• Published 10th Oct 2013
  • 1,766 Views, 61 Comments

The World's Greatest Team of Six - CassandraMyOCisBestpony



Twilight's obsession with Pokemon reaches critical mass when her spell goes awry, trapping her and her and friends in the Pokemon world

  • ...
3
 61
 1,766

Terra Firma, Part 2

"Girls! You've got to see this!"

Dash sighed, "What Twilight, is it another really cool submarine part?" Almost immediately after the trio had woken up and finished breakfast, Twilight insisted they visit the Slateport Oceanic Museum.

"Just look, ok?"

"Oh my, Twilight, that looks just like you!" exclaimed Rarity, gaping at the stone tablet in front of her.

"That's so weird! How'd it get here?"

"Psychics do exist in this world. But to get such a clear picture from a vision, that's not something you see every day."

Rainbow read off the placard, "...The world's greatest team of six. There's six of us, maybe that's what they meant?"

"Could be. A lot of things come in sixes though, so I wouldn't call that conclusive evidence."

"What about me being the world's greatest pony? Is that conclusive evidence?"

Twilight chuckled, "I'll submit it to the board."

"So what's our next move?"

"Going north takes us away from the ocean, which should be our best chance of avoiding Team Aqua. We'll figure out what to do about this when we hit Mauville"

*****

Thousands of miles away, the other half of the Mane Six were pondering the same prophecy.

"So.. it wasn't an accident that we were brought here?" asked Fluttershy.

"It could be a coincidence, but this stone carving suggests that someone planned for it to happen."

"It's like a party invitation!" suggested Pinkie Pie

"This is great n' all, and ah hate ta sound selfish, but how's this gonna help us get home?"

"Perhaps if you figure out why you were brought here, you might also discover how to leave."

"Hmm, that does sound neat n' tidy. Alright, we'll look into this prophecy. Movin on, Fluttershy here has somethin' she wants ta tell ya."

"N-no, that.. I mean.. it's not important."

"Fluttershy, when you woke up, you were as worried as cat in a roomful o' rockin' chairs. You don't gotta be afraid, tell us what's on yer mind."

"Well, ok... last night a Pokemon calling himself Latios told me that we could talk with Princess Luna if we made it to Mt. Moon in three days." The others gasped

"Fluttershy! That's super duper ultragigantically important!!!"

"Oh...sorry."

"Professor, what can ya tell us about this Latios?"

"Very little, outside of its Dragon/Psychic type and moveset. Latios is cunning and quick to flee from humans. Sightings are rare, and I don't think anyone has ever captured it or its sister Pokemon Latias. If it actively sought you out, then it must have been for something real important."

"Can we make it to Mt. Moon in three days?"

"It will be challenging in the impeding wintery weather, but it can be done. If you can reach Viridian City by tonight, and Pewter by tomorrow, you should be home free. Here, let me borrow your saddlebags for a moment. I'll give you all the gear and field guides you need."

"Well that's mighty kind of ya! How can we ever repay y'all?"

"The prophecy says that you six prevent some sort of catastrophe from happening. If that is the case, I'm the one indebted to you."

*****

Leaving Slateport City, the girls traveled northwards along Route 110. Lacking bicycles, and the ability to ride them, they took the walkway underneath the bike path.

"Well, the view of the ocean is nice" commented Rarity, "but I have to say, going off the beaten path isn't all it's cracked up to be." Due to neglect, under usage, and littering from the bikers above, the grassy Route 110 walkway had deteriorated considerably. Pokemon that inhabited these parts had become increasingly aggressive, so the three kept their own out as a precaution.

"Where's Team Aqua when you need 'em?" said Rainbow Dash, "this place could use a good sweeping, Happiny use Pound!" Happiny swatted away an Oddish that was trying to ambush them.

"This place wouldn't give them enough publicity - Misdraevus use Psybeam." An agitated Gulpin moved out of their way, "They have to make real big spectacles to convince the public that they'd never do something like hold three prisoners without trial. Now keep your eyes sharp, we're coming to an underpass, and there could be Pokemon up hiding in the.."

