• Published 7th Oct 2013
  • 10,195 Views, 404 Comments

My Little Human: Equestrian Girl - Jgame



When Twilight comes back from her week long visit to her brother's house, she finds out that everything has changed. Canterlot High is babbling about some magic girl from another world, but Twilight knows better. There's no such thing as ma

  • ...
44
 404
 10,195

Chapter Four

"Here we are," Princess Cadence announced, "this is the portal."

The portal turned out to be the mirror Twilight found herself next to when she had woken up originally. It was almost funny how she had unwittingly walked away from her exit, only to be brought back to it. Still, there was something off about the portal.

"Do you mind telling me why you have all this secrecy around the mirror?" Twilight asked.

"We thought it would be better off," Princess Twilight admitted, "I'm one of the few who ever went through the portal, and even I don't know that much about it. The princesses all agreed a long time ago it was better we kept the portal a secret and avoid messing with your world too much."

Apparently, that rule went out the window last week, Twilight was tempted to say.

"You gonna stand there, or you gonna go in?" Rainbow Dash asked.

That broke Twilight's slight stupor. She walked towards the portal, reached out her hoof, and put it through the glass until it stopped an inch in, like there was a solid brick wall just beneath the surface of the glass.

Twilight pushed with her full weight, casually at first, but increasingly more panicked until she backed up and ran into the portal, smacking headfirst against the solid wall of the portal.

A stunned silence ensued. The portal no longer worked.

"Why won't it work?" Twilight said through gritted teeth as she rubbed her nose.

"Whatever caused the portal to open, it's gone now," Princess Twilight said, "you're stuck here until it opens again in three years. I'm sorry."

"That's it?" Twilight growled, "'I'm sorry?'"

"There's nothing more I can do," Princess Twilight said defensively.

"You went into the stupid portal, messed up everything over there, made me fall into the portal and ruined my life, and all I get is a little pat on the head and an apology?"

"I didn't make you do anything," Princess Twilight said as her jaw set, "it was an accident. You said it yourself. What do I have to do with this?"

"Everything. Everyone was so amazed with you, with the pampered pony princess who can magically make friends with anyone and everything, and then you leave just in time for me to have to deal with everyone wishing I was someone else! I had to take a look at the portal because you made my life so utterly insane I couldn't tell what was real and what wasn't!"

"Hey, girls! I'm ba... wait, why is there two Twilights?" someone asked from the doorway before Princess Twilight could answer.

The former human turned to find a purple and green scaly... thing. Twilight jumped back and yelped. "What the heck is that?"

Princess Twilight teleported inches away from Twilight's face in a massive shower of lavender sparks, grabbing Twilight's attention instantly.

"That is Spike, my number one assistant and my best friend," the princess said in a dangerously calm tone.

"And he's a snake," Twilight said.

"A baby dragon, actually. But I suppose somepony as ignorant like you wouldn't care."

Twilight snorted. "You're right, I don't care."

"Leave," Princess Cadence said, her voice like cold steel.

Twilight looked at Princess Cadence like she had been speaking in a foreign language. "What?"

"Go. Or the guards will escort you out of the castle premises the hard way."

"Fine," Twilight said as she skulked out of the room, ensuring she kept a wide berth around Spike, "thanks for everything."

"Wow. What's her problem?" Spike asked.


Twilight kept walking until she could barely see the Crystal Empire's castle on the horizon, fuming all the while.

She was a million miles away from home with no way back, she the one who had to endure all the misery that her counterpart had created for her, and they seemed to think she was the cause of her problems instead of the victim!

And that scaly... thing... looked like a fat snake with feet.

Twilight hated snakes.

Twilight finally calmed down enough to observe where she was. She looked around to realize she was in the middle of a large park with plenty of benches and cheery flowers that did not match Twilight's mood.

The park was well populated in spite of the Sun starting to dip down on the horizon. Nopony else gave her even a passing glance. Apparently none of them seemed to realize she looked like the Princess, being citizens of a place with no functioning cameras.

Good. She couldn't stand for being confused with "Princess Twilight" ever again.

She watched as a blue unicorn in a pointy wizard's hat magically unsaddled herself from a harness that was attached to a wagon. The unicorn fiddled with various latches and things on the wagon, and it magically unfolded into a stage. She hopped onstage and began trying to draw a crowd.

"Come one, come all! Come and witness the amazing magic being performed by the Great and Powerful Trixie!" the magician called out to curious passers-by.

Several ponies stopped to see what the commotion was, and a few actually walked to the front of the stage to watch.

