• Published 23rd Jul 2013
  • 514 Views, 22 Comments

A Cold Life - gracial



A blank-flank mare searches for her cutie mark. In doing so, she makes many friends (and a few enemies) along the way. Though, most importantly, she will learn the magic of friendship.

  • ...
1
 22
 514

A Friend

Snowi approached the library, content to find something that would help. She opened the door to find it had but a single purple unicorn in it. “Oh, hello,” the unicorn said, “my name is Twilight Sparkle. I'm the librarian, do you need something?”

Snowi thought for a second. “Twilight Sparkle, I think I've heard that name before, but I can't put my hoof on it.” She looked a Twilight for a few seconds, trying to think of where she had heard of her.

“Perhaps you have heard of the Elements of Harmony, we're well known considering we've saved Equastria about three times now. And we've saved Ponyville at least a dozen times now, so I'm sure you've heard about something we've done.”

Snowi though about this for a moment, “No, none of that...” She suddenly realized, “Aha! You're that crazy mare who caused a bunch of ponies to fall in love with a doll!”

Twilight cringed, “So ponies still remember that, huh?” She rubbed the back of her head in embarrassment, “I really thought saving them from utter destruction several times would make them forget about that...”

“Oh, um” Snowi said, “actually, where I'm from I tend not to get up-to-date news, but I'm sure everypony else has completely forgotten about it.”

“Oh,” Twilight said, “that's reassuring, thanks. Hey, I never get your name.” Twilight knew that she should get the mare's name so she can tell Pinkie about her later.

“My name is Snowi Lendant, nice to meet you.”

Twilight smiled, “Well Ms. Lendant, is there anything you need?”

Snowi looked around, searching for something to help her. “Um,” Snowi said, “well do you have anything on finding a cutie mark?” she asked nervously.

“Oh my, no” Twilight said, “We have a documentary on cutie marks, and a few foal's books about what they are, if that's what you're looking for. However, no pony has written anything on how to find them. A few of the foal's books have encouragement about finding it, saying that it will come eventually, Other than that, it's up to the pony the find it his or herself.

Snowi hung her head in disappointment. 'Dang it” she thought to herself, 'I guess I'll just have to keep looking.'

“Thanks anyways Twilight” she said, “You wouldn't happen to know of anypony who could help with finding a cutie mark do you?”

Twilight thought at this, “No, I really can't think of anypony. Snowi, if you're worried that whatever foal you're talking about isn't going to get their cutie mark, I'm sure that they will find it eventually.” Twilight said.”Many parents worry that their foal isn't going to get their cutie mark, up until the point when they're a little bit older and they finally do.”

Snowi suddenly realized that she hadn't been completely clear with the unicorn. “Twilight, I'm the one who needs to find my cutie mark.” She turned to show Twilight her flank, devoid of any image whatsoever.

Twilight was stunned. Only a few instances in her lifetime had she seen a full grown pony with no cutie mark, and in these, they were in jail or doing volunteer work. “Oh...um...I'm so sorry, I didn't realize” she stuttered. She had not meant to offend Snowi, it was just so unusual.

“No, i-it's fine. Most ponies don't even realize until I turn around” she said sadly. “Well, I guess I'll be going then...” She started to head for the door, when an idea suddenly hit Twilight.

“Wait, I think I know some ponies who can help you, but their kind of...young.”

Snowi wondered on the last part. “How young?” she asked.

Twilight hesitated, “They're fillies.”

She thought for a second, “Well if it means getting my cutie mark I'll do just about anything.”

“Okay,” Twilight began, “but I'll have to talk to them about it, come back around three o'clock tomorrow.”

“Alright, thank you!” Snowi said before trotting out the door. Right after she closed the door she did a jump for joy. After all this time she might finally get her cutie mark, regardless of who helped her. She suddenly stopped when she thought of the fact that she still had nowhere to sleep.

'What am I going to do?' she thought to herself, 'I don't have a home, no pony who will take me in, and I don't have a clock to know when three o' clock is going to be...'

