• Published 17th Sep 2013
  • 3,856 Views, 77 Comments

City of Shadows - GuyGalProductions



Reclusive ex-model Fluttershy has been made the victim of an unimaginably sadistic stalker, and only one woman can save her: Rainbow Dash, Private Eye

  • ...
6
 77
 3,856

Epilogue

How long had it been since the Sombra case had been finally closed? No one really knew, just that it was now a few weeks since it all came together. Press conferences were held, the media was all over it, parties and riots broke out across the nation, it was one of the biggest pieces of news in months. Many of the families of victims were immensely relieved, the thugs on Sombra’s side were thrown into jail, and many drugs and weapons were all brought into custody.

Things were winding down by now, which was a relief. Especially for Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy, now full time partners running the agency together. They too had their share of media coverage and being mobbed in the streets by reporters. Fluttershy of course felt as if she’d been thrown back into the modeling world and avoided going out without a disguise. But this time, she had the best kind of bodyguard anyone could ever ask for. While not hostile, Rainbow made it clear that no one got close to Fluttershy like that.

The two now lived together in Rainbow’s basement apartment, considering the idea of finding a new place, now that they had quite a share of funds. Fluttershy had sold her apartment soon after it was declared safe again. It had been quite an ideal time, since a lot wanted the apartment of a recent surviving victim of the biggest case to hit the newsstands. Needless to say, Fluttershy made more off the condo than she’d purchased it for. Most of their earnings had gone to keeping the agency afloat, buying new things to spruce it up and update, but still keeping to the charm Firefly once had.

Now living comfortably for the time being, the two newly formed partners in detective work and love were as happy as they ever could have been.

On one particular evening, Fluttershy was roused from her slumber, fueled by the need to use the bathroom. Groggily, she did so, getting up and going to the bathroom. Having been living here for a few weeks, she knew the place inside and out, even in the dark. After finishing up, she came back to bed, climbing under the covers. She glanced over at her lover, surprised to find her laying in bed, staring up at the ceiling, wide awake.

“...Rainbow? Are you awake?” She asked softly.

“...Yeah...” Rainbow answered after a beat. “Yeah I’m up…”

Noticing her downtrodden tone, Fluttershy came closer and brought her arms around her, kissing her cheek, “Is something wrong?”

“I don’t know…” Rainbow said, her voice sounding distant as she leaned against Fluttershy. “...It wasn’t wrong. That much I know.”

“What wasn’t-oh,” Fluttershy caught on to her meaning. She turned on the light on her side of the bed, then cuddled the other woman closer, kissing her forehead, “You can talk about it, Rainbow. You haven’t said anything about it since it happened.”

“He didn’t deserve to live… I would have attended his execution with a smile…” Rainbow said, her eyes staring into the shadows beyond glow of the lamp’s light. “...I’ve never killed anyone before though. I’ve put bullets in people, hurt a few pretty bad, but never killed anyone, and never in cold blood… but I couldn’t let him still be out there...I couldn’t let him haunt you… haunt us.”

“He was the one trying to kill you. He had a knife… He would’ve killed you if you didn’t. Then later he would’ve killed me after I suffered. That was his plan, to make me suffer,” Fluttershy murmured, “It was in self-defense. I-I know it’s a little hard to take in, but you did do the right thing.”

“I know I don’t feel bad about him being dead,” Rainbow observed, her lips pursed in thought. “...I just don’t like that I pulled the trigger-no wait, that’s wrong. I think I don’t like how much I liked pulling the trigger. I didn’t think twice. I knew what I had to do, and it felt good. I was protecting you. I was ending your nightmare... I just don’t want to become your new nightmare, ya know?”

Reaching up to stroke her hair, Fluttershy continued to gently plant kisses along her face, “Shhh… It’s okay. You’re not a killer and you won’t grow to be one. You liked it because it was ending a nightmare. You’ll never be my new nightmare. Ever. I love you.”

Rainbow heaved a sigh, unable to fight the positive feelings instilled in her by Fluttershy’s tender affections. “I love you too Fluttershy. More than that, I need you. Just promise to make sure I never cross that line okay? I know the law can be screwed up, and sometimes doing the right thing means acting outside it… just, please... make sure I don’t become one of the monsters.”

