• Published 27th Sep 2013
  • 4,294 Views, 298 Comments

The Monster Within - Uberdeathninja



A creature thought long extinct appears in Equestria, but it bears a terrible curse, one that could destroy their whole world

  • ...
35
 298
 4,294

Ch. 12- Black Laughter

The day kicked off with much celebrating, since today was the day of Nightmare Night. Everyone celebrated, except Boreas. He despised today, mostly because he had to wear his ridiculous costume. So, he just laid under the covers, unresponsive to any amount of light or prodding.

"It's a beautiful day, quit pretending to be asleep!" Complained Luna, as she tried to push a giant, stubborn reptile out of her bed, to little avail. Boreas wanted nothing to with today, or tonight, or any time in between, he just wanted to be alone with his thoughts. Finally, Luna gave up trying to budge him, and stormed out of the room, quite disgruntled. Satisfied, Boreas continued to lay on the bed, thinking bout what he was to do tonight. He had to use the element of laughter, summon Hallowed, and let it destroy Celestia. But what about him? After Celestia was gone, what purpose would he have? Maybe he'd return to the forest, continue to expand his wild domain further. But what of Luna? She would become heartbroken if Celestia died, and if he left, she would only think he betrayed her. That was his original plan, But how could he go through with it now? Boreas sighed. He didn't like it, but he had to do this. Celestia had to answer for her sins, and Boreas would have to kill and betray as many "friends" as he needed to if he wanted to reach this goal. That was what the wild did, after all. He was loyal to no one, no one but himself.

Finally, Boreas got up, and sat somberly on the balcony as he waited for nightfall. After an hour or so, Luna found Boreas sitting alone on the balcony, staring sadly into the horizon. It was close to nightfall, and the sunset was breathtaking. Boreas, however, didn't seem to pay it any mind. Luna trotted up to Boreas, snapping him out of his thoughts.

"Quite a sunset, huh? Celestia really outdid herself on this one." Said Luna. Boreas did not respond at first, but finally nodded, a look of sadness on his face. This was the same sunset as the one when humanity was exterminated, either converted into ponies or wiped off the face of existence completely. However, Boreas did not feel angry, just... sad. Sad for his race, sad for himself for being left alone for so long, and even sad for Celestia, for whatever drove her to become so evil, so depraved... His thoughts were silenced when Luna put her hoof around Boreas, as if to comfort him.

"I know what you're thinking. I understand your pain, all those years of being alone... it drives one to madness. I should know, I succumbed to it. But you, Boreas... I have faith in you. I know that you don't hate me, so why do you fight every pony you see? I know you can be so much more... I'm sure of it." as she said this, she looked up to the sunset sky, and continued.

"I know you hate my sister, and probably all ponies right now, but give them a chance, one should not be judged by the sins of their fathers or mothers, after all. I know when then the time comes, you'll see what I mean. You have so much potential, don't waste it being bitter. Remember, Monsters are not born, they are made. And, like anything that is made, they can be unmade." She finished. Boreas looked down, moved by her speech, but his decision was final. As Luna left to raise the moon, Boreas took out the element of laughter, then turned to his beast form, and jumped off the balcony, into the royal gardens to begin the ritual. He gathered the materials, none of which will be named for the sake of none of you readers trying this out for yourself, then proceeded with the summoning of Hallowed. As the moon slowly rose to the height of its climb over the night sky, Boreas rattled his staff, chanting in a tongue long forgotten, even by man, then slammed the macabre staff to the ground, casting the spell. Suddenly, Discord appeared beside Boreas, smiling.

"Well, finally made our decision, have we? I knew you'd come around. So, when does our friend get here?" Asked Discord. Suddenly, though, as if to answer the draconequus' question, the ground began to shake, and horrible, evil, demonic laughter filled the air as the element of laughter began to glow brighter and brighter. The laughter echoed across the land, terrifying ponies young and old, Trick-or-Treating fillies and colts hiding behind whatever they could find as it spread. It would not save them, though, for Hallowed had come. Slowly, the ground around the pentagram turned black and soupy, like tar, and a round shape rose from the black ick, and it slowly turned white as the gunk dripped off of it, revealing a broken, rusted halo, two empty, evil eye sockets that looked more like fractures, and a long, spiny tail, like a thorny vine of sorts that swung and writhed like some horrible, spiky tentacle. Finally, the monster spread its horrible, blade-like wings, materialized two ghostly, floating hands to its side, and opened a cavernous, crack-like mouth, more like it split it's front half open than merely 'opened' it. Then, a horrible, single red eye rolled into view from the horrid, fathomless void in its 'mouth', floating in the opening as if suspended by magic, since nothing else held it there. Finally, after the freedom of the horrid demon was at hand, Hallowed looked around, first at Boreas, then at Discord. Then, Hallowed roared, a horrible, screeching, evil roar that guaranteed nightmares for any child that heard it, and the Element of Laughter shattered, breaking the seal binding Hallowed to the ethereal void for good.

