• Published 16th Sep 2013
  • 8,621 Views, 175 Comments

My Little Pony, Friendship is Out of This World - Robobrony



Two ponies from space come to Equestria to make a home for themselves.

  • ...
11
 175
 8,621

PreviousChapters Next
How I Got My Cutie Mark

How I Got My Cutie Mark

Nova was out enjoying the day while Starburst had gone off to go crusading with his friends. He had come to a wooded area near town and strolled through with a big smile on his face. “Sweet celestial bodies, I actually have a marefriend, this is great. Only problem now is will she accept me for what I am once tell her………what am I thinking, of course she will, the others will too….but……there is still that doubt. What am I….”

He was brought out of his thoughts by a screaming overhead. “AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!”

He quickly looked up and saw his little brother and his friends falling out of the sky. He quickly zapped in his wings and flew up to catch them. Sweetie Belle and Starburst landed on his back while he caught Scootaloo and Apple Bloom with his hooves. Once he had the four safely on the ground, he saw they were wearing helmets and harnesses. “What in the name of the cosmos were you four doing up there?!” He scolded.

The four hung their heads as Starburst answered. “We were just trying to earn our cutie marks in zip lining.”

Nova closed his eyes and hung his head with a sigh. “*Sigh* You four need to be more careful, you could have gotten seriously hurt up there.”

“It was all my idea Nova, sorry.” Scootallo admitted.

“Just try to be more careful ok, but to make sure you are, it seems I may need to keep an eye on you for the day.”

“All right.” Apple Bloom responded. And just like that, their enthusiasm returned. “So what should we try next to earn our cutie marks.”

Sweetie Belle made a suggestion. “Plan B?”

Scootaloo thought for a moment. “Yeah, know where we can find a cannon at this hour?”

“Cannon, that wasn’t plan B?” Starburst threw in.

“Cannon, and just what did you have planned with a cannon?” Nova asked with a disapproving glare.

Scootaloo gave a sheepish laugh and a nervous smile. “Uh, heh heh, nothing, never mind.” She then hung her head in disappointment. “It’s no use, no matter what we try we always end up with no cutie marks.”

“Maybe we should do something less dangerous like pillow testing, or flower sniffing.” Sweetie offered.

“I like the sound of that, that sounds nice and safe.” Starburst added in.

Apple Bloom then started up. “This town is full of ponies who have their cutie marks, maybe we could ask one of them how they got theirs.”

“That could work too.” Starburst responded.

“That’s a great safe idea.” Sweetie Belle agreed.

“Yeah, and we can start with the coolest pony in Ponyville.” Scootaloo added.

The other three then put up their siblings for an option. “Applejack.”

“Rarity.”

“Nova.”

Nova couldn’t help but feel a little pride that his little brother thought so highly of him. “That’s nice of you to say Starburst, but I don’t think I’m who she was talking about.”

Scootaloo confirmed. “Sorry Nova, no offense, you’re all right, but I said cool.”

“It’s fine Scootaloo.”

Scootaloo started buzzing her wings and hovered around as she started to try and describe who she was talking about. “She’s fast, she’s tough.” She stopped after having circled around them. “She’s not afraid of anything.”

“Pinkie Pie?” Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom guessed.

“What about Twilight, I don’t think she’s afraid of anything.” Starburst threw in.

Scootaloo continued in vain. “No, the greatest flyer to ever come out of Cloudsdale.”

“Fluttershy?” The three guessed in unison again.

Scootaloo finally gave up and just straight out told them. “No, Rainbow Dash!”

“Oh yeah, that makes much more sense.” Apple Bloom said as realization finally dawned on her.

“Of course.” Sweetie Belle added in.

“Guess I should have figured that out with the Cloudsdale part.” Starburst said.

“Let’s do it, let’s go find out how Rainbow Dash earned her cutie mark!” Scootaloo cheered.

“YEAH!” All four cheered as they clapped their hooves together. They went for their mode of transportation. Scootaloo’s scooter hooked up to a wagon. The four put on their helmets, Scootaloo got on her scooter while the other three climbed into the wagon.

