• Published 1st Oct 2011
  • 3,585 Views, 68 Comments

Heart of Gold, Heart of Stone - Col. Calamity



A dark, stern figure rocks Fluttershy's introverted world. Both have life lessons for the other.

  • ...
4
 68
 3,585

Chapter 2 - An Unexpected Tea Party

Fluttershy found herself lying on her back outside. She could hear the wind sweeping through tall grass all around her. A faint chirping from what she knew to be a lark was coming from somewhere off in the distance. The sun was bright and strong, the light fighting its way through her closed eyelids. She had the strange feeling that someone else was there with her. They were not directly beside her, but rather standing away, just out of wings' reach.

Fluttershy spoke; not to anyone in particular, perhaps not even to herself. “I've never really known companionship to be honest. With somepony else I mean. I have all of my animal friends of course, and I have so many, and they're all so adorable and wonderful. And there's Angel who is always with me. And he's such a good helper. But at the end of the day, when I lie in bed waiting to fall asleep, there's no one there to talk to, to share things with.

“I have friends though. There's Rarity and Applejack, Pinkie and Twilight, and Rainbow Dash. And They really are the best friends anypony could ask for, really. They would do anything for me, and I would do the same for them. But it's still just...not...” Fluttershy paused for a moment. Her next words trembled on the tip of her tongue.

A longstanding feeling of loneliness was threatening to burst forth in her heart. If she put this into words, it would only make it that much more of a reality. She rolled over onto her stomach and sat up, using her wings to brush herself off so that she may bide the time as the feeling of personal isolation faded.

“Well, I'm not that interesting anyway.” Fluttershy let slip a small sigh, looking off across the wide expanse of field in which she found herself. The wind brushed her mane across her shoulder, back and forth. Still gazing across the monotonous landscape, she asked the semi-corporeal presence, “What about you? Have you ever had something more than just, you know, friendship? Companionship, I mean.” She listened for the response, hearing no intelligible words, but somehow clearly understanding the message being conveyed to her. Images of her life without her friends flashed through her mind, and Fluttershy could feel sadness creeping up from the depths of her stomach again.

“Oh...I'm so sorry. That doesn't sound very nice at all. Actually, that sounds...” It was too much for her. Fluttershy's eyes welled up. Large tear drops were beginning to form in their ducts. She began to cry softly, her heart aching for this other presence. Suddenly she felt the brush of feathers across her face, gently wiping her tears away. The caress of the wingtip was comforting, soothing, even, dare she think it, loving. Weather it was her wing, or the wing of another, she could not seem to discern. She turned her head to see...

Fluttershy awoke with a jerk of her head. A slight dizziness muddied her mind, and her vision was blurred from sleep. She blinked her eyes, the pupils adjusting to the light in the room. She was hazily aware that the sun was out and shining through her window. With a small yawn she laid her head back down to arrange her thoughts and burn away the after effects of slumber, the dream already slipping into the confines of her subconscious mind. A smile formed across her face as her head met something warm and very soft. 'I do so love this sofa,' the sleepy pony thought.

A bird was chirping outside, and as Fluttershy listened she realized it was somehow recently familiar; it was a lark. She turned her head up in the direction of the sunlight, attempting to look through the window to find the precious little bird. As she opened her eyes she dimly thought 'The window seems much further away than what it should. What...?' Her vision then lit upon her familiar sofa under the window. Fluttershy's mind slowly closed itself around the fact that she was not on her favorite sofa, but rather on the floor. 'How did I get down here?,' she tried to reason. 'And what am I lying on?'

Fluttershy lifted her head to see her new found pillow. 'Feathers?,' she thought, mystified. 'But what...?' She froze as all of the memories from the night before came rushing back to her consciousness; the encounter outside, the pegasus's collapse, taking him in, washing his wounds, bandaging him. She squeaked and jerked her wings to thrust herself into the air. A hanging birdhouse struck her in the back of the head and she faltered a bit. Coming to a low hover over the pegasus still lying on her floor, she examined the spot where she had been resting. The feathers in the crook of the right wing shoulder joint were lain to the side, the depression just large enough for a pony's head. There was no telling as to how long she had been like that. 'Oh Fluttershy, what is the matter with you? Don't you have any decency at all?'

She had begun her descent to the floor so that she may take stock of the pegasus's condition when a loud knock came from the front door. A pulse of panic shot through her entire body, and her wings immediately locked in place at her sides. She fell onto the sofa below, then bounced onto the floor with a thud. She struggled momentarily to situate her legs to stand. Fluttershy's thoughts raced as she picked herself up and braced herself to open the door. 'Who could it be, and what are they going to think if they see me like this? They have to know I'm home after that. Maybe not. Maybe I can just not answer. No, I can't do that. Oh, what to do?'

Fluttershy edged ever closer to the door, hoping the unexpected visitor would make themselves known before she opened it. 'What if they see him on the floor like that? How do I explain something like this without looking just awful? I can tell the truth, but will they believe it? I'm not sure if I believe it.' Another knock sounded, making Fluttershy blanch. Her fear was plateauing, her hoof rising to meet the door handle, when a voice came from outside. It was a familiar voice; very hearty with a strong drawling accent.

“Fluttershy? Fluttershy? You home? I didn't see you outside tendin' things so I figured I'd come a knockin'.” Fluttershy's apprehension decreased significantly. It was Applejack, her longtime friend and strongest of the Apple family daughters. Of any possible visitor in Ponyville, she was by far the most desirable, being known for her calm temperament and levelheaded outlook on things.

Fluttershy opened the door, the sunlight from outside surging through the entryway. The caramel colored farm pony was standing on the doorstep; her sun blonde mane and tail were bound in a practical manner at the ends with red rings, and her signature hat was poised atop her head. “Oh, Applejack, good morning,” Fluttershy said quietly with a wan smile. “How are you today?”

