• Published 28th Oct 2013
  • 1,511 Views, 21 Comments

The Inn of the Midnight Pony - Emerald Harp



When Gotrek and Felix arrive in the imperial city of Nuln, they choose the gaudiest establishment in the city to stay the night. While they are there, they are visited by a mysterious dark alicorn, who has a mission for them.

  • ...
8
 21
 1,511

Borrowed Heroes

The Lost Book of My Travels with Gotrek

My time with the Troll Slayer, Gotrek Gurnisson, was by far the most exciting years of my life. It was a time full of terror, wonder, and adventure. Even though it has been many years since that age, the memories still burn bright within my mind. How could I ever forget the wonders of the Old World in all their unblemished glory? I never would have witnessed such beauty and wonder had I not sworn my services to that great Slayer. He saved my life, so I took the oath that I’d be there to record his death in return. Those who are reading this tome must already know Gotrek did indeed meet his glorious demise with both bravery and tenacity. This was inevitable since the dwarf had sworn to seek death on the battlefield for a sin that I shall keep secret till my last breath.

However, this particular tale is not just about the Troll Slayer’s legacy. It is about one of the strangest adventures he and I shared. We traveled to a paradise inhabited by strange colorful creatures, where violence was against the land’s very nature. It was a new earth that put the splendors of the Old World to shame. We had discovered a place that anyone, from the lowly beggar to the lofty king, would be happy to call home. But Gotrek and I did not go there to be happy or build a home. We intruded upon the peaceful world in order to save it and possibly find a creature strong and cunning enough to end the life of Gotrek in glorious battle. We came because we were asked to come. That world is called Equestria.

It all began in the Imperial City of Nuln, after Gotrek, I, and several other dwarves and humans returned to Karak Kadrin, home of the dwarven Slayers. We received the thanks of the Slayer King and his people for traveling to the Chaos Wastes on a great airship. Our mission was to retrieve the legendary warrior Firebeard’s magical warhammer and rescue the survivors of the lost dwarven stronghold of Karag Dum. After we accomplished this feat, my seemingly insane dwarven companions declared a quest to kill the dragon, Skjalandir, in order to rid the Slayer King’s realm of the great beast. My comrades and I were successful; despite burying the dragon’s stolen treasure in an avalanche of stone. . . . It’s a long story. They will reach the treasure eventually. If it’s underground, then nothing is lost for too long for the dwarves, so we again won the thanks of the Slayers.

From Karak Kadrin, Gotrek and I were to travel with our other dwarven companions aboard the great airship, the Spirit of Grungni, to the lands of Kislev. However, riding all day on a dwarven contraption tends to keep even the most battle-weary warrior on his toes. I remember thanking Sigmar vigorously for getting us to Nuln when we finally touched down on the outskirts of the city. I and the other occupants wanted a few days on the ground to relax and recuperate before having to spend more time on that blasted dirigible. Gotrek and I went into the sprawling city to look for a quick job during our brief stay.

First we needed to find a place to stay the night. We were exhausted from our journey, though Gotrek would never admit it. He pointed at the first inn we came to, nodding at me gruffly to signal that the building was fine with him. To me, it was a rather strange choice. A weather-worn sign proclaimed in letters of striking violet, “The Midnight Pony.” Indeed, below the words was a painting of a dark, horned, and winged pony. The other businesses along the road seemed small and dim in comparison to the towering establishment. With the sun quickly setting, I didn’t feel like convincing the haggard dwarf to find a less outlandish inn to stay for the night. Besides, I have learned over the years to trust Gotrek’s instincts…except when it comes to combat. His greatest wish is to be slain in battle, so his instincts are always looking for a lethal fight he can’t win.

Inside we were greeted with a merry tune and a round jolly innkeeper who was most happy to welcome us. I recognized the innkeeper instantly. His name was Sonny, a retired priest of Sigmar. Sonny, Gotrek, and I had fought side by side a few months ago when Nuln was attacked by warpstone-mutated rats called skaven. The inn keeper told us that he remembered Gotrek and I fighting bravely to protect the people from the skaven menace. We said the same about him. After we exchanged pleasantries, Sonny proclaimed that we could stay and eat and drink all we wished in his inn free of charge. However, neither of us could accept such bountiful generosity, and we insisted on paying like any other customers. It was very strange talking to the innkeeper; usually our exploits go unnoticed by most people, and gratitude was not something to which the Troll Slayer and I were accustomed. As we paid for the rooms and the meal, I couldn’t help but notice the paintings of horses adorning the walls. The image of the dark-colored pony on the sign appeared in each of the paintings; often the pony was flying in the night sky. But the Slayer did not care about the peculiarity, and I was too tired to question it. What we wanted most were two rooms with two beds. After finding my room, I stripped off my chainshirt and cloak and unbuckled my sword. I fell onto the bed and almost immediately went to sleep.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The forest was dark. Felix could only see the vague outlines of trees highlighted by the moonlight. The poet looked up and tried to see the sky between the foliage to get his bearings. After positioning himself between two trees, he found the moon, and what he saw caused him to gape upwards. This moon was bone white instead of the corpse green of the two moons, Morrslieb and Mannslieb, from his familiar sky. Not only had the moon changed, but the stars themselves were different, somehow brighter. Feeling that something was amiss, Felix reached for the hilt of his crimson sword and felt nothing but his hip. The sword wasn’t with him.

