• Published 28th Oct 2013
  • 1,517 Views, 21 Comments

The Inn of the Midnight Pony - Emerald Harp



When Gotrek and Felix arrive in the imperial city of Nuln, they choose the gaudiest establishment in the city to stay the night. While they are there, they are visited by a mysterious dark alicorn, who has a mission for them.

  • ...
8
 21
 1,517

Yewabor and its Uses

The ponies filed out of the town hall, silently contemplating a life below ground. Some cast hostile glares at their appointed guardians who had forced this fate upon them. Gotrek and Felix ignored the pointed looks and instead focused their attention on two of their former enemies.

“Do either of you remember anything when you were corrupted?” Gotrek bluntly asked.

The two crystal empire guards winced in unison.

Bright Shield was the first to answer. “I remember everything. It was like . . . ,” the pony hesitated, searching for the right words. “It was like a nightmare that I couldn’t wake up from. I saw myself doing terrible things. Things I couldn’t even dream of doing.”

Morning Star nodded. “Yeah, I remember fighting both of you at the Ponyville train station. And during the entire time I was . . . changed. There was this voice in my head telling me what to do.”

“Was it the voice of Shining Armor?” asked Felix.

“No. It was actually a lot of voices, both mares and stallions talking as one. It only spoke when it wanted me to do something. Have you knights come across this before?”

“Hundreds of times,” replied the Slayer. “I lost count decades ago of how many warped things I’ve cleaved in two. Be thankful you’re not part of that tally.”

Both pegasai eyed the dwarf’s massive axe and gulped.

Felix rolled his eyes. “Do you know where Shining Armor is?”

“No,” answered Bright Shield. “After the short one . . .”

Gotrek cleared his throat and glared at the pony.

“Sorry. After Twilight Sparkle and her friends used the Elements of Harmony, I was normal again and lost my connection to Shining Armor.”

The poet nodded absently.

“Uh, Sirs,” Morning Star started to say. “What are your orders?”

Felix frowned. “Aren’t you needed in your own kingdom?”

Both guards looked at the ground in shame. “We can’t go home without the Prince,” replied Morning Star. “I’d rather stare down a horde of ice trolls then face Princess Cadence and explain to her how we failed to protect her husband. What can we do to help get him back?”

Gotrek was impressed. If there was one thing a dwarf admired about lesser races, it was honor. He completely understood the guard’s shame, since he had his own millstone of guilt to carry. “You can help by protecting this town and making sure these ponies are moved underground. We need warriors we can trust, since we won’t be here forever to protect this place. Are you up to this challenge?”

Bright Shield hesitated. “Yes, but what about the Prince?”

“Leave him to us,” said the Slayer. “We’ll bring him back, one way or another.”

The guards thanked the knights for this important assignment and began to pour over Twilight Sparkle’s plan to move all of Ponyville into the sewers. Leaving the two pegasi to their work, Gotrek and Felix stepped outside city hall. There they found Twilight and a zebra waiting for them.

“Ahh, are these the lunar knights I see? It is they I have to thank for setting me free?”

“Yes, Zecora. These are the two knights Princess Luna sent to help us,” said Twilight.

Gotrek waved off the pleasantries. “Enough talking. The Moon Princess said you can cure the taint of warpstone. Is this true?”

Unperturbed by the axe man’s gruffness, the zebra replied, “Come with me, and you shall see.”

“Where are we going?” asked Felix.

“Back to my place we must fly. Where I will show you secrets not meant for prying eyes.”

Minutes later the two knights and Twilight found themselves in Zecora’s hut deep in the Everfree Forest. Gotrek eyed the zebra’s decor with suspicion while Felix and the element of magic listened to what the potion mistress said.

“This warpstone stuff is cruel and quick, but turquoise located in the south may do the trick.”