"Awesome! Oh, I'm going to have so much fun with this guy... Oh, the chaos that will ensue!" Discord cheered. Boreas, however, looked in horror at what he had just summoned. He heard this thing was terrifying, but this creature was something else entirely, as if it represented all the fear, darkness, and hate in the world, and made a horrifying mockery of them. He wanted it gone, but it was too late. He already summoned it.

"Boreas, I can't thank you enough for all the help you've been. I mean, seriously, you stole the Element of Laughter, summoned an eldritch demon of laughter and evil, and all in the name of revenge! Oh, you deserve a round of applause!" Suddenly, Discord and Hallowed started clapping, and a spotlight shone on Boreas from nowhere, and confetti and flowers were dropped on him from the same place as the spotlight, which is to say, nowhere.

"Yes, yes, bravo, I commemorate you! Unfortunately, Bory, old pal..." Discord put his arm around Boreas before continuing. "... This is where we part ways. Sorry, pal, but you're just too much of a Debby Downer to hang out with me, But Hallowed here is just the kind of guy I can carry a conversation with!" Suddenly, the two entities of chaos brofisted, and Discord continued his rant, like the backstabbing jerk he is.

"Hey! No name-calling! I don't judge you for being a loser, do I? Anyway, Like I was saying, I just don't see you and me working out any more, So I'ma take off now. Later!" Then, the two vanished in a puff of black, evil-looking smoke, and Boreas fell to his knees, wondering what kind of hell he had just unleashed upon the world. Soon after, Celestia and Luna flew down to the garden, and saw Boreas, on his knees, and looking like he was about to kill himself. Aside from him, The garden was also trashed; statues shattered, bushes uprooted, and a black, bubbling puddle of tar-like ooze in the center of the upturned garden. Celestia, needless to say, was furious.

"Damien, what did you do?! Look at this, the whole garden is ruined, and what the heck is that puddle? Is that oil, or what? Graah, this will take forever to fix! I'm going to kill you for this!" Celestia ranted, unaware of a white, spherical demon that was rising behind her. Luna and Boreas noticed it, though, and showed it quite plainly. When Celestia turned to see what the two were so afraid of, she almost fainted on the spot. Hallowed, though, merely stared at Celestia with his single, red eye closely and intently, as if studying the tall, white alicorn, and seemed to smile as Celestia shook at its visage, as if absorbing the fear that she felt and feeding upon it. Suddenly, though, Hallowed roared, then soared into the air, taking off for Ponyville like a bullet. Celestia backed up to Boreas, paler than usual, sweating, and trembling like crazy. Frankly, she looked like she'd seen a ghost (which is kind of true).

"D-Damien... W-what the h-heck w-w-was tha-that?!?!" Asked a scared-shitless Celestia. Boreas just shrugged, then walked away, whistling.

"Boreas! What was that? Did you have something to do with it?" Demanded Luna sternly. Boreas looked down, then nodded.

"S-see, Lu-Luna! T-that h-human is d-d-d-d-dangerous!" Celestia accused shakily, still shaking like a leaf after her close encounter with Hallowed. Luna, however, was unfazed.

"Boreas, I'm going to have a talk with you later. Right now, though, we need to stop that thing before it terrorizes any small villages." Luna declared.

"Luna, are you out of your MIND!?!? That human summoned that thing, and you're just going to let that slide and expect him to help us!?" Celestia screamed, Causing Luna to shoot her a silencing glare.

"I know he did wrong, but I don't think he did this for laughs, Celestia. Someone else was behind this, and I'm going to find out who. I don't care what you think anymore, I'm not giving up on Boreas just because you can't be bothered to apologize to him." Celestia and Boreas stared in shock at Luna, who had always been meek and quiet until now.

