• Published 1st Oct 2011
  • 3,585 Views, 68 Comments

Heart of Gold, Heart of Stone - Col. Calamity



A dark, stern figure rocks Fluttershy's introverted world. Both have life lessons for the other.

  • ...
4
 68
 3,585

Chapter 1 - Broken Wings

Fluttershy hummed to herself sweetly as she worked the garden aside her cottage. A serene smile played across her mouth as she paused and assessed the surrounding scene. It was a wonderfully bright and sunny day, and all her small animal friends were out enjoying the sunshine. Numerous birds were out chirping and singing to each other, all the while preparing their nests for the spring. Young squirrels and mice were playing in the grass whilst their parents were busy hollowing out homes for the family in the ground or in trees.

Fluttershy's ever present companion Angel was sitting at the edge of the garden, not so much expediting her efforts as enjoying their fruits. Fluttershy turned to watch him, to make sure he was still within sight and out of mischief. A few unwanted carrot stems lay tossed to the side nearby, and Angel had just begun a fresh carrot when Fluttershy chided him with a smile.

“Now, Angel, you know you shouldn't be eating so many carrots. You need a balanced diet to grow up big and strong. Besides, you'll spoil your supper.”

Angel gave Fluttershy a rebellious look, then took a slow, deliberate bite, after which making sure to chew as loudly as he possibly could. Fluttershy creased her eyebrows and frowned, not in reprimand but rather in sadness.

“Angel, that wasn't very nice.” Angel's expression softened. He put the carrot down and went to pick up the discarded stalks, presumably to throw them away. Her smile rejuvenated, Fluttershy called after him, “Thank you Angel bunny.” Angel did not stop or turn around, but Fluttershy knew instinctively that he in turn smiled, if only a bit.

The pastel yellow pony let out a sigh of contentment and rested on her haunches. She lifted her head toward the sun and closed her eyes, letting the light filter through her eyelids to cast a pleasant rosy red over her sight. The sounds from the animals flooded her thoughts, and the hazy, quasi-formed notion sank in that all was right with the world. As she sat and reflected, Fluttershy became aware of distant rumblings coming from somewhere. She opened her eyes and looked in the direction from which they came, wincing slightly at the adjustment of her pupils.

The rumblings were coming from the direction of the Everfree forest, a mysterious and dangerous place. Deadly monsters were known to roam freely throughout the forest, such as manticores and hydras. Any young pony was taught from a very early age to never go near the forest, for whatever reason. Fluttershy's cottage was situated at the edge of the forest itself, but she never had to worry about encounters with its more dangerous inhabitants. Those denizens made their homes in the deepest parts of the forest, far from its borders.

Fluttershy scanned the horizon as the tops of trees continued to retreat back into the forest and up a large mountain. She squinted as hard as she could, peering through the light mist that hovered in the atmosphere midway up the distant peak. There appeared to be a disturbance in the mist, as if from a sudden puff of air. There was a few seconds of silence, then another dull rumble. Fluttershy thought for a moment.

'Whatever it is, it's probably really mean and really strong. But, if it took that long for the sound to get here, it must be really far away. Nothing's ever come as far as Ponyville anyway, unless it was provoked... I suppose it'll be ok.'

Fluttershy cautiously decided to move on and continue with her daily routine, but she kept the noise in the back of her mind just to be safe. Once the garden was tended she put out feed for the chickens, checked on the progress of all the bird nests, checked the dens of the land creatures, and made her rounds finishing up with any animal patients she kept in her cottage. Such was a normal day for her, making sure every creature was cared for, and helping those who needed it the most. It was tiring work, taking up most of her time, but she usually found a couple of hours each evening to herself when she could stretch out and relax.

The sun was setting now. It cast a warm orange and pink tinge on the few clouds in the sky, both a requiem of its time hanging in that wide blue expansion covering the earth, and a heralding of the glossy pearl of the night that was Luna's moon. As the night crept in, it was as if a sheet was pulled over the earth, bringing with it innumerable miniscule jewels, each with luster beyond compare, shining in the sky.

The moon glinted with a pale milky light that shone through the windows of Fluttershy's cottage. Fluttershy had taken a comfortable position on the sofa underneath the front window of her living room. She was curled up against the left arm, her slight frame fitting snugly in the crook of arm and back. Her pink tale was curled about her, the tip folded between her head and the couch upholstery. The light of the moon and stars shone down on her coat and pink mane, and were in turn somewhat reflected, creating an ethereal, almost other-worldly radiance about the pony.