Applejack gave a broad smile in turn, but this faded as she briefly assessed the appearance of her friend. Fluttershy's mane, usually brushed into a prim, elegant curve around her face, was now almost messy. Her voice was even softer than usual, and her eyes looked very tired. “I could ask you the same question, sugar cube,” Applejack responded with concern. “It's not mornin', just so you know. Um, beggin' yer pardon but, what overturned yer applecart?”

“Huh? N-no one,” Fluttershy spluttered hastily, her voice raised a little. “I mean nothing. I...uh...I just had a long night...is all. I-I had trouble sleeping.” A pang of guilt could be felt deep in her chest. Lying was not going to accomplish anything. “Wait, did you say it's not morning? What time is it?”

Applejack looked toward the sun to gauge the time. “Oh, I'd say 'bout two o'clock or so. You didn't just wake up did you?”

Fluttershy internally scolded herself. How could she sleep so late in the day when she had so much to do? It was all just too much. “Oh, yes. Yes I did. Like I said, long night.” The conversation lapsed into a short silence, with Applejack looking somewhat awkwardly at Fluttershy. “Oh, I'm so sorry, is there something you needed from me?,” Fluttershy asked as she remembered her manners.

Applejack's smile returned at this. “Nothin' fer me, thanks. But I brought ya'll a bit of a surprise.” She turned her head and nodded to indicate a wooden cart behind her, hitched about her middle. There were juicy looking apples piled high in the cart, up over the edges. “We got a pretty good haul last year, an' we put back more 'n what we needed fer the winter. They'll go bad soon if they don't get eaten, and t'ain't nothin' worse in this world 'n a wasted apple. I closed the market stall early today, seein' as how the pegasus ponies are plannin' a right downpour this afternoon, and came here. The whole family's been givin' the extras away to friends, and you were my first thought since you got all these critters to feed. So, y'all want some apples?”

Fluttershy's spirits soared. Sometimes it was a mere act of kindness, the knowledge that someone else was thinking of her, to make everything better. Her eyes brightened instantly. “Oh Applejack, that would be wonderful!,” she exclaimed with a radiant smile. “But, are you sure you want to give them to me? There isn't somepony else who could use them more maybe?”

“Now don't go spoutn' talk like that. I couldn't think o' nopony who could use 'em more. They're yours sugar cube. I'm sure yer critter friends'll appreciate 'em too. Speakin' of, aren't you normally out 'n about by now makin' yer rounds?”

Fluttershy blinked. She had forgotten about the animals until now. It was relatively late in the day, and if what Applejack had said was true she did not have much time left to do her chores. The moment of happiness at Applejack's kind gesture was replaced with worry. “Oh my goodness, you're right. Did you say the pegasi are planning a rainstorm today?”

“Yeah,” Applejack reaffirmed. “I'm guessin' Rainbow didn't come by n' tell you then? Sure is lazy, that one.”

“Oh my. What am I going to do about my chores? Because of the rain I can skip some things, but I still have to feed everyone at least. The chickens, the forest creatures, the birds, and...” She trailed off. She realized that she had never tried to feed the pegasus; understandable in the effort to treat his wounds. He could not feed himself if he was unconscious, and he most definitely needed to eat.

“Calm down 'Shy. There's no need to worry. I'll do whatever I can to help. Here.” Applejack unhitched herself from the cart and set the wooden slats down on the ground. “Tell me what to do.”

“Oh no, I couldn't ask you to help with my responsibilities,” Fluttershy said weakly. Her mind was working furiously. She truly did need the help, but did she want to risk exposing her secret? It was almost irrational she thought, wishing to keep such a thing secret. Somehow though, it just didn't seem proper, what she had done. And she did not know how her friends would react. “I mean-”

Applejack cut her off, resolute in her speech. “Nonsense. You need help, and I'm willin', able-bodied, and present. I won't take no fer an answer.”

Fluttershy conceded. Despite her wishes, she could appreciate Applejack's determination to help. Besides, Applejack didn't have to go inside to help, so the pegasus would still go undiscovered. “Alright, if you insist. I need to do some work inside, so would it be alright if you took care of things outside?”

“You got it,” Applejack assured. “What all needs doin'?”

“Well, each group of animals has to be fed. I usually take the food to their individual homes, but I can't ask you to do that. I think leaving it where they can get to it should be fine. Have you ever fed animals before?”

“Are you kiddn' me? I run the biggest farm fer miles around, remember? I've spread a bit o' feed in my day,” Applejack said proudly.

“Oh, yes, of course. In that case, there are three types of food in big wooden boxes on the right side of the house. One has chicken feed, one has bird seed, and the last has a special mixture of nuts and berries for the forest animals.” Fluttershy's speech was getting faster at her enthusiasm for animal care.

“The chickens are easy; each hen house has a trough for water and a trough for feed. I filled all their water troughs yesterday, so they'll just need feed today. There are two places the birds like to live. One is the tree with all the bird houses next to the stream. The other is the tree with all the nests up the path there.” She continued, speaking faster still.

“I would say take one of the empty feed sacks near the boxes and fill it halfway. Take that to both trees and empty half the bag at the base of each. The birds can collect what they need from that. Do something similar for the forest animals. Fill a sack completely full, and go around to each tree at the forest line and empty a small pile at the base. You don't have worry about using too much. I can always make more, and I'd rather the creatures had an abundance than go wanting. Oh, and please make sure they know you put the food out. They probably won't come out until you leave, but they need to know at least it's available. But don't scare them by bucking the trees or anything please. Speaking out loud should do... And that's all,” Fluttershy ended sheepishly.

