• Published 23rd Jul 2013
  • 3,211 Views, 139 Comments

Broken Feathers - That Avi Nerd



All seemed normal at a fair behind held in honor of Twilight becoming an Alicorn, but then one of the Mane Six went missing in a terrible fire. From there everything that could have gone wrong, did.

  • ...
7
 139
 3,211

Chase

"One of my agents has informed me that the Royal Guard is preparing to mobilize against us," Cloud Maker spoke, his voice echoing through the dimly lit catacombs. "We'll need an escape plan."

"I have an idea," Soarin' replied, "but..."

"But?"

"You haven't exactly been fond of my plans, lately."

"I was angry then. Now? I'm desperate and running out of options. Capture can not be one."

"Okay then, but we'll have to have some help. We'll need to get in touch with some of your contacts."

"This sounds interesting... Fill me in."

"Simple, sir. They're looking for us, so they're going to find us... There are some rather... important... details to go over to make it seem legitimate."

"If you're going where I think you are with this plan, then you may just redeem yourself."


"Get ready," Phantom whispered, "I hear them coming."

"Don't worry 'bout me, s'long as you're ready," Applejack replied sternly.

Phantom sighed, then flew up to the ceiling above the cell door and hovered there. He flipped himself over onto his back and grabbed hold of the rocky roof as best he cold, suspended in the air without the use of his wings. That darkness of his coat and mane allowed him to blend into the shadows well. "I still don't like this plan; it's too brash, too brutish."

"Well it's all we got, so deal with it."

Applejack went to the far side of the room, opposite of the cell door, and collapsed. As much as Phantom didn't want to admit it, she was right. This was the only somewhat reasonable option that they could come up with. Applejack's plan was this: to have her go to the far side of the room, essentially play dead, and have Phantom lie in wait above the cell doors for Cloud Maker and Soarin' to rush in to check on her, and pounce on Soarin'. Unfortunately for Phantom, the precarious position he was set in was difficult and strenuous to maintain.

Minutes that seemed ever so longer came, then went. Finally, voices echoed through the tunnels.

"..nds like it could..., good job, Soarin'."

"Than... so long as the agents..."

As the voices got closer, their words became more clear and understandable.

"We know all of the important details, sir," said Soarin'. "Should we be interrogated, we should be able to easily fool them."

"The job you've tasked us isn't that difficult, we should be able to complete it without any hassle," Cloud Maker spoke.

Are... Phantom began to think to himself. Are they talking to another pony? He listened closely, trying to block out their words so he could hear something else. It sounded almost as if there were four sets of hooves moving town the tunnel. But before he could focus on it any longer, the voices were just next to the cell door.

"For some of us, it is," Soarin' commented.

"Yeah, ha ha," Cloud Maker laughed. "Like when Eon failed miserably to impersonate Rainbow Dash in front of her friends?"

"Haha, 'What's special about today?' 'Uhh... it's Tuesday?' Ha ha ha!" Both ponies broke out in intense laughter.

"That's what happens when you miss the briefing... Guess we should get the prisoners now, eh?"

"Let's get this over with, I'd like to get back to the Hive— Hey!" Soarin' had apparently seen Applejack laying limp on the rock floor. "Wake up." Applejack, per the plan, didn't budge. Soarin' sighed with growing frustration. A metallic thud echoed out as the door was unlocked and slid open. Soarin' stepped in, making his way towards Applejack, while Cloud Maker stood in the doorway. "I said, 'Wake up!'" The pegasus brought his hoof up as if he were about to slam it down on Applejack's side.

"I-I don't think you should do that..." Cloud Maker warned. Soarin' seemed to hesitate for a moment, and a moment is all Phantom and Applejack needed to act on their plan.

"AJ, now!" Phantom yelled, pushing himself off of the ceiling and using his wings to propel himself as hard as he could, slamming directly into Cloud Maker's back. The green pegasus had no time to react. Under Phantom's impact, his legs buckled, and he slammed into the floor. The sudden racket caught Soarin's attention, who turned to see what the disturbance was. Applejack took this time to quickly hop to her hooves, and use her powerful working legs to buck the side of Soarin', who was sent flying, without the use of his wings, to the other side of the cell, cracking the rock wall.

