• Published 1st Oct 2011
  • 3,585 Views, 68 Comments

Heart of Gold, Heart of Stone - Col. Calamity



A dark, stern figure rocks Fluttershy's introverted world. Both have life lessons for the other.

  • ...
4
 68
 3,585

Chapter 4, Part I - Ponyville's New Arrival

Grim braced himself as he descended upon the rocky earth beneath him. He pulled up just above the ground, and his hooves produced an uneven thud as he touched down. He stopped to relish the feeling of flight, the fluid response of his muscles, and the familiar weight of his plated body. 'My recovery was even better than expected,' Grim thought to himself. 'Left is still a bit sore, but the break mended perfectly.'

He fully stretched his wings, arched his back, and groaned. The weight of the armor assemblies on either side was a welcome burden. The breast piece at his front and the plates across his back felt cool on his coat from his time in flight. The bracers on his legs hugged his muscles with a distinct familiarity, and his helmet was snug about his head, serving partially to keep his mane out of his face. His armor had become part of him, like a second skin, since the day he had imprinted himself upon it, and not wearing it made him feel...off. He was of course more lithe without it, but not so much as to grant an advantage in combat, and that was the point of the matter. After all, his body was attuned expressly for raw power, not agility.

'Now, what caliber of beast did I dispatch that day?' Grim had landed near the corpse of a large animal. It was an enormous thing; green scales glittered in the early morning sun, its massive leathery wings were unfurled on either side, and the limbs and tail were splayed in all directions. It was the corpse of a dragon, the male he had been tracking in that week past. Grim went closer to better examine it.

The head alone was larger than Grim's body. It lay squarely upright, the bony jaw sunk into the earth. Large spikes protruded from the top of the head and ran down the back, reaching toward the sky even as their owner lay dead. The wings were massive expanses of now decaying sinew hung about the stiff, spindly bones. Vicious teeth extended from out of the top of the closed mouth, and wicked claws accented the arms and legs. The green scales of the dragon's hide were closely knit together to form a natural armor Grim knew to rival the best work that royal smiths in Canterlot could produce. The dragon was truly a formidable foe, and Grim quietly expressed his respect in its death.

Copious amounts of ruby red substance had pooled and congealed in the indentation made by the corpse as it had fallen; dragon's blood. Grim took this to be indicative of the fatal wound and strode past the front of the snout on the left side, back toward the neck and rest of the body. He quickly found the source of the blood. A brutal laceration arced from just behind the jaw to the base of the throat, rending the flesh deeply.

The fatal wound was gaping now, the tissue sagging with the decay of the body, but Grim's masterful eyes could tell that the cut was almost surgical in its execution. He stepped back and slowly brought his right wing to bear. As it came horizontal, the armor assembly covering the wing hand began to move. Grim's wing jerked, and the brush of metal and mechanical clicking could be heard. The staggered plates within the assembly slid outward, the outer four going past the ends of their support rails. By some marvel of mechanics the last three plates were pivoted upon each other and swung until their lengths were in series, then pinioned and turned out ninety degrees by an extruded support from the fourth. A flat, pointed tip emerged from a hollow within the end plate. The result of this shifting was a large segmented blade extending out past the wingtip, formed from the plates.

Grim brought the blade up to the top lip of the wound. He traced it down its length, the wicked edge of the blade effortlessly shaving away some lingering gore. 'An acceptable cut,' he thought to himself. 'I would have preferred something more elegant, but circumstances considered...'

The pegasus paused, remembering just how he had escaped with his life that day. The images swirled in his mind's eye, mixed with sensations of pain and anger. After he had been grabbed and thrown (a mistake that would not have occurred without the distraction of the second dragon), he staggered to his hooves as the male charged him. With no time to dodge and his wings out of commission, he had decided to bear the brunt of the attack, and quickly formed the blade from his armor. Grim remembered repeating to himself one of his personal creeds: “If you are to die; die with honor, die with purpose, and die with your opponent.”

The dragon pounded the ground, plodding at top speed toward Grim. He opened his jaw wide, presumably to make the kill with his teeth, and lunged. Grim was just quick enough to feint left, missing the onslaught of fangs. The memory played through Grim's mind in slow motion. The dragon's head sailed past him, the glint of teeth passing safely to one side, the snap of the jaw closing shut filling his ears. Grim had retained the presence of mind to strike back, and plunged his blade into the neck of the beast. Between the momentum of the dragon's body and a flawless edge, the blade glided through the flesh, severing muscle and blood vessel alike.

The mortal blow had been dealt, but the dragon's body continued forward under its own inertia, and an extended wing slammed fully into Grim's chest. His breast piece protected him from the impulse, but he was knocked back to the ground, producing a resounding series of clangs as he skidded on the rocky soil. Finally he came to rest, at which point his body gave out; the adrenaline in his system was burning away, and the fatigue and sustained injuries from the encounter had overtaken him.

Grim lay for what seemed like ages. His body ached throughout, with sharp stabs of pain persisting in his legs and wings. He remembered for a while wondering if this was a suitable end, to die after having nobly carried out his duty. For a fleeting moment he almost welcomed the prospect of some creature happening by to finish him. The dragons were dead, but dragons were not the only danger of the Everfree Forest, and danger enjoys company.

But as quickly as this inclination had come, it was replaced with a ferocious need to press forward. He would not die here, and certainly not like this. What ignominious end would that be, to be eaten by some wretched scavenger? It was dishonorable, and therefore unacceptable. Grim steeled himself, and motivated his body through sheer force of will. He slowly rose, his legs feeling rubbery. Once he had taken a relatively stable stance, he searched his mind as to his most likely position within the forest, and settled on a probable point based on his travel that day.