Applejack was somewhat taken aback. She had never really put much thought into how much time and care her friend devoted to the animals. Fluttershy was looking at her, timidly awaiting her response. Applejack assumed a confident tone. “That's all huh? Sounds good to me. Don't you worry 'Shy, I'll take care of all this out here. You go do what you need to do.”

Fluttershy's face lifted once more into a smile. “You're a wonderful friend Applejack. Thank you so much.”

“Any time sugar cube.” Applejack turned and set about the task she was given. Fluttershy watched her briefly as she went. She truly was grateful that Applejack was going to help her, but this only compounded the guilt she felt deep down about not telling the truth. She hesitated momentarily, as if wanting to call her back, to confess her guilt; then she stopped herself. For whatever reason she was afraid of what Applejack, and in turn her other friends, would say upon such a discovery. It was best, she thought, that for now her secret was kept.

Fluttershy eyed the cart of apples before closing the door to the outside. 'These would actually be perfect' she thought. She checked to make sure Applejack had turned the corner around the cottage before grabbing up a few in her hooves and retreating inside. She quietly flew into the kitchen and set the apples down on the table. She landed and went to the cupboard, nosing through different pieces of tableware until finding a plate she could use. 'This should work fine' Fluttershy decided. She took the plate and placed it on the table next to the apples, the red orbs shining brightly in the warm sunlight of the quaint room.

'Let's see. The best thing would probably be to crush the apples. Maybe just one for now, to see if I can get him to swallow. If he takes it then I can give him more. The juice should keep him hydrated too.' Fluttershy took one of the apples and set it in the middle of the plate. She took her hoof and placed it on the apple, gently applying force until the tension of the skin gave way. There was a soft crunch, and the gooey contents spilled out. Fluttershy mashed a few more times to make the paste more fine and expose more of the juice.

Once she was satisfied, she carried the plate into the living room and set it down next to the pegasus still occupying the floor. She looked over the body before her, going over the work she had done the previous night. Everything seemed in order, and nothing had been missed. There wouldn't be any progress in such a short time, but the healing process had begun as soon as possible, and that was the most important part.

Fluttershy looked down near her hooves to see the face of the pegasus. His head lay there on the floor much as she had left it; the mane tucked underneath for some cushioning, the nostrils flaring ever so slightly with each breath. She remembered those captivating eyes, and the wonderful and terrible world they seemed to hold within. They were safely hidden now, stalwartly sealed behind their heavy lids.

Her heart seemed to rise into her throat a little as she pondered those eyes. Her breathing quickened just so, and her tail flicked in preoccupation. Suddenly a faint voice from outside pierced the quiet, pensive atmosphere inside.

“Consarn it, you little feather brain. You get back here now! Don't make me lasso you.”

Fluttershy snapped from her thoughts. “Applejack must be having trouble with the chickens,” she whispered to herself. “Maybe I should go check on her?” She looked back to the pegasus, and decided against it. “No. No she'll be fine. I need to hurry and finish with this. Oh, how should I do this? Maybe...”

The pastel pony took the head of the pegasus and slowly turned it to one side. She knew of a way to get smaller creatures to eat when they were too tired or ill, and she didn't see why it couldn't work for a pony. She took the pegasus's jaw in one hoof, and with the other scooped up a small mound of crushed apple. She opened the pegasus's mouth as wide as she dared, pulling down on the jaw. Awkwardly, Fluttershy placed the scoop of apple into his tongue. With the food secured in the mouth, she closed it.

Taking her now spare hoof and placing it on the throat just under the jaw hinge, she began to rub while simultaneously moving the jaw up and down in a chewing motion. If she was correct, the sensation would instigate a muscle reaction in the pegasus's body, causing him to swallow. She watched carefully as she worked, looking for muscle contractions in the throat. It did not take long for the body to react, and the food to successfully travel down the gullet.

Fluttershy heaved a sigh of relief at her success, and privately congratulated herself on a job well done. She tried again and again, each scoop being swallowed until the pegasus had in effect eaten an entire apple. “That went much better than expected,” she said, almost pridefully. “He could probably stand to eat another one though.” She rose to all hooves, ready to make her way back to the kitchen when a knock came from the front door once again. Fluttershy's legs nearly buckled in shock, but she recovered quickly, this time knowing what to do.

She trotted to the door nervously and opened it. Applejack was waiting on the other side expectantly. “All finished,” she said with a poke to her hat. “I will say, one of your chickens had a bit more fight 'n what I expected. Plum got away from me. I wrangled her though. Not rough mind you, just got her back where she belonged.”

“Oh thank you so much, Applejack,” said Fluttershy, true gratitude glowing warmly inside her. “That was a big help.” At this Fluttershy thought she was almost home free. She just had to talk to Applejack a little longer, then she would go back to her farm and everything would be alright. “Did you find everything alright to feed the animals?”

“Oh yeah,” Applejack nodded. “Since you mention findin' things though, I found this out by yer back gate.” She bent down, picked up a large rounded metallic object in her mouth, and presented it to Fluttershy. Fluttershy took it, at first completely baffled as to what it could be. As she turned it in her hooves a sharp pulse of realization and horror streaked through her body. It was his helmet. “I had no clue what it was, but supposed it belonged to you. Does it?”

Fluttershy struggled to find words to respond to the question. She stumbled over what few syllables she could string together. “I...I don't...don't...”

“Alright, that's it,” said Applejack, sternly cutting Fluttershy off mid stutter. “Fluttershy, I could tell before that somethin' had you all bothered, but I respected you not wantn' to talk about it. But I can't stand by seein' you like this. I'm puttn' my hoof down on this one. Now what in the world has got you so flustered you can't even speak?”