Felix heard behind him, “Don’t bother looking for it, manling. I’m sure your sword is with my axe. . . wherever that may be.”

Startled, Felix spun around to see his companion, the Troll Slayer, no more than ten feet away. The one-eyed monster of a dwarf was a fearsome sight to behold with his huge fiery mohawk, along with his orange beard and eye patch. Gotrek was looking even angrier and more brooding than usual. No doubt he was missing the weight of his prized axe.

Felix nervously ran his hand through his long blonde hair and asked, “Gotrek . . . where in Sigmar’s name are we?”

Gotrek managed a slight smile that most would mistake for a grimace. The dwarf replied, “That’s the problem with your race, manling. Your kind spends so much time looking for answers in the stars that you never look down to see where your feet are.”

Ignoring the thinly-veiled insult, Felix looked down. The black grass became suddenly transparent, and through it he saw the city of Nuln from a god’s-eye view. The sudden forced shift of perception caused Felix to fall to his knees and vomit.

In-between his heaves he heard Gotrek say, “Aye lad, this view took a little bit of getting used to, but it’s not done yet.”

The image of Nuln then seemed to shift, almost like he and Gotrek were rushing downward to a particular place in the town itself. Felix’s head spun with vertigo. When the picture stopped changing, the pair was looking at the inn of The Midnight Pony. They could see through the roof of the establishment and saw themselves with their weapons in their rooms. Gotrek and Felix were lying in their feather stuffed beds, sleeping without a care in the world.

Felix looked away from the jarring image of himself sleeping. He broke the silence, “So, either we’re dead or we’re dreaming?”

Gotrek replied angrily, “We are not dead, manling. I refuse to accept that. I will not die sleeping. I will die in battle by the hand of some great monster while my teeth are in its jugular vein.”

Despite their situation, Felix chuckled, “Though the world around us doth change, my companion changeth not. It is good to know that some things are meant to endure.”

From out of the darkness behind them they heard a sweet feminine voice say, “Well-spoken, sir. I could not agree more.”

The pair instinctively whirled around to face who was behind them, reaching for weapons that were no longer there. Before the duo could react further, the voice commanded, “Calm yourselves. All will be revealed.”

Then from the shadows a gentle light appeared, silhouetting a horse-like shape. As the seconds went by, the glow brightened. Gotrek and Felix watched in wonder as a winged unicorn with a glowing horn stepped forth from the darkness. Her midnight colored coat gleamed in the moonlight, and her blue mane and tail sparkled and flowed constantly in an unseen breeze. Her being radiated majesty and power of the night eternal. Felix could not believe his eyes. She was the most beautiful creature he had ever seen. Felix had witnessed many things while traveling with the Troll Slayer, but the sight of this moon-marked being so awed him that he lost his voice.

Gotrek however, was not so overcome. But his good eye was noticeably wider than before. He pointed a meaty finger at the creature and asked, “Are you the weaver of this fantasy?”

The being came closer to the pair, “Yes, I created this dream to meet you,” She gestured with her hoof to the rest of the black forest, “I am also letting you two experience this ‘fantasy’ together.”

By this time Felix had found his voice, “Who are you . . . ma’am? And what are you?”

The being smiled at Felix, “I am an alicorn. My name is Luna, Princess of the Night. I and my sister, Princess Celestia, rule over the land of Equestria.”

Felix glanced over at Gotrek with a questioning look on his face. The Troll Slayer returned Felix’s look with a shrug. The dwarf looked around to see if there was anyone else lurking in the forest, never completely letting his guard down. Felix kept his eyes glued on Luna and sarcastically asked, “Well, my lady, what can we do for you on this fine evening?”

Ignoring his tone Luna replied seriously, “Felix, Equestria needs your help.”

At this Felix’s mouth dropped open, and Gotrek stopped looking around for potential threats. The dwarf’s head snapped back to look at the alicorn.