“Hold up you four, I’m coming with you to make sure you don’t get into any more trouble.” Nova called after them.
Scootaloo started buzzing her wings and took off while Nova decided it would be easier to follow them with his flying, so he zapped up his wings and flew along the ground right behind the four little ponies.

Along the way, three little bunnies holding apples suddenly hopped onto the road in Scootaloo’s path. She quickly hit reverse on her wings and managed to stop in time. Nova came up next to them as he came to a stop.

“Get back here you thieven varmints!” The recognizable southern voice of Applejack was heard calling after the bunnies. The bunnies hopped away from the voice.

“Theivin what now?” Apple Bloom asked.

“Whats a varmint?” Starburst asked.

Applejack pounced out of the bushes on a collision course with the four little ponies. Nova was quick to act as he used his levitation to stop Applejack in mid-air. “Whoa!” She called out. “Nova, what in tarnation?”

“Whoa there Applejack, easy, it’s just me.” Nova said to her as he gently set her back on the ground.

“What was all that about?” She asked with a raised eyebrow.

“You were about to crash into the kids here.” Nova pointed to the four little ponies between him and Applejack.

“Oops, sorry there kids. Good reflexes there Nova.”

“Thank you.”

“Hey sis, how did you earn your cutie mark?” Apple Bloom suddenly asked.

“I never told you that story?” Applejack asked back.

Scootaloo cut in. “Hey, I thought we were going to ask Rainbow Dash?”

“We need all the help we can get.” Apple Bloom shot back. The four little ponies got out of the cart and gathered around Applejack.

“I’d like to hear this, I’m curious now.” Starburst said as he looked to Applejack. Nova just took a seat behind the four.

“Uh, fine.” Scootaloo responded in defeat.

Applejack began her tale. “Well shoot, I was just a little filly, even littler than ya’ll. I didn’t want to spend my life in a muddy old farm, I wanted to live the sophisticated life like my aunt and uncle orange. So I set out to try my luck in the big city, Mane Hatten, the most cosmopolitan city in all of Equestria. I knew I would find out who I was meant to be in Mane Hatten. My Aunt and Uncle Orange said they’d take me in and let me stay with them. Once I got there, they took notice of how I talked and they didn’t seem to like it, but I just wanted to fit in and make it big here, so I let them teach me how they spoke and prettied me up a bit.”

“During a party my aunt and uncle were hosting, I felt I might have embarrassed myself when I mentioned that we had roosters wake you up in the morning. Thankfully, that moment was interrupted when dinner came around. But I was real disappointed when I saw the portion size, it was practically just a speck on the plate. I went to bed that night hungry. I woke up before the sun rose and looked out my window to watch the sunrise. When it came, I just started thinking about home back on the farm. I never felt so homesick in all my days as I did right then. But suddenly, out of nowhere, there was this loud boom that got my attention. I looked out and it was amazing, a rainbow pointing me straight to home.”

“In that moment, it all became clear. I knew right then just who I was supposed to be. So I high tailed it back home, and that’s when this here appeared.” Applejack indicated her cutie mark of three apples. “I’ve been happily working the farm ever since.”

Hearing Applejack’s tale of home brought up a few memories of his old home. “Home, I do miss it sometimes, and mom and dad. I really wish they were here with us.”

His thoughts were interrupted by three bunnies giving Applejack a raspberry. Applejack glared over at them. “There they are, get back here ya theivin varmints!” And just like that, she took off after them.

“Awe, that was such a sweet story.” Sweetie Belle commented.

“I liked it.” Starburst pointed out.

“Sweet, try sappy, come on, we gotta find Rainbow Dash and hear the cool way to earn a cutie mark.” The little ponies gathered up at the cart and sped off.

“Hey, wait up!” Nova called as he flew after them.

A little while later, as they sped on, Fluttershy suddenly appeared in front of them. Scootaloo tried to stop but hit a rock and sent the four flying into the air. “Aaaaahhh!” They all screeched.

Nova was able to catch them with his magic and set them down gently on the ground.

“All right little ones, this way, this way.” Fluttershy directed a few little baby ducks across the road. Once the ducks were gone, Fluttershy turned her attention to the four little ponies with a smile. “You should really be more careful, some pony could get hurt. It’s a good thing Nova was here to catch you.”

