• Published 23rd Oct 2013
  • 27,593 Views, 931 Comments

How to Tell Your Friends You're Dating a Changeling - Infinite Carnage



Rainbow Dash has a confession to make. But she doesn't really know how to explain herself.

  • ...
62
 931
 27,593

Brother, Where Art Thou?

Author's Note:

Sorry for vanishing, work and all that. I've been busier than ever and at a cost my hobbies take a back burner. Here I am with another chapter regardless, a shorter one that's meant to be a connector for other story points later on. As always I hope you all like it.

As Rainbow's story came to a close, she found herself growing strangely numb. She could recall so vividly the embarrassment of the moment, yet the strength of her joy from being so close to her coltfriend. These two emotions formed a mixture that dulled all her senses. Even now it was a strange word for her. Coltrfriend; just the mention of it caused her sense of reality to falter. She felt weightless, peaceful, but dulled and mindless.

The gawking stares of her friends would ordinarily rattle her, yet she felt nothing from them. They were unreadable, shockingly neutral. They looked just like she felt. They looked at one another, each unsure who should break the silence.

"That's a mighty tall tale," AJ finally drawled out. "Kinda hard to believe."

"We have no reason to doubt Rainbow," Rarity interjected quickly. "Though I am surprised just how little I have heard about all this."

"Ain't saying she's lying. Just a lot to swallow."

"It sounded very intense," Fluttershy spoke. "I'm glad you all got out okay."

"It was no sweat," Rainbow assured her friend. "We had it all under control."

"Barely from the sounds of it," Rarity added.

"So it was a gamble, that's what makes it fun!" Pinkie exclaimed. "Put a meanie in his place and got to be a hero for a day! Sounds like it worked out to me."

"Didn't make it smart neither," AJ muttered.

"I agree with Applejack on this one. If I recognised just how dangerous that situation could get, I would have at least had the courtesy of making sure those I cared about were clear of danger."

Rainbow winced as she sensed Rarity's disapproval. Since the beginning she had been her biggest advocate, yet she couldn't argue against her stance either. She felt a growing unease as the room grew colder.

"Well I think he was brave!" Fluttershy blurted out, startling everypony. Their eyes locked onto her as she quickly hid behind her mane. Ordinarily Fluttershy would have been paralysed by the attention, yet she continued on at the same pace. "It takes a lot to stand up to ponies like the Baron. Ponies who do whatever they want because they have all the bits in the world. We all could have stopped fighting for the sake of our loved ones, but we don't because we can't let ponies get away with bad things."

It was a simple point, yet it silenced the girls effectively. In the midst of this awkward moment, all of them missed what Twilight Sparkle held in her magic. Her eyes scanned the page as she began to read what lay upon it.

"The Trottingham museum got more than it bargained for on its opening night. What appeared to be a petty act of vandalism proved to be anything but as a criminal conspiracy was unearthed in the heart of our fair city."

"The heck did you get that?" AJ barked as she pointed at the Trottingham gazette.

"Spike got it for me. He's been collecting source material while Rainbow's been speaking." With her explanation, she continued on. "Trottingham's own Baron Counter Fiet, was arrested this evening under charges of fraud. Details remain slim at this time, however what is known is the Baron was whisked away under prison carriage to the hospital with a possible concussion."

"Did that thing just say slim details?" AJ questioned. "Did those darn reporters hear a single thing back in that museum?"

"Applejack, they can't say anything definitive until anything is settled in court."

"Indeed, one risks being sued for libel that way," Rarity explained further. "Not to mention the connection to royalty, I imagine they would have to go through the palace first to print anything directly involving Princess Celestia or Luna. Better to give what details you can and split out the story over time."

Twilight turned the paper around to show her friends. The front page had a most interesting picture, the Baron was front and centre, his jaw being clipped by the forearm of who Twilight recognised as Blueberry. In the very back of the shot, Rainbow was able to make out Question Mark. There was no further doubt in Twilight's mind the identity of Rainbow's lover. She had definitely seen him in her library before and now all the clues pointed directly to him.