Fluttershy shrank away from Applejack. She had been found out. She wasn't afraid of Applejack; she knew her friend was not mad, merely concerned and fearful of her well being. More than anything she was ashamed of herself, like a child who had disobeyed and attempted to hide the evidence.

“I'm so sorry Applejack,” Fluttershy uttered meekly. “I didn't mean...I didn't want...well, please, come in and see for yourself. I'll explain everything.” She stepped back from the door to allow Applejack to pass. Applejack stepped through the entryway. The room was dim compared to outside, but her eyes quickly adjusted. Fluttershy closed the door and stepped ahead of the earth pony. “There,” she whispered simply.

Applejack followed the direction of Fluttershy's gaze. She had not noticed it at first due to the adjustment of her eyes, but it was very clear now what Fluttershy had meant to show her. The entire figure came into view; a large pegasus with his wings spread out on either side. His body looked to be in very poor condition, and much of him was bandaged in some manner. “Fluttershy,” Applejack asked in apparent awe, “what...is this?”

Fluttershy burst into monologue, her speech alacritous in her need to explain herself and her predisposition to panic. “It's not what it looks like. I mean, I don't know what you think it looks like, but whatever that is, it's not it. He came here last night, from the forest. I went out to go see what it was, and he scared me really badly, and then he collapsed from his injuries. I figured out that he was a pegasus and not a monster, so I just had to take him in to treat him. I don't know what hurt him so badly, but he was in really bad shape. I set his wings so they could heal, and put aloe on his burns, and bandaged his legs, and just now I fed him one of your apples. I'm sure it was really good, but he's been unconscious since last night, so I don't know. And I'm really sorry I didn't tell you before, honest. I wanted to so badly, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I didn't know what you would think, and I didn't know what our friends would think when you told them, and I'm so, so sorry and...oh.” Fluttershy ended her outpouring with a squeak, then fell quiet.

Applejack was still looking over the body of the pegasus. Fluttershy tried to discern what she was thinking, but her face was unreadable. Finally, Applejack broke gaze and turned to look at Fluttershy. She spoke slowly and deliberately. “So you found him wounded outside, an' you took him in an' patched him up. That right?”

Fluttershy gave the weakest of nods. Applejack cast another glance at the pegasus, then turned back to Fluttershy. Her look of awe shifted to that of soft approval. She spoke soothingly, trying to calm her friend. “Now 'Shy, why would you get so worked up about somethin' like that? You helped somepony, that's all. What's to hide or be ashamed of?”

“I don't know,” Fluttershy replied shakily. “I just thought...I don't know what I thought.”

“Well, whatever it was, you best put it out that pretty little head o' yours. T'ain't nothin' to worry about now. If there's anythin' I feel right now it's pride; pride that I have such an amazin' friend who would go out of her way to help somepony, no matter the circumstance.”

All of Fluttershy's trepidation, the feelings of panic and guilt, and even her embarrassment were all eroded away instantly. “Oh Applejack, I don't know what to say. I'm just so glad. About- about everything.”

“Ain't nothin' to say, sugar cube. It's in the past now.” Applejack edged closer to the pegasus, bending down to get a better look at the wrappings. “You did all this by yerself then?”

“Oh yes. Well, no, actually. I had Angel bunny help me.” Fluttershy looked over at Angel's bed. He was still fast asleep. “He's such a good bunny.”

“I see. And you don't know who he is, do you?” Fluttershy shook her head. “Did he have anythin' with him, maybe to help identify him?”

Fluttershy shook her head again. “No, not that I found. He was covered in armor though. That's what this is.” She held up the helmet. It was made of the same metal as the other pieces of armor, it's glossy silver finish almost shimmering in the sunlit room. “This was the helmet he had on. There's the armor for his wings.” She pointed to floor at the far wall where the heavy plates still rested on either side of the fireplace. “And there,” she continued, pointing into the other room at a collection of metal, “is where I put the armor for his chest, back, and legs.

“Land sakes,” Applejack wondered aloud. “It doe'n't look like he had any business in these parts. Not with a getup like that. So we don't know his name, where he comes from, what he was doin' here, or what happened to him. That's a big heap o' nothin' to go on. I wonder if anyone in Ponyville-”

Applejack's query was interrupted by a knock at the front door, the third that day. Both ponies turned, wondering who it could be. A voice called out excitedly.

“Fluttershy? Hey, Fluttershy, are ya home? You've got visitoooooors!”

A second voice came directly after the first, assuming a slight tone of reprimand. “Oh, Pinkie Pie, please. You must exercise some restraint. The poor thing hasn't even had time to get to the door.”

“Sorry, Rarity. I was just so excited to see my friend is all. I love seeing friends!”

A third voice piped up after this, more calm and matter-of-fact than the other two. “Well I think that's a very good sentiment Pinkie. It would be nice if everyone was always so excited to see their friends.”

“Don't encourage her Twilight,” came Rarity's voice.

“Fluttershy. Where are you?” Pinkie Pie knocked again. Fluttershy looked nervously to Applejack. Applejack nodded, then winked in encouragement. Fluttershy went to the door, braced herself, and opened. Before her stood an earth pony and two unicorns, three more of her best friends. “There you are! Hey Fluttershy, what's up?!,” Pinkie Pie said with almost tiring enthusiasm.

Rarity cocked an eyebrow at Pinkie's greeting, then cleared her throat pointedly and smiled. “Good afternoon, Fluttershy dear. How have you been?”

Twilight was the last, simply smiling and saying, “Hey Fluttershy. How are you?”

“Oh, hi girls,” Fluttershy said in greeting to her friends. “I'm ok. How are you?”

“Fine,” Twilight and Rarity responded in unison.

“Great!,” Pinkie said with her large trademark smile.

Fluttershy smiled back. “Oh, that's good. Um, did you all need something?”

