• Published 28th Oct 2013
  • 1,511 Views, 21 Comments

The Inn of the Midnight Pony - Emerald Harp



When Gotrek and Felix arrive in the imperial city of Nuln, they choose the gaudiest establishment in the city to stay the night. While they are there, they are visited by a mysterious dark alicorn, who has a mission for them.

  • ...
8
 21
 1,511

Protecting the Innocent

The Slayer was not impressed with the mutated scum he was fighting. Other warped creatures heard the commotion and joined the fray. Thankfully, they lacked a coordinated strategy to execute the simplest of attacks. Still, it wasn’t the easiest of fights as Gotrek sported fresh cuts and bruises where the curs had made it past his axe. During the fighting, the Slayer had seen the poet rush into the burning house.

He swung his weapon, sending several mutants flying. As he did, he couldn’t help but wonder about his companion. Surely he did not turn craven because of the inbred vermin.

After another minute, the last of the mutants had fled from Gotrek’s punishing attacks. The Slayer then heard roars and the unmistakable shrieks of those in terror. The cries were nearby. A grin split Gotrek’s face at the prospect of fighting a worthy battle.
These pathetic mutants offered the Slayer no real challenge.

Before the dwarf went off in search of the monsters, he paused. Surely the manling could handle himself inside that place. The human got into that mess; he’d have to get himself out. There were others that needed Gotrek more. The dwarf ran down the dirt roads of Ponyville toward his possible doom.

Gotrek followed the noise to the center of town. He climbed a steep hill and what he saw below shocked even him.

Pinkie Pie had been turned to stone. She stood, frozen, an expression of terror plastered on her face. There were three others with her that were trapped in an alley. One was a grey pegasus that was staring into the eyes of a strange creature. It had the head and feet of a chicken with the body of a small dragon. Long wicked spikes ran down the length of its spine, and its scales gleamed an ugly black. Stone was slowly creeping up the pegasus’s legs. Near her, a minotaur was doing his best to fend off three huge dire wolves. A magenta colored pony fought side by side with the minotaur. She was yelling all the while the evil hybrid monster turned her friend into stone. Both sported vicious claw and bite marks where the mutant wolves struck flesh.

The Slayer was filled with rage as he beheld the scene before him. This was no way to die, surrounded, and unarmed.

Gotrek charged down the hill, axe held high and bellowing a dwarven war cry. The wolves took notice of his coming and tore their gaze from their cruel game. The Slayer did not falter as two of the wolves ran to meet him.

This was the chance the magenta pony and the minotaur had been waiting for. They counter attacked the lone wolf with renewed ferocity. The minotaur gave the great wolf a haymaker to the face while the mare kicked the lupine in the ribs. The creature did not go down easy as it defended itself with claw slashes and snapping jaws.

The first wolf tried to tackle the Slayer, but when the mutant hit the dwarf in the chest, it was like slamming into a brick wall. The wolf had knocked itself out with its own attack. Gotrek staggered but ran on, focusing on the second wolf.

This mutant was more cunning and let the Slayer close the distance. At the last possible second the creature side stepped the dwarf’s attack and raked its huge claws along Gotrek’s back. The Slayer grunted in pain. Gotrek had worse wounds dealt to him before and ignored the pain. He immediately hacked at the wolf’s front shoulder with a horizontal slice of his weapon. Gotrek heard the sickening crunch of bone shattering. Apparently, the magic shield around the blade could not contain enough of the Slayer’s power. There was no way the wolf wasn’t crippled. Gotrek left the mutant howling in agony.

When he reached the minotaur and the other ponies, they had the situation under control. The Slayer eyed the minotaur warily. Minotaurs, in his world, were fanatical worshippers and hatchet men of the chaos gods. To see one in Equestria did not bode well at all. He was unsure if he should attack or not. Unlike everything else he had fought today, the creature did not have the green-eyed curse. And for that matter, neither did the other ponies. The minotaur seemed to be fighting on behalf of the ponies. The last wolf had fallen under a flurry of fists and hooves, and the strange chicken snake was retreating.

The Slayer focused himself on the hybrid abomination. He refused to let that monster get away. The dwarf said a quick prayer as he threw his mighty axe after the creature.

Pony and nonpony alike watched the feat in awe as the axe went end over end, striking the beast in the back. It crumpled to the ground.

The dwarf nodded as the axe struck home and walked up to the Equestrians he had just saved. The minotaur stood protectively in front of the ponies. “Stay back or Iron Will shall squash you like a bug.”