Starburst turned to Nova. “Thanks for the save big brother.”

“You’re welcome.” Nova then turned his attention to Fluttershy. “Hello Fluttershy, how are you this day?”

“I’m doing fine thank you, what are you up to?”

“Keeping an eye on these four to make sure they don’t get into trouble today. They want to find out how Rainbow Dash earned her cutie mark.”

“Oh, that would be interesting, I wouldn’t have gotten my cutie mark if it wasn’t for her.”

“Really?” The four little ponies asked.

Fluttershy began her tale of how she got her cutie mark. “It all started at summer flight camp. You’d never guess, but when I was little, I was very shy, and a very weak flyer. After a little tumble I took, two little colts started laughing at me and making fun of me calling me clutchershy. They just laughed and laughed at me, it was the most humiliating moment of my life. But then, out of nowhere, Rainbow Dash came in and stood up to them for me. She ended up challenging them to a race.”

“I was made the flag waver to start the race. Once I waved the flag, they flew off, but it was so fast, it caused me to spin around and fall off the cloud. I fell and fell towards the ground. Luckily, a flock of butterflies were flying by and they caught me. I had never seen such beautiful creatures. Butterflies don’t fly as high as my cloud home, and I had never been near the ground before. I was so entranced, I just had to let out a song.” And sing she did.

What is this place filled with so many wonders,

Casting it’s spell, that I am now under,

Squirells in the trees and the cute little bunnies.

Birds flying free and bees with their honey,

Hooooneeeeeeeeey!

Ooooh, what a magical place,

And I owe it all to the Pegasus race,

If I knew the ground had so much up its sleeve,

I’d have come here sooner and never leave.

Yes, I. Love. Ev~ery~thing~

“After I finished my song, there was a huge explosion and a ring of a flaming rainbow spread out across the sky frightening every animal. They all ran off and hid wherever they could. Afterwards, I went around to try and comfort the poor dears and talked them into coming back out. Somehow, I had the ability to communicate with them on a different level. And that’s when my cutie mark appeared.”

Nova had cocked an eyebrow. “A flaming ring of a rainbow, why does that sound familiar?”

Scootaloo interrupted his thoughts. “Wait, wait, wait, what happened to Rainbow Dash? What about the race?”

“Oh, well I wasn’t there, so I don’t know what happened.”

“Come on crusaders, we gotta find her! Besides, I can’t take anymore singing.” Scootaloo declared. The others hopped into the wagon.

“Maybe my sister knows where she is.” Sweetie Belle offered.

“Thanks for sharing your story with us Fluttershy, I liked it.” Starburst commented.

Fluttershy gave a smile. “You’re welcome.”

Nova wanted to ask Fluttershy more about this explosion of colors she saw. “Fluttershy, could you tell me more about this rainbow you saw?”

Fluttershy gave him a curious look. “There isn’t really much to tell, I just heard this loud explosion and saw a ring of a rainbow that looked like fire spread out across the sky. I don’t know what caused it or where it came from. I’m sorry, but why do you ask?”

“It just sounds familiar somehow, but I can’t quite place my hoof on it.”

“I’m sorry, I wish I could be more help.” Fluttershy was looking melancholy.

Nova gave a reassuring smile. “It’s fine Fluttershy, but I better catch up to the kids, I’ll see you later ok?” Nova then took off after the four crusaders.

He eventually came to Rarity’s boutique and found the four upstairs with pieces of cloth on them while Rarity took measurements. “How did we get roped into this?” Scootaloo asked.

“Why am I even taking part in this, I’m a boy, not a girl.” Starburst complained.

“We’ll never hear Rainbow Dash’s story.” Scootaloo whined.

Rarity came up to the four with a smile. “Are you four still obessing over your cutie marks?”

“Of course!” Sweetie Belle answered. “Most of the fillies at school have theirs.”

“I know how you feel, for the longest time, I couldn’t figure out why I didn’t have mine.” Rarity then started on her cutie mark story. “My school was putting on a play about food and I was in charge of making costumes. I worked really hard on them but they just never seemed quite right to me. I tried every trick I could think of, but nothing seemed to work, the costumes just weren’t right, and the play opened that night.”

