of Celestia, ready to shield her from any and all harm that may come her way. Celestia nodded in appreciation of his professionalism, then took a moment to look at everypony around them.

What she saw made her frown. Everywhere Celestia turned to look ponies would shrink under her gaze. Some even trembled when she looked in their direction, as if afraid she would shoot them with a magic beam at a moment’s notice.

Surely they do not already equate Us with that mad fiend Discord?

While Celestia surveyed the surrounding ponies, Captain Tricolt helped the pegasus Guards unlatch themselves from the chariot. Following that, he huddled them together for re-debriefing on their assignment.

“Remember colts,” he said, doing his best to sound authoritative, “we are to ensure her royal highness is protected from harm, no matter the cost. If one of us must lay down their life to ensure Princess Celestia remains safe, I expect them to openly welcome death's embrace. Am I clear?”

All four stallions nodded in understanding. Captain Tricolt smiled, then continued.

“Now, one of you four must stay with the Royal Chariot until her highness is finished here, so as to keep it safe from supposed thieves. Dost anypony volunteer to stay behind?”

All four stallions raised a foreleg into the air, whichever one wasn’t occupied with holding the respective Guard’s spear. Tricolt’s smile fell into a frown as he groaned in displeasure. He pointed to the Guard closest to him.

“Private Microburst, thou willst stay with the Royal Chariot, understood?”

“Yes, sir,” Microburst replied, smiling.

“Now then,” Tricolt turned his gaze to Princess Celestia, “shall we proceed, your highness?”

Celestia ceased her survey and turned to Captain Tricolt. She put a hoof to her chin and pondered her answer for a moment before giving it.

“Soon, Captain, but first We must make clear Our purpose for being here.”

Captain Tricolt watched as Celestia took off into the air, creating a moderate burst of wind that kicked a small cloud of dirt up into the air. Ponies from all over Canterlot watched as their sun princess flew higher and higher into the sky until she was level with the top of Canterlot’s tallest spiral towers. Gliding over to one that was nearby, Celestia touched down upon the roof and turned to face down at her subjects. Then she channeled magic into her vocal chords so as to be heard by everypony within the city. Once done, she began speaking.

“Citizens of Canterlot, it is with great pleasure that We announce the arrival of Princess Celestia of Equestria to thy fair city!!! Our purpose for being here is naught but to observe the daily lives of Our subjects and become better acquainted with all of you!!! We hope to quell all fears you may have pertaining to Our rule, as both my sister and We have naught but the purest intentions for Equestria and its citizens!!! Hopefully, with some time, you will come to trust that We are the ponies who shall lead this great country into a golden age of peace and prosperity!!!”

Upon finishing her speech, Celestia listened for whatever response Canterlot’s citizens had for her. She frowned when all she heard was a perfect silence emanating throughout the city streets below her. It was momentarily broken by the sound of a gentle breeze whistling through the air around her but returned immediately thereafter. For a moment, Celestia worried she had paralyzed everypony with fear instead of soothing their concerns as she intended.

Then Celestia’s ears flickered in response to a sound; one which came from the streets below her.

Clop Clop

Celestia recognized the sound as that of hooves stomping on stone, which continued on. She scanned the throngs of ponies below her until she spotted the source; a young unicorn stallion with an aquamarine coat and white mane/tail, stomping the stone pavement like a mad pony. Celestia could have sworn she saw a smile on the pony’s face as he applauded her.

Then more clopping followed from ponies nearby the stallion. They repeated his applause, which resulted in ponies nearby them doing the same. This continued on and on until everypony in Canterlot, that was outside at least, was stomping the stonework beneath them with such a fierce passion as to almost make Celestia cry out in joy. But she kept herself composed and let soak in her ears the sound of hundreds of ponies’ applause. Once the stomping died down, she continued speaking.

“We thank you for your applause, and are truly grateful to have such a warm welcome to your fair city of Canterlot!!! Whilst We are here, We expect you to remain respectful of Us and answer Our questions when asked!!! With that said, We look forward to making your acquaintance!!!”