“I brought you some leftover cake from Sugarcube Corner!,” Pinkie volunteered first, wiggling her body to indicate the cake plate perched precariously on her back. “By leftover, I mean Mr. and Mrs. Cake left it out, so I figured they didn't need it anymore. And I haven't seen you since the day before last, so I just had to drop by and see you. And what kind of guest would I be if I didn't bring presents?”

Twilight held her hoof to her forehead in exasperation. “Somewhere, Pinkie, there's a panicking baker and his wife wondering what's going on.”

“Why would a baker panic? He gets to make tasty treats all day long,” Pinkie wondered aloud. “Unless he burns them or something. Ooh, did I turn the oven off before I left?”

Rarity cut across Pinkie's ranting. “Well, I came because I had some marvelous ideas for new pieces, and I wanted your opinion on some of them. They're nature themed you know, and who better to advise than you?”

“And I met these two on the way back from Zecora's for some tea, and came along,” Twilight finished. “By the way, is Applejack here? There's one of her carts here full of apples.”

“Howdy gals,” said Applejack, taking her cue to make herself known. She sidled over to the door next Fluttershy. “Everyone's doin' fine so I hear?” The three other ponies greeted Applejack in turn.

“Wow, Fluttershy. You sure are popular today,” Pinkie observed.

Fluttershy blushed mildly. “I guess I am, aren't I?,” she agreed, unsure of whether she wanted all this company or not.

Rarity cleared her throat again after a short lull. “Well dear, are you going to let us keep standing out here, or are you going to invite us in?” At this Fluttershy looked meaningfully to Applejack. Applejack took her signal, knowing Fluttershy couldn't explain herself a second time.

“Alright gals, come on in. There's somethin' ya'll have to see. Don't worry, I'll explain what's goin' on.” Fluttershy and Applejack stepped back, allowing the three now slightly confused ponies inside. Applejack waved them through into the living room. It took a few moments, then each gasped at the sight on the floor. Before they could let fly their veritable slew of questions Applejack held up her hooves to take control of the situation. “Now just hang on you three. I know this looks bad, but let me tell ya'll the story first.”

“Ooh, wait. Lemme put my cake down first. I love story time!,” Pinkie said. She dashed into the kitchen and placed the cake on the table. She then trotted back into the living room nonchalantly and sat at attention. “Ok, I'm ready.”

Applejack fought back the urge to reprimand Pinkie and proceeded to tell Fluttershy's story; how the pegasus came from the forest, Fluttershy taking him in and treating him, and how everything concerning him was an absolute mystery. On occasion she looked to Fluttershy for confirmation on the details. Upon finishing, Applejack took a deep breath and exhaled. “And that's where things stand right now. Got no information on him, but there he is.”

Of the three ponies continuing to look down at the pegasus, Twilight was the first to regain her speech. “That's a pretty incredible story Fluttershy. But you didn't find anything with him that could tell you something? Like a name plate, or maybe-”

Twilight was interrupted by yet another knock at the front door. Fluttershy did not hesitate in opening it this time. Her nerves were too well worn at this point to resist, and she was almost positive as to who it was, considering her four other friends were already inside with her.

A sky blue pegasus with a rainbow colored mane and tale stood at the door. Her face looked as though she had been rushed, as if she was late for something. Small huffs came sporadically in between her words. “Oh good, you're home. Listen Fluttershy, I came to tell you about the storm the pegasi were planning today. Well actually, they're going to start any minute now. I never heard anything about it though, honest. They said I slept through last week's meeting, but I know I totally would have remembered that. Anyway, I know how you like to know beforehand, and I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner.”

“Oh, that's ok Rainbow Dash,” Fluttershy said as her friend finished. “I-”

Pinkie Pie butted in, “Rainbow Dash! Hey, Rainbow Dash! Hi!”

“Oh, hey Pinkie Pie.” Rainbow Dash said passively. She then stopped, registering whom she had just greeted. “What- Pinkie Pie?” Rainbow Dash skirted around Fluttershy and into the cottage. “And Rarity and- hey, Fluttershy,” she said with a slight accusatory tone, “what gives? Were you having a get together without me?”

Fluttershy looked hurt at this accusation. “Oh no, I would never do something like that. Everyone just happened by, that's all. We were just talking about...well...”

“Come on over here Rainbow. Best just get this over with,” interjected Applejack. She motioned for Rainbow Dash to move further in. Rainbow Dash followed, a look of confusion on her face similar to those the others had worn previously.

“Whoa, what happened to him!?,” Rainbow Dash exclaimed upon looking over the room.

Applejack once more took charge of the conversation. “Now don't spit your bit or nothin'. As things go, he's doin' a lot better n' what he could be. Here's what happened.” She once again related Fluttershy's story of how the pegasus had appeared and what she had done to help him. Rarity, Twilight, and Pinkie Pie listened again intently, making sure they had understood everything from before. “And now here we all are, together, with everypony knowin' exactly what the others do. Thank goodness that's settled,” Applejack closed.

The group of pony friends sat quietly for a moment, each pondering over the pegasus. Twilight was again the first to break the silence. “Well Fluttershy, now that he's here, what are you going to do?”

Fluttershy returned a modest frown of puzzlement. “What do you mean Twilight? Do what?”

“Well, what I mean is that you've got a strange pegasus lying battered on your living room floor. You don't have the slightest idea who he is, and no way to find out. Can you continue to care for him like this, until he wakes up?”

“Oh, I'm sure. Dressing the wounds would have been the hardest part. Now he just needs proper care.”

“That's well enough. But what happens if or when he wakes up? What if he's confused and lashes out? He may even be hostile toward you, despite all you've done. If he can carry that armor with him, especially in a state like that, he could do some serious damage. What I'm saying is, wouldn't it be safer to move him somewhere where more ponies can look after him, preferably closer to town? Like the clinic with all the nurse ponies?”

