• Published 23rd Jul 2013
  • 3,211 Views, 139 Comments

Broken Feathers - That Avi Nerd



All seemed normal at a fair behind held in honor of Twilight becoming an Alicorn, but then one of the Mane Six went missing in a terrible fire. From there everything that could have gone wrong, did.

  • ...
7
 139
 3,211

Change of Plans

Phantom stood outside of a wooden door, in the middle of a blank, undecorated hallway inside the Ponyville Guardhouse. He took a moment to collect his thoughts, and several deep breaths, then entered.

The room was completely white, from top to bottom, wall to wall, except for the one-way mirror that occupied most of one wall. In the center of this room was the once respected pegasus stallion known as Soarin'. He was shackled to the floor by heavy, steel weights, with bindings around his wings and legs. The only movement he was capable of was with his head. All Soarin' did when Phantom entered was continue to stare at his reflection in the mirror, smiling to himself. He had been doing that since being brought there.

"I think it's safe to say that your career as a Wonderbolt is at an end," Phantom spoke. He was hoping for some sort of a response, but got nothing. "If you want to talk, your opportunity is now. You're being charged with conspiracy against the crown, attempted murder, aggravated assault, attempted murder of a member of the Royal Guard, and ponynapping, so I'll probably be one of the last ponies you ever talk to, or even see for that matter."

"Except for those in the trial. And my lawyer. I have rights, you know." Soarin' finally spoke, his voice deeper and slower than normal.

Phantom started circling him, menacingly. After a couple of rotations, he stopped and whispered into his ear, "You're being detained as a terrorist," then moved back in front of the mirror, blocking Soarin's reflection. "You. Have. No. Rights."

"Is that so?"

"Very. Now answer my questions. Why have you embarked on this worthless endeavor? You know you'll never succeed, right?"

"It's not worthless, we will succeed. As for why, well, Princess Celestia has been in power for over a thousand years; it's time for some new, better blood. The Equestrian military is just sitting in their bases, doing nothing. We have a perfectly capable army, and more magic than any other nation. We could easily take over the world, but no, Celestia is worried about other ponies’ feelings."

"Hm. Who's 'we'? I'm not talking about Cloud Maker either, I know there's more than just you two."

"We are everywhere. We are everypony. We are everything. You will never stop us."

"Sure we won't... Why did you target Rainbow Dash and Applejack? Why not somepony like Fluttershy?"

"Rainbow is the strongest of the Elements of Harmony. If we took her out first, then we'd have no opposition left between us and the dearest Princesses. Unfortunately, I failed in my first attempt to kill that witch, and as a result, security was increased. So, Cloud and I went for the next strongest, one who wouldn't have any security for awhile. Once we ponynapped her though, I managed to get some time to try to kill Rainbow again, but you had to follow me, didn't you? If you had just stayed away, and Rainbow had gone to lunch like she should have, then there wouldn't have been a mess like this."

"Okay then... What is the Hive?" Silence was the answer. "Oh, now we're getting into the good information. I'll ask you again. What is the Hive?" Still, silence. "Now we get into my favorite part about not existing... the rules don't apply..." Phantom raised his hoof to strike Soarin' across the muzzle, but was stopped by a knocking at the door. The bi-colored stallion sighed, and calmly headed to the door, opening it up and stepping out into the hall slowly.

Just before he closed the door, he heard Soarin' mock; "Long live the Queen."

Shining Armor stood waiting. "Captain," Phantom greeted.

"Staff Sergeant, it's good to see that you're alright. I'm assuming Applejack is also alright?"

"Yes sir, I sent her home to get some rest with her family."

"Good, good. How's the prisoner doing?"

"He's telling me things I already knew, trying to spin me around in circles. When we were in the caves however, I heard them mention something about a 'Hive', but he hasn't yet explained that to me."

"Well, maybe I can."

"Sir?"

"Follow me." Shining turned around and followed the hallway back a few feet to yet another wooden door. Phantom followed him inside the observation room for the interrogation area.

"Phantom!" The stallion whose name was called was surprised to see Rainbow Dash rush to embrace him, considering what was known as he normal attitude. "I'm so happy you're okay!." She quickly realized what she had said and backed off, sheepishly rubbing her mane. "I mean, it's cool that you're alright. I-I saw you get hit with that board and thought..."

"It's okay, Miss Dash," Phantom calmed her. "I've taken worse hits, trust me."