Her speech concluded, Celestia leapt off the tower’s roof and began gliding down towards the ground. She smiled all the way down, for her plan was working. Ponies were warming up to her and, hopefully, becoming more faithful to her and Luna. As she neared the ground a little unicorn filly with a black mane and tail, a green coat, brown eyes, and a piccolo Soul was waiting for her.

"Well, hello little filly," Celestia said, touching down, "is there something We can help thee with?"

The filly stared sheepishly up at Celestia and scuffled her hoof across the pavement before answering. "If you rule Equestria now, dost that mean Discord is gone?"

Celestia smiled. "Discord is indeed gone, little filly. No longer must Equestria suffer under his rule, of that We guarantee."

The filly frowned. "If you-"

"EMERALD, WHAT ART THOU DOING!?"

The filly, Celestia, and the Guards turned as one to see a unicorn mare with the same coloration as the filly and a flute Soul galloping towards them. The mare barreled around ponies trotting throughout the marketplace, almost causing many to spill their purchases. She rushed across the pavement before coming to a stop in front of the filly.

"Never wander off like that again, young lady!" she shouted to the filly. "Dost thou understand me loud and clear?"

The filly shrunk under her gaze. "But mother, I had a question for the prin-"

"DOST THOU UNDERSTAND ME!?"

". . . Yes, mother."

The mare sighed in exasperation before turning to Princess Celestia and bowing. "I am terribly sorry if my daughter has caused you any inconvenience, your highness. Please, spare her your judgment."

Celestia and Tricolt shared a befuddled look before Celestia addressed the mare before her. "It is quite alright, miss . . .?"

"Lady Melody of the Wind House, your highness," the mare replied, voice laced with fear.

"Miss Melody, it is quite alright; thy daughter hath caused Us no inconvenience whatsoever." She smiled. "She merely asked if Our rule indicates Discord hath been cast down, which he has indeed."

Melody stood up on shaky hooves and smiled wryly. "Well, thank you for casting him down, your highness; everypony is surely grateful to both you and your sister for bringing harmony back to Equestria." Melody then hoisted her daughter up onto her back with her magic. "Come, Emerald, we must return home so thou canst practice."

Emerald nodded and the two set off back into the marketplace. As Celestia watched them go she noticed out of her eye's corner a couple of ponies watching her from affront a nearby stall. When she turned to meet their gaze, both ponies nearly tripped over themselves trying to return to what they were doing. Celestia then looked around the marketplace and saw that many ponies had been watching the exchange between her and Lady Melody along with her daughter Emerald, who all followed suit of the first two and quickly looked away and continued with their business.

We have much work to do, Celestia mused before turning to Captain Tricolt.

“We may proceed,” she said, smiling.

Tricolt nodded with his own smile. “Yes, your highness,” he replied, then turned to the three pegasus Guards. “Assume the formation!”

Within a single moment, all four Guards had surrounded Princess Celestia, ready to intercept an attack on her from any side. The three pegasi flanked Celestia on her left, right, and rear while Captain Tricolt took the lead.

Nodding her approval, Celestia spoke. “Lead the way, Captain.”


For the rest of the day, Celestia and her escort of Solar Guards explored the city of Canterlot, checking out the ponies and observing their daily activities with interest. The ponies of Canterlot always made sure to bow before the solar alicorn whenever she passed by, to which Celestia always smiled and continued onwards, not wanting to keep them from their business.

Occasionally, Celestia would tell her guards to halt so she could check out something of interest at length. When this happened, Captain Tricolt and the pegasi only got more vigilant in protecting her highness, going so far as to scowl at anypony who came too close to their formation. Celestia would then give them a stern reprimand, saying the whole point of their visit was to quell fears they had of them, and being intimidating to simply passersby went against that goal. The guards would apologize, and Celestia would smile before they continued on their merry way.

There were a few points when Celestia had even asked to stop and purchase food from the marketplace. Unsurprisingly, stall vendors who she went to would freak out and claim Celestia could take whatever she wanted without charge. Celestia would insist that she pay for the food, stating she wished to do all she could to help her subjects lead happy lives, to which the vendors would graciously accept the money and thank her highness immensely. Celestia always gave a warm smile in return before taking the food and continuing onwards. As to the food itself, Celestia would always say it’s “delicious” regardless of how it tasted.