“No,” Fluttershy answered quickly. “I mean, it would be bad to try and move him like he is. And besides, that won't be necessary. I can take care of him until he wakes up. And when he does, I know he won't do anything like that.”

Twilight and the others were slightly stunned at Fluttershy's resolute response. “But Fluttershy, how can you know that for certain? You can't know that for certain.”

Fluttershy looked down at the face of the pegasus. The image of those striking eyes, seemingly burned into the back of her mind, flashed vividly to its forefront. “I do know it. I don't know how. I just... know,” she said softly.

“But-”

A deep rumble of thunder sounded from outside. The weather pegasi had done a thorough job of preparing the sky for rain. The clouds were dark from their weight with rainwater. They seemed to form a dirty cotton blanket in the sky, staggered as they were, effectively blocking the sun from view.

“Sounds like the rain's gonna start any second now,” said Rainbow Dash as she watched the forming storm through Fluttershy's window.

“Oh noooo,” wailed Rarity. “I needed to get started on those dresses tonight. But I can't go home now, I'll get soaked!” She rounded on Rainbow Dash. “Hrrmph. Rainbow Dash, this is all your fault.”

“What? Hey, why's it my fault!?,” Rainbow Dash inquired indignantly.

“It's every pegasus's duty to tell their friends about the weather plans. You didn't tell us, now did you? Had I known, I would have been prepared.”

“It's like I told Fluttershy, I never got a warning for a storm today.”

“So you say. But I'd imagine that you did in fact sleep through your little meeting and missed the warning,” said Rarity scathingly.

“And what would you know about handling the weather anyway?,” returned Rainbow Dash as her face started to flush with anger.

“I would imagine it's rather easy, the way you go on about it you...you...braggart!”

“Girls!,” shouted Applejack. Rarity and Rainbow Dash turned in surprise. “Now you two stop that this instant; arguin' like a couple o' fillies. You two know better n' that. Rainbow, you probably did fall asleep, an' you should be pony enough to fess up.” Rainbow Dash looked for a moment as if to protest, then faltered and hung her head slightly. “An' Rarity, I'm sorry the rain got in your way, but that's just how things are. An' blamin' Rainbow ain't gonna change 'em.” Rarity's lip quivered slightly in anger, then she too conceded and looked away.

“I'm sorry, Rainbow Dash,” Rarity proffered in apology. “A lady should know better than to let her anger overwhelm her, and for that I apologize. Also, I do not think you a braggart.”

“I'm sorry too. I probably should have done my job better. A lot better,” Rainbow Dash said in turn.

Fluttershy flew in between her friends to gain everyone's attention. “Girls, I have an idea, if that's ok. Why don't we all stay here and have a nice quiet party, just us? I know you don't want to go out in the rain, and I'd be more than happy to have you stay until it blows over. Pinkie brought cake, and we can bake anything with the apples that Applejack brought. Um, how does that sound?”

Pinkie squealed with delight. “I love parties! I'll go. Or come. Or stay. Whatever, I'm in!”

“A marvelous idea,” Rarity approved. “And we can still talk about those dresses.”

Applejack patted Fluttershy on the shoulder. “That's right nice o' you 'Shy. Thank you kindly. Say, if you'll get me some baskets, we can get those apples inside for you.” Fluttershy went into the kitchen and rummaged in a closet for baskets large enough for the apples. She returned to the living room with four large wicker baskets and set them down near the door.

“Alright girls,” called Applejack, “if ya'll can help me right quick like, we can get all these apples in here an' start bakin'.” The group of friends worked together to unload the apples from the cart, wishing to finish before the rain began in earnest. Applejack, Rarity, Twilight, and Pinkie each took one of the baskets while Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash transferred apples from the cart, both using their wings to scoop them up. When they had all finished the apples were brought into the kitchen and set down against the wall, near an old but very clean wood burning stove.

Fluttershy stacked some wood in the belly of the stove and lit a fire. It crackled merrily behind the wrought iron grate, its smoke billowing up the throat of the stove and out the pipe leading outside. The fire lit, she went to grab an apron hanging from a hook on the wall, but Applejack beat her to it.

“Why don't you go have a seat at the table there sugar cube. I'm sure you've had a powerful tryin' time today.”

“Oh, I can't let you bake too Applejack. You're my guest. And you've done so much for me already.”

Applejack tossed the apron's strap around her neck. “Nonsense. What kind of friend would I be if I wouldn't do somethin' like this for you? Now go on. Pink and I can take care o' things. Say, Pink?,” Applejack addressed Pinkie Pie.

Pinkie looked up from the cake she had brought, already hoof deep in one side. She tried to answer, but her mouth was too full with frosting and cake layer.

“Why don't you come over here n' help me with some fritters? Show me how ya'll do things over at Sugarcube Corner.” Pinkie nodded vigorously at the request for help and hopped over next to the stove.

Fluttershy took a seat at the far end of the kitchen table, away from the stove near the entryway to the living room. She looked on as her friends were chatting away, enjoying themselves. Rarity was lecturing Rainbow Dash about her tomboyish ways again.

“...Coloring in your mane and tail are just wonderful, Rainbow Dash. There's so much potential there. Why oh why do you insist on letting it hang like it does?”

“Ugh, what's it matter how my mane and tail look? It's not like you can see it anyway when I fly by. Besides, who's got time for that when there's Wonderbolt practice to do?”

Twilight had taken an interest in the cooking of the apple fritters, and was standing near the stove with Applejack and Pinkie. She had a look of amusement as Applejack questioned Pinkie's cooking technique.

“No, Pink. You can't keep eatin' the apples after you dice 'em. How else are you gonna make any filling?”

