• Published 20th Feb 2012
  • 940 Views, 7 Comments

Shards of Nightmare - Stonedpony



the bearers of harmony are sent to retirve peices of Nightmare moon, however they have some "he

  • ...
 7
 940

Wrong Doing

Wrong Doing

Sugar Cube Corner was strangely light on customers for the lunch time rush. The Cakes we're actually thankful for the unusually calm lunch because the morning shipment of ingredients had been a little light on some of the ingredients they needed for the day. Pinkie Pie had volunteered to go buy the ingredients they needed, her employers couldn’t say no to those big blue eyes of hers even if the last time didn’t go so well.
“now Pinkie remember this is the stores money and you have to wright down what ever you spend, we have to keep the records straight.” Mister Cake said as he trotted back and forth nervously in front of Pinkie Pie.
The mare stood at attention trying to be serious, but being Pinkie she couldn’t help but look goofy. She saluted and said “Yes sir Mister Cake sir.”
“oh deary me.” Mrs Cake said as she walked out of the kitchen. She trotted around the store front looking under tables and in some of the cabinets “where could it be?”
“where could what by honey bun?” Mr Cake asked concerned for his wife.
“oh sugar plum I cant find the cook book.” Mrs Cake replied.
“you think we would know all our recipes by hart by now.” Mr Cake dead paned.
“you think.” the blue mare replied staring off into the distances before continuing to search for her cook book. The twins watched from their play pin.
“I’ll help you look powdered doughnut.” Mr Cake said walking over to his wife.
“I’ll help too.” Pinkie Pie said.
“no that’s okay Pinkie.” Mr Cake said “we need you to go buy those ingredients.”
“yes sir, Mister Cake sir.” Pinkie Pie said with a salute. She hurried out the front door the twins waved at her as she left.
As Pinkie Pie happily trotted down the street, she passed a gathering of ponies waiting for a new shop to open. “hmm wonder if that place is opening today.” Pinkie said as she walked toward the shop only to stop in her tracks “the Cakes gave me a job. I'm responsible for getting the ingredients on this list.” she said holding the list up, a sudden gust of wind blew the sheet of paper away. “oh no.” she cried as she charged after the paper blowing in the wind knocking several ponies to the ground. Luckily for Pinkie Pie, her 'Pinkie sense' made it easy to catch the list.
“now back to work.” Pinkie said to her self as the ponies she knocked down stood up. Pinkie hurried on her way then appeared back where she had started and said “I’m sorry I knocked you all down.” she pouted very much sorry for what she did and then almost forgetting about it. The ponies of Ponyville are used to Pinkie's odd behavior so they simply took her apology. The smile she gave them was so infectious that it took hours for the victims to regain full control of their faces.
Pinkie Pie happily trotted through the market street. She smiled and looked around thinking about where to start, “okay now the first thing I need to get is......OH hi Pip.” she said seeing the tiny colt running towards her, he looked terrified. “oh oh are you playing tag I want to play.” the oblivious mare said as the cream and brown colt hid behind her leg mumbling about cooties as gray filly with a straw colored mane rounded the corner.
The party pony shook her head “no no I have to get to work. I'm responsible and a good employ I have to buy.” she looked at the list only to find it to be a fast food wrapper. “oh fiddlesticks.” Pinkie said as she zipped off back the way she came leaving Pipsqueak with out any place to hid from his the filly pursing him.
Luckily for Pinkie her lost list was snagged on a bush. With a revealed sigh the mare snatched up the list and looked at it to make sure that it was the right thing. satisfied that she had what she needed the pink pony started on her way back to the market.
Skipping along the way the hyper active pony noticed a certain white unicorn siting alone at a cafe table sipping from a glass as she looked up at the sky. “oohh is Rarity wonder if sh-.” Pinkie stop herself mid thought as Thunderlane landed at the table making his elegant date smile. The pegasus stallion smiled and said something apparently charming from the white mare's reaction. “best leave them be.” Pinkie said as Rarity kissed Thunderlane's cheek. “plus I got to get to buying stuff.” Pinkie hurried on her way missing the beginning of a long string of kisses between the young couple.
Once again arriving at the market street Pinkie Pie checked her list and nodded “okay the first thing I got to.” she stopped seeing a very bored looking blue pegasus land just down the street “HEY Rainbow Dash.” she called and waved.
the stunt flier turned her magenta eyes light up. “hey Pinkie what you doing here, thought you were working today?”
“i am.” Pinkie replied as she trotted up to her friend. “the Cake's sent me to buy some stuff we need. I thought you were on weather portal today.”
“i am, just taking my lunch break to buy some grocery dang fridge is empty.” Rainbow Dash answered. “its going to be sooooo boooorrrreing. I bucking hate shopping.” the stunt flier insured to censer herself do to the large number of foals around.
“i don’t mind shopping.”
“that’s cause you enjoy just about everything Pinkie.”
“exactly.”
Rainbow Dash blinked as she stared at her friend, then with a shrug she said “any way maybe we could go shopping together, wont being as boring with you around.”
“sounds great.” Pinkie said as the pair trotted off.
Much to Rainbow Dash's relief she was right about shopping with Pinkie Pie. Having her friend with her kept Rainbow from being bored Pinkie's way of bartering was very entertain. Pinkie was just so happy to be joined by a friend that she bought them both some flowers to much on, she had luckily remembered to use her own money rather then the Cake's. But alas all good things must come to an end with in the hour they had bought all they needed and went their separate ways Pinkie Pie promised Rainbow Dash she would go grocery shopping with her again next time.
Pinkie happily trotted back to Sugar Cube Corner. Her saddle bags full of special ingredients. As she rounded the to corner of Mane street she heard the familiar sound of music. Her curiosity perked Pinkie made her way over to the new store she passed earlier. The curious mare gasped as she saw the singers. A pair of pale yellow unicorn stallions with red manes and tails, one had a mustache and both wore blue and white striped shirts. They sang about the merits of some machine. The tricks the pair did with their hats were impressive, but all Pinkie could think about was why were their cutie marks different. they used to have an apple and an apple slice. But now Flim had a cake missing a slice while Flam had the missing slice.
Before Pinkie could really start listening to the remainder of their song it ended. Flam slipped inside while Flim announced to the crowd “Now that you’ve heard of the of the Quickie Bake 5, why don’t you come in and see this wondrous machine.” the crowd cheered. Pinkie smiled and got in line with the rest of the crowd.
Inside of the shop most of the down stairs was an open dinning area, except for a back room behind the counter and the stairs in the middle of the room. Pillars held up the ceiling with dozens of table filling the dining area. the smell of flour, sugar and a odd hint of fresh paint filled the ponies' noses. Flam stood behind the counter on the far wall behind him was a large contraption that puffed and sputtered as it waited to do what ever it was designed to do.
“Now folks this is the Quickie Bake 5.” Flim said gesturing to the sputtering machine. “with but a small burst of magic the Quickie Bake 5 can do in moments what other bakers take hours to do.”
“can't be as good.” Pinkie thought allowing others to make the comments for her.
“well I know what your thinking.” Flim said.
“we're more then thinking.” a Stallion in the back said above the crowd, getting a few laughs.