“How do you know his name?” Gotrek growled.

“Sonny spoke a great deal about the two of you,” Luna explained. “He said that both of you almost single-hoofedly saved an entire city from being destroyed by skaven. He has told me a lot about your world.”

Luna’s smile then turned into a thin line of determination. She took a deep breath, looked at both the human and the dwarf and said, “There is a gateway between your world and mine. I have kept this portal active for a day. Through this portal, I have scanned the dreams of everyone in Nuln, and I have found no one worthy enough to be my champions. You two, however, possess the hearts of noble warriors, and I have chosen you.”

Suddenly a cold biting wind started to blow. In the distance, Felix saw flashes of lightning and then a few seconds later heard the boom of thunder. Without a doubt, Felix knew that the storm had come for them. Gotrek was peering into the trees as well, and by the look in his eye, Felix could tell he was thinking the same thing.

Looking grim, Gotrek glanced back at Luna and said, “Our world is full of warriors. And I know there are many in the city. Surely there were other fighters more pure of heart that you could’ve picked.”

The alicorn hardened her gaze and said, “Equestria needs warriors of honor. I know that you have killed. In my world, there is no higher crime than taking another’s life—no matter how evil the creature. The countless lives you have ended is something my sister and I cannot overlook. It is unforgiveable.” At this she stamped her hoof, and the ground trembled.

Felix and Gotrek stared at the princess’s powerful display of emotion. They remained silent and waited.

Luna took a shaky breath and continued, “Despite this, there is still much goodness within both of you. You defend those that cannot defend themselves. I believe there is a greater reason that brought you to the inn of The Midnight Pony, to the very place where our worlds connect. I believe it is your destiny to help defend Equestria.”

By this point the storm had closed the distance and reached the unlikely trio. The three of them would have to shout to be heard. Luna had seen storms like this one before in dreams she had visited in the past, but not on this scale. Dream storms represented conflict and turmoil within the sleeper. She knew the next question the otherworlders asked would turn this storm into a gale. The choice they made after that could cause the storm to tear the dream world apart.

Felix was having difficulty standing; the wind and rain lashed at his face. However, Gotrek was as unmoving as a mountain in a hurricane; he only cared about what the princess said next.

Felix cried out, “What is your world’s problem?”

Luna’s horn glowed bright white and a beam of pure energy left it, entering the minds of both Gotrek and Felix. Felix watched as the night brightened into day. He could see parts of the forest he hadn’t noticed before. The trees seemed to stretch on endlessly before him. He realized that he was standing near the edge of a high cliff. The storm was gone, but so were Gotrek and Luna. Felix felt very uneasy. He was sure Luna’s magic had caused this to happen. Should he look for Gotrek and the strange alicorn? Was this a part of a vision? How could one even have a vision in a dream? Should he stay here and wait to see what Luna was trying to show him? Not knowing what to do, Felix approached the cliff edge. The poet noticed there was no wind at all. The forest around him was still and silent. He heard no noise other than his own breathing and quiet footsteps.

When Felix stood at the edge, he saw an unfamiliar land spread out before him. In the distance was a great golden and violet city, perched on the side of a mountain. Felix observed an air balloon suspended in the sky over waterfalls and forests. The poet then looked down to see metal engines pulling long boxy cars rapidly down tracks. Felix’s gaze followed the tracks and saw a town inhabited entirely by horses, unicorns, and pegasi. Each of the horses was brightly colored and happy. Felix could tell they were as intelligent as the people from his own world. The horses trotted in the town, going from building to building. They had jobs and friends and were going about their day in a peaceful manner. The scene filled Felix’s heart with happiness. The land was beautiful and utterly uplifting. It seemed so perfect.

But then the poet looked up at the sky. A sickly green meteor hurtled downward. It was the first of several. The strange meteors were all too familiar to Felix. He watched the rocks fall across Equestria in horror. He knew it was warpstone, the raw power of chaos and evil. Warpstone changed everything in a terrible way. It would corrupt anyone and anything that came into contact with it; bodies would become mutated and minds unhinged. Anyone who got near the stone would become corrupted. They would lose themselves to its dark and terrible power. Felix could smell the foul odor of chaos magic in the air. He knew that if the pieces of the meteor weren’t destroyed, Equestria would become like the Chaos Wastes in his world. The Chaos Wastes was a horrible place where mutants, monsters, and demons ruled and planned the extinction of order in the universe.

The poet knew that the inhabitants of Equestria were unprepared for a threat like this. The people of Felix’s planet had centuries to learn how to live with the threat of warpstone. These horses did not have that advantage. No, they were mere ponies. They needed warriors that knew how to fight. They needed battle strategists. They needed leaders that understood the nature of warpstone.