The pain and lack of fortitude distorted his usually impeccable sense of direction, but he gauged his heading as best he could from the sun's place in the sky. With both position and heading, he tried to use his wings to lift himself from the ground and perhaps make his way to safety, but there was simply no strength left in them. They flopped pathetically to the ground under their own weight, and it was all Grim could do to bring them back into his sides. With flying an impossibility, he would have to brave the terrestrial perils of the forest. Thus he began the arduous journey through the trees that would eventually bring him to Fluttershy's cottage.

Grim thanked his fortunes as he contemplated the hardship his body was able to endure. Finished reminiscing, he passed his eyes for a final time over the cut, then to the back of the dragon's head. Satisfied that the male was dead, he withdrew from the body and readied his wings. He gave the feathered structures a mighty thrust, propelling his large form into the air with ease. He had always loved the noise his wings made when flapping. The sound of air rushing, being pushed back as he cut through it, seemed to him a small miracle each and every time.

He flew up the side of the mountain to where the female's body had fallen. Large boulders dotted much the mountain's surface. The crevices between the rocks and the earth provided shelter for young trees, and many had grown to adulthood, seemingly growing out from the sides of the boulders. Grim soon found the remains of the monster nestled among the boulders foliage, and landed on an overhanging rock above. He looked out over the edge to assess the damage he had done during his battle that day past. There was a clear discontinuity in the arm he remembered breaking. He couldn't tell about the wing joint, but if his memory was any indication, the dragon's fall was proof enough.

Grim jumped down from the rock, picking his way carefully to stand beside the neck of the beast. He analyzed the expanse briefly, looking for some sign of the place where he had struck her. He soon found a wide ring where the pattern of scales was somewhat skewed, and blood had pooled behind to seep between the small discontinuities. At this discovery he pressed the tip of his blade into the rotting flesh, navigating the hide and meat like a knife through butter. He dug down to the bone and cleared away the attached sinew over where he believed he had struck the killing blow. It wasn't long before he located the telling vertebra, and he pulled back his blade.

Grim's thoughts lingered over how the dragon had died as he made an analysis of the vertebra. 'Applied force almost symmetrical about the axis through the posterior. Arches collapsed inward. Centrum effectively crushed.' Grim lifted his wing, and it jerked again as the armor's mechanical workings retracted the blade and reformed into a cascade. “Instant,” he grunted at the final click of his armor before it went still. “A truly elegant way to end a life.” He sighed heavily and folded his wing. “But how much elegance can be found in something so needless as this?”

Grim moved away from the neck and came to sit next to dragon's head. The scales were a vibrant orange, giving off a soft glow in the sun, suggesting life even though Grim knew her to be dead for two weeks now. He looked at the large lidded eye and spoke softly, almost as if expecting a response. “What purpose did it serve to attack me? If I bore you any ill will, I would have struck first; could you not see that? What was the point in throwing away your life?” Grim pondered his own question, attempting to derive an answer through some vague analysis of the dragon's behavior that day. Coming to nothing, he stamped his hoof on the rock beneath him, cracking it. “Why?!,” he half yelled. “Why does it always come to this? You are sentient beings, capable of speech and reason. You can master yourselves, discard these monstrous impulses. Why do you not?!”

Grim continued to look at the eye, still shielded from view. There was no reaction from the dead beast. He knew there wouldn't be, but somehow the lack of an answer infuriated him. He stood and raised his wing again, the armor clicking and brushing to form the blade. He would gouge out that obstinate eye, deliver retribution for the crime of ignorance, make his anger known. Then Grim stopped. Self reproach replaced the anger inside him, and he reformed his armor. He gave another heavy sigh, closed his eyes, and hung his head.

“Anger will solve nothing; neither will desecrating a corpse,” he said to himself. “Why does this always enrage me so; how does slaying a beast illicit such a reaction? What keeps me from performing my duty and simply moving on?”

At this series of questions, a small melancholy voice within Grim's mind piped up, offering the answer. 'It's because you're just like them.'

“Just like them,” Grim murmured slowly. He sat down in silence and stared at the insides of his eyelids for a long time. He listened at the slow expansion and contraction of his powerful lungs, at the dull thud of blood being pumped from his burdened heart. “Just like them,” he repeated. “Is that the true answer?” He began to rationalize this simple statement. “All my life I have been feared by those who saw me. I could hear their whispers behind my back, feel the sting of their gazing.” He raised his wings and held them in front of his face, mulling the feathery contour of their bottoms. “My size has always intimidated others. But to show such disdain?”

Suddenly another voice from within spoke, this one extremely harsh. 'How could they not fear you? You're a monster.'

“A monster,” said Grim sullenly. “Like all the dragons I have slain. Monsters, slaves to their natures, unwilling to comport or restrain themselves, defectors from reason. Could I be such a creature?”

'Do you deny it?,' asked the voice.

Grim answered, willing his logic to prevail. “I am more than capable of holding dominion over my emotions and faculties. This alone is sufficient to set me apart.”

'But how long can that last? You can try, but everyone slips up, even you. And when you lose control, you certainly make a grand display. Don't you remember? Of course you do. And what's to say you won't stop the next time? What could stop you next time?'

At this a third internal voice chimed in. It was small, but very clear. 'She never thought you were a monster. Even after that instance. She saw you for what you were; befriended you.'

“My first real friend,” Grim breathed. “The first of very few.”

'What of your friends?,' shot the harsh voice. 'What can be said of a relationship spawned from convenience and circumstance? Besides, isn't it odd that all of your so-called friends possess strength nearly parallel to your own? Pathetic, if a requisite for friendship is lack of fear.'

'Not necessarily. Not anymore,' came the small voice, gaining strength. 'Think back to last night...'