As she lay on the sofa her mind wandered back to those rumblings deep in the forest. She was curious as to what kind of creature could have made such noises, and if it could be a potential threat at some point. Her first thought was a monstrous dragon, her mind's eye flashing to a scene of a great winged beast circling the sky, with Ponyville a heap of smoldering ash beneath. Fluttershy shook her head. It couldn't be a dragon. Their snoring alone can produce massive plumes of smoke, and whatever it was sounded like it was putting up a fight. There wasn't any smoke, and definitely no fire. But if not a dragon, then what?

Fluttershy lay there searching the depths of her knowledge, trying to match a creature of which she knew with what she had seen and heard, when Angel hopped in. He was moving faster than Fluttershy had ever seen him move before, and gesturing frantically as he went. Fluttershy sat up in alarm, her tail flicking in panic.

“Angel? What's the matter? What's happened?!”

Angel was hopping in place, pointing madly at the back door and chattering incoherently. Fluttershy suddenly became uncharacteristically stern. She hopped down from the sofa and placed her hoof on Angel's head to ground him and get his attention.

“Angel, listen to me. You have to calm down and tell me what's wrong. Now what's happened?”

Angel could only point toward the back door of the cottage and alternate between his panicked expression and what looked like a forced attempt at a scary face. Fluttershy believed she understood. Her heart flew up into her mouth. It seemed her fears had been realized. Whatever had been going on in the forest had come this way, and it was right outside.

Fluttershy was terrified, there was no denying it. Her legs trembled violently, her wing muscles involuntarily contracted to her side, unyielding. Beads of sweat began to form across her body, her temperature rising in panic. She quickly looked around her living room at the smaller inhabitants. Some had come out of their small homes. Some were peering out from holes or miniature entrances to their dens. Some had looks of fear, some of apprehension, and all were looking to Fluttershy to know what they should do.

At the realization that her small charges were looking to her for guidance, Fluttershy steeled herself. A previously unknown reserve of strength welled up inside her, her legs steadying and panic receding. It was her responsibility to protect these animals, and nothing was going to harm them, no matter how ferocious the monster or the personal cost to herself. She lifted her hoof from Angel’s head and began to give him instructions in a quiet but purposeful voice.

“Alright Angel, I think I understand. We don't have time for a plan, so I want you to stay here and listen after me. I'll go outside, and if you hear me yell for you to run I want you to take all our friends here and make sure they get out of the house and to safety. Don’t worry about me, I’m not important. If it comes to it, I’ll make a distraction so you have time to get away.”

Angel shook his head violently, pointing to Fluttershy and then gesturing toward the front door. Fluttershy cut him off. It was incredible how soft yet stern she could be. “Angel, don’t argue. I already told you we don’t have time. Now stay here and listen. If I say so, you take everyone and move as fast as you can, and don’t you dare look back. Understand?”

Angel stood still, looking up into the lustrous blue eyes of his caretaker, his friend. Fear wracked his brain at what he had seen, but he knew Fluttershy was right, that he must obey. “Do you understand?” Fluttershy repeated more sternly and hastily. At the second inquiry Angel gave a solemn nod, resigning himself to follow his instructions, even to the end if need be.

“Good.” With that Fluttershy lifted her head high, posturing herself with a determined stance. She swallowed the unintelligible fear roiling inside her, reminding herself that she was the steward of these animals. She trotted brusquely to the back door, nudged it open, and quickly stepped out so as to not be paralyzed by her mounting fear. Once she was out in the night air she inhaled sharply and held it, another involuntary action.

Her eyes darted around; left, right, then up circling the skyline. Her heart was pounding in her chest, so much so that it hurt. Fluttershy didn’t see anything immediately, which gave her some small amount of comfort. She vaguely reasoned that she would have seen if right off had it been a dragon. She relaxed a little and exhaled unsteadily. Her delicate breath hung in the cool night air. ‘Perhaps the monster was out beyond the gate’ she thought.

Fluttershy moved slowly toward the back fence gate, beyond which lay the Everfree forest. She had to fight her own body with each step, her trepidation constantly threatening to immobilize her. As she moved, her mind raced as to what monster it was; perhaps a chimera, or a sphinx, or even an Ursa Minor. In the end it didn’t matter, if she could save her animal friends. Step. Breath. Step. Breath. Such was the cadence of her gait as she neared the dark forest, the harbinger of something Fluttershy knew had to be dangerous and horrifying.

