• Published 10th Oct 2013
  • 1,767 Views, 61 Comments

The World's Greatest Team of Six - CassandraMyOCisBestpony



Twilight's obsession with Pokemon reaches critical mass when her spell goes awry, trapping her and her and friends in the Pokemon world

  • ...
3
 61
 1,767

Sheer Cold, Part 1

"Spike? You in there?" The young dragon awoke from his uneasy slumber to a knocking at the door. He found himself slouched over in the study, with Angel and Owluiscious snoozing on his lap. From the night prior, he remembered sending the letter to Celestia, then vowing to stay awake until the reply came.

"Go away!" he called back, "the library's closed!"

"It's me, Shining Armor, I'm coming in."

"Let me guess, you're here to tell me to stop worrying and stop wasting Princess Celestia's time."

"No Spike. You did the right thing by calling for help. It's not weak, it's smart. Now what can you tell me about this?"

"Not much. She brought all her friends over to show them some project she'd been working on, and when I checked on them, they were all gone! I've talked to all their friends and family and nopony's seen them."

"And this project, what was it exactly?"

"Some game she discovered in the Mirror World. She was spending all her free time reading books about it. I kinda tuned her out whenever she started talking about it" he said sheepishly, "it was like chess only a billion times more complicated. Not for kids, that's for sure. A couple weeks ago, she said she had an idea of how to bring the game into our world. She disappeared into the basement, and didn't come up for anything but meals and the bathroom."

"That does sound like Twily" chuckled Shining, "once she gets started on a project, it's blinders all the way until she's finished. Can I see her progress?"

"That's where it gets really weird. The only thing she made, was this." He handed Shining Armor the game cartridge

"She spent all this time making one game piece?"

"She said that that was the entire game, all the information was packed in there. Like how you can know all the facts in a book, even if the book is a lot bigger than your brain... there were a lot more big words when she explained it to me, but I think that's the important part."

"Weird. Can't say I get what exactly it does, but this tiny plastic square... I just have a sense that you should keep it safe. Now what say we get out of here and get some lunch at the palace in Canterlot?"

"You don't mean the castle?" gushed Spike, his eyes sparkling.

"I've arranged for you to stay at the castle's most deluxe suite for as long as you need. Huge bed, huge room, private bath & pool, and you can have whatever you want for breakfast, lunch, and dinner."

"Thank you Shining Armor! Thank you, Thank you! I don't know how I'll ever repay you for all this!"

"Spike, please, After all you've done for my sister Twily, this is nothing. We're gonna get her back, I promise"

"Shining?"

"Yes Spike?"

"Do you think you could set up something for the pets too? They miss their masters a whole lot, even if some are too proud to show it." He smiled at Angel Bunny.

"Of course, Spike.

*****

The Kanto-travelling ponies had arrived at Viridian City. Following Professor Oak's advice, they immediately headed for the distinctive red-roofed building, the one he had called a "Pokemon Center." The oasis for all weary trainers, the Pokemon Center offered a place for them to relax, and cutting-edge medical technology that could get any wounded Pokemon back on its feet and fighting-fit in no time. Professor Oak had called around to all the region's Centers and gotten special permission for the ponies to stay the night free of charge.

"Look, that's one of 'em teller phones!" said Applejack, pointing to a row of partitioned video-phones, "Th' professor said we could talk ta him with it! Now we just gotta put in th' secret code. Maractus, if you'd be so kind." She recited the professor's phone number to her Pokemon, who tapped the keys for her. After a few seconds, the professor's face appeared on the monitor,

"Oh, hello again Applejack."

"Hiya professor! We're callin' ya from Viridian City.

"Wonderful! Right on schedule. I trust you didn't encounter any problems."

"Not a thing, Fluttershy here even won a battle!" Fluttershy turned away and blushed.

"Well, I'm glad you called, because I have some news for you about your three friends."

"Are they all right?" asked Fluttershy nervously.