Flim cleared his throat, he knew when he was loosing a crowd. lucky for him, he and his brother already had a plan. “hey now.” Flim said with his sells pony smile “how about a demonstration?” the crowd murmured about seeing it in action. Flim motioned for the crowd to form a line.
Pinkie some how found herself about 12th in line. She watched as Ditzy Doo the part time mail mare and weather team pegasus stepped up to the counter. Her daughter hid between her forelegs. “now what would you like my lady?” Flam asked with a bow. Ditzy thought for a moment before ordering a banana nut muffin. “good choice a personal favorite of mine. Now everypony watch closely.” the stallion grinned as his horn glowed green “now with just a touch of magic in the right spots.” he tossed his head, and shot several bolts of magic into various places on the machine in a very showy fashion to entertain the crowd. They were quite amused.
The machine sputter and clanked louder for a moment before it started to whistle, then finally a ding rang out and a perfectly cooked muffin slid out of one of the many windows. “see no time flat.” Flim said as he joined his bother behind the counter “and we are experimenting with storing magic so that we could have button controls for an express lane.” he slid the muffin onto a plate and served it too Ditzy. “but for now my brother and I will be happy serve you. By the way we are hiring.” Flim smiled as Ditzy Doo a well know Muffin connoisseur sniffed her muffin. “but that’s for later why don’t you try it.”
Ditzy's crossed eyes crawled over the muffin while her mouth started to water. “it smells so good.” she said before she took a bite the mare looked like she was in heaven as she savored the culinary treat “this is the best muffin I’ve ever had.” she stated after she swallowed.
“that’s what she says ever time she has one of the Cake's muffins.” Pinkie Pie thought to her self as a almost to familiar smell floated to her nose starting gears turning in the earth pony's head. nothing good ever happened when these gears turned. The gears of suspicion.
Ditzy Doo's daughter mumbled something, the mare looked down with a warm smiled “of course Dinky you can have one just tell the nice Unicorn what you want.”
Flim leaned forward too hear the young foals order. “chocolate chip muffin coming right up.” in much the same way both Flim and the machine produced a perfect Chocolate chip muffin. to the delight of the crowd but no more then Dinky Doo. She was actually able to say “thank you” loud enough for everypony to hear her cute voice.
With the crowd hooked both Flim and Flam started to take orders. The machine showed no sign of slowing while pony after pony ordered different kind of pastries and treats from cookies to cakes. Each was somehow too familiar to Pinkie for comfort. They smelt and looked too similar to ones she had made herself. Finally when it was her turn the pink mare stepped up to the unicorns, no scorn in her eyes only the slightest hint of suspicion. “hey you two no hard feelings from last time right?” she asked as she looked over the menu.
“nope.” Flam replied slightly annoyed to be face to face with one of those responsible for the failure of their last endeavor. “business is business and all.”
“sooooo.” Pinkie said batting her eye lashes and smiling just like Rarity had taught her. “one baker to another, want to swap some recipes share some special techniques?”
Flam stared at Pinkie with half lidded eyes and said “no”
“Aw okay I just thought it could be fun.” Pinkie said disappointed, now she was even more suspicious. “well then I’ll have a strawberry cupcake.”
Flam's demeanor changed as soon as she ordered “coming right up.” the unicorn again put on a little show just for Pinkie. The normally easily amused pony was not amused, suspicion still clogged her mind. Seconds later a predominantly pink cupcake popped out of one of the windows and was quickly served to Pinkie. her nose wiggled as the smell reached her was way too familiar.
“thank you.” Pinkie said as she took the cupcake from Flam and trotted over to a nearby table. The earth pony set the plate down and stared at the treat while the other patrons enjoyed their samples. “strawberry marshmallow icing with chunks of strawberries in the batter.” Pinkie glared at the cupcake “just likes the Cake's.” her glare turned to the stallions behind the counter. “just have to make sure.” Pinkie's tongue shot out of her mouth and warped around the cupcake and pulled it back to her mouth like a frog. A few ponies were quite disgusted by Pinkies actions. The element of laughter slowly chewed the cupcake and Flim and Flam's fates were sealed.
Pinkie leaped up onto the table and pointed at the bothers yelling with her mouth full of cupcake, crumbs flying from her mouth with each impossible to understand word.
Flim and Flam blinked as they stared at the pink mare standing on a table in the middle of their restaurant yelling at them with a mouth full of food. “um what?” Flam asked just plain confused.
“please do not stand on table miss.” Flim added.
Pinkie glared and swallowed her mouth full cupcake “i said you two stole the Cake's cook book.”
“What?” Flam said flabbergasted confused and offended.
“Miss would you please calm down and keep your wild accusations to your self. Your causing a scene.” Flim said stepping out from behind the counter.
“I’m not causing a scene your causing a scene.” Pinkie yelled refusing to move. “now I demand that you return the Cake's cook book now.”
“we have never stolen anything in our lives.” Flim said having none of it.
“other then the odd hart of a mare or two.” Flam joked.
“don’t joke I’m serious you stole the Cake's cook book and I want it back.” Pinkie said with a stomp of her hoof trying to be intimidating, her adorably face and cute curves made that nearly impossible.
“miss we are going to have to ask you to leave our establishment.” Flim said standing his ground, Flam joined his brother.
“I’m not going any-” Pinkie's protest was cut short when a green aura surrounded her and lifted her form the table. The brothers sent the mare outside and deposited her less then gently on the ground.
The mare laid there with her rump in the air while Flim stood in the door way saying “young lady if your going to make wild accusations please make them else where.” he turned and addressed the crowd using his charm to smooth over the situation.
Pinkie laid on the ground more properly as she thought 'they defiantly stole the Cake's cook book.' the image of the Cakes baking with out the book started to flow through her mind. The image of Mr Cake frantically throwing random ingredients into a cake pan, unpoped popcorn, dirt, lemon juice, Scootaloo and a hunk of cheese then throwing it in the oven before bursting into tears as he attempted to figure out how to turn on the oven. That was followed by the site of Mrs Cake's perfect recreation of the baked bads Applejack had helped Pinkie make a while back. This time they caused so much more mayhem that even Celestia and Luna would be brought to their knees by the shear badness of the baked bads. Pinkie jumped to hooves saying “I have to stop that.”
“Stop what.” Sweetie Bell asked while Applebloom and Scootaloo stood beside her all staring at the mare with raised eyebrows and concern.
Pinkie smiled as she put her hooves on Scootaloo's shoulders and said “have no fear Scootaloo I wont let you be an ingredient for a cake.”
“thank...........you.” the young Pegasus said with a nervous flutter of her wings.
“now I just need to get my investigator hat. Oohhh or maybe my sneaking suit.” Pinkie said as she turned and headed towards Sugar Cube Corner.
“Pinkie Pie is so random.” Scootaloo said shaking off the feeling of the encounter. Applebloom and Sweetie Bell nodded before the three went about the rest of their day.
* * *
Pinkie barged in through the front door of Sugar Cube Corner. She hurried to the kitchen and dropped off her saddle bags in front of Mr Cakes saying “got everything on the list.” she started to head up the stairs. “now I need to get Gummy and-”
“Pinkie your day off is tomorrow.” Mr cake called stopping Pinkie in her tracks.