It seemed to take ages, but she finally came to the opening in the fence facing the forest. Fluttershy was truly shaking now, her determination slowly succumbing to the pure terror of anticipation. She almost wished the threat would show itself, if only to know what she was against. The trembling pony stopped just short of crossing the fence line. There was some comfort in staying within the boundaries of her home, though she knew a fence would not do much, if anything, against a wild beast. Fluttershy peered intently into the darkness that cloaked the land, her gaze unsteady from the tremors in her body. At first nothing registered in her vision; there was no movement, no noise, nothing. Her eyes roved the tree line, expecting to stumble upon some vicious creature ready to pounce.

Then she saw it. Fluttershy did not immediately register the shape, but there was something moving just inside the treeline, a figure shrouded in the embrace of the shadows. There was just enough moonlight cutting through the foliage to make out a head. It was large and rounded, and the moonlight glinted off what seemed to be scales.

Fluttershy locked up completely. Even if she wanted to scream for Angel and the others to run she could not. She could only watch in utter terror as the figure stared silently from the trees. Moments passed, and the dark figure did not make a move. The hair on her mane stood on end, alternating hot and cold pulses of panic shot up and down her spine, and her jaw was so taught her teeth were beginning to hurt. Fluttershy's thoughts were disconcerted, hazy, and impulsive. 'What is it? What's it after? What's it going to do? How do I warn the others? Does it see me?' Indeed, the creature had made no indication it had seen Fluttershy, or at least made no attempt at attack. The pony wondered if it had noticed her at all, if it was not too late to retreat and escape. Any moment now, her palpitating heart was going to give her away, she just knew.

At this thought, the creature tossed its head, and the outline seemed to fix upon Fluttershy, seeing her at last. Her eyes somehow found those of the creature in the shadows and they locked with each other. Shockingly pale gray irises surrounded large black pupils; this was all Fluttershy could make out. The creature began to move, stepping slowly out of the cover of darkness and into the faint light from the sky. Its steps were off kilter, its legs looked as though they had trouble supporting the creature's body weight. The noise of its labored breathing pierced the otherwise silent night, and its balance was dangerously uneven, but all the while it never broke gaze with the fearful pony before it.

Whatever it was, it was wounded badly. As it stepped ever closer it sounded a chilling cry; not a cry of anger or wrath, but of intense pain. A spark of curiosity and even sadness lit in the back of Fluttershy's mind, but was still overwhelmed by fear. As she stood rooted to the ground the creature continued to approach, until it stood a mere few feet away. The creature stopped, eyes still fixed to Fluttershy's, those gray rings almost threatening to envelop the frozen pony. It exhaled a drawn and harsh breath. The cool air produced a look of smoke billowing out. Suddenly it reared with tremendous ferocity. It did not lunge, but rather took a step back, its two forelegs scraping at the air. Large, almost ill-proportioned wings jutted from either side of its body, flapping with apparently faded strength. It gave one final cry of pain, tossing its head and billowing more of its foggy breath into the air.

At that, all life seemed to drain instantaneously from it. The creature's head went limp, its wings fluttered clumsily to its side and drug upon the ground. It swayed for a moment, as if supported by a strong wind, then collapsed completely. It fell forward toward Fluttershy, turning slightly and falling on its side. Its body hit the ground with several metallic clangs. The wings twitched momentarily, but soon went still. Fluttershy could no longer withstand the stress. Her trembling legs gave out immediately, and she slumped to the ground next to the unconscious creature, head next to head. She could not move or speak, but she remained conscious and coherent. She kept her eyes closed, still fearful of the creature.

Hours seemed to pass. Calm began to creep into the recesses of Fluttershy’s mind, slowly replacing the paralyzing fear. As she regained some of her strength, she began listening to the breath of the body beside her. It was calm, but much more shallow than was warranted by something of that size. The steadiness of breath was soothing. The resultant breeze cooled her face, and her mane was brushed back and forth across her left shoulder, oddly massaging away some of her fear.

