• Published 28th Feb 2012
  • 15,417 Views, 1,388 Comments

One Soldier's Twilight - Dr.Shisno



One soldier's journey back home and discovery of a friend

  • ...
62
 1,388
 15,417

Epilogue: "We Have All the Time in the World..."

A few years later

It’s an easy commute, a train ride to Canterlot and then back to Ponyville. There have been worse times, but thankfully, things have settled down. The whole debacle with changing command after Lord Swift’s uncanny disappearance was quickly settled. From what I’ve heard from subordinates, things have run smoother under Shining’s direction.

I think the best way to describe it would be... fun. There were more logistics then there was actual fieldwork, but I didn’t mind that too much. Sure there was lots of ceremonies to attend because of Princess Celestia and her busy schedule, nonetheless it was still all fun.

There were even times off where I would go out with Painter, Player, even Shining for something to eat. Where we’d joke and laugh around a few drinks. Having some friends now, being more active, it’s helped a lot.

The train jolting to a halt stopped my train of thought. Throwing my saddlebag over my back, I walked off the train and into Ponyville. The sun was already down, due to a long night at Canterlot. I smiled, knowing I would catch a bit of flak from Twilight, seeing as this was the third night in a row.

It was a warm night, not completely uncomfortable in my uniform, but a few sweat beads managed to form. Walking through the streets, I watched stores closing up, ponies heading home. A few greeting were exchanged, which I answered appropriately. Faces I’ve come to know like Doctor Whooves and his marefriend, Derpy Doo, The Cake Family, and many more. Not to mention Twilight’s friends: Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, and Rarity.

The Library appears as I round the corner, home, I sighed in relief. Opening the door, I was greeted with normal smells of home: books, the oak of the tree, and… the lingering smell of coffee? That smell raised a red flag, which meant Twilight was waiting.

So, not to my surprise when I walked in further, there she was on the couch under a lamplight, reading glasses on, hair up, and a book under her eyes.

“Work long today?” She spoke with a small smile, not looking up from her book. “You do know it’s your night.”

I laughed nervously for a bit, “I know, why do you think I’m early?” Her gaze shifted from the book and onto me. Something told me she was hanging out more with Fluttershy as of late, because the look she gave me reached deep into my soul. “Got it, moving,” I quickly replied, moving up the stairs.

“Glad we agree,” she smirked, returning to her book into her focus.

Upon reaching the top of the stairs, I could hear the soft snores of Spike coming from his area on the second floor. Twilight and I decided that we would clear a space for the growing dragon. Giving him a space near one of the bigger windows of the library, so escaping his tasks sometimes became much easier. Though it is hard to miss a dragon falling from the second floor window.

But I didn’t stop by to see how Spike was doing; I kept walking towards Twilight and I’s space. Though nothing much has changed, I walked over to the only change this room has seen. Walking up to this change, my blissful feeling grew, along with the tender feeling in my chest. I stood over the change, a crib, and the small dark blue filly inside of it. I spent sometime looking over the filly, before noticing Twilight walk up behind me. There we both stood over the little filly, a little horn piercing its blonde mane with a light purple stripe flowing beside it.

“You know, she has your eyes,” Twilight softly spoke, in attempt not to wake our little filly.

“Well, she’s probably to grow up and be an egghead like her mother,” I nudged her lightly.

“I think she’ll probably have her father’s stubbornness,” she nudged back.

“It wouldn’t fail to surprise me,” I sighed, running a hoof through the younglings mare, causing it to yawn and roll over. “I still love her name we decided on.”

“Yes, it is quite fitting, for us, and for her,” she pondered for a few seconds. ”Though, Starlight Fantasy may be a tad long.”

“And she’ll learn to write it and love her name, because it’s one of those beautiful things in life. Just like her,” I turned my head and gave Twilight, my wife, a kiss on the cheek. “And just like her mother, Love you.”

She nuzzled me for a second, “And I love you too.”

I know I’m just starting to earn it, at least in your eyes, Paul, but I think I’m on the right path.