“but.”
“sorry Pinkie but we need you to run the register.” he said sternly.
“but Mr cake I need to get your cook book back.”
“Pinkie I’m happy that you want to help us find our cook book but I've been backing scents I were barely old enough to talk and so has Cup Cake. We can go for a day or two with out it.”
“okay mister Cake.” Pinkie said before slowly making her way out front.
The rest of the work day went by mostly normal, although with a severe lack of the normal crowd. Pinkie knew where most of their customers were. Like most ponies, the ponies of Ponyville, have little to no fear of new things or new faces, they embrace both with open hooves. A habit gained from living in a utopian society for generations.
The Cakes decided to close shop early that night. With the lack of a crowd, other their the regulars who had been coming to the store for so many years change was impossible. the Cakes didn’t see any point in staying open any later after the last of them left. Pinkie thought it was because of the lack of their specials for the night thanks to them not having their cookbook. After the normal nightly routine of, feeding the twins washing the counter tops, counting the days profit and eating their own dinner. The last on the list was unusually large that day, the Cakes and Pinkie's dinner were normally the left overs from that days stock.
While Mr and Mrs Cake where putting the twins to bed Pinkie went to her room. “GUMMY.” the pink mare called out to her pet. The little alligator stepped out form under Pinkie's bed and blinked each eye separately, smacked his gums and waged his tail once. “There you are.” Pinkie said trotting over to him, Gummy immediately leaped into the air and latched onto Pinkie's curly locks. The mare giggled as she pulled him off her mane and said “now there’s no time for that now Gummy your mission if you choose to except it is to help me find and retrieve the Cake's cook book.” gummy slowly blinked each eye separately. “i knew I could count on you.” she hugged the alligator. “now we need to get everything ready.”
* * *
several hours later near midnight Pinkie Pie was hoping across roof tops wearing a skin tight black sneaking suit, she had a rope slung over her shoulder. Gummy bounced on her back wearing the same thing. Despite trying to be stealthy Pinkie was making so much noise that more then a few ponies in the homes the mare had ran across were awake, Hooves on shingles make lots of noise no matter what one dose.
Finally Pinkie found the building she was looking for Flim and Flam's Sweet shop. The pink mare giggled as she set Gummy down “now remember Gummy when I lower you down inside you need to use your super sniffer to find the Cake's cook book.” the alligator blinked his eyes together. “good.” Pinkie replied to his perceived answer. The mare quickly tied the rope around the alligator. After about a minute or two of prying the sky light opened and Pinkie Pie began to lower Gummy down on the rope into the back room of the shop.
Once Gummy was on the floor the alligator shook free of the rope. “good.” Pinkie whispered “everything going according to plan.” she watched as gummy slowly looked around the room, twitched his tail, blinked a few times then finally walked around the room then disappeared into the darkness. Pinkie pie waited, when Gummy found the cook book he was suppose to come back and slip back into the loop in the rope and she would pull him back up. The pink mare didn’t see the flaws in her plan. Regardless everything was still going to plan, till she heard a door open. Her hart skipped a beat “oh crap I hope they don’t find Gummy.” she started to nervously chew of her hoof. “i got to save him.” the mare said before she garbed the rope in her mouth and jumped down through the sky light, she unfortunately forgot that she had never tied the other end of the rope to anything. The mare landed loudly on the counter knocking all kinds cooking utensils every where.
Pinkie groaned as she rolled to the floor making ever more noise. The mares pink ears perked up as she heard voices from up stairs. “oh crap oh crap.” Pinkie said as she looked around, she heard hooves on stairs they defiantly knew somepony was there. Thinking quickly Pinkie hid under an overturned box.
Flim and Flam trotted into Kitchen where Pinkie was hiding, they wore blue and white striped night caps and a pajamas. “see Flim there’s nothing here now can we go back to bed.” Flam said through a yawn.
'do they sleep together like a pair of foals.' Pinkie thought with a smile.
“well dear brother, no.” Flim said lifting Pinkies discarded rope for his brother to see “we have an intruder.”
“damn.” Flam cursed as he looked around checking that the cabinet with the designs for their machine was still locked.
“Flam get the police I’ll detain this intruder.” Flim said with a spark of green magic from his horn. Flam hurried out the front door.
Pinkie pie bite her lip so she didn’t make a sound. She was really going to get in trouble.
The cider yellow stallion slowly walked through the kitchen shining the light of his horn into the shadows. While his back was turned Pinkie slowly stood with the box still over her. Looking through a small whole in the box Pinkie kept an eye on Flim as she slowly crept toward the door. However she was too slow, Flim turned and looked at the box as it stopped and fell to the ground in the door way.
“what the hell.” Flim said as he walked over to the box his green aura taking hold of the box and he lifted it up revealing Pinkie. The mare jumped in her normal comical way, before she tried to gallop out the door only to be picked up by Flim's magic.
“hi.” she said with a big smile as she tried to be look innocent “what you doing here?” she asked. The stallion just glared at her.
* * *
Twilight rubbed the sleep from her eyes as she waited for the bailiff to bring her friend out front. The Ponyville police station was small. The floor was clean white tiles and the walls were white and mostly clean while the front desk was a contrasting oak brown. In a town so small and peaceful the small police force of Ponyville didn’t have much to do, other then deal with the few disorderly drunks and the odd domestic dispute.
Pinkie walked out still wearing her sneaking suit in tow of a rather large officer. “oh thank you Twilight your the bestest best friend ever.” the pink mare said while she signed some papers about her court hearing.
“I'm normally bailing Rainbow Dash out of here. I had to bail Applejack out once. But you.” Twilight said realizing she promised not to tell anypony about Applejack's arrest. “what the hay were you doing breaking into somepony's house. I used my entire mouths allowance to bail you out.”
“I'm sorry Twilight.” Pinkie said as she hoped over to her friend. “but the Flim Flam brothers are back and their trying to put Mr and Mrs Cake out of business.”
“what.” Twilight replied sleep forced from her mind as the thought of Cakes out of business ran through her head. “okay, why didn’t you tell the police.” Pinkie just stared at Twilight for a moment, the Lavender mare rolled her eyes “oh yeah.”
“You know Twilight for a smartypants you don’t really think things through some times.” Pinkie Pie said with a smile.
“shut up, come on I have an idea.” Twilight said as she lead the way out of the Police station Pinkie hopped along after her.
the rest of the night and the next day the two mares spent planing and prepping. Twilight did most of the planing while Pinkie just helped. Twilight spent most of the night and morning searching for the right spells and gathering the proper equipment. Late in the next afternoon Twilight was ready to start testing, so she had Pinkie go get an example of the Cake's work. The pink mare brought an old blueberry muffin. That night long after Pinkie had gone home Twilight continued to work, fueled by caffeine and curiosity she learned how to break down the very structure of the muffin. After finding the right spells the different ingredients were like an open book. Figuring out the recipe after that was the easy part.
The next day, one really couldn’t call it morning because it was nearly noon when Twilight got out of bed to prepare for her mission. Spike didn’t mind sleeping in late at all. After a quick bath and triple checking her check list of everything she needed Twilight was ready for her corporate espionage mission. She knew that Pinkie would be working that day so the lavender unicorn was on her own. She left Spike in charge of the library the young dragon didn’t care one way or another. Twilight hadn’t told him what she had been planing for.
