• Published 7th Jul 2013
  • 646 Views, 23 Comments

The Evil We Bring - bosco438



Ever wonder what happens when you cross a penguin-loving Neo-Nazi with a New Lunar Republic rebel? Well so do I but that's not what this story is about. First fic, I've written, and looking for constructive criticism.

  • ...
6
 23
 646

Chapter One: Family Reunion

Chapter One: Family Reunion

Bosco was walking down a dark alley way, during the earlier hours of the morning. The rain was falling hard from the pitch black sky, making the patter of little droplets hitting the pavement, and pings against the metal dumpsters overflowing with filth. The only lighting came from the end of the alley Bosco was walking from, his boots making splashes in the puddles as he trudged through at a brisk pace. He had a timetable to keep, and there was not going to be another opportunity like the one before him tonight.
He slightly opened his leather jacket and felt for his Beretta holstered on the inside, his source of protection and comfort for the night. He felt his fingers grasp the studded grip of his pistol and he brought his hand back out and put it in his jacket pocket.

He felt anticipation for what was about to happen. The preparation he had put in for this was minimal, but there wasn't time to prepare, for after a few short hours this opportunity would be lost. He quickened hi pace as he neared the other side of the alley.

As he got close to exiting the dark crevice, he started to hear voices, and he slowed and crouched at the corner of the wall and listened.

“-ow what man? You know we can’t stay here, the Cops know where we at.”

“I know bro, and don’t worry my cousin is on his way right now. He’ll grab us and we outta this bitch. We cross tha borda and no one eva catches us.”
The voices sounded like they belonged to men around their twenties. The first voice less deep than the second one and sounded somewhat scratchy. The second voice sounded like it belonged to a NFL linebacker.

Bosco tensed up a bit. The first voice belonged to the person he was looking for. He heard the two men separate from one another and he turned out of the alley and stepped toward-

***

In The Skies Of Iraq: August 29 1100

Bosco woke up with a jerk from Helicopter as it caught some turbulence in its trip across the skies of Iraq. Startled at being awoken so suddenly, he looked around frantically for half a second as he got his bearings. He was in a U.S. military Blackhawk. This much he remembered as he heard the chopping sound of the helicopters rotor wings cut through the sky towards their destination.

Looking out of the open side door of the chopper he saw an expanse of nothing but desert, with tufts of sand blowing about occasionally from the winds and the chopper as it passed over. The sun beating down on the sands made it harsh to look at. Not there was much to look at, unless you wanted to see endless wastes.

Grasping his AR-15 that was slung to his torso, Bosco took a slow breath in and out, his bearings restored. He was suited up in his desert camouflage utilities, flak jacket strapped to his chest with pouches attached and filled. 3 ammo pouches on his left side, each filled with 2 magazines of 30 rounds. 2 ammo pouches on his right, each with 2 magazines as well, a first aid kit and two canteens on the back. His trusty 1911 was holstered on his right thigh, with 4 spare magazines for it strapped to his left. This was the basic load that he brought with him to every job. The rest of the gear he had was in the rucksack in next to his seat, and strapped down tightly for the duration of the flight. All of his clothes and non-essential item he had left back in his apartment in Erbil.

The pilot and co-pilot of the aircraft were both focused on their task of safely getting them from point A to point B, which was a small U.S. Military outpost on the outskirts of Soran. The co-pilot looked back at Bosco and gave a frown.

“You alright buddy?” He asked him over the sound of the helicopter.

“Yeah, yeah I’m fine.” Bosco Replied calmly.

“Alright, just looked like you had a bad dream or something.” The co-pilot said, returning his focus to the controls.

“Yeah…something like that” Bosco muttered.

He never remembered his dreams, but this wasn’t a dream. It was worse, much worse. It was real.
He shook his head to clear his thoughts. “What’s our ETA to the destination?” Bosco asked as he looked out the open door again. This time he could make out a city hidden in the sands out in the distance. He figured that that must be Soran.

“About 6 minutes out. You’re lucky we were headed out this way, it would have been at least a 6 hour drive.” The co-pilot responded.

“Well it was either beg for a ride from you guys, or suffer a long uncomfortable ride with a stuffy Army Colonel with his nose so far up his own ass he’ll never stop smelling shit.” That and Bosco used to work for the bastard. He didn’t need the guy thinking he could order him around again.

“Ha ha. Yeah I see where you coming from buddy.” The co-pilot then hit a button on the control board and Fortunate Son started playing over the helicopters speakers. Bosco grinned at his choice.

“Hey what are we, in Nam or something?” Bosco asked jokingly. The co-pilot didn’t answer. That was fine with him. He liked the song and would rather just listen as they flew in on final approach.

The outpost was under them before Bosco knew it. They flew over the outer wall of hesco barriers that made the perimeter of the small outpost. In all honesty, it looked more like a trailer park than anything military related, except for the few Humvees and Soldiers all over the area.

Once the Blackhawk was over the ‘Helipad’, they slowly made their decent. There was a group of soldiers with their blouses off, nearby ready to load the chopper with the cargo that was meant to be sent back to choppers place of origin. The only reason Bosco was able to hitch a ride was because he happened along them as they were taking off, and as said before, he did not want to endure his original escort.

As soon as the wheels touched down he thanked the Pilots for the lift, grabbed his bad and his rifle and took off past the soldiers as they loaded whatever it was in the heavy looking green crates. Some of the soldiers gave him funny looks, but just kept walking on. He knew where he had to be as military outposts usually kept the same layout. That and the outpost was small, maybe a football field and a half.

Bosco now started feeling the heat of the desert pressing down on him, all the 110 withering degrees of it. Nothing he hadn’t felt before, but it took some acclimation to get used to. That took about a month however, and as it stood now, with him in full combat load, he was already starting to soak through his utilities with sweat. His hair was already starting to mat against his head with sweat under his Kevlar. He grabbed one of his canteens and took a sip of water as he made his way towards the command trailer. It was indistinguishable from all the other trailers on the complex, except for the old stars and stripes waving in the wind on the flagpole in front of it. Not really subtle when you thing about it.

Bosco saluted the colors as he walked past, stepped up to the trailer door, pulled it open and stepped inside. As soon as he did he felt the air temperature drop by about 20 degrees. Aside from that the trailer did not look very comforting. I was rather dim inside, and it took about a minute for his eyes to adjust to the lower light, considering how bright it was outside. The tile floor could have been white at one point but he couldn’t tell through all the boot prints, stains, and sand covering it. There was a disgruntled looking captain sitting at a rectangular desk some ten feet from the door. Bosco walked up to him.
If he were still enlisted he would have come to attention and reported in…but he wasn’t any more. He walked up to the desk; rifle slung to his back, and leaned on the desk. “Sup?” he said nonchalantly.
The captain, Greewood according to his nametape, gave him a deadpan expression as he addressed this invader of his personal domain.

“Can I help you?” He asked. Bosco was impressed. Usually military types mistook him for a Marine, which he was, just not active anymore. It was the cammies. Greenwoods response however told him that he knew that he couldn’t order him around. That was going to make things sooo much easier for him.

“I’m the PMC who was hired to protect that Journalist while you guys are playing war” Bosco said with a grin. “Know where I can find him so I can get to work?”

“Opposite end of the camp, trailer 120.” Greenwood replied. He then got back to reviewing the documents spread across his desk. Bosco, satisfied that for once he was able to get something from a military officer gave the Captain a halfhearted salute and made his way towards the door. Before he stepped out the Captain spoke up again. “Between you and me, we aren’t going to be ‘playing’ for much longer.” Bosco stopped in his tracks and looked over his shoulder at him. Greenwoods stare could have turned a cockatrice to stone, with amount of intensity and seriousness on his face. “Better keep that little story writer safe.” And once again turned back to his documents.

Bosco stood there and processed that for a few seconds, then stepped back out into the sweltering desert heat. It didn’t take a genius to figure out what he meant by that. Apparently tensions were higher between Iran and the U.S. than anybody actually realized, and these drills weren’t actually going to be drills at all. He figured 100 grand for escorting a journalist around was a bit much. Now he was going to have his work cut out for him.
Mabye I’ll get lucky and the first combat action of this war was going to be a scouting mission to some tiny little research center in the buttfuck of nowhere.’ He thought as he made his way down the gravel path that made its way through the outpost. He passed a platoon of soldiers, all looking tired and worn out, and some complaining about the unforgiving heat. He guessed they had just got back from a patrol. Slightly farther ahead a convoy of Humvees and LAV’s pulled into the main gate and turned into the small motor pool. They left a long dust trail in their wake behind them.

Bosco took off his helmet and clipped it clipped it to his Flak. ‘Surprised that captain saw fit to share that info with me.’ He thought. ‘Not like I wouldn’t found out soon enough but still.’ He was now close to the journalist’s trailer, as he passed by 118 then 119. ‘I wonder what other surprises I’m in for. The middle east seems to send me a new one every time I come.’ He stopped in front of trailer 120 and just stared out into the sky for a few moments. He was legitimately worried he would get back to the states alive this time. This job would be the most dangerous one he ever took.

He put his hand in his pocket and pulled out a little plastic figure of Rainbow Dash. The figure meant a lot to him, as it was the last gift he had received from his little brothers before Daniel made them stop seeing him. The little cyan equine always gave him a small degree of comfort. He felt that just having it with him gave him some form of protection. He ran a finger of the rainbow colored man. Dash’s face had the cocky and confident grin that she often worn in the show. It caused him to give a grin of his own. After another moment he placed the Rainbow Dash figurine in his the pound of his left shoulder, making it so her head peered out over the flap. He had the grenade pouch for just this purpose. He could get ahold of grenades, and even if he could if he was ever in a job that needed them his employers had lied to him about the jobs seriousness. Luckily that never happened, at least not to him. So instead he had Dash come along for the ride. It made him feel as if he wasn’t by himself.

A slight worry came over him as he could only guess to which unit this journalist would get attached to. He prayed that it wasn’t one of the ones that would undoubtedly be crossing the Iranian border. That was something he couldn’t control though, so he would have to roll with convoy if that were the case. He hadn’t actually seen combat when he was with the Marines, but he’d much rather see combat with them than these Army cats. Marines could actually be depended on to accomplish a mission. He may have been somewhat biased in his opinion, but to honest the army had a horrible track record when it came to fire efficiency, and fighting spirit. A Marine could always be depended on to accomplish the mission and always fought to their last if it meant getting the guy next to them home.