"I thought I told you not to call me 'Miss Dash' anymore," Rainbow deadpanned.

"Oh, I guess I got hit worse than I thought..." Phantom looked around the observation room to see the other occupants. First he saw Twilight Sparkle, with Princess Celestia at her side, both were staring into the interrogation room at Soarin'. Behind them, he saw Archer. "What happened?" he asked the earth pony. "Something happened if you've revealed yourself."

"Two Changelings posing as Royal Guards attempted to assassinate Princess Celestia," Archer replied. "I intervened."

"Changelings!?" Phantom gasped, showing an unusual level of emotion.

"Changelings," Shining Armor confirmed. He positioned himself in front of the mirror and motion Phantom to stand next to him. Together, the two ponies stared at Soarin'. "Like this one." Shining's horn lit up. After a brief, blinding flash of light, Soarin' was no longer Soarin', and instead a Changeling sat in his place.

"So, Changelings are behind this?"

"I believe they have a major part in it. We're looking in to see if Soarin' was even involved in the first place. The Wonderbolts are supposed to arrive today so we will have a chance to question them, though they won't be here long."

"May I ask why?"

"They won't have anypony to perform for," Princess Celestia explained. "I'm having the fair cancelled."

"If Changelings are involved in this conspiracy," Shining Armor continued, "then nopony is safe. The more ponies and here, the easier it is for the Changelings to slip in. They even managed to pose as some of our most elite guards. They're becoming stronger."

"Hm..." Phantom thought for a moment. "This explains what he was talking about when he mentioned this 'Hive'. Is it safe to assume that Queen Chrysalis is behind this?"

"Well duh!" Rainbow laughed. "She already tried once, and nearly killed me doing it."

"I see. But shouldn't she be dead, though? From the story I've heard, she was caught in the cave collapse."

"That was the last anypony saw of her," Twilight said. "Chrysalis has such a strong connection to the Changelings that I believe her death would greatly affect them... They seem fine, maybe even stronger, so I don't really think she's dead. I would bet she's hiding somewhere, building up her strength and her army."

"There's only one way to find out the truth." Celestia looked at Phantom. "I'm having a small, specialized team put together to investigate this Changeling threat."

"Okay... I'm assuming there's a reason you're telling me?" the pegasus questioned.

"Why yes, you're going to be the leader. You'll have all of the resources you need and the full weight of the Equestrian government behind you. I'm calling it 'Task Force 247'. You'll pick the team of four, including yourself."

"Just four?"

"Task Force 247 will require a large amount of resources, so the smaller the better. Do you know who you want on your team?"

"Archer." Archer nodded with a smile. "Stryker, where ever he is, and..." Phantom paused for a moment. "I-I don't know anypony else."

"Then I will appoint my best guard to you. Your first assign—"

"I'll go," Rainbow Dash interrupted. Everypony looked at her, confused. "I'll go on his team."

"No," Phantom responded coldly.

"But—"

"No. You're injured, emotionally and psychologically traumatized, and moreover, untrained. On top of those, you would be required to enlist in the Equestrian Guard, which would severely hamper your aspirations to become a Wonderbolt."

"T-thats the thing... After what's happened... I... I..." Everypony waited anxiously for what she had to say. Twilight slowly moved closer. "I don't think I want to be a Wonderbolt anymore..."

Twilight gasped, rushing to her friend’s side. "Rainbow, you can't be serious! You've wanted to be a Wonderbolt your entire life and you’re going to let one pony change that?"

"No just one pony. My idol. The reason I wanted to be come a Wonderbolt, to become like him. Now I see what he truly is, and I don't want to become that. I... I think that I want to be a guard, like my dad."

"Your dad was a guard?"

"Yeah but... he was always at a desk in Cloudsdale. Still, I think I want to be a Guard."

"Well then," Princess Celestia said, "if your mind is made up, I can have you put on the team as a probationary-guard until you’re capable of attending proper training. Phantom," Celestia turned her attention from Rainbow to him, "do you have any issues with this course of action?"

"No, your highness. I will not go against your wishes."

"Very well. I will have Stryker brought here and then brief you all on your first assignment."

"We're starting now?"

"Yes. Changelings are threatening this town, so we need to get to work as soon as possible. So, I'm sending you to where this nightmare began, a cave in the Everfree Forest, where Queen Chrysalis was last seen."

Rainbow gulped, hard.