Twilight trotted down the street, her saddle bags shook and clanked with all of her supplies. She stiffed a giggle as she started up the steps to her mark. In side the store was bustling with customers. Many of which were watching a song and dance number by the brothers. A good sign, Twilight wouldn’t have to deal with them if she was quick. As she looked around she noticed a picture on the wall by the counter, probably the only picture in existence of Pinkie where she wasn’t smiling. Behind the counter was a blond maned unicorn mare with white coat, she used her magic to activate the machine. orders where brought to her by two other mares about Twilight age. One was a off white Pegasus mare with light brown mane and tail, she was busy with customers on the other side of the room from Twilight.
The other waitress was cream colored mare with a short dark brown mane and tail like the others she wore a blue and while striped shirt with a small blue skirt. She smiled at Twilight Sparkle and said “hello I'm Mindy Who I'll be your server today.”
“thank you I’ll have a blue berry Muffin.” Twilight said barely holding in her excitement.
Mindy Who blinked “okay would you like a table?”
“oh yes please.” Twilight said with a nervous giggle. Mindy Who lead Twilight to a table, Twilight's luck held her small table was as far from Flim and Flam's show as it could be. Mindy Who bowed and told Twilight that she would be right back. Twilight sat at her small table her excitement mounting as her horn glowed and all the beakers books and tools she would need floated out of her saddle bags. She set every thing in its proper place.
“here’s your muf-fin” Mindy who said confused by all the stuff on Twilight's table
“thank you.” Twilight said her eyes sparkled with excitement. She smiled as she took the muffin and set it in front of her so she could do what she came here to do. She cut off a slice of the muffin and crumpled it up into a beaker then added a few chemicals and the reactions began. Something was wrong though, a sound that didn’t happen last night, a voice. Twilight looked up at to see Mindy Who staring at her even more confused then before.
“Um what are you doing?” the waitress asked.
Twilight stared at her for a few seconds, the excited mare had forgotten the first rule of espionage. Get out quickly. “um nothing.” Twilight answered nervous.
“um I think I'm going to have tell the bosses.” Mindy said quickly turning and hurrying to Flim and Flam.
“NO NO WAIT.” Twilight called but it was too late. The waitress was telling the brothers. “Crap crap crap.” Twilight said as she started to clean up her supplies, the unicorn was kicking her self for not getting the muffin to go. her book glowed green and was pulled off the table Twilight slammed her hoof on the table trying to catch it “oh no.” she looked up to see Flim and Flam looking at the book nether of them happy, Mindy Who and the Pegasus waitress stood behind them watching as were over half of the customers in the shop.
“what do we have here.” Flim said knowingly.
“um nothing just doing some research.” Twilight replied blushing “could I have the book back?”
“unfortunately no.” Flam answered.
“why.”
“well the night before last one of your little gang broke into our store after making some wild accusation about my brother and I stealing some cook book of some two bit bakers.” Flam said. Twilight was dumb struck by the two bit baker remark.
“and by the looks of it she convinced you of it as well.” Flim said closing the book “now we must ask you to leave.” he nodded for the Pegasus mare to take a picture. The freckle face waitress did so fairly happily. Twilight blinked away the stares in her eyes as her saddle bags were removed. “your are also bared from dining here.”
“your items will be turned over to police.” Flam chimed in.
“but hey those belong to the library.” Twilight replied.
“please miss think more then your friend did and don’t cause a scene.” Flim ordered his horn glowed.
“yes sirs.” Twilight said with her head and ears low as she slowly trotted out. She was thoroughly embarrassed and she could feel everypony's eyes on her as she left.
* * *
“And that’s when they kicked me out.” Twilight finished telling Pinkie what happened in the fairly empty dining room of Sugar Cube Corner.
Pinkie put her hoof to Twilight's forehead and then felt her own. “are you okay Twilight you normally think a lot more then this.”
Twilight pushed Pinkie's hoof away saying “hey any pony can have an off day.”
“yeah.” Pinkie said looking around the empty room “what are we going to do.”
“i don’t know.” Twilight replied as Spike barged in the door.
“Twilight what did you do?” he asked panting.
“nothing.” the lavender mare replied with shifting eyes.
“well that nothing had the police come to the library with this.” he held up a note for Twilight to read.
“what is it Twilight?” Pinkie asked trying to read the paper over her friends shoulder.
“well I can't get my stuff back till next week.” Twilight said “after a court hearing.....great.” she deadpanned.
“what's going on?” Spike asked only to be ignored.
“Twilight there’s got to be another way.” Pinkie said with a sad whine “the Cake's can't go out of business, what about the twins and Gummy.”
Twilight smiled “well maybe we should just ask the brothers for the cook book back.” a plan had formed in her head.
“um Twilight what are you talking about.” Spike asked again being ignored.
Pinkie put a hoof too the unicorns head again “i tried that, don’t you remember.”
Twilight rolled her eyes and pushed away the pink hoof “not us. Whose the most persuasive pony you know. one that no stallion could say no too.”
Pinkie blinked “Rarity?”
“yep.”
“what about Rarity?” Spike asked angry.
“lets go Pinkie.” Twilight said galloping out the door. Spike looked around confused “come on Spike I’ll explain along the way.”
“your damn right you will.” Spike said hurrying after her.
“SPIKE!” Twilight yelled.
* * *
Rarity stared at Pinkie her expression somewhere between confused and unamused, the pink mare was talking so fast that none of her audience could understand what she was saying. “okay. darling what did she just say?” Rarity asked Twilight.
Twilight turned around from where she had Spike standing with his nose in a corner. “oh the Flim Flam brothers are back, Pinkie and I think they stole the Cake's cook book.”
“how dreadful.” Rarity gasped “have you told the proper authorities.”
“Pinkie did and you know how much they listen to her.” Twilight said while Pinkie nodded.
“true true.” Rarity said nodding “any who what dose that have to do with me.”
“well.” Twilight said with a slight smile. “we need you to.....well.” the book worm didn’t really know the words to use luckily Rarity caught her drift sadly the lady didn’t seem to like it.
“you want me to bat my eye lashes and shake my flank for those two scoundrels like some street walker to-”
“they want you to do what for who?” Thunderlane said as he walked in the front door.
“Oh ThunderLane dear they want me to seduce two horrible stallions to get the Cake's cook book back.”
“with out it the Cake's will go out of business.” Pinkie said on the verge of a panic attack.
“its not like were asking her to sleep with them.” Twilight added very disappointed in her friend.
“um.” Thunderlane looked from Rarity's pleading eyes to the other pleading mares “it sounds important maybe you should think about it little more.” he wasn’t sure how he felt about his marefriend shaking what her mother gave her for some other stallions, especially if they were of a less savory nature.
“there is no need to think about it more.” Rarity said holding her head high “of course I shall do it.” even Spike turned around to stare at Rarity dumbfounded. The white unicorn rolled her eyes and trotted over to her vanity “you all know I can't help but play up my dislike for something and it was fun to see the looks on all of your faces.” she giggled as she applied some additional blush and eye liner.
