• Published 18th Aug 2013
  • 1,306 Views, 25 Comments

SiE - Bubbleshy



My name is Blood Cry. I don't have fur, a cutie mark, hooves, or a snout. The Doctor said I am a hairless ape. Well, hairless minus the mane on my head. Although, like a pony, I do have a tail! A monkey's tail. All I know is I came from the

  • ...
17
 25
 1,306

1 - Star Child

"Now Doc, I want cha to brace yourself fer what it is exactly you're about to lay eyes on," a dark brown earth pony warned his counterpart. His mane and tail were a lighter shade of brown, and a fully cultivated patch of dirt with a plant growing in it resided on his flank symbolizing his cutie mark. A grey unicorn stood next to him with an orange mane and tail. This associate's cutie mark came in the form of a stethoscope. Both waited before a large yellow and white barn in the back of the earth pony's property. His house lay before the structure, and to its right a large field laid with the beginnings of that year's crop.

"Don't worry Firm Roots; I've seen many an odd occurrence in my lifetime. I'm sure yours will not take the cake in my journals. And will you stop calling me that! I've told you once; I've told you a hundred times, I'm but a simple town veterinarian. I don't even have my doctrine to claim the title. Tarturous, the only reason I'm practicing in this town is because the lot of you couldn't bring in a vet to save your hides. Speaking of things that could not be done, why did you paint this structure such a color? By Celestia it hurts my eyes just trying to conceive such a disaster."

Firm just smiled back at the vet pony's reaction. "Oh, believe me Doc. This'll certainly take whatever flavor of cake yer plannin' on eatin' tonight. Actually, you know, some cake does sound a might good about now. Maybe I ought to get ol' Storm to whip us up some cake, and we could-"

"Roots! Really now, you ripped me from the comfort of my home for this. Let's get all this done so I can return to such. I grow tired of these constant games you play, and would rather-"

Before the vet pony could finish his rant, Firm opened the doors. The doctor shut his muzzle and looked in. He stood ready to be in awe, and found no such emotion running through his being. Rather, all he found before him was darkness within the barn. Maybe the late hours of the night was not a good time to hold such a meet. The unicorn was thinking of a clever comment to sarcastically throw in the earth pony's face, but could find nothing before Firm started moving forward. He sufficed to stay quiet as his partner disappeared into the barn.

He waited patiently, but nothing came up. It was late, he was tired, this simpleton awoke him in the middle of the night, and now he sat waiting in the dark. Patience certainly wasn't something that was planning to last very long for this unicorn. Finally, his annoyance caught up with him as he yelled out, "Oh come now Roots! Can you please just turn on the darn light so we can get this over with?"

"Shhh! You'll wake it Doc!"
"Oh this is utterly- Wake what? I can't see anything in there!"
"Then why didn't you come over here like I beckoned ya to?"
"Because I can't exactly see what it is you're doing in there!"
"Well, if'n y'all join me in here, I'll be more than willin’ ta turn on a light fer ya to see better with."

This was it. He had enough. The unicorn was too tired for this anymore. All of his exhaustion had caught up with him, and his care had drained away. Instead of continuing a pointless argument, he sank his head and trudged his way into the barn. He made his way to the center and tried adjusting to the lack of light. This did him no good. Instead, the unicorn slightly lit up his horn to help guide him better to the farm pony. What caught his eyes instead was an animal sleeping in the back of the barn. He could barely make out its features, but it looked...hairless?

"What in Celestia's name is-?"

Just as the doctor began his questioning, a light flicked on in the back. There stood Firm Roots. A light fixture hung from the ceiling supporting the half of a second story, and just gave off enough light to help alleviate the problem of darkness. Not far from Firm Roots was a small animal of unknown origin. It was as big as a newborn colt, but had no fur on its skin. A slight black mane rested on the creature's head standing straight up, and a fuzzy tail wrapped its way around it. The thing cradled itself in a burlap bag, sucking on its tail. Its shape was...different, to say the least.

"By Luna's moon!" The vet quickened his pace from earlier and galloped next to the creature as fast as possible. He did nothing but stare at it for the good part of a minute before finally lowering his head every which angle to better examine the thing.