These ponies needed Gotrek and Felix.

Felix solemnly closed his eyes. “I understand,” he said aloud.

When Felix opened his eyes, he was back in the night-time forest with Gotrek and Luna. They were looking at him with concerned expressions on their faces.

“How do you feel, Felix?” the alicorn asked him.

Felix cautiously sat down on the cool grass. He was grateful the raging storm was gone.

“Dizzy, but I’ll live,” he said

The poet then took a deep breath and asked the Troll Slayer, “Gotrek, did you have a vision just now involving warpstone?”

The dwarf’s eye narrowed. “Aye, I saw it.”

Gotrek then turned his gaze on Luna and spoke in a bleak voice, “You and your kind are in trouble. Next to the chaos gods, warpstone is probably the biggest problem we have in our world. Where warpstone lands, there is nothing but turmoil. It infects creatures with evil and spreads like a plague. And I doubt you have anyone in your world that have dealt with this scourge like we have.”

Felix looked up at Gotrek sharply. “So, you are throwing your lot in with the ponies?”

Gotrek glanced down at Felix. “I didn’t say that, manling.”

The dwarf turned away from both of them and continued, “However, this new war intrigues me. Thus far, nothing on our realm can kill me. Perhaps death in battle awaits me in this other world.”

Luna frowned at this. “No pony has ever killed another in Equestria. Even the creatures of intense evil refuse to commit an act so vile. It is foolish of you to seek death by the hand of another in my world as well as your own. Life is sacred and precious. The ponies and creatures of my world recognize that life is a gift to be cherished.”

The dwarf turned back to look at her. He was about to make a scathing retort to Luna’s statement, but the alicorn interrupted with stern words. “Understand this. You are not going to my world to kill. If you and your companion choose to accept your destiny and the tasks before you, then you will have to accept the laws of Equestria. This means you will not take the life of another under any circumstances. To make sure you keep this law, your minds and weapons will be enchanted the moment you set hoof in my kingdom.”

Gotrek and Felix shared surprised glances. Before the two could reply, Luna continued, “You two will swear loyalty to my sister and I, and follow our commands at all times. Once you have sworn this oath you will have the authority to fight this threat as you see fit. . . within reason. If you accept these conditions and save Equestria, you both will be rewarded. If you cannot accept these rules, then we will find somepony else who will. I will not let you enter Equestria if I cannot trust you.”

By this point Gotrek was trembling with outrage. His orange mohawk almost seemed to glow with anger. He had never heard such naivety in his life. Before the Troll Slayer could say something Felix would regret later, the poet stood up and said quickly, “Gotrek, could I have a word with you?”

Gotrek turned his withering glare on Felix as he said, “Aye, manling we need to talk.”

Luna respectfully walked deeper into the shadows of the forest to give the pair privacy. She was not concerned about whether the pair would decide to help her or not. The dream storm had ended. Gotrek’s and Felix’s minds had calmed. The otherworlders had already made their choice. They just didn’t know it yet.

The Princess was barely out of sight when Gotrek let his dam of fury break. “How can we agree to such terms? Does she honestly think that those influenced by warpstone’s ruinous power will not use killing force? I will not have my mind or my weapon blunted when I need them most! And how dare that shadow creature try to tell me the Slayer’s oath is foolish! It is my right to be slain honorably in battle to atone for my sins!”

Felix patiently waited for Gotrek to finish shouting. He was sure that the princess had heard every word that the raging dwarf said. However, Gotrek’s points were valid. It was better for the princess to be aware of them.

Felix nodded, “You are right of course. How can we possibly save their land if we are bound by such restricting terms, enchantments, and oaths? Just because we fight with limitations does not mean the enemy will do the same.” He glanced up at the starry sky. “However, Princess Luna did not ask you to hold back in a fight. You are allowed to make the necessary choices of war, but not to take lives. If one were to ask me, this would be the greatest of challenges for a Slayer. To fight an enemy on nobler terms only decreases the chance of your personal victory. But it does increase the chance of your honorable demise in battle, Gotrek. Here is a new opportunity to fulfill your Slayer’s Oath, and I know this is something you have to do. I’m assuming that Luna is from another world. In that case, she doesn’t know our ways. The war on her world is a new kind of war. If you tell me that this new challenge does not appeal to you, then I will call you a liar.”

After hearing this, Gotrek looked ready to let Felix have a beating. Then suddenly he started to laugh. This laugh was a thing to behold; it seemed to explode out of his mouth. “You’re right, manling, it does.”

