• Published 23rd Sep 2013
  • 986 Views, 22 Comments

Twilight Hosts a Party - Amante



In her latest attempt to get ponies to read, Twilight decides to host a book themed party. What could possibly go wrong?

  • ...
0
 22
 986

Why a Party?

It had been one for the records. Pinkie Pie's latest party seemed like it would never end. Unfortunately, the moment Rainbow Dash keeled over, it became evident that it had to.

After exchanging pleasant farewells and receiving assurances from Applejack and Fluttershy that they would get Rainbow home; the—rather large—apartment above Sugarcube Corner was left with only two occupants: a particularly pleasant pink party pony and her friend (a purple unicorn to be exact).

Said unicorn opened her mouth and said, "Well Pinkie, I must say, this has got to be the wildest party you've ever thrown."

Pinkie giggled. "Oh, this was nothing compared to the Mid-Year Milestone Merrymaking."

Her friend raised an eyebrow as the pair walked to the door. "Why? What happened then?"

"Sorry Twilight," Pinkie admonished. "Rarity made me Pinkie Promise that I must—" she grabbed Twilight by the cheek and looked her straight in the eye, "—never speak of this again."

Silence reigned as she let go of Twilight. Silence, whose reign was quickly abolished when the two friends burst into laughter.

"Besides, this party only got out of hand when Rainbow found my special cupcakes."

Twilight found herself once again raising an eyebrow. "I've been meaning to ask, what were in those cupcakes, Pinkie?"

Pinkie’s eyes widened slightly. "Oh you know, a little this and a little that," she grinned and lightly pawed at the ground. "And a whole lot of sugar."

"That would explain why she couldn't sit still... and why she suddenly just started staring at the ceiling. Well, it's been great Pinkie, guess I'll see you tomorrow."

She glanced behind the fluff that was her friend's mane.

"Are you sure you don't need any help cleaning up?"

Pinkie smiled and waved a hoof. "Don't worry Twilight, it isn't as bad as it—"

Pinkie spun around and took a good look at the aftermath of their party; her smile evaporated. Suffice it to say, it was horrible. Several rails from her loft were missing, there was a little hole in the floor, there was a big hole in the wall, some sweets were strewn about, tables were flipped, and the confetti. So. much. confetti.

"Actually Twilight, some help with this would be great."

"No problem, Pinkie."


An hour passed before the apartment seemed habitable again. The confetti was contained and disposed of, the food was cleaned up, and the tables were unflipped. Applejack could help with the rails and holes in the morning. They were just putting a few things back in their proper place when Twilight asked Pinkie a question.

"Hey Pinkie, I've been meaning to ask, why do you throw so many parties?"

This had taken Pinkie by surprise. Her eyebrows began to argue on whether or not to raise themselves or to crease themselves as her eyes simply stared at her purple friend. Her mouth made a few motions that could be interpreted as the beginnings of speech yet nothing coherent—nothing at all, actually—came out. Twilight began to worry about her well-being, but it became unnecessary as Pinkie’s eyes, mouth, and face in general mellowed out once more.

"Well, why wouldn't I, Twilight? I mean, doesn't everypony throw a party during Hearth's Warming, or Nightmare Night, or the Summer Celebration?"

"Well, yes, they do. But I'm talking about the parties like today’s."

Pinkie smiled at her friend. "Oh, well that's easy, Twilight. Remember what I told you this morning?"

Twilight thought for a moment. "Air Appreciation Day? And that we should have an Air Appreciation Affair to celebrate the joy of air?"

Pinkie pointed a hoof in excitement. "Exactly!"

Twilight was confused. "Exactly what?"

Her friend giggled again. "Oh Twilight, it’s Air Appreciation Day. It's a day for us to remember how important air is for our lives. I mean, without air, where would we be now? As a matter of fact, without air we might not even be. Remember last week's Earthworm Extravaganza? Same thing. Without earthworms, what would happen to the soil and all the farms?

"I throw these kinds of parties as a thank you to all the little things that just make life worth living, and as a way to remind ponies that they really shouldn’t take these things for granted. I mean, can you imagine what it would feel like to be forgotten just because you’re in the background? I know I wouldn’t enjoy it.”

Pinkie had the biggest grin on her face, and Twilight found herself slowly matching it. More often than not, it pleasantly surprised her to see her most juvenile friend present such insight into life.

“Wow Pinkie, I never really thought of it that way.”

“Well, what did you think, Twilight? I just threw these parties at random? That’d be silly.”

Twilight bowed her head and blushed. “Heh…”

“Oh, Twilight.” She gave her a big hug. “Sometimes you’re just so silly.”

She thought about what Pinkie had said, and frankly, it just made sense. So this gave her an idea. What better way to show ponies the beauty of books? What better way to show ponies the loveliness of the library? What better way to show ponies the… ‘radicalness?’ of reading?

She was going to throw a party.


By the time she had gotten back to the library it was just past midnight. She crept quietly into the main area of the library, careful not to wake her very faithful assistant from his well earned rest. Step-by-step she made her way to the ‘P’ section, carefully watching the floor as she went. She had almost made it there when she had the fright of her night.

“Hoo?”

“Eeek!” She quickly slapped a hoof over her mouth and spun around. She spotted a familiar plume of brown feathers.

“Owlowiscious,” she whispered. “Don’t sneak up on ponies like that.”

“Hoo.”

The pony sighed, “I was at Pinkie’s for Air Appreciation Day what’s more I am a grown mare. I’m also pretty sure I’m older than you… by a large margin.”

“Hoo hoo.”

“Very funny. Anyway, could you help me find a few books?”

“Hoo?”

“All the books we have on parties.”

“Hoo.”

She watched as her obedient owl flew across the shelves, occasionally picking up a book with his claw and placing it in a stack in front of her. She giggled giddily as she watched the pile get taller. Those books were sure to help her throw the greatest party this town had ever seen!

Party 101

Life of the Party

Fillies Gone Wild

Party and Prejudice

Party Pooper: An Autobiography

A Party is Also Known As…

She grabbed the books in her magic. “Thanks, Owlowiscious.”

“Hoo?”

“Research, of course!”

She headed straight for the basement with her books following her in single file.

Author's Note:

Inspiration for this pretty much stemmed from a Spongebob binge. Bet you can't guess what episode gave me the idea.