“Fluttershy,” Grim whispered. He had regained sovereignty over his mind, and was sifting through the images and conversation of the previous night. “She never once shrank away from me; never gave me a look of fear. On the contrary, she seemed almost content with me.” Grim blinked slowly. He lowered his wings to his sides, and his tail flicked as he thought about the yellow pegasus. “It is odd though. Her demeanor is so...subdued, so meek. I would expect nothing short of terror, but it was she who proposed friendship. She wished to befriend me.”

The warrior pegasus's voice became more sure. “She rejected fealty, and instead chose friendship. She took great pains to care for me, citing the only reason as kindness. I must find my own way to return such an act. I must, after that...explanation.” Grim's mind wandered to the scene in which Fluttershy had hugged him from nowhere, and whispered into his ear about kindness. That particular display of emotion still puzzled him. He knew what a hug was of course, though he admittedly had little experience with such things. He had only ever met one pony daring (or crazy) enough to do so to him. But this hug was different; very different. Grim tried to match a term to the situation, but struggled. He kept coming back to the word 'tender', but was that it? If it was, he would not be able to know, as his knowledge of these things was limited to say the least. But perhaps his lack of knowledge was proof enough?

Grim shook his head, clearing away the muddling web of reasoning. “It does not matter. I will do as I have said. I will be her friend, and stand beside her for so long as I am in her debt.”

Like a cornered animal making a last desperate strike, the harsh voice returned in his mind, though not nearly as strong. 'But that begs the question; what happens when your life catches up? You don't think they'll look for you? You're Knight Commander of the Royal Lunar Vanguard. You believe you can simply walk away from that do you?'

“What debt I have incurred from the corps has been more than paid through my service. I persisted only at the behest of a friend. My allegiance has now changed, and my purpose honorable. I am secure in my right.”

'Do you honestly believe they'll see it that way?'

“Perhaps not. But I am Knight Commander of the Royal Lunar Vanguard. What match do they have for me?”

'They wouldn't need to defeat you. Judging from your new friend's disposition, all it would take is a good scare. The moment you show your true self, she'll reject you entirely. Where will you be then?'

“A moot point. Should the situation arise, I will handle it without confrontation.”

'We shall see,' the voice countered.

“So we shall,” Grim finished. He glanced once more at the female dragon's body before him. “There is nothing more to be gained from dwelling on this,” he told himself. “I should take my leave. I would imagine Fluttershy will wake soon. She may think it rude of me to wander without informing her.”

- - - - -


Fluttershy rolled onto her side, away from the intrusive sunlight shining through her window. Her mane flopped across her face, but she didn't really mind. Though she had already forgotten it, she knew she had been having a wonderful dream, and was trying to conjure it again. Her eyes flitted back and forth beneath their lids, her synapses fired rapidly, trying to dredge the pleasant illusion from that dark abyss where all dreams go to be erased. Her body was enveloped in her bed covers, and her stillness made her feel as if she was floating idly in that world of dark, her hooves lazily snatching at fractions of memory. As she lay there concentrating, she could hear from outside a strange sound. It was like the report of flapping, but each downstroke sounded much louder than what it should. Listening she could envision a grand pair of arching wings, moving through the air with ease, the dark colored feathers absorbing the sunlight.

Breaking away from her attempt at dream recovery, Fluttershy tried to think of what could be making such a sound. It wouldn't be Rainbow Dash; not this early. Other than a pegasus, she didn't know of any animals that would make noise like that. But then who...? Without warning the answer snapped to the forefront of her brain. She scurried out of bed, struggling with her wings against the covers, and fluttered to her bedroom window to see if she was correct. It took a moment of almost frantically casting her eyes over the yard, but she eventually found the iron gray figure contrasted with the green grass. Sure enough, there was Grim touching down in her front yard. Fluttershy could see that he had discarded the wrappings about his wings, and had even managed to put his armor on.

'What does he think he's doing?,' Fluttershy asked herself. 'He shouldn't be flying for another two weeks at least. I have to stop him before he hurts himself.' She hastily trotted out of her bedroom and down the stairs into the living room. She went to cross to the front door, but stopped as it opened before her. Grim's imposing form stepped through the doorway, the sunlight behind him glinting off parts of his armor.

Fluttershy remembered seeing Grim like this the night he appeared from the forest, but she had thought him a horrible beast then. She had also been able to look him over thoroughly before removing the heavy plating to treat him, but now she could see him in his proper form; a proud stallion, adorned in full battle regalia. Fluttershy tried to compare him with the royal bodyguards for Princess Celestia, who afforded her the only frame of reference she had, but Grim was decidedly different. He was larger of course, but the true difference was in how he carried himself.

The guards were always so hard looking, undoubtedly to deter any possible threat to the princess. Grim did not project this same air; he was intimidating to be sure, but not intentionally so. The guards' armor always looked bulky on them, and their helmets added to their hard aura, covering much of their faces. Despite being made of heavy plate, Grim's armor was form-fitted about his frame almost elegantly. Fluttershy was mildly surprised at how well he carried his wings; they were folded into his body very naturally, in spite of the shear weight she knew the armor to have. Grim's helmet obscured most of his face, but his distinctive eyes were very prominent, even in the shadow of the sleek, shaped design of the metal.

Grim closed the door behind him with a back leg and bowed his head to Fluttershy. “Good morning,” he greeted in his deep voice. “I hope I did not disturb you. I meant to return before you awoke.”

Fluttershy blushed mildly at the consideration Grim had expressed. “No, it's my fault. I should have gotten up sooner. I'm sorry.” Grim removed his helmet. The part of his white mane underneath rose with the removal, then fell languidly around his neck and partially into his face. He placed the helmet on the nearby sofa side table. Fluttershy watched him, wary of his action, then asked in a small voice, “Um, I'm sorry, but you said 'return'. Did you go somewhere?”

