• Published 14th Jul 2013
  • 965 Views, 35 Comments

Don't Leave Me Now - Harmony_Charmer



Princess Celestia is sick, and she may die. She summons Twilight Sparkle to her bedside. Will Twilight lose her beloved mentor?

  • ...
4
 35
 965

Final Farewells

The six friends all piled into Zecora's little tree house, cramming into the tiny room, brushing sides. The zebra sat in the middle of the room, staring glumly into each of the ponies eyes. Each, except for Rainbow Dash.

"I am sorry it has come to this. But the choice didn't have much of a list. Rainbow Dash is the only one, and the potion is almost done." She swung her head at Twilight. "How do you feel about this young pony? Celestia is laying in her room, quite pale, and quite bony. She lay there all alone in bed. Coughing, staining her sheets red." Zecora finally looked deep into Rainbow Dash's eyes. "Young pony, do you wish to die? So the princess can once more fly?"

"Now hold on one minute!" All eyes went to Rarity, her sudden outburst bringing a slight blush to her ivory cheeks. "Isn't there another way? Zecora, PLEASE!" She forced out the word so much, a deep rumble pushed out, causing the word to growl. Zecora flinched.

"I am sorry, but there is no other way. If you don't hurry, the sun will grey. Without the goddess to protect, the power of the sun will be wrecked." She lowered and shook her head slowly.

"So, Rainbow Dash will die?" A sad voice drifted around the room, from a deflated Pinkie Pie. Her hair no longer a mess of curls and springs, but a small pink waterfall, pin straight hair hanging to her hunched shoulders. Her blue eyes filled with tears, looked at Zecora pleadingly. "Who will I do pranks with now?" She sniffled, a single tear sliding down her cheek. Rainbow Dash zipped over and hugged her sobbing friend.

"I'm so sorry, Pinkie." She whispered into the pink hair.

***

Luna sat beside her sister, watching her chest rise and fall with her raspy breaths. Her hair was turning grey, barely even blowing in the wind. it just hung off the bed like any other pony's mane might have. Celestia's hair was supposed to wave in non-existent wind, like Luna's mane and tail. The very thought that she was losing her sister brought fiery tears to her eyes. She remembered Twilight Sparkle's words. Please, hold on for me! I will be back in one day. Luna held onto those words with her very existence. The sun was already going down towards the horizon, Luna had done it herself. Twilight was not one to give up on those she cared about. Luna heard a disturbance behind the barred doors, and wiped her face, putting up a wall of an emotionless steel.

The doors burst open, and a white stallion barged in. His hair ruffled, yet perfectly wavy, tore behind him like a cape. His blue eyes were painted with worry, and tears spilled down his cheeks. On his flank, rippling with muscles, was a simple compass rose, a diamond of gold, like his mane, and spires of lilac poking out behind them. He wore a collar and bow-tie, with a daisy pinned to the side, which ripped off with the sudden speed. The daisy floated to the floor, and rested there.

"Prince Blueblood!" She smiled sadly. He ran past her, shoving her over so he could sit beside Luna's sister. Her blood boiled, but she managed to keep her emotions in check. Although he could be a royal pain, he was family, and rude by nature. He bowed his head and started mumbling to himself. Luna glanced over and saw his sturdy shoulders shaking with sobs. Her gaze softened. Luna trotted over to Prince Blueblood, and gently tapped him on the shoulder.

"May I sit with thou?" Luna gazed into his bright eyes, shining with tears. He nodded and she sat, tucking her wings to her waist. "It helps to talk about thou problems," Luna prompt. Blueblood sighed.

"All of my life," He began. "I've pushed people away. I am a rude, disrespectful unicorn. But, that's an act." He gazed up into Luna's eyes, pleading, and Luna could read his message, please do not tell anyone about this. She nodded, and he continued, "I'm afraid that, since I am a prince and full of riches, people will treat me differently. They will take... advantage, let's say... of my wealth. So I've forced them to be repulsed by me, to think I am the most dishonorable prince in all of Equestria.

"Yet, when I first met Princess Celestia, she was kind, regal." Blueblood grinned through his tears. "As much as I tried, and trust me, I tried, and I tried, but she would always say, 'dearest Blueblood. I see into your heart, and I see a prince, strong and true.'" The prince lowered his head and laughed weakly.

"Finally, when I dropped the act, we became fast friends. I look up to her. I respect her, as no one else has ever done to me before. I don't allow others into my life. She was the first pony that I've ever actually accepted. And now she's dying. The only person who's accepted me. Seen behind my crude act, pushed, and crumbled my walls with her kindness, bashed down my doors with her voice. And now, the only person whom I thought who couldn't die, other than you of course, is being ripped from me. Torn from her immortal strands, although she still holds on, she's weak. I do not know who she is holding on for, however. How do you say goodbye if you don't even know if they'll hear you?"

Luna waited for a while, then realized he was done speaking. "For all it's worth," she said quietly, kissing his cheek, "I accept you." She walked out of the room, leaving prince Blueblood with his thoughts.

***

Zecora led them further into the Evergreen forest, off the trail, through gnarly roots, and hanging branches. Twilight was shocked. Through all of the dirt, and leaves that fell from the sky, she hadn't heard even a small gasp from Rarity. She glanced back multiple times, gob-struck each time. Rarity's head was held high, occasionally ducking under leaves. Her mascara smudged from dewdrops and tears, smearing down her face and up her cheekbones, and her face was scratched up and bloody, little raindrops of red dripped down her face. Mud covered her hooves, and her mane and tail her cut unevenly, thorns tearing off chunks of hair. Twilight saw that everypony else looked the same, yet it looked... planned on Rarity. She pulled it off. She probably thinks that her pain doesn't matter as much now, as Rainbow Dash is off to have her life taken away, Twilight thought to herself. And although Rainbow's head was held high as well, Her eyes were flooded with fear, and nervousness.

Zecora slowed her pace when they reached a large clearing set up with torches ringing the center. A large, wooden table was set up in the middle of the torches, shadows dancing on the top. A large, pointy stake was set off to the side, along with a large butcher knife. Immediately, Twilight felt sick. She heard gasps of shock from everypony. Rainbow Dash started to weep, not even caring about her last impressions, yet it was her friends, so it didn't matter anyway. Twilight stumbled up to her friend and embraced her, pulling her down to the ground. Fluttershy, who was a crying mess, came up and snuggled with her friend as well. As Pinkie Pie, Applejack, and Rarity joined, they ended up sitting down, surrounding Rainbow Dash, and became one big blubbering mess.

After Twilight and everypony else calmed down, they stood in a defiant line, facing Rainbow Dash's death together. Rainbow, with tears in her eyes, began to slowly walk up the steps.