Cloud Maker struggled with Phantom, but managed to reverse their positions. Phantom kicked him off, and allowed himself the moment to rise to his hooves. "Let's go!" he commanded Applejack before planting on last blow on Cloud Maker's jaw. Soarin' was just beginning to recover.

"Ya don't have ta tell me twice," Applejack replied, hastily galloping towards the cell door. "Which way?"

Phantom met her in the rock corridor, looked left, then right. The tunnel leading to the left led to where he originally entered the catacombs from, and back to the house, but he didn't know if it would be possible to open the trap door from this side, plus it's possible that the path caved in when Rainbow fell through earlier. The tunnel leading to the left, however, was a complete unknown except that that's where Soarin' and Cloud Maker had come from, and that there was a watery breeze emanating from that direction. The fact that Soarin' was getting ready to pounce on the pair sped up his decision-making process, rather brashly, too.

Phantom grabbed hold of Applejack's hoof, and pulled her down the left tunnel just as Soarin' leaped, then smacked face first into the opposite wall. The famous pegasus slid down it with a groan.

"After them!" Cloud Maker yelled, galloping into the hall after the escaping prisoners.

Phantom was surprised to see that Applejack was managing to keep up. Though he was a pegasus, and regarded himself as a fast and skilled flyer, he also considered himself an equally skilled runner and had expected Applejack to start to fall behind. He was delightfully disappointed to see her match his pace. His attention quickly returned forward for fear of running into something and causing himself a large amount of pain, like what Soarin' was probably experiencing at this moment.

The dark tunnel went by quickly, with only oil lanterns every fifteen or twenty feet to gauge distance by. First the tunnel dipped down, then back up, slightly to the left, then a sharp turn to the right, then slightly to the left. It kept going for what seemed like miles in twisting, seemingly random, directions. Soarin' and Cloud Maker stayed hot on the hooves of Phantom and Applejack. Phantom thought that Soarin' surely would have caught up to them by now, seeing as how he was a part of the most elite flyer group in all of Equestria, but he figured that the tunnel must have been slowing him down.

"Ya hear that?" Applejack asked.

"Hear what?" Phantom replied. "The ponies that are currently chasing after us with the intent to kill? Yeah, I hear that."

"No no no no, the water."

Phantom listened closely. Over the sound of their own galloping and the flapping of the wings of the pagasi behind then, he could faintly hear the sound of rushing water, and it was slowly becoming louder. He sniffed the air. "I hear it alright, and smell it too. We're getting closer."

"Think it's a way out?"

"It might be the same river that Rainbow fell into. If so, then we may be able to find her. But I will also accept a way out."

Both of their paces picked up. Phantom could feel floating pellets of water hitting him, and the sound was nearing a deafening level. They were getting extremely close. The weaving tunnel was beginning to lighten up. Phantom and Applejack were nearly blinded by light after they made a sharp left turn. What Phantom could see was the falling white water that cut off their path. Only one thought came to mind.

"Get on my back!" Phantom commanded.

"What!?"

"Get on my back! That's a waterfall up ahead, I have a plan. You have to trust me."

"But Soarin' couldn't even keep RD on his back, and she nearly died!"

"I also told you that Soarin' did that on purpose, and I'm not Soarin'! Get on!" Phantom dipped one side of his body closer to the ground, offering a way on for Applejack. She hesitantly took it, running near to him and putting a foreleg over his back for support before jumping the rest of the way on. She lay square against his back, her forelegs wrapped tightly around his neck. Phantom extended his wings just before the waterfall, and shouted one final warning to Applejack before jumping. "Hold on tight!"


"Breaching!"