"Boreas, get your butt over here, we're finding that demon and punting him back to whatever hell he came from. Celestia, make yourself useful for once and keep people from panicking while we fight this thing." Luna demanded. Boreas instinctively went beast mode, then tried to run toward hallowed, but Luna stopped him and cast him a stern glare, and Boreas sighed, changed back to human form, and got on Luna's back, despite the fact she was half his height. Despite Boreas's embarrassment, and the obvious size/weight difference, Luna took off, and they searched the skies for the ghost-like demon of evil, and Celestia stood there, stunned that she got chewed out by her younger sister.

Hallowed laughed maniacally as he threw fireballs from his hands at the fleeing townsfolk with cruel precision, hitting areas right in front of them so they couldn't run away. As he laughed and slaughtered, Discord sat in the background, eating some cotton candy from a cloud he conjured. Suddenly, a huge, guttural roar sounded outside of the town, causing Discord to choke on the cotton candy he was eating. Finally, he got it out of his throat, and saw the source of the noise: A giant, 24-foot-long, angry-looking lizard. Discord quickly got nervous at the sight of it, but Hallowed seemed unfazed as he tore unfortunate ponies in half with his hands, laughing all the while. Boreas, hating to be ignored, then leaped at Hallowed, slamming into him and sending him flying at Discord. Taken by surprise, both he and Hallowed both laid there, dazed. Suddenly, Hallowed got up and started laughing as per usual, throwing fireballs at Boreas all the while.

Boreas, however, wasn't affected by them, to Hallowed's surprise and dismay, and Boreas soon broke into another charge, and tackled Hallowed again, then threw him outside of town, where he could beat the ever-loving crap out of him in peace. As Boreas left to do just that, Discord got up and rubbed his head, registering that he was in extreme physical pain. Meanwhile, Boreas had just finished using Hallowed's face as a doormat, and got right back up to face the original traitor he'd come for, and let loose a horrible, earth-shaking roar, letting Discord know that he was next as he charged forward toward the town, leaving a comically-flattened and battered Hallowed behind. Luna watched in awe as Boreas weaved through the city, taking utmost care to not crush a single building, and slammed into Discord with enough force to send him flying through several buildings, and then he pounced on Discord, roaring in the draconequis's face. Suddenly, to Boreas' shock, Discord vanished in a puff of smoke, and reappeared over Boreas, gloating.

"Ha! Some monster you are, you dumb brick! Did you trade your brain for those muscles? Ha ha ha!!!" Discord laughed absurdly at his own joke, infuriating Boreas, so the colossal, reptilian beast, in an attempt to shut Discord up, arched his back, and launched his spines at Discord, forcing him to dodge.

"That's a new one..." Muttered Luna, in awe of Boreas's new power. Boreas, however, didn't seem to care, and his spines seemed to grow right back from his skin as the monstrous human/beast lunged once more at Discord, and the citizens watched in awe as the two fought tooth-and-nail, viciously attacking each other like wild animals. Discord bit and scratched, which was rather effective thanks to his unique appendages, But Boreas had more experience with this kind of fighting than the patron of chaos, and the battle raged through the city for many hours. Celestia, who had arrived just in time to see this spectacle, marveled at how savagely Boreas fought Discord, but took as much care as he did to prevent more collateral damage. Then, she realized that Discord was free. She wanted to yell at Boreas, but decided to do that later, after he put Discord in his place. Unfortunately for everyone, Boreas didn't stop there. The two grappled for a while longer, Then Boreas got a hold of Discord's upper jaw, forcing his head back.

"Alright, Damien, that's enough of that..." Called Celestia, but Boreas paid her no mind. His inner beast demanded blood, and this formidable adversary was exactly what it craved. Celestia and Luna (and the Mane Six, who happened to be there) watched in horror as Boreas gripped Discord's lower jaw, then pulled the two apart, first causing a sick, crunching sound to come from Discord's skull, then Boreas tore Discord in half, sending massive amounts of blood and gore everywhere, and Boreas stood there, panting, his reptilian form coated in the viscera of his fallen adversary, and his yellow eyes glowed with a brightness to rival the sun itself. Suddenly, Boreas roared, shaking the ground and shattering windows as he sounded, and he snapped back into reality, looking at the halved corpse in his hands, then at Luna and Celestia, who were mortified. And, frankly, so was he.

"Uh, I think we need a different talk, Boreas..." Said Luna quietly.