Finally, after time immeasurable, Fluttershy plucked up the courage to open her eyes. She winced as the veil of her eyelids was removed, exposing her potentially to a frightful vision. Through the dark of the night she could make out a large form splayed out on the ground. The creature had fallen on its right side, its four legs at odd angles and wings flopping perpendicular to its body. Fluttershy noticed the wings in particular. They were very large, each beginning at a main joint just behind the respective shoulder. Parts of each had large expanses that were reflective, taking the perfect moonlight from above and casting it right back at the sky. As best she could judge, the wings were long enough to stretch to the the tip of the creature's outstretched tail.

'Tail...' Fluttershy thought. She looked again. 'Four legs, two wings joined at the back, a tail...' Fluttershy was hesitant to move her head up until this point, for fear of some creaking in her neck that may stir the figure before her, but her curiosity was piqued now. She turned her face ever so slowly to her left. In doing so she could see the topmost part of the animal. A thick muscular neck branched from its body, with copious amounts of long flowing hair protruding from the back, like a mane. As she continued to turn her view her eyes set upon the odd rounded head she had seen before, as it glinted slightly in the moonlight.

Upon closer inspection Fluttershy could see it was only round as seen from the front. The side view showed an oblong shape with a flat end facing down the neck, not unlike a half-loaf of bread. She looked even closer and saw a distinct disconnect between shiny and opaque surfaces. As the creature inhaled and exhaled, the shiny surface rocked back and forth. Fluttershy observed this and pondered for a moment. Then an idea struck her. Her forelegs were severely weakened from the distress of her encounter, but she managed to lift herself up just enough to reach out and nudge the edge of the shiny surface as much as she dared. It moved. Fluttershy paused, making doubly sure the creature was still incapacitated. When she decided it was safe she nudged again, harder this time.

The shiny surface curled away from the head of the creature, scraping lightly on the ground. It made a half roll and came to a stop a short distance away. It was a helmet. At this realization Fluttershy became sure of herself again. She staggered to a shaky upright position. As she stood, she analyzed the sight laying upon the ground before her. “This isn't a monster. It's a pegasus. A pegasus in some kind of armor,” she whispered, as if to solidify her epiphany. Indeed, what she had originally taken to be scales of some kind was actually the reflective surface of metal. The pegasus was clad in armor from head to hoof. Even the wings were armored.

Her first reaction was that of unbelievable relief, then almost immediately shifted to that of worry and a sense of duty. Almost as if sensing Fluttershy's feelings, Angel came sprinting out from the back door of the cottage. Fluttershy heard him approach and turned to see who was coming. “Oh Angel, I'm so relieved. There's nothing to worry about. It's not a monster, just a very wounded pegasus. Everything is going to be fine, but I need your help. Did you tell everyone to get away?” Angel shook his head. “Good. Please, go get some of the strongest deer from the meadow and bring them back here. Four should do nicely. Tell them I'm sorry for disturbing them, and I don't want to impose, but if they would be so kind it's of the utmost importance. If they want to come.” Angel nodded, knowing now was not the time to trifle over things such as consideration. He hurried off into the darkness toward the meadow.

Fluttershy quickly trotted back to her cottage. She entered the living room, taking care to light a fire in the fireplace with a nearby candle from the mantle. She was momentarily grateful she had managed to keep a small stock of wood leftover from winter. Once a fire was going, she took her candle and placed it in an empty lantern hanging on a hook at the back door. She was going to need to see more clearly if she was going to be of use.

As she made her way back to the collapsed pegasus, Fluttershy saw that Angel had arrived with the deer. “Oh wonderful. Thank you all so much for helping,” she said with a soft voice. “I mean, I would do it myself if I could. I don't like asking others for things, and I never like to be a bother-” Angel jumped up onto Fluttershy's back, then onto her head. He tugged at her ear gently. He knew that sometimes Fluttershy just needed someone to keep her on track. She stopped, and nodded curtly.

“Right, s-sorry about that. Well, what I need you deer to do, if you would, is to lift up and carry this poor pony into my cottage.” Angel grabbed both Fluttershy's ears and bent over to lower his head in front of her face. He gave a severe look of foreboding, then arched his brow as if to inquire what exactly she was thinking. Fluttershy tossed her head so that Angel was seated again on top.. “I knew you wouldn't like it Angel, and I'm very sorry, but this pony needs our help badly. You can argue if you want, but right now this pegasus is a patient, same as any other animal. I'm sorry.” Angel blinked, not really sure of what do. Rarely was Fluttershy as resolute as she had been this evening.