"Well I'll be…" AJ trailed off as she stared at the picture. "You really weren't fibbing."

"So what happened to Blueberry then?" Fluttershy asked.

"Dunno, didn't hear much about anything after," Dash confessed.

"Well thankfully, my little helper has dug up the dirt on all of that too," Twilight revealed, showing off another sheet of paper.

"Woo! Spike's on fire today!" Pinkie whooped. The tiny dragon would have appreciated it, but he was currently napping on his basket after working overtime all morning.

"Blueberry Crush reportedly left Trottingham soon after the incident and travelled to find distant relatives on the Pony/Griffon borders. Despite little prior relationship between the two, they gave her work on their farm. Funnily enough, a blueberry farm."

"Oh so that's why she was called that. Her mom must have been from there," Fluttershy surmised.

"Yes, and apparently she has revitalised the homestead with a series of berry themed slushies that are slowly making their way across Equestria."

"Good for her. Better than just roving the streets and shouting at other ponies," Pinkie added.

"Currently, Baron Fiet is in the midst of his first preliminary trial. The prosecution is confident that most of the charges will stick. The witness, Sweet Nothings is likely to get considerable time off her sentence for her confession, yet is almost assuredly set to serve at least a few years of jail time."

"Can't lie, I kinda feel sorry for her," AJ muttered.

"I don't," Rainbow grumbled.

"How come, dear?" Rarity asked Applejack.

"All her life she's been lying. Ain't no way to live. You lose yourself and everypony 'round you. Eventually, you can't tell what's real no more."

"Petty Cash was released from the ICU shortly after being emitted and has created a new lawsuit against Baron Fiet, he might win this one as well, or at least finally get a payout so Fiet can get him off his back with all his other legal issues."

"I doubt he's none better than Fiet," Aj grumbled.

"Maybe not, but maybe he had a case after all, "Fluttershy acknowledged.

"Blabber Mouth and Tattle Tale are set to serve at least ten years for their spree of robberies. They both tried to get a plea deal by ratting on the other. Coincidentally, they have both filed for divorce."

"Divorce party!?"

"No!" Everypony else said firmly to the pink pony.

"And of course there are the Wonderbolts who are still touring as usual. While no show has yet to be planned with the Shadowbolts, there have been rumors of co-training sessions to build familiarity. Lastly, there hasn't been a peep from either Gulliver or Noctis apart from what they've said on the stand, but if they're working for Princess Luna I'm sure they're alright," Twilight finished. "Counter and Sweet were the main culprits so it makes sense why they were talked about in more detail, I suspect Blueberry only has her mention because of her relation to the culprit."

"And the fact she decked him on the front page," Rainbow snickered

"Yes, that too," Twilight laughed as well.

"So that's it then?" AJ asked.

"The legal process is often slow. It needs to be in order to give all parties adequate time to deal with a case. It may take years before Counter Fiet ever sees justice," Twilight explained.

"What if he isn't found guilty?" Fluttershy asked.

"That is a real possibility. But if Princess Luna is focused squarely on the Baron, I think his chances are pretty poor, don't you?"

A thunderous growl emerged across the room. The source, Pinkie's stomach, was joined quickly by Rainbow's and then AJ's. Everypony stared at one another in shared acknowledgement of their next course of action.

"I think a snack break is in order, don't you all agree?" Rarity teased.

"Woohoo!" Pinkie cheered. "I'll be right back!"

In the space of roughly three seconds, Pinkie Pie leapt out the nearest window and back through said window, now with a freshly baked pie for each of her friends. Twilight felt the logical parts of her brain strain against what she witnessed, but suppressed her urge to delve further into the impossible mystery of her friend.

For a moment, there was normalcy amongst the mares. There were no uncomfortable talks over the love of the enemy, nor recounting a yarn about finding the one you'd given your heart to. It was like before; the six of them against the world. Rainbow was thankful for the respite most of all, as she knew the next part of her story would be the hardest to tell.