“I was about to give up, when all of a sudden, my horn lit up and started dragging me away. I had no idea where it was taking me, but unicorn magic doesn’t happen without a reason. I knew this had to do with my love of fashion, and maybe even my cutie mark. I knew that this was…..my DESTINY! My horn had led me to a giant rock. I was very upset, for my horn had dragged me away to nothing but a giant rock in the middle of nowhere. But then, out of nowhere, there was this loud boom and a ring of a flaming rainbow spread out over the sky. This caused the rock to split open, revealing it to be a geode full of gems.”

“I gathered up what gems I could and went back to the school to begin work, incorporating the gems into the costumes. They looked fabulous and every pony who saw them thought so too. And that’s how I earned my cutie mark.”

“She saw that rainbow too, incredible. Then again, something like that is hard to miss, but also, it seems it was because of this same rainbow and explosion that she, Fluttershy, and Applejack earned their cutie marks. But why does it sound so familiar?” Nova thought to himself.

“Aaahhh, these namby pamby stories aren’t getting us any closer to our cutie marks! They’re about finding out who you are and boring stuff like that!” Scootaloo proclaimed.

“Why yes Scootaloo, that’s exactly….”

Rarity tried to say before Scootaloo cut her off by pushing her friends out the door. “Come on guys, we need action, we need Rainbow Dash.”

Nova apologized to Rarity. “Sorry about them Rarity, but you know kids, I’ll see you later ok?”

“All right dear, if you like, we are all meeting up at Sugar cube corner later, you can join us later on if you like.” Rarity offered with a smile.

“If I’m not still watching those four later on, sure. I hope to see you later.” Nova then headed off to try and catch up to the girls.

He soon found them sitting at a table with Twilight who was about to tell her story of how she earned her cutie mark. She greeted him with a smile. “Hello Nova, your just in time to hear me tell the kids how I earned my cutie mark.”

“Great, I’d love to hear it.” Nova responded with a smile as he took a seat next to her.

Twilight began her tale. “As a young filly in Canterlot, I always wanted to go to the summer sun celebration where princess Celestia raises the sun. And I saw the most amazing and wonderful thing I’ve ever seen. I was in the crowd when Celestia came forth. She lit up her horn and slowly flew upwards, bringing the sun with her. It was an incredible sight. I poured myself into learning everything I could about magic. I read through so many books about magic, I just couldn’t stop. Because of my dedication, my parents decided to enroll me into Celestia’s school for gifted unicorns. It was a dream come true, except for one thing. I had to pass an entrance exam!”

“I had to use my magic to hatch a dragon egg. I knew that it was the most important day of my life, that my entire future would depend on the outcome of this day, and I was about to blow it. I tried and tried, but nothing worked. Just when I had given up and it seemed I was about to fail, I heard this loud boom out of nowhere. The explosion startled me so much, my magic activated on its own. I shot a spell at the egg and managed to hatch it, but after that, it went completely out of control. My eyes turned pure white. I ended up making the dragon huge, lifted up the ponies giving the test, and turned my parents into plants.”

“I was so scared I didn’t know what to do. But then, I felt a hoof on my shoulder, I looked to my side and saw princess Celestia there. It was enough to calm me down and stop my magic. The dragon shrank back down to a baby, the ponies dropped to the floor, and my parents turned back to normal. Celestia started going on about how she had never met a unicorn with such raw ability. What followed next really surprised me, she offered to tutor me personally at her school. I was so thrilled I couldn’t believe it. And then, she pointed out that I had earned my cutie mark as well.”

Twilight had gotten so excited reliving her moment of getting a cutie mark, she started jumping around. “Yes yesyesyesyesyesyes.”

Nova interjected. “Twilight calm down, your attracting attention!” Twilight stopped hopping and looked around to see that many ponies were indeed staring at her.

She grew a sheepish smile. “Oops.”

Nova then got her attention. “Twilight, I need to ask you something, did you by chance see a flaming rainbow ring at the time?”

Twilight gave him a quizzical look as she thought about it. “Well, now that I think about it, I think I saw something like that out of the corner of my eye at the time. Why do you ask?”