Gotrek smiled as his earlier suspicions of the minotaur were confirmed. Perhaps this world was not as different as he thought. He stepped forward eagerly. “Be my guest, freak. It’s about time I fought something familiar. But let’s make this quick. I got things to do today.”

The magenta pony quickly placed herself between the two. “Iron Will, look at his clothes.”

Iron Will noticed Luna’s cutie mark displayed on the stunted one’s chest. He visibly relaxed.

Disappointment and disbelief flickered across the Slayer’s face. The minotaur was a subject of the moon princess? This place was surprising him every minute, and he had not even been here a full day. Gotrek turned away from them and went over to the grey pony and Pinkie Pie. Both Iron Will and Cheerilee winced at the deep bleeding cuts carved into the dwarf’s back. The blood flowed into the warrior’s tabard and dripped onto the ground.

Cheerilee spoke up. “Sir, you’re hurt. We need to get you to the hospital.”

The dwarf chuckled at the irony. “You have no clue how right you are.”

The grey pony was dazed but otherwise unharmed. After breaking eye contact with the cockatrice, she had reverted back to her old self.

Pinkie was not so fortunate. The dwarf swore under his breath. She was one of the element bearers and part of the only defense this godforsaken pastel piece of rock had. “Well, manling, wherever you are, we are in a hell of a mess now, if we weren’t already.”

The dwarf noticed the cross-eyed pegasus looking at him. “Keep staring and I’ll rip out your damn eyes,” he snarled.

The pegasus squeaked and tried to hide behind the statue Pinkie Pie. She clumsily tripped over her own hooves and toppled into the statue. The frozen Pinkie swayed eerily, tipping forward.

Gotrek swore loudly and dived for the statue. He managed to steady the stone pony and glared angrily at the pegasus.

The crossed-eyed pony cringed away from him. “Sorry.”

Gotrek was about to launch into a scathing rant, discussing just how sorry she should be when Cheerilee intervened.

“It’s okay, Derpy,” she looked pointedly at Gotrek. “It was an accident.”

The dwarf grumbled something under his breath about ponies. “My name is Gotrek Gurnisson,” he told the group. “I’m here to save you pathetic lot from this scourge of evil and shiny green rocks. Not because I want to, but because I told the blue sparkly lady of the evening I would. And this,” he pointed a meaty finger at the statue, “this thing was supposed to bring me to the hospital so I could meet with Twilight Snorkel. But, oh, no! She had to get herself killed.”

Cheerilee spoke up. “Pinkie isn’t dead. She’s just petrified.”

Gotrek eyed the pony. “Well, horse lady, she looks pretty stiff to me. Are you some kind of statue expert?”

The magenta pony stiffened. “My name is Cheerilee. I’m a school teacher.”

“Alright, teacher, how do we fix this?” Gotrek asked as he gestured to the statue.

“The cockatrice might be able to change her back,” she nodded toward the fallen hybrid mutant.

The dwarf stomped over to retrieve his axe. Derpy tentatively followed him. “If--if the cockatrice wakes up, don’t look at its eyes,” she stammered. “That’s, um, how you get turned to stone.”

Gotrek sighed heavily and picked up the creature by its chicken neck. “Yeah, I had that figured out. What’s wrong with your eyes?”

Derpy blushed, embarrassed, and spoke softly. “There’s nothing. . . wrong with my eyes. I can see fine.”

Gotrek grunted and went back to Cheerilee. Iron Will glared at him.

Gotrek raised an eyebrow. “And I suppose you have a name, too. What’re you here for?”

“I am Iron Will,” the minotaur said loudly. “Iron Will is not from Ponyville but does occasionally come here for tea and crumpets.”

“What kind of minotaur are you?”

Iron Will tilted his head to the side. “The kind who likes apple cinnamon tea.”

Gotrek shook his head and went back to ignoring the weakling.

“Allright, horse lady, what do I do?” Gotrek asked gruffly.

Cheerilee frowned. “Open the cockatrice’s eyes and have it look at Pinkie. That should reverse the effect.”

The dwarf shrugged and did as she instructed. Slowly Pinkie’s stone flesh became pink fur again. A few seconds later she was completely unfrozen. The pony gasped for air, and her big blue eyes focused on Gotrek. “Hi, my name’s Pinkie Pie. What’s your name?”

Gotrek furrowed his brow. “Don’t you remember me?”

“Of course I remember you,” a questioning look came over Pinkie’s face. “Do you remember you?”