Athena had not been home for some time. It had been so long in fact that it felt less like she lived there, and more that it was a place of occasional refuge. Regardless she did not care for it, and would avoid any chance she got to return. Extra shifts, nights over with colleagues and friends, her time away had made her more fearful than ever of stepping inside this place. Yet she had no reason, no excuse, to avoid it today.

A ling's home was created by themselves. They were given a section of the hive to carve out as they pleased and make it their own. In a way they were more like a series of apartment blocks stacked upon one another, each a unique design and placement. As long as one did not dig into their neighbours' lot, there was peace, and some did so intentionally to invite them over for a drink.

She stepped inside and was greeted with the familiar scent of lavender. To most a pleasing smell, yet that too she had grown to loathe. It brought back bad memories. The door creaked loudly and she knew already that she had been heard. Footsteps approached swiftly and she took in a sharp breath as a pair of forearms enveloped her.

"Welcome home," Her mother spoke softly. Rhea pressed against her tightly, threatening to crush her carapace. "Where have you been?"

"Working, mother."

"I got that part, but all day everyday?"

"It's a demanding job, Mother."

Rhea let go and stepped back, marveling at her daughter's growth. She had only one litter of eggs, and only two survived. Rhea had been content with this though, opting to spoil her children rotten as her husband disapproved.

"Your brother will be happy to see you," she said.

"... I'm sure he will," Athena said softly.

The Guard Captain looked past her mother and into the living room, it remained the same as before. A picture of her deceased father, the only one remaining, lay at the top of the mantle. Surrounded by numerous pictures of her and her brother. The rest of the room was sparsely decorated, only for basic comfort. They would tell visitors that they liked to keep things simple, the truth was they had no money for anything nicer. Even with Athena's sizable pay, her own Mother had come to believe in the lie.

"Are you staying for tea?" Her mother pried.

"I don't know."

"Oh?"

"I might be meeting someone," she replied unsure of herself. She felt the letter tucked into her breast plate. It said to meet at 4pm, she had only half an hour to decide if she had any chance to make it on time.

"Well before you go, say hello to your Brother," she lingered for a moment, before quietly adding "please."

She shuffled away towards the kitchen. Athena sighed heavily, knowing full well there was no getting out of it now. She breathed through her teeth and held her breath in before heading towards the downstairs bedroom. The door was open, it nearly always was, not that the ling inside would ever leave on their own. It was just Mom's way of saying that visitors were always welcome to say hello.

Athena poked an eye over the door frame and there he was, her little brother, looking outside the window. Yet she knew he never saw anything, never took the sight in. She wondered if he could tell anything apart at all.

"Hey," she said softly. He did not respond.

She stepped inside and observed the meager, childish surroundings. His physical body had long outgrown the room with his gimmicked bed, the pinned up drawings on the wall, the baby blue curtains and the old toys on the floor. Athena never saw the point in them, it's not like he would ever play with them again.

"How are you?" She began, rehearsing a story she had told a thousand times over. She took the open chair that always remained beside him. "I'm doing well, I left work early for a change. It's been a long day."

Her brother continued to stare out the window. Sometimes she could look past the dead eyes, the drool from his mouth, the hole in his head, and see the lively little ling that bounded around the house. Yet she would always be dragged back to reality. She might as well be speaking to a ghost.

"Is the weather treating you well? I think I saw mother take you out for a stroll once or twice during my patrols. The fresh air must be good."

The ghost did not respond. He was simply there, or wasn't at all, depending on one's viewpoint. Athena carried on anyway.

"I don't know if she's dared to take you beyond the hive yet. Even on her own she wouldn't even go near the border anymore. It's been years since I did too. You remember? When I was still in training, the final drills took place in the Everfree. I can scarcely remember what the wind felt like or the sun against my carapice. I nearly froze the moment I stepped outside…"

Then she paused, paused longer than she had meant to. Her brain struggled against something. An insidious memory crawling in her brain. Everytime she would push it back down, but not here. Never here. Only here would it flourish, would she vent about it, would she let it take her over.