Rainbow Dash, Phantom, and Archer stood outside of the collapsed cave entrance, waiting for Stryker to clear it.

Stryker was a tan-coated unicorn stallion, with a black mane and tail, and a large black spot on his back that resembled a saddle. Interestingly enough, he was a blank flank. He was throwing the rocks out of the collapsed tunnel with his sand-colored magic. Progress on the digging was faster than expected. In no time they'd be inside. Archer stood next to Stryker, his bow ready. Phantom patiently waited off to the side, while Rainbow Dash paced back and forth.

"You sure you're up for this?" Phantom asked Rainbow, who stopped in place to listen. "You're not exactly in the greatest of conditions, and you've never been through Guard training before. And your dad having a desk job doesn't exactly help—"

"Are you kidding?" Rainbow interrupted. "I'm Rainbow 'Danger' Dash, the greatest flyer in all of Equestria!"

Phantom snorted. "Seriously, kid? The greatest flyer in all of Equestria is a title currently held by somepony other than yourself."

"Oh really? Who is he? I'll take on any challenge he can throw at me and win! I'm the only pony to ever perform a sonic rainboom, thank you."

"Did you just say sonic rain—"

"Phantom," Stryker cut in, "cave's clear."

"Celestia that was fast. What'd you do, turn the rocks into a dust?"

"Basically, yeah."

"Okay then, let's go in."

Phantom led the way into the perfectly hollowed out cave, clear of the debris that once clogged it. Rainbow, Archer and Stryker followed close behind. The only illumination in the cave was provided by a light being emitted from Stryker's horn. At least this cave system was wider, taller, and more importantly, shorter, than the last one Phantom found himself in. Soon, they came across a side tunnel, one that was completely untouched by the collapse. The group of ponies quickly made their way through it, entering into what was once a large chamber, but was now an open crater in the ground, sunlight pouring in from the top.

"It’s going to take forever to search this place..." Rainbow moaned, more of to herself than anypony specifically.

"Then we had better get to work."


Shining Armor waited patiently on the steps of the Ponyville town hall, clad in full armor, flanked on both sides by Royal Guards. He had been instructed to wait here until the rest of the Wonderbolts arrived. To pass the time, he gazed across the town square's crowd. With the fair cancelled, many of the ponies were resuming their normal lives. It was a nice distraction from what was going on in the background.

"Pretty weird how those Changeling things could be in this crowd and we'd never know," one guard said to the other over Shining's back.

"Yeah. Were you there when they attacked Canterlot?"

"Nah, I had a detail in Cloudsdale for some Wonderbolts show that day. Why, were you?"

The first guard shook his head. "Patrol in the Everfree Forest."

"That's always the worst. I swear, a part of me dies whenever I see that assignment next to my name on that damned duty board in there."

"Hmhm. Nothing ever happens, except, well, last time I went out."

"Oh?"

"It was the weirdest thing. I'm flying along, minding my own business, and suddenly this rainbow streak zips by. The shockwave from this thing was so intense that it threw me to the ground."

"That's crazy. Ever figure out what it was?"

"You mean who. It was that mare that Soarin' tried killing. What was her name... Rainbow... Rainbow... Rainbow Thrash? Crash?"

"Dash," Shining Armor deadpanned, idly listening to their conversation. Normally he wouldn't have allowed it to go on, but it had been a stressful few days and they were all worn out. He was also bored out of his mind and might have been banging his head against the wall if it were not for him being on duty and in uniform. While the conversation continued, he wondered how Phantom was doing in his search for intel on Queen Chrysalis' whereabouts.

"Dash! That's it. It was her infamous sonic rainboom."

"I think I saw her do that at the best young flyers competition. She saved three of the Wonderbolts and one of her friends."

"Nice. Were you stuck on guard duty there?"

"Nah, I was watching my daughter perform."

"I see. You know, Rainbow Dash has been the only pony known to do a sonic rainboom?"

"What? No... Didn't Spectrum perform one before?"

"That old man? I can't see it. I've been in the guard for years and I've only ever seen that stallion behind a desk."

"I dunno know, I've heard some pretty incredible stories from some of the older guys about him. And have you seen his office? There's all kinds of framed commendations and medals and stuff on the walls next to his old uniform."

"Huh. He's always been an interesting pony. Why do you bring him up?"

"Well, he has a rainbow mane."

"Yeah... so?"

"And a rainbow shooting out of a cloud for a cutie mark."