After the Troll Slayer sobered, Felix looked the dwarf in the eye and said, “Gotrek, I believe that this is the right thing to do. I think we need to go to Equestria and help the ponies. I don’t care how long it takes, and I don’t care if we have to swear loyalty to a couple of royal horses. You saw the vision. They can’t possibly win against the corruption of warpstone without our help.” Felix then continued with a slight sigh, “That being said though, I promised to follow you and to record your fate. The decision is in your hands.”

When Felix was done speaking, Gotrek took a deep breath and closed his eye, thinking hard. “I can’t say I disagree with you. Maybe this is all happening for a reason. Perhaps providence guided me to the The Midnight Pony so I can die gloriously fighting for Equestria. And I suppose if this is only a dream and nothing more, then we wake up and head north on the airship. We continue to fight for our own world. If this is a trap, then you get to write a poem about how I slew a few thousand talking horses.”

The Slayer paused for a moment and then added, “As far as obeying the likes of Luna . . . I am only beholden to the kings under the mountains.”

Felix gave the Slayer a pitying look and asked, “Even though you are exiled from their realm?”

Gotrek puffed up his considerable chest. “Aye, manling. Oaths mean something to dwarves. I realize that is difficult for your race to understand.” He added, “I will say this though, Luna seems to care deeply about her people. And their plight must be desperate if she’s seeking aide from a world such as ours. If Luna is who she really claims to be . . . if this threat is real, then I will stand by her and defend the defenseless. I’ll even take her damn oath.”

After Gotrek was finished, Felix smiled. He was hoping the dwarf would come to that conclusion. After all, the Old World had plenty of battle-hardened warriors who could defend it. Equestria, as far as he knew, had none. They would go where they were needed most.

“If we do this, we will have to tell the crew of the Spirit of Grungni that we won’t be going with them to Kislev,” Gotrek pointed out to Felix.

“We will leave a message with the inn keeper to give to our friends on the dirigible,” Felix assured him. “If we are swearing loyalty to Luna, then we can trust the people that work for her . . . hopefully.”

The Troll Slayer grunted in reply and called out, “Luna, you can come out now. We have come to a decision.”

The Moon Princess reappeared from the forest. She trotted up to the duo and asked, “What is your choice? Time is running out.”

Felix stepped up to the Princess and said, “You have our support, my lady. We will fight for you in this war. What is your command?”

Luna beamed proudly at the two of them and said, “It is time for you to wake up. When you are ready to depart, awaken the inn keeper and tell him ‘Moon one’s blessing.’”

Immediately the dream world began to dissolve. Felix awoke in his room at the inn. He got out of bed and quickly scribbled a message on a piece of parchment for the crew of the airship. While he was writing the message, the reality of the situation dawned on him. The poet did not know how long they would be gone or if they would come back. Leaving one’s home is one thing, but leaving one’s planet or reality is something that just should not happen. For a minute that seemed like an eternity, he revisited all of his fondest memories. He thought of his family, and his various friends and loved ones. He was forsaking them all to follow Gotrek into the unknown once again. Felix then quashed his hesitancy like a hand snuffs out a burning candle. He had said he would follow Gotrek, and now he would follow Luna. After all, a man was only as good as his word, and his word had been given. He finished the letter, donned his armor, buckled his sword belt, and slipped on his pack. The supplies in there would have to suffice. Felix didn’t know how else to prepare for a journey to a different realm. He took one long last look at the room. Here his feet were on familiar ground. Now he was about to tread where no human had gone before. It was as thrilling as it was unnerving.

Felix didn’t linger long. He opened the door to leave the room and found Gotrek outside waiting for him. They went down the stairs to the main floor in silence. It was still dark out; Felix guessed that it was early morning. The other few guests were still asleep. They found the living quarters of the innkeeper, and Felix knocked on the door. The pair heard nothing. Gotrek rolled his eyes, lightly shoved his companion out of the way, and pounded on the door loudly. They heard grumbling and a curse. A moment later a bleary-eyed Sonny opened the door, holding a lantern to see who was there.

He stifled a yawn when he recognized Gotrek and Felix. “And what can I do for you gentlemen?”

Felix said, “Moon one’s blessing.”

The innkeeper started, suddenly no longer sleepy. He nodded in grim understanding. “Ah. So you agreed to help the Princess. I expected nothing less from you two.”

He locked the door behind him and gestured to his comrades. “Follow me.”

He led them to the basement door, unlocked it, and started down the stairs.

Felix asked the retired priest, “Sonny, how long has the princess been coming to you in your dreams? Did you know she was looking for help?”

