• Published 4th Oct 2013
  • 1,127 Views, 12 Comments

Gaia - Puking Coyote



In Equestria there is only one force that Celestia truly feared, only one that ever truly beaten her. This story tells of that force. Please sit back and enjoy.

  • ...
3
 12
 1,127

Chapter 9 Let the games begin!


Chapter 9

Let the games begin!

Twilight woke up early in anticipation of what was to come, her first Equestrian Games as a royal Princess. There was so much to do, so much to prepare as the games were about to begin. She ran down the stairs jumping the last three steps as she slid into the libraries main room. Looking around making sure that Owlicious had everything in order she grabbed her saddle pack, the all to sound asleep Spike, and a few stacks of books for the train ride to The Crystal Empire. She arrived on the train extra early not wanting to miss it and headed to the royal car. The royal car was well furnished and had big fluffy couches for her and her friends. She went over and sat onto one of these couches and after placing the sleepy little dragon next to her she opened one of her precious books. She sat alone in the car until three and a half hours later or fifteen books later for Twilight before Rarity came trotting in.

“Oh, this car is just darling” Rarity stated “Don’t you think so AppleJack?”

“Yep, if you’re into all the frilly curtains that is” she replied not too sure what she thought about them.

“I know! Are they not just the most fantastic materials that you ever seen. Clearly they were made by an expert.”

“Yeah, that’s just what I was thinking” Applejack replied sarcastically rolling her eyes.

“Any trouble getting on board?” Twilight asked.

“Nope, Pinky however is having some trouble” Applejack replied. “The conductor seems to be having some trouble convincing her to leave her confetti canon.”

As if she heard the girls talking Pinkypie appeared from who knows where “I managed to sneak it in.”

“How did you do that?” Twilight asked.

“I have my ways, oh, I have my ways” she replied rubbing her hoofs together “Bwaahahaha.”

“O…Kay” Twilight then booked marked her spot in one of the advanced magic books Celestia gave her "Where’s Fluttershy?”

“Here” a soft innocent voice replied as the yellow Pegasus slinked into the room so softly that her hoofs made no sound whatsoever.

“Do you have your bird choir ready?”

“Yes, the poor dears had to be put into the luggage car. Oh, I hope they are ok, what if it’s dark in there and they get scared?”

“They will be fine Fluttershy” she said trying to help calm her friend’s worries. “Besides” said Twilight “the coach car is very lovely and it is lighted.”

“That’s good.”

“They will be comfortable and safe, so relax.”

“Ok.”

Twilight looked at the clock on the wall “it’s about time for us to start moving, where is Rainbow Dash?” None of the ponies seemed to know making Twilight frown “She’s the main part of the air show!” Twilight then teleported away to Dashes cloud where she found Dash sleeping giving out loud healthy snores. “Dash, Wake up!”

“Five more minutes” Dash said and rolled away from Twilight.

“Dash!” she began but Dash only waved her off. “You leave me no choice then” Twilight said as she summoned a bubble of water over her sleeping friend. “The trains about to leave and you need to wake up” she then let go of the water which fell onto Dash who jumped up with a start.

“Aww man, why did you do that!” She asked giving Twilight a mean look.

“The train is going to leave in just one minute! you needed to get up.”

“Oh that, I still had a fifty seconds.”

“But that only leaves ten seconds!” Twilight replied shocked. “Certainly you couldn’t make it in that time?”

“Of course I can, ten seconds flat” Dashes alarm then went off “speaking of which” She suddenly bolted out into the air disappearing into the morning sky. Twilight teleported back to the train to tell the conductor to wait for Dash but to her amazement Dash landed just a second after she materialized. “Told you!” Dash replied with a smug look and pranced onto the train.

Twilight followed her perplexed on how she made it in time. “All aboard! Next stop The Crystal Empire” The conductor announced then shut the train’s door. Soon the smoke from the train started to bellow out the locomotives stack as it slowly moved forward on its long journey.

“What are you reading there Twi?” Dash asked as she and the others raided the dessert bar.

“Some high magic from Celestia” Twilight replied not taking her eyes out of the book.

“Does it have to do with the other studies she had you doing?”

“Yes, Princess Celestia wants me to be prepared for when I next meet Trixie.”

“You mean so you won’t faint again?”

“I did not faint!” Twilight slammed the book closed making everypony stare at her. “I…umm, sorry I didn’t mean to shout.”

“It’s ok sugar cube, we know that you didn’t” AppleJack replied putting her hoof on Twilights back.

