• Published 7th Oct 2013
  • 513 Views, 5 Comments

An Enchanted Melody - DeathMustang



A dark past, a bright future! Can a human turned pony escape her nightmarish past? Can she find a place to belong in the land of Equestria? Or will new dangers be awaiting her!

  • ...
3
 5
 513

The Element

Enchantix woke feeling better than ever! She felt refreshed and ready to take on this strange world. Well…ready to face off with that spirit anyhow! She needed some answers and that over grown deer was going to give them to her. One way or another! Orion purred in his sleep as she stroked his side. The feline had been worried sick when she’d returned after the fire. Once she’d escaped the pegasi, she’d picked him up and returned to Everfree. She didn’t know what it was about this forest that drew her in. They’d camped out beneath a tree with a large network of roots. She needed to find a home for them. Everfree was as good a place as any, even with all its monsters. Orion stirred bringing her out of her thoughts.

“Morning dear,” she smiled.

“Morning Mistress,” he stretched lazily.

“Orion, I’m going to have a word with Ramnaruck. I want you to explore while I’m gone and see if you can a place we can make a home in. A cave, or hollowed out tree maybe, anything you can find,” she climbed out of the tree’s roots to meet the new day.

“Of course, you can count on me Mistress,”

“I know I can. Stay out of trouble dear, I’ll be back as soon as I get done,” she cantered off to the gorge pondering on how she was going to approach the spirit.
The path to the gorge wasn’t easy to find but she managed. All she needed now was to get his attention. Which she wasn’t really sure how? There was no telling how deep this gorge was the spirit could very well be asleep. Tapping her hoof on the soft dirt she pondered how to wake him safely. Some people just weren’t early risers after all. Of course, a song, she could sing him awake but, which one. Then it hit her, the melody her mom used to sing to her! How’d it go again?

“Each day when the sun rises I hurry from my sleep. I can’t wait to greet you with my song.
You are every kind of flower, every animal I meet. Nature you are full of grace and majesty,” her song traveled down the gorge. Ramnaruck opened his eyes deep within the gorge his ears perked at the sound of the gentle melody.

“From your skies the snow gently falls to the earth. From your trees the birds nest and play. In your oceans the fish school and travel the world, Oh, nature please don’t ever go away. Oh, nature please don’t please don’t ever go away,” she could see her aura travel over the gorge to the trees beyond.

“Each day when the sun rises I hurry from my sleep. I can’t wait to greet you with my song,” the ground shook as the as the spirit began to rise. “You are every kind of flower, every animal I meet. Nature you are grace and majesty,” the last note hung in the air as the spirit rose from the gorge.

“We need to talk Ramnaruck,”

“I’ve been expecting you my dear. You have a very beautiful voice; it brings harmony to all that hears it,”

“Enough of the complements spirit, you know why I’m here. What is this collar? How am I able to use it,” Enchantix demanded. The spirit smiled bringing his head down to her level.

“The regalia you wear is very special young one. It holds great power to the one meant to use it. But, it take certain quality to wield it,” the spirit shock its head as he explained birds took flight as they were dislodged.

“You’re not making any sense spirit. That doesn’t explain how I was able to use it yesterday.”

“Tell me Enchantix, do you know of the Elements of Harmony,”

“Of course I do, Honesty, Loyalty, Kindness, Generosity, Laughter, and Magic. Their bearers live in Ponyville. What does that have to do with…,” Enchantix froze when she thought it over. “You mean to tell me this is…”

“The seventh element,” the spirit answered for her.

“Hold on. This thing is an element but I thought there was only six,” this couldn’t be right.

“True, only six elements are known but, there was a seventh element that was lost before the Alicorn Princes arrived in this land. I have guarded the element for over a thousand years waiting for its bearer to appear.”

“Okay, say I believe all this. Just what element is it,”

“Come now dear. You already know the answer,” the spirit leaned closer.

“What…”

“What was it that allowed you to stand before me unafraid? What gave you the determination to leap into a burning house to save a foal?” Enchantix gazed up at him unsure. She thought for a long moment, Ramnaruck gave her the time she needed.

“Bravery,” was all she said. Ramnaruck nodded.

“Yes my dear, you are the bearer of the Element of Bravery.”
Enchantix couldn’t believe this, she was an element of harmony. This just made things a lot more complicated.

§

Orion padded along the undergrowth looking for a place Mistress and he could make a home. He sensed this forest was dangerous but kept a brave face. Enchantix wasn’t afraid so he wouldn’t be either. However, he was worried he wouldn’t find shelter. It had to be big yet secure, so that large predators couldn’t get in. This wasn’t going to be easy but this feline wasn’t about to let his owner down.