“But you said you wanted to see how I do things at Sugarcube Corner. This is what I do.”

“What, eat the ingredients?,” said Applejack incredulously.

Fluttershy smiled to herself. Here were all her friends in her kitchen, carrying on like normal. They were talking, laughing, and best of all none of them thought any differently of her because of what she had done. Indeed, it did not seem to faze them at all. It sounded foolish now, to believe her friends would think less of her for having someone like that in her home. She should have had more faith. It did not matter now however. Everything was out in the open, and no harm was done.

Twilight came and sat beside Fluttershy, leaving Applejack alone to deal with Pinkie Pie. “So, Fluttershy, you mind if we talk for a second about the pegasus?”

“Oh yes, Fluttershy,” Rarity chimed in. “I meant to ask you before. Can I have him once you've finished fixing him up?”

Twilight gave Rarity the most wooden of looks. “He's not a pet Rarity,” she said flatly.

Rarity giggled with a flourish. “Oh, he's not right now. But he so could be. That magnificently stark mane, contrasting with his dark coat. Those rippling muscles. And don't think I didn't see that gorgeous face either. He's a little banged up at the moment, but just imagine the possibilities. He could be the veritable diamond in the rough that is Ponyville, given the proper guidance of course. I wouldn't mind having a beau like him to show off.”

Rainbow Dash fanned her wings excitedly. “Who cares what he looks like? Did you guys see those huge wings? I bet he's a great flier. I can't wait to race him after he gets better.”

“Is that all you ever think about, Rainbow Dash? Flying and racing?,” inquired Rarity.

“Is all you ever think about girly stuff and fashion?,” Rainbow Dash retorted.

“Ahem. Returning to the matter at hand,” said Twilight, reigning in her friends. “Now Fluttershy, you said you didn't find anything that might tell you at least a name? Not even like a small engraving on the armor, or anything?”

Fluttershy cast her gaze to the ceiling, thinking for a moment. “No,” she said finally. “The only thing he had was his armor. I was really thorough when I took it off, and I didn't see anything on it.”

“Ok. Did he say something to you before he passed out?”

“No. I think he was in a lot of pain before he fell. He's been like that since last night.”

“What were his wounds like? Maybe you could tell what got him from that?,” asked Rainbow Dash.

“I thought of that too. Both of his right legs had bad cuts. His right wing was broken, and the left was badly wrenched.” Rainbow Dash flinched at this description. There was little worse bodily harm in a pegasus' eyes than hurting your wings. “He also had four or five burns in various places. And of course smaller bruises and things all over, but those didn't need to be tended.”

“That's positively ghastly,” said Rarity with a shiver. “What could have done such terrible things?”

Twilight answered her. “Well,there's all kinds of things in the forest that could do that to an average pony, but he's not the average pony. It seems to me that whatever it was had to be especially ferocious. The burns obviously mean it could produce some sort of heat, and that says dragon to me. What do you think Fluttershy?”

“That was what I first thought. But I never saw or heard a dragon. And dragons aren't usually found in the Everfree Forest are they?”

“Not usually, but dragons like mountain caves, and the forest does have a few of those. My biggest concern is what he was doing in the forest, so close to Ponyville. Like I said, he's not the average pony. We don't know if his intentions were friendly or what.”

“Well, when he wakes up, we can ask him,” Fluttershy said brightly.

“But that's just it Fluttershy. When he wakes up, it might be too late to find out. And who's to say he won't just lie?”

“Oh, I dressed those wounds myself Twilight. It's sad to say it, but he won't be in any shape to do anything for a while. I know you're concerned for me, and I appreciate it, truly. But it's ok. I can handle myself.”

Twilight looked as though to protest when Applejack came to the table and placed a large tray of piping hot fritters next to Pinkie's half-destroyed cake. “Here's some fresh apple fritters, a Sweet Apple Acres specialty. Get 'em while they're hot girls. Don't burn yerselves though.” The ponies at the table each expressed gratitude at the tray of desserts.

“We should start making these at Sugarcube Corner,” said Pinkie through a mouthful of fritter. “I love these things.”

“Are you kiddin'? They'd never be able to bake 'em, you eat the fillin' s'darn fast. I'm surprised there's anythin' in there at all.”

“What? The filling's the best part.”

“Oh my, I almost forgot,” said Rarity after a dainty nibble of her own fritter. “Fluttershy dear, we do need to talk about those dresses. Would you mind?”

Fluttershy turned away from Twilight. “Not at all Rarity. I'll help however I can.”

Twilight got up from the table. Rarity and Fluttershy were now engaged in conversation over fashion. Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash were having a heated contest over who could put the most fritter in their mouth at once; Pinkie Pie looked clearly to be winning. Applejack was now wiping down the kitchen from cooking. “I'm going to go watch the rain for a while,” Twilight said to no one in particular, and walked into living room.

Once she was around the corner of the entryway, out of sight from the kitchen, she went to sit down beside the pegasus. If Fluttershy didn't know anything, she would have to simply find out for herself. Twilight' eyes roved over the entire body, taking in the detail, trying to glean any amount of information she could. She could see the bandaged parts, the burns, and the sling supporting the left wing. The body was as it had been described to her. Nothing more could be gained by analyzing the injuries. If there was anything to figure out, she decided, the answer must be with the armor.

Twilight went to examine the wing pieces first. She took care as she stepped, trying to avoid treading on the pegasus's wings. The left piece sat on the floor to the left of the fireplace. The thought vaguely struck Twilight as to how large it was, and how abnormally large the pegasus's wings were in comparison with Rainbow Dash's or Fluttershy's.