It wasn’t until a few hours before dusk that Celestia and the Solar Guards began heading back to the royal chariot, hoping that Microburst had not managed to lose it since they left him with it. All the while they headed back, Celestia was lost in thought as to how much progress she had made getting in the good graces of her subjects. Even with the reassurance of a thousand ponies’ applause to her speech earlier, Celestia knew that her subjects were not totally convinced she had their best interests at heart. Good word of mouth would surely spread of her with all the commoner food she had bought, but Celestia knew she needed to do more to truly make ponies realize she cared for her subjects.

As she and her escort passed down the street leading to the chariot, one particular building to their left caught Celestia’s eye and she turned to look at it.

“Halt,” she commanded.

The Solar Guards did as instructed and stopped walking. They looked to her highness and followed her gaze to the building that caught her interest. It was a two story stone brick abode with a slanted wooden roof and a chimney on the right side. A couple of windows flanked both sides of the wooden front door; through the right one a pink unicorn mare with a wavy red mane and magenta eyes could be seen with her head resting in her forehooves. Atop the front door was a wooden sign that read:

Happy Heart Canterlot Orphanage

Princess Celestia stared at the building for a few moments, deep in thought, until Captain Tricolt’s voice snapped her back.

“Your highness?”

Celestia turned to face him. “Captain,” she replied, “We have decided to adopt a foal.”

Tricolt’s, as well as the pegasi’s, eyes went as wide as dinner plates. Celestia suppressed a giggle as Tricolt got over his shock and replied to her.

“For what reason, your highness?” he asked.

“For the same reason We are here, Captain.” Celestia turned to look back at the orphanage and continued. “In spite of all We have done to prove to Our subjects that We care for them, doubt still lingers within their collective psyche. By adopting a foal to raise up and nurture, We hope to accomplish two things. The first is to have a third wheel to help Us rule Equestria and help it recover from Discord's chaos. The second is to prove that We care for Our subjects by raising one as if he or she were Our own.” Celestia turned to look back at Tricolt, who now wore an expression of understanding mixed with a hint of nervousness.

“We understand if this decision comes as a shock to thee, Captain.” Celestia smiled. “But trust Us when We say it is with the best of intentions.”

Captain Tricolt took a moment to mull over her words before adopting a resolute expression and replying. “As you wish, your highness.”

Celestia nodded, and began walking toward the orphanage, to which the guards began to follow before being waved off by the solar alicorn.

“Thou willst remain here and stand watch,” she commanded, “for thy presence shall only create unrest to the orphaned foals inside.”

The Solar Guards nodded in understanding and positioned themselves to either side of the orphanage’s front door while Celestia approached it and knocked. After a few moments of waiting, the door opened to reveal the pink coated mare she had seen inside, whom immediately started and bowed before the sun princess.

Celestia merely smiled and knelt down to the mare. “Art thou Miss Happy Heart?” she asked.

The mare looked up at her and nodded shakily. “In-indeed I am, y-your highness.”

Celestia stood up straight. “Thou mayst rise, Miss Heart.”

Happy Heart did as she was told. “T-to what do I o-owe the pl-plea-pleasure of having y-you visit, your highness?”

Celestia gestured with a wing inside the orphanage. “May We come inside?” she asked.

Happy Heart nodded shakily again. “Of course,” she replied, the stutter finally leaving her voice. She stepped aside to allow Princess Celestia entry, to which the solar alicorn nodded and proceeded inside.

Celestia took a moment to stretch her wings before scanning the inside of Happy Heart’s orphanage. In front of her was a stone-walled hallway with a wooden floor and four doors along both walls; two on each side. At the end of the hallway was a wooden staircase leading up to the second floor. Celestia could make out faint sounds of activity emanating from that direction; no doubt the orphaned foals were upstairs playing.

One of them shall be pleasantly surprised very soon, Celestia thought, smiling happily.

She heard the front door close behind her followed by the sound of hoof steps trotting up alongside her.