"Speaking of… I've been thinking of that day a lot lately. I keep looking to the future, and I hate how much it's rooted to the past." She could see the fields, her Mother's warnings to not stray too far, her brother laughing and taking one step too many. "I keep thinking what would I be if not for that day? Would I have travelled? Got into cooking? Would I have ever joined the guard?"

She can see the stranger in the distance, a frightened hunter of the many pony tribes with too itchy of a trigger hoof. The bolt leaves the crossbow, and history is forever cemented. She kicks at her own chair in frustration, after all these years, Athena could never stop herself hitting something when the moment crossed her mind.

"Then when I doubt it I think about what you should have been. You could be anything you wanted, everything I wanted and more, and then I remember why. Why I wanted to defend our home, lead a conquest on those who hurt you… but that's a fantasy. I'm stuck in a castle, looking after a monarch who's biggest problem is what he has for breakfast that morning. The same monarch that keeps us hidden against those who would oppress us." she spat the words. "Maybe Chrysalis wasn't wrong about everything."

If any Ling, no matter their position, heard her speak the way she did about Daedalus, she would not have a job the next day. This was her safe place. Her brother who would never judge or question her words. He was her own personal therapist.

"You must be so bored of my stories, you've heard it all before," she sighed. "I never know what else to say. I know you can hear me, but you can't register a thing I've said. You're not even my brother anymore. Just a thing, a lump of flesh mother keeps around for comfort. Everytime I look at you I get sad, then I get angry. So angry. I can't hold it down much longer, I can't hold onto this burden."

She reached for the letter, still tucked away safely. She dared not bring it out again, not even here, but she felt for its texture, she found herself more and more assured and what she was about to do next. She got up from her seat and pressed her snout against the lifeless form of her brother.

"I have something to do, I do not know what is to come of it, but even if it is nothing, I will never forget what they did to you. I will never forgive what they took from me and Mother. I will not forget who you were. I will carry that toward whatever comes next."

Quickly she left the room. She knew she had to or she might break, she spared one final glance to her Brother, still staring out the window. Then she moved with purpose towards the kitchen, knowing she could delay not longer. In reality she still had plenty of time, but whenever Athena had a task or goal in mind, no force could slow her from reaching it as swiftly and efficiently as possible.

"I will not be staying," she announced as she stepped inside.

Rhea looked up from her meal prep. That was an instant look of disappointment, quickly masked away by motherly concern. She stepped away from the counter and approached her daughter carefully, almost as if she were walking up to a dangerous animal.

"You should eat something," she suggested.

"I eat everyday."

"How many times a day?"

"That's none of you concern-"

"I am your Mother. Of course it's my concern. Would it really be so bad to spend one meal with your family?"

Athena bowed her head in shame. She had been neglectful, she knew it to be true, but found it difficult to accept that truth. It fought against her distant nature, her pride, to treat her own blood this way. Yet even after all this time she struggled to be alone in a room with any of them for too long. She had cousins she had not seen in nearly a decade that she used to play with any chance she got. Now they were strangers.

"I'm sorry, I have somewhere important to be?"

"Is this work related?"

Athena could never outright lie to her Mother. At best, she could get away with half-truth's or vague answers, which only amplified her deceit. "It's somewhat related to work, an offer I got at the end of my shift."

"Are you meeting up with friends?"

"I do not know inherently if they are friend or foe, just supposedly they are like-minded."

"They don't exactly sound friendly," her mother dryly commented. "Well I can't exactly force feed you like you're an infant, as long as you have love in your system, that will have to do. Just be careful, okay?"

Rhea turned away from her daughter and returned to her prep. Athena hesitated before she left, casting an eye between her mother and the front door. While her back was turned, Athena snuck up behind her mother and hugged her tightly.

"I'm sorry," was all she said.