“Yes,” Grim said as he swept some troublesome hair to the side of his face. “Forgive me for not informing you. Such was my intention, but I thought perhaps I could go and return before you awoke so as not to trouble you. It seems, however, that that was not the case.” Grim gave a soft, sad look meant in apology.

“I see.” The color in Fluttershy's face deepened. “Well, thank you for meaning to tell me. Um, where did you go? If you d-don't mind my asking,” she inquired nervously.

“The forest, back to the scene of my ordeal. I had to take stock of the situation, and assure myself that my duty was completed. I suppose you could say I desired closure,” Grim answered matter-of-factly.

“Oh. I understand.” Fluttershy averted her eyes. For whatever reason, she was coming to find more and more that her feelings did not seem to work correctly when talking to Grim. It wasn't upsetting to her that Grim had left, but knowing that he could leave made her ill at ease. And yet the fact that he had come back made her strangely happy. She began to slowly trace a circle with her right forehoof in the wood of the floor. “Um, Grim? If you wouldn't mind, I mean if it's ok with you, could you...could you tell me next time... if you want to go somewhere on your own?” Fluttershy immediately realized her request may come as awkward and quickly appended, “The reason I ask is that I'm still taking care of you. I mean, you are still healing.”

Grim's soft look turned into the slightest of smiles. He nodded in acquiescence. “You have my word. I will not leave again without your knowledge. But it is as I told you last night; my body is made of stronger stuff than I'm sure you believe, and I am no stranger to hardship or injury. I have more or less healed to my original state. My body was quite responsive and strong during my outing.”

“That may be,” Fluttershy said as she gained confidence and met Grim's eyes. “But a lot of times the injured think they're better off than what they really are. I just don't want to see you get hurt. The state you were in, I don't know if I could bear to see you like that again.”

A pang of something unfamiliar to Grim shot briefly across his consciousness. There was little he loathed more than the pity of another, but he knew whatever he felt from Fluttershy not to be pity. Unable at the moment to reason what exactly this feeling was, he discarded it for the sake of simplicity, though he was sure he would later come back to it, and redirected his attention to the conversation at hand. His smile expanded minutely. “If that is how you feel, then I will - what is the phrase - take it easy. At least until you are comfortable with my progress. Is that acceptable?”

Fluttershy perked up, her confidence holding. “Yes, very. I'd like that.”

Grim bowed. “Then I will do so. But I would hope that you never trouble yourself further on my account. I am conscious and cognizant now; there is no effort you can make that I cannot make for myself.”

“Oh, don't worry about that. I love taking care of others,” said Fluttershy sweetly, her spirits lifted thoroughly at Grim's agreeable demeanor. “Speaking of which, would you mind if I checked your wounds? I don't doubt you're feeling better, but I'd like to check anyway. If that's ok.”

“As you wish.” Grim turned and presented his right side so that he might be examined. Fluttershy stepped slowly toward the comparatively towering figure and placed her front hooves upon the scar on the back-right leg. As she did, she was greeted with the warm sensation of flesh and the rock-like resistance of muscle under her touch. She registered the sensation, and for some reason beyond her understanding Rarity's voice rang out in her head, saying “And Fluttershy, don't have too much fun treating your patient”.

The snippet of dialog from yesterday was then gone, just as unexpectedly as it had come. Fluttershy hazily told herself that she still did not know what that meant, then refocused upon her examination. The scar began just under the bottom of the plating cascading down over Grim's sides from his back, and ran jaggedly down about eight inches or so. Fluttershy grimaced at the thought of the pain that must have come with such a wound. “Well, I can see it never got infected,” she muttered to herself. “It looks like the mint leaves did their job. Stitches wouldn't have made much of a difference as far as the scarring goes, I'm sorry to say. ” She rubbed her hooves in a searching manner up and down the length of the scar. “There's definitely a knot of repaired tissue underneath, but blood flow doesn't seem to be hindered at all. Everything considered, I'd say this is about the best outcome we could hope for.”

Finished with the back leg, Fluttershy then moved to the front. She performed the same diagnostic on the sister scar, and came to the same conclusion. “Well, you're doing quite well so far,” she told Grim cheerily. “Now, can I see your left wing please?” Grim complied, and turned to the other side with his wing unfolded and pointed toward the ceiling. Fluttershy positioned herself alongside him, facing the same direction. Standing on her hinds simply to reach, she took her entire right leg and placed it in the crook of the main wing joint and Grim's back, cautiously avoiding pinching it between his back plates and wing plating. Her other front leg she used to pull the wing in question down until it was horizontal. “Alright, now I want you to move your wing like you normally would when flying, but slowly, if you please.”

Grim did as he was bade, and cycled his wing through a flapping motion. Fluttershy carefully watched and felt the muscle and bone of the wing joint as it moved. The motion was fluid and continuous, not jerky or strained such as the telltale marks of wrenching. She watched until she was satisfied, then pushed down on the wing to signal a halt. “That's enough. I think you can stop now.” She removed her leg from the wing joint and stepped back, and Grim turned to face her. Fluttershy glowed warmly, “That's actually much better off then I imagined. I won't bother with checking the break in your right. You'd know if that wasn't mended. I think you were right about your strong body. You made one of the best recoveries I've ever seen.”

“I am glad to hear it,” Grim said, trying to match Fluttershy's warmth in spite of himself. “But do not neglect to give credit to yourself. My body may be strong, but I have no doubt that my life would be forfeit had it not been for you.”

A reddish tinge began to creep up Fluttershy's face. “I don't know about that.”

“Perhaps not, but I can confidently say that I do. Your modesty is nothing short of refreshing, but you saved my life, and I owe you just as much.”