“For what reason are you here, princess?” Happy Heart asked, coming around Celestia and looking up at her. “Surely I have done nothing to warrant suspicion of treason or rebellion . . . right?”

Celestia shook her head, keeping her smile wide. “Nay, Miss Heart; quite the opposite, actually." She took a moment to stretch her hind legs before continuing. "We are here looking to adopt a foal."

Celestia watched with amusement as Happy Heart stumbled over backwards in response and fell onto her haunches, wide-eyed like her guards were earlier. She quickly scrambled to her hooves and replied.

“Are you serious, your highness?”

Celestia nodded and answered. “Like We announced earlier, We wish to show Equestria’s populace that We mean no ill will towards them and genuinely care for their well-being. To prove Our assertion, and provide a paradigm for those whom lack faith in Us, We wish to adopt a foal and care for them like a good mother would.” Celestia re-donned her smile. “Additionally, a third wheel to help Us rule Equestria could not hurt to have.”

Happy Heart mulled over the sun princess’ words for a moment before a small smile broke out on her face and a teary mist formed in her eyes. A little sniffle sounded from her as she pointed to the stairs.

“Everypony is currently playing upstairs,” she said. Happy used a fore hoof to wipe away the mist from her eyes. “If you need me, I will be in my office.”

Celestia nodded, and began walking toward the staircase. Happy Heart, meanwhile, rushed into her office and shut the door. She wandered over to her desk and sat down before using her magic to pick up a rag from the nearby vanity and levitate it over, where she began using it to wipe away her joyous tears.


The first thing Celestia noticed upon reaching the stairs’ top was the sheer amount of energy all the little foals had. Most of them were engaged in a game of tag from what she could make out, and all the laughs and cheers that resounded from the little ponies while playing brought a warm smile to Celestia’s face. Then Celestia noticed something in a far corner of the room; three unicorn fillies surrounded an earth pony colt whom was reading a book, talking to him. The three fillies had color schemes of various shades of green and blue, while the colt had a coat colored crimson and a mane and tail colored dark gray. Celestia could not see his eyes as they were buried in his book, but she did not need to see them to guess the colt was not enjoying the three fillies’ company.

I had best see what is happening, she thought, and began walking toward them.

In no more than five seconds, every foal who had been playing tag spotted her and stopped cold in their tracks. Even the foal whom was currently ‘it’ froze where she was, not even bothering to take advantage of the suspended game play. With the sudden pause in the game came silence from those whom were playing. Now Celestia could hear clearly what the three fillies were saying to the colt, and it made her furrow her brows in anger.

“Solis is Soulless! Solis is Soulless! Solis is Soulless! Solis is-“

“Ahem.”

The three fillies immediately stopped their chanting upon hearing Celestia clear her throat. Slowly, they turned around to face her, wide eyed and legs trembling. As soon as they saw it was the sun princess, however, fear itself seemed to overtake them as they backed up against the nearest wall and began mumbling incoherent nonsense in their traumatic state of mind. Celestia kept her brows furrowed and closed the distance between them. She gave them disappointed looks and spoke.

“All three of thou, make haste immediately.”

The three fillies wasted no time in complying with Celestia’s command; they galloped to the opposite wall from where the colt was reading and stood there shaking with fear, silently whispering for the sun princess to have mercy on them. Celestia ignored them and turned to the colt who had not stopped reading his book throughout their exchange. Now that she was closer Celestia could see his eyes clearly, and she found them more bizarre than anything else; they were fully yellow with no visible pupils to speak of.

Hath he a birth defect? Celestia asked herself.

She pondered this while she approached the colt, who still refused to meet her gaze. Celestia used her horn to cast a sound barrier around the both of them so they would not be overheard by the other foals, then knelt down so she was eye level with the colt. Upon looking into his yellow eyes, despite them having no visible pupils, Celestia could see a fierce determination in them that beheld an almost abnormal level of focus on the book he was reading. She gave him her warmest smile and spoke.

“Hello, little one,” she said to him, “what is thy name?”

The colt answered without even looking up from the book. “The three mules were chanting it for quite a while; my name is Solis.”