Trixie seemed delighted at the attention. "Ah hah! I see ponies in the Crystal Empire know magical talent when they see it! Now, feast your eyes on this!"

Fireworks popped out of the stage and exploded a few feet directly above the stage without ever being lit on fire, creating a rather pretty display.

More ponies stopped to watch as she performed a few more tricks. The displays were simultaneously beautiful and breath-taking. Twilight watched the spectacle, entranced.

Until one pony in the crowd started yelling at Trixie.

"I've heard about you! You're a fake! Show us some real magic!" the pony called out.

Several others joined in and started booing Trixie.

Twilight wondered if what she had seen was magic or not. Sure, she'd seen things glowing like the other magic she'd seen, but were the fireworks magic or just regular fireworks? Twilight groaned as she shook her head and realized she had no clue.

She was raised her whole life to know that magic only existed in fairy tales, or as a term for unexplained scientific phenomena. Then she was told that magic existed.

Now, she was told that there was fake magic that looked no different from all the "real" magic she'd seen over the past hour or so.

It was enough to make her head feel like it was going to explode.

Twilight jumped as a thunderclap sounded from where Trixie was.

"I'm sorry," Trixie said, "but I couldn't hear all you neighsayers over the sound of The Great And Powerful Trixie effortlessly bending thunderclouds to her will."

The silence that ensued was deafening compared to the noise that had come before it.

"There," Trixie said in satisfaction, "now, for my next trick, I'd like to pick a volunteer." Trixie scanned the crowd until she saw Twilight on the park bench, and her eyes lit up in a dangerous flash of recognition.

Twilight decided to leave before Trixie made her the next stage performance.


"So, you're just going to leave her there?" Spike demanded in Princess Twilight's bedroom.

"She's a jerk. You saw how she reacted to you, and right before that she blamed everything on me!" Princess Twilight snapped.

"Woah. Calm down," Spike said, "I know she might have been a jerk to you, but don't you think you should... you know, try to figure out what made the portal open and help her anyways?"

"There's no way to open the portal. However she did it, it probably will never happen again."

"Then maybe help her adjust a little? I mean, the first two days in their world weren't fun for us, either. Imagine what it's like for her."

"At least we weren't like... like her! At least we weren't mean to everypony we met for no good reason!"

"Twilight, you can't just leave her," Spike said, his face deadly serious.

"Why not?"

"Because you're not just Twilight anymore. You're Princess Twilight Sparkle, who's mastered the magic of friendship, and that's including kindness. Remember when you nearly brainwashed the entirety of Ponyville?"

"I wasn't thinking straight!"

"That's not the point," Spike said, "remember how Princess Celestia forgave you in the end?"

"I do. What are you trying to say?"

"I'm saying you have to be like Princess Celestia now and forgive Twilight. It's your duty now. If the princesses of Equestria won't forgive other ponies, then who will?"

Princess Twilight's face softened. "You're right, Spike. The least I can do is help her get someplace to live. But where would she go?"

"Oh, that's easy," Spike smirked, "what's quiet and filled with books?"

Princess Twilight blinked. "Oh, right. I guess that's where I would go if I were me, wouldn't I?"

Spike snorted, trying to hold back a laugh.


Twilight reached the library. It was a massive building, with two huge crystalline statues of creatures guarded the entrance. She realized that they were giffons, like the ones from Harry Potter.

On the top, right over the door, was a picture of an open book and "CRYSTAL EMPIRE PUBLIC LIBRARY" written on it. Definitely a sign she was in the right place.

As she walked in, she realized the amount of books for the public were seemingly infinite, which contrasted sharply with the very few ponies that were there.

Even in a civilization without computers and video games, no one bothered to read a book once and a while.

Twilight aimlessly walked through the massive shelves of books, looking at the titles. She was looking for an atlas to determine her geographic location when she found herself in the magic section. Endless amounts of magical tomes surrounded her.

A question ignited in her mind. What was real magic? Was it just an expression? Did Trixie use magic, or magic in the sense of how a regular magician pulls a bunny out of his hat? When was magic magic and when did it stop being magic?

Twilight had the feeling she would go nuts if she didn't find out, if she was not already nuts.

Only one way to find out, Twilight thought to herself as she pulled out a random book and opened it to the first page.

The instructions may have well been written in gibberish. There were countless bits of terminology that Twilight had never heard of and symbols that she had never seen. It was in English, but it may have been been in Latin for all Twilight could understand.

