• Published 6th Oct 2011
  • 1,762 Views, 21 Comments

Luna's Escape - sammyberry



Luna flies to a new country to try and live a new life, but starts getting homesick.

  • ...
 21
 1,762

Prologue

Luna looked around the dark stone corridor, making sure her sister was nowhere to be found. Her sister had changed. She was no longer the sweet, loving, caring, and protective sister she had been before she had banished Luna to the moon. Her sister seemed to like being in charge, and so she had made sure that Luna was to never be seen again. Luna felt a tear slide down her cheek. It was as if she had never left the moon.

The sound of her hooves coming down on the hard stones echoed throughout the hall, and for a frightening second, Luna thought one of the guards had seen her and was coming for her. Under order of Celestia, Luna was to stay in the dungeons-or, in Celestia’s words, “The deepest part of the palace,” Luna bit her lip and tried not to cry. She couldn’t believe she was actually trying to escape, but the thoughts of being trapped here, while every other pony was at the Gala made her heart break.

Luna had been allowed to come up to raise the moon, but because of her “trying to take over”, she was “grounded” and therefore could not attend the Gala. Which was kind of ironic, in a way, because then her sister had to raise both the sun and the moon when she banished her. Luna knew in her heart that her sister meant well - at least, she hoped she did - but this was getting out of hand. Luna should have at least been allowed to be at the Gala. But no, she might steal her sister’s spotlight.

As she slowly walked up the stone steps, she made so much noise she just knew she’d be discovered. She flapped her wings as slowly and softly as she could, lifting her hooves slightly off the floor. She was doing great. Until her hoof banged against a step. “Ow!” she cried. A second later, she realized what she’d done. One more second later, and she could hear hooves thundering above her. Luna’s eyes widened in terror.

In a desperate attempt, she jumped up and flew out of the window ten feet higher. Then she nose-dived down to the ground. She had to pull up to avoid crashing. She soared low to the ground and flew as fast as she could. Luna could hear the guards yelling from this distance. She was sure the Gala would be disrupted, but right then she couldn’t care less. Wasn’t like she’d be missing anything.

Luna flapped her wings and they carried her far, far away from the palace of her sister and her orders. No more hiding. Luna wouldn’t be kept cooped up. She needed freedom. And even though she was now flying on her own free will, she still felt cooped up and set apart from the rest of the world.

Luna couldn’t contain her tears anymore. They flowed effortlessly down her cheeks, her sorrow filling the air around her. Luna realized that because she had deliberately disobeyed her sister’s orders, and everypony followed and trusted Celestia, if anypony found her, they would turn her in, and Luna had a feeling the punishment would not be very pleasant.

Yes, the only option she had was to fly away from Equestria. It didn’t matter. It wasn’t like she’d had any friends anyway. Maybe somepony would actually talk to her in another country. Hopefully Luna could find friends who actually cared about her.

With her mind made up, Princess Luna flew across the night sky, leaving a trail of tears in her wake as she flew towards nowhere in particular, simply her new life.