• Published 30th Oct 2013
  • 673 Views, 21 Comments

Beginning of Autumn - MagicTypingPony



A story about a young unicorn colt who is pressured by his family to become the next alicorn by his father and other ponies around him. The story begins at Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns.

  • ...
2
 21
 673

Chapter 5

Autumn slowly opened his eyes, and was met with a white blur. He blinked a few times while he waited for his vision to refocus. He could hear two ponies talking, but their voices were muffled. His vision cleared, and he noticed that he was in a white room with medicine cabinets all around him. Autumn's ears twitched as he started to regain his hearing. The two ponies were Nocter and Maple, and they seemed to be arguing at the end of his bed. “Do you know what he’s done?” Maple said getting frustrated.

“Fainted?” Nocter said giving a slight shrug.

“No. He's just embarrassed the entire school in front of the princesses!”

“Why would they care if one pony got a bit nervous?”

“You call this ‘A bit nervous'?!”

Autumn pulled off the sheet covering his body and sat up in the bed. Nocter and Maple turned, both slightly surprised to see him up. “You're awake.” Maple said, stating the obvious as she blushed slightly.

“W-What happened?” Autumn asked rubbing his head.

“You passed out on the stage, there was a bit of a herd so I couldn't get to you. Princess Celestia and Twilight brought you here.” Nocter answered.

“Where is she?”

“She had to go. Something about Princess duties and how she was needed back at the castle. But Twilight is still here.” Maple responded.

Autumn blushed and pulled the blanket over his head, “Get out from under there.” Nocter said, trying to pull the sheet off his friend. “Come on Autumn, it’s not every day that the princess herself decides to help a student.”

“Why did you faint anyway?” Maple asked.

Autumn turned his head away and didn't answer. Maple gave out an annoyed huff, “Well you're awake and that’s all that matters. Go outside and apologize when you grow a pair!” she yelled, storming out of the nurse’s room.

“She really doesn't like me.” Autumn stated.

“No, she definitely does not.” Nocter sighed as he shook his head.

“Okay…I feel better now, I’ll go out and apologies.”

“Dude, you got nothing to be sorry for. Just go out and say you’re okay.” Nocter said patting his back. Autumn nodded, trotted to the door and gently opened it. He peeked out and saw the Princess Twilight on a chair in the waiting room. Autumn closed the door quietly and started to crawl back towards the bed. Nocter gave him an annoyed glare, rolled his eyes, opened the door wide and turned to Twilight. “He’s ready for you now.” Nocter said as he trotted past the purple alicorn.

Twilight stared at Nocter as he passed, then looked through the doorframe at the brown shy unicorn. Autumn blushed and hid under the blanket, Twilight gave a small smile and trotted in. “Are you…okay?” she asked gently.

“Y-Y-Yeah…I-I’m fine.” Autumn said under the bed sheet.

Twilight felt awkward by how the colt acted towards her, “Ummmm…Well….” Twilight was struck with a sense of nostalgia with Autumn's shyness. She gave him a warm smile, "H-hey there's no need to be scared....I understand how stressful something like this can be."

“Y-You can?” Autumn said quietly as he peeked out from under the covers trying to image Twilight stressed out and fainting.

"Of course~....oh, I never got your name by the way?

"Ummm....A-Autumn....A-Autumn...Mist." Autumn answered shyly.

Twilight gave him another smile, "It's nice too meet you Autumn."

Autumn Blushed bright red at her kindness, "…T-Thank you for…b-bringing me here…”

“Your welcome, I hope you feel better soon~” Twilight said giving him a soft smile and trotting out the door.

Autumn pulled himself out from under the covers and looked at the clock above one of the medicine cabinets, “Three pm,” he said to himself getting out of the bed. “I should get going home…and stop talking to myself…” Using his magic, Autumn grabbed his saddle bag, threw it onto his back, and ran out the door.

--

Autumn walked out the front of the school, and saw his mother standing next to their carriage. “Autumn!” his mother called out, waving as she spotted him. He nodded and quickly ran over to her.

“How was your first day?” she asked, her magic opening the carriage door for him.

“It was…interesting…I guess.” he said climbing inside.

“I heard that Princess Celestia visited? Did you get to meet her?” His mother asked eagerly as she climbed into the carriage after him.

“Kinda...I didn't get to talk with her though...” he said as the carriage started to move.

“What a shame, but I’m sure you’ll get to talk with her one day.”

Autumn stayed silent throughout the whole trip. They stopped as one of the servants opened the door for his mother. She hopped out, and Autumn followed close behind her. As they approached the house his mother was greeted by a young mare with bright yellow eyes, who opened the front door for them. She bowed to Autumn's mother, who just walked past her as if she didn't exist. Autumn walked up to the maid as she raised her head. “Master Mist,' she asked. “How was your day?”

“I-It was fine, thank you.” he replied in a monotone voice, trotting into his home as his mother headed into his father’s study room.

“Master? Is everything alright?” The yellow eyed maid asked, following him into the house.

“Y-Yes…everything is fine.” Autumn responded quietly as he walked up the stairs, his various thoughts swirling around in his skull.

Autumn entered his room and closed the door behind him before crawling into his bed. He slipped under the covers and curled himself up into a ball. Tears slid down his face, and he began to cry quietly, ‘Why am I crying?' he thought to himself. 'I have no reason to be upset. I was just pathetic, as I always am. I ruined my chance to talk with the princesses…I made a fool out of myself in front of the entire school. Why did I have to be born? I hate my family. I hate this house. I hate my life.’

Autumn lay under the sheets for what seemed like an hour. His ears perked up when he heard a knock on his door, “Master Mist?” said the young mare's voice from outside his room, “Master Mist…Are you in there?”

Autumn didn't answer as the maid knocked again, louder this time. Autumn covered his ears and tried to ignore the sound of the outside world. “Master Mist!” yelled the young mare again, her voice filled with concern.

“Go away…” said Autumn quietly from under the sheets.

He heard the door open and hoof steps approach his bed. He remained motionless, thinking that the maid wouldn't notice him if he stayed still. “Master Mist...” said the voice gently as the covers were gently pulled off Autumn's quivering form, his eyes still wet with tears. Autumn craned his neck and gazed up into the concerned pair of familiar yellow eyes that looked down on him.

“Master Mist? I-Is something wrong?” she asked, trying to comfort trembling colt.

“…N-No…I-I don’t think so…” Autumn said, turning away to wipe his tears.

“Then why are you crying?” she asked him benignly.

“I…I don’t know...Umm…w-what's your name?” he asked quietly, looking back up at her.

The maid returned his look with soothing eyes. Her lips turned into a sad smile, “Master Mist…I am but a humble servant of the Pure Magic Blood family. My name is unnecessary.”

“B-B-But I want to know you're name. I want to know who you are.” he said attempting to sound brave.

The maid let out a sigh and nodded her head, “Very well…My name is Vigil Heart.”

Autumn smiled, “T-T-That’s a pretty name.”

“You're too kind, Master Mist. Now your mother and father wish to see you downstairs.” Vigil said, as she helped out of the bed and cleaned him up to go downstairs