"I know," was all her Mother had to say back. "I love you."

"I love you too."

Athena let go and walked towards the front door. She felt for the letter, knowing now was do or die. She gave one last look toward the kitchen and doubt settled in, maybe it would be best to just stay for dinner after all? Yet Athena was a ling who could never help but wonder, what if? And if she didn't go today, she knew it would add another question she would wonder about for the rest of her life. She swallowed the lump in her throat and stepped out the door, hoping she would not regret what she was about to do.


The snack break was over and Rainbow Dash had returned to the most important part of their story, just as Daedalus had reached the same point as well. The train rolled back into Ponyville just as he emerged. Judging by the sun it was mid-afternoon and it didn't take the King long to spot Question, Rainbow and Scootaloo exiting the carriage.

The rest of their holiday had been a memorable one. Scootaloo remained with her parents for most of her birthday, giving RD and Quest plenty of alone time. The pair had explored every inch and corner of Trottingham. It had gone so well that Rainbow even found herself musing on the idea of living there someday. Though Question was less enthusiastic about the premise, muttering about a promise of 'never going backward.'

It had also been refreshing for the young couple to not have to hide their relationship anymore. They were able to walk down the streets, tail within tail as the rest of the world was none the wiser. Even if some knew who Rainbow Dash was, she had learned long ago that most ponies seemingly didn't care. That was enough for her. It took all her willpower to avoid pressing herself close to Question as they stepped back into town. She focused on her surroundings, fully expecting to see Pinkie with a welcome home party just for her. Yet the pink pony was nowhere to be found, neither were any of her other friends. For once, they must have been too busy to greet her.

Scootaloo was another factor. Before they returned home, Rainbow had taken her little sister to the side and explained that she was keeping her relationship with Question 'low-key' and wanted it to remain that way. When Scoot asked why, Dash struggled for an answer. Why was she so afraid? The question had bothered her since they departed. The only answer she could gleam was she was afraid it all might end before she knew it, and wanted to minimise the shame and disappointment.

"I've actually missed this," Question mused.

"Missed what?" Dash asked.

"That smell. Clean, countryside air. Nothing like it. I don't miss the smog back home."

"It wasn't that bad."

"Trust me, when you live there long enough, you can smell nothing else."

"You're not the only one," Daedalus commented as he joined them. "Not exactly the most pleasing of odors."

Rainbow gave Question a nuzzle, before quickly correcting herself and checking if anypony saw. She couldn't help herself, these displays of affection were so unlike her, yet they felt like nothing else. It wasn't a rush like soaring through the air, it was warm and humbling. She felt safe, secure, and most importantly of all; happy.

They had grown so much closer. Yet she could not deny there was still something in the way. They had hashed out his behaviour during the mystery, even to the point where they could laugh about it now. However, the moment at the alleyway still preyed on her mind. It was such a dark reaction to such a dreary place, yet so unlike Question Mark. There was anger, shame and dread behind that stare. She had prodded him about it, but he spoke no further on the matter. Either he would pretend to not understand, or ignore her entirely.

"You got everything from the train?" His query snapped her free of her daze. She initially thought he was talking to her, till she noticed his attention on Scootaloo.

"Yes sir!" She saluted as she tugged at her saddlebag. "Everything is accounted for."

"Good, you heading off?"

"Yeah, gonna meet up with Sweetie and Applebloom. They're gonna be so jealous!" She pulled out the front page article of their adventure, Scootaloo was just visible in the frame of the photo.

"I bet they will," he smiled back.

"Also I've got a new idea for a cutie mark!"

"Uh oh, it doesn't involve bees again, does it Squirt?" Dash asked hesitantly.

"Nah, just magnifying glasses and smoking pipes. CUTIE MARK CRUSADER SUPER SLEUTHS YAY!" She screeched as she ran away from the station, waving them goodbye in the distance.

"You're too young to smoke!" Question bellowed.