“Grim, I appreciate the praise, but remember what we agreed on last night. You don't owe my anything. My decision, remember?” Before Grim could answer, Fluttershy continued, “You said you've been out all morning, right? Did you have breakfast? Do you want some?”

The soldier pegasus moved away from what he was about to say and considered the proposition of breakfast presented him. Almost as if by cue his stomach rumbled heavily. “It appears my innards have developed a habit of betraying me,” Grim growled, looking down warningly. “Well, to answer your question, yes. Breakfast would be much appreciated. Only if it is of little effort on your part, however.”

“Nonsense. Come on, let's have a nice bowl of oats; simple and tasty.” Fluttershy turned and made her way into the kitchen, followed by Grim. The larger of the two went to sit at the table, again moving aside a chair in order to sit on the floor. Fluttershy began milling around inside her pantry, looking for a bag of oats to prepare the meal. Her tail extended out past the door frame, flicking in preoccupation as she searched. Grim cocked his ears in mild confusion, and listened to the rustling and the pastel pegasus's mumbling coming from within.

“Now let's see. Where was it? Here?,” she said, lifting a canvas sack. “Oh no, I'm out of hay. I'll need to buy some soon,” she mused after taking a close look at the sack she had moved. “And no, not there. Maybe here? No. And I'm out of wheat flour too,” she mused again at the removal of another sack. “Perhaps... No. And the corn meal is gone. Oh my. But wait; here!”

Fluttershy emerged from the pantry holding a half-full sack with the word “OATS” stamped across the front. “Here we go. Now, let's pour-” SSSHHHH. The rip of fabric and the rush of grainy material flowing reported through the small kitchen. The bottom seam of the bag had suddenly torn, spilling the remainder of the contents. Fluttershy gasped. She looked down at the floor, dumbstruck, then held the bag up to her face. “What happened?,” she wondered aloud, crestfallen.

Grim got up, examined the oats upon the floor, and pointed down. “It appears that some of your animal friends decided to indulge themselves in your larder.” Sure enough, there were three field mice struggling in the pile of spilled oats. They had apparently been asleep inside the bag, and were now staring up at Grim in a combined state of befuddlement and horror “I would wager they ate through the bottom of the bag, and it gave way.”

Grim leered down at the mice, disapproval etched in his face. The mice began to tremble under his gaze, but spun round upon hearing Fluttershy's voice. “Aww, you poor things. Did you get hungry during the night? Is that why you ate your way into the bag?,” she cooed in a comforting tone. The mice hung their heads in unison and nodded weakly, not willing to look up at Fluttershy. She gave a small, breathy laugh. “Oh, that's alright. Everyone gets hungry.” She put her face low, next to the mice, and nuzzled them. “We all have to eat, don't we? It's ok.”

Fluttershy pulled her head back up, and the middle mouse gestured with his front paws and chattered something. Grim caught himself thinking this to be meant as some sort of an apology. Fluttershy returned a heartened look, as if she could decipher the meaning of the action. “I understand. Let me help. I'll give you the rest of these oats here. Don't be shy. They've been on the floor anyway. But next time, I would ask that you just tell me if you run out of food. Deal?”

The three mice chattered excitedly, and scurried to Fluttershy's leg to hug her. Fluttershy caressed them back with her spare hoof. “You're so sweet. Now go on and get the rest of your family so you can take this back to your den. And I want you all to share if anyone else asks.” With one last affirmative gesture the mice bolted to the back of the kitchen and through a hewn crack in the back door. Fluttershy watched them leave, then turned her attention back to Grim. Her face had instantly changed to feature a mixture of sheepishness and worry.

“I'm really sorry Grim. I promised you breakfast, but it looks like I'm out of everything. I've got other food, but nothing good for breakfast.” Grim looked on, his expression of disapproval slackened, but still somewhat present. “I- well-,” Fluttershy trailed off with a meek whimper under the sight of Grim's visage.

“It is fine if we do not have breakfast,” said Grim, taking Fluttershy's reaction as disappointment in herself. “An early morning meal is most often a luxury for me. It is nothing with which I am unfamiliar. Do not trouble yourself.”

Fluttershy absentmindedly pinned her ears back, trepidation mounting in spite of Grim's reassurance. “Oh. But you...you look upset.”

“Upset?,” Grim muttered in bemusement, more to himself. He thought momentarily. “Oh,” he breathed as realization sparked in his mind. He assumed a tone of rough remorse. “Oh, no. I hope you can forgive me. I am aware that I have what one may call... a severe face. I will admit that the mice rather threw me. I think that is most likely the cause of whatever you might have seen in my countenance. Believe me when I say that I have no ill feelings about the situation, despite what you may perceive.” Grim finished his explanation with a weak smile.

“So you're saying you're not disappointed? Or mad? Or upset? Or- or angry?,” Fluttershy asked, her stunning blue eyes full of cautious hope, locked with Grim's of stoic stone gray.

“I am,” Grim affirmed, somehow knowing he could say nothing to the contrary. Even as he spoke, he again felt another uncharacteristic twinge, but again he discarded it. “The attempt at such an act of- kindness- is more than enough for me. It is I who owe you a debt, if you will recall. You need not fear for my well being.”

Blushing after the smile Grim was still giving her, Fluttershy partially regained her composure. “A-alright. As long as you're sure.” She turned from the large figure and went back to the pantry, more to cover her efforts at comporting herself than actually searching for other food stuffs. She shifted a few things here, then a few more there, but nothing in the small storage space lent itself well to a hearty morning meal.

With a small huff of defeat Fluttershy pulled herself from the pantry and sat on the kitchen floor facing Grim. “I take it you still did not find anything that you wanted,” the iron gray pegasus stated.

“No,” Fluttershy responded, this time truly disappointed. “I thought I might have had something, but it looks like I'm out of everything. No oats, no cornmeal, nothing.”