“I promise,” Fluttershy cooed, gently rolling on top of her, cradling her lover’s face, “I’ll always make sure to help you however I can. I’m your partner now, I’m going to be right there with you through every case. I love you so much, I’ll make sure nothing ever happens to you. That line will never be crossed because we’re together. I’ll never leave you, my love… never.”

“And I’ll never leave you, Flutters,” Rainbow said, leaning up and bringing her lips to Fluttershy’s as well as wrapping her arms about the pinkette’s waist. “You’re the most amazing woman I’ve ever laid eyes on. You saved me too. Thank you… not just for that, but for believing in the good in me.”

Smiling all the more, Fluttershy lay their foreheads together, “You’re very welcome. I’ll always believe in you. You’re a strong, confident, noble, amazing woman. Nothing can ever take that from you.”

Rainbow smiled as she imparted another tender kiss on her lover’s lips. “Thank you, Flutters… I know that as long as you believe that about me I’ll try my best to live up to it.”

“As long as you believe in me, too. I never knew I could be brave,” Fluttershy kissed her lips as well, savouring the touch.

“I alway knew you could. Ever since that since I laid eyes on you, I knew you could be. Just coming to me was so brave. That’s what broke the cycle. That’s what brought down that bastard,” Rainbow said, running her hand through Fluttershy’s long pink hair.

Beaming, Fluttershy nodded and nuzzled noses with her, “You’re right. Things truly changed when I came to you, didn’t it? I never even thought I’d ever do something like that. But as you know, it was my only option at that point. I was at the end of my rope and truly had to find someone who could help me.”

“And by not giving up, by being brave, you changed everything,” Rainbow replied, continuing to stroke Fluttershy’s hair lovingly, “Not just for the case, but for us… because you were brave, you’ve made me the happiest woman on the planet.”

“That’s amazing… I’m so glad,” Fluttershy stroked her hair as well, “By being brave, I’m happier than I’ve ever been in my whole life. They say life rewards action… I couldn’t agree with it more. I especially am not regretting being a model, or having this case start. It’s almost as if… all of that happened… so it could bring me to you.”

“A serial kidnapper, murder, and all around evil bastard is what helped the pair of us find true love?” Rainbow said with a little laugh. “That sounds appropriately messed up to be fate.”

“Maybe,” Fluttershy grinned, “But I would do it all over again.”

“Me too… In fact I can think of plenty of things I’d do over again with you,” Rainbow said, smiling and giving Fluttershy a little wink. “Again and again~”

Giggling with glee, Fluttershy nuzzled her, “Oh? Like what?”

Rainbow snuggled up closer, her hands gently exploring her girlfriend’s naked body, “Anything you’d like, Flutters.”

Smiling growing, Fluttershy cooed softly at her lover’s touch, “I want to explore every bit of you and make sweet love to you~”

“Sounds like a good deal to me,” Rainbow leaned in and gave her soft passionate kiss. “What do you say we don’t go into the office tomorrow? Just spend another wonderful day together~”

“Oh, yes, you naughty woman~” Fluttershy cooed as they slowly proceeded to take each other away again.


The Rock farm was about as quiet as it tended to be on a Tuesday night, that was until a single voice rent open the calm atmosphere.

“APPLEJACK!” Rarity scolded, marching from her table to her girlfriend’s position at the door, her sapphire eyes ablaze as she stared up into AJ’s face. “Pinkie has given you all the time off you need, why on earth are you still here!? If you injure that shoulder I’ll… I’ll… Well I’ll do something, and you won’t like it missy!”

“Relax, Rare, Ah’m fine,” Applejack assured her, “Ah took enough time off.”

“You. Got. Shot!” Rarity said sternly. “Bad enough you go off you go swashbuckling about like some common ruffian, but you got hurt doing it!”

“Ah did, but Ah’ve recovered. The wound wasn’t all bad, anyway,” Applejack said, patting her hair, “Don’t ya worry none. Ah’m perfectly awright.”

“Perfectly alright!? You… I…” Rarity’s voice faltered for a moment, her eyes beginning to water. “Alright Applejackie, darling… just please… promise me I’ll never have to get another call like that from the hospital, or next time I won’t forgive you...”