“I’ll have to explain later.” Nova had noticed that during Twilight’s celebrating, the kids slipped away. “I need to find the kids and make sure they stay out of trouble. I’ll see you later.” Nova gave her a peck on the cheek and took off flying.

He managed to catch up to them and was now flying next to them low to the ground. “I wish you four would stop taking off without me like this.”

“Sorry Nova, but we just really want to find Rainbow Dash.” Scootaloo pointed out.

“Your looking for Rainbow Dash?” Pinkie asked from the wagon.

All eyes looked at her in confusion. “Pinkie Pie, how did you get in the wagon?” Starburst asked.

“That’s what I’d like to know.” Nova added.

Pinkie ignored the question. “If I was her, I’d be at Sugarcube Corner. Of course if I was anyone, I’d be at sugar cube corner. Hey, I have an idea, you wanna go to Sugarcube Corner?” Pinkie said as she flailed her forelegs in excitement. It caused her to almost fall out but the three little ponies in the wagon held on to her and kept her in.

“Well, we’re sort of looking for Rainbow Dash so we can hear how she got her cutie mark.” Sweetie Belle pointed out.

Pinkie grew a big smile. “Cutie mark, come with me and I’ll tell you how I got mine!”

Scootaloo just grunted in annoyance. “Ugh, why not.”

“All right!” Pinkie then started on her story. “My sisters and I were raised on a rock farm outside of Ponyville. We spent our days working the fields. There was no talking, there was no smiling, there were only rocks. My dad called for us to come into the house, but I stayed outside. We were in the south field preparing to rotate the rocks to the east field, when all of a sudden, there was this huge BOOM and a flaming rainbow ring spread out across the sky. It kicked up so much wind, it made my mane and tail all poofy, it was followed by a bright beautiful vibrant rainbow. I had never felt joy like that before. It felt so good, I just wanted to keep smiling forever. And I wanted everyone I knew to smile too, but Rainbows don’t come around that often.”

“I wondered, how else could I create some smiles? It was then I had an idea. I got to work straight away decorating the silo with all kinds of streamers and ballons and confetti. I worked all night. By morning, it was all ready. I called for my parents and sisters to come in and see it. Once they entered, I yelled out SURPRISE and told them it was called a party. I asked if they liked it, but they didn’t seem to at first. They looked around as their lips quivered. I figured they didn’t like it until they burst into big bright smiles. After that, we all danced and had a wonderful time. And that’s how Equestria was made.”

“What?” Nova asked as he looked at Pinkie.

“Wait, huh?” Scootaloo also asked as she came to a stop in front of Sugarcube Corner.

“Look we’re here!” Apple Bloom pointed out to the bakery.

“Maybe on the way home, I can tell you how I got my cutie mark, it’s a gem.” Pinkie said as she walked in.

“But didn’t she just tell us that?” Starburst questioned.

“Oh come on, she’s just being Pinkie Pie.” Sweetie Belle pointed out.

Nova started thinking to himself. “Ok, I am definitely seeing a pattern here. So far, each of the girls have heard this loud boom and seen this flaming rainbow ring spread out over the sky, and it was thanks to that that they each got their cutie marks. But why does it sound so familiar to me, have I seen it before…..no…..no I couldn’t have, This had to have happened when I was on my home planet. There’s no way I could have seen it…..could I?”

Nova stopped his thinking and followed the four little ones into the bakery.

“Rainbow Dash, you’re here!” Scootaloo cried out.

Nova looked and saw all the girls were together. Rainbow stepped forward up to the four little ponies. “I hear your looking for my cutie mark story.”

“You have no idea what I’ve been through today to hear that story.” Scootaloo sat down and readied herself to hear the story.

Nova took a seat behind the four. “Ok, if she had seen this rainbow thing too…..I don’t know, it will be one cosmic coincidence if it helped her earn her cutie mark as well.”

Rainbow began her tale. “It all happened during the race at flight camp where I stood alone against all odds to defend Fluttershy’s honor. It was me against two other young colts who were picking on Fluttershy before. Fluttershy raised the flag to signal the race was about to begin. My heart raced with anticipation. We readied our wings for takeoff. Fluttershy waved the flag and we were off. I was in the lead as I flew through the first cloud ring. I made a sharp turn and made it through the next. One of the boys I was racing didn’t make the turn and ran into a cloud pillar. It was just me and the other colt now.”