“She’s been meeting with me for about a month now. It started when I first opened this inn,” Sonny replied. “Apparently this building had been built over some kind of gateway to her world right here in the cellar. Who would have thought? I saw the gate one time when I came down here for wine for guests, but I’ve never gone through it. I know Equestria is in some kind of trouble but. . .” he sighed and shook his head. “I’m not a great fighter, and I’m not as young as I used to be. I wouldn’t be the help that they need. But you and Gotrek. . . you two are exactly what Equestria needs.”

Gotrek frowned, “So, you do trust this creature?”

Sonny looked over his shoulder and smiled. “Yes, of course. I know it sounds strange, talking to a winged magical horse in one’s sleep, but people have done stranger things. Why shouldn’t I converse with such a beautiful alicorn? She came to me out of curiosity. She had recently discovered the gateway and wanted to know more about this world.”

Sonny paused and said thoughtfully, “I believe Princess Luna is a lonely being. I think she enjoys our conversations as much as I do. She doesn’t really talk about herself, though. I haven’t learned much about the Princess of the Night. But from her manner and her speech, I know that she is a creature of good. I find her company enjoyable; she even inspired me to use her beauty and image for this inn,” he chuckled.

Sonny reached the basement floor, muttered a few holy words, and all the torches in the room burst into flame. “So far, she has visited me once a week, and I report to her anything she wants to know. Sometimes I tell her what I overhear from travelers about what is happening in the World. Princess Luna asked me to be the guardian of this gate and to keep it and her a secret. I told her I would, of course. Why would I ever tell anyone something as crazy as this?”

The group stopped in front of a plain looking door.

“What now?” Felix asked.

“Go through the door and speak the code you told me earlier. The gateway will appear then.”

As the inn keeper was about to turn to leave, he seemed to remember something. He came up to Felix and said, “Here take this; I pray it will help you.”

Sonny pressed something cold and hard into Felix’s palm. Felix looked at the object in the flickering lantern light. It was a holy symbol; it depicted the war hammer of Sigmar and the twin-tailed comet that was seen on the day of Sigmar’s birth.

“May the founder protect you and Equestria, my boy,” The retired priest said solemnly.

Felix was touched by his friend’s generosity. “Thank you, Sonny, but I can’t take this from you.”

The innkeeper waved off the poet. “I have several of them. If one is going to be a priest of Sigmar, one must always be prepared.”

Felix reached inside one of his pockets and handed the message to the former priest. “Sonny, if you would be so kind, I need you to deliver this message to our friends on that airship just west of town.”

The inn keeper took the note without looking at it and nodded. He shook hands with Felix and then Gotrek. “I know you’ll save Equestria. Fight well my friends.”

The dwarf and human murmured their thanks to the innkeeper. He turned on his heel and went back up the stairs.

Before they entered the room, Gotrek unslung his axe and held it firmly in his hands. He whispered to Felix, “Best be ready for anything that lies beyond this door, manling.”

Felix nodded and drew his crimson blade from its sheath. Gotrek opened the door and swiftly stepped inside the room with Felix following close behind him. They found themselves in the inn’s wine cellar. The room was musty with a few cobwebs hanging from the ceiling. On a whim, Felix walked over to one of the racks and grabbed a random bottle of wine. He slipped the wine bottle into his pack as the beefy dwarf raised an eyebrow. Felix then placed a small diamond in the spot where the wine had resided as payment to Sonny. It was a gem he had been awarded from the Slayer King, and Felix doubted he would need it where he was going. He knew the jewel was worth more than the wine, but he wanted Sonny to have it as a token of appreciation.

Felix looked down at Gotrek and patted his pack. “We will save this one for a special occasion.”

Gotrek just shook his head impatiently. “Are you ready now, manling?”

Felix’s face hardened with determination as he spoke the words to make the gateway appear, “Moon one’s blessing.”

Immediately the room started to glow purple from an unknown light. Streams of blue sparkles materialized and came together to form a round mirror that was as tall as Felix. At the top of the frame was an engraved symbol of a crescent moon, the same mark that was on Luna’s flank. At first the mirror reflected Gotrek’s and Felix’s images and the room around them. Then it swirled and changed into a vortex of dark blue and silvery light.

Without giving it a second thought, Gotrek walked straight into the mirror with Felix right on his heels. They instantly landed in the middle of a huge throne room. Felix almost felt like laughing. The trip through the portal was so easy, but the noise died in his throat as he beheld dozens of horses, unicorns, and pegasi. All of them were equipped in golden armor. They stood in two straight columns along the center carpet that ran the length of the throne room. None of the armored ponies seemed to be happy to see them. They glared at the pair disapprovingly.