Softening, Applejack brought an arm around her and kissed her head sweetly, “Ah know, Ah didn’t mean ta worry ya. Ah wouldn’t have done what Ah did if Ah knew Ah wouldn’t make it. But worryin’ you was not mah intention an’ Ah’m sorry. Ah promise you.”

“I know, dear… and I know you needed to lend a hand… I just wish I could have been there for you…” Rarity conceded with a pout, leaning into Applejack.

“Ah know,” Applejack kissed her forehead, “But ya were. When Ah saw you come inta mah room at the hospital, Ah felt… better than Ah ever thought Ah would.”

“Hmmph,” Rarity tutted, though now smiling, her voice soft yet playful. “Leave it to you to undervalue my presence, darling.”

“Wouldn’t dream of it, sugarcube,” Applejack held her closer, looking up toward the door, “An’ would you look at that! It’s the gals of the hour!”

“Would you look at that,” Rainbow Dash remarked as she pushed her way through the door, her usual cocky grin on her lips as she engaged in her usual banter with the bouncer. “You get yourself shot, and you’re still here to card my girlfriend.”

Applejack laughed heartily, casting a playful smirk toward Fluttershy, “You got yer ID, Miss?”

With a grin, Fluttershy nodded and produced her new rookie detective partner identification card, “I certainly do.”

“Oh that’s simply lovely!” Rarity said, fawning over the ID badge. “So then it’s official? Partners in business as well as love?”

“You know it,” Rainbow said proudly, gently clapping a hand on Fluttershy’s shoulder. “All the paper work is in and everything, though it’s not like we, or anyone else, were waiting around for paperwork. We’ve already got a few smaller cases under our belt.”

“Amazin’,” Applejack grinned, “How are ya likin’ yer new job?”

Grinning widely, Fluttershy brought her arms around Rainbow’s waist and nuzzled her, “Oh, I love it! I never in my life would’ve imagined I would be a detective’s partner, but now that I am, I just enjoy it so much! It’s such a joy! Sure, it’s quite deep and dark at times, but working together really helps. I love my new job, and I love you for giving me the job,” she kissed her lover’s cheek sweetly.

“I love you too,” Rainbow said sweetly, kissing Fluttershy in return, not even caring if Applejack snickered at this softer display. “I’ll gladly wade through all manner of darkness as long as you’re at my side.”

“Such love! Such romance and adventure!” Rarity cooed excitedly, entangling her arms about her own lover’s form. “Go seat yourselves, I’ll be by in a moment to take any order you’d like to place,” She said, waving her hand in the direction of the table, her sapphire eyes locked firmly on Applejack’s own, “I’m not sure I’ve properly thanked my soldier for her part in your daring rescue.”

This made Applejack smirk as she held Rarity close, “Ah have no idea… Care ta referesh mah memory?”

“I’ve always believed actions can speak a little louder than words, no matter how lovely those words may be,” Rarity replied, leaning up to give her girlfriend a sweet kiss on the lips. “So how about you use some words to tell me just what actions you would consider proper thanks~”

Rainbow snicked, turning to Fluttershy, “I think they might be itching for a little alone time, c’mon.”

The detective leader her partner over to their usual table, where she reclined with a sigh of relief. “Nothing quite like coming to a familiar place after a long day of work…” She murmured to herself, then, looking up at Fluttershy, she added, “But nothing beats going anywhere with you Flutters.”

“Oh, you said it, Dashie,” Fluttershy agreed with a bright smile, “I’m glad to go anywhere with you.”

“This is where it all started isn’t it,” Rainbow said, looking around the mostly empty bar. “You, me, the Rock Farm, and some rules that were made to be broken.”

The sweet nostalgia of their past moments here filled Fluttershy’s mind, even though it wasn’t too long ago, “You’re right… This was where it all started. Right here in this lovely place… Mmm... I can still remember when we almost kissed…”

“Don’t remind me,” Rainbow groaned with a little laugh, “I don’t think I’ve ever felt so frustrated in my entire life.”

“Me neither,” Fluttershy recalled the aforementioned moment and laughed. She then leaned over, smiling, “Well, now you can kiss me anytime you want…”

“How about right now?” Rainbow said, that same playful smirk that had been on her lips at their first meeting once again making itself known.