“Well, let’s go meet the customer.” He said. As he turned around to enter to enter the trailer, an Army Sergeant was walking down the dirt path. Bosco didn’t see him in time and the both crashed right into each other. They both fell flat on their asses, landing right on their tail bones. Needless to say, they both felt it.

“SON OF BITCH” they both yelled out.

Some of the other soldiers had taken notice of who Bosco had run into and began to walk over.

“Ohhhh you’re about to get it son!” Bosco couldn’t see who the voice belonged to, but he could reason by his outburst he had run into the ‘Wrong Person’.

Bosco quickly stood up and looked up to see just who he had offended, the pain in his ass already a fading memory. He was intimidated to say the least. This man was a beast. Bosco one stood up to his pecks. He could see his bulging arms through his blouse. If he had to guess, he’d so this mad was about 230 lbs. The man looked angry to say the least. His face looked as though it were saying ‘You done fucked up’. It was obvious that things were probably to get physical if he didn’t try to deescalate the situation. Bosco didn’t want to fight if he didn’t have to, and nobody needed this scene to carry on. It was become apparent that would be had as a small ring of soldiers had already gathered in a circle around the two of them making a small arena. ‘Yeah, don’t need this shit right now

Bosco attempted to negotiate with this goliath. “Hey, sorry about that. Didn’t see you come out of there.” He waited for a response…and waited…and waited…

“Kick that small fries ass Sanchez!” One of the soldiers shouted. ‘Fuck my life’ Bosco thought, and crouched into a basic fighting stance with his hands protecting his face and feet squared to his opponent, and leaped back a few feet to get some distance between them.

Goliath just cracked his knuckles and started to walk after him. While he had time Bosco assessed him. It was obvious that one hit from this man would make him take a nap. His reach was much longer than his, and he (no shit) far taller than him. From his bearing though, this man seemed very confident. He wasn’t even in any semblance of a fighting stance as he approached. Cocky. Bosco guessed that Goliath figured he could take him in one punch. It was true, but he wasn’t thinking about him putting up much of a fight if that were the case, and that was all Bosco needed to be able to surprise him.

When Goliath was about 3 yards away he rushed the last of the distance, raising his right arm for a haymaker. ‘Time for your surprise a hole’ Bosco though and quickly did a split, with the battering ram of an arm flying harmlessly over his head. As it sailed over Bosco brought his left arm up and into the man’s crotch. The result was Goliath crouching forward, bringing both his hand to cover his “Precious Gems”. Bosco then jumped up and brought his right arm right up into the man’s jaw which was now on his level. His fist connected, and he felt as Goliath’s jaw bone made contact with his knuckles. He heard a crack come from his face. Goliath’s eyes rolled into the back of his head as he started to fall backwards. The ground shook a bit as he landed eagle spread on the dirt. The whole exchange was over in a matter of 3 seconds.

Bosco was taking quicker breaths do to the heightened adrenaline levels in his body. He didn’t break his stance, as the soldiers surrounding him and their fallen comrade. You could feel the tension in the air. Apparently this Sanchez guy held a lot of respect with all these young men. Not fear, actual respect, and Bosco could see it. There was only one thing people wanted to do when a peer that they respected got knocked out by some guy that they don’t know. ‘Oh please no’ Bosco thought.

“Stomp this short fucker!” one yelled out, and the ring of 12 soldiers was suddenly closing on him. ‘God DAMN IT MURPHEY!

Bosco now went into slow motion as his aggressors moved in on him, or it at least seemed like time slowed down. He now had to depend on the instincts instilled on him by his training, from both the Marines and his last 4 years in the Dojo.
As the first soldiers arm come at his face, Bosco grasped it, and twisted it so he was turned around and pulled him in front of his fellow that came at Bosco on his right. As his comrades punch connected with his fellows face, Bosco then Threw I kick behind himself the get the third soldier coming from him behind, hitting him square in the sternum. The two men both went down, the one behind Bosco clutching his stomach area wheezing for breath, and the once in from collapsing like a rag doll. While the second man was still surprised at knocking out his buddy, Bosco took advantage by stepping up right in front of him, grabbing his right arm and pulling him towards him. While he did this, he lifted his right leg up and kicked his opponent’s foot out from under him. With his balance lost, the soldier fell flat on his back. Bosco quickly followed up with a boot to his chest. The man gasped for breath as the wind was knocked out of him.

Taking advantage of his momentary upper hand, due to the shock of him putting up more of a fight than they thought him capable of, Bosco moved on to his next two victims. The first man didn’t put his arms up in time to block as Bosco elbow came up and hit him in the jaw. He fell backwards from the blow, hit the ground and didn’t move. ‘Lucky me, out cold’ Bosco thought. He then focused on his next victim who was a bit more prepared. He blocked the first two punched that were sent his way, and sent out his own. Bosco used his right arm to block the blow and using the momentum of his opponent to turn him around. With the soldiers back now to him, Bosco kicked the back of his knee to force him down. Once there Bosco through a knee to the back of the soldiers head, and loud ‘thunk’ could be heard. The man fell forward. Not knocked out, but dazed enough that he wouldn’t be getting up for a while. ‘Ok, five down’ Bosco thought. ‘…fuck, eight to go.

As Bosco turned to face his remaining aggressors, a fist flew towards his face. He barely had time to parry it as another came at him. This one he could not block and it hit him in the cheek. He stumble a bit and leaped back to gain some distance from his foes. They all looked serious now, as they realized the threat he actually posed. Bosco took noted the pain from where he was hit, as it started to bruise. He got lucky that the punch was delivered poorly, but he made the mistake of losing tack of all his opponents. ‘If they wanna get serious about this, I will to.’ With that, he retook his fighting stance.

“Come at me bro!” he taunted. They complied.

The rest was a blur of motion with Bosco throwing out punches and kicks when an opening in presented itself, and parrying blocking and turning away all the attacks that were sent his way. As his hits connected, another of the soldiers would fall out of the fight. The attacks all sent Bosco’s way, were all either deflected, or blocked. This went on until only three of the Soldiers were left.
Alright, I got this. LERRRRRRRRRRRROY-' Bosco yelled in his head as he made a battle cry charge the last of his targets…before tripping over one of the unconscious soldiers boots.

“SHIT!” He yelled as he started to stumble. While he was stumbling, two of the soldiers rushed in from both sides and grabbed one of his arms. This ceased his falling motion. While he knew he was in a disadvantage now as his arms were held at length to his sides, he appreciated being saved from falling flat on his face. He looked to the man on his left and said “Hey, thanks chum.”

The soldier put on a look of confusion before responding. “Uhh…no problem?”

The last soldier then walked up and slugged Bosco right in the stomach. “Guuah” Bosco doubled over from the blow, but was held up by the two soldiers holding his arms. The pain in his stomach wasn’t that bad and he regained his senses quickly. As a second blow came towards his face Bosco kicked up both his feet towards the attacker, his boots connecting with his forehead. The soldier fell on his back and clutching his head, having just gotten one of the worst migraines in his life.

When Bosco’s feet touched the ground again, the soldiers were once again in shock from the miraculous attack. He took advantage by biting the soldier on his right on the hand. The surprise alone was enough for the soldier to let go of his hand. Once it was free Bosco threw a fist into the last soldier on his lefts face.

“Dude that mother fucker bit me!” the one said.

“Ah, Christ my FACE, SHIT” the other said.

“DUUDE I need some aspirin” The one on the ground clutching his head said.
Bosco stood there in his fighting stance once again, waiting to see what they would do. All around were soldiers on the ground, either unconscious or nursing some type of injury. The two left on their feet stared back at him.

“…”

“…”

“…”

“…”

“…so yeah, are we still going to have a problem?” Bosco asked.

“You know what, I think we’re good. Heh Heh” The one with the bite marks on his hand replied nervously.

“Yeah, sorry about the whole trying to beat the shit outa you thing bro” The other said holding his face and sporting a nervous smile”

“Great” Bosco said resuming a normal pose. “Want any help taking care of your buds?” he said gesturing to the circle of soldiers on the ground around them.

“N-no. We can take care of them.” The bitten one said.

“Alright then, I’m taking off then. Catch you later.” Bosco then started going towards the trailer.

“Shit that guys insane” He heard them whisper too each other.

“WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU ALL DOING LYING AROUND?!” A new voice threw in.
Bosco didn’t wait around to find out what would happen. He opened the trailer door and stepping inside.

***

When he got into the trailer there was nobody inside to great him. The only sounds after the door shut latched as it closed was the sound of the AC uniting in the window, and a small refrigerator in the back corner in a small kitchen area, with a counter and sink, as well as a microwave. There were dishes stacked in a drying rack in next to the sink.

The main body of the trailer was the living room plus bedroom, with a simple metal bunk bed against the wall and a pair of fold out chairs in the center of in front of a foldout table which held a pair of laptops plugged into a powers strips on the wall. Under the bed there were traveling bags that were set up as impromptu dressers. Bosco wondered why the owners would do this, until he looked at the closet and fount that it was filled with an assortment of cameras and filming equipment. It really wasn’t that much gear, but the closet was small so all the space was taken up by it. Next to the closet was the door to the bathroom. A look inside revealed an extremely cramped space with a few towels on racks in the side of the wall, a little porcelain ‘Throne’ for you so ‘Drop off the browns’, and a shower stall. There was no sink so he guessed that the one in the kitchen served for the purpose of brushing teeth and shaving as well. The only two windows in the rooms were on opposite ends of each other. One above the sink in the kitchen, and the other on the other side with the AC unit humming away as it did its daunting task of keeping the space cool in the desert heat. It was a cramped little place, but it was at least cleaner than how the captain kept his office.

Seeing as his charge was not here at the moment, doing whatever journalist stuff they did like talking to the locals or whatever, Bosco decided he would take the liberty of making himself at home. He walked over to the closet and dropped his rucksack next to it, unslung his rifle and leaned it against the wall, took Rainbow out if his grenade pouch, and took off his flak. Once it was off he set it over neatly on top of the pack, walked over to the table and put the equine figurine on the table. After that he pulled over one of the collapsible chairs and sat down, letting the AC cool him off. He had worked up a good sweat from his tussle outside. He really needed a shower.