“I had never flown like that before, the freedom was unlike anything I had ever felt before. The speed, the adrenaline, the wind in my mane! I liked it….aLOT. But then, the colt pulled a dirty trick and rammed into me, forcing me to the side. I quickly recovered and dove down to get ahead as fast as I could. Turns out the only thing I liked more than flying fast was winning. As I dove for the cloud ring, A cone of air started forming around me. Just when I reached it, I pulled up and BOOM, a sonic rainboom occurred.”

“Most people thought the sonic rainboom was just an old mares tale. But that day, the day I discovered racing, I proved that the legends were true. I made the impossible happen. And that, little ones, is how you earn a cutie mark.”

As all the girls started connecting the dots that Rainbow Dash was the one responsible for making that sonic rainboom that helped them earn their cutie marks, Nova went into thought. “So she didn’t see the rainbow, she caused it. But why does it sound so familiar, where have I seen it before. Come on, think……wait…..cloudsale during that competiion? YES…..wait…..no….I did see it then….but….I can’t help but think……did I see it before….I…..no….no it can’t be…can it.”

“We’ve been BFF’s forever and we didn’t even know it.” Rarity said.

“Come here ya’ll.” Applejack said as she initiated a group hug.

“Hold on, what about Nova?” Fluttershy asked.

“Hey yeah, we didn’t hear how he got his cutie mark.” Pinkie stated.

They all turned to him to see him pacing back and forth looking deep in thought. “Nova?” Twilight tried to get his attention.

He just kept pacing. “Nova dear, are you all right?” Rarity asked.

“THAT’S IT!” Nova finally shouted out, startling the girls. “But that’s impossible, how could it be?!”

“Nova, is something wrong?” Applejack asked.

“Does it have something to do with how you got your cutie mark?” Pinkie asked.

Nova finally looked at them with wide eyes. “I….I……that is…..”

“Nova, what is it, why do you seem so agitated?” Twilight asked as she approached.

“I…..I have to go.” Nova then took off out the door without another word.

“Nova wait!” Twilight called out, but Nova just kept going.

“Big brother, wait up.” Starburst followed.

“This is impossible, this is just impossible. How could this even be?!” Nova continued to think all the way home.

He finally reached home and went inside, he was so deep in thought, he didn’t bother to take off his necklace. “How…..HOW? The odds are just astronomical! HOW?”

Starburst came in soon. “Nova, what’s wrong, why are you so upset?” Starburst asked as he eyed his brother with worry.

Nova looked at his little brother. “Starburst, how I earned my cutie mark…..how they earned theirs….the fact we are here….it doesn’t make any sense, how is it possible?”

“Nova, what are you talking about? Are you saying that….” Before Starburst could finish his question, there was a knock at the door.

Nova went to the door and answered. He was a little surprised to see the rest of the cmc and his six friends all standing there looking at him with worry. “Nova, what’s wrong, talk to us.” Twilight pleaded.

“Nova, please tell us what is bothering you. Does it have to do with how you earned your cutie mark?” Fluttershy asked.

“By the cosmos, what do I say, I can’t tell them the full story. But I don’t want them to worry. I guess I can tell them a little bit.” Nova took a deep breath to calm himself down and relax. “I’m sorry to worry you all, its just….this cutie mark business got me riled up.”

“Why? Why did you seem to freak out over it?” Rainbow asked.

“I can’t give you all the details, but I will tell you what I can.” He took a moment before continuing. “I did see the sonic rainboom, and it did help me earn my cutie mark.”

The girls smiled at this. “You did, that’s wonderful, then we all DO have a special connection!” Pinkie cheered.

“But then, why were you so upset about it before?” Rarity inquired.

“As I said, I can’t give you all the details, but I’ll tell you what I can. At the time, if I hadn’t been doing what I was, then I never would have seen it. This happened shortly before my little brother was born. When I saw it, I was the only one in my family to have seen it. I was so amazed by what I saw, I wanted to share it with my parents. I wasn’t sure how I could, until I got an idea, some way to capture the image I saw forever so every pony could see it and I could share it with my family. I poured myself into learning what I could about enchantments and gems.”