The rotted wooden door that once belonged to the front of the old, abandoned house exploded open in a shower of splinters. Royal Guards flooded in through the newly created opening. The Stallions in White spread through all of the rooms and halls, shouting 'clear' once they noted it was secure. In less than a minute, the entire building, the attic, second floor, ground floor, and cellar were secured. Shining Armor stepped in to examine the first room moments after the final call.

"Princess Luna?" Shining Armor called outside, barely turning his gaze from the details of the inside of the building.

"Yes, Captain Armor?" Luna asked, swooping in through what used to be the front door.

"Rainbow Dash's dream led you to the tunnel entrance, so you're the only pony who knows where it is. Lead the way."

Luna confidently led Shining Armor and a small group of Royal Guards down the musky halls and straight towards the secret tunnel entrance. The small room that called the sealed entrance home first appeared baren, devoid of anything. Luna appeared stumped.

"We... we do not know how to open it. In Ms. Dash's dream, it was already opened."

"Allow me..." Shining spoke with a grin, stepping to Luna's side. He aimed his horn at the floor, and fired a powerful, explosive spell. The tiny room was quickly engulfed in flying rock and debris. When the dust settled, the entire floor had been blown open, revealing the tunnel entrance. "After you, Princess."

Luna nodded, then headed into the depths of the catacombs. She followed the path traveled by Rainbow Dash in her dream, but this time it seemed to go by quicker; it's possible that Rainbow's dream exaggerated the distance. The Princess and the guards arrived at the final dip, hopping over the hole Rainbow fell through earlier, and moved up into the main hall of the tunnel.

"Signs of a struggle," Princess Luna pointed out, glancing at the scrapes along the floors, several feathers of varying colors, and the small impact crater on the side of the wall opposite of the cell door. Shining's guards rushed forward and into the cell, securing it instantly.

"Empty, sir," one of the guards came out to report to his Captain.

"We didn't come across them on our way in," Shining pointed out the obvious, more rambling to himself than speaking to anypony specifically. "So they must have gone ahead of us."

"The scuff marks look fresh, too," Luna indicated.

"Then let's get a move on!" Shining led the charge forward, taking off at full gallop with his guards behind him. Princess Luna flew just above their heads, skimming the rocky ceiling, listening for any sounds that might help them. They traveled through the tunnels as fast as they could, the twists and turns slowing them down. The group felt like they had been running for miles when they finally came to a halt just feet away from the waterfall, its mist blowing in on them.

"Are we sure they came this way?" Princess Luna yelled over the noise of the falling water.

"The tracks came this way," Shining replied, pointing to the hoofprints behind them, "but stop just before the waterfall."

"Could they have taken flight?"

"I hope not. If they did, then we lose the trail. Can't you use your mind, sense, thingy, to track them? Like you did with Rainbow Dash?"

"Miss Dash was asleep. The ponies we are looking for are not. I can only find them if they are."

"Oh hay..." The group of ponies either looked around, or stared at the waterfall.

"Sir," spoke one of the Royal Guards, "there's a side path here." Shining looked over to where the guard was pointing. A very small ledge that jutted out about a foot extended along the side of the rock face and down to the shore below. Most of his guards were pegasi, but he and the remaining others were not, so this would be their way down.

"Let's go."

It took several minutes for the guards who were incapable of flight to traverse down the unstable ledge. While she was waiting, Princess Luna took to the skies and flew around the area, trying to locate Phantom and Applejack. One of her Night Guards flew up by her side, bowing in the air before speaking.

"Princess Luna, ma'am," he began happily. "We've located the missing ponies, but the suspects are chasing after them. That Guard, Phantom? He's carrying that mare on his back, but he's getting tired. It's only a matter of time before the suspects catch up to them."

Luna nodded. "Understood, where are they?"

"Heading towards the apple orchard, just to the east."

"Very well. Inform Captain Armor of this development, and of their location. Also, inform him that we are on our way there."

The Night Guard saluted. "Yes, ma'am."


Applejack's weight was becoming too much for Phantom. His hooves began to skim along the grass. Sweat rolled down his face as he panted heavily.