"Timburr!!!" A grey and pink rodentlike Pokemon jumped down from the rafters, a giant beam of wood clutched in its hands. It swung its weapon at the three, deliberately missing, but only by inches. It made the "come at me" gesture

Rarity was taken aback by its brutishness, "that's quite enough out of you! Sableye, go!" The Pokemon leapt off its owner's back and assumed a fighting stance. "Twilight, this one doesn't have Synchronize, does it?" Twilight shook her head. "Good, then give it a Will-O-Wisp!"

Timburr snarled as the blue flame hit it. It retaliated with a Low Kick, but its leg went right through Sableye.

"Sableye, Scratch!" Timburr met it with a Pound, but it too went through Sableye's body. It recoiled as Sableye's claws raked its body. "Terribly sorry, but those attacks won't work on a Ghost type."

Timburr growled. Rarity expected ti to launch another attack, but instead it did the exact opposite. Timburr dropped its board onto the ground, and sat down cross-legged. It appeared to be in a meditative state.

"O...kay. Sableye, use Night Shade!" Sableye shot a black beam at the sedentary Timburr. It winced at the damage, but moved as little as possible. "Same again!" Sableye shot another night shade with the same effect

Twilight watched quizzically from the sidelines, "What is he... Oh my gosh! Rarity, catch it now!"

"But it's not weakened enough."

"Do it now or Sableye's done for!"

"Alright then, Pokeball go!" The moment she shouted the word, Timburr sprung up and charged at Sableye. The Pokeball smacked into it before it could hit, sucking it inside. Twilight held her breath as the Pokeball shook, one twice, and... pinged shut. She breathed a huge sigh of relief,

"My, what a rush that was! My first capture!"

"Awesome!" Rainbow Dash patted her on the back.

"I suppose it was. But Twilight, just what was Timburr doing, and why were you so worried?"

"It was using a move called Bide. It takes a few hits, then strikes back with twice as much damage. You have to be more careful, you were getting complacent."

Rarity bristled, "Twilight, you may be more knowledgeable than us, but that's no excuse to get condescending."

"Fine, if you don't want my help, I just won't talk at all."

"Fine! Throw a tantrum."

"Fine!"

"Fine!"

"Alright, break it up you two!" Rainbow Dash pushed the unicorns apart with her hooves. "That's the third fight you've had, and I'm getting a headache! Now talk it out, or we're not moving another step!" Twilight and Rarity turned their backs on each other. Happiny looked on concerned. "Happiny, you'd better use Refresh."

"Hapinyyyyyy." She held Twilight in a loving embrace, then did the same for Rarity. Their bodies became enveloped in a cool blue light, and the fire in their eyes flickered out. Twilight took a deep breath and stuck out her forehoof.

"Rarity, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have talked to you that way. I don't express it right sometimes, but my friends mean the world to me, and I just want to keep you all safe."

"I'm sorry too Twilight. This game was your magnum opus and none of us recognized how much work you put into it."

"Rainbow I owe you an apology too. I've been mocking you quite a bit since we got here. That's a crummy way to thank you for convincing everypony to come see my creation. That was you wasn't it? I'm sorry for not appreciating all the times you stuck up for me."

"Don't worry about it Twilight, you did plenty of good too."

"I really appreciate you keeping Happiny. I know that being the team doctor isn't how you imagined this going..."

"Twilight, if I've learned anything from Wonderbolts training, it's that everypony has to be a wingpony sometimes. So if you need me to be the healer, then by Celestia I'll be the awesomest healer that ever lived! Now how about a pact? Fight Pokemon, not each other!"

"I'll toast to that!"

"As will I!" added Rarity. "Twilight, I do hope you'll continue to share your valuable knowledge with us. You're right, I have gotten into trouble by being reckless in battles. Would you give me a primer on tactics so that that doesn't happen again?"

Twilight's face lit up, "would I???"

*****

Also travelling north were Applejack, Pinkie Pie, and Fluttershy, along Route 1.

"Easy peasy breezy, Viridian, city..eezy!" declared Pinkie Pie, "We'll be there in no time!"

"It's not this road I'm concerned about." said Fluttershy, "Route one isn't just easy, it's the easiest in all of Kanto. They get harder and scarier after this." She shivered just thinking about it.

"Hey there! I'm Liz, how about a battle?" The trio turned to see a young woman in scout troop gear, holding a Pokeball expectantly. "Any takers?"

"Fluttershy, how 'bout you?" suggested Applejack.

"Yeah! I wanna learn from the master!" encouraged Pinkie.

