• Published 20th Feb 2012
  • 1,466 Views, 27 Comments

Dreams and Consequences - Kro Dragon



You find your world torn apart from underneath you. Would you fight for it? Or would you watch it burn?

  • ...
0
 27
 1,466

Visions

Twilight Sparkle, a young purple unicorn, had been inside her library, reading a novel that one of her friends had mentioned upon begging her to read. Although love and romance didn’t tie much with the unicorn, she didn’t stay away from its addictive nature. Time and time again, she would plead herself not to read it, but at others, she was compelled to pick it up and continue where she left off.

Sighing in delight, she continued to read the book as if the day would slowly dissolve into nothingness as night fell. Twilight sometimes even pictured herself as the young mare reaching out into the stars for her desired love. Oh how that day would be… She shook her head at the nonsense, "What am I thinking?" She told herself, "I need to get out more… never thought I’d be telling myself that…"

As Twilight carefully and gently closed her book, she looked up at a small clock that had hung from beside one of her favorite bookcases, the one with the adventure stories, and noticed that it had been a little past midnight. Spike the Dragon was asleep behind her, snoozing gently and at times pawing at the air. Twilight smiled at the baby dragon, what dreams he had were but a mystery. Twilight Sparkle then stood up, stretching and popping almost nearly every bone in her body. Celestia knows how long she was in that position that day. Using her magic, Twilight picked up the baby dragon and slowly started making her way to her room, with Spike floating by. Placing the small baby dragon into the make-shift bed he had crafted himself, she made her way into her own bed, cuddling under her sheets and looking out the window. It was a full moon that night, Twilight’s favorite; maybe… just maybe… she would find the one that had long belonged to her. Her thoughts remained on that subject as she fell into a slow and admiring slumber.

---

Twilight awoke with a shake from a baby dragon. “Twilight!” he said quickly “Twilight!”

“Ohhh…” Twilight said, very much still tired. “Oh, Spike? What is it…? What…” she yawned “What time is it…?”

“Nevermind that!” Spike almost yelled, handing a scroll to Twilight. “It’s from the Princess! It’s urgent!”

Looking at the parchment that Spike held in front of her, the scroll was tied in a gold ribbon, one of more rare ribbons to be used on royal notes. It usually meant something big was going to happen, either a natural disaster (if that were ever to happen in Ponyville) or even banishment. Twilight hesitated in taking the note and slowly opened it. A small black bag came falling from the note. She had pondered about its existence, but then came to the conclusion that the note might have some Intel about the small bag.

“Spike” Twilight said gently, reading the first sentence “It says it’s private, and I don’t mean to be rude… but could you please leave?”

“Oh…” Spike groaned, picking up his makeshift bed and heading down stairs “I guess I won’t know what it’s about, huh?”

Twilight smiled “Sorry Spike, maybe I’ll tell you what it’s about when I fully understand what’s going on…”

Spike smiled and left the small room, downstairs, with his bed in his arms.

Twilight’s gaze returned to the note as she continued to read.

Dear Twilight Sparkle,

I know it is very late, but I need you to heed my word. Lately, the Royal Guards have been fussing over an important issue which I am very afraid of getting out of hand. I cannot let the citizen of Ponyville or any other city know of what is to come. In the black bag is a key, one of many that are around the world of Equestria, I need you and your friends to help collect all 14 keys and head back to the Ancient Sisters Temple with them. I cannot tell you yet what it’s for, as I fear you may not be ready for the outcome. So instead, I shall leave you with this. Please be careful on your journey, I would really dislike if anything bad had happened to you or your friends.

Stay safe, young Twilight Sparkle; I hope to hear from you once you’ve collected all 14 keys.

Your friend and teacher,

Princess Celestia.

P.S. When you touch the key, you will see a vision, a vision of what is to come if you were to fail. Please do not seem surprised as much as I was when I saw it, and make sure that only you see it. I know it will be hard to keep a secret like this, but I’m begging you to not show anypony else.