"Cant... keep... going..." Phantom gasped for air.

Applejack looked behind them, at Soarin' and Cloud Maker who were still a hundred or so feet back, but were slowly gaining on them.

"Ya gotta keep goin'!" she encouraged. "If you stop they'll catch us. We're going faster now than if we were on our hooves!"

"Trying... can't... too heavy..."

"C'mon! We're almost there!"

"Hang... on..." Phantom fell lower to the ground, his hooves and knees dragging along before he finally crashed, sliding on his belly, chest, and face along the ground, leaving a trench in his wake. "You... okay?"

"Yeah, now c'mon they're almost here! We gotta go!"

Phantom stayed in the trench he’d created and relaxed, exhausted and depleted of energy. "Get... off.... please..." he managed to mumble between gasps of air.

Applejack leapt in front of Phantom, bent down and yelled into his face. "They're comin', Phantom! We gotta go before they catch us."

"Too late, my dear." Soarin' growled. A cold chill ran town Applejack's back. She hesitantly raised her head. Soarin' was hovering above her and Phantom, while Cloud Maker circled them like a hungry vulture. Applejack immediately took a defensive stance, ready to buck the life out of which ever one came for them. Phantom slowly stood on wobbly legs, trying his best to show he was still capable of resistance.

"You... you could have caught us before we even left the cave..." Phantom spoke towards Soarin', regaining his breath. "Why didn't you?"

There was a hesitant pause. "I... I guess I just wanted the thrill of the chase."

"Well, the chase is over, then. So, are you going to kill us now?"

"Uh, what're ya doin'?" Applejack whispered to him.

"Gathering intel," he whispered back.

"Why? They're going to kill us anyway."

"Not if I can stall them long enough for help to get here. We passed a Night Guard patrol, so help will be on the way. Besides, my gut is telling me they won't kill us. There's someone pulling these guys' strings, and I want to know who." Phantom turned his attention to Cloud Maker, speaking in a normal tone. "So why haven't you killed us yet? What are you waiting for?"

The question seemed to stump the green stallion for a moment. "We have plans that require the two of you to live."

"I see. And what of Rainbow Dash?" This time Phantom was directing his words back to Soarin'. "She looked up to you, and you killed her?"

"She escaped, actually."

"Escaped? She outran a Wonderbolt who was likely flying after her? Impressive."

"She didn't outrun, she out... turned me. I guess."

"I see. So who's your boss?"

"We have no boss, we're working on our own to conquer Equestria."

"Queen Chrysalis, and Discord themselves couldn't conquer Equestria. How am I to believe that you'll succeed?"

"Trust me, we will."

"No," came a new voice, "you won't." Everypony looked to the skies above Soarin'. There, Princess Luna was descending, a ring of Night Guards surrounded the group of ponies below. "Soarin' Skies, Cloud Maker, by order of myself and my sister, Princess Celestia, you are hereby placed under arrest."

Instead of resisting or attempting to flee, Soarin' and Cloud Maker merely smiled.


Rainbow Dash happily stepped off of the last step in the cloud stairs that Luna had made for her, happy that she could get from her home to the ground without any direct assistance from anypony. Luna was right, too. She was the Element of Loyalty, and she was going to prove that to her friends. Wearing said Element around her neck, and with a belly full of food, she was ready to head into town and deal with this conspiracy. Just as she took her first steps towards town, her journey was interrupted.

"Dashie!"

Rainbow attempted to turn towards the source of the excited mare's call, but was tackled to the ground in a flurry of bright pink hair. A moment later, Rainbow found herself on her back, looking up into a pink head with deep blue eyes.

"Dashie!" Pinkie Pie cheered, hugging her friend. "I knew you'd be back! I knew it! I knew it! I knew it! So when I heard that Princess Luna took you home I waited out here for you to come down! I would have gone up there but I'm not a pegasus so I can't walk on clouds and Twilight is with Princess Celestia at the fair right now so she can't give me a spell to walk on clouds otherwise I would have surprised you sooner! But now you’re back and I was right because I just knew you'd be back and okay! Now we can throw a party to celebrate, and I won't invite that meanie-head Soarin' or that other meanie-head Cloud Maker."