"They were taken captive by Team Aqua, but they escaped by leaping right out of the sky... I assume they had a parachute."

"A rainbow-colored one" quipped Pinkie Pie.

"I'm so glad they're safe" said Fluttershy.

"Professor, just who are these 'Team Aqua' guys?" asked Applejack, "an' where did ya hear all this?"

"They claim to be an environmental organization, but I've had my doubts, and this new development confirms them. A few years ago, I enlisted..." he leaned into the screen and whispered, "...an informant to infiltrate Team Aqua and report their activity to me. You'll understand if I don't divulge this person's name."

"Of course we do! Losing a friend's trust is the fastest way to lose their friendship FOREVER!"

"Jolly good then. As far as I know, their activities are confined to the Hoenn region, so it's unlikely you'll have trouble with them. But be careful all the same. Anything else?"

"Viridian City's got one of 'em Pokemon Gyms, don't it? Know anything about the gym leader?"

"I know all about him, he's my grandson Green."

"He must be really good if he's got a Gym." said Fluttershy.

"He is. But unfortunately, you won't be able to challenge him right now. You see my grandson is a very proud young man, and he won't take challenges from anyone who hasn't collected the other seven badges."

"What a meanie-pants!"

"Maybe, but frankly you're far from being ready for it. Inexperience aside, he'll be using a full team of six Pokemon, and you three don't even have that many between yourselves."

"Fair point. Is th' Pewter City Gym a good one to do first?"

"It's the perfect one for beginning trainers. Brock uses rock-type Pokemon, so I'd advise that Applejack or Pinkie Pie take the mantle on this one."

"Neither of us has even had a trainer battle yet, and ya want we should take on a gym leader?" said Applejack bewilderedly

"That's the long and short of it. Now I must get back to my work, so I'll see you around." The monitor went black.

*****

"Magnemite, use Thunderbolt!"

"Sableye, no!"

On the display screen, Sableye's picture flickered out, indicating that it had fainted.

"Ohohoho!" chuckled Wattson, "brilliantly done, Magnemite!"

"No matter," said Rarity, "Sableye return! Timburr, I choose you!"

"Timburr!"

The Mauville City Gym Leader took the first move, "Magnemite, use Tundershock!"

"Timburr, Rock Throw!" ordered Rarity. Timburr threw its beam at Magnemite, not damaging this tough steel body greatly, but distracting it enough to lose sight of the small Pokemon and miss with its attack.

"Now use Wake-Up Slap! Elevate yourself!" Timburr quickly recovered its weapon and planted it vertically in the ground. It leapt onto the beam, putting itself face-to-face with the levitating Magnemite. It launched the ordered attack, sending Magnemite tumbling to the floor.

"Good show, very good indeed! But I've got one more Pokemon left, and believe me when I say it's shocking!" He laughed at his own joke. "Manectric, let's finish this!"

"Mannnnnectric!"

"Manectric, use Spark!"

"Timburr, Bulk Up!" Timburr stuck its board of wood out in front of it, and met the attack head-on, shuddering from the electricity.

"Manectric! Thunderbolt!"

"Timburr, Bide!" said Rarity, with a grin. Timburr sat down cross legged and began to meditate.

"Nice try, little lady, but I've that trick before. Manectric, use Charge!"

"Oh dear" murmured Rarity as the lion-esque Pokemon stood resolute, static coursing through its fur. "Er, Timburr, cancel Bide! Dodge! Do something, I don't know!"

"Now Manectric, Discharge!!!"

Manectric roared as jagged forks of lightning emanated from its body, all converging on Timburr. It opened one eye just as the attack landed.

"TIIIIIIM!!!" it cried as it bore the brunt of the Electric attack. It flopped onto the ground, smoking and defeated.

"Ohohoho! Well fought, Miss Rarity, but the battle is mine." He shook Rarity's hoof. "You did well, so don't you get discouraged."