In the distance they all heard a great roar that echoed and verberated, seeming to come from several throats at once. The cry came from over the hill which the Slayer had just charged down moments ago. The ground trembled as whatever it was came closer until it crested the hill. What emerged was a thirty-foot tall reptile with six heads. It had spotted the group and was closing the distance with a slow cruel pace.

Clearly scared, Iron Will asked, “I…I thought hydras only had four heads.”

Pinkie Pie answered, trembling, “He must have gotten into Warpstone.”

Gotrek ignored the exchange between the Equestrians. This monster would not have looked out of place in the Chaos Wastes of his world. Each head glared at them and advanced with a lumbering stride.

As the creature moved toward the dwarf and his companions, tremendous joy overcame Gotrek. This was the caliber of creature the Slayer would be happy to fight and fall to.

The dwarf glanced behind him. He saw the frightened faces of those he was supposed to protect. The memory of Luna’s oath rang in his ears at that moment.

“Will you guard the innocent and help the ones who need you most?” she had asked.

The three ponies and the minotaur were looking at the unnaturally calm dwarf expectantly. Clearly they wanted him to do something or to give them instructions.

The Slayer tossed the unconscious cockatrice to Cherilee. Without another word or thought, he charged the hydra, axe held high, and laughed manically as he ran. Adrenaline coursed through his body at the prospect of engaging such a foe.

“Come at me, monster! My axe thirsts,” he cried as he moved faster, building speed like a juggernaut.

All the dwarf’s senses became sharpened as he surged forward. He could hear the calls of those behind him and felt his hot blood trickling down his back from the wolf’s slashes. But he shut out all the noise around him and the pain. All that mattered was defeating the hydra.

Three of the six heads laughed at the sheer stupidity of the tiny thing running toward him. The other three heads gazed down in bored curiosity. The monster, in kind, increased the speed of its slow gate.

Soon the hydra was in striking distance. With one of its enormous feet, the hydra tried to flatten the dwarf. But the dwarf would not be killed in such an undignified way. Gotrek dove away at the last second and landed sprawled on his stomach. One of the heads bit at his legs, but the dwarf batted it away with a swing of his axe. A blue bubble formed around the axe blade, and the head was knocked out by the force of the blow.

The other five heads gave an angry cry of pain, allowing the Slayer time to get back on his feet. The hydra glared down at the small creature and attacked the dwarf in quick succession.

Gotrek danced out of the way of the first attack, and barely dodged the jaws of the second. However, the third head came down, and its mouth closed around the dwarf. The three ponies and Iron Will watched in horror as their savior was swallowed whole by the hydra. They observed a lump slowly go down one of the throats of the beast toward its belly.

Cheerilee could not believe Gotrek’s foolishness. She was by no means a skilled fighter, but even she knew that to attack a being such as this alone could only result in being eaten.

“We gotta save him!” Pinkie Pie shouted.

The school teacher turned and saw that Pinkie had her special party cannon and was aiming it at the hydra. A plan rapidly formed in Cheerilee’s mind.

“And we will. Open fire, Pinkie!” she shouted.

Pinkie Pie immediately shot a barrage of marshmallows at the hydra. Cheerilee had no idea how Pinkie had conjured her cannon and marshmallows, but she couldn’t focus on that now. She concentrated on the hydra, and to her amazement, the lump that represented Gotrek had caught in the throat of the biggest head.

Cheerilee gave Derpy the cockatrice. “Derpy, I need you to fly up there and try to get the hydra to look into the eyes of the cockatrice.”

A determined, yet frightened expression came over the grey pegasus, but she nodded and took to the skies with the cockatrice between her hooves.

The school teacher turned to Iron Will. “Between the two of us, we can keep it busy here on the ground.”

Iron Will stared at the magenta pony, dumbfounded. Apparently teachers were made of tough stuff. He should ask her for pointers for his assertiveness program when this was all over.

“You got it,” Iron Will replied, and the two of them ran up to the Hydra and made as much noise as they could.

The hydra was having a very tough time trying to swallow Gotrek. It could feel the morsel trying to claw its way back up his throat. The other heads were too distracted to help their brother. Two of them were eating marshmallows that were being fired. The others were trying to fend off the pony and minotaur attacks on the ground. One of the hydra’s legs had turned to stone from a head looking into the eyes of a cockatrice held by a flying pony.

To Cheerilee’s dismay, the greatest of the hydra’s heads snapped at Derpy, and the others followed suit. The pegasus dodged and weaved in the air, nimbly evading the sharp teeth. But she couldn’t keep still long enough for the hydra to keep eye contact with the cockatrice. Immediately the mutant’s frozen foot began to regain its normalcy.

