• Published 23rd Sep 2013
  • 986 Views, 22 Comments

Twilight Hosts a Party - Amante



In her latest attempt to get ponies to read, Twilight decides to host a book themed party. What could possibly go wrong?

  • ...
0
 22
 986

Let's Get This Party Started!

Forty-five seconds.

“What could be taking everypony so long?” Twilight asked to no one in particular, or perhaps it was directed to Spike. She was staring at the clock, so that made it hard to tell.

One minute.

Twilight started to consider what could have gone wrong.

I know Spike sent the invitations. I supervised the entire process! What could- oh no!

Her eyes widened as she reached an epiphany.

Obviously they didn’t get their invitations because they were too vulnerable in their fire state and so were intercepted by the PARTY GREMLIN! The evil fiend from a thousand years ago that went about ruining the precious parties that ponies put up, because as everypony knows, if nopony parties, then we all go insane. The same PARTY GREMLIN that the Princess never ever brought up in conversation once, even when it would have been relevant like during a history lesson!

She blew her bangs in frustration.

Okay, I’ll admit, that does sound far fetched, even for me. Besides, Pinkie was here earlier and she knew about the party, which means that the others know as well. I’m also pretty sure Celestia wouldn’t not mention something as serious as that. Again.

One minute, twelve seconds.

Is the place hard to find or something? It’s kinda hard to miss, I mean, it’s a three storey tree with windows. Heh. Three story tree.

Fear coursed through her veins as she came to a horrible realization.

They must not be able to find the library because the library no longer exists. When I wasn’t looking, a singularity must have swallowed up the entire tree! Now the question is, what caused it? Of course, all things considered, the answer is obvious. Roth-Theau the malignant reality warping specter whose only goal in life, maybe life is the wrong word, was to cause pain and suffering for ponies. Oh, why didn’t Celestia ever warn me about its eventual return?! Not only that, but since I’m separated from my friends that means we can’t use the Elements! ALL IS LOST!!!

A purple hoof swiftly made contact with her face.


One minute, forty seconds.

Unless… unless… OH SWEET CELESTIA NO! SAY IT AIN’T SO!

Suddenly a blank expression attached itself to her face as shock filled her entire body.

On their way here they must have been abducted by… by… HUMANS. Okay, calm down Twilight. Maybe the stories were wrong, maybe they weren’t all bad! Oh, who am I kidding?! My poor friends! The atrocities they must be putting them through. They could be brushing Rarity’s mane, or even Applejack’s mane! I am so sorry, AJ, there was nothing I could do. Or worse, they could be writing stories about them; putting them in absurd situations for their own sick amusement. What if they were writing stories about my friends doing each other?! Oh, I’m sure they’d love that, and since they had the actual thing, they might as well make them put on a demonstra-

She drove her face towards the ground in an attempt to derail these trains of thought.

Spike poked his head into the room from the kitchen. “Everything okay Twilight?”

A muffled sound vaguely resembling, ‘I’m fine’, came as a reply.

One minute, fifty-eight seconds.

Twilight released a sigh of resignation.

I guess they’re not coming. I’m a nothing but a—There was a knock at the door—success!

She trotted over to the door and opened it. On the other side stood an alabaster unicorn mare wearing a cape of sparkling midnight.

Twilight smiled at her first guest for the night. “Rarity! Glad you could make it! Please, come in.”

Her guest smiled in kind. “Of course darling,“ she trotted into the house, “I wouldn’t miss it for the world.”

“Spike! Could you please get Rarity’s cape?” Twilight called into the kitchen.

“Rarity’s here?!” came the excited answer.

The two heard the waddling pitter patter of scaly feet rushing towards them. Spike gave a gentlemanly bow and extended his arm.

“May I take your cape, madam?” His voice clearly imitated the accents of the Canterlot Elite.

Rarity still held her smile, “You may, good sir. Thank you.”

The unicorns shared a glance as they watched Spike carefully put the cape away. Twilight turned to face her guest.

“So, anything interesting happen on your way here?”

“Hmmm… Well nothing too significant, really.”

“No humans or anything?”

Rarity looked straight at tonight’s host, eyebrow arching. “Humans? Twilight, whatever do you-”

Another knock echoed through the library.

Twilight instantly perked up as she gave a giggle more befitting a filly who’d just gotten what she wanted for Hearth’s Warming. “More guests! If you’ll excuse me Rarity.”

“Of course, darling.”

In a short moment, Rarity was joined by Applejack, her brother, and Fluttershy. As they exchanged greetings and indulged in small talk, Spike approached the ever anxious mare who now stood guard at the open door.

“Wow, Twilight, looks like things are starting to pick up.”

She grabbed her assistant and did a little twirl. “Oh, isn’t this just so exciting Spike? Why just imagine, at the end of this night, other ponies will actually start reading.”

Twilight pointed at something in the distance, but since lifting Spike required two hooves, he found himself back on the ground.

“Hi, Lyra! Hi, Bon Bon!” She greeted the approaching ponies.