About 15 minutes passed with Bosco pretty much sitting at the table daydreaming. He did that a lot when he was bored and he had nothing to do. It helped him pass the time. His current line of thought was along the lines of what he would do if monkeys tried stealing his guns. ‘If a monkey comes in here and tries stealing my guns I’d be pretty fucking pissed. Little bastard would probably try to sling his shit at me while he did it to. Jokes on him though, cause I’ll throw rocks at that sunavbitch. Shit washes out, but if I hit him in the head with a rock then I can crack his skull and do some permanent damage. God hate monkeys can’t trust the bastards. Only other species with thumbs, so if it has thumbs it can use tools, and if it can use tools it can start to build a society that will grow and eventually try to overthrow mankind. Rather kill them before that happens. Point a gun up their head and BANG, over… Bang, bang, high, hoe chitty chitty bang bang, chitty chitty bang bang we love you. Ae oh, chitty chitty bang bang, chiity chitty bang bang loves me to. Fuck this guy’s taking forever to get back. I’m taking I shower.

With his little bout of insanity over he got up walked over to his rucksack and got out a fresh set of skivvies and under shirt and socks. He would not be using fresh set of utilities because he only had two sets of deserts. You can’t wash them every day in the field anyway, so you get used to putting on the grimy pair for maybe a month at a time before switching over the other pair. And if you hadn’t been back to a place with a washer or dryer in a while then that pair was probably dirty as well. As nasty as it felt to do it he would be reusing the utilities from today for probably a few days. The stay over here was only supposed to go for about a week anyway before they moved onto their next story in some other country.

Bosco walked over to the table and turned the figure of Rainbow Dash around so that she was facing away from him. He then got to stripping down to his birthday suit, right in the middle of the room. Once done he deposited his soiled skivvies next to his pack and placed the fresh pair on one of the towel racks with his utilities. He then walked back to his rucksack and got out his showering gel and shampoo. He had gotten used to walking around his apartment naked after living in apartment by himself for so long. ‘It’d be funny if they walked in right now. Howdy guy, I’m the one they hired to protect you while you go through a somewhat hostile country. Behold my JUNK and be terrified!’ He chuckled to himself as he walked into the bathroom, shut the door turned on the shower head.

He took a decent 5 minutes to shower. It only really took him a minute and a half, but he just wanted to sit there and soak. The water felt good against his skin as it got all the grime and sweat off of him. He then turned off the shower and quickly got dressed, though he decided to keep his blouse off the keep cool better. He then walked out of the bathroom and resumed his seat at the table turning Rainbow Dash back around to face him. He then went on another 15 minute mental tirade, this time on who decided it would be a good idea to drink the stuff that came out of a cow.

“Uhhhhhhhhhhhh sooooo booooooored” Bosco Lamented. “Where the hell is this guy, girl, or whatever?”

As if in answer the door to the trailer finally creaked open. ‘Shit, finally.’ Bosco stood up and turned to the door to meet his charge. His mouth hung open and eyes went wide as he comprehended what he was seeing.

Two men stood in the doorway. The first was lanky armed with a bit of a pot belly. Not remotely close to being overweight, just that his stomach was round. His dark blonde hair was matted to his head that went down to about neck level. He skin was tanned some, do to his time already spent in the sun, and he had a pair of small round glasses sitting on his longer than average nose on front of his hazel eyes. He was holding a small brief case I one hand and a paper pad in the other. The paper pad was covering in notes and other text. He wore the same expression of shock the Bosco did.

The second man was shorter by about a half a head, but was still about two inches taller than Bosco was. He had a head of dark red, almost orange hair that came over his ears, but didn’t cover his eyes, or go below neck level either. He also sported a goatee. He was a bit more built than the other man as his arms were more toned and shoulders a bit wider. He sported a pair of glasses as well, in the same fashion as the first man, but on a more round average size nose. His eyes were a darker brown. He carried a camera with him in one arm, and a tripod in the other. Bosco also noted the pistol he had holster on his right hip, a Berretta by the looks of it. He to, wore an expression of shock.

The three of them just stood staring at each other mouths agape, until the taller on finally spoke.

“Christopher?”

“Yeah?” Bosco said.

“Is it really you?”

“Last time I checked I am me still, that has never changed. So if I am me you are still you. And you are you, then he is not so…” Bosco paused, and scrapped his thought pattern before it could continue and started again. “Yes, it’s me Evan”

They just stared for another couple of seconds, and then Evan walked over, dropped his things and gave Bosco a hug, which he returned. They just stayed that way for a few moments, and then the broke it up, a single tear coming from Evans face. Bosco then turned to the one still by the door.

“Are you going to give me a hug Daniel, or am I going to have to chase you?” He asked. Daniel seemed break from his shocked trance. He set the tripod standing up by the door and put the camera down in front of the table and walked up to his younger brother. They both stared into each other’s eyes wearing scowls. Evan would have been nervous, but he knew their game. After a couple of seconds of staring Daniel grinned.

“Have to catch me first!” He then started running around the trailer cackling like a madman. Bosco grinned and chased after him, with Evan just smiling and laughing at their antics, even though they made a mess of the place along the way. He was just glad to finally see his older brother again after such a long time, and that Daniel was willing to let his own feelings go, at least for now so that he could enjoy it and see how they used to be.

After the things wound down, and they got all the hugs, and running around out of their system they all sat down at the table, Bosco dragging over his pack to sick on it as they had no extra chairs. The little Dash figure was now joined by a Trixie figurine. This one Evan brought with him wherever he went. No so much because he thought she was ‘Best Pony’ but because she was a gift from Bosco before he left for his first PMC job. It was the last he actually saw of his brother until now, and reminded him that he did care about him.

They all sat and chatted, catching up with each other talking about games they played, cool things that happened to them, and the like. It was just the small talk until they started having the real conversation. Bosco was still hoping that there was some way that they wouldn’t be the people he was protecting, but the odds of that was now zero. He still hoped there was some OTHER journalist in the outpost that was about to cover the units about to cross the Iranian border. He didn’t want his brothers in the kind of danger that would no doubt come if the units got engaged in combat.

The hours passed, and the sun disappeared behind the distant mountains, sending the sky into a deep red at its retreat. Daniel stood up and went over to the kitchen saying he was going to make dinner.

“Is the great chef Daniel going to make some gourmet microwave meals?” He said as Daniel went under one of the counters. When he came back up, he was wearing a chef’s hat and holding a hot plate.

“Oh monsieur, in ordoo to celibrit dis ocasioIN, ve must ave a propuu cooked meal” He said with a kinda French accent. They both liked to practice accents, but French gave them both troubles. “Now be amazed as work my magic.” He went back under the counter got a pot and then went over to the sink and filled it with water. After that he plugged in the hot plate on the counter and then put the pot on top and started gathering ingredients. At this point Bosco stopped paying attention to him, as he figured now would be a good time to ask Evan more directly about why he was here. He turned to face Evan, who was looked at him as though he wanted to ask just as many things as he did.

“Me first” Bosco said. Evan wilted a bit in disappointment, but that quickly left his features.

“Ok. So, question one then?” He asked.

“I KGB, I ask the questions!” Bosco said. Evan laughed at his brother’s random saying. “But seriously, first question: Why are you here?” He asked, though he knew what his brother was going to say.

Evan took a breath and started “The Company I work for wanted me to cover a big story. They say if it’s big enough then I can get big raise in pay. I figures military drill coverage in a high tension area would get me just that. And there’s no other journalists right here, right now, so I will be the only one making a story for this.” He started to speak more excitedly, “And with Daniel here with me I get them most awesome photographer/camera man in the company to work with. We already got some great coverage of the moral of the troops, how they are preparing for the drills and whatnot.” He then looked puzzled. “There was a group of them that looked like they had been put through the ringer, all bruised and beet up looking. I asked for a quick word but they all declined to comment.”

“Yeah they probably just all did a bit of sparring” Bosco said, doing the shifty eyes. “You know, they got to keep training to keep their skills up.” He then leaned forward again and looked Evan in the eyes. “Do you know which unit you’re going to be embedded with?”

Evan scratches the back of his head. “Yeah, 3rd platoon of combat assault company. They take off for some patrol tomorrow morning and aren’t expected to be back for a few weeks” This pretty much confirmed all of Bosco’s fears, and his heart sank. “We roll out with them at around 0400.” He caught the dark look on his brother’s face. “What’s up?”

Bosco had a chance here to try and get his brother to not go through with his chase of this story and keep him out of the future danger. He decided to lay it all out on the table. “It won’t be a simple patrol. They will be going into Iran, and they well be scouting out something important so they can pave the way for invasion. The tension between Iran and the U.S. are beyond getting fixing now. They Iranians have nuclear capabilities, and are actually crazy enough to use them. We will be heading in with what is no doubt going to be the first action of the war.” Bosco let that sink in for a moment. As it did, it had the opposite effect that he wanted as his brother just got more excited.

“YES YES YES YES!” Evan said while jumping around a bit. Bosco was now confused.

“Since when is that a good thing”

“Because, this story will be enough for me to get the raise I need AND more. Now I HAVE to cover this.” He retook his seat.

“I don’t think you quite get it. There will probably be a few dangerous situations that pop up, like bombs dropping on you…” he was trying to hint and the real threat this was but Evan just kept his excited grin. “Evan we could die if you pursue this.” He said bluntly.

“That’s a risk I’m willing to take” He said. Bosco couldn’t believe what he was hearing and was about to speak up again when ‘Chef Daniel’ Returned with a steaming pot.

“Behold my MASTERPIECE” as he lay the pot on the table.

“…Ramen noodles. Really?” Bosco said.

“I know, masterpiece. I should open a restaurant.”

Bosco just burst out laughing along with Evan. Daniel put on the French accent again as he went back to the counter and got some bowls and spoons bringing them back to the table. “Evreevon ees a criteek”

As Evan and Bosco just laughed at their oldest brother, he filled their bowls. After they had calmed down they began eating their meal. This would most likely be the last one they had before it switched to a diet of shit clogging MRE’s. Oh the constipation that awaited them. For now though the enjoyed the meal, all pretending as though there wasn’t a 4 year gap where they hadn’t seen each other. They kept up the joking and small talk all through their meal. When Daniel and Bosco had finished they had started their chant that they did at random times when they were together.

“Boo”

“Boo?”

“Boo!”

“Boo.”

“Majin.”

“Boo!”

This kept up until Evan completed his meal, snickering the whole way through. They continued to chat away for another hour. It was now pitch black outside as the sun had begun bombarding the other side of the planet with its rays.

“Hey Evan, can you wash the dishes while I talk with Christopher outside?” He asked.

‘Ah crap here it comes’ Bosco thought.

“Sure thing. While you’re out there I can start editing my stories.” He replied, standing up and taking to bowls over to the sink. Daniel and Bosco stared at one another, and then stood up and stepped outside the trailer.