Celestia raised a curious brow at his choice of words used to refer to the three fillies. She was especially perturbed by how casually he spoke the insult, as if he was accustomed to it already. Clearly, this wasn’t the first time the fillies had harassed Solis.

“For what reason do they chant?” she asked.

Solis still refused to look up at her, which slightly irked Celestia, but he still answered her question again. “They find it amusing to tease me because I am lacking a Soul.”

It was then that particular detail finally caught Celestia’s attention. She glanced at Solis’ flank to see that it was, indeed, blank as could be.

A late bloomer, it seems; probably the sole one amongst these foals.

Celestia was brought out of her musings by the action of Solis turning a page to the book. Curious as to what had his undivided attention, she gazed down at the words herself only to be puzzled by them. Despite the book being upside down from where she was looking, Celestia could see that the pages Solis was on talked about advanced magical theory; specifically, unicorn magic. This was especially confusing since Solis was an earth pony and not a unicorn. Celestia might have assumed Solis was reading purely out of curiosity, but the determined look in his eyes convinced her there was more to it.

Since Solis had made it clear he was not interested in properly conversing with anypony, Celestia decided to seek answers to her remaining questions from Happy Heart. She quickly dispelled her sound barrier and stood up. Turning around, she saw that every single foal’s gaze was fixated on her, their eyes wide and mouths slack-jawed in awe. Celestia gave them a warm smile and proceeded toward the stairs.

“Do not mind Us, little foals,” she said to them while walking. “Please, continue playing your game.”

None of the foals gave any kind of response. They merely followed Celestia with their eyes as she reached the stairs and began descending them. They continued staring long after her ethereal mane disappeared from view. A harsh silence permeated the room’s atmosphere, eventually broken by the sound of Solis turning another page of his book.

“What happened?” asked a pegasus colt whom was closest to the stairs.

“Princess Celestia herself came and spoke with Solis!” shouted one of the three unicorn fillies whom was taunting Solis.

All eyes turned to said earth pony colt, to which some of them widened in response to seeing that, after hours of reading his book, Solis had stopped reading and was now looking at them with a curious brow raised.

“That was Celestia?” he asked to nopony in particular.

“. . . Surely thou art kidding, correct?” asked another one of the unicorn fillies.

Solis rolled his eyes. “Forget I asked,” he said, and resumed reading.

“Nay,” the filly replied. She walked over to Solis and yanked the book out of his hooves with her magic.

“What the- give it back!” Solis attempted to grab the book back, but the filly levitated it away. She passed it along to another one of the trio to which Solis followed it.

“Keep Away!” shouted the third filly as the book was passed to her.

All the other foals watched the scene before them with equal parts hesitation and concern. All of them wanted the four ponies’ quarreling to stop, yet at the same time hoped somepony else would step in as they did not want to put themselves in harm’s way. Nopony did, however, and the game of keeping Solis’ book from him continued on.

“GIVE MY BOOK BACK!!!” Solis eventually shouted at the top of his lungs.

“Maybe thou shouldst use magic to take it back?” the filly currently holding the book said. “Oh wait, thou art an earth pony!” And she started laughing.

And with that, Solis lost his patience. All his pent up anger and hatred for the three fillies finally reached its breaking point, and he was keen on letting it out. This time, Solis didn’t gallop towards the filly currently holding his book. Instead, he slowly trotted toward the filly whom just insulted him, his eyebrows furrowed and mouth set into a grim line.

The filly raised a confused brow as he reached her. “What art th-“

She never got to finish her question. Solis left no time for her to react as he turned around and shot a back hoof straight to her face. The blow connected square with her muzzle, resounded by the sickening crunch of bone and squished muscle tissues, and sent the filly flying into the nearest wall. She hit it hard, making a dent in the wood in her shape before falling facedown onto the floor.

Solis lowered his back hoof and turned to face the other two fillies. Their eyes, along with everypony else’s, were wide with shock and terror. He scowled at the one holding his book, and was about to demand she give it back when a familiar voice spoke out, one which sent a slight chill down everypony’s spine.