Iron Will backed up several paces and with a snort, lowered his massive horns and charged the hydra’s leg. His horns sank deep into the monster’s flesh. The hydra howled in agony at the minotaur’s pinpricks.

Revenge came swiftly as the monster kicked Iron Will away. The ponies cried out as the minotaur went flying backwards, crashing through the ceiling of a nearby house.

Furious Pinkie Pie shrieked, “That’s it! No more marshmallows for you!”

She uprooted a clump of grass near her. Underneath was a cylindrical crate labeled “Jumbo Jawbreaker.” Heaving the heavy crate out of the ground, Pinkie walked over to her cannon and opened the breach.

She shoved a jawbreaker the size of a bowling ball into the cannon, “I was saving this for a special occasion. Well, this is as special as it’s going to get!”

Cheerilee turned and saw what the enraged pony was doing.

“Aim for his stomach!” she shouted.

Pinkie Pie closed the breach of her cannon and yanked the lanyard

There was a deafening bang, and a bright red ball soared by, hitting the hydra in the pit of its stomach.

The monster grasped its belly in agony. The hydra fell to its knees and thrashed on the ground. All six of the heads vomited up the contents of their stomachs. Gotrek came out covered in white sticky bile, clinging to his axe.

Relieved that Gotrek was unharmed, Cheerilee ran to the house where Iron Will had fallen.

The Troll Slayer proceeded to lay into the hydra with a vengeance. The monster was in poor condition to fight back. It was no match for the Slayer. Gotrek made short work of the hydra and bashed all six heads with his axe, rendering the beast unconscious.

After the deed was done, the dwarf faced his allies. “What are you all staring at? Never seen a dwarf covered in puke before?”

Cheerilee came up to them, supporting Iron Will. He was badly battered and bruised and one of his legs was broken. He winced, aching with every step.

Iron Will immediately felt better when he saw the puke-covered dwarf. He might’ve been tossed through a house, but at least he hadn’t been thrown up by a monster.

The ponies and minotaur gaped at the dwarf with a mixture of awe and disgust. The Slayer had lost his eye patch somewhere in the Hydra. The empty socket where his eye should have been was filled with marshmallow bile. Gotrek was scooping the stuff out of his head with a meaty index finger. Hearing no reply from his earlier question, the surly dwarf stated, “Well I have, and they were all dead.”

Cheerilee was too afraid to speak. If she opened her mouth, she might throw up herself. After a couple of deep breaths, she asked, “How did you survive?”

After untying a bloody handkerchief from his head, Gotrek proceeded to wipe the vomit off his face with it. When he was done, he answered snidely. “I held my breath and closed my mouth. I suggest everyone here do that.”

Gotrek looked over at the minotaur. “Can you walk?”

Iron Will replied through gritted teeth, “Iron Will believes he can move.”

Derpy quickly flew to the caved-in house and brought back a wooden table leg for a crutch. Iron Will nodded his approval at the pony, causing her to beam.

They heard a distant rumbling and stood still, listening.

“What is that?” Derpy whispered.

Gotrek smiled, “An army marching.”

The ponies and minotaur exchanged alarmed looks.

Gotrek motioned for the group to stay put while he climbed the hill. Pinkie Pie and Cheerilee disobeyed and followed him up. He shook his head at the stubborn ponies. When they reached the top they saw companies of mutated rats, wolves, rabbits, and other creatures. As they gazed upon this host, other changed animals and monsters were joining and swelling the army’s numbers. The horde moved slowly but with purpose and organization. Someone or something was leading the mass.

“Oh, my gosh,” breathed Pinkie Pie.

“There’s so many,” Cheerilee murmured. “Ponyville doesn’t stand a chance…”

The army was at the edge of the Everfree Forest, a sea of green eyes. Gotrek turned away from the foes and cautiously moved back down the hill. His feet were still slick with monster vomit, and he slid more than he walked.

“What did you see?” Derpy asked.

The dwarf replied excitedly, “There’s an army of mutated vermin heading this way!”

Cheerilee, Derpy, and Iron Will were confused as to why Gotrek acted like that was good news. Pinkie Pie shrugged. Maybe fighting evil was just his way of …fun?

“I’ll stay here and hold them off while you lead this lot to safety,” Gotrek muttered to Pinkie Pie.