"Roots, where did you find this?"

"Oh, you know, I usually shop at the town market. Dancin' Needles makes some of the best bags you'll ever lay your eyes on Doc! You should really invest in one."

The vet stared at the farm pony. The sarcasm was lost on the tired unicorn. He stood before Firm, just staring at him with the blankest face possible to a pony. Finally the statement settled in the Doc's mind. Slowly, what remained of his exhaustion-flooded anger resurfaced. "You dolt, I meant the-"

Roots began laughing. "Oh, I know Doc. I'm just pullin' your leg. I'm honestly not real sure. Alls I remember is sitting on the porch with Tornado, watchin' the storm clouds dancing above. When all of a sudden, the sky opened in a blaze of fire! And a star fell not far from the edge of my property."

"I remember no such event occurring in the past few days. Not to mention, there was no earthquake or explosive noise to relate with your accusations."

Firm Roots shook his head. "Nah Doc, this is all serious! It was extremely late, so no one but the three of us noticed it happenin'. Stormy was off takin' care of the night weather above our house. And no one in town seemed roused by the noise! When I got there to investigate, there was a crater and some circular metal-like thingy at the sight with...well, this in it!"

The unicorn just stared at this creature wrapped in the sack. He racked his mind for what it could possibly be. His knowledge of animals was not limited to the pets of the locals. He had done extensive research on many types of fauna. He hadn't earned the veterinarian position by just stepping up to the plate when no one else would. Although, something told him that he could have earned the job just the same if he had. A doctorate was far beyond his reach, but if money was no option he would have a better chance than most ponies going for the same degree. They studied for the degree. He studied for the pure love of the career. But no matter how much he racked, no animal came to mind that was close to what this was.

"So you're telling me that this thing is..."
"From the stars, Doc."

A child of the stars. Although not the best description for what the creature was, it would have to do until more was known of it. Then there was the whole factor of how reliable the information was. "I'm going to need to talk to your son about this whole ordeal before we follow suit on crediting you on this info."

"That's fine by me Doc, but maybe we should wait 'till the light of the morn? It's a might late to be wakin' the colt just to ask him fer info."

The unicorn sighed, knowing that's exactly why he was in this predicament in the first place. Though a growing colt and a full grown stallion were two different topics to discuss. This thing was what was important now. The doctor could feel it. Tornado could sleep, but the discussion over this thing would be top concern as soon as he woke. "Do you have a name for the little thing yet?"

"Actually yeah! I was thinking Blood Cry."

The unicorn raised an eyebrow to such a claim. "Okay, and would you like to indulge me as to how you came up with such a ludicrous name?"

The earth pony just stood there with a stupid smile on his face. As though he was waiting for just that question to pop up. He slowly raised his hoof and held it in front of the doctor's face. Without hesitation, he ripped the tail right out of the star child's mouth and hands. Slowly, the realization began to hit the little thing. It roused from its slumber, and sat up groggily. The thing looked around for a moment before crunching up its face in frustration. A torrent of noise sprang from its mouth. Best described as hysterics incarnate.

Louder than any pony child could scream, this little one threw a fit loud enough to make the doctor's ear drums ring in agony. Nothing was disturbing it anymore, but the fact it had been disturbed in the first place was enough to send it into a rage that was nearly loud enough to wake the entire town without hesitation. It was obvious that this was only a baby, but it was much feistier than a pony baby.

"Okay Firm Roots! You've made your point. Now get this thing to stop making that awful noise."
"Dunno how to yet Doc."
"What! What do you mean? It was sleeping earlier."

"Yeah, that was just coinkydink. Don't know what calmed him down, and I have no idea what it'll take to get him to stop this time either. So, how about them cakes?"

The vet's eyes went wide in agony. If this point had not manifested itself earlier: it was clear that it was going to be a long night.

Author's Note:

Here's the first chapter. As with all of my work, an editor would be appreciated.
And if y'all could, PLEASE comment as to WHY you're thumbing down if you do.
I sure would like comments to explain how I could improve! =D