• Published 6th Oct 2011
  • 1,763 Views, 21 Comments

Luna's Escape - sammyberry



Luna flies to a new country to try and live a new life, but starts getting homesick.

  • ...
 21
 1,763

Luna's New Home


A few days later, Luna finally crossed the border into Trotter.
When she landed, she was instantly greeted by alicorn guards. “And just what do you think you’re doing here, outsider? You are not allowed on royal grounds!”

Luna looked up at the three guards with innocent eyes, “These are royal grounds? I’m sorry, I didn’t realize. I’ll leave and-”

The guards scoffed. “You really think you can get away with that petty excuse? You will be taken to the queen,” They put magical chains around Luna’s hooves, attaching her to them.

“Oh great. Now what have I gotten myself into?” Luna thought to herself. As she was being taken to the great castle that she had been completely oblivious about, Luna looked up at the lighting sky. Her sister was raising the sun. Luna closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She wouldn’t go back. She couldn’t go back. She was unofficially banished from Equestria.

The guards led her into the huge brick and stone castle. Torches lit the hallway, moving tapestries were hanging on the walls, and the sweet smell of roast duck was wafting from a slightly open door, which Luna guessed was the kitchen.

They started up a flight of stone steps, which automatically made Luna start reminiscing the past. She didn’t realize it, but she was muttering the occurrences of her night aloud. A guard turned to her and said, “Stop your mumbling,” Luna obediently stopped.

When they entered the throne room, Luna felt a pang of sadness. It reminded her of how life once was, her sitting on her throne beside her sister. It had been more than 1000 years since she had felt the soft cushion beneath her hooves.

But the biggest shock came to Luna when she looked at the queen. She looked exactly like Celestia had when she was younger. The queen had a snowy white coat and a pink mane. She was an alicorn, and the resemblance was unmistakable. Even her cutie mark looked like Celestia’s; a shining sun, except her cutie mark also had soft wisps of white around the sun, like a cirrus cloud.

“Queen Astral, there was an intruder on your grounds,” One of the guards said in a respectable tone. The Queen looked at Luna with kind eyes. She said, “Lightning Heart, unchain this poor pony. She must be new, and I’m sure she simply did not know. Now tell me, little one. What is your name?” Queen Astral looked at Luna.

“Prin- Luna, Your Highness,” Luna caught herself. She was obviously not viewed as a princess, so what was the point of giving herself a false title?

The queen smiled and said, “You seem like an innocent pony, but I’m sure you’re alone. May I inquire as to why a young pony such as you is all alone tonight?”

Luna squeezed her eyes shut and hesitated. Queen Astral seemed to catch on to Luna’s silent request, and said in a clear tone, “Everypony please exit the room. Luna wishes to speak to me in private,” Luna gave a grateful smile and waited until the last hoof had crossed the threshold and the door had closed completely before she ran to the queen and sobbed.

“There, there,” the queen said comfortingly. “Please, tell me what’s wrong, dear,” Luna only shook her head; she wasn’t finished crying, and if she tried to explain, her words would not be comprehensible.

After a minute, Luna looked up at the queen and told her her story.

The queen looked at Luna with pity. “I’m very sorry to hear that, Luna. If you need a place to stay, you are welcome to stay here,” Luna said she’d think about it.

Queen Astral thought a moment, then said, “No, Luna. I insist. You may live here as my personal companion. My aid. The one I turn to for help. I would like to know that you are being treated properly,” Luna looked at Queen Astral with wide eyes.

“No offense, Your Highness, but why are you so nice to me?” Queen Astral looked away. “Because I was in your hooves when I was just a little filly. I know what you’re going through, and I do not want any other pony to have to go through that alone,”

Luna smiled through her tears and hugged the queen. Queen Astral returned a hug of her own. Luna said, “I will accept your offer, Your Highness,” The queen nodded and said, “I was hoping you would,”


Behind a slightly open door behind the two beings in the throne room, two other ponies were listening. “The queen is never that nice to an intruder!” Exclaimed the black stallion.

His green mane glowed, and his cutie mark, a glowing blue star, was glowing even more with his jealousy. “I think it’s because that pony’s special,” replied the black pony. Her coat lightened to pink down at her hooves, and her dark blue mane went along nicely, with sparkles dotted throughout. Her cutie mark was a yellow star.

The stallion scoffed. “Yeah right. If you ask me, that pony’s just a suck-up. This is totally unfair,” His company rolled her lilac eyes.


Once Celestia had finished raising the sun, she trotted swiftly back inside. She couldn’t believe Luna had run away. How dare she! She deliberately disobeyed Celestia’s specific orders. Celestia shook her head in disgust and entered the throne room. About a hundred guards sat in rows in front of the throne, waiting for Celestia.

She cleared her throat and said, “Ok. You all know what you must do. You must search all of Equestria, perhaps even outside of Equestria. You must find Luna. And you must bring her back here,” Celestia stopped pacing and looked at her guards. “But um… please do not hurt her,”

Celestia’s top guard, Black Hole, looked at Princess Celestia with a smile. “Of course, Princess Celestia. Anything for you,” Celestia nodded thankfully.