“Now, if you please,” Fluttershy instructed the deer, “I think one of you per wing, and the other two supporting his neck and haunches should do fine. I'll hold the light so you can see. Please, remember to be gentle. I don't know how bad his wounds are. The two taking the wings get on either side of him first...” With the the strength of the deer and Fluttershy's direction the team was able roll the large pegasus off his side and into a supported position in the air. It was decided the pegasus would not fit through the back door, so the team carried their load to the front.

The front door was indeed larger, but not by much. It took some time for the solution as to how to fit the pegasus through the door. Finally, against Fluttershy's better judgment, the wings were taken and folded into the body, allowing two deer to gingerly carry the crumpled pegasus into the small cottage. Fluttershy began pushing furniture out of the way in order to make a clearing in the center of the room. “Ok, if you deer would be so kind, please lay the patient down right here,” she said, gesturing at the very center of the room. “Facing toward the fire please, but not too close. Stretch the wings out on either side, as much and as evenly as you can. I need to be able to see in order to work.” The deer acquiesced, though by now they were visibly straining under the weight of the pegasus; most likely a result of the armor.

Fluttershy could see this and stopped the deer after they had set down the crumpled body squarely on its stomach. “Please, you can stop now. Thank you ever so much. I'm so grateful for your help, but I believe I can manage from here. Th-Thank you again,” she said in a tired but sweet tone. Each of the deer bowed in turn and left the cottage, fading into the night heading back to their meadow. With that Fluttershy set to work arranging the limbs for treatment. She worked the right wing, then the left, dragging them by the tips as she held them in her mouth as delicately as she could. Merely dragging the wings was a task in and of itself. She took the legs one by one, taking care to spread them out evenly, but not in a manner that would cause discomfort.

Once Fluttershy had finished, she sat next to the pony and looked over the body. The light from the fire cast a warm glow across the floor, but the room remained rather dimly lit. The elongated silhouette of the sprawled body was cast down the floor and up halfway the opposite wall. It suddenly occurred to Fluttershy that she never had taken the time to examine the face of the pegasus. She was sure it wasn't somepony she knew, but perhaps she could identify some kinship by facial similarity. She sat down near the fire and, with great care, took the head in her hooves and turned it to one side, to better see the face. 'Oh my' she thought.

The pegasus was most certainly male. A strong brow arched over a pair of large deep-set eyes. A strong masculine jawline, reinforced with bristling neck muscles, underscored a shapely muzzle. His coat was a dark gray, like iron. A long mane of stark white fell gracefully to one side, its length falling past the neck and onto the floor. Fluttershy pondered the sight for a brief time. She definitely did not know him.

'I would most certainly remember somepony like this. I've never seen him before, in Ponyville or even in Cloudsdale. Maybe he's from one of the other pegasus cities, like Nimbus or Straton?' Fluttershy passively continued to analyze the face as her mind drifted. 'Those eyes... Back there, they were so scary, but now...' She recalled staring into those large eyes, the gray irises around what she was sure were simply dilated pupils. They were hidden now behind the pony's eyelids, a shadow cast across them by his brow blocking the firelight.

Without warning, an impulsive thought shot through her concentration. 'He is quite handsome, isn't he?'

Fluttershy immediately reproached herself. 'Oh, Fluttershy, what are you thinking?' she scolded, shaking her head.

Suddenly the pegasus began to shift his body unsteadily. Fluttershy, still holding his head in her hooves, froze with indecision as to what to do. The wings on either side of her jerked somewhat, stirring the fire behind her. The armor girding them scraped the floor of her cottage heavily. It was a wonder there was strength left in those wings to move at all. A few guttural sounds emanated from the pegasus' throat, his neck tensed to support his head, and the lids receded partially from his eyes.

For the second time Fluttershy locked eyes with this mysterious figure. The eyes were like small inset stone basins of the purest marble, filled with an unimaginably viscous black liquid that both absorbed and reflected light all at once. They were like portals into some strange world, both wonderful and terrible to behold. Now they were unreadable, a product of confusion and fatigue, but there was an undeniable strength behind them. For a span of no more than a few seconds each looked upon the other, an almost intimate connection between two minds. Fluttershy could feel her heart skip. A rush of adrenaline could be felt creeping up her spine. Then the pegasus fell sway to his condition once more, and slipped back into unconsciousness. His eyes shut and his head slumped in Fluttershy's embrace.