Fluttershy gave a sweet, mischievous smile, “Why yes, Rainbow Dash… I would love that.”

Rainbow leaned over the table and met Fluttershy’s lips in a sweet and passionate kiss, just as they had done a thousand times since that first kiss and as they hoped to do a million more in the future.

Over at the bar, Twilight continued pouring through her casework. She had come to realize that a bar wasn’t the ideal place to complete her paperwork… but it wasn’t without its advantages. She looked up to find, as expected, Pinkie Pie hovering over her, that big genuine smile on her lips.

“I’m almost done, Pinkie, I swear,” Twilight said, smiling softly as she returned to her work.

“I knoooooow! I’m just so excited!” Pinkie said happily, clapping a little.

“For me being done with my work?” Twilight asked, not looking up from her papers. “I get plenty excited to be done with this stuff, but I don’t I’ve ever been that excited.”

“Well of course! Being done means we can have fun, Twi-Twi!” Pinkie giggled, leaning over to nuzzle her.

Twilight looked up at her, a little pout on her lips, “We’ve been over this, it’s Officer Sparkle while I’m still on the clock… not that I don’t like being called the other…”

“Okay, Officer,” Pinkie pouted playfully, “But you’re still my Twi-Twi!”

“That I am,” Twilight said, signing her final form with a little flourish. “And now I’m officially off the clock.”

“Woohoo! Yay!” Pinkie danced a little, and presented her with a drink, “Here you go! Your off-the-clock drinkie, just like you requested!”

Twilight accepted the drink happily, putting away her paperwork before indulging in the cocktail, which she did soon after. “I think that’s why I love coming here so much,” She joked, reaching back behind her head to undo her pony tail, “The service.”

Pinkie beamed, thrilled to hear this, “That’s sooo awesome, Twi-Twi!” She looked over toward their friends, observing the two detective partners as they exchanged conversation while occasionally sharing a kiss across the table, “Awww… so cute! I just knew it, the minute I first saw them come in together, I knew they’d fall soooo hard for each other!”

“You know, I knew it too,” Twilight said thoughtfully. “When Rainbow first came into the police station with Fluttershy, the way they acted together, I knew there had to be something that would happen there.”

“I know!” Pinkie laughed, nudging her slightly, “The way they looked at each other, and how Dashie was in such denial at first, it was so cute! Oh, Dashie especially had it bad for Flutters before even meeting her! Hee hee! She told me all about it when she was drunk one time! ‘Oh, Fluttershy’s the most beautiful woman who lived!’, ‘Pinks, I think about her all the time and I dream about her!’ and all that stuff! It was so funny!”

Twilight gave Pinkie a sly smile, “You’ll have to tell me more about that so I have some ammo for the next time she comes breaking down my door, sniffing for leads on a case.”

“Careful, then!” Pinkie warned, laughing, “She also said, ‘No way she’d go for a lowlife gumshoe like me! She’s way too beautiful and awesome, she could have any lady out there!’ and oh, there was this one! ‘I’d marry her if I could!’ So cute!”

“Everything those two have been through,” Twilight said, casting her gaze in their direction. “The bigger shock would be if there weren’t any wedding bells in their future.”

Pinkie mock-gasped, “How horrible that would be!”

“Oh that’ll never happen,” Twilight said with a laugh, “Just look at them, they’re goners.”

Looking at the pair, Pinkie giggled as she observed them sharing a kiss, which was lasting a little longer than usual. Had the table not been separating them, there was no telling what they could be doing.

“No kidding! They’re downright in love, those two!” She agreed.

Twilight agreed, nodding her head and observing the two once more. They truly were in love but at the same time, their love had gone beyond that, touching more than just their own lives. Twilight wondered if had Fluttershy not gone to Rainbow for help, what could have happened to all the future victims of Sombra’s crimes? What would have happened to Fluttershy? Would Twilight now even be sitting here, enjoying a drink with a woman whom she’d come to share much of her “off-the-clock” time with?

For their own sakes, as well as every life they had touched, it had been quite fortunate that Fluttershy had walked into that office, and that Rainbow had so enthusiastically lent her services. No one would have ever expected things to turn out as they did. In turn of such events, Rainbow met the woman of her dreams, while Fluttershy found love in the most unexpected place. The man known as Sombra may have reigned terror on many, but it certainly changed things. That at the very least was truly resolved.