"Pinkie..." the pegasus moaned.

"It'll be better than your birthday! I'll make sure nopony messes this one up! No Changelings, no ponies trying to take your parents, no problems what-so-ever. It'll be a super-happy-fun-awesome time!"

"Pinkie!"

"Yeah, Dashie?"

"You're still standing on me..."

Pinkie Pie looked down, suddenly realizing that she was, in fact, standing atop of her friend’s chest. She quickly hopped off, giggling to herself. "Oh, sorry."

"It's okay." Rainbow groaned, standing up and feeling a sudden spike of pain zip through her unbandaged, injured wing. Checking to make sure it was okay, she noted several healing scars easily visible, running along the feathers. Still, it felt worse than it looked. "Hey, Pinkie, where did you say Twilight was? I need to give her back the Element that Princess Luna left for me."

"Her and Princess Celestia went to the fair to catch the begining of the archery competition. I think they should be there by now... Oh! I need to talk to Rarity about the awesome decorations we need to get for the party!"

Rainbow opened her mouth to speak, but by the time words formulated, Pinkie had disappeared in a blur of pink hair, off towards Rarity's shop. "T-thanks..."


Rainbow stepped through the main gates to the fair grounds for the first time, and was awed. It was much larger than she would have thought, and bustling with enough ponies to almost convince her she was in Canterlot. She followed the general flow of the crowd, hoping that they would lead her to wherever the archery competition was being held.

Soon, she arrived at an open, grassy field, surrounded by banners and flanked by stands for the crowds on three sides. Circular, wooden targets were set up on the side of the field that didn't have any bleachers. Across from the targets, ponies with bows and quivers were taking practice shots, warming up for the coming competition. Moving behind the archers, Rainbow saw Princess Celestia and Twilight, speaking to the competitors individually. Rainbow headed towards them, following a pair of Royal Guards who seemed to be heading the same direction. The pegasus tried to hide behind the two guards, trying to get close enough to surprise her unsuspecting friend, but only a few yards away, the wind picked up and blew bits of her rainbow mane and tail to the side.

"Rainbow!" Twilight cheered, using her magic to pull her friend out from behind the guards, and into a hug. She looked over her friend, seemingly to make sure it really was her. "Where's your bandage?"

"I took it off." Rainbow shrugged. "Guess I forgot to put another one on."

"Rainbow... you know that's not good. You need to keep it wrapped up and protected so nothing happens..."

"I know... but I hate that stupid bandage. I can't do anything with it on."

"And with it off, it'll be even longer before you can fly again. Do you want that?"

"No..."

"Okay, then next chance we get we're getting your wing bandaged. Though, I'll admit it does look better than I had expected."

Princess Celestia cantered over to join the conversation after finishing one with a competitor. "Hello, Rainbow Dash, it's good to see you once more." Rainbow bowed slightly. "I hope you're feeling better than you did last night?"

"Yes, Princess, I definitely feel a lot better."

"Good to hear. I see you brought your Element of Loyalty." Rainbow nodded. "And don't worry, the Guard is on there way to arrest Soarin' and Cloud Maker as we speak, and they're looking for Applejack."

"W-what about Phantom?"

"We're looking for him too. Thanks to you and my sister, we believe we know where they are. We should receive word about them some time soon—"

"Princess, watch out!" a stallion voice yelled, cutting Princess Celestia off mid-sentence. The group of mares looked for the source of the voice. Celestia had expected it to be on of her guards, but it didn't sound like one she was familiar with. When the ponies looked, they saw that a guard was froze in place, just a few feet behind Princess Celestia, his mouth open, eyes wide, and a bladed weapon in fetlock. Protruding from his side was a wooden arrow with emerald green fletching, a trickle of blood flowing from the entry wound. Everypony looked on in horror as the guard fell limply to the grass. The crowd had seen what occurred, and was now running and screaming in terror.