Fluttershy was still frozen, even as she continued to hold his head. She breathed in and out as softly as she could, not willing to chance another happening like that. Cautiously she watched and waited, wanting to make sure the pegasus was again unconscious before laying his head down. She tenderly set him down at a comfortable angle, with his mane folded underneath to provide some cushioning.

Sighing lightly as she felt the adrenaline dissipating in her body, Fluttershy got to her hooves and began her examination in earnest. She whispered quietly to herself as she thought, the extra idea reinforcement helping her think.

“Let's see, what to do first? I know he's injured; badly injured. But how to tell where?” She circled his body slowly, pensively, taking care not to step on any of his limbs. She had made her way from his front, around his right side, and then to his tail end which lay near the rounded archway leading to the rest of the cottage. Fluttershy saw out of the corner of her eye a shadow being cast across the floor by the light of the hallway. She looked down to see Angel standing watchfully.

Fluttershy smiled at him. “Angel bunny, would you please help me with something? Could you please light the rest of the candles in the room? I need to be able to see better.”

Angel did not move immediately. His eyes shifted knowingly from Fluttershy to the pegasus, then back to Fluttershy, and he frowned a bit. He pointed to the pegasus, then raised his forearms up over his head and contorted his face into a scowl.

Fluttershy stifled a small laugh. She knelt down, her face in front of Angel's. She mustered the softest, most honeyed voice she could. “Angel, I know he scared you when you first saw him. He scared me too. But you have to trust me when I say that he's not going to hurt anyone now. He couldn't move even if he wanted to. So please, will you help me?”

Angel thought for a bit, then squeaked in exasperation. He placed a paw on Fluttershy's nose and nodded. “Oh, thank you Angel. You're such a good helper.” She nudged his body affectionately. Angel shrugged it away with a small grunt. He proceeded to the woodpile next to the mantlepiece, where he snapped a twig from a resting log. He held it in the fire until it caught, then began to move around the room, lighting candles as he went.

As the level of light began to increase, a full picture of the mystery pegasus's body emerged. Fluttershy became increasingly horrified as visual details concerning his condition were more and more apparent. He was very dirty, as if he had been dragged through a freshly plowed field. His back- and front-right legs were caked with dried blood, open gashes in his flesh clearly visible. The gaps of flesh that could be seen under the armor looked burned, though the armor itself gave no indication of suffering such damage. His mane, now exposed by the candle light, was filthy and tangled with twigs and leaves. A myriad of smaller cuts and bruises could be seen all over.

The wings were in similar shape. Both were bloodied and haggard-looking, the parts outside the cover of armor. A few large feathers had fallen on the floor since the wings were lain down; the feathers that remained and could be seen on either wing were crusted with dried blood, and some even looked singed. Fluttershy noticed that the left slumped away from the body at the main join, suggesting wrenching. The ribs beneath were likely cracked, or worse. The right seemed sturdier near the base, but there was clear discontinuity in the bone past the end of the covering armor piece; this one was broken.

Fluttershy marveled at the injuries this pony had sustained. It was a miracle he was still alive, let alone able to move. Tears welled up in her eyes at the thought of another living creature suffering such cruelty. “What in Equestria could have done something so awful?,” she asked herself. “I can't imagine the pain he must have endured. What happened to him?” This personal question sparked remembrance of the rumblings coming from the Everfree forest. “Could that be it? Did he fight something in the forest?”

She looked again at the gashes in the legs, the patches of burnt flesh and wing, the physical trauma. “It must have been something from the forest. But what was it? What was he doing there? How did he manage to make it all the way here on his own?” These questions and others buzzed in Fluttershy's mind. She came to no immediate answer, instead asserting that it was much more important that the pegasus be cared for than her curiosity be satiated. She blinked away her forming tears.


“I need to get this armor off of him. I can't work around it. There may even be other injuries beneath it. But how do I get it off?” Fluttershy looked the pieces of metal up and down trying to find a way to remove them.

A large breastplate was across his front, comprised of what looked like staggered sheets of silvery metal. Interlocking sheets of the same glittering metal curved up and around the shoulders, then ran down the back to the flank. The sheets reminded Fluttershy of the shell of an armadillo; they were cascaded in such a way, she guessed, to provide flexibility. Each sheet of the back set expanded out to cover the sides of the body. On every foreleg there was a similar assembly; a thick metal semicircle with plates expanding out on either side to provide cover from knee to ankle, forming a bracer.