Felix scratched his chin in thought. “How? Is there something special about that mineral? In the Empire we use it for decorations.” Felix paused in thought. “I don’t think any of the wizards from the Colleges of Magic have had any success in using it to fight chaos.”

“I agree,” Twilight said thoughtfully. “I don’t remember turquoise being a major component in any of the spells I’ve read up on. Is this mineral used for special zebra magic?”

Zecora didn’t answer any questions right away. Stepping around the Slayer, she picked up one of the masks decorating the wall, revealing a small cavity. “By itself the rock is useless. But it can do much more when combined with this.” Reaching into the hole, she produced a large vial of silver powder.

Felix took a look at the vial and recoiled in shock. “Is that u----“

“No!” shouted Zecora.

The zebra’s sudden outburst surprised Twilight. “What? What’s wrong?”

Felix looked at Zecora who was shaking her head ever so slightly and motioning towards Twilight. The poet glanced at the unicorn and finally comprehended what the potion mistress was trying to say without talking. “That’s yewabor, isn’t it? My Father sold it in his shop in Altdorf but in very, very small quantities.”

The zebra blinked but then picked up the thread Felix had laid for her. “Yes. You are correct. You knowing what this is, I did not expect. It is a family secret that I wanted to keep. But I suppose hiding it this long is still a feat.”

Gotrek watched this entire scene unfold without comment.

Twilight frowned. “I’ve never heard of yewabor before? I don’t think I’ve come across it anywhere. Not even in the Starswhirl the Bearded wing of the Canterlot Library.”

“That’s because it’s rare beyond belief,” answered Felix. “According to ancient poems I’ve read, yewabor can only be found deep in the jungles of the east and only at the bottoms of rivers during a full moon.” Looking at Zecora he said, “I’m sorry for disclosing this secret, ma’am. I wasn’t thinking.”

Zecora shrugged. “It would have come out eventually. The truth does so perpetually.”

“How much turquoise do you need?” Gotrek asked, getting the conversation back on track.

“Of this mineral I will need a lot. To Appleloosa with peril your journey is fraught. Flintrock lives in the desert and has a mine. Tell him Zecora sent you, and all will be fine.”

“Hmmmm.” Twilight was deep in thought. If the entire town works on the plan I put forth, they should be able to complete the move to the sewers in a matter of days. And the existing system should be able to hold the population for a short time if it has to. Ponyville should be okay if trouble arises while we’re away.

“What do you mean, ‘we?’” asked Gotrek. “You’re staying here while the manling and I get this stuff.”

Twilight shook her head. “No, right now the Elements of Harmony is the only force in Equestria that can fight warpstone. You’re going to need us. You two said so yourself. The Elements of Harmony can’t stay in Ponyville forever.”

“I’m not babysitting six flea-bitten horses down to Grungi knows where,” hissed Gotrek.

“You need them, and they need you. This is the command of Princess Luna, tried and true,” added Zecora.

“We don’t need---”

“Yes, we do Gotrek,” replied Felix quietly. “Our mission is to protect these six ponies and the inhabitants of this land. We serve both purposes by gathering this mineral with the element wielders. They are safer with us. If we go to this place by ourselves and we are killed, then we fail in our oath to the Princess. We are no use to her dead.”

Seeing that he couldn’t get his way this time, Gotrek ground his new teeth together in frustration. “So be it. But I can’t guarantee your safety out there.”

“I know.” Yawning in weariness, Twilight declared, “I’d better inform the Mayor and the girls what’s going on. The train to Appleloosa should be here by 11:00 o’clock tonight.”

As soon as Twilight left, Felix asked Zecora, “I take it she doesn’t know you’re collecting ground-up unicorn horn?”

The zebra couldn’t help but glance at the vial she had kept hidden for so long. “She does not know the main ingredient of my magic compound. And even if I told her, I don’t think she’d come around. That was some quick thinking back there. Twilight knowing the truth, I don’t think she could bear. ”

Gotrek did not seem at all surprised that Zecora was collecting and mashing up pieces of unicorns. “You don’t strike me as the murdering kind. So I’d wager you ‘re either a grave robber, or someone is giving you those body parts.”