“Now go, and do not return until you have found her! She cannot get away!” Celestia released her guards and they cantered away.

Celestia gazed out a window. “Oh Luna… do you not realize what you have done?” she thought to herself. Celestia could have sworn she felt a tear slowly slide down her cheek, but she wiped it away before anypony could see.


A few hours later Luna was sitting in her own special chair beside the queen. She had been given a bath, and was able to sleep in a big, soft bed. Luna was also given some delicious food. She was never given any special treatment at home, which was a bit ironic, considering she was a princess there and a simple pony here.

Queen Astral sat on her throne and smiled. “Are you ready to see your new home?” Luna looked up at her new queen. “Yes, Queen Astral,” Queen Astral stood up and walked towards two big double doors. “Well, come on, then,”

Luna leaped up and flew over to her.

Queen Astral opened the doors and walked out onto the balcony. “Luna, welcome to Elysian,” When Luna looked out on the landscape of her new home, she gasped.

They were in the sky. Clouds floated by lazily, but they weren’t white; they were a beautiful sunset orange and dark purple and blue and red. The sun was glowing a soft red and purple color. The fields below were a dark green, with blue streaks cracking through the hills and fields. Even though the sun was shining, Luna wasn’t hot. The sun felt wonderful against her mane and coat. It warmed her down to the core, but she felt peaceful. She was sure she’d never be able to fully take in her surroundings, there was too much. Luna looked directly above her. She could see faint sparks in the sky, and she realized with a rush that they were stars. Luna closed her eyes and took in the pure beauty of her new home.

Queen Astral looked at her with a smile. “Will you like your new home?” Luna turned to Queen Astral and nodded, too much in awe even to mutter any words.

“Queen Astral?” came a voice from behind. The two ponies turned around to see the pony that had spoken. It was a black alicorn, with pink hooves and a blue mane. “Yes, Awakened Star?” Queen Astral responded. Awakened Star shuffled her hooves. “Um, Luminance Eternal and I would like to show Luna around the castle,”

Queen Astral brightened. “Oh that would be wonderful! Thank you, Star,” Luna looked from Queen Astral to Star. Star giggled. “It’s ok. I don’t bite,” Luna smiled and trotted towards her. “We’ll be back, Queen Astral!” Star called as she cantered off.

Luna followed her, eager to try and make friends. Once they were out of earshot, Star flung herself around and gave Luna a wary glance. “I’m not sure who you are, or why the Queen has taken such a huge interest in you, but… you seem ok. But just know that Luminance might not feel the same,” Star started flying slowly. Luna leaped up and joined her. She said, “I’ve noticed that so far, the only ponies I’ve seen have been alicorns. Is everypony an alicorn?”

Star answered, “Only ponies who are affiliated with the Royal League. Luminance and I are Queen Astral’s adopted children, so we are alicorns. At first we were only pegasi, but the day after Queen Astral adopted us, we awoke to horns on our foreheads,” she shrugged.

Luna considered this. “I thought alicorns were rare,” Star shook her head. “No, if you look in the right places, you’ll find that alicorns are everywhere,”

Star fluttered down outside a huge gate. “Luminance should be waiting for me in here,” she opened the gate with her horn and walked in. “Luminance! Luna’s here!” Luminance looked up from his spot on a bench. His eyes narrowed.

“Hey, chill out! She’s cool. She’s kinda quiet. And she’s very nice,” Star said. Luminance walked over and held out his hoof. Luna shook his hoof awkwardly.

“Ok, let’s show you around, Luna!” Star said excitedly. She smiled and walked back out the gate. Luna started to follow her, but
Luminance glared at her and walked in front of her. Luna’s ears fell back in sadness. She sighed. Luna followed last glumly.

“So,” Star said as they were showing Luna the dining hall. “Where did you come from? Before you showed up here I mean,” Luna bit her lip. “Um, I’d rather not talk about it, if you don’t mind,” Luminance glanced at her and looked away.

Star shrugged. “Ok. Well do you have any brothers or sisters?” Luna’s eyes started to water. She blinked her tears away and said quietly, “I’d really rather not talk about that either,”

Luminance looked at Luna with a look that resembled pity, but he quickly turned away and formed his expression back into a bored stare. Star looked at Luna but didn’t question her further.

As the three slowly walked past a window, Luna looked out and saw that they were in the sky again. She asked, “How high up is this castle?”

Luminance replied, “It goes from the ground up into the sky, pretty high. If you’ve ever been to Cloudsdale, I think it’s in Equestria, well, it’s about as high as that,” Luna felt a horrible pang in her chest at the mention of her home country.

As they were walking past the main doors on the lowest level of the castle, Luna was casually glancing around when she noticed a sight that made her stop cold and made her blood freeze.

Guards from her sister were outside. And they were walking straight for the doors.