“Are you crazy?!” Pinkie Pie shouted. “I’m not leaving you here! I’m supposed to lead you to the hospital.”

“We should stay together,” Cheerilee said stamping a hoof. “We refuse to abandon you to fight these…ruffians by yourself.”

Derpy and Iron Will nodded emphatically.

Gotrek knuckled his good eye. It was giving him fits ever since he had exited the hydra; the acid from the stomach was irritating him. Despite wanting to charge the army immediately and die fighting, Luna had instructed him to find Twilight Sparkle. And he knew that pansy pony was in the hospital the group was so keen to run to.

Well, it didn’t look like that army was going anywhere for a while. Ponyville was probably where the battle would take place. He could fight and die when the horde of mutants attacked as one.

The dwarf nodded grudgingly. “Fine. We’ll all go to the hospital. You,” he pointed at Pinky, “lead the way. And you,” he pointed at Iron Will and Derpy, “Don’t slow me down.”

The minotaur snorted, “When they point, bust their joints!”

“Take it easy, Willy,” Derpy cooed before Gotrek could swing his axe. “Gotrek’s just worried about the monsters.”

Gotrek rolled his good eye. Worried, no. Looking forward to smashing some mutant heads? Yes.

Pinky Pie bounced between the dwarf and minotaur and continued to bound up the dirt road. The rest of the group followed. Iron Will painfully walked as fast as he could and tried not to let it show how badly his leg was hurting him. Gotrek scowled. It felt like they were moving at a snail’s pace. He’d never get to the hospital at this rate.

Finally, they came to a junction.

* * * * * * * *

The sun shone brightly overhead while the Lunar Knight and Cutie Mark Crusader proceeded down eerily silent streets. No other ponies or mutuants were in sight, yet the human knew he couldn’t let his guard down. As they walked, Felix asked Sweetie Belle questions about herself. The poet didn’t want the young pony to dwell on the loss of her sister’s boutique. Also, the discussion helped Felix to keep his mind off his injuries.

“So, are there other members of the Cutie Mark Crusaders?” Felix asked as he checked to make sure there were no enemies nearby.

“Yeah, there’s Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, and Babs Seed. Apple Bloom is Applejack’s sister. They’re both earth ponies, and Scootaloo is a pegasus. Babs Seed is the head of our Manehattan branch of the Crusaders. She visits from time to time.”

The names meant nothing to him. Except Applejack. That was the pony who was injured in the hospital.

“What do you mean by earth pony?” he asked.

He had seen pegasi and unicorns, but earth pony was a new term to him.

The crusader gave Felix a disbelieving look. “They can’t use magic or fly, duh.”

He frowned, “Interesting.”

Felix held up his hand to motion Sweetie Belle to stop. He crept forward to peek around a small cottage.

As the knight did this, Sweetie Belle cringed. She realized she might have been rude to him. “I’m sorry. I thought everypony knew that. I guess you’re not from around here. Where did you come from anyway? I’ve never seen anypony like you.”

Felix waved the unicorn forward; the coast was clear. “I’m from a place called The Empire.”

“The Crystal Empire?”

“No, the empire that I come from is very far away. Another world, in fact. I was brought here by Luna to help you fight the monsters.”

The pony gasped. “Another world? No wonder you look so, um . . . different to me. What’s your world like?”

The poet shook his head. “It’s not as nice as Equestria. Let’s just leave it at that.”

Sweetie Bell paused, thinking about this. She had to trot quickly to keep up with the human. His legs were far longer than her own.

“Can you explain to me what a cutie mark is?” Felix inquired.

Sweetie Belle recited a well-learned answer. “A cutie mark is a symbol that appears on a pony’s flank when he or she has discovered their special talent. The Cutie Mark Crusaders don’t have cutie marks yet. We’re still trying to figure out what our special talent is.”

Felix considered her words as he continued to make sure the path ahead of them was clear. That explained the Princesses’ markings as well as all the guard ponies’. Come to think of it, the train conductor had a cutie mark and so had the pegasus that attacked him.

“Hey, do you have a cutie mark?” Sweetie Belle asked.

“I don’t have a mark on my body that tells me what I was meant to do. Before I came here and swore my service to Luna, I was a traveling poet. During the past couple of years I followed my companion, the dwarf I told you about. I promised him I would make a poem for him when . . . ”

Felix paused. He should not have brought up the blood oath he had sworn to Gotrek. He had no idea how to explain it to this child so he sighed. “It’s complicated, and I doubt you would understand.”