At the end of the grand hall were two figures that carried themselves with supreme confidence. Gotrek and Felix recognized Princess Luna on the left. The pair gathered that the taller white pony must be Princess Celestia. Gotrek and Felix slowly made their way toward the princesses, their feet sinking into the lushness of the carpet. Felix ignored the armored ponies but carried himself confidently. He felt the guards’ eyes follow them as they made their way to the princesses. The atmosphere in the room was tense. Everyone in the room was on edge. Felix guessed that even though he and Gotrek had agreed to help these ponies, there was still a large lack of trust. The feeling was mutual. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Gotrek glaring back at the pony soldiers, not the least bit intimidated by their number. The dwarf’s grip tightened on his axe, ready to fight if needed.

The princesses stood on a golden-tiered platform above the floor. The human and the dwarf stopped and stood at the base in front of the alicorns. Celestia gazed icily at the newcomers. While Luna represented the night, the pair gathered that the sun-marked alicorn embodied the powers of the day. Her coat was as bright as sunlight on snow, and her ethereal mane and tail were streaked with the soft blues, greens, and pinks of an early morning sky. She was as beautiful and as regal as Luna, but her demeanor was cold and distant towards them. Luna on the other hand, gave them a small reassuring smile. Felix wasn’t sure what to do in the presence of such grandeur, but he wanted to show respect in some way. He wanted to put everyone at ease. The human sheathed his sword and got down on one knee.

“Well met, your majesties,” He said in a humble voice.

Gotrek just inclined his head to the monarchs. He did not put away his axe but held it against his chest.

Celestia spoke disdainfully, “My sister and I have discussed the issue of allowing you to come to Equestria. I do not believe that letting bloodthirsty murderers fight innocent ponies and creatures infected by warpstone is the best course of action. You could not possibly care about the well-being of my subjects. Your kind only seeks glory in battle and the spoils of victory.”

Gotrek wanted to refute the white alicorn’s baiting. He bristled with anger. The poet reached up to place a hand on his friend’s shoulder and whispered, “Please, Gotrek, let me.”

The Troll Slayer glowered down at him for a second but reluctantly nodded.

Felix looked up at Celestia and Luna and said, “Permission to speak freely, my ladies.”

Both alicorns nodded. Felix then rose to a standing position and said, “We are not bloodthirsty murderers. It is true we have slain many creatures of evil in battle. But know that in our world, this is accepted as a necessity. We are in a constant state of war because we don’t have a cure for warpstone and the chaos it produces. Maybe Equestria holds that cure, my ladies, but for us, the only way to cure chaos is to fight and kill it as quickly as possible. It is true that many people fight for glory and for payment. But I assure you, Gotrek and I do not. We fight in attempt to save our world.”

Felix could not tell if his words were making any impression on the alicorns. Their faces were as unmoving as granite. Nonetheless he continued, “If knowledge is indeed power, then against this threat we are the most powerful weapons in your arsenal. We know better than most what warpstone can do. We know how to fight against this scourge and those infected by it. Gotrek and I will save Equestria or die trying. We don’t want to see your land become as ravaged by chaos as our own world. We will follow your orders; we will abide by the laws of Equestria. We will not kill, but do not be surprised if you find yourselves surrounded with us upon the moral high ground, because I guarantee you those infected by the ruinous magic of warpstone will not care if we act by your limitations.”

Felix’s last words hit home with Celestia as he saw her eyes narrowing. It became evident to the poet that these were facts she did not want to hear. As for Luna, her face remained impassive, but she nervously shifted her weight from leg to leg.

Felix then returned to his kneeling position beside Gotrek as he continued, “You have our oaths right here and right now that if you allow us to stay, we will sacrifice ourselves if need be to prevent your world from becoming like ours. I swear to you we will not let Equestria fall into madness. Your majesties, you brought us here to save your kingdom, so let us do it. However, if you don’t want us to stay here and help you, then send us back so we may continue the war on our own world. The choice is yours, my ladies. Make the right one, I beg you.”

Felix’s words were impossible for anyone in the throne room not to hear. For ten full seconds no pony and no one moved. The royal guard was staring at the duo in stunned silence.

Celestia slowly walked down the ramp of the platform. Gotrek and Felix watched her approach, unsure of what she was about to do. She abruptly turned away from them and began to leave the room.

Luna called out, “Celestia, where are you going?”

Celestia stopped with her back to her sister. She said, “These people are your responsibility, Luna. I want nothing to do with this. Have them swear loyalty to you, but if they step out of line, I promise you I will exile them to a place that will make the moon look desirable in comparison.”

Luna staggered back, the hurt and shock evident upon her face. The sun marked alicorn left the room with haste, taking seven of the guard with her.