Zecora shifted her weight nervously from hoof to hoof. “No ponies were harmed, you have my oath. And if you tell no one about this, I will be indebted to you both.”

The dwarf shrugged. “So if we mix turquoise with this magical bone dust, it will cure the corruption?”

“Yes, this ---”

This is a waste of time, grave robber. It’s not going to work,” Gotrek stated, interrupting the potion brewer.

Zecora’s lips thinned. “How do you know, little fly? We will not know until we try.”

Gotrek’s grip tightened on his axe. “It’s a good thing the princess seems to value your services, horse. Come manling, this place disgusts me. We know what we need to know. All we must do now is wait.”

12:30 A.M. Ponyville Train Station

Twilight Sparkle rubbed her weary eyes and glanced at the large clock that hung above the train station.

In-between yawns Rainbow Dash asked, “Where in the hay is that train?”

Applejack shook her head to keep herself awake. “Like I said earlier, Rainbow, they probably got hung up somewhere.”

“I wish they’d hurry up. I don’t want to stay out here in the wilderness all night,” complained Rarity.

“Are you kidding? This is going to be a blast. We’ll stay up late. Keep watch. Tell each other soul-searching stories about our wretched past. Am I right, Gotty?”

The shorter knight didn’t answer. He stood where he was as still as a statue, puffing on his long pipe, off in his own world.

Twilight stared at Fluttershy. Gotrek wasn’t the only one being unusually silent. Sitting herself down next to her friend she whispered, “Are you okay?”

The pegasus nodded.

“You sure?”

The other pony looked over at the dwarf. “I just wish we weren’t going with them.”

“Fluttershy, we’ve been over this. They saved Ponyville. They saved us.”

“I know, but they hurt so many innocent animals. Those poor things didn’t know what they were doing. They remember, Twilight. They remember being hit with those cruel weapons. Some of my forest friends aren’t the same anymore.”

Twilight nodded. “I’m sorry, Fluttershy, but we have to do this. Please, give them a chance. That’s all I’m asking.”

Fluttershy didn’t reply for a long time. But finally she said, “I’ll try.”

Standing nearby, the poet couldn’t hear everything that was spoken between the two ponies, but he had heard enough. His gloved hands balled in frustration. Since the dragon was sleeping nearby, the hand wear was now a necessity. He had been wondering why the yellow pony had been giving him angry looks. Was she really that naïve? What were he and Gotrek supposed to do? Talk nicely and offer the warped monsters love and friendship?

“Sir Felix?”

The knight blinked. Standing infront of him was the white unicorn with the purple mane.

“I’m no Sir, ma’am. I’m just Felix.”

The pony smiled. “I beg to differ, my good man. My sister, Sweetie Belle, and I have seen you do things worthy of a knight.”

Glancing at Fluttershy, Felix replied, “I’m glad you at least think so.”

Rarity followed the human’s gaze and nodded in understanding. “Fluttershy is very sensitive when it comes to animals. Deep down she knows you are not to blame for what’s happened to them . . . but it may take time for her to realize that.”

“Yeah, she’ll come around.”

Felix looked up to see Rainbow Dash had been eavesdropping.

The pegasus grinned smugly down at the human. “And by the way, you owe me a drink.”

The poet frowned, unsure of what the mare was talking about. But then it dawned on him. “How many wood wolves did you best in front of the hospital?”

“How many did you beat?” countered the pegasus.

Felix tried to remember, but couldn’t. “I don’t know.”

“That’s right, he doesn’t know. He was too busy rescuing me,” Rarity said gazing lovingly at Felix.

“Ha! I win by default then!” Rainbow Dash cried triumphantly.

“Hush up, you guys. I think the train’s coming,” Applejack hissed.