"The master huh?" remarked Liz, "now I've gotta have a battle with you, Fluttershy!"

"A.. all right then."

"Mabgy, I choose you!"

"Masquerain, go" murmured Fluttershy.

"Ah nuts, fire again" sighed Applejack. But despite the type advantage, Masquerain kept its intimidating glare resolute.

Liz capitalized on her hesitation to make the first strike, "Magby, use Ember!"

"Eep! Masquerain, dodge!" Masquerain zipped into the air, avoiding the flaming embers as they passed.

"That's some good speed, I'll give you that! Magby, hit it with a Smog!"

"Mabgy!" The Pokemon blasted a cloud of putrid brown smoke at Masquerain

"Smoke rises, go down Masquerain!" Masquerain dove to the ground, again avoiding the attack.

"Fluttershy!" yelled Applejack from the sidelines, "ya gotta fight back! Ya can't just dodge!"

"But I don't want either of them to get hurt!"

"Magby!" interjected Liz, "use Faint Attack!" Magby disappeared and scampered at Masquerain, the only clue to its location being a faint rustling in the grass.

"Masquerain, it's coming from the... I don't know where it is!" Fluttershy cried in a panic. Magby reappeared behind Masquerain and slapped it across the back of the head. The damselfly Pokemon leapt with a start and winced at the pain.

"Time out!" declared Applejack

"That's.. not exactly in the rulebook, but all right." said Liz.

Applejack came over to Fluttershy, and put her fore around the shaking pegasus's shoulder. "Fluttershy, ah know it's difficult, but you gotta learn to battle. It ain't like animals fightin' back home, these Pokemon were designed to get into brawls. They have a high tolerance for injuries, an' heal a lot quicker than anythin' we got back home."

"But I don't like fighting. I don't want to do it."

"Fluttershy, you saw how hostile some of th' wild Pokemon were on th' island. We won't always get ta choose whether or not we fight. Besides, it ain't personal to the Pokemon, it's more like a game." Masquerain nodded in agreement

"A.. game?"

"That's right Fluttershy, and you know it better'n us. We need yer brain runnin' on all cylinders,"

A determined look came over Fluttershy's face, "All right. I won't let you down." She turned to the picnicker, "I'm ready!"

"Finally! Magby, use Fire Spin!" Magby breathed out a spiral of flame, which trapped Masquerain in a fiery ring. The Pokemon began to sweat, and covered its face with its antennae. Applejack and Pinke Pie looked away; surely it was all over.

Fluttershy cried out, "Masquerain!" not with fear or despair, but with confidence, "Stay calm! Use Water Sport!" Masquerain spit a small jet of water straight up like a fountain, bathing itself in the cool and refreshing shower, causing it to drop to the ground. Despite the flames and its immobility, it stood on the ground steadfastly.

"Now I've got you! Magby, Ember!"

"Masquerain, Bubble!" The bubble pounded through the flaming wall, and clashed with Magby's embers, bursting into a cloud of steam that momentarily obscured everyone's vision. Once it cleared, they could see that the battle was decided - Magby lay on the ground fainted.

"Good try Magby, return!" Liz took her exhausted Pokemon back into its ball. "You three be careful if you're heading north, a storm warning's in effect from here to Pewter"

"Thank ya kindly, we will!"

"Look! The show's starting!" called out Pinkie Pie. The other looked upwards and indeed, a light dusting of snowflakes was beginning to fall. "I just love making snow angels, and snowmares, and snow forts, and snowcones..."

"Pinkie, ain't a snowcone th' last thing you'd want when it's cold outside?"

"Don't be silly Applejack, I always want a snowcone!"

"That ya do."




Author's Note:

As you probably guessed from the long drought, I am not sure how far I can see this through. I had this chapter mostly completed and lying around for the longest time so I decided to go ahead and finish it. Usually I like to have the next chapter completed in advance before I publish one, but since I'm questioning whether there even will be another chapter, I decided I could make an exception. Problems I'm having include:

1) How do I get the ponies to be cool with Pokemon battling? It's one thing to play a video game or watch an Amine where the violence is so watered down that even children can watch?
2) How do I get around them having to explain their entire life stories to every human they meet?
3) How can I utilize Pinkie better? What does she contribute besides comic relief?
4) Is my battle choreography getting too repetitive?