Instead of deterring Twilight, it only made her more determined. If she was going to spend her next three years as a magic talking unicorn, then she was going to learn how magic worked.

Twilight rose up on two legs and tried to put the book back in it's place, but she nearly lost her balance and nearly crashed into the bookcase.

She spent a small amount of time mulling over her options until she saw a winged pony, or pegasus, as Rainbow Dash had said they were called, fly up and take a book out of a nearby shelf with her mouth.

Twilight had thought of the option initially, but she'd discarded it as thinking it disgusting and possibly taboo.

Apparently, ponies weren't worried about bacteria and germs from their mouths getting on their books.

Twilight carefully put the book in between her teeth and found it was surprisingly simple to turn her head and gently put the book back in place.

She tried multiple books on her own and then made two trips to the librarian before she found a book that was meant for "young colts and fillies interested in learning the basics of magic," according to the back of the book.

Twilight took the book over to a nearby table and pored over the page long introduction, not including an additional two pages for an explanation of the first spell. When she thought she had memorized the instructions, she tried the spell. If it worked, the book would supposedly turn its pages on its own.

The first time, she simply stared at the book and focused hard, to no avail.

She reread the instructions. The book advocated closing her eyes in order to increase concentration when trying new spells.

Twilight tried several more times with her eyes now shut, slowly getting a headache every time she concentrated harder.

"Ow," Twilight moaned. Was magic supposed to hurt your brain?

Twilight flipped through the book to find nothing on that subject. She shrugged and kept trying to practice, every time her headache getting slightly worse and worse.

Twilight knew in the back of her mind that the rational thing to do was stop.

Twilight, however, was not feeling rational.

Time passed before she opened her eyes to find the shadow of a certain alicorn.

"Hi," Princess Twilight said.

"Hi."

"If you'll accept my help, I've made arrangements for you."

"What kind of arrangements?" Twilight said, trying not to moan in pain.

"There's an empty house next to a restaurant that needs hired help," Princess Twilight said, "Princess Cadence and I can let you buy the house on a non-interest loan. An official representing Princess Cadence will also recommend you to the restaurant owner. You'll have to pay rent, but it'll be lower than normal."

"Thank you," Twilight said.

"You're welcome," Princess Twilight answered.

"And... I'm sorry. I was so focused on getting home that when I realized that I wasn't... I freaked out. And I'm really, really sorry."

"Apology accepted," Princess Twilight said. She looked around, as if just now noticing where she was. "And just out of curiosity, what are you reading?"

"The only book I could understand," Twilight grumbled.

"Are you illiterate?"

"May as well be," Twilight sighed, "I can't make any sense of the library's books about magic. What exactly does 'put the energy in your extended parietal lobe in a state of flux' even mean?"

"It's complicated. The really basic version is that you channel your mental energy from your brain into your horn."

Twilight groaned and rubbed her head.

"It's the extremely simplified version of an advanced concept," Princess Twilight said, "don't worry about it.

"And are you alright? I mean, aside from the obvious, you don't look so good."

"I've been trying to turn a page of this book with magic for... I don't even know how long. All it's given me is this stupid headache," Twilight complained.

"Here, this should help," Princess Twilight said as she stepped in and touched her horn to Twilight's.

Nothing happened.

"It takes a few seconds to kick in," Princess Twilight explained in response to Twilight's puzzled facial expression.

Twilight's head slowly went numb like she'd gotten a Novocain injection in her brain.

"Thanks," Twilight said in relief.

"You're welcome. So, why are you trying to study magic?"

Twilight stiffened. "Is that illegal here?"

"No. It's just that I've been to your world, and there wasn't any magic. I thought you'd be too alienated to try it," Princess Twilight explained.

"I saw this magician a little while ago. I thought it was kind of weird having magicians in this world, since magic seems to be a normal thing here. But one of the ponies started saying that she wasn't using real magic, or something like that. I concluded that the best way to figure out what real magic was was to do it.

"And I'm a magic unicorn. I may as well learn magic while I'm here."

Princess Twilight glanced at the open book. "But no success so far."

"No," Twilight agreed, "and it's driving me crazy not being able to do it."

"I could help you," Princess Twilight offered.

"Really?"

"If you really want to learn, then I have a bit of time to teach you," Princess Twilight said with as the corners of her mouth turned up slightly.

"Okay," Twilight said, "I mean, I'd love to!"

"Alright. First, close your eyes," Princess Twilight instructed.

The other Twilight obliged.

"Okay. Focus only on the book."

"Alright. Focused on the book."