“It’s about bloody time,” Gotrek muttered as he extinguished his pipe.

The approaching train from Canterlot blew it’s loud, shrill whistle as it rolled into the station.

While rubbing his eyes, Spike sleepily looked at the train. “Oh great, the train’s here. Uh, shouldn’t there be lights on or something?”

Felix looked the train up and down. The dragon was right. There was not a single light source in the cars or the engine. Instinctively, the poet drew his sword, and Gotrek readied his axe.

The steam engine was battered, and several of the railcars had jagged holes torn into the sides. As the noise of the train’s arrival died away, the screams and din of battle could be heard from the coaches. From the lead car, a pegasus donned in the livery of the Canterlot Royal Guard jumped down on the wooden platform of the station. The pony screamed in pain when he landed. One of the pony’s legs was broken, and the warrior’s armor was so damaged, it looked like he was wearing a crushed tin can. “Help! We can’t hold them in for much longer!”

Gotrek sprang into action, rushing headlong up the train ladder and into the railcar.

Before Felix could shout after the dwarf, Twilight commanded, “Felix! Go to the other end. We’ll catch them in a vice. Rainbow Dash, Applejack, back him up. Pinkie, you’re with me. Fluttershy, Rarity, Spike, help this guard.”

The knight did not argue as he rushed to the last car of the train. From the corner of his eye, he saw Twilight and Pinkie climbing up the same route the Slayer had taken. When he reached the entrance to the last car, he said to the two ponies, “Alright, just keep calm and watch each other’s back.” Felix looked at Rainbow Dash. “And don’t get ahead of us. We need to stick together.”

“Yeah, yeah, we’re not amateurs. A.J. could you open the door?”

“Sure can. Excuse me, Sugarcube.” The work horse gently moved Felix out of the way. Using her powerful back legs, Applejack bucked the door off its hinges.

The knight was the first one through, weapon ready to parry any blows swung his way. The poet could barely see a thing. Only the lamps from the train station afforded the human any light. Quietly, the Equestrians followed the human through the dimly-lit room. Moments later, Felix heard Gotrek’s war-cry from several cars away. The human fought the urge to hurry to help him, knowing it would be foolish to run headlong into the unknown. As his eyes adjusted to the darkness, he saw something move. “Hold on,” he whispered to his companions. There was something off to his side, sitting in one of the passenger seats. He squinted to get a better view. That was when the object opened its emerald eyes and lunged at him. The corrupted guard-pony pinned the knight against the wall, the pony’s snapping teeth inches away from the man’s throat. Before Felix could act, an orange hoof slugged the pegasus in the side of face, caving in the pony’s helmet.

“You alright, partner?”

Felix didn’t have time to answer. Swinging his sword in a wide arc, the fighter clubbed a second guardsman about to bite the earthpony’s neck. The guard caught the sword full in the face, but Luna’s enchantment saved him from decapitation.

“Much obliged,” said a surprised Applejack.

“Help!”

Felix looked ahead. In the center of the passenger car, Rainbow Dash was surrounded by three more warped ponies. One was a Canterlot guard, armed with a spear, but two were earth ponies garbed in train coveralls, wielding shovels and wrenches. The surrounded pony couldn’t watch all three opponents at once, and the engineer wielding a shovel scored a glancing hit on the pony’s wing. Rainbow Dash winced in pain as she tucked her wing under herself.

Felix surged forward and attacked the guard before the corrupted pegasus could impale his wounded opponent. The guard had just enough time to try and block the swordsman’s weapon with his own. Felix’s sword cut through the spear haft like it wasn’t there and would have bisected the pegasus in half if the protective bubble hadn’t formed. The pony collapsed in a heap on the floor after the human’s blow was struck.

Meanwhile, A.J had ducked under the pony swinging the wrench. She pounded her hooves into the engineer’s midriff and knocked the wind out of the earth pony.