Twenty minutes, forty-three seconds.

Twilight mentally ticked the last box on her guestlist checklist. She then rolled up the scroll and brought it up for filing in the ‘successful’ folder whilst simultaneously triplicating it for documentation under other headings. It always pleased her to know that her mental landscape was so well organized. Most of the time.

She then brought out her non-mental, physical party list. Arrival, check. Time to get this party started.

“Excuse me, everypony!”

All eyes were on her, “First of all, I’d like to thank you for coming over to celebrate Book Appreciation Day!”

Silence, after being overthrown, led a successful revolution and established a democratic government that watched over the party (Twilight’s party that is). Not long after though, the quiet government was subsequently impeached due to citizen dissatisfaction.

Twilight started to get nervous. “Uh, why don’t we start with the first activity. In the hopes of eliminating any insecurities and possible awkward silences, we are going to have a short round of introductions. Before we begin, any questions?”

A blue hoof made it’s way into the air.

“Yes, Rainbow?”

Rainbow flapped her wings to gain a bit more height as she spoke. “Yeah, Twilight, there are like, thirty ponies in all here and I think we all know each other pretty well already.”

Twilight was flabbergasted. “Oh, well… but the schedule says that-”

A light “boing” sound was heard as a happy pink mare approached the distraught host. “Oh, come on everypony, introductions can be fun. Just think of it like you’re meeting a brand new friend for the first time! Here, I’ll get started.”

She cleared her throat. “Hi! I’m Pinkie Pie.”

The crowd stared back as she awaited a reaction.

“Now, you say ‘Hi, Pinkie Pie.’” she suggested.

A collective “oh” came from those present, and though some were still skeptical on what Pinkie was trying to do, complied and with everypony else said, “Hi, Pinkie Pie.”

“I love parties and sweets. I have super awesome friends. I’m pink. I’m an earth pony. I tend to go on adventures that save Equestria. I’m really, really hyper. I like kumquats and sundaes and soda and sarsparilla. Oh!, and did I mention?”

She took a breath and brought out her Party Cannon™. “I LOVE TO PARTY!”

Confetti and streamers shot out from the cannon’s mouth as Pinkie struck a pose. The ponies “ooooh-ed” at her explosive finale.

She put away her gadget and looked at her prismatic friend. “Top that, Rainbow.”

Rainbow snorted. “Oh please.” She trotted over to the presentation area. “That was nothing, wait ‘till you get a glimpse of me.”

She faced the crowd and unfurled her wings. “I’m Rainbow Dash!” Pause for drama-

“Hi, Rainbow Dash.” So much for dramatic effect.

“I’m the best flyer in all of Equestria!” To prove her point, she did a flip and several twirls, stopping just short of the ceiling.

“I’m pure unadulterated awesome and,” she landed in front of an orange, stetson-wearing pony, “I’m a heck of an athlete.” Her tone was an unmistakable challenge.

Several attendees stomped their hooves at Rainbow’s presentation. With a smirk and in a much softer voice she said, “Ball’s in your court, cowgirl.”

Applejack was unfazed by Rainbow’s challenge and simply trotted past her.

“Hi, Ah’m Applejack.”

“Hi, Applejack.”

“Well, Ah’m not much fer braggin’ but tonight,” she wore her own smirk now, “Ah’ll make an exception.”

This got the aforementioned ball really rolling.

“Hi, I’m Lyra Heartstrings.”

“Hi, Lyra Heartstrings.”

“Uhm, I’m one of the local musicians. My main instrument is also the lyre.” She brought out said lyre and played a short, but entrancing melody.

Admittedly, this wasn’t how Twilight imagined this would go.

“Hello, my name is Zecora, as you can see I am a zebra.”

“Hi, Zecora.”

“Who is a zebra,” added Pinkie.

“I am what you would call an alchemist and I live in the Everfree where strange creatures exist.”

She brought out a small bag and threw it on the ground. It released a sparkling green powder that took on the shapes of various monsters from the mysterious forest.

Still, everypony was enjoying themselves so, plus points.

Once everypony finished their show and tell, the hostess trotted back into the spotlight. “Alright, now that we’ve got introductions done, why don’t we-”

Several ponies cleared their throat and looked at Twilight.

“Uhhh… yes?”

The pink pony spoke up, “Twilight, you haven’t introduced yourself yet.”

Realization washed over her face. “Oh!”

She looked around the room for a moment, then back to her waiting audience.

“Hi, my name is Twilight Sparkle.”

“Hi, Twilight Sparkle.”

Her horn lit up and so did all the books in two bookshelves that were behind her. The books then flew around the library in a chaotic, yet perfect, fashion. They flew this way an that, yet never once did one hit another. They then created subtle, but striking, formations above the ponies’ heads before making their way back to the shelves and reseating themselves perfectly into position.

“And I’m your host for tonight’s events.”

They stomped their hooves wildly.


Forty-five minutes.

Now the party really started to kick in.