• Published 8th Aug 2013
  • 14,779 Views, 402 Comments

A Colt's Tale - my_little_medic



The following is the story of a grown man who comes to find himself in equestria and how he gets along as a pegasus colt.

  • ...
29
 402
 14,779

Answers

Dear Princess Celestia,

After searching the Everfree Forest for the last two days, we haven't found anything out of the ordinary. We've searched from the edge of the forest near Ponyville all the way to the castle ruins in the center. Nothing appears different with the forest and none of the animals seem to be acting any differently. However, we did find a little pegasus colt all by himself in the forest. The little guy was in pretty rough shape. It looked like he had a nasty run in with the timberwolves. We took him to the Ponyville Hospital where he was admitted into the foals wing. We asked around town and no one in Ponyville or around the area is reporting any missing children. It seems strange that a colt would end up by himself in the Everfree Forest but perhaps there's more to the story. Some of us are planning on visiting him later today to see how he's healing up and to see if we can figure out where his parents are. I hope this letter puts your mind at ease over the disturbances you've been sensing in the Everfree Forest.

Your Faithful Student,
Twilight Sparkle

A knock on the door brought Twilight Sparkle back to her senses. She magically set her quill down on the table and opened the door.

"Oh! Hi Applejack, hi Applebloom!" She said with a smile.

"Hey there Twilight! We finished up our chores early today and thought we'd see if you wanted ta head up ta Ponyville Hospital and check in on that little pegasus we found." Applejack said.

"Yeah! I brought some fresh apples for him from our farm!" Applebloom said enthusiastically as she turned and showed off her bulging saddlebag.

Twilight raised an eyebrow at the little filly. "You think he's gonna be able to eat all those?"

"Of course! No one knows how long he was out there in the forest by himself right? So who knows when the last time he had something good ta eat was." Applebloom added.

Twilight smiled and rolled her eyes. "Sure I'll go with you. Give me just a minute to finish up my letter to the princess." She said as she magically rolled up the letter and slid a seal onto it.

"Where's Spike at? Doesn't he normally do that fer ya?" Applejack asked.

"I sent him into town to run some errands for me. He'll be back a little later today." Twilight replied as she magically set the letter down in a basket labeled 'Spike.'

The three of them left Twilight's library and headed through town to the Ponyville Hospital. As they crossed through the market area of town, they came across Fluttershy who was looking over different herbs that one of the vendors was selling.

"Hi Fluttershy!" Twilight said as they approached the shy mare.

"Oh... Hi girls. I was just looking for some different herbs to expand my tea garden." Fluttershy replied.

"You wanna come with us Fluttershy? We're gonna go see that little pegasus ya'll rescued from the Everfree Forest." Applebloom said.

"Oh... Well...?" She replied while looking up and tapping a hoof to her chin. "I suppose it wouldn't hurt to see how he's doing."

"Great! C'mon ya'll! Let's get going!" Applebloom exclaimed excitedly.

The four ponies continued their short walk through town before ending at the hospital. The doors of the hospital opened automatically to let the group in. The usual white colored mare with her pink bunned' mane stepped up to the front desk. A smile showed on her face as she recognized three of the ponies that brought the little injured colt into the hospital a couple days ago.

"Hello ladies! Have you come to check up on the little one you brought to us?" She said in a cheery tone.

"If that's all right with you." Twilight responded.

"Of course! He woke up this morning and has been really quiet all day. I think some visitors is just what he needs." The cheery nurse said. "Follow me, I'll take you to his room."

The nurse turned and walked a short ways down the hall with the others following behind her. She pushed open a set of double doors that had several colorful paintings of animals and birds on them. Above the doors, the group noticed a sign that acknowledged this was the foal's wing of the hospital. The nurse stopped just outside of an open doorway into one of the rooms.

