• Published 31st Jul 2013
  • 2,491 Views, 57 Comments

Twin Blades - Craigulus Twinblade



Have you ever wondered what it would be like to have a fresh start in a whole different world than ours? A 16 year old named Craig is about to experience it. Craig, who has always dreamed of this day is finally going to find out what it is like.

  • ...
20
 57
 2,491

The Storm Is Coming!

Everything seemed like a blur to Craigulus. It seemed that it was just yesterday when he found out he was a hero, but now he was standing as a pillar of inspiration to all Equestrians. On the day before the attack, Our hero was made into a commander, and was assigned to lead the training sessions. The day was long, and hard. Teaching the regiments of ponies and griffons was costly to his energy and, after a long day, Craigulus finally gathered the entire army of the triple alliance into the vast town square. Looking out from atop the steps of the king's hall, he began to lead the chant.

"Ponies! Griffons! Why do you fight?!"

The zealous soldiers erupted into a unified chant.

"TO PROTECT THE WORLD!"

"Who do you fight for!?"

"THE PRINCESSES, THE KING, AND THE UNIVERSAL QUEEN!"

The human took a deep breath.

"WHAT IS YOUR PROFESSION!?!?!?!"

"WAR! WAR! WAR!"

The echo of the chant rung throughout the underground city. Our hero smirked and turned to face the rulers and heroes behind him.

"How do you like the chant, my friends?"

A series of nods came from the rulers and heroes of the world. Without wasting time, The dual-wielding warrior faced the force of ten thousand fighters. After clearing his throat, he began his speech.

"My friends, tomorrow is the most important day in not just Equestrian history, but world history as well! When the sun rises tomorrow, we will be standing as brothers and sisters in arms!"

The crowd cut off our hero as they cheered throughout the halls of Gryphus. Our hero raised his right hand to signal for silence.

"In my studies as the apprentice of Celestia and Luna, I have noticed that there has always been a certain degree of hostility between ponies and griffons. As I kept on learning about the battle tactics of both cultures, I started to imagine what would happen if we all joined forces. In the recent turn of events, we are forced to become a unified army! As I look out on the various friendships that bridge the gap between cultures, I think about how sweet it will be when we win against the worlds biggest threat!"

Craigulus unsheathed the soulless blade and raised it to the stone roof of the city.

"My friends! Tomorrow, the soul of the God King will rest in this blade! Go rest, for when we rise, we shall fight and die as true warriors!"

The army let out an uproarious applause as our hero and his friends proceeded into the meeting hall. The human was the last one in, so he shut the door behind himself.

"Well then, how was that for a morale boosting speech!?" Craigulus smirked in a cocky manner.

Celestia was not impressed by the egotistical manners of her student. Turning her head toward Craigulus, she shot a disapproving glare.

"Craigulus Twinblade! Stop letting your ego control you and take things seriously! We could all die tomorrow!"

Our hero was surprised by Celestia's sudden change of moods. Normally, she would be way nicer to him but that was way out of the ordinary to him.

"Sorry. I should think before I speak, I guess."

Feeling clouds of anger in his head, the human almost said something a little more aggressive. Instead, Luna stepped in to defend her crush.

"Sister, just because you don't like his personality, it doesn't mean you should speak to him so unprofessionally! Show some respect to the hero!" Luna stomped her hoof.

Tension rose in the room. As the elder sister and the princess of the night stared each other down, everyone else in the room watched it. Griffiam Wallace the Seventh interrupted the stand-off to try and calm the sisters down.

"With all due respect, we have some last-minute preparations to-"

"Silence, griffon! This is an Equestrian matter here so it has nothing to do with the likes of you!" Celestia snarled.

"Umm, could everypony please stop yelling? I mean, if that's okay with you?" Fluttershy squeaked.

Soon enough, everyone joined in the argument. Everyone, except for Craig. The bearers of the elements of harmony had began to complain among themselves about various things, the princesses and the king were complaining about Celestia's behavior, and the Crystal princess and Shining Armor were having a couples argument. Craigulus concluded that he needed to stop this because it clearly wasn't going to help in the task at hand. He tried getting the attention of his comrades, but every time he tried, he would just be interrupted or ignored all together. Anger took over his mind.

"EVERYONE SHUT YOUR MOUTHS!!!!!!!!"

In an explosion of light, the magical aura returned to him and lunar eclipse form helped grab everyone's attention. The whitened eyes stunned those who looked into them.

"Well then, now that I have everybody's attention, I can speak."

The lunar eclipsed human let his form subside and continued on.

"I have never seen so much division among you guys! What is your problem? I can't help it if I go on and say my own cocky stuff, but why would you get so riled up about it, Celestia!?"

Guilt took the solar princess by storm and she bowed her head in shame.

"And Luna, why did you talk back to your elder sister? Last time I checked, you didn't have the right to tell her to respect people! You are the younger sister so she doesn't necessarily need to listen to your orders!"

Luna closed her eyes and frowned.

"I'm sorry for my own shenanigans too, but Griffiam is right! We need to prepare for tomorrow or the world will be destroyed! I did not come all the way to Equestria and become a hero just to fail in my quest!"

The room was completely silenced once again. Craigulus had done his job as Celestia came forward and apologized for her antics.

"I'm deeply sorry for how I acted. I know the time of battle is near, but I have just been so stressed the past few days and I just couldn't hold it in anymore."

Craigulus marched forward and gently placed his right hand on Celestia's mane.

"You are forgiven, princess."