Luna quickly regained her composure and turned back to look at her guests. She then stated in a clear voice, “Warriors, I shall have your oaths now.”

She walked up to the pair and explained, “Since you two are from a different world, you shall be honored according to your customs. You will be knighted and clothed in the way of your own people.”

Felix and Gotrek were surprised by this, but they nodded solemnly. They hadn’t expected to be treated with such respect from Luna. The Troll Slayer joined the poet in a kneeling position.

She continued, “Do you swear to protect Equestria from chaos and obey my every command?”

Felix and Gotrek both bowed their heads and said in unison, “We do.”

“Do you swear to accept the burdens and enchantments of restraint as you follow the responsibilities of your oath?”

“We do,” they answered, although Gotrek practically growled it at the Princess.

Luna pretended not to notice. “Will you become my champions for justice? Will you guard the innocent and help the ones who need you most?”

“We will.”

Luna then bent down and gently tapped her horn twice on Felix’s shoulders and then did the same with Gotrek.

“Rise my knights,” she told them, “Rise and battle chaos wherever you may find it.”

Gotrek and Felix then slowly stood up. At Luna’s command, two of the armored ponies broke ranks and came up to the dwarf and human. On their backs they carried two beautiful midnight blue tabards with black trim. Each tabard bore a crescent moon in a cloud, the same image that was marked on Luna’s flank.

The princess of the night said, “With these tabards, I grant you authority over my subjects. No pony will question your commands. You two represent my presence in Equestria.”

At first there was silence after the duo donned their tabards. Then from the back row of mailed ponies, a stomping noise began and gained in volume. Slowly, grudgingly, the rest of the armored assembly began to stomp their hooves as well. It was a forced, disorganized show of respect the guard was giving the strangers, not an overture of applause like they would have given anypony else.

Felix awkwardly acknowledged the weak applause with a wave to the crowd. He glanced at Gotrek. The Troll Slayer was looking down at the moon image on his tabard and smiling proudly. The poet was at first surprised at the Slayer’s reaction to being knighted but then reminded himself that Gotrek was exiled from his home. To the Troll Slayer’s family and most of his friends, he was dead, and since the dwarf had taken the Slayer’s oath, he had no greater cause then to die in battle. Gotrek had not expected to become anyone’s hero or knight since then. He was an outcast. To be given an honor like this, to become a knight of Princess Luna meant a lot to both of them, especially to Gotrek.

After the half-hearted applause died down, Luna beckoned her newly knighted warriors to follow her. “Come, we have much to discuss.”

They entered a side chamber that was next to the throne room. Luna shut the door behind them. She turned to the pair and said softly, “I apologize for Celestia’s outburst. Please understand that she has our ponies’ best interests at heart. She is worried about the repercussions of allowing two worlds to cross like this. But warpstone is unlike anything we’ve dealt with before.” She paused and then brightened, “But your reply was well said, Felix. I believe that in time she will come to see that you two are the heroes Equestria needs.”

“Thank you, my lady,” Felix replied.

The midnight princess gestured for them to gather around the middle of the floor. Her horn glowed, and a spectral colored image of Equestria appeared. Gotrek and Felix scrutinized the three-dimensional model. They recognized only a small portion of the land from what they had seen in the dream.

Felix asked, “Is this a map of your realm, your highness?”

Luna nodded, “We are here at the castle at Canterlot. The two of you are needed most in Ponyville.” She gestured with her hoof to the two places marked on the map. “We have been receiving messages about how things are going from bad to worse. Apparently, one of the meteor fragments landed in the Everfree Forest, just south of the town. Our last message from Ponyville said that dozens of animals were gathering for an attack.”

After hearing this, Gotrek and Felix exchanged knowing glances.

“My lady, I believe we can handle this threat to Ponyville, but to guard your entire realm, you are going to need more than the two of us to fight the chaos warpstone will bring,” Gotrek said gravely.

Luna looked up from the map and said confidently, “You are right, Gotrek. That is why you shall join six ponies that are my kingdom’s greatest defenders. They wield and embody the magic of the Elements of Harmony. I hope that their powers are great enough that they can stop and reverse the effects of warpstone, but they cannot use this ability undefended. I’m sending you to Ponyville to protect the town and them. Find the unicorn named Twilight Sparkle; she is their leader and will know what to do.”

“We have no time to lose then, Princess,” Felix declared, “We must depart now. What is the quickest way?”

“Take the train; you will be there in half an hour. Follow the guards; they will guide you to the Canterlot train station.

And. . .” Luna looked at them seriously, “Fight with honor, my knights.”

Gotrek and Felix then bowed to the princess and quickly left the chamber.