“besides.” Rarity said turning to look at her friends with all seriousness. “if its something that you girls truly need me to do I will do anything for you. Even dye my coat black with a hot pink mane and tail.” while the others imagined that image Rarity continued to apply her make up.
“um baby.” Thunderlane asked. “would you do something like that for me?”
“but of course Darling.” Rarity answered with a smile. Her lips now had a touch of red lipstick. “and as a reword for being such a good boy I give you permission to ogle me while I leave.” she giggled and kissed his cheek before turning around and walking to the door putting much more sway into her hips then necessary.
Thunderlane watch Rarity’s flank sway form side to side. Twilight rolled her eyes while Pinkie giggled. As Rarity opened the door the pegasus stallion snapped out of his trance and asked “um babe what about lunch?”
“oh yes I almost forgot.” Rarity said turning to look at her coltfriend then Pinkie and Twilight “could you girls take Thunderlane to Sugar Cube Corner and get him lunch, you can put everything on my tab. I'll meet you all there with the Cake's cook book.” she giggled and trotted out the door. Thunderlane, Twilight and Pinkie trotted out the door. Leaving Spike alone in the corner.
* * *
Twilight sat with Thunderlane chatting about nothing in particular. Pinkie trotted around the dining room of Sugar Cube Corner looking more then a little worried, Although when one of the few customers needed her the pink mare quickly became her cheerful helpful self.
Rarity walked in the front door less then composed, she looked around the room her eyes gleaming with anger. The unicorn trotted over to Twilight and Thunderlane, Pinkie quickly joined them. “how did it go?” Twilight asked although she could guess the answer.
“That little brown maned slut with the easy access tail. Oh their probably pressing her face into the head bored as we speck.” she almost growled though clinched teeth.
“what?” Pinkie asked confused.
“hope she looses a tooth.”
“babe.” Thunderlane said having never seeing his marefriend this angry, he stood and almost timidly nuzzled her. The white mare softened and cleared her throat. She smiled nervously as she tried to regain her composure.
“i guess it didn’t go well.” Twilight said disappointed.
“oh they were putty in my hooves Twilight.” Rarity said in her normal over dramatic manner “they were about to show me everything. The secrets of the machine and even their recipes.”
“so what happened?” Twilight asked.
“well.” Rarity said with a heavy sigh “they were getting a little too forward with their hooves, but it was for the Cake's so I let their touches linger.” Thunderlane looked a little angry that his marefriend had been groped. “they tried to herd me up to the bedroom but I talked them into taking me into the back first, although looking back I guess they thought I wanted to unladylike things back there.” Thunderlane was now clearly angry. “that’s when that little slut, pardon my language please, she reminded Flim and Flam that I was a friend of Pinkie Pie. They saw through my ploys, and I refuse to go as far as she did to convince them.”
“okay what makes you think she was sleeping with them after you left.” Twilight asked.
“a lady dose repeat such things darling.” Rarity replied “nor dose she partake in the acts of such depravity with multiple partners and their employe.”
“oh.” Twilight blushed realizing what Rarity meant. Pinkie looked confused but she in fact knew all too well what her white friend said it just took her a few moments to process the way she said it.
Thunderlane nuzzled Rarity saying “nor should a lady be force to do anything of that sort with her chosen partner.”
Rarity smiled and kissed Thunderlane's cheek “this is true love. I like to take my time and let the anticipation-”
“well be having none of that talk here.” Twilight interrupted pushing the couple apart just as the pegasus's wings extended to their full stiff span. “anyway we have to brain storm.”
“i would love to stay and help but I have to get back to work.” Thunderlane said realizing what time it was. “but give me a call if you girls decided to just pound those two into the dirt.” he closed his wings and stood up.
Rarity rolled her eyes and said “love do come by after work.” she gave him a long kiss that he happily returned. “plan on spending the night.”
“really.” the stallion raising an eye brow as his wings popped open again with an audible 'pomf'. “i guess mom and Rumble can go a night or two with out me at home.” he smiled and kissed Rarity before he trotted out side and flew away.
“Thunderlane still lives with his mother?” Twilight asked with a raised eye brow.
“yes.” Rarity replied tilting her head up “don’t look at me like some cradle robber. Hes older then you darling. His father left them not long after Rumble was born so Thunderlane's been the stallion of the house for most of his life.”
“like Applejack's family.” Pinkie stated.
“yes but not as tragically.” Rarity agreed.
“any way lets brain storm.” Twilight said a note pad floating by her side.
“yes lets.” Rarity said in a chipper tone.
“YAY!” Pinkie yelled jumping on the table.
“Pinkie get off the table.” Mister Cake called sternly from the behind the display case “and we don’t mind if you talk to your friends as long as you take care of customers.”
Pinkie Pie hoped down from the table and said “yes mister cake.”
“okay so we've tried persuasion and stealing the recipe from under their noses lets try sneaking.” Twilight explained.
“hey I tried to sneak in.”
“no I’m mean some even sneakier then you, Pinkie.” Twilight said with a grin.
* * *
Fluttershy nervously sat at a table early in the morning. Even at this hour the Flim and Flam Sweet shop was full. Fluttershy's wings fluttered nervously each time somepony walked by. The young Pegasus waitress named Shutter Bug approach and asked in a cheerful but quiet voice “miss are you ready to order yet?” Fluttershy epped and nearly jumped out of her skin. The waitress lowered her large ears and bowed her head “I’m sorry miss did I startle you.
“oh.” Fluttershy whispered “I’m sorry I’m just waiting for a-” she glanced at her hoof to try and read the smudged ink. “a bind date.”
“a what?”
“blind date.” Fluttershy said quickly her wings popped open. She blinked and closed her wings “oh sorry I’m just nevus.” she recoiled behind her mane.
“its okay.” the waitress said her voice cracked with glee for some unknown reason “can I get you a drink to hold you over till your date arrives.”
“oh um some orange juice please.” Fluttershy said just above a whisper hoping the juice would help her fell better.
“coming right up.” the waitress replied before hurrying away.
“shes a nice filly.” Fluttershy said as the young mare left she felt bad for tricking her. The yellow Pegasus looked around and took a deep breath “okay Angel the coast is clear.” the white bunny's head popped out of his owners tail. His ears were held down by a bandana with black paint on his cheeks. He jumped out of the hair of her tail and ran under the next table. “be careful.” she whisper to him.
Angel jumped from table leg to table leg as he made his way across the room. He looked back to check on Fluttershy, the Pegasus waitress had returned and she seem to have recognized his owner form her modeling days and wanted her autograph. Angel smirked he couldn’t help it, he loved his owner like any pet but sometimes the timid mare was just entertaining when she got stuck in a situation like this.
Back to the task at hand Angel turned and wait for the other waitress to push a cart by, the bunny jumped on to the bottom of the cart with ease. Angel sat down and waited for the food cart to be pushed to the back of the store. Once in the back the bunny poked his nose out to check if the mare was gone. She wasn’t, with his hart pounding he ducked back behind a tea pot. Mindy Who hummed as she removed the dirty dishes from the cart. One by one the humming mare used her magic to pluck the dishes off the bottom shelf. Angel jumped to the floor as the Mindy Who picked up the pot. The bunny watched her go about her work, she had this familiar sway in her hips that the bunny just couldn’t place. Finally she finished her work and trotted back out to the front.