“I learned that gemstones can hold enchantments well , so I worked hard on that area and worked with whatever gemstones I could. Eventually, I managed to recreate what I saw in a crystal. I had managed to make a vibrant flaming rainbow ring in a crystal. My parents were so impressed with it. That was how I earned my mark.”

“Wow, that’s a great story.” Pinkie said.

“In fact.” Nova put a hoof to his chin. “Oh, hold on, I have something I want to show you.” Nova quickly retreated back into his house and went to his room. “Where is it, come on. Aha, here it is.” Nova pulled out a steel box with a pad on it. “Rainbow fire.” Nova said to the pad. The box beeped and opened up. Nova took out its contents, a single gem. He smiled as he looked at it.

He came back to the girls all waiting expectantly for his return. “Girls, this is the first gem I ever made.” Nova held up a roughly cut crystal with a flaming rainbow ring at its center in a slant.

They all ooed at the sight. “Wow Nova, this is incredible, it looks amazing.” Twilight stated.

“My word, I’ve never seen anything like it, this is absolutely gorgeous. Nova, why have you not made anything like this before?” Rarity asked.

“I had completely forgotten about it until now, this gem is the one that earned me my mark. And it was without a doubt the most difficult to make. I just wanted to share the sight with my family so much. Though the size doesn’t do it justice.”

“It looks wonderful Nova.” Fluttershy offered.

“Thank you. This gem means so much to me.”

“I don’t suppose you could make others like it could you?” Rarity asked again.

“Well, I guess I could. Since I’ve gotten better at making gems, I could probably make a better looking one, but it won’t be easy, the enchantments I used to make this was difficult enough.”

“Splendid, I just know it will be the most popular selection.”

Later that evening, after Nova and Starburst were finally alone as they sat in their living room to just hang out, Starburst took the opportunity to ask his big brother something. “Nova, I’m curious, how did you see that sonic rainboom if it happened on this planet so many years ago?”

“You see Starburst, as I said, it happened shortly before you were born. Mom and dad worked for a company that was in charge of space exploration. While we did have ships that could travel through space, we wanted to find life on other planets. Dad was much smarter than I am. He was working in the planetary observation branch. He managed to develop a telescope that combined science and magic.”

“It was amazing, the telescope could let one see a planet no matter how far away it was. I was with him at the time when he put the finishing touches on the telescope. He let me take the first look through it. He lifted me up so my eyes could look through it. As I did, I saw a green planet, with water and clouds. I could see the surface of the world I was looking at. As I looked through, I saw this colorful fiery ring appear and spread out over the surface of the planet.”

“I was so impressed with what I saw, I quickly pulled back and told dad to look into the telescope to see it. However, by the time he did, the circle was gone. I felt sorry dad didn’t get to see such an amazing sight that I decided to do what I could to replicate that amazing sight. That was how I got into making gemstones like I do now.”

“Gosh, but wait……are you saying that this is the planet you saw that day?” Starburst looked at Nova with a mix of confusion and surprise.

“It is. Don’t you see, the odds of me seeing that sonic rainboom at the time and us ending up on this planet where I saw the sonic rainboom originate from…..the odds of such a thing are just infinitecimal. It’s like we were meant to be here. But for what? Why? When I made this realization, I just couldn’t believe it. Which is why I freaked out before at Sugarcube corner.”

“Wow, that is amazing, I can’t believe it myself. Maybe we we’re meant to be here.”

“This is going to be bugging me for a long time little brother. I just can’t believe the odds. The six girls we call friends and me all saw that same sonic rainboom and it was responsible for all of us getting our cutie marks. Well five since Rainbow Dash was the one who made it.”

“But don’t you see, this is further proof that it will be all right for you to tell them that we’re aliens. Since Applejack already knows, you should tell her and see what she thinks.”

“I don’t know Starburst, if I tell, I want all of them to know, not just one. When I finally reveal to our friends that we’re aliens, I’ll tell them everything. For now, I’m just not ready, but this is a big step towards me feeling more confident about letting our secret out.” Nova gave a smile to Starburst. The two headed to their room and went to bed.

PreviousChapters Next