Though the sun had gone down, it was still really warm out. That would change quickly as the night progressed. The nights in the desert could get below freezing sometimes. There were a few soldiers around, making adjustments to equipment that was kept in green boxes, and some just out for a run. None would be paying attention to the two brothers.

Daniel turned to face Bosco and got right to it. “Can you keep him safe?” He asked.

Bosco took a moment to answer, “You know what’s about to happen don’t you?” Daniel slowly nodded. “Then you know that I can’t say yes. There’s no way I can guarantee either of you make it back alive. My honest opinion is that you should both just leave before this kicks off and none of us are put in danger.” He looked back at the trailer to for a moment. “But I guess if you’re still here, then your attempt to get him to leave has failed, and he’s even more excited now that he knows what’s bout to happen.”

“Pfft, gun for hire that can’t even do his job. What good are you?” Daniel said. Bosco was expecting it to come out at some point. Daniel still thought he was a murderer for money, that he took jobs just to kill his fellow man. “If you can’t even do your job why are you getting paid? Or is it the more people who die on your jobs the more you get.” Daniels opinions on what he did were always skewed, and sometimes ridiculous.

“You know I don’t do this to kill people. What other skills do I have? I am a marksman, the only thing I know how to do, and this is the only field I can apply it properly in.” He replied.

“And how many people have you killed so far since you started this?” Daniel asked rather heatedly.

“Three” Bosco replied.

This answer surprised Daniel. “Three? Really?”

“What kind of answer were you expecting?”

Daniel scratched the back of his head. “Well I honestly believed that every time you went out on a job you went around running and gunning with a group of gung ho psychopaths destroying whoever got in your way…”

Wow, really bro? Thought you would have a bit more respect for me than that.’ Bosco thought.

“How did those three die then?” He asked, trying to save whatever evil image he had of his brother.

“Two were in the same job. I was escorting some guy to a meeting in Turkey. Don’t remember what for. I do remember the ambush that happened on the way there. A van crashed into our car, and four men jumped out. I tried subduing them without having to resort to my guns, but it just wasn’t happening. I had to shoot them before they shot me.

“The other one was a sniper attack in Syria at a weapons transfer. He nearly killed the official in charge of the transfer, and I had to make sure he didn’t get another chance.” He waited for Daniels reply.

“So purely self-defense then?” He asked.

“Purely self-defense.”

“So the whole reason for me keeping our brothers away from you was…” he looked for the right words.

“Stupid, retarded, completely unfounded?” Bosco supplied.

“All of the above.” Daniel said. “4 years of me trying to protect our brothers from you for nothing.

“Well maybe if you actually read some of the emails I sent you you’d have figured that out.” Bosco doubted he did.

“I kinda delete all the ones from you.” DING DING! What does our contestant win?!

“Well this is just classic us right here. Doing something completely unnecessary for years before realizing how stupid we are…or at least you are” Bosco grinned at him.

“Well to be fair I never really knew what PMC’s did. I always thought that they were mercenaries.” There was some truth to it.

“We can be, but I don’t take those kinds of jobs. Not a very long life expectancy there” Bosco chuckled. Daniel stepped up to him and embraced him. This surprised him a lot. Daniel never initiated direct contact with people in the manner.

“I’m really sorry, I mean it. All these years, and I’ve been such an idiot the whole time.”

“Don’t be too hard on yourself. I forgive you. You were just trying to look after the only family we got left.” Bosco said returned the hug. “And to be fair, you were an idiot before then.”

This got a chuckle out of Daniel and they broke contact. Looks like Bosco was finally going to be part of the family again. He just had to make sure that they both got through the next couple of weeks.

Daniel spoke up again. “Well you know by now that we won’t be able to persuade Evan to drop this story. The only real reason I’m here right now was because I wanted to keep him safe myself. There’s no way I can do that now though.”

“Theres no way I can guarantee it either.” Bosco said darkly.

“I’m just hoping if any danger hits he’ll realize the gravity of what can happen and he’ll turn back, and we can go home.” Daniel said hopefully.

“By the time the danger hits, it will already be too late to turn back.” This deflated Daniels hope. “we just gotta role with it by this point.”

“Yeah I guess you’re right.” Daniel said, and then his expression got serious. “I haven’t heard from Jayson in months.” This wasn’t what Bosco was hoping to hear. He had expected that Jayson kept in contact with at least his home provider. “I am really worried about him. Have you heard from him?”

“Not since he left for Syria.” Bosco replied. “I thought he was keeping in touch with you.”

“Something happened to him. We were going to stop in Syria anyway to see if we could find a trace of him, but Evan insists that he is OK.” Daniel shook his head. “I held on to the hope that he at least kept in touch with you.”

Bosco wanted to go look for Jayson now that he knew something was wrong, but none of them had any way of leave this outpost until their respective jobs were completed. They couldn’t just borrow a military Humvee and leave the outpost with it on a hunch that their brother was in Danger. No one would allow it. That and they didn’t have any proof he was in danger, despite the long period of no contact.

“At least he’s alive still.” Bosco said. Daniel nodded in agreement. He was sure that if anything had happened to their brother, they would feel it. They weren’t spiritual or anything like that. In fact, all of the brothers didn’t really have a religion or something similar that they believed in. They just felt that if there was something that happened to the other, they would feel it in some way.

“Yeah, he has to be” Daniel said.

With the atmosphere being somewhat depressing, Bosco decided it would be best to go back inside and leach of Evans good mood.

“Let’s go inside. No doubt Evan has a few questions for me, and we should get ready for the morning and get some sleep.” Bosco checked his phone for the time. “It’s already 2130.” Daniel looked at him blankly, and Bosco groaned a bit. “9:30, its 9:30. Learn military time, shit!”

“Well if its 9:30, say its 9:30.” They stared at each other a bit then laughed. “Ok, let’s go inside then” Daniel said and opened the trailer door with Bosco following behind. “I sure am glad I was wrong about think you a murdering psychopath.” He said as he stepped inside.

This caused Bosco to pause for a moment before entering. Internally he lamented for the things his brother didn’t know. His memories came back to bite him for just a fraction of a moment. ‘Probably best if none of them ever find out’ Bosco thought. Then followed inside, where they all prepared for the next day.

***

September 3rd 0300: 30 miles of Piranshahr outskirts Iran

Bosco was glad that they had not run into any trouble on their trip. 3rd Platoon of Weapons Company, the unit they were attached to, was consistent of about 30 soldiers. To avoid detection by opposing forces, they had decided to use one of the mountain passes to cross over into Iran. It was a slow journey, as the terrain was difficult to navigate with the Humvees and LAV’s. At some points they nearly lost one of the only sources of firepower when it nearly careened down a cliff face. It would have been fast to traverse this mountain by foot. Whoever had planned this mission clearly didn’t think this trough too well.

Four days of this was taking its toll on the men, but they finally came out of the mountain pass and they now were in position for their eventual objective. Bosco had asked what that was, but they did not tell him. He respected that, as they couldn’t fully trust him and risk him leaking that kind of critical information to the enemy. However Bosco needed to know what they were getting into, so he’d be better prepared to protect his brothers when the time came for it.

Evan was the only one having a blast with the trip. Every small conversation with a soldier he had, every little mishap that happened along the trip, he wrote it all down for his story. He didn’t even care about the discomfort that came with not having a bed to sleep in, or a shower. This was his first time being so far away from the United States he was just drinking it all in and savoring every moment of it.

Daniel was less enthused, not because he was worn already, but because his main camera had lost power. He forgot to charge it before the left. Now he was grumbling about having to use his backup. Bosco couldn’t tell the deference in resolution, but his brother assured him that him main camera was ‘Lightyears’ better as they looked over some of his shots along the trip.

Presently, the company was overlooking what looked to be some small outpost, by the lighting in the distance. It was the only thing Bosco could see in the total blackness this early in the morning. Some clouds had rolled in over the night and blotted out the stars and moon, making seeing anything too far away without aid impossible.

He currently had donned his full combat load, with flak jacket, Kevlar, and rucksack all attached to him. He had his rifle slung, and was holding it in a controlled manner as he walked with the platoon commander. His 1911 was once again strapped to his right thigh. Both of his weapons were loaded, and rounds chambered. He had one additional weapon sheathed on his left shoulder, a Kbar knife. Because he figured things could get that hairy.

The commander stopped, took out a pair of binoculars and observed the outpost. “I suggest that you keep that journalist brother of yours on a leash” The commander said. “In about two hours we are attacking that facility. When we do, we don’t need him in the way. We’ll have enough of a problem keeping our own guys alive without having to baby sit him.”

“Don’t worry sir, I’m keeping him as far away from all that as I can.” He then thought to ask “What’s the importance of this facility.” The commander was silent at first, and Bosco thought he wouldn’t answer.

“They are working on something big in there, really big. Whatever is in there is so guarded that the CIA sent in a lot of operatives to find out what. Since they haven’t been heard from since, we’re next to try and find out.” This was what Bosco needed to know before they came out here. There was no way he could leave now though. Evan refused to give up on this before it even started. ‘Well, now he’s got one hell of a story to write about. U.S. forces raid a top secret Iranian lab, found a device with the ability to turn cheese into gold!’

“Well then, you don’t have to tell me twice to stay out of you way. You guys do your thing and we’ll be waiting here when you get back” Bosco said. He then turned around and started walking back to where he had dug a hole, for him and his brothers to share as a place to sleep. Not the HE was sleeping tonight, but they were not used to the wear and tear this trip was bringing them. So it was more for them than himself.

“Good, cause if you aren’t, we’re leaving you behind.” The commander said, and started to walk back with him to the encampment, ready to oversee his troops before the attack.

***

Hour and a Half Later

The soldiers were all loading up into the LAV’s, getting ready to assault the complex. The engines were whirring, kept on for the last ten minutes to keep them warmed up. They all seemed nervous, but that was to be expected. You don’t just go into battle without fear. That made you act stupid, and got yourself or others killed. Yet getting paralyzed by that fear was worse. If people saw you afraid, it could be infectious and spread to others. Just a right amount of it though kept you on your toes, and made you think.

It was still early in the morning, and there was barley a hint of the sun starting to rise in the east. This was a good time for an attack, as it would be in the middle of a guard changeover, when the enemy would be least aware.

As the soldiers loaded up on their mechanical steeds, Bosco turned his attention to his Brothers. Evan was getting a last minute word with one of the soldiers before they loaded up over by the Humvees. Daniel was standing right next to Bosco just recording the activities surrounding them. It all seemed rather calm, controlled and planned. The only part of this operation so far that looked planned. ‘Well I would hope this was thought out correctly, or this will not end well for these guys.’ Bosco thought.