She pondered her situation and suddenly heard a familiar voice. 'Go to Twilight, she's the closest thing you have to a friend.' It was the same voice she had vowed to listen to from now on. What if she thought ill of her? What if she turned her down? 'No,' she shouted in her head, 'she's the only chance I have, I HAVE to ask her.'

She went back into the library, head held high. “Oh hey,” Twilight said, “was there anything else you needed?”

Snowi let out a sigh. 'You can do this,' she thought, 'just relax.' “Twilight,” she said aloud, “I actually need to talk to somepony, and you're the only one who I might be able to trust”

Twilight was surprised at this, having only known Snowi for a few minutes. “What's wrong Snowi?”

“Twilight,” she said, “is there somewhere we can sit down? I need to tell you something, and it's going to take a while.”

“Yeah, we can talk in the kitchen” she said before gesturing to a the next room. They went into it and took a seat a nearby table.

Snowi proceeded to tell Twilight her story, how her foalhood was, how she never got her cutie mark, even how she ended up in jail and had just been released that very day. “Wow,” Twilight said, “I'm sorry to here about all of that. You're welcome to stay here, so long as you're criminal past stays in the past.” She was glad to hear this.

“Don't worry, I won't be doing anything like that anymore. I've put that part of my life behind me and I don't plan on going back.”


Twilight started thinking for a moment, “I guess you can sleep in the guest bed. I'll go ahead and start fixing it up, you just make yourself at home.” She headed upstairs and began making the bed. Snowi went into the main room and dropped her bags by a nearby bookshelf.

She was about to head upstairs when the door suddenly opened and a voice shouted “Twilight! I'm back from Rarity's!” Snowi looked to see who it was. Seeing it was a baby dragon only made her say one thing,

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!”

“What the-” was all the dragon could get out before being assaulted by a mutant bear hug.

“Oh sweet Celestia you are the cutest thing I have ever seen! I don't know and I don't care what you are, you're adorable!”

The earth pony continued her hug for a few moments before a faint voice said, “Can't...breathe...”
Snowi released her grip, allowing the dragon a moment to recover. “So,” he said, “who are you and why do I feel like this has happened before?”

“My name is Snowi, and I don't know the answer to the second part. What might you be little one?” She asked in an foalish tone.

“My name is Spike, I'm a dragon.”

At that moment, Twilight decided to butt in, “A BABY dragon, to be correct, and my wittle baby dwagon shouldn't be hugged so tight, he might just go “POP”” she mocked.

Spike blushed at this, “Well...you're...purple...” Spike attempted to retort, too embarrassed to think of anything.

“Aaaw my wittle dragon should get to bed now, cwause he needs his beauty sweep” she continued to mock, “Come on Spikey-Wikey.” Having seen that, Snowi burst into a fit of laughter. Spike went upstairs, cheeks red as apples. Twilight put him to bed and headed downstairs, where Snowi had managed to control herself.

“Yes, that was my most faithful assistant, Spike. He's very helpful around the library, and we've known each other since I was a filly and he was hatched.” She thought back to that day and told Snowi how it was the best day of her life. She told how she had discovered her special talent, how she got Spike as her new best friend, and how she became Celestia's apprentice.

“Woah,” Snowi exclaimed, “you're Celestia's apprentice AND and element of harmony? Twilight, you are the coolest pony I have ever met!”

Twilight blushed, “Oh, thank you,” she said, “I've never really had anypony tell me I'm cool before.”

“Really?” Snowi asked, “That's strange, you would think...” She trailed off, confused by why the purple unicorn had never even been called cool.

“Well, whatever, I have another question to ask.”

“Shoot”

“Is it okay if I have something to eat? I don't mean to pry, but I don't really have that much food on me.”

“Of course you can, you're our guest, just don't eat too much.”

“Thank you!”

Snowi went into the kitchen and made herself a sandwich. After she finished it she headed to bed, Twilight having already gone to sleep. She got into her bed and almost instantly fell asleep. That night, for the first in many, she had sweet dreams.

Author's Note:

Remember that thing I said last chapter about separating that dialogue and whatnot? Well this chapter was TERRIBLE with that! It was left and right with those errors GOSH I'm glad I didn't release that!

Also, Stormcloak reference anyone?