Twilight Sparkle gently put the note down and hesitated on picking up the bag. She didn’t want to know what Equestria would look like if she were to fail, but slowly curiosity soon overtook her control and grabbed onto the bag. When she picked it up, a small rock-like tablet fell from the inside of the black bag. It looked like a complicated puzzle piece from where it sat on her bed sheet. Slowly, she reached for the key gently grabbing the edge with her hoof…

And what she saw, she couldn’t bear to see again…

From every corner of her eye, she could see the darkest smoke, fire, blood and gore and dead ponies littered on the ground. She turned and saw three dark figures beating at some of the living ponies as one of the ponies screamed at the top of their lungs. In an instant one of the dark figures twisted one of the pony’s heads, and then it went limp. They were dead within the second.

She turned her head and saw another dark figure, a pony-figure, walking briskly towards her. Its horn glowing bright with magic as it neared closer and closer to her. Its eyes were glowing, and brimming with yellow. The three dark figures to her right had stopped beating on the remained carcasses of ponies and all bowed to the dark unicorn’s presence. The unicorn looked directly at Twilight Sparkle herself. Twilight felt herself go weak as she fainted in her vision, and came back to reality.

Shivering, she huddled onto her covers, as if she had just seen a nightmare. Which… she did! She did see a nightmare! A nightmare that would soon become reality if she didn’t make haste fast! Twilight didn’t want to see that vision become a hurtful reality, she knew she had to do something, and the Princess had given her the order. Twilight had to act fast, she didn’t know how long she had, but she knew she couldn’t just sit there. Quickly, Twilight removed herself from her bed and started to walk quickly downstairs.

Spike sat up from his small bed when Twilight opened the door. “Hey Twilight!” Spike said quickly. “Are you okay…? You look like you’ve seen a ghost…”

Twilight shook her head. “The note… was too much for myself to handle…” she lied.

Remembering that the note was private, Spike sighed. “I still would like to know what it was about…”

“When it’s over, Spike” Twilight reminded, “When it’s over…”

And as of right now, it wasn’t going to be over anytime soon…

---

Twilight had packed a few things into a saddlepack before leaving the library. She brought with her a few remedy books (along with Super-naturals and the Novel that Rarity had picked out for her.), The “Key” that Princess Celestia had given to her, which was engraved with the letter “K”, which was odd, and two maps about Equestria, She’d recognized Ponyville right in the middle, and marked suspicious places on both of them that she thought she’d have to check for sure. Twilight gave a small sigh and looked at the small purple dragon, which stood there rather confused and sadden at the same time.

“Do you really have to go so soon…?” Spike said softly and depressed. Twilight sighed and patted Spike on the head.

“You’re a big dragon, Spike…” Twilight said smiling. “I know it’s going to be hard for me to leave again, but I’m sure you can take care of yourself and the library.”

Spike smiled “You can count on me, Twilight! And I’ll make sure that the library will be kept a-okay when you come back!”

Twilight smiled back “I know you will Spike, I believe in you.”

Spike blushed gently at his complement. He nodded off towards her, “Just be careful, okay? I want you to be able to see the library no different than when you left.”

“Oh I know you won’t make any ruckus, we shouldn’t be gone long, I’m estimating about two weeks—“

“Two weeks?!” Spike wondered out loud “Two—Two weeks is a long time!”

“Well, it’s kind of obscure what the Princess meant about our travels…” Twilight Sparkle looked up in front of her; she stood in this exact spot in her vision, this VERY spot. Twilight shook with an incomprehensible fear that crept inside of her, slowly feeding on her like a hungry wolf finding bare meat on the ground for it to gouge on. Twilight slowly gulped and started to head towards Applejack’s.

“Wish me luck, Spike!” she said, hiding the fear in her voice.

“You can count on it, Twilight!” Spike yelled cheerfully. “I know you can do it!”

Twilight looked back at her home, nearly doubting herself that she and her friends could do this…

---

Applejack wasn’t all that busy that day. The orders for the year were done, which means she had two whole months of just relaxing and playing. Applejack didn’t expect visitors that day, as she wasn’t wearing her signature hat.