“I do appreciate the gesture, but it is of little difference whether I have breakfast or not. However, if I may, perhaps a trip to the grocer is in order?”

“I thought about going to the store. But it takes such a long time to go. I usually have to make several trips when I buy food. And I'll probably have to oversee the beavers with their dam repairs upstream very soon. I'm not sure if I should.” Fluttershy sat quietly in thought for a short time. She then suddenly jumped to her hooves. Grim's seasoned body twitched in surprise. “Oh, but I could go to the store. And you could- and they would- and then-”

“Is there something wrong, Fluttershy?,” came Grim's voice when she had paused from her initial outburst. Fluttershy's eyes were immediately drawn to Grim's, and a quick warm pulse covered her body at his utterance of her name.

“Grim, could you- only if you wanted to- could you go to town, to the store with me? I wouldn't make you do anything, or carry anything.” Fluttershy's pacing was picking up, as it was prone to do when she was nervous and had something to explain. “I just ask because all my friends are in town, and they've all been coming by to check on you since I found you. I know they would want to meet you, and get to know you, and I'm sure that they'd like you, and want to be your friends. It wouldn't take too long. We'd just stop and meet everyone in turn, then buy what food I need, and come back here. Would that be...ok?”

Since he had woken up, this was the first time that Grim had felt any sort of uneasiness when conversing with Fluttershy. Taking special care to navigate the conversation Grim replied, “Accompanying you to the store would be no problem at all. But meeting other ponies is something very different. I will be honest with you; I am not very skilled in dealing with social situations.”

“What makes you say that?,” asked Fluttershy genuinely, her enthusiasm somewhat stymied.

“Well, others tend to view me as off-putting. You have been very gracious not to say so, but I know you have noticed I am not what one would label as 'normal'. My size alone is enough to invite fear or scorn, and my way of speech only serves to worsen things. Are you certain it is wise, allowing me to go?”

“Of course,” said Fluttershy in the most comforting of tones. “My friends are the best anypony could ever ask for. And Ponyville is full of all kinds of nice ponies.”

“Can you be sure? Of your friends' acceptance I mean. I do not wish to cause tension or strife with your personal affairs.”

“You won't have any problem at all. And I know my friends would really love to meet you. You don't have to go if you don't want to, but I would like it if you did.”

At Fluttershy's last words, Grim knew that by obligation he had no other choice in the matter. Reluctantly, he resolved his will and stood at attention. “If that is the case, then by my honor and duty I shall go.”

“Yay,” the yellow pegasus cheered softly as she put her front hooves together. “I'm so glad.”

“But what of the engagements to the animals you mentioned previously?”

“Oh, they'll be fine. They've had two weeks to get settled for the spring. One day without me should be ok. Hang on. I'll get my saddle bags, then we can go.” With that, Fluttershy cantered out of the kitchen and up the stairs. Grim eyed her as she left.

When he could hear her on the stairs his posture loosened, and he released a quiet sigh. 'This is not going to end well,' he thought to himself. Grim's brain buzzed with uneasy thoughts of past times in which he was thrust into interaction with other ponies. Memories of walking the streets of Canterlot, of gathering information from other ponies while on mission, of even trying to purchase some bread in city market districts snaked their way through his mind's eye like painful brambles. He had traveled across the entire country of Equestria, from east to west. He had been to all the major cities; Stalliongrad, Scotsdale, Cloudsdale, Manehattan, Saddleton, and others. Even these cosmopolitan centers, familiar with all types of visitors and transients, showed little acceptance of an oversized soldier stallion.

'Given that, I can only imagine what this Ponyville is going to be like,' thought Grim. 'I am sure Fluttershy is genuine in her belief, but that does not make it reality.' Grim cast his eyes absentmindedly about the entryway to the living room and stairs. He was looking for nothing in particular, but a glossy surface to the left caught his attention. He walked closer, and found it to be a pane of glass inset into a wooden piece of furniture; a pie safe. The piece was aged, and its wear was obvious, but it was otherwise clean and carefully kept. The glass had lost some of its translucence over the years, giving it the reflective quality that now showed Grim the image of his own face.

'Have I made a mistake?,' he mentally asked his own reflection. 'Was I presumptuous in the thought that I could repay her generosity?' Grim's muscles in his forelegs tensed, his anger at himself rising. 'Am I truly that desperate to escape my existence; I leap at the chance to pledge myself to another life? I should have known there would be social barriers. I should have anticipated this. I did anticipate it. I was merely too stubborn in my own wants and convictions; caught in the heat of emotion that should never have manifested itself.'

Grim's legs were tensed to their maximum, shaking upon the very floor. He could see the muscles in the jaw of his reflection bulging, the malice smoldering in his own eyes. 'Now I have supplanted myself in the life of an innocent filly, and nothing can come of this but pain. The ponies in town will reject me, and my past will find me out eventually. I am a damnable fool.'

Suddenly the small voice from earlier that morning rang through the roiling ire in Grim's head. 'Everything happens for a reason. How many times have you been told that? Maybe, just this once, you could take a chance?'

'Trust such a common adage, a meager justification for misfortune or some other happenstance? What good has that ever done?'

'The makings of a viable situation can sometimes lie within one's disposition. Even you can appreciate that.'

'Perhaps. But the corps will not sit idly by. I will be tracked here at some point. And social interaction only expedites such a possibility. Especially considering Fluttershy's friend, Twilight Sparkle. I did not remember at first, but I know all too well of her relationship with Celestia. It would only take one correspondence...'

'The chances of her making a connection would be slim at best. You have accepted much heavier risk before.'

'Those were risks associated with known variables. Another entity provides for an unknowable variable.'

'This is the first chance you have had in a long time to absolve yourself of your past and a life for which you did not ask. Would you make this opportunity a stillborn only out of some preconceived notions of social rejection and comeuppance?'