The rest of the meeting wasn't all that eventful, it was mostly going over the same battle-plan and assigning everyone to their roles in the battle. Craigulus was in charge of fighting on the front line with the Equestrian shield wall, Griffiam Wallace was in charge of fighting alongside the griffon berserks, Shining Armor was in charge of leading the swift soldiers of the Crystal Empire in the event of a quick hit-and-run, and the bearers of harmony were supposed to stand atop the hammer on the monument of Griffthor preparing their big magic attacks. The three alicorns would stay in the battle with the archers, firing magic as time went on. Everything seemed to be in place, so the meeting concluded and everyone left. Before Craigulus proceeded to stroll to his temporary chamber in Gryphus, he saw Rainbow Dash crying in a corner of the meeting hall. Feeling sorry for her, our hero slowly approached the rainbow-maned mare.

"Dash, are you okay?"

Noticing the voice, Rainbow rose to her hooves and put on a fake expression of determination.

"Ohh, I'm fine! What makes you ask? I'm completely okay, trust me!"

"Then why were you crying?"

Rainbow Dash knew it was impossible to fake her emotions now, so she sat back down and let the tears flow once again. She began stuttering as she explained herself.

"i'm crying because- because I- I'm afraid of dying!"

Craigulus, who knew all to well the fear of death, attempted to calm the mare with a smile.

"Well, let me tell you something. I'm afraid of that too!"

Dash looked up and wiped the tears from her eyes while sniffling just a little bit.

"Really? I thought I would've been the only one in the group aside from Fluttershy!"

Craigulus looked away.

"Nope, your not the only one. I guess it feels better to be aware of other people afraid of death, huh?"

Rainbow dash lowered her head and stared at the ground.

"I guess, It still is really scary to me though. I wish I would be protected by someone or something during this fight."

Craigulus knew what she was hinting at, but would it be wise to do that? Knowing he might die if he were to constantly protect one mare, he decided that he should do it anyway. Proceeding to go on one knee to be level with Rainbow, he put his hand on her head.

"Rainbow Dash, if you are put in harms way, I will save you. If you want, you can stand at my side the entire battle. You will not die in this battle Dash."

The pegasus began to embrace the hero.

"Thank you, Craigulus Twinblade. You really are one of the most honorable beings I've ever known!"

Rainbow Dash and our hero made their exit out of the meeting hall. Their chambers were in opposite directions so they had to leave each other immediately.

"Craigulus?"

"Yea"

"If you so much as hint to this happening ever again, i'm going to kick you in the face with my hind legs so hard that your jaw will break."

Craigulus should have known she would say something.

"Okay Rainbow Dash!"

Laughing, the human gave her a salute as he walked away. This was a night that he needed to get some sleep because tomorrow was going to be the greatest day of his life. Tomorrow, his destiny as a hero was going to be fulfilled!


The God King hovered over the ground in his legless incarnation, bent on reaching the city of Gryphus by dawn. Iskandar had been trotting next to him, his guts slightly hanging out of his un-dead body. The God King glanced at him while deep in thought.

"Iskandar!"

"Yes, my master?"

"I am feeling particularly generous. Tomorrow, I want you to kill the human for me. Just remember that, before killing him, you need to kill the rainbow-maned pegasus next to him. While I was watching him just now, he swore protection to Rainbow Dash. Can you imagine the emotional torment he would suffer? I bet he wouldn't be able to fight! I want you to kill them both ever so painfully!"

Iskandar was about to question his commander yet again, this is the first time in his centuries of existence that he actually disagreed with his master's tactics. He had to disagree with him.

"Master, with all due respect, Shouldn't we just kill her quickly and painlessly? We shouldn't put the kid through more torment than he has too, it's kind of barbari-"

The black, flaming hand of the fallen god grasped the neck of the commander.Proceeding to raise his servant into the air, the God King threw his fist into Iskandar's face, thus asserting his dominance.

"Ohh, Iskandar. Why oh why would you be questioning me? You have been my most trusted servant for centuries and just now you start questioning my orders? You better keep your mouth shut and do as I say, GOT IT!?!?"

Iskandar, whom was forced to agree with his master, was thrust down into the dirt.

"By the way, if you fail in killing them tomorrow, consider your life forfeit!"

Iskandar lifted himself off the snow-covered ground as he watched his superior go on without him. Deep within his mind, he cursed at his king. He had been taking his nonsense for centuries and he almost had enough, but now was not the time for hatred, he had a fight to prepare for.


The morning sun rose and the light permeated the mountains of the Griffon Kingdoms. Luna woke up Craigulus frantically and our hero rose from his bed and equipped his twin blades without hesitation. Beginning the long walk to the entrance hall, our hero began asking questions.

"Are the soldiers in position?"

"Yes!" Luna replied.

"Where is the God King's army?"

"They should be here within an hour."

"Good, now go make sure everyone is ready for the assault! We need to be fully prepared! A storm is coming!"

Craig ran toward Rainbow Dash's bedchamber to alert her. This was going to be the most important battle in history, not just for the world, but also for himself.


And so, Our hero is caught on the brink of his first fully fledged battle. This situation comes with many different objectives. First: kill the God King. Second: protect Rainbow Dash from death. Third: find a way to ascend to solar eclipse form. Will Craigulus be able to balance the three objectives and succeed in doing so? Will Iskandar follow orders, or break his pact with his master? Will Griffiam prevent his worst fear of being the last of his line? Will princess Luna be able to control her feelings for Craig in the heat of battle? Will Rainbow Dash be able to put her fears aside and fight with her pegasi brethren? Can the combined armies of Equestria, the Griffon Kingdoms, and the Crystal Empire be safe from the wrath of the God King? Find out on the next exciting chapter of Dragonba- Oh, I mean, Twin Blades!

Author's Note:

I will mostly have time to update on weekends like this.

As always, leave a like, comment, favorite, or constructive criticism.

Craigulus, out.