“Oh! Twilight!” Applejack mustered gently. “Didn’t know you we’re commin’!” the normally calm southern earth pony smiled meekly.

“I’m sorry, Applejack, I didn’t know I was going to visit either.” Twilight admitted calmly, the fear now back in her voice.

“Twi?” Applejack slowly walked up to the purple unicorn. “You alright there, Sugarcube?”

“Yes!” Twilight started quickly. “Well… no…” she finished slowly. “Actually, I’m not sure what I should really be feeling at this point…”

“You sure do sound kin’na scared…” Applejack sighed gently. “Somethin’ the matter? Somepony on yer’ mind’er somethin’?”

"No, nothing like that…” Twilight looked over her shoulder. “I just… had a strange dream… is all…”

“Well, nothin’ like a little day-time outside wouldn’t cheer, right?” Applejack mustered a wide smile, but Twilight couldn’t even look up for a second to recognize it. Applejack placed a hoof on her purple friend’s shoulder “It’ll be alright, Sugarcube…”

Twilight could only hope so. It’s all she could do at the moment.

“So uhh…” Applejack gently pressed a hoof on the ground, breaking the awkward silence with a small “crunch” from the dirt beneath her. “Not to sound rude, but what’re you doin’ here?”

“Yeah, that’s right.” Twilight regain herself, “The Princess needs us…”

“Oh, you mean, like us, us, or…”

“Like you, me, Fluttershy, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, you know?” Twilight said rather quickly as if trying to avoid the subject.

"Why, is somethin’ wrong?” Applejack tilted her head and reached up for her hat, only to remember she wasn’t wearing it.

Twilight slowly nodded her head remembering the image that plastered in her head of those beasts beating at the living ponies. She sighed deeply and looked right back at Applejack. “It’s rather complicated to say what’s wrong… but I’ll tell you… on the road…”

Applejack hadn’t much to do since she was pretty much done for the year, and even if a quick order did pass by, she was defiantly sure that Big Macintosh would take care of the order for her… She’d just have to say she’s leaving for royal business…

“Well, sure then, Sugarcube, I’d be more than happy to join, ‘specially if’n the Princess needs help!” Applejack smiled warmly. Again, Twilight couldn’t smile, but she was glad that a friend had decided to join her.

---

Applejack went inside the barn and picked up a few things. After she had finished packing, the two ponies soon started to head towards Fluttershy’s cottage. They were afraid to ask the small yellow pegasus to accompany them in such a task that might take weeks and they were going places never before that have never really been charted down on any map. At least any map that Twilight knew of and she knew of a lot of maps.

The cottage was a bit bare and essential when they arrived. Lights were off, but then again it was just morning. Twilight gently knocked on the door and a near-silent “eep” was heard in the background. The door slowly opened widely to Angel Bunny, who had been Fluttershy’s pet rabbit for Celestia-Knows how many years. Angel Bunny’s ears then just fell down to his sides as he motioned both Applejack and Twilight Sparkle to walk in.

Fluttershy looked from behind a small green sofa as she smiled gently and walked up to the two ponies that had just entered her humble abode. “Oh… Twilight, Applejack…” said the yellow pegasus, so softly that they both had to lean in a bit to actually hear their own names. “It’s good to see you this morning…”

“Yeah, sure is a nice mornin’, ain’t it?” Applejack smiled looking out the small window.

“Mhmm…” Twilight said in a rather depressed tone. Either Fluttershy didn’t catch it, or was too afraid to ask anything, but she didn’t notice it right away.

“Twi,” Applejack started, nudging the purple unicorn gently. “Ain’t there somethin’ ya’ wanna ask Fluttershy?”

Twilight nodded her head and she looked up at Fluttershy, who sat in front of them both in curiosity. “We, uh… We need you to come with us… on a journey.”

Fluttershy’s head slowly fell down as she eyed the boards on her floor and pawed at them gently. “O-oh…” she muttered softly. “I mean…so soon…?”

Twilight nodded her head “I know its last minute, it was last minute to the both of us, too.” She looked right at Applejack, who nodded her head in agreement.