'Can I be blamed? I am a product of my past experiences. Everything I have known until now tells me I walk toward failure. Aside from that, it is not fair to involve another with my struggle. I have known her all of less than a day combined, but Fluttershy is the most genuine pony I have ever met. What right do I have to even ask something more of her?'

'Fluttershy showed you kindness unparalleled. If you will recall, there was another who showed you similar treatment once. Perhaps this time you could try to not bear the complete burden yourself, and allow the heart of another to work in your life. Perhaps that is the answer to your ultimate conundrum.'

Grim's rage subsided. The last words of his exchange with himself continued to echo in the depths of his mind. “The heart of another,” he whispered to himself. “Is the answer beyond my singular strength?”

“I'm back,” came Fluttershy's voice to Grim's right. “I'm sorry you had to wait on me. I had to find my bags. Is everything alright?” Fluttershy thought she had for the briefest of moments glimpsed anger on Grim's face.

Upon hearing Fluttershy's voice Grim instantaneously wiped his brain clear and reassumed his stoic, controlled air. He turned toward Fluttershy and purposefully widened his eyes in order to feign surprise. “Wrong? No, nothing is wrong. I was only admiring your kitchen. For all of your animal charges, you keep a very clean home.”

Fluttershy beamed at the compliment. “Thank you. I do what I can. It's not easy at times, but it's what I love to do, taking care of animals.” She had retrieved her saddlebags, which were now slung across her back under her folded wings. “So, are you ready to go? Do you need anything before we leave?”

“Not that I am aware. I am ready whenever you are.”

“Ok then. We can go out the front door.” Fluttershy led the way through the living room to the door. She opened it, and a radiant wave of sunshine flooded her body. She took a deep contented breath of the fresh outside air and stepped through the portal, followed by Grim. Fluttershy trotted out a ways down the path from her house, and Grim shut the front door behind himself before following. “Would you prefer to walk, or to fly?,” asked Fluttershy.

“I would prefer flight, if it makes no difference to you,” Grim said as he ruffled his wings. “My small adventure this morning was a good start, but I would like to test myself further. Would that be satisfactory?”

“Flying is fine with me. Should we take things slowly? Or would you want to go faster?”

Grim completely unfurled his wings in preparation for take off. “I will adopt your pace. It is up to you.”

Fluttershy brought her wings out and lifted herself gently into the air, like a leaf being caught by a small stream of wind. She flew up until she came level with a nearby tree top. “Alright. Why don't we go slow this time, and faster on the way back?”

“Agreed,” Grim responded. He raised his wings to their highest position, then with a mighty sweep he thrust his body into the air. The action sent a residual gust in all directions, and Fluttershy was unexpectedly knocked back a ways. Grim saw this, and slowed the frequency of his flapping to lower himself from the top of his take off to her level. “I am truly sorry,” he apologized with a note of worry. “Very rarely do I fly adjunct to anyone. I admittedly cannot gauge my own strength in good esteem. Are you hurt?”

“N-no,” Fluttershy stammered as she checked the security of her bags. “I'm not hurt. But thank you for asking.” She reached her head back and pulled on a protruding strap, tightening the buckle that held the binding about her middle. Finished, she swept some flyaway hair in her mane from her face and shakily smiled at Grim. “I didn't see that coming. I suppose I should have, looking at your wings. But I'm fine, honest.” She gave a last meaningful glance, then cocked her head pointedly. “Come on; town is this way.”

The smaller pegasus ascended over the forest canopy level and began heading in the direction of Ponyville, with Grim prudently in tow. Taking great care not to produce any more residual effects from his wings, Grim flew up alongside her. Fluttershy turned her head and observed him as he powered through the late morning air. Her eyes roved over his articulated muscles, and her ears synced themselves with the almost thunderous strokes of his wings. In the calm of the sky Grim's motion was almost mesmerizing as spots of sunlight were reflected and moved with the metal covering his wings.

Before she could stay her curiosity, Fluttershy chirped, “Is it difficult, flying with all that armor on?” After she had asked, Grim gave her an unreadable look. She immediately regretted asking. “I d-didn't mean to pry. I'm sorry. It was rude to ask”

Grim's mouth cracked into a knowing grin. “Curiosity is nothing of which to be ashamed. I fully understand you wishing to know. If I had a bit for every time I was asked, I would be considerably wealthy. In answer to your question, it was difficult at first. I grew into my wings very early, and they have always been strong. When I fashioned this armor for myself however, it was more burdensome than I had projected it would be, and the weight took some acclimation on my part. Moving my wings was a task in itself, and supporting the rest of my body in flight was another matter entirely. But as you can see, my body gained strength with time. Now I feel uncovered as a newborn foal without it.”

“I see.” Fluttershy pictured Grim as a large colt, trying to support the seemingly impossible weight on wings already too large for him. Then she came to a realization. “But, if it's ok to ask, how do you get it on by yourself? Isn't it at least a two pony job?”

“Ah. A more interesting question, that is,” said Grim, still bearing his grin. “I will answer you, if you will indulge me first. I wondered something as I prepared this morning. How exactly did you get my armor off. I do not mean offense, but such a feat would require a fair amount of strength and mechanical knowledge, neither of which I would have imagined that you possess.”

Fluttershy let out a quick laugh. “Well, to tell the truth, I more dragged it off of you than anything. I had to remove it to treat you properly, and I guess the urgency helped as far as being strong enough. Angel bunny actually found the clasps on your breast piece, and I don't know what he did for the wings. But once they were loose, I did whatever I could to drag them away from your body.”