"You have some visitors sweetheart!" The nurse said cheerily to the occupant.

~~~~~

The medicine the nurse gave me had worked, and I had slept through the night. I slowly opened my eyes and let out a huge yawn. The sun was up and beaming a bright yellow glow into the hospital room through the only window. It was definitely morning. I shook the loose hair from my mane out of my eyes and stretched my front legs forward. I noticed that the tubing from my left foreleg had been removed and there was just a small wrap of bandaging where it had been. I looked around the room, noticing all the different paintings on the walls and ceiling.

'I'm definitely in a children's hospital.' I thought to myself.

There were paintings of dragons and different kinds of animals. But, the thing that attracted my attention the most was the painting of a bright red and yellow bird that was on the wall next to the window. It was such a majestic and powerful looking animal. It's wings reminded me of flames and it looked as if you'd get burnt if you reached out and touched it.

My thoughts were cut short as I heard the door to my room open. The same sweet nurse from last night came in and she was pushing a cart with her head. She pushed the cart up to the side of my bed before looking up at me with her warm smile.

"It's good to see you awake." She said in her cheery voice. "Feeling any better?"

I looked to my bandaged flank and wings before looking back to her and giving a little nod.

"Good! The doctor will be in a little later today to see you and ask how you're feeling. Until then I'd like you to try and eat something. Okay sweetie?"

I shot her a shy smile and nodded as she turned and merrily trotted out of my room, leaving the door open. It was no surprise that I was absolutely starving. I hadn't eaten anything since I woke up in this place. I slid over to the food tray that was on top of the cart the nurse had brought in. A look of confusion spread across my face as I looked down at the strange food she wanted me to eat.

On one of the plates, there was a small pile of green pureed mush that looked like pond scum. Another plate held a sandwich which, using one of my hooves, I lifted up the top piece of bread. The inside was filled with assorted flowers and what looked like grass. I sighed as I set the piece of bread back down. The last plate held a couple of, what looked like, chocolate chip cookies. Raising an eyebrow, I grabbed one of the cookies in my teeth and brought it in between my hooves. I took a bite and it tasted wonderful. It was soft like it had just come out of the oven at a bakery. With a few more bites it was gone. I grabbed the other one and finished it off as quick as the first.

My stomach growled slightly. I was still hungry but I couldn't bring myself to eat the nasty looking green mush or the weird flower sandwich. I took another look at the painting of the bright red and yellow bird on the wall. I found myself wondering what kind of bird it was. I had never seen anything like it before.

My attention wavered from the bird on the wall and I began to visually explore my surroundings a bit more in depth. There was a bookshelf built into the wall on the other side of the room. It was mostly empty except for some stray decorations and a few books on the bottom shelves that were laying on their backs.

'Was I able to get out of bed?' I wondered. 'What the hell... I am an adult after all.' I concluded.

I turned myself in the bed so my back legs were dangling off of the edge. Slowly I slid my self down to the floor. I tried to keep my front hooves dug into the mattress of the bed as I slid but quickly found that this wasn't working. 'Thump!' I landed on my rear on the floor. A quick and sharp pain shot through my left flank as I landed. I stifled a scream as I let the pain die back down. I stood back up on all fours and limped the short distance to the bookshelf.

'These are all books meant for children.' I thought as I looked at the colorful and picturesque covers.

I pushed the books aside one by one as I read the titles until I found one that caught my attention. 'The Founding of Equestria; A Guide for the Young.'

I raised my head with a sudden realization.

"Equestria...?!" I said out loud, announcing my confusion.

I pulled the book off of the shelf and onto the floor. Carefully I opened up the book with my teeth and plopped back down on my stomach as I started reading. The book talked about three different tribes of ponies. They were earth ponies, unicorns and pegasi. The earth ponies were blessed with strength and the knowledge of the ground. They knew how to make plants and crops grow plentiful to keep themselves and the members of the other tribes from hunger. The unicorns were blessed with the gift of magic and would bring forth night and day. Finally, the pegasi were responsible for bringing forth the rain and sunshine that the crops needed to grow and thrive. Their bodies were light and their wings allowed them to fly and manipulate the clouds.

'Unicorns...?! Pegasi...?! Magic?!' I thought as I tried to wrap my mind around this concept. 'So... magic is real here... ?'