“Thanks” Twilight muttered now in a sour mood. “I just need to find her and get some answers.” Twilight wanted to find Trixie to get information for Princess Celestia about Gaia’s plans yes, but she also wanted to redeem herself in the eyes of her mentor who she felt that she failed. There was also another reason though that she wanted to find her and that was to ask about what she had said on the train. Celestia it did seem the more that she researched past events to have manipulated them to test her. She didn’t cause the events but Trixie might have been right about them being used as a test. Whether if it was a test to see if she could become an alicorn or something else she did not know and that’s why she needed to find Trixie again to learn what she knew.

“Which race was it you were in?” Pinkypie asked Dash as she stuffed a large slice of cake into her mouth.

“The Mountain Pass race” Dash replied “the most dangerous and famous race in all of Equestria. The track is on a floating island that is brought out for only one race in the Equestrian games and the winner is crowned the fastest racer of the year!”

“You think that you can win?”

“I hope, but competition is tough all the best flyers are in the race which includes the Wonderbolts.” Dash then became a little light headed “If I win they will surely ask me to join!” her imagination was then filled with her flying high with the Wonderbolts wearing one of their awesome uniforms.

“Helloo, Dashie?” Pinkypie waved her hoof in front of Dashes face.

“Wha?” Dash asked being snapped out of her fantasy.

“I asked if you wanted the last piece of cake silly.”

“No, go ahead Pinky.”

Pinky complied and flung it into the air and swallowed it whole “Have to practice for the pie eating contest.”

The girls talked about the games and what events they were going to participate in until they finally fell asleep. The next morning they woke up in the wintery weather of The Crystal Empire. They soon got off at the station and after a few sightseeing trips they headed to the castle. The streets were crowded and became more congested as they moved towards the castle. Twilight who was being pestered by so many ponies wanting to talk to their new princess finally had enough and sent for a royal escort to keep the crowd from her so she and her friends could get into the castle. Once they went inside they were meet by her brother Prince Shinning Armor “Twiley!” he shouted.

“How are you doing big brother?” she asked embracing him in a hug.

“It’s been busy but we are doing fine.”

“Is the stadium ready?” she asked.

“Yes, come and I will show it to you. The kingdoms athletes have been showing up all day and are warming up for tomorrows games.” He then led them to a huge coliseum filled with thousands upon thousands of seats. In the middle were the track field and the archery grounds along with the jousting area and many other wonderful games. The most magnificent part of the coliseum though was a giant magic crystal floating in the air which was showing all the different events around the city in its glassy surface.

“It’s beautiful” Twilight replied.

“Yes, Celestia and Discord helped with its creation. It will show all the events that are going on.”

“This is amazing” Twilight replied as they moved along the field in the center of the coliseum.

“No way!” Dash suddenly shouted. “That’s the famous minotaur Bullhorn on the shot-put range! Ohh! and that’s IronSide the Griffin warming up for the foot race along with the stallion Backfinder.” Dash suddenly became quiet for warming up with the rest of the Griffins was Gilda.

“Dash isn’t that Gilda?” Twilight asked.

“She was a meanie” Pinkypie replied.

Gilda looked up and saw them “Dash, I might have know you would be competing in the race.”

“You got that right Gilda” Dash replied.

“Too bad you’re going to lose. I’m going to win the race tomorrow.”

“As if!” Dash protested “I will be winning the race.”

“So naïve you are” Gilda mocked “see you at the finish line, at least if you even get that far.” She then walked away laughing.

“I will win tomorrow” Dash said to herself while staring at Gilda with a death glare.

They continued their tour of the games which were going to take two days to complete. When they came to the finish of the tour Shiningarmor lead them to the throne room where to Twilights delight Princess Celestia and Luna were already there talking to Cadance. “Twilight” Celestia called to her as they approached.

“Princess Celestia” Twilight responded. However she caught something in Celestias eye like a deep worry “Is something wrong?”

“No” Celestia quickly replied but then thought about something important “By any chance have you seen Discord the last few days?”

“No princess” she then looked at her friends who also shook their heads.

“What happened to Discord?” Fluttershy asked worried.

“Nothing he just has not been seen for a few days, I think he’s hiding.”

“Hmmph, after what he did he should hide” Luna growled.

“Huh?” Twilight asked.

“It’s nothing” Celestia assured her. “Besides we were just going over the forms from the kingdoms that are sponsoring their champions if you want to join us.”

“Yes, I would like that very much!”

“If it’s all the same to you Princess I think that I will start practicing for the competition tomorrow” Dash replied. All of Twilights friends agreed with this notion after seeing the stack of paperwork next to the princess.

“Ok, have fun then girls and be careful” Celestia replied. The girls soon left Twilight alone with the rest of the royal princesses.

Twilight quickly began on the forms finding each candidate very interesting however she stopped halfway through the stack perplexed by what she saw. “Princess Celestia, is this the same Queen Chrysalis that wrecked havoc during my brother’s wedding?”

“Yes, it is” Celestia replied. “I was very interested in that as well.”