“I am impressed. Your Angel is an exceptional companion. And you must be stronger than what your appearance would indicate.” Fluttershy allowed part of her mane to fly into her face, covering her sheepish expression. “My turn now, I suppose. You asked how I put my armor on? The true answer is actually rather involved, but the short version is that my armor possess many magical properties, both instilled and inherent. There is a process in the more advanced realms of arcane study known as “imprinting”. This process grants a certain user mental sovereignty over an object through magic, meaning the user can access through his or her mind the capabilities or functions of that object.”

“So what you're saying is that you can control your armor with your mind?,” Fluttershy marveled.

“That is the gist, yes. For example, I have two assemblies on each wing, connected with a ball-and-socket joint. Each assembly has under it two canvas straps that come together with a buckle, which holds it to my wing. By the power of imprinting, combined with the degrees of freedom of the canvas straps, magic moves the straps until they come together. Magic also buckles them together, and even can manipulate the ball-and-socket for better positioning. Bearing that in mind, all I must do to take up my armor is, say, hold my wing underneath the assembly, touch the top of my wing to it, and mentally will the assembly to affix itself to me.”

“That's sounds really amazing,” Fluttershy breathed in awe.

“I am sure it sounds more amazing than it actually is,” Grim replied modestly. “There is much more at work than imprinting mind you. A thorough understanding of the intricacies of Magical Mechanic Theory is crucial, and when dealing with objects that are polymorphic, the mathematics and runic inscriptions can be-” Grim cut off abruptly. He screwed up his face and cocked his ear into the wind, listening intently.

“Grim? Is something the matter?”

“Do you hear that?” Grim's voice had shifted to a deep, harsh rasp.

Fluttershy listened out, now in a state of waxing panic. “I don't hear-” She stopped. Without warning Grim wheeled in her direction and lunged at her, his wings held at full span after propelling himself. She could only watch in adrenaline filled wonder and horror, her mind throwing the scene into slow motion, as the giant pegasus hugged her to himself with his front legs and fanned his massive wings about them.

Her ears pounding from a fear-stricken heart and the cadence of flapping, Fluttershy instinctively looked up from her embrace to try and see what was happening. At first she could see only Grim's mane being whipped about in the air, but in a miniscule frame of time in which it was blown back, she saw something streaking toward them from up above at breakneck speed. In the next instant Grim's entire body jarred forward, and a loud thud resounded above Fluttershy's head.

The now terrorized mare buried her face in the valley of Grim's neck and shoulder, unwilling to look to see what had collided with them. She braced the rest of her body as best she could, and perked her ears to listen, though she really only wished the danger would go away. Initially the only sound following the thud was the continued beat of Grim's wings. Then, like the straining of a tree in the wind, a groan came from where the object had crashed.

“What- what happened? Hey, this isn't the ground.”

Fluttershy pitched her head upward, searching for the face of the pony that had spoken. She knew that voice all too well. Her suspicion was confirmed when she could see a tuft of multicolored hair jutting from somewhere over Grim's neck. “Rainbow Dash?!,” she called, elation building inside her at the knowledge she was not, in fact, in mortal peril.

The tuft of hair moved at Fluttershy's calling, and the sky blue pegasus named Rainbow Dash peaked over the side of Grim's head. “Wha- Fluttershy? What are you doing? What is this?”

“I think it is I who should be asking,” Grim answered, steadiness having returned to his voice, “considering it is you who has landed on my neck.”

Rainbow Dash faltered, nearly falling to one side of Grim's body. “Whoa. Who said that? Who's there?!”

“Down here,” said Grim as he tossed his head in annoyance. Rainbow Dash shot up into the air, then came down to a hover at face level with Grim. She went to say something, then halted as her attention was drawn to Fluttershy, still held closely in Grim's embrace.

“Hey pal, just what do you think you're tryin' to pull?,” Rainbow spat as she pointed at the sight before her.

Grim looked down at his middle to where Rainbow was pointing. He then realized what she had meant by her questioning admonition. “Are you alright, Fluttershy?,” he asked calmly, loosening his hold on her body.

Fluttershy let herself drop through Grim's legs, then flew up to a hover on level with Rainbow and Grim. “I- I'm fine,” came her tremulous voice. “I'm not hurt.”

“What do you have to say for yourself?,” Rainbow demanded of Grim.

“Rainbow Dash,” Fluttershy whimpered.

Grim's annoyance was deepening by the second. “I could ask you the same question. What reckless abandon was that, hurtling through the sky with no control of your flight path? Are you touched in the head?”

“Grim,” Fluttershy whimpered more worriedly.

“I have no idea what you said, but it sounded like an insult. You wanna go?” Rainbow put up her front legs and made a punching gesture.

“Rainbow Dash,” Fluttershy tried for a third time.

“From what I have seen, that will not be necessary. I should let you go about your business; you will injure your own self soon enough.”

“I'll fly circles around you,you-”

“WAIT!,” Fluttershy yelled as loudly as she could. Grim and Rainbow turned to look at her. Her one spurt of courage now exhausted, Fluttershy then shrank back in her timidity. “I'm sorry,” she murmured. “It's just that you two weren't listening.” She glided to Rainbow's side. “Rainbow Dash, there's no need to be mad. He was just trying to protect me. Weren't you Grim?”

Grim nodded sternly. “I was. I could hear something rushing through the air, and when I saw what I know now to be you, I instinctively threw myself around her as a shield,” Grim explained to Rainbow.

“See? That's all that happened,” Fluttershy chimed.

“Oh,” said Rainbow as embarrassment was beginning to build within her face. She rubbed the back of her neck with a hoof. “Oh. Well, I...didn't know that. Wait. Fluttershy, you know this guy?”

“Oh yes. Don't you recognize him? Well, maybe you don't. The last time you saw him, he was unconscious on my living room floor with bandages all over. Rainbow Dash, this is my new friend. This is Grim.”