Bosco just watched Evan doing his interviews as Daniel spoke up. “You know, I’ve never seen a real battle before.” Trying to ease some of his own tension at the situation by making conversation.

“I hope not, I don’t think you could stomach it” Bosco said. “I know I’d rather not see one. Have enough trouble right now looking after the both of you.”

“But you’ve been in battle before I thought.” Daniel said confused. “Like with that sniper and the two other dudes?”

“Those weren’t battles; those could be called random encounters. What’s about to take place is going to be much more chaotic, with a whole bunch of guys trying to kill another bunch of guys. People will die, and it will be hell.”

“Well when you put it that way I guess you haven’t.” Daniel said. He then turned to look a Bosco, and Bosco did likewise. “You know Evans probably going to try to get close to the action. You know, for a more direct look into the story.”

“Like you would if you were trying to get a decent shot.” He replied. “The only reason you aren’t trying is because your right next to me and you know better. And there’s no I’m letting Evan get close to this shitstorm either” The LAV hatches started closing and the Humvee’s doors started closing as men in each vehicle manned the turret mounts and the convoy slowly started taking off.

“Yeah, I’d kill you if you let him get that close.” Daniel and Bosco both looked to where they had last seen their youngest brother, and found an empty space. “Uhh where did he go”

Oh sweet salty Christ no’ Bosco thought. A Humvee roared in front of him, and inside waving happily with a Helmet on was Evan in one of the back seats. Bosco stared in disbelief as he passed and said the only thing that came to mind. “FUCK!”

Daniel tried chasing after the Humvee waving his arms trying to get the attention of the driver, but the vehicle did not stop. He then stomped back to Bosco, “You kidding me!? Why weren't you watching him? We both knew he would do something like this”

Bosco shook himself from his shock. The worst case scenario had risen, but he was still prepared for it. The outpost was only about half a mile away. He could run that distance no problem and get his little brother out of the fire.

“Don’t worry, I’ll get him back” And started running towards the outpost.

“Where are you going?” Daniel yelled at him.

“Where the fuck does it look like?” Bosco yelled back and continued on. He was running for about a minute before another Humvee came up from behind him and stopped in from of him, with Daniel in the driver seat. He opened the passenger door and yell “Get in.” over the sound of the diesel engine. Bosco quickly complied.

“In retrospect, I probably should have asked to borrow this.” He said.

Daniel laughed a bit “Ha ha, yeah borrow…” and they took off speeding at the complex.

As they drew nearly the sounds of battle could be heard over the engine. The pops of rifle and automatic with the slow repetitive thuds of the heavier guns of the LAV’s mad it through to them. A muffled explosion was heard and they could see smoke start to rise from the complex.

Bosco couldn’t believe he let Evan get out of sight. He also couldn’t believe that the soldiers let him come with them. What were they thinking?

“As soon as we pass through that gate stay the fuck down. Try to stay in the Humvee. I’ll grab even, throw him in the back and we’ll be outa there. Easy peasy.”

“Really think it’ll be that simple?” Daniel asked.

“Sure, how hard could it be?”

As they passed through the smoking gate, a scene of chaos met their eyes. Tracers zipped past in all directions and soldiers fired from whatever cover they could find. One of the LAV’s was a burning wreck in the front of the assault line while the remaining two poured fire on enemy positions. Of the four Humvees in the original line, two had men still on the guns. The passengers of all the vehicles had dismounted to form a battle line and get momentum back in the assault.
One of the enemy machine gunners peppered the glass of their current Humvee. Daniel freaked out and lost control of the machine and it wheeled around and crashed into building. Both of them flew forward and hit the dash. With Bosco wearing a helmet the blow was softened, Daniel however had been dazed by the blow.

“Did I say easy, cause I think I meant we’re gunna fucking die” Bosco said as he grabbed his rifle, opened the door and rolled out. He landed on his back on top of his rucksack, then stood up and looked over to his expert driver “Stay down Daniel! I’ll be right back”

“Ok, I’ma sit here and pretend I didn’t piss myself” He said back.
Gross’ Bosco thought. He then peeked around the corner of the Humvee, and looked at what was happening. The U.S. troops had gained some momentum and taken some ground. Squads were rushing up to take more forward positions and keep the enemy pinned. Tracers continued to light up the early morning and every flash lit up a hint of a detail of a building. A machine gun nest in the second story of a far building kept hammering down lead at the soldiers, and it seemed to be their main focus. One soldier popped a flare to get betting lighting.

As the morning sky was lit up Bosco saw Evan underneath one of the Humvees curled into a ball. Even saw him as well. Bosco had never, in all his life seen him so terrified. The Humvee was surrounded by the bodies of the soldiers he had hitched a ride with. Blood still flowed from their wounds making the ground around them slick with it. Evan seemed to mouth ‘Help me’ to him as they made eye contact. It would be impossible for Evan to hear him of the sounds of combat going on all around them. So he just mouthed back ‘I’m coming.

He then ran from the Humvee, Daniel still inside to the wall of the building and ran along it. He noticed some movement in of the windows in the building across the street. Rather than wait till it was too late he fired a few rounds into it. He was rewarded, with the sight of rifle falling out the window and a limp arm dangling out. It was not his best idea however, for now he had some unhappy Iranian firing at him. Bullets hit the wall behind him, throwing up dust and debris. Bosco dropped down on his belly and saw the muzzle flashes coming from the next window over. He looked through the ACOG, lined up the red chevron just above the flash point and fired. A second afterward, the fire towards him ceased.
No longer getting hailed with gunfire, he rushed the rest of the distance to the engine compartment of the Humvee that Evan was under. As he made it the light from the pop flare faded, and they cast in darkness again. Before it dimmed, he got a good look at two of Evans ride partners. The one had holes peppered in his flak jacket where blood still seeped from. He had a look of panic permanently set into his lifeless eyes. The other, no longer had a face, just a hole where his brain could be seen through. It took a lot for Bosco not to vomit at the sight.

“Evan!” Bosco had to yell of the gunfire. “Evan grab my hand.” He then reached under the Humvee for Evan to cling on to him.

“I can’t, I’m too scared.” Even yelled back. It sounded like he was scared with how much his voice waivered.

“You have to or I can’t get you out of here!” Bosco yelled back. “Come on we gotta go, NOW”

Another pop flare flew into the air and Bosco looked at the rooftops just in time to see outline of a form with something on his should. ‘Well this is gunna be bad’ He Thought. He then yelled as loud as he could at the soldiers whom in their focus of the machine gun nest, failed to spot the threat.

“RPG!”

As he screamed, the assailant let loose his payload. It flew towards one of the Remaining LAV’s. It impacted, and the vehicle was engulfed in bright orange flame that light up the night brighter than a flare could.

Bosco returned his attention to the roof, aiming in and firing on the one who fired the lethal payload. He hit him twice in the chest and he fell backward. Bosco then spent the rest of his magazine keeping the rest of the attackers pinned. He hated wasting ammo, but now he was trying to keep the remaining soldiers alive. They were already starting to lose ground with their fire support reduce by over half. His bolt locked to the rear, signaling he was out of ammo. Before he could reload, another RPG wielding attack pointed his device in his direction. ‘No, I’m not dealing with this bullshit!’ He then reached under the Humvee, pulled Evan out forcefully with him giving a surprise “Gah”. He then brought him into a fireman’s carry and sprinted as fast he could towards Daniels Humvee. He heard the RPG go off, and a second later the Humvee behind him exploded. The force of it lifted him off his feet and he felt something hit him in the side. As he fell he made sure the Evan, who was screaming he head off, was over him so he could take the brunt of the fall. When he landed, the wind was knocked out of him, and he couldn’t move. Bits of destroyed Humvee flew in from behind him, as he failed to get his wits about him. ‘Shit son, I just got blown the fuck up’ His ears were ringing, and his vision was blurred while he just lay on his face. He saw the dirt getting kicked up a few times as rounds hit the ground.

He felt a weight lift off his back, and he started to shake and some really muffled shouting coming from his side. After a few more shakes, whatever it was stopped, and he felt his arms get grabbed as he started lurching forward on the ground. He looked up and saw Evan trying to drag him to their escape vehicle. The look a fear hadn’t left him, but now he looked determined to go along with it. The vision of his brother trying so hard to save him touched him and he smiled.
…Oh right I’m getting shot at right now’ He thought. ‘Well I don’t wanna get shot and neither does he. Time to leave.’ With that he pushed himself off his sorry face and onto his feet. He grabbed his rifle still slung to his chest with one arm and pointed towards where Daniel waited for them with the other.

“RUN, GO!” he shouted. They both ran as fast as they could. Luckily the attention was mainly back on the soldiers who were now falling back, out of the complex. Only a few pot shots came their way. When they reached the Humvee, Bosco threw open the door, grabbed Evan and threw him inside like a potato sack. “Let’s get out of here he yelled, as he jumped in and shut the door.

“Uhh, bad news.” Daniel said.
No, no, NOO’ Bosco thought. “Please don’t tell me the Humvee won’t start”

“Okay then I won’t tell you the Humvee won’t start,” Daniel said. “I will tell you that that is a lie though.”

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU’ “Get it working!” He yelled hoping into the MG turret, wheeling it around. The convoy of soldiers was already leaving making their way towards the gate under constant fire. They tried using the vehicles to cover their retreat, but every now and then would get hit, sending out a cry of pain before trying to fight for their survival. Bosco watched one soldier get hit in the neck, blood spurting from the hit, and didn’t get up.

“I’ve been trying since you went out there, it’s just not responding. I think the engines fried.” Daniel said. He looked at the engine compartment and noted the smoke coming from it. “Yeah defiantly fried” Bosco Started firing on the enemy line, trying to support their soldiers as they retreated. There was no way he could get to them for help, and their escape vehicle was dead in the water so to say. He succeeded in suppressing the fire of some of them, and the crack, pops and tracers whizzing by him told him he had their attention.

He quickly looked behind himself, looking for a way out. The only thing he saw was a stairwell leading down into the ground. It was the only way he saw out of this without getting turned into a bullet pincushion, with nothing to protect them if they just tried running off the complex, and staying in the Humvee would be worse. To ring his assumptions true, he saw another RPG man aim in on him from the ground 50 yards away from him where a line of enemy combatants had taken up positions behind the destroyed U.S. equipment.