"Back in my day, they would give you a pipe moments after you hatched," Daedalus chuckled. "Had to stop that after all the fires." He stopped laughing, grimacing at the memory. There had been a lot of fires.

"Don't sweat it, they're probably just gonna use the ones that blow bubbles… probably."

"Probably?"

"What can I say?" She shrugged. "They really commit to the whole bit."

Question Mark narrowed his eyes towards the spot Scootaloo used to be. He focused on the last image he had of her, the way she beamed up at him. It was night and day compared to how she first regarded the Detective. He smiled at that.

"Don't tell anyone I said this, but it's kinda cute," Rainbow whispered.

"What is?" He whispered back, genuinely clueless.

"C'mon, you really didn't notice?"

"No, I mean I think she likes me now if that's what you're referring to."

"It's not just that. She doesn't just like you, she wants to be like you."

"... I don't smoke."

"Not like that," she chortled, punching him lighting in his foreleg. "When she looks at you, it's the same way she looks at me. You're kinda like her hero."

"Never been called that before," he grimaced. "Never thought I would be either."

"You should be. You've done more good than you know," Daedalus muttered.

There was an awkward pause that took both of them off-guard. Not only did Rainbow not know what she could say after a statement like that, but now they were back in town the only natural course would be for them to go their separate ways. She did not want to. She looked around the station, nopony was paying her any mind.

"Hey, did you wanna come over to mine tonight?"

Her words broke Question free from his slump. He smiled and went to say yes, when suddenly he felt a chill travel through his spine. His fur stood on end, his stomach twisted in a knot, his heartbeat quickened and he knew instantly what was happening. He was being watched. This was not a changeling's instinct, this was a detective's intuition. He had felt this way before, when someling took ill of what he was doing and went to shut him up. His eyes darted about but nopony stood out as obvious. There were only a few souls hanging around the station and all of them were definitely typical residents he had seen before.

"Heeellllloooo? Earth to Quest!" Rainbow waved a hoof over his face, trying to get his attention.

"What?"

"You zoned out there."

"Right, sorry," he muttered, still paying her little attention.

Rainbow was not the only one to notice her coltfriend's sudden shift in mood. Daedalus looked over his subject with caution. He noticed his attention was everywhere but Rainbow and he attempted to follow his line of sight, but could see nothing of note.

"So that's a no then?" Rainbow prodded further, starting to feel a little frustrated.

"That might be best. I'm not quite in the mood tonight. Think I'm just… tired." It was still there. He could feel eyes on him. He had to break away now. "I'll talk to you later." Quickly he pecked her on the cheek, so fast that unless you were paying attention you would have missed it, and took off without much more or a goodbye.

Rainbow watched him walk away. Her eyebrow raised and rubbing the spot where he had kissed her, she was annoyed to say the least. However, she understood the need for alone time, and she could do with a nap herself, so with a shrug she shot into the air and back to her home. Question felt a gust of wind strike him from where Rainbow had taken off. He kept walking and no matter how far he got, he knew in the pit of his soul that he was still being watched. He took the slow route back to his humble abode. Daedalus was not the only one to follow him. Another stood in the distance, always just out of sight.

Comments ( 8 )

Damn, this is good. Can't wait for the next one!

God… I remember finding this late 2020, about a week after ‘another one bites the dust’ was published. Loving it so much.

My only problem is that I know it has to end eventually and we’re getting close to that ending. :fluttercry:

I have to say that this has been quite an enjoyable read so far. Can't wait for what's to come!

11203293
I mean, have you seen some of the fanfictions on this site? Murder ain't that far off

oh thank God. I found this last week and just finished up to now. I saw you introduce Athena last round and went "hmm that's weird to introduce someone that close to the end but whatever..." Yay this is still an active story!!

I was really excited to see this story come back to life but resolved that I would not get back into reading it until it was good well and done. I come back all this time later to see if it was ever finished just to be disappointed that, no, it just died again. Sucks.

Interesting story so far. Would like to know if/when it gets updated.

Login or register to comment