Angel slipped out from under the cart. He knew his mission, find the Cake's cook book. Twilight Sparkle had repeated it like a dozen times. That one annoyed Angel more then when Fluttershy didn’t get him what he wanted. The bunny looked around till he saw something promising, a bookshelf on the near by workbench. The bunny couldn’t read the books from where he was but he was sure that was a good place to start. However getting to the books was the hard part.
The rabbit ran over to the cabinet planing on shimmying up the door. As Angel tried to pushed the door open till something moved with in the cabinet. Angel jumped back as what ever it was hit the door. Unlike most bunnies Angel wasn’t afraid, he put up his paws ready for a fight thinking it was a rat or some other pest. a large metal gear rolled out pushing the door open. Angel squeaked as the metal gear rolled toward him he dove out of the way. The rabbit looked over his shoulder and to his horror the metal gear turned and rolled toward him again. He tried to roll to the side but no matter which way the bunny tried to get out of the way the gear seem to follow him. Although Angel had a plan if the gear wanted a chase he'd give it one. He turned tail and ran, the metal gear fallowed. Angel hurried to the corner of the room he turned around panting as the metal gear rolled closer and closer. At the last possible second the bunny jumped to the side. The metal gear hit the wall with a loud clank, then fell to the floor with even louder clank.
Angel took a deep breath to steady his nerves. He was ready to continue his mission. He hoped over to the now open cabinet door, but before he could start his climb a scream shook the bunny's bones. He turned to see the thin blond unicorn jump up on the wobbly food cart screaming “RAT!”
'how dare she call me a rat.' Angel thought to himself, looked around he need a place to escape too. he was about to run for the cover of some boxes when Flim and Flam came around the corner.
“there it is.” Flam said.
“indeed brother.” Flim said his horn lifting a hammer.
“get it out.” the scared mare said “i hate rats.”
“hes not a rat.” Fluttershy said zipping around the corner and scooping up her pet in her forelegs “he's a bunny rabbit.”
“its still a vermin and should not be in our store.” Flam said.
“w-why a-are you t-touching the r-at.” the white mare screeched, Flim looked at her very annoyed.
“hes a rabbit, Oryctolagus cuniculus.” Fluttershy said in defense of her pet.
“it still doesn’t mean that he can be here.” Flim said he looked closer. “why is he dressed like that.”
“oh um.” Fluttershy was at a loss for words.
“um boss.” Mindy Who said leaning around the corner with a certain twinkle in her eyes. “that’s one of Pinkie's friends.”
“oh she is, is she.” Flim said now ignoring the shaking mare on the food cart. “SHUTER BUG!” he called to the main room.
The Pegasus waitress hurried in with her camera all too eager take Fluttershy's picture. The photo of a startled Fluttershy and an angry Angel soon joined photos of Pinkie Pie, Twilight Sparkle, Rarity and strangely Rainbow Dash on the wall.
* * *
“I’m sorry girls.” Fluttershy said with her head down.
“its okay Fluttershy.” Twilight replied “both you and Angel did your best.”
“yeah.” Pinkie said hopping around the cafe table where the group had waited for Fluttershy across street from Flim and Flam's Sweet Shop “its those mean old brothers fault.”
Rarity sipped some of the tea she brought for the wait “and that little slut.”
“what little slut did what?” Rainbow dash said as she fluttered down to join the group. The stunt flier was already up to speed on what was going on, and she had apparently already tried to do something about it. “yeah when Thunderlane told me, I had to give the brothers a piece of my mind and well.”
“you got banned form their store too?” Twilight finished for her.
“yep.” Rainbow Dash said with a proud smile. Her friends just stared at her.
“any way girls we have to come up with a plan.” Pinkie Pie said her worry showing on her face.
“yes lets.” Rarity chimed in.
“well maybe we could get the squirts to sneak in the back door.” Rainbow Dash suggested.
“i really don’t want to be arrested for contributing to the delinquency of a minor.” Twilight Sparkle replied with a roll of her eyes.
“whats that mean?” Pinkie Pie asked.
“jail time.” Rarity answered with out looking up from her tea.
“oh.” Pinkie Pie sighed, Rainbow Dash mean while contemplated what a arrest of that sort would do to her chances to get into the Wonderbolts “hey is that Applejack.” Pinkie said pointing over her friends.
The ponies looked the way she pointed. Indeed it was Applejack pulling a cart of apples to Flim and Flam's shop. She stopped at one of the windows and waved to some one inside. Seconds later Flim poked his head out the door, he must have told Applejack to go around back because after a nod she pulled her cart around and into the alley.
“what is she doing?” Rarity asked.
“it looks like-” Twilight was cut off by a pink hoof to her mouth.
“i don’t want to hear it.” Pinkie said almost angrily.
“lets go see.” Rainbow Dash said as she flew over to the corner of the alley way. By the time the others caught up, Applejack was watching Flim counting out bits while Flam was unloading the cart.
Soon the deal was done and Applejack hitched herself to the cart. She skillfully turned the cart around to leave, Flim watched her till he was pulled inside inside by a cream colored hoof.
Applejack trotted out of the alley way and came face to face with her friends. “Howdy Girls.” she said with a smile but it soon disappeared by the looks on their faces, especially Pinkie's there was no trace of a smile on her face. “Something wrong?”
“YEAH SOMETHINGS WROUNG.” Pinkie Pie yelled.
“your selling apples to the Flim Flam brothers.” Twilight said as Fluttershy of all ponies tried to calm Pinkie down.
“didn’t those pricks try to like kick you out of town and steal your farm?” Rainbow Dash asked with a snap of her tail.
“well girls I hate the say it but that’s really just business.” Applejack said matter-o-factly “and well now they aren't competition with Sweet Apple Acres. Besides girls they paid us almost double what we charge because of last time, I think.”
Pinkie Pie almost exploded as she tried to explain what was going on, however anger wasn’t something that Pinkie's mind was use too making her words more or less just animal noises. Everypony looked at Fluttershy. The yellow mare epped and said “I’m sorry but I don’t want to use some of the language shes using.”
“Pinkie dare calm down.” Rarity said patting the pink mare on the back “your loosing your composure.” Pinkie sigh and took a deep breath.
Applejack just looked at her friends confused but she knew something was wrong. “okay whats ta problem?” after a much more controlled explanation Applejack looked very angry about her new customers. “well those no good varmints. ah'm going to go give them a piece of ma mind. And maybe ma hooves too.”
“yay.” Pinkie Pie said “just don’t hurt them, we need the cook book back.”
Applejack trotted inside the store she looked around she couldn’t find Flim only Flam and two of the waitress. Applejack trotted over to the stallion and said “Flam ah need to have a word with you and your brother.”
Flam looked at her with a disarming smile “okay.” he hoped it wasn’t something that would hamper their new business deal. “but my brother is a little predisposed right now.” he looked up at the ceiling.
“well un-dispose of him, ah need to talk ta both of y’all.” Applejack said calmly but her southern drawl added a threatening undertone.