"Now, relax," Princess Twilight instructed.

"Relax?"

"You're completely tense. You need to loosen up to concentrate properly."

Princess Twilight was right. Twilight was tense. Failing a supposedly simple spell for twenty minutes did little for one's sense of humour.

She remembered her old babysitter, Cadenza. She would always tell Twilight to take a deep breath and think.

So she took a deep breath through the nose, and exhaled through the mouth, just like Cadenza always told her.

"Better," Princess Twilight remarked, "alright. Are you ready?"

Twilight nodded a silent yes.

"Good. Now, imagine the book turning it's pages. Don't try to think about the words on it, but concentrate on the general motion."

Sparks shot out of Twilight's horn and then fizzled as she focused intently.

Twilight opened her eyes, clearly unhappy. "Nothing happened."

Princess Twilight indicated the book, and Twilight's face lit up. "It turned! I'm three pages ahead and I never even touched it!"

A nearby pony hidden behind a bookcase shushed them.

"Sorry," Twilight said sheepishly. "So, did I do well?"

"That was amazing," Princess Twilight said, "it took me a month as a filly to be able to turn one page."

"Well, it made sense when you explained it to me," Twilight said.

"Glad to see I could help," Princess Twilight said, "although your Cutie Mark probably had something to do with it."

"Cutie what?"

"Cutie Mark. Everypony gets an image on their flank when they find what their naturally talented at. Yours and mine are the same."

Twilight checked her flank and her look-alike to find that they did have the same Cutie Mark.

"Okay. So... my natural talent is doing magic?"

Princess Twilight nodded. "When I got mine, I had a power surge that turned everypony in the room into a potted plant by accident. If yours is the same, then you've probably got the same amount of..."

"What?"

"I think I figured out what opened the portal. You said that you couldn't control your body, you were glowing purple, and there was some electricity, right?"

"Yeah. But what does that have to do with anything?" Twilight asked.

"That's a power surge. If mine as a filly could turn a room into potted plants and even more, then imagine what you could've been able to do with my uncontrolled potential at your age."

Realization dawned on Twilight. "Like open an shut portal."

"Exactly."

"Okay, so is there any way to make it happen again?"

"I'm not sure. Even if it was, the power surge might just do something different."

"What do you mean? If I'm near the portal, then it should just fill it up with magic and open it, right?"

"A power surge creates raw magic. If you think of magic like a foreign language, then raw magic is just pure gibberish. The fact that it opened a portal was just random chance. The gibberish might mean something completely different to the portal next time."

Twilight sighed in exasperation. "So much for getting my hopes up. I mean, I could even sink my hoof in one inch into the glass. The portal was practically taunting me."

"Wait, what did you say?" Princess Twilight said, leaning towards Twilight intently.

"The portal was taunting me."

"Before that."

"I said I could sink my hoof in one inch into the glass."

"Cadence and I checked the portal after you left. We couldn't go past the glass... which means... that you might not have just opened the portal, but I think you managed to change the way it operates for you."

"Is that even possible?"

"Yes, with very strong and very precise magic" Princess Twilight confirmed, "I think, just as a theory, that if you, and only you, gave the portal a strong enough spell, you might be able to activate it early like you did."

"Really?"

"Well, it's just a huge guess. It might not work, but if it did, you might not have to wait it out here in Equestria. You'd be able to go home way ahead of the portal's schedule."

"So, how long would it take for me to learn to figure out how to do that?"

"Three months, and that's being really optimistic," Princess Twilight admitted.

"Well, three months better than three years. But who's going to teach me?"

Princess Twilight looked her counterpart in the eyes. "I am."

Twilight's jaw nearly fell open. She'd been a massive pain in the princess's flank, and here she was helping her cure her self-inflicted headache, teach her how to use basic magic, and now personally train her. "You're really nice," Twilight said, which was the understatement of the century.

"And you're not as bad as I thought you were," the princess admitted, "so, can I take that as a yes?"

"Yes."

Princess Twilight held out her hoof, and her new student shook it.

"Hey!" Rainbow Dash exclaimed as she found the two Twilight's, "what are you doing with my friend?"

"Talk about jumping to conclusions," Twilight muttered under her breath.

Princess Twilight shot her counterpart a look as she said, "I was just talking to her. It's fine, Rainbow Dash."

"Uh-hunh," Rainbow Dash said suspiciously, "so did get the arrangements or whatever done yet?"

"There's been a change of plans," Princess Twilight said, "we'll explain at dinner together."