• Published 12th Jul 2013
  • 368 Views, 6 Comments

Never Forget - Zuke117



A story about an orphan who is taken in by a family which has a Philly who suffers from cancer. Between helping her and dealing with the school bully and a father who generally disapproves of him, he has a hard life.

  • ...
 6
 368

Chapter 6: Calla Flower

“I win!” Aster shouted as he beat Severus in another game of War.

“Lucky… “

The phone began to ring as Lily got up from her position at the side lines.

“Okay boys, once I get this call it will be my turn to beat you AGAIN Aster.” She snickered competitively.

But the game didn’t continue. Before Aster knew it, they where on their way to the hospital. What had happened was Auburn had called telling the family that if they ever wanted to see their daughter alive again to come today. So the family cleared up their schedule and they did.

When they had reached room 233 of Princess Cadence’s Foal Hospital they weren’t surprised that she wasn’t awake, as Auburn told them she had fallen into a bit of a coma. They went in turns as they where allowed to only have two visitors in a room at a time. Severus came out with Lily who was drooping over his shoulder in tears.

Aster was just about to enter when something stopped him. Upon looking left, he spotted a black with dark grey mane lithe stallion heading his way towards them. The stallion bore a top hat and the same color eyes of Lily, a deep amber. He stopped as he watched them for a second or two and after a few seconds of looking around, Aster saw that Severus was giving him a snake-like glare.

“Who... is he?” questioned Aster, as he turned his head back towards the black stallion who’s cutie mark seemed to be a paint brush.

“That is Luo, her brother.”

He paused, remembering how Severus had spoke of his name when he was at the adoption phase all the way back to when he was still considered an orphan. Silently he sidestepped as Luo walked his way through the crowd and into Calla’s room. For a second of silent mystification Aster watched in harmony, but then trotted in there after him.

“So, you’re Luo?”

“Yes, it makes sense if he never told you about me.”

“Why? Why doesn’t Severus like you?”

“Well, I guess you could say I never lived up to his expeditions.” Luo said as he shied away from Aster who shut the door.

“But who are you?”

“Calla’s new brother. Well.. for the past few months actually but still the same.” He said as he went over and sat on the free stool.

Getting a chance to look over Luo more now, he saw that he also had a black suit on and that around his top hat was that of a calla flower. He found it quite fitting considering it was the flower Calla was named after. Twisting his attention towards the Calla that laid silently on the table before him, he looked down as he watched as Luo placed forth his had atop her stomach and undid the flower in order to place it upon his sister’s chest.

“Can you tell me everything?”

“Well, not if you’re so vague.” Luo said with a smile, turning towards Aster.

“About the family and you.”

“Well, a long time ago Severus was working for the factory and was working on the hundred ton table right?”

“What is a hundred ton table?”

“It’s a... thing. Okay? It just is. Either way he slipped and landed on a base and lets just say it damaged his stallionhood.”

“So that is why they adopt?”

“Yeah, that’s why they adopted you and Calla.”

“O-wait, me and Calla?” Aster questioned, blinking.

“Yeah, Calla was an orphan once too. Her parents couldn’t pay for her chemotherapy so they prayed and dropped her off at the orphanage… just hoping.”

Aster turned and looked upon Calla, so still and silent but breathing. She hadn’t lost the warmth of her body yet, but he figured it wouldn’t be long now.

“And what about you?”

“Well, when I was younger I tended to… well, exploit their money. They had already adopted Calla before I left and I guess I thought I had a natural advantage simply because I was actually related to him. Of course, I didn’t, and went to far. Severus kicked me out after I got in a fight with Lily for… “Replacing” Calla’s chemotherapy money.”

Aster paused, blinking as he turned to stare at Luo.

“I know, its pretty bad… but still. They kicked me out on my tail and I’m better off for it now.”

Aster turned towards the silent Philly before him, and forlornly he got off his stool.

“Where you going?” Asked Luo as he turned towards Aster.

“Leaving… “ Aster said as he walked out the door, leaving Luo with Calla. He had too much to think about to stay here. Either way, it was a bit depressing.