He walked for some time; he even climbed the trees going from branch to branch yet still nothing. He had to find something soon he was not going back empty pawed. He searched and searched until finally he found what he was looking for. It was a massive willow tree with odd twisted roots that covered the ground and rocks around it. Finding a hole big enough he slipped in to find exactly what he needed. A large cave made of stone and tree roots. It was perfect! Predators couldn’t get in because of the roots and, the roots kept the cave roof intact. All it needed was Enchantix’s approval! Orion headed out to find his owner eager to show her what he’d found. Only when he stepped outside a sudden rustle in the bushes alerted him. Arching his back he hissed at the possible threat. However, he lowered his guard when he saw who it was. A familiar cream-colored colt came stumbling out of the bushes. What was he doing in this dangerous place?

“Ugh… note to self never go near a badgers den,” the colt groaned shaking himself free of leaves that clung to his coat. He then finally noticed the cat standing not too far away. “Oh, hello there,”

“Meow,”

“Golly, I’ve never seen a cat as big as you before,” Orion looked at the foal before seeing what he meant. The calico was the same size was the foal if not a little bigger. “You have a collar…Orion, that’s an odd name…
Orion hissed cutting the foal off, he was proud off his name.

“Sorry, didn’t mean to offend you. Say maybe you can help me,” Orion perked his eyes forward listening. “I’m looking for somepony; she saved my life in a fire. She’s big with a purple coat with green markings. I want to thank her for saving me,”

So the foal sought his Mistress, should he take him to her. This foal, Applebuck, was in a lot of danger here. Enchantix would be worried about the foal and angry with Orion if he just left him. Orion flicked his tail walking off in the direction of his Mistress. He looked back at the foal gesturing for him to follow.

“You know where she is,” Orion nodded. “Then lead the way Orion,”

They traveled quickly Applebuck eager to meet his rescuer. Orion made sure to move at an easy pace for the foal, it was a long way to go.

§

Enchantix trotted along the path away from the gorge in search of Orion. The conversation with Ramnaruck left her unsettled. She was an Element of Harmony! It was unbelievable the fact that she was the bearer of Bravery. After their talk Ramnaruck had offered to teach her how to use her magic. Knowing that she needed to learn, she couldn’t really say no. She’d learned a lot from him; however worry for her beloved cat caused her to cut their lesson short. Ramnaruck had understood stating that if she ever needed him just come to the gorge and sing. The ancient spirit seemed to get a lot of joy out of hearing her sing. Now she just needed to find her cat. She paused on a tall hill overlooking a small portion of the forest.

“Orion where are you,”

As though he heard her feline companion appeared from the trees with Applebuck right behind him. Wait… Applebuck what was he doing in the Everfree forest. She galloped down the hill towards them. Her pounding hooves alerting them Orion meow happily racing to meet her. He leaped onto her back nuzzling her long neck.

“Applebuck what are you doing here,” she turned her attention to the foal. “You should know better than to come to Everfree alone why isn’t Applejack with you,” she scolded him.

“I wanted to thank you for saving my life. It’s my fault the farmhouse caught on fire,”

“Your fault,”

“If I hadn’t been trying to get a baking cutie mark the fire would have never started in the first place. Now our homes gone and it’s my fault,” tears streamed down the little ones face. He tried to stop them by rubbing his eyes but the waterworks kept coming. He pushed his cap over his head to hide the tears.

“Oh, little one,” she whispered. Pulling him close she let him cry. She wondered if his family knew this. “Shhh…it’s alright Applebuck, you didn’t mean for it to happen. It was an accident I’m sure they understand,”

“But, our home is gone! Even Prince Dusk Shine’s magic can’t fix it. There’s nothing left,” the colt cried even harder.

Enchantix nuzzled the little one hoping to comfort him. She hummed a gentle melody to him feeling her magic stir was she did. She didn’t care what it did; she just wanted to comfort Applebuck. Her magic flowed around them like a mist traveling into the trees. It traveled throughout the forest affecting all it came across. It brought a sense of peace with it destroying the dark aura that seemed ever present in the forest.

The creatures of the forest welcomed this unknown magic that brought peace wherever it went. None knew who it belonged too but all hoped it stayed.

Author's Note:

Because of college I won't be able to update chapters very often. The video is on the song that Enchantix sings. I plan to do this whenever she sings in the chapters.