Outside, she reconvened with Twilight and Rainbow Dash and they made their way to the Pokemon Center.

"So how'd our first gym battle go?" inquired Twilight. Rarity just shook her head with a wistful smile.

"It's all right, they're difficult. I'll be sure to capture another Pokemon so that I can do the next one." They arrived at the Pokemon Center, and while Rarity went to the nurse's counter to get her Pokemon healed, Twilight and Dash found a vacant table where they could sit and rest their hooves. Rainbow Dash was absentmindedly flipping through a pamphlet lying on the table.

"Come see the scenic mountaintop vista... Lavaridge Town?"

"Oh, that's a pretty quaint little town. It'll take us away from the sea, but it won't be easy terrain; first desert then mountains."

"Well I'm up to the challenge!" declared Dash.

"What challenge, darling?" Rarity had just handed off her Pokemon to the nurse, and joined them at their table.

"We were deciding whether we should through mountains and deserts, or take the flowery well-worn trail to the east."

"Well, count me in for east then."

"Oh that reminds me Rainbow," said Twilight, jumping right into the next conversation point, "I have something for you. I was going to give it to you earlier, but then I forgot after we had our fight..." Twilight trailed off.

"Hey forget about that, Twilight, water under the bridge, remember? Besides I'm always game for presents!"

"Right, of course. This is for you." Twilight pulled the Oval Stone out of her saddlebag and slid it across the table.

Dash clutched the white egg-shaped stone in her wing, and looked at it quizzically, "What is it with you ponies and giving me rocks?" Rarity gave Dash a knowing glance.

"Wha? ..it's an Oval Stone, for your Happiny. Having her carry it around is the only way she can evolve."

"Evolve?"

"Didn't I go over this?" said Twilight, not loving repeating herself, but not balking at the chance to teach. "Some species of Pokemon take on an entirely new form once they reach a certain developmental stage. They get bigger and stronger, and sometimes unlock new abilities."

"That's cool!" marveled Dash, so what's Happiny gonna look like when she evolves?"

"She's going to evolve into a Pokemon named Chansey." explained Twilight, drawing a picture of said Pokemon, "she'll be the same tank you know and love, but with new attacks and even more staying power."

"Do all Pokemon evolve?" asked Rarity.

"Most evolve at least once. But not all - your Sableye for instance, has no second stage."

"But that just means he's perfect the way he is," concluded Rarity, "I like the small and petite ones, it wouldn't do to have my Pokemon turning into some kind of lumbering brute."

"Well I say bring on the brutes!" declared Dash, "so Twilight, how long is it gonna be before she becomes Chansey?"

"It's impossible to say. The best I answer I can give you is 'when she's ready.'"

Rarity gave a sharp gasp, "Twilight, look at this!" she pointed to a corner of the Lavaridge flier that read, "Enjoy our volcanic spa and natural hot springs."

"I thought you were giving up creature comforts."

"True Rainbow, but I said that when they were hopelessly out of reach. This is the golden apple being dangled right before my eyes! Please, say we can go to Lavaridge, I neeeeed this, Twili-i-i-ght!" she begged, almost sobbing.

"All right" said Twilight, "but only because the volcano puts Team Aqua out of their element. I hope going through the desert is worth it."

"Al the dried-out skin in the world will be worth it. Plus, I made us these." She pulled out a set of goggles for each of them, the elastic bands patterned with their respective cutie marks "They were selling them in Slateport, apparently very popular amongst ponies that brave the elements. I took the liberty of making the lenses bigger and setting them further apart."

"Nice thinking, Rarity" lauded Twilight, "Lavaridge it is then. Let's go find ourselves a hotel room." They hoped that their other halves, wherever they were, would encounter clearer skies and safer travels in the morning. Miles away in Kanto, their other halves were hoping the very same thing.




Author's Note:

I've decided to take this off hiatus for now, we'll see how long I can maintain the buzz. This chapter doesn't have much action, but I think you'll be quite satisfied with the next one.