• Published 29th Oct 2013
  • 11,816 Views, 583 Comments

Memoirs in Ink and Blood - Corah Il Cappo



She betrayed us. She mislead us. She imposed her rule upon us. We rose in defiance. Sequel to The Monster We Made

  • ...
64
 583
 11,816

Civility

Today was day one hundred and sixty four since my banishment. I knew because I had marked each individual day on the bark of an oak tree in the midst of my little camp.

Despite what some would say of me, I was not ignorant of survival. I lived in the lap of luxury yes, but that was only half my job. The other half was organizing trade in the areas no other pony dared to tread. The badlands of the Griffon kingdoms, the savannas of Zebrica, and the harsh deserts of Saddle Arabia were all common destinations of mine. I knew how to fend for myself.

I had no food, but managed to make do with leaves and grass clippings. I brewed tea from bark, and continually bathed and washed my clothing in a small creek nearby. I wove sticks and branches together into a makeshift shelter. It was nothing compared to the palace lifestyle I had left behind, but it was better than having nothing.

Despite my harsh surroundings, I refused to sacrifice my civility. I was a prince of Equestria, not some mindless beast. The sun moon and stars may have lost their course, but I knew that one day they would be returned to their rightful order, just as I would one day be returned to my rightful place among Equestria's nobles.

Of course, returning there would be nigh impossible. Not without bloodshed anyways. A usurper still sat upon my throne. A usurper who could squash me with less than a thought. There was no way I would be able to throw down somepony who wore the mantle of a god.

At least, I could not do it alone.

With an army at my back, it would be possible to overwhelm her, and deliver a victory through sheer numbers. It would take thousands, perhaps even millions to equal her power. There was no way I could get that many ponies over to my side, even with my impressive charisma. It was an impossible task, and I knew it.

But sometimes we need to seek the impossible. Sometimes dreams of the impossible are the only thing we can believe in. They're what wake us up in the morning. They're what drive us, even when we have nothing left to live for. We strive to attain them, knowing full well they are impossible. We dream that we will be the ones to make the impossible reality.

Now, impossible dreams danced about in my head. Driving me, compelling me to make them reality. I knew not how I would do so, and so I waited. Surely if I waited long enough, a flash of inspiration would come to me.

One hundred and sixty four days later, and I was still waiting for it. I tried meditation, blending strange herbs into my teas, standing on my head for long periods of time to stimulate blood flow to my brain. Nothing. My mind was completely devoid of any useful ideas. I thought about trying to slip into Ponyville, and raising a small army from there. But they were no warriors. Farmers, artists, candy-makers yes, but soldiers they were not.

I needed the guards.

Of course, getting them to listen to me would be nigh impossible. The guards weren't loyal to the Prince, and whatever sway I had as Celestia's nephew was worthless now that she was dead. They were loyal to only two ponies Twilight Sparkle and Shining Armor.

As if by some ironic twist of fate, Shining Armor himself crashed into my camp. He stumbled into the clearing, smashing his way through the shelter I had constructed. He tumbled to the ground, looking more bedraggled than I had ever seen him. He glanced up at me with bloodshot eyes, blinking several times as if in disbelief.

"Well that's certainly one way to make an entrance."

I helped him to his hooves, and soon we were reminiscing over tea. For the first time in one hundred and sixty four days, it felt as though life was normal. No longer were we two men at war against the gods. We were simply two ponies sharing a cup of tea between friends. We talked and laughed together just like we used to in the halls of the Royal Palace in Canterlot. For just a few moments, everything was as it should be. All was right in the world, or at least our section of the Everfree.

Slowly but surely, reality crept in on our conversation. Our topic turned to the struggles we had both been facing since our recent expulsion from Canterlot. It seemed that between the two of us, I had been faring slightly better. He explained his situation to me, as well as the conflict that boiled in his chest. He wanted Cadence back, more than anything else in the world. Yet the task he was set out to do was impossible.

Of course, the impossible can drive us to do crazy things.

"She's baiting you."

I spoke my mind, something I was rarely able to do back home in Canterlot.

"She's dangling a carrot in front of your jaws, but the second you snap for it, she'll pull it further back. She doesn't want to give you back Cadence, even if she could. Cause the second she does, she loses the hold she has over you. You're being played for a fool here, Armor. She's playing chess here, and you're just a pawn in the game. Things will never be the way they once were, but that doesn't mean we need to settle for what it's become. I've never been one to settle for less than the best. What about you? Will you settle for this?"

I could feel a shift in him. His eyes were ablaze, and his face was set like steel.

"Never again."