• Published 27th Sep 2013
  • 4,294 Views, 298 Comments

The Monster Within - Uberdeathninja



A creature thought long extinct appears in Equestria, but it bears a terrible curse, one that could destroy their whole world

  • ...
35
 298
 4,294

Ch. 10- Tempted by power, sold by revenge

Boreas sat on the couch, thinking back to the day he placed his wolf plushy on that grave. He continued to wonder why he did it, though he had many theories. Was it that he was tired of fighting? Did he feel bad for those who he trampled upon to reach his goal? He had no answer, only that it happened, and he was done fighting the ponies. Their zeal made him sad, for they were only protecting a coward. And now he was so close to his goal... but so far away. No matter how close he got to Celestia, he couldn't find it in himself to end her miserable life. This infuriated him beyond all reason. All this time of planning and antagonizing, only to grow weak in her presence?! Unacceptable!!! Something was holding him back... but what? Who? What caused him to grow weakness so close to his moment of triumph? While in thought, Luna came in the room to tell him that his likely vegetable-based dinner was ready. Boreas acknowledged her with a smile. She was naive, but Boreas found that endearing of the princess. She was so very innocent, she didn't even realize his true intentions, and still cared for him like a brother, given his history, and still loved her sister dearly, despite hers... Then it hit him. These feelings he had, they were because of her. His one obstacle in the way of his final victory, the one thing he had to destroy... Was the one creature he hoped to never have to harm.

The Irony of the situation made him gag as he sat down for "dinner", which was probably just more veggies. Suddenly, a glorious scent filled Boreas's nostrils: Meat, and lots of it. Boreas stared in confusion as a large plate of various meat products was placed before him, and Luna sat at the other side of the table, smiling as happily as she could.

"I thought you would get tired of veggies, so I sneaked some griffon food in here for you. Do you like it?" She asked. Boreas's eyes filled with tears as the glorious buffet was placed before him. He ate with extreme haste, but had to fight back the urge to throw it all back up on account of his guilt. Here she was, being so nice to him, and yet she stood in his way to Celestia's death. Did he even need this victory so bad, if it meant hurting her? Boreas quickly shook the thoughts away. She was a tool, nothing more, and had fulfilled her usefulness. Yet why could he not stop feeling so awful about disposing of her? He despised Ponies, all of them! yet this one... She accepted him, despite his violence, and believed she could change him for the better. In his mind, he knew she would only cause him further delay, but, in his heart, he felt he would never forgive himself if he betrayed her. His conflicting emotions overwhelmed him, and he vomited all over the floor.

"Eww, I told you to slow down, Boreas!" Cried Luna, disgusted, but slightly amused. Feeling ready to throw up again, Boreas excused himself, and walked out into the garden. As he walked, he tore up bushes and broke statues in a fit of rage. Why was this so hard!? Why could he not just get this over with!? He lifted a strange statue of a creature he'd never seen before, some kind of horse-headed snake-bird-dragon thing, and threw it into the ground, shattering it. However, as he did so, a giant puff of pink smoke erupted from the shattered lawn ornament, and a creature just like the statue depicted rose into the air, stretching his mismatched limbs.

"Graaaaah... A few thousand years can be a real pain in the neck!" The odd creature said, rubbing the back of his neck. Boreas was stunned. Never had he seen a creature so odd, not even the griffons came close in the weirdness factor, and they were pretty damn weird.

"So, not much of a talker are ya? What exactly are you, anyway?" The mismatched aberration asked as it inspected Boreas intently. Finally, a light bulb literally appeared over his head, and he seemed struck with recognition.

"Hey, wait a second! You're one of those things Celestia tried to kill off! What were they now... Hue-mens, was it?" The creature said. Boreas said nothing, still confused by the... whatever the hell it was.

"Well, for your information, I am discord. May I ask your name, human?" Boreas tilted his head in confusion, but said nothing.

"... Okay, I'll just call you Boreas. Now, what's a member of a long-dead race doing around the castle of the destroyer of fun herself? Let me guess... revenge?" Discord asked hopefully, elbowing Boreas playfully. Boreas, despite his confusion due to the suddenness of this scenario, Nodded hesitantly, then raised his arm as if to protest, but quickly lowered it. Discord, however, gave a sly smile.

"Ohhh, There's someone you don't want getting hurt, is there?" Asked Discord. Boreas tried to protest, but Discord held a claw to Boreas's lips, silencing him.

"Now, now, we don't want to let the readers see you talk just yet, now do we? That'd just spoil the fun!" Boreas quickly grew frustrated at this "Discord" character, who needs to stop agitating the fourth wall before I cancel the story.

"I heard that." Discord said. "Now, as I was saying, I can help you with your little plan, human. See, I've got a grudge with ol' sun-butt myself, and I can tell you'd do anything to get her back for extinctifying your race." Suddenly, Discord put his lion arm around Boreas, and pulled him close.

"You and I, kid, We got a lot in common, and I'd think a great partnership could be made here, see?" Discord said, poking a talon into Boreas's chest for emphasis. "I'll tell you what. You help me, Boreas, and I'll help you. Scratch my back, I'll scratch yours. Waddaya say, partners?" Discord said, holding out his bird hand for Boreas to shake. After some hesitation, Boreas shook his hand, sealing the deal.

A deadly (for Celestia) alliance had just been forged, and all of Equestria would feel the magnitude of it's effects.