• Published 29th Oct 2013
  • 11,805 Views, 583 Comments

Memoirs in Ink and Blood - Corah Il Cappo



She betrayed us. She mislead us. She imposed her rule upon us. We rose in defiance. Sequel to The Monster We Made

  • ...
64
 583
 11,805

Magic

Exile was the sentence.

They had charged Trixie with high treason, and for what? All that she did was steal a little amulet so that she might return to being her great and powerful self. Was that truly so wrong?

You'd think that Trixie had murdered Celestia herself!

But no, apparently stealing the Alicorn Amulet was a crime worth kicking Trixie out of Equestria for. Ah well. It was their loss really. Equestria was undeserving of the Great and Powerful Trixie, and so she would take her act elsewhere. Perhaps she would traverse the vast deserts, or scale high mountains, or gallop through windswept plains in search of a new audience, one that appreciated her gifts.

Or she could dash off through the Everfree and come down with a nasty case of Poison Joke.

For days Trixie was forced to tread the forest trails, the Poison Joke causing her head to swell to absolutely bulbous proportions. Ugh, the swelling was nearly as painful as the blatant metaphor. Day after day Trixie did nothing but stagger about, unsure of where she was going or even where she was.

Finally,with her limbs on the verge of collapse, Trixie lay down upon a bed of cold, hard stone and prepared to meet her end. She had lived a full life, hadn't she? Trixie had brought great joy to colts and fillies alike with her magic act! Trixie had impacted an entire generation with her showmanship! Her mastery of the stage was something that scholars and townsfolk alike would talk about for ages to come! Trixie's legacy would be immortal!

But she herself was not.

Trixie realized in that moment just what it meant to be a mortal. Whether or not she left a legacy to ponykind, what was it in the grand scheme of things? She had heard legends that Luna and Celestia were several thousand years old. The Dragons and Draconequus, although the latter was nigh extinct, were said to have lived even longer. Popular myths stated that Discord may have seen the world at it's birth. What were her eighteen years compared to countless millennia?
Trixie's life would be just a drop of water in the ocean.

A grain of sand upon its shore.

A blade of grass upon the plain.

Or, more appropriately, a single tree in the Everfree.

Mortality was a cruel mistress. Trixie had spent her entire life entertaining, just trying to bring a little happiness to the world, and perhaps stroke her own ego a bit at the same time. Now she lay upon a rock, contemplating the futility of her own existence. For the first time, Trixie realized how much the world had changed.

Despite her protests, Trixie’s eyelids continued to grow heavier. Finally, they slammed shut.

After what felt like hours, they opened again. No longer did Trixie lay amid the grass and trees, but now she was indoors. The walls around her were made from lashed wooden poles, and decorated with intricately painted tribal masks. It felt strange, as though Trixie had landed upon some sort of strange alien planet.

Trixie reached up to feel her head, and found that it was no longer swollen. Something strange was going on here.

“I’m glad to see that you’re alright, I didn’t think you’d live the night.”

Trixie was alarmed to suddenly hear a voice chiming into her thoughts. For a split second, she thought she had gone mad. A split second after, she was assured she wasn’t as she whirled about and came face to face with a pony the likes of which she had never seen.

It was a zebra. She had heard tales of them, but never seen one. They were said to live far to the west, beyond Appleoosa and in the deep deserts that lay beyond. But in the Everfree? Such a thing was unheard of.

“Who are you? What have you done to Trixie?”

The zebra chuckled. She didn’t seem offended in the slightest.

“I suppose an introduction would be for the best, my name is Zecora, and you are my guest. You had poison joke, a most severe case, so I cooked up a cure with the utmost haste. You’re alright now, you can rest assured. Your dire condition has now been cured.”

Trixie couldn’t believe it. This zebra had taken her in, cured her sickness, and was now offering her home as a resting place? And for what? Trixie could give her nothing in return, save for a tattered hat and a briar torn cloak. She questioned Zecora about this, but received only another rhyme in return.

“I want nothing from you, you’re a welcome guest! Now go, lie down, and get some rest!”

Zecora grabbed a wooden mug from a shelf, and handed it to Trixie. It was empty. Before Trixie could ask why, her host ran a hoof around the rim of the cup, instantly filling it with steaming hot milk.

She knew magic.

Despite not having a horn, nor any inkling of formal training, Zecora knew magic.

Trixie could hardly believe her eyes. She raised her mug and took a drink of the warm milk. It was real alright. This was not stage magic. There were no mirrors or puffs of smoke. No fireworks, no lasers, no misdirection. This was magic in its rawest form. It was real magic.

“How did you do that?”

The zebra laughed heartily as she began to mix ingredients in a large cauldron.

“I assure you, what you see is no trick! You’re witnessing my own special brand of magic.”

In that moment, I knew what I had to do. I would return to Equestria. I would return to them with real magic. I could be so much more than a simple stage magician. After all, the world was short the element of magic. Somepony had to bring it back.

Why not me?

Author's Note:

I apologize for how long it took for this chapter to go up. Finals have been really hitting me hard, and coming down with a case of Whooping Cough hasn't helped things much. But its finally here. Enjoy.