My head started to hurt as I tried to rationalize all of this. I stuck my nose back into the book and continued reading. I learned about the three tribes' falling out with one another and the devastating winter storm that ensued. However, when the three tribes came together in friendship it ended the storm and allowed the land to thaw and return to life. The three tribes named the land Equestria and vowed to work together in friendship to help each other survive and prosper. Soon after the three tribes had founded the new land, two royal sisters stepped forward and revealed themselves. They made an agreement with the inhabitants of the land that they would use their magical powers to bring forth the day and night. As well as to help keep peace and harmony prevalent and to banish away any that would seek to harm their subjects. The inhabitants of Equestria rejoiced and celebrated their new rulers by making banners and shrines to honor them in their towns and homes.

I took a deep breath as I closed the book with my teeth. "Wow...!" I said.

I really didn't know what to believe at this point. My mind was an absolute mess now. I stood back up on all fours and kicked the book back on the shelf. I turned to make my way back to the bed but another book suddenly caught my attention. I put a hoof on the cover and dragged it off the shelf in front of me. Their on the cover was a picture of a bright fiery looking bird. I took a glance up at the picture on the wall and then back down to the one on the book's cover. They were almost the exact same. After a few minutes of staring at the cover I looked up at the title.

"Magical Creatures of Equestria." I read out loud.

I opened the book with my teeth and started reading. Each page had a picture of a creature with a description of them on the page after. There were minotaurs, big burly muscular bull looking creatures that walked upright on two legs. Griffons, creatures with the rear body of a lion and front body and head of an eagle that can fly.

'Creatures that were only things of myth back in my world are supposedly real, living and thriving beings here.' I thought as I read on dumbfoundedly.

I turned the page and without even thinking blurted out. "DRAGONS...! DRAGONS ARE REAL HERE!!!"

My eyes were huge and my jaw was on the floor. I quickly turned the page before reading any more on that topic. No way my brain could comprehend that at the moment. I shut my eyes for a moment and took a deep breath before focusing once more on the book. I tilted my head to the side as a picture of a bright red and yellow bird greeted me on the page.

I eagerly read the information on the page out loud. "Phoenix; a fiery bird known for its bright red and yellow coloring. The phoenix is a creature that many experts know little about. It is a fierce protector of its young and others of its own kind. When reaching the end of its lifespan, the phoenix will burst into flame until there is nothing left but a pile of ashes. The phoenix is then magically reborn anew from the ashes and its lifespan starts over. This makes the phoenix's actual lifespan impossible to determine, or even to determine if a phoenix ever actually dies."

I turned my attention back to the picture on the other page as a small grin came across my face.

My thoughts were suddenly interrupted and I jumped as I heard a voice in the doorway.

"You have some visitors sweetheart!" The nurse exclaimed.

I stood up and limped over to the bed, peeking around the corner at the nurse pony.

Her eyes narrowed and her cheery smile faded a bit as she noticed me on the floor.

"Now what do you think you're doing out of bed?" She said in stern voice.

My ears drooped and I let my gaze fall to my hooves. I was in trouble and I had no idea what to say or even how to react. I looked back up at the nurse and I could feel my cheeks getting hot as I started to blush through my white fur. What made it worse was that standing behind her were several other ponies that had just witnessed me getting into trouble.

The nurse walked over to the tray that she had pushed in earlier on the cart.

"Tch! I see you ate the cookies but didn't touch any of the other food here! I can't say I'm surprised at that but you really should try eating some actual food instead of just sweets." The nurse commented in an annoyed voice. "Now come on, back into bed!"

I limped my way from around the bed over to the side that the nurse was standing at. I took a quick peek to the doorway and saw that they were all watching as I was getting scolded.

'This is so embarassing.' I thought as I felt my face getting hotter. 'I should just tell her no and leave. But, I guess the chances of them letting a child do that are pretty slim...'

I let out a sigh as I stood up on my hind legs and put my front hooves on the top of the bed. I began to try and lift myself up when I suddenly felt the nurse put her head underneath my rump and lift me up onto the bed. I took a light tumble onto the matress and landed softly on my stomach.

'Oh the humilities just keep on coming...' I thought as I stood up and turned to face the nurse.

"There you go! Now enjoy your company and make sure you try and eat some more of your food okay sweetie?" The nurse said, her warm smile and cheery tone returning.

I simply gave her a little nod to acknowledge her. She then turned, nodded at the others, and trotted out of the room.

The other ponies at the door all slowly walked into the room. It looked like there were three adults and a smaller pony that was about my size. Suddenly, something caught my attention. One of the ponies, a purple mare with a deep purple mane and tail that had a pink stripe through it, had a horn protruding out of the top of her head. I couldn't take my eyes off of it. My thoughts began wandering back to the book I had read about unicorns and being able to do magic.

"Umm... Hi there?" The purple mare stated.

I was brought out of my trance and met her gaze.