“Surely you will not let her join the games?”

“She has too” Princess Cadance spoke up. “The law of the Equestrian Games state that to promote peace that even countries at war, if they come peacefully to the games, can compete without fear of being arrested.”

“These laws have been in place for thousands of years” Celestia stated. “Even if the changeling queen comes herself we cannot touch her or keep her champions from competing. This law is not our own but it is the law that all the kingdoms competing made and no country will break it for fear of the wrath of all the other countries in it.”

“But she’s evil!” Twilight protested.

“Being a princess means that sometimes you must do what you don’t want to in order to preserve and promote peace in Equestria.”

“I understand, it just seems wrong” Twilight replied thinking about what this meant “So who are her champions?” she asked.

“There are seventeen forms that were filled out and many changelings have been coming into the city as well.”

They are under tight surveillance of course” Shiningarmor replied.

“There are no names on them though” Twilight replied.

“They do not need them. Only when they sign up in the arena on the day of the competition will they have to give their names. But we can see them now if we wish.”

“That is a good idea” Luna replied. “We think that it would be wise to gain some information on what their plan may be.”

They all decided to head to the section of the castle where the changelings were staying. When they arrived they saw dozens of changelings in the halls but when the changelings saw the princesses and the stern prince with his guards they gave them plenty of room to walk. When they came to the main door Shining Armor knocked on it.

“Get the door will you?” they heard a very familiar voice call out. The voice they all knew from the wedding, it would seem that Queen Chrysalis herself came to the games. The door was opened by one of Chrysalis’s minions who strutted aside to allow them to enter the dimly lit green room. “Greetings” the queen said to them as she laid upon her stone throne. “What do I owe this honor?”

“You!” Shiningarmor hissed.

“Hello darling” Chrysalis replied presenting her fangs in a grin. Cadance took a step towards her enraged by the comment. “Na ah ah, I wouldn’t do that if I were you. Unless you want to break the Equestrian Game rules that is.”

“What is your plan this time?” Celestia asked the queen with slanted eyes. “Are you going to attack sometime in the games?”

“Has it ever occurred to you that I am here to just enjoy the games?” Chrysalis asked with a grin.

“If it were only that simple” Celestia replied.

“Believe what you want o paranoid one.”

“Enough of thous games” Luna cut in. “Tell us the truth!”

“That is the truth.”

Luna stepped closer to the queen “If thou art lying, we will personally hunt thou down and make thee suffer.”

Chrysalis was about to reply when a door opened on the side of the room and in walked Trixie “Oh, I see you are busy my queen” she replied. Trixie, who had no wings because of a spell put on her, looked like a regular unicorn to them “I will come back later.”

“Trixie?” Twilight asked completely shocked.

“Nonsense” Queen Chrysalis replied. “Come! Meet our host for these games, Princess Cadance and Prince Shinningarmor.

“I would rather not” Trixie timidly replied.

“Trixie” the queen called more sternly.

“Fine” Trixie rolled her eyes then gave the prince and princess a short curtsy.

“The rest of you I believe already know my new pet. She is Trixie the Great Alicorn Slayer and one of my champions who will participate in the magic duels.”

“Trixie, why are you with this fiend?” Twilight asked.

“Its…it’s a long story” Trixie replied.

“Enough chit chat, now if you please I need you to leave so my new champion can get some rest” Chrysalis stated.

“We will go, but know that whatever you are up to Chrysalis it will not succeed” Celestia stated then led her party out and back to the throne room. “I thought something was amidst with the changelings, it seems that Queen Chrysalis is trying to get revenge for us spoiling her last plan at the wedding.”

“What is Trixie doing with her though?” Twilight asked.

“I do not know, but Chrysalis might have recruited her in order to parade her around as the one who defeated you.”

“What should we do?”

Celestia thought for a long time then finally answered Twilights question “you must enter the games.”

“What?!”

“Princesses can enter the games although it is rare and has not happened for over a thousand years. You must fight Trixie in the magic duel and beat her, and then when she is defeated we will pry her for answers so we may know what is going on, what happened to Gaia, and why she’s not with him anymore.”

“Is there another way?” Twilight asked.

“No, my hoofs are tied by the laws. You must find out what is happening while battling Trixie.”

Twilight thought about it but not seeing any better approach eventually agreed to the Princess plan. “Sister” Luna suddenly spoke up.

“Yes Luna.”

“We know not what foul tricks Chrysalis has planned. If somehow Twilight is defeated by one such trick then we need another pony to be in the magic duels.”

“Who?”

“Why us of course dear sister.”

Celestia nodded “Very well Luna, we will have you both signed up right away.”

Twilight smiled thankful that not all the pressure was on her shoulders, but something still seemed odd about the whole ordeal.