With little light from outside penetrating the room, Twilight produced a glow in her horn; just enough to see well for about a foot or so. A faint blue light bathed the metal as she looked closely, trying to find something, anything that could possibly further her understanding. As she went up and down the contour of the top of the plates she became increasingly amazed at the detail and craftsmanship they exhibited.

The metal was in itself like nothing she had ever encountered before. The silvery hue was lustrous, even in the pale light of her horn. There were no marks on the metal from the forging process, and so fluid were the fittings between sheets that the entire thing could have been cast in a single piece. The sheets were joined with linear slides at the back and inside the front curved profile of each, making Twilight postulate that they could be collapsed into themselves in some manner. The mechanics reminded her of her large telescope back at the library. On each plate, just under the place where one ended and the one above began, were vertical rows of runes. Her runic reading was not the best, but she could make out at least a single phrase from three juxtaposed runes; “protection”.

Twilight was kneeling down, trying to see up under the armor, when she heard the sound of hooves from behind her. She rounded quickly, not wanting Fluttershy to catch her in her suspicion. The glow of her horn obscured her vision slightly, but she could distinguish the outline of a hat; it was Applejack.

“I figured I'd come an' watch the rain with you,” Applejack said in a knowing tone. She came and rested on her haunches next to Twilight. The rain was slackening now; the patter from the roof was barely noticeable as the two ponies sat together and spoke in soft voices. “Well, what do you figure Twigh'?

Twilight sighed heavily. “I love Fluttershy like a sister, but sometimes she's just too sweet and innocent for her own good.”

“I had just about the same feelin'.” Applejack tilted her head at the pegasus. “What about him?”

“Honestly? I have no idea where to even begin. I just took a look at the armor there. It's like nothing I've ever seen. I remember the palace guard armor when I lived in the castle at Canterlot. The quality of this stuff makes theirs look like tin. I've done several studies on forms of magical protection and defense; nothing I've read even mentions something like this.”

“So you think it's got magic power then? How can you tell?”

“When you've worked with magic as long as I have, you can just start to tell about some things. That, and there are runic engravings on it that form some sort of protection. Listen Applejack; whatever Fluttershy may think, we just have way too many unanswered questions about this pegasus. If he decided he's our enemy, everyone in Ponyville could be at risk, let alone Fluttershy.”

“I agree completely. But what do we do? Fluttershy was mighty sure of herself.”

Twilight thought hard for a moment. “For now, at least until we can find a better alternative, or convince her to do otherwise, I say let Fluttershy take care of him. If he does wake up and tries something, I think his body would slow him down enough to where Fluttershy could get away. If it comes to that, we can deal with him then.”

“I really don't like this Twilight. Not one bit. Seems to me like we're leavin' her to the wolves.”

“I understand. But like you said, she was awful sure of herself. For whatever reason, it looks like she knows something we don't. For now, let's trust her intuition. And hope that nothing happens that we'll regret.”

“If you say so. But I still think we should keep a watch on things. What do you say we all take turns comin' up n' checkin' on her? Somepony comin' every day would put my mind at ease.”

“That's a good idea. I'll talk with everyone and get things worked out. I'm sure they'll all understand our position.”

Twilight got to her hooves, followed by Applejack. As they picked their way back to the kitchen they could hear the voices of their friends approaching.

“That was really fun Fluttershy,” came Pinkie's voice. “We should have quiet parties more often. Loud parties with dancing and music and balloons and tons of ponies are super fun, but times to spend with your closest friends are just as fun.”

“I agree darling. The rain threw me at first, but this has turned out to be a marvelous evening. And thank you ever so much for the input. I'll get started on my designs as soon as I get home.”

“Maybe I should sleep through weather meetings more often Fluttershy. This really has been fun. We should do it again sometime.”

Fluttershy beamed at her friends. “I'm so glad you all had fun. Maybe we will do this again soon.”

The group moved toward the front door, Twilight and Applejack falling in step. Fluttershy's five friends stepped out into the now muggy but rain-free evening air. They said their final goodbyes as they walked into the night toward their homes in Ponyville. Fluttershy closed the door behind her. She backed against it and breathed in deeply, savoring the calm air of her home, the scent of apple fritters still somewhat lingering. Her body was heavy with fatigue from the day's excitement, but her spirit was as light as it had ever been.

“I'm so lucky to have my friends,” Fluttershy whispered to herself. Indeed, of all the reactions they could have had, of all the things they could have said, they never once had judged her for taking in the pegasus. They were concerned of course, but that just meant that they cared for her. Fluttershy yawned, and her knees weakened from fatigue. It was most definitely time for bed.

The tired pastel pony moved away from the door on her way upstairs, when her hoof hit something on the floor, making a soft metallic scrape. She stopped and looked down to see the pegasus's helmet. She picked it up in her hooves and made for the kitchen to leave it on the table. As she carried it, she chanced a glance at the inside, thinking it was as good a place as any to write something. Fluttershy looked closely, and noticed an irregularity in the metal on the inside of the helmet, just above the jutting nose piece. She held the helmet up eagerly to the waning light in the kitchen, trying intently to make out what it was.

As she squinted to see, Fluttershy recognized very small words lettered in an angular, stamped manner.

FERAGRIMM

MAY YOUR WINGS CARRY YOU TO PURPOSE
AS THEY BEAR THE WEIGHT OF YOUR HEART

Fluttershy read the words once, then again, then several times more. “I don't know what the second part means, but that first word. That looks like...a name.” She pondered the word and spoke slowly, using her phonetics to sound it out. “Fair-ah-grim,” she concluded.

Fluttershy placed the helmet on the table and blew out the remaining light in the kitchen. She trekked to the base of the stairs, then stopped to take one final look at the pegasus. “Feragrimm,” she whispered, the name faintly striking a chord deep within her heart. “His name is Feragrimm.”