'Crap! How long had I been staring?' I wondered.

I tried forming words in my head once again but the only thing I was able to spit out was. "...Magic?"

The purple mare looked at the mare next to her, a very muscular looking brown mare with a blonde mane and tail that was wearing a cowboy hat. The brown mare shrugged before they both turned their attention back to me.

"Uh, yes, I can do magic." She answered.

I tilted my head at the purple mare and tried once again to form words in my head that I would try and speak, but nothing would come to me.

The brown mare looked back at the purple mare and motioned her head forward as if pointing something out. The purple mare gave her a small nod and a smile. I watched without blinking as the purple mare's horn began to glow a pale lavender. Soon something from the corner of my eye caught my attention. Down in front of the three adult ponies stood a peach colored filly that had a fluffy red tail and mane with a red bow tied into it. She was wearing a small saddlebag that looked like it was completely stuffed to bursting. An apple came floating out of the fillies' saddlebag. It was enveloped in the same lavender glow that the mare's horn was emitting. The apple came floating up to the food tray and landed upright on the empty cookie plate.

For the second time today my jaw had metaphorically ended up on the floor. There was the answer to my question I had asked myself earlier.

'Magic is real!' I screamed in my head.

I dropped down onto my rump and sat there staring at the apple with an open mouth.

"Ya know what?" The brown mare asked, breaking up the uncomfortable silence that was falling over the room. "Maybe introductions are in order."

I broke my stare with the apple and looked over at the brown mare. She spoke with a very thick southern accent, which fit her appearance perfectly.

"I'm Applejack!" She said proudly as she pointed a hoof at herself.

She motioned toward the purple mare next. "This is Twilight Sparkle."

The purple mare crossed her hooves and gave what looked like a small bow.

She pointed a hoof at the pale yellow mare next. "This here is Fluttershy."

The yellow mare cast a shy gaze at the ground and tapped the tip of a hoof on the floor uncomfortably She had a pale pink mane and tail and, as I squinted, I noticed she had wings which matched her fur that she kept tucked to her sides. There was also something very familiar about her, but I just couldn't figure out what it was.

"An this here is my lil' sis' Applebloom!" She said pointing a hoof at the little filly in front of her, who was sporting a very toothy grin as she was introduced.

I tried to return the smile but found my thoughts wandering and shifting my gaze between the group.

'Pegasus, unicorn and unless she's hiding a horn under her hat, she's got to be an earth pony.' I thought.

Here they all were. The members of the three tribes that the book I read had talked about.

"Aren't you gonna tell us your name?" A childish voice said.

I looked down at the little filly and noticed that she had a hurt look on her face. I must have been staring again. I certainly wasn't making any effort to intentionally ignore them.

I opened my mouth to speak finally. "I'm Je......." I stopped abruptly.

A sudden realization had hit me.

'Applejack, Applebloom, Twilight Sparkle and Fluttershy..... There's no way that Jerry Mintle is going to pass for any kind of "acceptable" name here.' I thought to myself.

I started to panic a bit. I looked around for some kind of answer. Aware that my abrupt silence was causing the elephant in the room to grow bigger. The others were starting to exchange awkward glances with each other. I turned my head back towards my body and took a deep breath trying to collect my thoughts. I noticed my tail as it stretched out behind me. The bright red with the small streaks of yellow captivating my gaze.

'Wait! That's it!' I let out a tiny gasp as the thought came to me.

I turned back to the painting of the brightly colored phoenix on the wall. It's colors matched the ones in my mane and tail perfectly. Plus, it was a bird and I was a pegasus after all. It had to be the perfect match! I turned my attention back to the small crowd in my room with a small smile.

"Uh... I'm... Phoenix..." I said in a shy voice.

"Wait, what was it again?" Twilight asked with a raised eyebrow.

I let my gaze drop a bit and I could feel the heat building in my cheeks again.

"Ummm..... Phoenix..." I said once more.

The group exchanged glances with each other before each of them turned their attention back to me smiling.

"Phoenix huh? Well that's a mighty fine name!" Applejack said.

I jumped slightly as Applebloom jumped up on the bed next to me, leaving her saddlebag laying on the floor. She reached over and grabbed one on my hooves with her own and shook it.

"It's a pleasure ta meet ya Phoenix!" The little filly said with a warm smile on her face.

Author's Note:

Okay, so this chapter took me a LOT longer to write than the others did. The reason being is that, while I have a lot of ideas for strife and struggle in the story already in my head and ready to go. I don't have the chapters that tie the events together thought out yet. Most of this chapter was me sitting at my computer and wondering what happens next. I also know that chapters like this one can get a little slow and boring but I have to remind myself that it's chapters like this one that help to build the character around the story. Anyway, here's the next chapter and I hope you all enjoy it! Thanks again for reading!