“Get out of the Humvee. Take those stairs down behind us.” Bosco yelled.

“What about getting out of here?” Daniel yelled back.

“If you don’t wanna die, you will get you and Evan down those stairs!” Bosco all but screamed at him. With that Evan jumped out of the door and Daniel exited through the passenger side door. While they raced down the stair Bosco sent MG fire into the RPG man he saw, and the man was torn to pieces, becoming a bloody mess of flesh and bone. ‘Fuck your shit asshole’ He saw another RPG man take position, but when he turned to aim in on him the turret got stuck making a clunk noise and refusing to swivel further. ‘God…Damn it. MURPHEY’ As he screamed internally he screamed outwardly as well jumping out of the top of the turret and jumping down the disabled vehicle. He then ran down over the stair well and dived down, rolling down the steps as an explosion rumbled overhead. When he reached the bottom, he was staring up at his brothers, who both looked concerned and frightened half to death. He figured it to be appropriate.

Bosco got up and went over to the door at the end of the underground hallway. When he was right in from of it, the door slide upward and revealed two dark-skinned Iranian guards, both in body armor and armed with AK-47’s. They were both as surprised as Bosco was, but raised their rifles at him. Bosco grabbed the barrel of the one closest and let his own rifle hang on its sling. He then grabbed the pistol from his thigh and pointed it over the man in front of him and shot the second guard in the face. He fell limply to the ground blood gushing from his wound. The other guard bashed Bosco length wise with his rifle, and succeeding in making Bosco loose his grip on his pistol. He did not succeed in making Bosco loose his grip on the rifle though.

Using his now free hand he threw a punch at the guard, but he moved his head to the side and dodged the blow. The gaurds rebuttal was a butt stroke, which hit Bosco in the chest. His flak absorbed the blow but now the guard could train his weapon on him as he lost his grip this time. Bosco rushed the guard again, but he managed crack a shot off before he reached him. The shot wasn’t aimed in on him and the shot flew right by him, didn’t stop Bosco from nearly pissing himself.
He heard a cry of pain from behind him as he slammed the guard in the doorway frame. One of his brothers had been hit, and this made Bosco very angry. Like take a Mama bear protecting her cub from a hunter and multiply it by 12, then take that and add how angry lion gets when you get into its territory…let’s just say he was pissed.

The Guard now had both of his harms trapped underneath the length of his own rifle. He looked terrified and squirmed to try and break free, but it was no use. He was pinned and there was nothing he could do about it now. He looked into Bosco’s rage filled eyes as he pulled the Kbar from its sheath. He stuck the guard in the side of the neck and quickly retracted it. It was like someone destroyed the blood dam as it flowed out of the wound on his neck. Bosco then followed up with a slash across the man’s throat, revealing the vein, muscle and esophagus hiding underneath, and then let him slump to the floor, clutching his neck as blood still gushed from his throat gurgled and he choked for a breath he could not take.

Bosco looked back to his brothers, breathing heavily with the effort he had used to dispatch his foes. He was shaking, but not from the effort of his fight, but the anger he still felt from them harming one of them. Daniel was standing over Evan, who was on the ground clutching an area around his left thigh that was grunting in pain. His hands had already started to stain red. Daniel was panicking as he continuously said “Shit shit shit, No, shit, no, shit”. Before Bosco could say anything though Daniel picked up Evan and rushed him through the door the guards had come from.

Bosco was about to tell him to do that anyway, but he was glad he didn’t have to say it. The only thing keeping his head level right now was his training, and the instinct he had to keep his brothers from further harm.

The sounds of gunfire were still going off in the distance. The Iranian guard forces were still running off the U.S. soldiers, who were no doubt not going to attempt to save them. He had to figure out some way to get himself and his brothers out of this place without being killed or captured. Right now his only chance of that was to go further into the underground facility and try to find some opportunity to escape. There was no chance of it the way they came. ‘So our only way to escape right now is to go further down into some underground facility, which as far as we know right now has only one exit. Fan tucking fasdic.’ He thought to himself, as he grabbed the now still man’s rifle along with his spare magazines from his belt, letting his own rifle hang slung at his side. He also grabbed one of the grenades off his vest. ‘Still a better plan then go back and get our heads chopped off. Still can happen but I’d rather delay that. I like my head. It’s no good at math but it does a decent job regardless.

He started to hear voices coming from above the stairwell. ‘Well, time to be a mole man.’ And with that he rushed through the doorway, grabbing his pistol off the ground and ran after his brothers, door sliding down behind him. He shot the device used to open it, hoping it would slow their pursuers down.

***

Princess Luna was flying over the sleeping land of Equestria as she made her way back to Canterlot, the light from her moon guiding her as she cross over the darkened landscape. Her Ethereal blue mane waved slowly, unaffected by the winds as she soared through the sky, as if waving to its own breeze. It was a clear night as the weather ponies from the previous day had cleared the sky, and it there work had made this night beautiful, with the moons light casting a light blue glow over the landscape.

She had just come from a tense discussion from the king of the Griffon Kingdoms. They disputed the claim Equestria had to some of their border territories. There was the threat of open conflict until Luna’s sister, Princess Celestial, had told her to go to the Griffon Kingdom and calm them, at least from open aggression. While Luna had succeeded, they still were not ready to back away from their claim to the border lands and would pursue it again before long. This made Luna upset, as they wished no ill will toward their neighbor, but they could not back down from the issue either. If they let the Griffon King get his way he would see it as a weakness and try to extort more from the Princess Sisters.

Luna sighed as she wondered if her Sister could have handled the situation better. She was far more experienced in dealing with such disputes than she was. That and she had never dealt much with them before her banishment. But that was why Celestia had sent her. Luna had been Co-Ruling with Celestia ever since her return from her banishment eight years ago, and she still lacked the experience in dealing with other countries, and handling disputes, and diplomacy in general. It was part of Celestia’s attempt to get her sister more used to the dealings of the other countries. Most of their neighbors were friendly towards Equestria, with having trade agreements, and even alliances with them. It was mainly the Griffons that Equestria had poor relations with. The Griffons were at least willing to have Diplomatic ties however. The Changelings who lived in the wastes refused to respond to their envoys. It was that way before their failed invasion of Canterlot 6 years ago.

Despite the political climate, the world was really a peacefully place, and Luna smiled and basked in her night as she flapped her powerful wings, and dove towards a pond below her. She gently touched down on her hooves and folded her wings in to her sides and trotted over to the pond. It was in the waning hours of the night, and she would soon have to lower her moon to make way for Celestia’s sun. Before that happened though she wanted to delve into the dreams of her subjects, and banish any nightmares they may have had, or just look in to see what they dreamt of. She did very much enjoy this, for her subjects did not fear her as much in their dreaming state as they did when in her actually presence. She had tried to become less imposing to her ponies and be viewed in the same like as Celestia whom they loved and adored. However, some still viewed her as Nightmare Moon and feared her for it, even though Twilight had banished that evil from her heart so long ago.

Luna did not think of this though. She simply lay down next to the pond and her horn lit up in a deep blue glow. ‘Let us see what our pony’s dream of this night’ she thought to herself, and delved into the dreamscape.

***

They had run through several hallways and had gone down several levels of the facility before they ducked into a doorway and shut it tight. Daniel and Bosco were both getting rather worn out from all the running they were doing, but they had luckily eluded any more encounters with the enemy, despite a few close calls when they went down a few corridors to see guards who were faced away from them before turning away and picking another path. Evans wound was not as serious as the feared, with the bullet missing the arteries in his thigh and simply passing through without striking bone. They had even more luck as the room they had sucked into was some type of medical room. Daniel grabbed the supplies he needed to dress Evans wound while Bosco covered the entrance and listened for footsteps heading their way. The enemy knew they were here, they just didn’t know where.

It didn’t take long for Daniel to Patch Evan up, but he would still need attention from a hospital to get it properly taken care of. It would do for now however. Bosco gave Daniel the rifle he had taken from the guard earlier and Evan leaned against him for support as they made their way back out of the room and continued down the endless corridors. They had no idea which way to go so they just picked another door and went through it.

They almost immediately regretted their door choice as a guard was in a chair right in front of them. Luckily, despite the action that had happened on the surface, and the commotion they had no doubt caused tearing through facility, he was asleep. He was slumped forward on a desk, drooling slightly while he dreamed of who knew what. Bosco wasn’t taking any chances with him waking up and sounding an alarm. He took out his knife and readied it for a stab to the man’s neck.

“NO” Evan yelled, startling all of them, including the man in the chair. He stirred and looked groggily at the three intruders before him. Before he could do anything, Bosco brought the handle of the knife down on top of the man’s head instead stabbing him as he originally intended. He was stunned but awake fully now. Bosco then leapt over the desk and brought him to the ground. As he did this he brought his arms around the man’s neck and rolled behind him so he couldn’t get his own hands at him. The guard struggled for a few moments, before going slack. Evan was looking at his older brother as he got up, asking fearfully “Is he…?”

“He’s unconscious.” Bosco said, shaking his head and breathing heavily. He was running out of energy from all the effort to keep himself and his brothers from harm. “What was that about Evan? Daniel cover the door” Daniel complied, pointing the acquired rifle at the doorway while Evan looked at the ground. “You know what could have happened if he got the chance to sound the alarm. Why did you put us at risk?”

Evan shuffled a bit. He took his time to reply. “I just…didn’t think you had to kill him.” Evan then looked Bosco in the eyes. “He didn’t know we were here, he was completely unaware. We could have just turned around and found a different direction to go in. I don’t want to see you kill people needlessly.” Evan then went back to looking at the ground.

Bosco thought about what his younger brother said, and realized he was right. The man posed no threat, and yet he was going to kill him regardless. He wanted to keep his brothers safe no matter what, but he didn’t want to kill without need either. There defiantly wasn’t a need in this case.

“You’re right Evan. I’m sorry. You were right to stop me.” He walked over to Evan and gave him a hug. “There wasn’t a need to kill this man, but there may be no other way to keep you safe when we run into more of these guys. I can’t risk them getting ahold of either of you. Hate me if you want, but it’s to keep you out of harm’s way.”

Evan nodded in comprehension. “I understand. I just don’t want to see you turn into a monster. I don’t want to see you enjoy it.”

“We don’t have time for this right now!” Daniel put in. “We still got an entire facility of people trying to kill us, and frankly IM FREAKING THE FUCK OUT!”

Bosco now turned his attention to his older brother giving him a stern stare. “Quiet the fuck down! Do you want them to hear you?! Use that air force training to remember how to aim that rifle, take a breather, and relax. I need you covering my six, and you need to be calm to do it.”