“Have… you asked anyone else…?” Fluttershy said, again with both Twilight Sparkle and Applejack needing to lean in to hear her.

“We’re goin’ to, but since you were closer, we decided to ask you first…” Applejack rubbed a hoof on the back of her head. “According to Twilight, we really need all of ya’ll.”

“It’s a direct order from the Princess.” Twilight said, standing up in a rather formal fashion trying to show decent respect for her teacher. “And by the way she says it, there’s no other way to do this…”

Fluttershy then pawed at the floor boards gently, suddenly finding interest at the wood. She sighed gently and looked behind herself, a crowd of ferrets, rats, mice, birds, lady bugs; you name it, sat there in a corner looking right up at the yellow pegasus. “What… what about the animals…?” She said gently “I mean… who’s going to feed them every day? I-I really thing I should… you know, stay around…here…”

Twilight looked at Fluttershy with pleading eyes. “Please, Fluttershy, I know you don’t want to go, I know how you hate to see your animals leave, and I know how much you hate traveling, but we really need your help…”

Applejack nodded her head. “Why, I bet I c’n get Apple Bloom to take care of the animals! No worries!”

Fluttershy gave it a second thought when she looked back at the animals, They all nodded in agreement that she should go if they really needed her help. Fluttershy took a deep sigh and closed her eyes tightly. “I… I suppose I can go…”

Twilight smiled and hugged her yellow pegasus friend. “I really wish there was another way. I’m sure your animals would be fine under Apple Bloom’s care.”

“Knowin’ that little filly” started Applejack, “She’d be more than happy to take care of’em little critters, what with her Cutie Mark Crusadin’ and all…” Applejack gave with a small hearty laugh.

Fluttershy smiled gently and looked up at Applejack “Thank you…” she said.

Applejack grinned mildly “We better go get somepony else now.”

“Yeah…” Twilight said, back in her sadden mood. “Let’s go”

---

The next to come up was Rarity; her Boutique was as bright and elegant as ever. Something Rarity would be good at, of course. Twilight knocked on the door, and a regal voice from the inside said “Commiiiing~” in a sing-song voice.

When Rarity opened her door, she smiled. “Oh! Girls!” said white unicorn happily “Come in, come in, please!” Twilight, Applejack and Fluttershy one-by-one entered the door, with Fluttershy nearly stumbling over the doorstep.

“Oh, do be careful, dear” Rarity said gently. “Are you alright?”

“Oh I’m fine…” Fluttershy said lifting her hoof, “It’s… it’s fine…”

Rarity nuzzled the side of Fluttershy’s head gently. “Well, what can I get you girls today?” Rarity said smiling wider. “I’ve been making some new designs and—“

“We kin’na need yer’ help, Rarity.” Applejack said, gently pawing the floor.

“Hmm? Well I’m sure that’s why you’ve come here in the first place as intended, is it not?” Rarity turned to face them; the three ponies nodded their heads gently. “So what is it?” she said rather rushed.

“We need to go search for something…” Twilight said rather insensibly. “By order of the Princess herself…”

“Another one of these little charades?” Rarity said looking over a cabinet filled will various cloths and yarn. “Tell me, what is it this time? Not another foul dragon, I suppose?”

“Yeah, I’d like to know what it is too.” Fluttershy said gently “Uh... You know… if you don’t mind…”

Applejack nodded her head “We all would like to know…”

Twilight sighed and looked up at the three ponies. “I promise I’ll tell you what this is all about after we’ve gotten the others along with us. It’s going to be a burden to have to repeat myself five times…” She looked around gently blushing “You know, no offence…”

“It’s mighty fine, Sugarcube.” Applejack laughed “It’s not like we’re gettin’ all picky about it…”

Twilight look right back down, afraid of what they would say if she said something early. Would they agree to it then?

“So, Rarity…” Twilight said still looking at the ground. “Do you think you can come with us?”