At least until the next case would roll around.

Author's Note:

And there it is! :D It is done! Woohoo! We really enjoyed writing this story and we hope you guys enjoyed it, too! It's been a great journey, as well as bringing us closer together as friends! Thank you all so much again for reading, and a huge thank you to vero-chan! Not only for providing awesome cover art, but also for the immense support!

We'll see you in the next story!

Comments ( 19 )

Please tell me you two are turning this into a series because it so deserves it.

Goddamn, this was a great read. A really great read. The ending had me on the edge of my seat, truly. This is a great story you have here, and I do hope you continue it. You've earned a like and a favorite.:rainbowkiss:

I found this an enjoyable read. Even though I take issue with any of the Mane Six hooking up romantically, I was so immersed in the story to be truly bothered by it. I hope you continue this down the line.

Ooh, this might fit with my group.

I'mma read this shit.

Wow, I never thought I would read a story like this, but wow. It's amazing.

This is actually the first time I've read a story with lesbian couples, and I was hooked throughout. It was captivating, realistic, cute and more words. I couldn't put my iPad down actually. The descriptions were detailed and I look forward to reading more of your stuff.

I think Ronald Reagan said it best after reading "The Hunt for Red October": this was "unputdownable."

I actually read this a few months ago, but I've decided I need to leave comments on stuff I like, so that's what I'm doing here. :twilightsheepish:

Anyways, this is one of the most memorable fics I've read. I think what I enjoyed most about it was the mood and the setting. When I read fiction I'm always painting a picture of the scene in my head, and I really like stories with atmosphere that I can feel. Not sure that's a great description, but anyways, my point is that you guys nailed it in that regard!

Now to nitpick a bit, I don't think the mystery itself had quite the same level of intrigue that the very best mysteries have. Which is understandable since I'd imagine crafting the perfect mystery would be really, really difficult, and you've still done a great job here. I just felt that the climax and the parts leading up to it when Dash and Shy begin to figure everything out didn't quite have the impact I was hoping they would.

I think one thing that threw me off was there were a few places where I got confused, and started to think I had missed something. One example was when Fluttershy recognizes one of Sombra's associates while they were tracking Fluer. I can't quite remember what exactly I was confused about here so I could be getting things wrong (sorry!), but I think I was under the impression that Dash and Shy knew very little about Sombra and thought he was a loner, so I was confused when they started talking talking about associates. In general it just got a little difficult to follow what they know about Sombra in the later chapters. So for the prequel and sequel, my suggestion is to carefully plan out the information you're going to reveal, and when you're going to reveal it. (I imagine this would be one of the hardest parts of writing a mystery; revealing just the right amount of information so that the reader can speculate, but not too much that it's obvious.)

And speaking of the prequel and sequel you guys are writing, I'm really excited for them! :yay: I read a lot of shipping (and a lot of Flutterdash in particular), and much of it tends to be pretty similar in premise and setting, even humanized fics which seem to mostly be set in high school or college. Not that that makes them bad or anything, I just mean I really like your idea here! It's a great premise that I havn't seen done before in pony fanfiction.

Make it into a series now!
5270967 Now now!NOW NOW!NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



pretty please?:pinkiehappy:

THIS STORY WAS AMAZING!!!!!!:twilightsmile:

Wow that was great, I loved it and the premise. The story itself was lovely and very satisfying.
Maybe this just had to do with my particular tastes and my very short attention span. Because I've not yet seen anyone say this But at least to me the romantic dialogue seemed a little bit repetitive. And sometimes I longed for something to happen or felt like the romantic scenes dragged on where as the other scenes had neon the edge of my seat. Anyways it's more than likely just a preference.
Loved the story :)

Comment posted by RegMoDII deleted Jul 17th, 2021

10904101
,,Oh, and we have a separate one-shot of their... steamy first time. ;)"
Since you asked for it in the comment I was hoping that maybe you got that

10904159
OH, yes I did actually I will pm you when I dig it up

10918108
No, I remember having it but I can't figure out where I put it. Sorry to get your hopes up

10918133
oh...thats really sad
but if you will ever find it send it to me

10918229
Sure, but I can't make any promises

Login or register to comment