Daniel was starting to hyperventilate “You have experience with this kind of stuff man. I can’t handle this shit! I can’t handle-” Bosco slapped him across the face, causing Daniel to stop his hysterical rant.

“I don’t need you to handle it! I need you to control it. If you don’t we can all die. Now take a breath-” Bosco inhaled and waited for his brother to follow. When he did and his lungs were filled he exhaled while saying “and relax.” Daniel still look like he was on the fringes, but his fears were under control for the moment. “Now let’s get back out there and find a way out of he-”

“Hello” A man’s voice echoed out.

Bosco looked in the direction it came and now took notice the details of the room they had ducked into. It was some type of prison, or brig. Behind the desk the guard was sitting behind was a set of steel bars with a matching door. Beyond it were cells lining the walls, all marked by a light by the steel doors. The doors all looked light they weighed at least a ton with little slits at the bottom for food to go through, and a slit by eye level by the door for guards to check on their ‘Guests’. Something bothered Bosco though. ‘That voice sounds very familiar’ he thought.

“Daniel, does that sound familiar to you?” He asked.

Daniel nodded “Yes, but, I don’t know how. Or care really, we gotta go remember?”

“It sounds familiar to me as well. I think we know this person.” Evan said.

That sealed it for Bosco, and he kneeled over the passed out guard and grabbed the keys on his belt. He then walked over the barred door, and fumbled with the keys until he found the right one and pushed it open with some effort. He waved for his brothers to follow through with him, and the made their way down the cells. “Hello?” Bosco called out. “Where are you?”

He was answered by a series of coughs to a cell directly to his left. He walked up to it and opened the slit. He could see a shadowed figured curled up on a bed in the corner. The cell was filthy, even by prisons standards, and it smelled of shit and piss. He guessed instead of a toilet, they had the inmates use a bucket. He felt glad that there was only one prisoner in this tiny prison.

“Daniel, keep us covered. Evan just sit tight. We’re taking this guy with us. He can come in handy.” Daniel just continued trying to keep his wits about him as he leaned Evan against a wall and watched for company. Evan just slumped down and nursed his wound.

Bosco once again fumble with the keys, looking for the key that unlatched the cell door. When he found it he inserted it into the lock and turned it. He then pulled the crank that unlatched the bars to the door. He heard a grind and clunk as the door was unlocked. He then pushed the door open, and he was glad to find the door was much easier to open than he first thought. He walked over to the figure lying on the bed, trying his best to ignore the smell of piss and feces, and tapped him on the shoulder.

“Hey guy, you alright?” The figure stirred a bit, jumping almost from his touch. The figures hair was down past his shoulders, and he was filthy. He smelled as though he hadn’t showered in months. Bosco continued to try and get a response from the man. “Hey I’m going to get you out of here” The man didn’t move still, but his breathing was increased, as though excited.

Bosco then looked at the state the man was in and was appalled. He was extremely skinny from malnutrition, and he had bruises all over the parts of his arms that were exposed. It looked as though some of his fingers were broken as well. This man wouldn’t survive down here for much longer. Now he was determined to get him out as well. “Come on, let me help you up.”

As Bosco leaned in to help him the man spoke. “Christopher?” voice was sounded raspy and croaky as though he didn’t have water in a while. Bosco was too distracted by the use of his name to notice. Very few people used his actual name. Very close friends and family mainly, which meant that this person was one or the other. Grabbed the man’s shoulders and picked him up off the bed. He couldn’t believe his eyes.

It was Jayson. He was sporting a very scraggly beard from being unable to groom it, and his face was bruised beyond relief, and His left eye was blackened from some beating the guards had given him. But his eyes looked into Bosco’s and they held pure joy in them. It was as though he had given up hope long ago, and now it was back with a fury.

It looked like the answer to where Jayson had been for the past 6 months had been answered. Immediately however Bosco’s head filled with questions new on how he got to be here of all places, but instead that though he simply asked “What the hell happened to you Jayson?”

“Christopher! Thank god!” He clutched his older brother and started weeping into his chest, avoiding the use his injured hands. “I gave up so long ago. I-I th-thought I was going to d-die here.” Bosco wrapped one of his own arms around him and staring off into space. He couldn’t believe this whole situation anymore.

“Christopher, hurry up. We gotta go.” Daniel called from the outside of the cell.

This brought Bosco out of his trance and he looked down at Jayson. “Can you walk?”

Jayson looked up at Bosco and nodded. “Yes.” Tears were just streaming from him.

“Alright, come on then.” Bosco lifted his brother up onto his shoulder. Jayson was the same height as Evan so he was able to lean comfortably. Once there they both walked out of the cell door. When they got outside Evan looked up at the both of them, disbelief on his face. “Jayson?!” This caused Daniel to look over and share Evan’s expression.

“How in the hell-” Daniel began before Bosco cut him off.

“Time for it later, we’re going now.” Bosco said, and made for the cell doors. Daniel picked up Evan off the floor and they followed.

They exited out back into the hallway and Bosco was about to try a direction before Jayson started said “We may have a way out –haaah- at the bottom of the facility –haaah” He was having trouble breathing and Bosco feared he may, collapse. He recovered after a few breathes. Bosco was willing to take any chance he could get, but Jayson was near delirious from lack of food, water, and what looked like being used as a punching bag. If they may it to the bottom of the facility and nothing was there, then they may as well shoot themselves and save the guards the trouble when the found them. He had to ask why Jayson they had a chance if they made it to the bottom of the facility.

“How? What’s down there?” Bosco asked.

“The other prisoners, they were forced to help work on some special project…before the guards killed them all. They would tell me about it after the guards let them rest –haaaaaah-”

“What could possible help us at the bottom of a facility buried underneath several hundreds of feet of earth, and if it was so special, why haven’t we encountered any security measures to keep us out of restricted places.” Daniel put in. He was skeptic about this, but Bosco and Evan were as well.

“From what the other prisoners told me –haah- it was some type of teleporter.” Jayson wheezed some more before he continued. “Last I heard, they actually had it working.”

Man the insane shit doesn’t thought today’ Bosco thought. ‘but the hell with it, it’s not like we have a chance getting back out the way we came. I’ll take insane chance over no chance

“As for the poor security –haah-” Jayson paused, looking for the right thing to say. Giving up he said “Fuck if I know”

“Screw it, I’ll bite. Let’s go find this teleporter. Let’s go.” With that they all started wandering down the corridor again looking for any way to get lower into the facility, at the same time on the alert for any enemies they may be around. ‘How in the hell did they find the technology to build a teleporter anyway?’ Bosco thought as they turned down a corner. ‘I mean, there aren’t any projects I’ve heard of that are close to accomplishing something like that.’ His mental tirade continued as they passed several doors, looking through the ones that had windows to see if there was a stairwell. ‘Probably aliens or something crazy like that. It’s been a crazy enough day for more crazy, so why not ad in more crazy to crazy up crazy ville with.’ When he turned the corner this time he was confronted with six guards walking down the hallway towards him, and he ducked back into the other hallway.

“More guards” He whispered.

“Do you think the saw you?” Daniel whispered back.

“I dunno, let me check.” Bosco poked his head around the corner to look at the guards again. He caught a glimpse of six guards all point rifles his direction for half a second before the hallway erupted with the sounds of rifle fire and bullets started hitting the wall. He immediately retracted his head back and said “Nah we’re good, all that gunfire’s just a coincidence. MOVE!” They hustled as fast as they could back the way they came.

As they came in front of a set of doors that had no handles, Jayson tugged on Bosco to get him to stop. “What is it?” Instead of answering Jayson hit a button on the wall, wincing as he did so, that had a triangle pointing down, which lit up when pressed. The doors slid open shortly afterward. ‘A fucking elevator. You kidding me?!’ His thoughts were interrupted when he saw the guards round the corner. Bosco shoved Jayson inside elevator compartment and started firing at the pursuers. “Get in!” He yelled at Daniel and Evan.

Daniel complied and drug Evan along with him into the elevator. Bosco continued to sling hot let at the enemy. His hail of fire had stopped them from taking up firing position and he had dropped two of the guards when they tried to come back around the corner.

Bosco’s bolt locked to the rear, ending his suppressing fire, and he ducked inside the elevator as well. As the fire came back down the hallway Bosco pressed the button to close the door and the lowest level option. The doors closed muffling the gunfire from outside. The compartment lurched as they began their descent.

“Good thinking Jayson.” Daniel said.

“Yeah that saved our asses there.” Bosco put in.

Jayson smiled from where he was laying on the floor from being shoved inside the elevator, and said “Hey, don’t mention it…my finger hurts like hell right now though” Daniel and Bosco chuckled, but Evan frowned from Daniels shoulder.

“But we’re in an elevator now.” He said.

Bosco looked at his brother and said “Yeah, on our way to our only escape option.”

“Yeah and it only has one exit.”

“Uh huh”

“And we just passed some guards”

“Okay, and…”

“And they will probably let somebody know, some intruders are on their way down the elevator, someone at the bottom of the facility, who will only have on way out of said elevator…”

Bosco stood there for a second before it dawned on him. “Ah fuck sticks”

***

About twelve facility guards were running down the down the corridor towards the elevator shaft. The teams from the upper levels reported that they were all that was left from the U.S. assault on the facility. The rest had fled the facility, tails between their legs. The other teams also reported that they had to be some type of Elite Squad, as they were extremely dangerous and headed for the teleporter room. It could be their only objective as they had slowly been working their way towards it ever since they broke into the facility. They couldn’t let them get there and sabotage it. It could be the only reason they were here. The whole assault may have been a diversion for this.

They arrived at the elevator door and all lined up in front of it, leveling their rifles in preparation. They watched as the floor indicator above the door slowly counted down levels, their fingers poised on the triggers. When they were all in position they all stopped moving. The only sound that could be heard was the sound of machinery from within the elevator shaft as it sent down the compartment.

The elevator dinged with its arrival and the guards all opened fire on the elevator shaft. The bangs from the rifles were accompanied by the clinks and dings of brass of expended ammunition hitting the floor. The smoke from the rifles was starting to fog up the room. The fire didn’t let up until all the guards magazines were expended. They elevator doors now had bullet holes riddled across its entire surface.

They guards al reloaded their weapons and two moved forward as the elevator doors opened. When they got inside they found…nothing. The elevator was empty, leaving the guards confused. The squad leader radioed back up to the upper level teams to see if there was some mistake.