Rarity looked around her shop and gently preened onto one of the mane-iquens that held some of her dresses. “I don’t know, dear…” she said softly. “I do have a lot of orders to come, and with winter progressively coming, I don’t think I’ll have time for travel…”

“But we really need everyone’s help!” Twilight said hurriedly. “We—It’s dire that we all accompany each other. It HAS to be done!”

Rarity looked at the floor slowly. “It’s just… there’s nobody to take care of Sweetie Belle, and… well… I don’t want to leave her by herself in my store… you know how that’s like, right Applejack?” She smiled widely, hoping to dig into Applejack’s older-sibling nature.

“Well, how about I ask her to help with the animals…?” Fluttershy said softly, hiding behind both Twilight and Applejack. “I’m… I mean… if you’re okay with it…”

The white unicorn looked at the small yellow pegasus and sighed. “Knowing that Sweetie Belle, she’d love to do it, especially for a Cutie Mark… I suppose then I can accompany you… Just… just let me pack some things…” Rarity walked off into another room a little moping.

“Guys…” Applejack stared “Ya’ think somethin’s on Rarity’s mind? She’s never this down-in-the-dumps unless she’s fallin’ head-over-hooves for some stallion.”

“She does seem out of it…” Twilight said in a whisper. “Maybe we should ask her on the road…?”

“I’m sure that’s a great idea…” Fluttershy said, in her normal whispering voice. “I’d dislike seeing anypony sad on our journey…”

---

The four ponies were now heading towards Sugarcube Corner, in hopes to accompany the pink party pony into their small group. When a familiar cyan and rainbow blur had passed their eyes then back right in front of them.

“Hey!” said the cyan pegasus, Rainbow Dash “Why’re ya’ll heading to Sugarcube Corner?” Rainbow Dash ruffled her feathers roughly. “Wait… is… is Pinkie Pie throwing a party without me?!” she grunted and faced Sugarcube Corner “Why that little--!”

“No, Rainbow,” started Applejack “She’s not throwin’ a party.”

“Really?” Rainbow Dash looked all around her “Cuz I could’ve SWORN you were going to a party without me!” she eyed the saddlepacks “How do I know those aren’t party favors? Huh?!”

Twilight sighed gently but found this as a good opportunity to grab the cyan pegasus into their journey. “Rainbow Dash…” She said gently, almost under her breath. “We need you to come with us.”

“For what?” asked the cyan pegasus rather relentlessly, but curious either way.

“We’ve been given the order by Princess Celestia to go on a journey.” Rarity said. “Strangely, we’ve all have to go. Not sure why, but the Princess knows best.”

Rainbow Dash flew up in the air slightly “A journey?” She thought out loud “Well, I’ve been meaning to get away from Scootaloo, I’m sure she’ll understand.”

“Oh right, you’re tryin’ to be more friendly t’wards her.” Applejack tilted her head. “How’s that commin’ along?”

“Psh, I thought it’d be easier.” Rainbow Dash admitted reluctantly. “I mean, you and Rarity make it look SO easy! How do you do it?! Seriously…”

The five of them started towards Sugarcube corner once more with Applejack, Rarity and Rainbow Dash continuing their conversation. Fluttershy noticed Twilight Sparkle with her head taking interest in the dirt, something was on her mind, and for that one instant, she had a strong feeling that it wasn’t good. Fluttershy wrapped her wing gently around the purple unicorn when as Twilight looked up at her. Fluttershy gave a very warm smile. “You know…” Fluttershy started. “I remembered when you had so much faith in me when we had to remove that dragon…”

“Yes…” Twilight said gently, smiling back a bit. “I still have faith in all of you.”

“Well…” Fluttershy said gently “We all have faith in you… I’m sure…I’m sure once we get going… it’ll be okay, right…?”

Twilight smile had widened when she remembered reciting those same words to Rainbow Dash before their trip up the mountain to remove the dragon. She hugged the yellow pegasus gently. “Thank you, Fluttershy.”

Fluttershy made a small squeak at the hug and giggled. “What else are friends for?”