Disappointment showed on Sweetie Belle’s face. However, she did not press him on the matter. This tall two-legged nonpony was the strangest thing she had ever seen. But he was also the bravest; if it had not been for Felix . . . she did not want to think about being trapped in Rarity’s burning house alone. Sweetie Belle knew she needed to repay Felix for rescuing her, but how could she do that?

A light bulb came on in her head. She looked up at Felix and asked, “Hey, would you like to become a Cutie Mark Crusader? You know, since you saved my life and all.”

The poet smiled. “You don’t need to do that, Sweetie Belle. I am honored by the gesture. But I’m not a pony, and as you can see, I already have my cutie mark.” Felix gestured at the torn but still brilliant icon in the middle of his tabard.

Sweetie Belle gave the human a strange look. “But that’s Luna’s cutie mark, not yours.”

Felix nodded, “Yes, but since I am one of Luna’s defenders, her cutie mark is now my symbol. When I wear this tabard, I represent Luna. Do you understand?”

“Yeah, I think so. You’re like one of Celestia’s royal guards then.”

Felix nodded.

Sweetie Belle continued in a squeaky and enthusiastic voice. “That’s so cool. I can’t wait to introduce you to my friends. We can totally hang out together!”

Felix considered this. He had no idea what he would be getting into if he agreed. He knew that he would not be able to spend time with Sweetie Belle or the other Crusaders. However, Sweetie Belle’s expression made the decision for him. He happily replied, “Oh, why not? I accept.”

She jumped up and cried, “Yes! We’ll have so much fun!”

To Felix, seeing the little pony’s reaction was worth joining her club. This was the longest and most engaged conversation he’d had with a child in a very long time, and his first with a young unicorn. Sweetie Belle was much more intelligent and articulate than Felix had first assumed.

She looked down the road and exclaimed happily, “We’re almost there! I can see the hospital.”

The unlikely pair continued until they came across a fork in the road. Felix heard voices coming closer.

He whispered and pointed his sword at the ditch. “Sweetie Belle, get down.”

The unicorn was quick to obey, and a second later Felix joined her. The two laid low nervously and listened.

“Admit it, pony we’re lost, curse your flee bitten hide.”

Felix smiled. He knew exactly who was saying that.

Another replied, “Now Gotty, when my Pinkie sense tells me to take another road, we gotta take the road.”

Sweetie Belle nudged Felix. “That’s Pinkie Pie,” she whispered. Felix nodded. He had recognized her as well.

Felix and Sweetie Belle hurriedly climbed out of the ditch to greet their friends. Gotrek and Pinkie Pie stood at the front of the group. Pinkie Pie looked pleased, and Gotrek looked terrible. A sickly marshmallow stench emanated from the dwarf. Felix had to stifle a gag as he came forward. Gotrek was covered in a white, crusty layer of . . . something. Behind them were two ponies and a minotaur. Felix was taken aback by the latter. He tightened his grip on his sword. The minotaur was supported by a grey pegasus with crossed yellow eyes. A magenta pony stood next to them, watching Felix and Sweetie Belle closely. All of them sported cuts and bruises. Felix could tell the dwarf had taken the brunt of the blows.

“Where have you been?” Felix asked Gotrek. “And why do you look worse than usual?”

Gotrek jerked his thumb at his companions. “Rescuing these. I see you picked up a parasite yourself.”

Cheerilee darted forward to Sweetie Belle. “Are you allright?”

“I’m fine,” she said, hugging her teacher.

“What happened?” Pinkie asked. “Why aren’t you with Rarity?”

“I went back to the boutique to get my cape, and that’s when the monsters showed up,” she shuddered, clinging to Cheerilee’s leg. “But then Felix rescued me.”

Pinkie became serious and still. She faced the human. “Thank you. Felix.”

Felix nodded, suddenly feeling awkward.

“The boutique is gone though,” the little unicorn whispered. “Those monsters burned it.”

“Shh…” Cheerillee soothed, rubbing a hoof over Sweetie Belle’s mane. “The important thing is that you’re safe.”

Pinkie Pie beamed as Sweetie Belle looked up tentatively. “Yeah, turn that frown upside down.”

Gotrek raised an eyebrow. He turned to Felix and noticed that the human was still gripping his sword tightly.

“Relax, manling. Do you think I’d let that minotaur follow me around if he was a threat?” Gotrek muttered quietly.

Felix grudgingly sheathed his sword. “Pinkie, we still need to get to the hospital.”

Pinkie grinned. “Come on, every pony! Follow me!”