The maintenance opened upward with a creek, and a small metal sphere flew out of it into the hall with the guards. They all stared at it, knowing full well what it was, and that it was missing several key safety features. Before any of them could say anything, the grenade exploded. The concussive force from the blast shook the hallway, and the guards were all pelted with shrapnel.

The two guards in the elevator were blown off their feet and against the wall. They slumped against the walls as their ears rung and they last all their bearings. Their comrades in the hallway weren’t so lucky. The scene was a display of human body parts and blood, as most of them were literally blown to pieces. The lucky ones were bloody messes of flesh, clothe, and bone.

Bosco jumped down from the maintenance shaft with Daniel and the both but stroked the two still living guards with their rifles, knocking them out.

“See Evan, no proble- OH JESUS!” Bosco yelled out as he witnessed the scene he caused with his grenade. “Wow…well…their dead.”

Daniel was doing his best not to hurl, and turned to help the younger siblings down from the maintenance hatch. When they were down however, Evan couldn’t stomach the scene and hurled upon seeing it. Daniel upon seeing Evan vomit also let loose.

“That’s the nastiest thing I’ve ever seen.” Evan said clutching his stomach.

“I’ve never seen anything quite like that either.” Jayson said, dry heaving a bit.

“Hey, focus. Plan worked, we’re still alive. Now let’s find out where this teleporter is.” Bosco said. He let Jayson lean on his shoulder and Daniel took Evan.

“It should be down the –hmmmg- left hallway” Jayson said.

“How they hell do you know that?” Bosco asked. Jayson simply pointed at a sign on the corner of the corridor in front of them with arrows and words he didn’t understand on it.

“I can kinda read it. It says ‘Lab’ where the arrow points left, so I’m guessing that’s the way we want to go.” Jayson’s explanation worked for him and so they slowly made their way down the hallway. Continuing to follow the signs as they went they soon arrived at their destination. When they opened the door to the ‘Lab’ they were greeted by a massive room full of scientific equipment whose purpose Bosco could only guess at. The only thing he could recognize was the tiny nuclear reactor that was attached to one of the devices in the room. He only recognized it because he had to guard one once.

The most notable feature of the room was what the reactor was powering. It had a ramp leading up to a metal ring that went in a half circle over it and took up more than half of the lab area space. It was big enough to hold a tank on it, not that he knew how they would get a tank down here.

“Yeah, this may be what we’re looking for” Daniel said. “How do we use it?...or even turn it on for that matter?”

“Well, Evan and Jayson have always been the smarter ones” Bosco said. “Here take them and figure it out” Bosco then walked Jayson over to Daniel who let him lean on his free shoulder, Evan being in the other.

“How are we supposed to just ‘Figure it out’ exactly?” Evan asked.

“No idea, maybe look for a control panel or an operation board, or an instructions manual, I don’t fucking know.” Bosco said as he turned his attention to the hallway. He frowned and made a face as he noticed more guards had arrived. And by more, he meant a lot more. Like 30 of them, all rushing down the hallway towards them. “But you may want to figure it out quickly.” He said as he shut the door. As soon as the metal door slid down, he heard the impacts of bullets on the other side.

“Hey, that looks like a control board of some kind.” Daniel said, and started bringing the two younger siblings over to a pair a chairs that were bolted to the floors in front a set of levers and switches near the base of the ramp. He set Evan and Jayson down as Bosco made his way over.

“Sweet, can you make any of it out Jayson?” He asked.

Jayson stared at the control board and looked at Evan. “Press the red button at the top” He told him. Evan complied. The metal half circle sparked with electrical energy for a moment before returning to normal.

“What did that do?” Bosco asked.

“I have no idea.” Jayson said.

Bosco looked at him incredulously. “What? You just pressed a button not knowing what the hell it does?” He said.

“Yeah, kinda comes with working a machine I have no idea how to work” Jayson said. “But don’t worry, I’m figuring it out.”

Bosco face palmed. ‘We’re going to fucking die’ As if to punctuate his thought there was a bang at the door. He looked over at it and it was staring to curl inward. The guards were trying to breach in using shape charges. ‘FUCKING, DIE

“Daniel, help me out, we need to slow them down when the breach that door.” Bosco said.

“What do you need me to do?” Daniel asked. Evan and Jayson continued to press buttons on the panel. Some gave responses like the one earlier while others did nothing.

“I need you to, be a soldier. I need you to help me protect Evan and Jayson.” Daniel’s expression darkened as he grasped what Bosco was getting at. “I need you to kill if you have to.”

“Christopher I ca-”

“You have to.” Bosco clapped him on the shoulder. “I can’t hold them back myself. Hell we can’t do it by ourselves. But we need to buy time for them to get that thing working, if it even does work. It’s our only chance to live, and its either us or them.”

Daniel sighed in defeat. “I hoped I’d never have to do this.” He said. With that Bosco and Daniel gathered whatever equipment they could move, and made a last minute wall of cover between the door and the control panel. While they were working, the portal ring started humming, and then what sounded like a laser shot erupted through the lab room. Daniel and Bosco looked back and the center of the metal ring now had a wavy blue, almost water looking plane across it.

“I think we figured it out” Jayson yelled out over to them.

***

As Luna was delving into the dreams of her subjects, she felt an energy. It felt like nothing of this world. She withdrew herself from the ethereal plane of dreams and back to her physical form by the lake.

“By my stars?” she said. The energy was getting more distinct. It felt like this energy was ripping through time, space, and reality. It was nothing like anything she had experienced before. As Luna tried to fathom what could possibly create this energy, it grew stronger and stronger.

She could feel that it defiantly did not originate from this world.

***

The nuclear reactor started making a low pitch ‘Errrr’ sound, and whatever good feelings Bosco was feeling from his brother’s success in turning on the portal were squashed.

“Uhhh what’s that sound?” Evan asked.

“Well that would be that little nuclear reactor powering that portal.” Bosco replied.

“Huh” Evan said.

“Yeah that’s the sound it makes when it’s going critical…”

“Ohhhhhhh” Both Evan and Jayson said. He didn’t tell them that they only had about two a minute before this whole base was turned into a superheated crater.

“Sooo yeah lets go through that portal.” Bosco said. Then an explosion sounded, and the door to the lab blew off its hinges and flew a few feet. When the smoke cleared, guards had already started running through the door way. Bosco and Daniel stared firing at them, trying to keep them somewhat hemmed in. They both backed towards the control panel as they did. “NOW”

Evan and Jayson had ducked off the chairs and behind the cover that they made while Daniel and Bosco continued their defensive actions. Bosco’s mind was slow motion as the fight went on. He felt every shot with great detail. The click of the trigger as he pulled it to the rear. The recoil of the shot as the bullet’s powered was expended and it traveled down the barrel sending his bolt back to chamber another round. The brass fly away from the ejection port in his peripherals. His eyes focused through his sights as he acquired targets.

With every shot he took an enemy went down, and his comrades would stumble and fall over them as they tried to rush through. It wasn’t enough though, as some did make it through his hail of fire, and they started firing back at them.
Bosco’s bolt locked to the rear, signaling he needed to reload. He ducked behind his cover and ejected his magazine, putting it into a pouch on his back. Bullets whizzed overhead, and slammed into the equipment they were using as cover. He checked his ammo supply. ‘5 full mags left. Well, that’s plenty for a final hurrah’ He took a fresh mag of rounds, inserted it into the magazine well and slapped the bolt release sending a round into the chamber. He then looked over at Daniel, who was fumbling to reload his own weapon.

“I’m going to get their attention,” he yelled over the gunfire. “When I do grab them and get them through to portal.”

“What about you?” Daniel yelled back at him.

“What about me?” Bosco gave him a smirk. “I’ll be right behind you.” Daniel wasn’t convinced but he crawled over to Evan and Jayson regardless. They both had looked as though they were going to die of fright instead of the bullets being sent at them. Once they both had grabbed onto their older brother, Bosco took a deep breathe to steal his nerves. ‘I really hope these guys suck at aiming.

With that he popped back out from behind the cover and started laying down fire at his foes, and Daniel made a run for the portal ramp.

Looking through his sights, Bosco focused on his sight picture, and acquired a target. His first was the face of a younger looking guard, who was pointing his own rifle directly at him. *BANG* A pink mist erupted from his forehead and he fell forward. Bosco then shifted left and zeroed in on a more weathered looking man, attempting to reach one of the pieces of equipment between him and Bosco as cover. *BANG* The side of the man’s head did the same as the first man’s forehead, and he fell behind the cover he sought and out of sight. With the main threat being identified, more guards focus their fire on him instead of at his brothers. *BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG* Bosco continued his hail of fire. The enemy fire was getting more accurate though. Rounds were ricocheting closer to him than was comfortable. He ducked down behind his cover and looked back back at the portal to see his brother’s progress.

Daniel had just made it to the portal, and he all but threw the younger siblings through it. It made kind of a rippling motion as they passed. Daniel then turned back to see Bosco pinned down by the nonstop gunfire coming from their attackers. The look he gave him told Bosco he wasn’t leaving until he made it through as well. ‘Awwwe he does care’.
As Daniel stared firing down at the now overwhelming number of guards. He was completely exposed on the ramp, and there was no way he would survive more than twenty seconds. Because of the gunfire and that was how much longer there was until Mr. Nuke went boom.

This is how I die’ Bosco stood up and sprinted as fast as he could towards the ramp. Bullets trailed behind him, kicking up debris.

He was hit in the side and he fell over. Luckily, the protective plating in his flak jacket did its job and stopped the bullet. He did feel one of his ribs had been broken from the impact though, as it was now painful to breathe.
Ignoring the pain he got back on his feet and rushed straight his brother towards the ramp. Why straight at him? Because the fucker wouldn’t leave until he did, and this place was about to be extra toasty. How did this help? Well if he rammed into him, he could force him through the portal with him rather than risk him becoming ashes. That and the gunfire was getting much closer to him. Too close. In fact, it would have hit Daniel, if not for Bosco’s brilliant maneuver. For when he rammed into him he force him out of the way of the path of the deadly projectiles.

Instead they hit Bosco. The protective plate stopped the first bullet, shattering it to pieces. The next two however passed right through it and into his back. The next thing Bosco knew was pain as he and his brother passed through wavy blue wall and into whatever lay beyond. When the made it through it felt as though he were falling forever and the breaths he attempted to take became even shallower. His vision began to waver and blackness closed in from the sides of his peripherals. ‘My, body…is trying…to die’ The last thing he heard was a rumbling explosion from behind him.