"What's your point?"

"So does Rainbow Dash."

"You think they're related?"

"I think she's his daughter."

"He's never said anything about a kid."

"He hardly says anything in the first place."

"Quiet," Shining cut in, looking intently to the skies. "They're here."

In moments, a formation of pegasi swooped in and landed in front of him. The guards at Shining's flanks snapped to a salute, then went back to attention. He mentally named them off. Spitfire, Fleetfoot, Misty Fly, Rapidfire... No Soarin'...

"Captain Spitfire," Shining Armor greeted with a nod. "I think we need to have a talk inside."


Several hours of digging and search passed. Still, nothing had been found, except for and twisted mess that was once an iron-barred cage. Phantom kicked a lonely pebble across the crater, groaning in frustration. "Specialized team my flank... this is probie work!"

"Uh, sir?" Archer ventured to interrupt Phantom's rant.

"You had better have found something..." Phantom growled.

"I did, sir, you'll want to see this."

Phantom flew over to where the earth pony was standing. Archer was covered head to hoof in dirt and dust. An outstretched hoof indicated towards a boulder pushed to the side, revealing an escape tunnel. So she did escape, Phantom thought to himself. Carefully, Phantom entered the tunnel, this one being much, much smaller than the previous ones. There was barely enough room for his wings to have fit if they were fully extended. There was a small light ahead, so he figured that the tunnel wasn't very long either. Not too long later, he emerged into a small carved out room, in the center of which was a small table with a map of Equestria. Phantom studied it carefully as Rainbow Dash approached next to him.

"What is it?" she asked.

"The key to this whole thing, I hope," Phantom replied, studying the map closely. Ponyville had a red circle around it, with a blue line leading from it to the northern region of Equestria, to a little-known hold in the mountains known as Glacies, which had a green star next to the city of Aquila. Next to the blue line, there was a series of notes:

Eliminate Elements of Harmony. Maintain stealth. Do NOT get caught. Infiltrate Royal Guard. Once complete, return to the Hive in Glacies. Long live the Queen.

"That's not good..." Phantom whispered.

"What is it?" asked Rainbow Dash.

"Queen Chrysalis and the Changelings are, in fact, a part of this conspiracy. She's probably the one behind the whole thing. It looks like they're hiding in the northern mountains."

Rainbow seemed to not pay much attention. She was more focused on inspecting the other items on the table, including correspondences between Soarin' and Cloud Maker, along with other names she didn't recognize. But there was one letter that seemed to pique her interest, lying away from the others, seemingly waiting to be read.

"Hey, Phantom, look at this." Rainbow indicated towards to letter. Phantom moved to the other side of the table and began to read the letter.

To whomever may be reading this letter, allow me to be the first to say you are in over your mane. Note that if you pursue your current path, your life span will be considerably shortened. Know that we will never stop, nor ever relent in placing upon the throne of the world what rightfully belongs there. Equestria will only be the first step in our master plan. And we will succeed. You have three options: Join us, get out of the way, or attempt to stop us. If you choose the last of the three, then I would tie up loose ends in your life if I were you.

Long live the Queen,

-Sky

"Sky?" Phantom gasped. Memories of his departed best friend rushed into his forethought, particularly those of the day of his passing and the circumstances surrounding it.

"Hello, Phantom," said an echoing, all too familiar voice. One that he thought was lost to the ages, burned in that terrible explosion. Phantom turned to lay his gaze upon a blue unicorn stallion, with a red and silver mane in the corner of the room. Sky...

Author's Note:

Update! That was faster than I had anticipated... mainly because of the stupid amount of dialogue, but still. Oh well. Sadly though, the next chapter is probably going to be the last, if not, the one after it will be. On the bright side, that means the start of Broken Feathers: Equestrian North! Woo!
So, yeah, I'm kinda rushing if you can't tell... A part of me really really really wants to work on Equestrian North because it's hopefully going to be much more intense.
Spectrum (Rainbow's dad, this was mentioned in Birthday Dash), is going to have some more... should I say... build up in the next story, too.
As for Sky, well, recall back to 'Falling Embers', when Phantom was laying next to RD and he had the nightmare? Yeah, it's that Sky, he's not really dead. In the next chapter I'm taking that up a notch with another revilation involving him. So, be patient.
If you guys have any questions, leave a comment and I'll get to it ASAP.
Up next: Wrapping up the story.