---

“Oh of COURSE I would love to come!” Started the pink party pony, happily hopping around the 5 ponies once they had reached Sugarcube Corner. “Anything would be fun with my friends! You know, that’s ONLY fun things to do WITH friends! I mean, what other fun things could there be? OH! I KNOW!!! How about every place we visit, we can throw a party INSIDE of it?! It’ll be like an exotic party with strange things and stuff!” Pinkie Pie was pretty much hitting the roof with excitement, or at least the 2nd floor.

“I don’t think that would be such a good idea, darling…” Rarity said, already holding a hoof to her head from an upcoming headache. “It’s more serious than anything worth partying about…”

“Aww!! But it would be so much fun!” exclaimed the pink party pony. “Oh! I’ll go start packing!” Pinkie Pie then giggled almost creepily and hopped upstairs. The five ponies then sighed gently.

“It’s like every time she finishes talking, I need to take a nap…” Rainbow Dash squawked

“Yes, but once she does stop talking, she starts right back up again.” Rarity put her hoof down slowly. “Honestly, are you sure we should bring her? I mean not to sound rude, but I don’t think she’s quite fit for this sort of work…”

“Pinkie Pie’s our friend, either way!” Applejack started “’sides, we need her because Princess Celestia told us to, ain’t that right, Twi?”

Twilight just nodded her head slowly, sighing a bit. “All we can do is hope right now that we can get this over with quickly…”

“Why?” Fluttershy asked softly. “I mean… you know… you don’t have to say now—“

“I’m baaaack~” Pinkie Pie appeared from nowhere in front of the five ponies, whom all jumped back a bit in shock. “Sorry I took so long! What’re you talking about? OH! Is it a game? I love games!”

“It’s not a game, Pinkie Pie.” Rainbow Dash said. “I think Twilight’s gunna tell us something.”

All the ponies had gathered around Twilight Sparkle, their eyes fixated on nothing else but rather at the curiosity that they had held deep within. Twilight started to curl her hair into her hoof gently and gently looked up at them.

“I… saw a vision…” Twilight said in a low-toned voice. “A vision sent to me from the Princess through a… ‘key…’”

“A key?” Rainbow Dash said in a deadpanned voice “How can a key show you a vision?”

Twilight reached into her saddlepack and removed the small tablet with the letter ‘K’ on it. “This is one of the many keys we’re set to find. And through this key, I saw a vision that no pony should ever see! It… it was gruesome, terrifying…” She turned to look at each pony in front of her. “It was something I should’ve never witnessed, something that no pony could even stand to watch. Never in my life have I ever felt fear as much as I am feeling now…”

“Is that whah’ you’re all mopey an’ such?” Applejack asked. “Because of some silly vision?”

“It’s not silly!” Twilight retorted. “Princess Celestia said that this is a vision of the future if we were to fail. That’s why I needed you all, because I know with us six, we cannot fail.”

“Surely you don’t mean that.” Rarity walked up slowly towards Twilight. “We may be your friends, but (I’m afraid to admit…) we all have our own faults…”

“But that’s why I trust you all.” Twilight walked past each one of them. “Because you all learn from your mistakes quickly, and I’m sure the perils we face will be nothing different from what we’ve already been through together!” Twilight started tearing up a bit and smiling. “You’re all special in your own ways, not even I could comprehend. With our combined skills, knowledge and strength, I’m more than positive that we can overcome any obstacle.”

Pinkie Pie cheered “Yeah! We’re all for one, and one for all!”

Rainbow Dash sighed “Not to pester… but… what did you see…? You know, in that vision?”

Twilight’s eyes drooped down. She knew it was against Princess Celestia’s orders, but she had to show them… Slowly, Twilight held out the key in front of them. “Place your hooves on this… and you’ll see…”

Almost reluctantly, each pony slowly grabbed onto the small tablet at the same time…

They saw everything Twilight had seen, everything she had told them was what they all were now viewing as if through another ponies eyes. Burning houses, charred bodies and cracked open skulls of pony folk littered on the ground. Three massive figures beating on the weak and defenseless, and a unicorn pony running up to them, a full gallop, laughing with eyes brimming yellow.

A sure sign of something apocalyptic…