“Really? My new pet!” Trixie scolded Chrysalis as Gaia removed the spell that was hiding her wings. “And what was the deal with Trixie the Great Alicorn Slayer? Makes me sound like some kind of monster!”

“I thought it sounded good though…” Chrysalis began.

“It was a good performance from the both of you” Gaia stated. “Celestia, if she stays true to her nature will have Twilight join the magic duels to face you and try to figure out our plans.”

“But why hide my wings?” Trixie asked.

“More incentive for Twilight to face you. By now Celestia had taught Twilight how to perform many deep and powerful spells and is confident that any unicorn even with some sly tricks will be no match for her. What better place to reclaim Twilights honor than at the Equestrian games?” Gaia then looked at Chrysalis “hopefully you got Luna riled up enough where she joined the magic duel as well. She always had warrior blood in her and when it is stirred she just has to fight.”

“When is the magic duel?” Lightningdust asked.

“The day after tomorrow” Gaia replied. “First we must focus on your race though; you must beat some of the fastest flyers in Equestria tomorrow.”

“It will be fine, I know what currents to expect and the courses dangers, besides with the training you gave me I cannot lose.”

“Confidence is fine but overconfidence will lose you the game” Gaia warned her. “Get the most distance that you can and keep the lead while preserving your energy for the last section, don’t even think about slowing down to mock the other racers. That can come after the race if you want, but not during it.”

“Right” Lightningdust replied.

“My queen” a changeling called coming into the room.

Chrysalis turned to him “Yes?”

“Word just came in, Princess Twilight and Princess Luna both signed up for the magic duel.”

“Just as you predicted Gaia” Chrysalis replied.

“I’m glad that Celestia is still as predictable as she always was” Gaia replied. He looked at Trixie and could see how nervous she had become. “You alright Trixie? You can still back out if you wish, you don’t have to do this. The plan is not too deep where we are committed yet.”

Trixie took a gulp; she had planned on fighting Twilight but Luna too? She looked around at them all staring at her waiting for an answer. “No” she finally replied “I have to do this, I will fight them in the duels.”

“You will do fine Trixie” Gaia replied. Suddenly a huge bell tolled in the stadium “well sounds like it’s about time for the opening ceremony to start.” They all got up and headed out the door but before Trixie went out Gaia stopped her and hid her wings again with magic. When he was done he grabbed a piece of cloth and gave it to her “Trixie I want you to have this.” Trixie took it and unfolded the cloth which was a deep blue cape interlayered with sparkling silver strands that reflected the lights in a sparkling fashion.

Trixie looked at the capes symbol which was a shooting star going into a gold goblet. “What does it mean?” she asked.

“That is your ancestors Starswirl the Bearded’s symbol. I think that he would have wanted you to wear it during the games.”

Trixie hugged the cape with a sudden appreciation of it “Thank you Gaia” she replied then went out the door putting the cape on as she went.

The opening of the games were spectacular with acts, music, fireworks, extreme shows of magic by the royal guard who’s magic danced around the crowds in wonderful fashion. Up in the private stands sat the rulers of the different lands in Equestria. There were the rulers of the Griffins, Minotaur’s, of course the royal sisters and the rest of the royal family but none made more noise of excitement or clapped harder than the changeling queen Chrysalis who the royal sisters stared at with extreme distrust. Chrysalis though did not care for marching behind the crystal ponies and in front of the griffins were her champions 13 caped champions like that of a secret cult and four nervous looking ponies one of which was Trixie who was wearing proudly the cape that Gaia had given her.

“Isn’t that Starswirl’s symbol?” Luna whispered to Celestia referring to Trixie’s cape.

“Yes, she must know that they are related” Celestia replied taking greater interest in Trixie now than she did before.

“Hey, that’s Lyra!” Twilight suddenly shouted.

“Who?” Shinningarmor asked.

“Lyra! She lives in Ponyville” she replied. “But why is she with the changelings?”

“Sister, those ponies…they art Trixies friends from before” Luna whispered to Celestia.

“The ones that Gaia was involved with?” Celestia asked.

“The very same.”

Celestia sighed she knew that something was amiss but whether Gaia was involved or not was becoming the real mystery. All the evidence seemed to point that Queen Chrysalis had picked up these four ponies from somewhere to help her chances in the games. However, according to what Luna had told her Gaia might somehow be involved and if he was involved then there was no telling what he had planned. This strengthened her resolve to find out from Trixie what she knew.

“What do you say, not a bad line up don’t you think Celestia?” Chrysalis called to her after her changeling team passed them by. Celestia did not reply but looked away towards the other ponies marching across the field. Chrysalis just chuckled to herself in a very good mood as she watched the ceremonies proceedings. After the ceremony had finished and the royal phoenix lit a giant golden torch the champions split up to their own rooms to prepare for tomorrows games.