Flam didn’t look happy about having to interrupt what was going on upstairs. “I’ll go get him.” the stallion walked up stairs slowly. A few minutes later the Flim and Flam trotted down the stairs. Flim's hair was fairy messy and he was very sweaty.
“yes miss Applejack is there a problem.” Flim said catching his breath.
“in fact there is.” Applejack said with a sigh, she really didn’t know how to say what she meant. After another sigh and a hurry up look from Flim the mare continued “look boys its been brought to ma attention that you may have wronged some other business partners of mine.” Applejack blinked and tilted her head to the side. “although my source is prone to jumping to odd ball conclusions.” the earth pony mare shook her head and continued “but regardless Sweet Apple Acres cant be seen doing business with any pony that could possibly be involved in less then legal actives.” it was times like this that Applejack was glad to have spent those months with her Aunt and Uncle Orange.
Flim and Flam just stared at the mare for a moment before Flam asked “would your source happen to be your friend Pinkie Pie?” Applejack's face was all the answer he need, the brothers looked at each other and nodded.
“I’m sorry that we wont be able to continue doing business with ether other.” Flim added while his brother got Shutterbug to get her camera “i also hope you understand that we cant risk your overly excitable friend some how convincing you to doing some sort of half thought out ploy like the others of your group.” a flash from a camera distracted Applejack for a moment “now we must ask you too leave.”
Applejack was angry but she turned and left with out a scene, she trotted angrily up to her friends and said “Okay their defiantly hiding something.”
“well duh the Cake's cook book.” Pinkie replied her mane and tail staring to loose its curl “now what are we going to do?”
“if they stole somethin why having you told the police?” Applejack asked.
“i did.”
“and they of course didn’t believe her.” Twilight added.
“what about ta rest of y’all.” Applejack asked.
“well no I didn’t.” Rarity answered looking at her friends. The others shook their heads.
“so lets go if all of us tell em that’s probably enough to git them off their flanks and checking out those two varmints.” Applejack said turning to lead the way.
* * *
“Sorry girls.” Deputy Services said much to their disappointment “but there’s just not enough evidences to get a warrant to search their work place.”
“but but the Cake's, their cooks book.” Pinkie said on the verge of tears her mane and tail nearly completely straight.
The police pony had to look away or his hart would melt. He rubbed his white face with his black hoof “look girls, y’all should really just leave the Flim Flam brothers be.” the mares looked at each other. “any way y’all are already in enough trouble as is.” Deputy Service said looking at Pinkie Pie again then moved to Twilight and Rainbow Dash “and I really don’t want to see that.”
“your probably right.” Twilight said sadly. “come on girls we should just go.” the six mares slowly walked out of the police station.
As they made their way back to Sugar Cube Corner Pinkie sniffled “girls there has to be something more we can do.”
Rarity sighed “Darling you heard Deputy Service, your already in hot water so to speak.” Pinkie looked at Rarity with her huge puppy dog eyes. “please Darling don’t give me those eyes. none of us want the Cake's to loose their shop or you to loose your job and home but none of us can afford to be arrested.”
“yeah pinks we cant break the law.” Rainbow Dash added although she was forming a plan for that night.
“what if we get somepony who can break the law, somepony who is above the police.” Twilight suggested to the group. “somepony who is the law no matter where they go.”
“Twilight your not going to bother the Princesses with this are ya” Applejack asked, although she was starting to wonder if it was a good idea.
“well of course not but we do know a pony that has that kind of power.” Twilight explained.
“who?” the ponies asked together.
“Winchester.”
“oh no.” Fluttershy said under her breath.
“hasn’t he been out of town for a week?” Applejack asked.
“oh yeah.” Twilight Sparkle said with a sigh.
“i saw him earlier today.” Rainbow Dash said jumping into the air.
“he's probably really tried from his trip so we shouldn’t bother him.” Fluttershy said only to be ignored by her friends as they ran off to get the help of the Knight. “Oh dear.” the nervous mare said before hurrying to catch up.”
* * *
Winchester's home was mostly dark. the only light came from the window above the stallion's work desk in the study the other windows were shut tight. Winchester sat with his head laying on the desk fast asleep on top of some report he had been writing. Next to him was a large half full bottle of a amber liquid with a picture of a red pony standing with a hoof on a barrel.
Winchester's snores suddenly stopped as he became aware he was being watched. He lifted his head and slowly turned to look at the five sets of eyes staring at him, Fluttershy was hiding her face behind her mane. “why are you in my house, watching me sleep.” he asked as a shiver ran down his spine.
“aw quite, you do it Twilight all the time.” Applejack said with a smile.
“when I do enter the library after hours it is to use the books and nothing more.” Winchester said as he examined some discolored water at the bottle of a small crystal cup, dissatisfied with it he sent the cup floating to his sink. Twilight Sparkle was about to argue with his point but Winchester cut her off “the only time I entered Twilight's bedroom is when I needed a book she had on her night stand, That One Time.” Twilight rolled her eyes she had already made the knight regret doing it.
“enough of that.” Pinkie Pie almost yelled in the stallions ear. “weneedyourhelptheFlimFla-” Winchester yelped and dropped the crystal glass in the other room and whipped his glowing horn to the side pulling a zipper across Pinkie's mouth.
“how did you do that.” Rarity asked while the others stared in disbelief.
“its Pinkie Pie.” Winchester said while the pink mare sat down to the try and pull the zipper open. The stallion sighed as he turned around, and leaned his back on his work desk. He crossed his legs in the proper manner as he hooked his hoof through the loop in the bottle on his desk. once comfortable he throw back his head and drank several large swallows of the warm liqueur. After another sigh the stallion smiled at the mares with half open eyes and said “now, what do the bearer of harmony want of this knight?” he gestured with his hoof.
“well.” Twilight began. “have you heard of the Flim Flam Brothers?”
“Pair of con-ponies.” Winchester answered closing his eyes to think. “known to use song and dance routines to lull the masses into buying their goods which are normally the products of some sort of mechanical device.” Winchester looked at the girls again “yes I know of them but they have yet to do anything to draw Celestia's wrath.”
“oh.” Twilight Sparkle replied “good.”
“what of them?” the stallion asked.
“their here in town.” Rainbow Dash said inpatients getting the best of her.
“yes and Pinkie suspects they might have stolen the Cake's Cook Book in an attempt to get rid of them as competition.” Rarity explained.
“even if they didn’t their still acting rather suspicious.” Applejack added, “thinking that I might go snooping around their place.”
“the cops wont help us because they say there’s not enough evidences get a warrant or something like that.” Rainbow Dash explained.
“so we want you to go investigate the Flim Flam Brothers and their shop?” Twilight finally asked, the mares hopes disappeared as they looked at Winchester's face.
Rarity chimed in hoping to help “Um We'll buy you dinner for helping.”
Winchester almost glared at them all before he took a swallow from his bottle, after a revealed sigh the knight looked at them again. “let me get this straight. You want me a pony who has saved Equestria si-.” he paused and looked back at the papers “seven times now, five of which were at the behest of Celestia herself. However I do admit the foes you have stopped I would be no match for. That said I still routinely slay the monsters that haunt the dreams of foals and adults alike. Not to mention that I have lost count of the lives I have taken in defense of those who can not fight.” the stallion sounded greatly insulted. “and you all ask me to use the authority and rights that our princess intrust to me to investigate the possible wrong doing of a pair of BAKERS that may or may Not be using some sort of unfair business practices to put their competition of out business, said competition dose employ and house one of the bearers of harmony.”