A second guard was standing next to the one who was just shot. He also had a bladed weapon in hand, an evil look on his muzzle, and was approaching the Princess.

"What are you doing?" Princess Celestia demanded the guard to answer. He said nothing. "How dare you draw a weapon on me?" Her horn, along with Twilight's, began to glow, readying for an attack. "Stand. Down." Celestia ordered.

"Time for new leadership..." the guard taunted. Just as he lunged forward, he fell to the ground, an arrow identical to the first stuck in his side. A new stallion approached the two dead guards. He was a white-coated earth pony with a silver mane, and a cutie mark depicting a wooden arrow with green fletching being shot from a bow. Slung over his back, was a bow and a collection of arrows in a quiver. Twilight leapt in front of Princess Celestia, her horn charged and ready, Rainbow at her side.

"Stay back," the pair warned the stallion, who stopped in place and stared at them with his sapphire eyes.

"Twiley, wait!" Shining yelled, charging down to the scene from the dispersing crowd. Twilight and Rainbow deflated instantly, looking at second white stallion who was arriving on scene. Shining immediately gravitated towards the other white stallion, getting inches away from his muzzle. "You have approximately three seconds to explain to me what just happened, Corporal!" he yelled.

"Corporal?" Rainbow and Twilight gasped in unison.

"Captain," the Corporal began to explain, "these guards were attempting to assassinate Princess Celestia. Though my orders were to protect Princess Sparkle, I assumed you would accept this intervention as well."

"Shining..." Twilight spoke. "Who is this? Why were his orders to protect me?"

Shining sighed. "Twiley, you remember how I told you Phantom was Rainbow Dash's bodyguard? Well, this is Archer, your bodyguard." He indicated towards the second white stallion, Archer, who nodded at the mares. "Any idea why they would suddenly do something like this?"

"Well, sir, I don't believe they're actually guards."

"How do you mean?"

Archer stepped over to the first guard he shot, wrapped his fetlock around the shaft of the air imbedded in the side of the guard's armor, and easily pulled it out, its tip a crimson color. "Our standard armor is made of steel. This arrow can not penetrate steel." Archer threw the arrow haphazardly to the ground.

"Hmm..." Shining's horn lit up, and emanated a quick, blinding flash. When it ended, something was different about the scene. The bodies of the guards were different. Instead of the once peaceful, stern-looking stallions they once were, now, they were... Changelings...

Rainbow took several steps back, horror being the predominate expression on her muzzle. "No..."

Author's Note:

Update!
Getting right to it: Sorry it took so long. As I said awhile back, I took a small hiatus to work on Birthday Dash, which, turned into a dismal failure, but served it's purpose as a prologue, whose intention will be revealed in the next few chapters. Sadly though, those next few chapters, will likely be the last.
Yes, Broken Feathers is coming to an end...
BUT... Broken Feathers: Equestrian North is the sequel to this story, and I've already begun to write notes for. So, I'll be hurrying to finish this story, then dive right into the next one!
Moving on: This chapter is longer than most others, and a lot has happened in it, story wise, which is always my intentions! Yay! Though, there is a fair bit more dialogue than I would have preferred, but, that's how I write so I (and you) will deal with it.
Archer was FINALLY introduced... I had been holding back this moment for awhile, waiting for a good time to do it so this seemed as good as any. If you're wondering, he is/was supposed to be a main character. If he's not in this one, he certainly will in the next story. I still have one more character I want to reveal but I don't know if I'll do it now, or wait for the sequel.
Also, I plan on ending this story with a 'shocker' of an ending. Hopefully, y'all will understand the significance of it and have the intended reactions, serving your memories prove useful, but don't fear, I'll provide enough details to hopefully ring those bells of yours.
Hope you guys enjoyed this chapter, and the overal story thus far!
Up next: There's a slight change in plans...