Rainbow Dash, moving as quickly as she could with her hurt wing, tackled the pony using the shovel. With a loud crash both ponies landed just behind Felix. Before the poet could move to help Rainbow, he screamed in agony. He looked down and saw that a golden fletched arrow had pierced his foot and was pinning him to the carpeted floor.

Four more corrupted ponies had appeared from the neighboring car. Two were wielding bows while their brethren wielded spears.

As the archers nocked their arrows and aimed for the crippled human, a pink-painted bomb bounced under the warped pony’s hooves. The resulting explosion blinded Felix, and the train car was filled with salmon-colored smoke and confetti. The poet heard several grunts and groans and bodies hitting the floor as the seconds ticked by.

“Hold Still, manling. This is going to hurt.”

“Gotrek, wait!” yelled Twilight.

At this point the human’s vision had returned. The remaining smoke stung his eyes, but standing over him was the Slayer. His huge hand gripped the arrow lodged in his foot.

“Fluttershy has pulled thorns out of the paws of manticors. She can help Felix better than just ripping the arrow out of his leg.”

The dwarf warred between yanking the projectile out himself, which Felix could tell he really wanted to do, and doing things the Pony’s way. Gotrek pulled on his beard before saying, “Fine. I’m going to check the rest of the train for these snotling fondlers.”

“I’ll back you up,” said Applejack.

“Ohhhh, a side quest. Count me in,” Pinkie said giddily.

Felix sighed in relief when the axeman stalked down the train car, checking the bodies of the fallen ponies as he went.

“Are you okay?” the question came from Rainbow Dash.

The poet winced when Twilight began to examine the wound. “Fine, great, fantastic, best day of my life in fact. How’s your wing?”

“It’s pretty sore, but I’ll be flying again in no time. And, uh, thanks for bailing me out back there.”

Felix nodded. “Does this mean we’re even now on the drinks?”

The flyer shrugged. “I guess so.”

“I’ll get Fluttershy and the others,” said Twilight. “Don’t either of you move.”

Moments later, Rarity, Fluttershy, Spike, Twilight, and the guard captain made their way into the rail car.

“Oh, you poor dear!” cried Rarity as she rushed to Felix’s side. “Are you hurt badly, Felix? What happened? Should I pull it out?”

Gently moving her friend aside, Fluttershy took a look at the injury and winced. “Oh my, this is serious. We need to get you to the hospital.”

Felix shook his head. “We don’t have time. We must get this train moving now. Ms. Twilight said you pulled thorns out of manitcores.”

The yellow pegasus nodded hesitantly, “Yes, but . . .”

The human smiled. “I trust you.”

Fluttershy looked at the poet and took a deep breath. “Everypony, hold him down. Felix, I’ll need your sword.”

The knight shook his head. “No. You can use anything but my sword.”

The veterinarian frowned. “But I’ll need something sharp to cut the fletched end off the arrow.”

“Trust me; you don’t want to touch this blade,” Felix looked at Spike. “Not with Spike anywhere near here. I’ll explain later. Just break it off, or use one of the guard’s spears.”

Twilight frowned but did not press Felix on the sword. Instead she used her magic to levitate a spear to Fluttershy’s small but steady hooves. It only took a few moments for the pegasus to saw off the fletched end of the arrow. But the vibrations sent shockwaves of pain down Felix’s rigid body.

When that part of the surgery was completed, Fluttershy looked at the guard pony. “Help me lift his leg off the arrow.”

The Captain nodded.

Looking at the knight, Fluttershy said, “Felix, this is going to hurt. I’m sorry.”

“I’m ready. Just do it.”

While Rainbow Dash, Twilight, and Spike held down the poet, Rarity held Felix’s hand for comfort.

With one great pull, the two pegasi lifted the human’s leg off the arrow. Felix gave a loud yell and clenched Rarity’s hoof tightly before fainting into unconsciousness.