Winchester took one last swallow from his bottle before recorking it “you ask the right pony for help.” he smiled at them all before he set the bottle behind him.
“thank you.” Pinkie said after the zipper disappeared her hair regained its curl instantly with a loud pop.
“what was all that about?” Rarity asked glaring at the stallion as he walked over to his armor.
“that’s just what he dose when somepony asks him to do something.” Twilight explained with a roll of her eyes.” When I asked him to let me use him as the test subject for a spell he gave me a speech about how the knights embody the laws of Equestria and some stuff like that.”
“oh.” Rarity replied, although she felt that this was more then just some odd quirk of the knight.
“why are you putting all that stuff on.” Rainbow dash asked as Winchester shook himself to insure that his armor was comfortable. “you expecting a fight?”
“nope.” the stallion said as he tightened his sword belt over his chest “but if I’m on official business for the court I must look the part.” his Canterlot accent as thick as Applejack's southern drawl.
“okay.” Rainbow Dash replied looking to her orange friend, Applejack just shrugged in reply.
“can we go now.” Fluttershy finally blurted out.
* * *
Flim and Flam made their way through their store making sure that their customers were happy. Flam noticed a new group of customers enter the dinning room, he turned to greet them but stopped and glare at them. After getting his brothers attention the pair approached Pinkie Pie and her friends saying “ladies we thought we told you that you were not welcome here.” Flam said trying to be polite.
“now we must ask you to leave.” Flim added “and please don’t make a scene.”
“oh we'll make a scene all right.” Pinkie said with a smile.
“please don’t.” Flam pleaded “we would prefer to not call the police.”
“now why would you have to call the police.” Winchester said joining the mares.
“Who are you.” Flam said looking at the armored stallion with suspicion and fear.
“he's a knight.” Rainbow Dash said reading from a piece of paper Winchester was holding up for her with his magic. “the will of our princess given form, the law of our land in-in car nat, incarnate.”
“thank you.” Winchester said with a smile.
“any time.” Rainbow Dash replied with a false smile, “dork,” the mare added under her breath.
“oh so your a knight.” Flim said with a whistle.
Flam nodded and asked “so a cop?”
“when the need arises sometimes.” Winchester replied.
“well we have restraining order on these mares so could you please remove them.” Flim explained, Winchester raised an eye brow.
“he's not going to do that. he's-”
“let me see the papers.” Winchester cut Twilight off.
“yes of course.” Flim said before ordering Mindy Who to get the papers.
“what are you doing?” Twilight Sparkle asked.
Mindy Who hurried back with the restraining order for Winchester to look over. “my job.” The stallion said speed reading through each of the papers. “you girls have been harassing them.” Winchester looked at them with a raised eye brow. “to the point that you girls are not to come with in 30 paces of their shop.” he paused and looked at one of the papers again “Rainbow Dash isn’t suppose to come within 30 paces of the brothers or any of their employes.” the knight said looking at them. “you girls have to leave.”
“what the hey are ya doing, ya suppose to be on our side.” Applejack said stomping her hoof.
“i may be able to bend the rules as I see fit, but I must uphold the law regardless.” Winchester said looking at them knowing what he said made little sense “i well search this establishment from top to bottom. every record, design and investment will be shown to me.” he looked at Flim and Flam with eyes that chilled their harts “you will hid nothing form me, there is no choice in the matter. Is that clear.” Flim and Flam nodded sweat running down their necks.
Winchester back to his friends his eyes soft once again “wait for me at Sugar Cub Corner.” the Twilight and her friends looked at each other then turned to leave. They were all worried or angry or some combination of the two but they had to abide by the law and trust in the knight. Mindy Who and Shutterbug meanwhile looked at their bosses afraid as the Flim Flam Brother lead the knight to the back room.
* * *
the girls sat around a table at sugar cube corner. Pinkie Pie giggled as she played with Pound and Pumpkin cake while she and her friends talked. They all were still worried about what Winchester was going to do, but as Twilight had put it if Celestia trusted him they should trust him as well.
Mrs cake trotted down the stairs carrying a book. Pinkie Pie watched as Pound Cake flew over to his mother. Noticing the book Pinkie asked “what you got there Mrs Cake?”
“ooh its my Cook Book.” The blue mare answered to the confused the younger mares “it seems that twins took a liking to it and hid it in their toy box.”
“so it wasn’t stolen by the Flim Flam Brothers.” Twilight said a chill running down her spin.
“So that’s why Gummy was scratching at their toy box.” Pinkie said with wide eyes while Pumpkin ran over to her mother as well. Pinkies friends all stared at her they now realized that the Flim Flam Brothers had in fact done nothing wrong. Other then maybe being jerks. however before they could discuss what they had all just learned Pinkie notice Winchester enter the room. “hey Winchester's back.” although she didn’t look it Pinkie was as worried as her friends.
Winchester quickly spotted the girls and trotted over to them “the deed is done.” he said with a smile.
“WHAT DID YOU DO?” Twilight asked panic prevalent in her voice.
Winchester blinked confused “um my job.”
“you didn’t lynch them did you?” Applejack asked.
“of course not.” Winchester replied much to the relief of the mares till the stallion sat down at the table and add “i just closed their store and ran them out of town.”
“But Flim and Flam didn't steal the Cake's Cook Book.” Pinkie Pie yelled.
“yeah I know.” Winchester replied.
“then why'd you close their store.” Rainbow Dash asked with a raised eye brow.
“well.” Winchester explained. “it most definitely wasn’t because they stole any thing and it wasn’t because their machine hadn't passed any heath inspections. I didn’t care about the numerous noise or pollution violations. It wasn’t because of zoning violations ether.” the stallion said with a smile.
“wow.” Pinkie pie said astonished “you know a lot of laws and things.”
Winchester looked at the pink mare, “well I have to-”
“will you tell us the reason why you ran them out of town now please,” Rarity said on the verge of loosing her composure.
“oh its cause they were a threat to Pinkie's employment.” Winchester answered, the mares all just stared at him. The stallion sighed “i probably shouldn’t tell you buuuuutt you girls are nobles of the highest importance.” the mares were still confused and after another sigh he continued “you girls out rank Princess Cadance.”
“wait you mean we're basically princesses?” Rarity asked her eyes sparkling. Fluttershy however was worried that her life may end up like it did when she was a model.
“no.” Winchester answered disappointing Rarity. “but you girls wield a weapon that could slay Celestia herself.” there was a hint of jealousy in his voice “you are the bearers of the elements of harmony the greatest weapon at our countries disposal.”
“cool.” Rainbow Dash said having never thought about the Elements that way.
Winchester thought about explaining how their bond was the source of the elements power and that anything that threaten to upset their statues quo was a threat to national security, which meant that its the job of the knights to deal with, but he decided to change the subject “Now.” he said clapping his hooves together “whose buying me dinner first.”