Each wing was armored with what looked like two connected cascade assemblies interlocking above the wing bend with a ball-and-socket, the front profiles curved and form-fitted around the contour of the bone. The inner cascades stretched from the ball-and-socket to about midway to the shoulders. The outer cascades spanned the ball-and-socket midway to the wingtips. The armor covered only the tops of the wings, and as to how it stayed attached could not be seen.

Fluttershy let out a sigh of defeat. “I don't have any idea where to start. Oh, what am I going to do? I can't leave him in this state.” She looked around aimlessly, as if awaiting an answer that had yet to come. After a moment she heard a soft metallic knocking coming from in front of the body. She looked to she Angel knocking on the breast plate, trying to get her attention. “Oh, Angel,” she whispered, “Please, no. You may wake him.”

Angel stopped knocking, but waved for her to approach. Fluttershy stepped carefully around to see what Angel was indicating. The breastplate was situated awkwardly under the neck, its rounded shape unwilling to lay flat. It was attached to the armor on the back with two large button clasps, one on each side of the neck. It was a good start. Angel and Fluttershy each tripped a clasp, she on the left, he on the right. The clasps sounded small metallic clicks, and the heavy plate was free.

Fluttershy carefully supported the pegasus's neck as she pawed at the plate, attempting to drag it out. Once the plate was safely away, she slowly laid the pegasus back down. She tried to pick the plate up and move it out of the way, but it did not budge. She tried again, forcing all the strength she had, but it was simply far too heavy. She puffed lightly at the strain, then decided to take it in her mouth and drag it out. It was slow work, but she finally managed to move it into the other room. The bracers were next, and the easiest. These were secured about the forelegs with simple straps at the center semicircle.

“Alright,” she breathed, “One piece down. Now let's try the rest.” Fluttershy took the back plate assembly and pulled up on the left side so that the right edge pivoted on the floor. It took all her might, but she was able to lift it up and over, until it tipped and rolled off. It kept rolling, coming to a stop as both flat edges connected with the floor. This produced a loud scraping and an echoing clank that made Fluttershy jump. She shot an apprehensive look at the pegasus, but it was clear he was too far gone to be woken by such noise. She relaxed and set to freeing the wings.

The wings were the most difficult to undo. Angel had to wriggle up under the wing itself to understand how the armor was attached. The armor assemblies stayed secure to the wings by half-circle clamps seated on the bone, squeezing it. Two strips of thick canvas, joined by a buckle in the middle and slung under the wing, formed a belt at the plate nearest the ball-and-socket for each assembly, holding fast the metal to sinew. The rabbit assumed a prone position and crawled up under the front of the right wing. He examined a clamp, looking for a way to release it.

He found it, a small spring-loaded rod keeping the hinge of the clamp firmly in place. He pulled it out, and the clamp gave way. Each belt was simple enough; the buckles were undone and the canvas strips fell slack on the floor. The other armor sheets were identical, and Angel went methodically from one to the next, removing all engagement to the wings. Once he was done, the rabbit crawled out from under the mass of feathers and muscle. He stood on his hind legs and took a bow, signifying he was finished.

“Oh wonderful work Angel. You're so smart. What would I do without you?,” Fluttershy praised the rabbit lavishly. Angel shrugged at the praise, a very smug expression on his face. “Now, let's get this off of him so I can treat him properly. Angel, I'll try and lift while you drag his wings back. You don't have to go far, just far enough so I can set the front edge down on the floor. Once his wings are free and under the plates, I'll push the plates away toward the wall. ”

She took the left armor piece in her mouth at the ball-and-socket and lifted. It was heavy, but she was able as Angel struggled to pull the mighty wing back from its metal burden. Once Angel had successfully moved the wing back an acceptable distance Fluttershy let the armor down to rest on the clamps. The same was done with the right side in turn. After this she circled around to the back of the wings. The connection between the sheets in each armor piece made them awkward to push. One sheet had to be moved a little, then the other had to be moved in kind to make both pieces lay flush to the wall. It was heavy work, but a when she was finally finished she sat down in front of the fire to collect her thoughts.

“Alright, now all the armor is off. As heavy as it was, it certainly did it's job. I can't see any injury from the protected parts of his body. Oh, ok, injuries; what do I need to do? Right wing is broken, likely rib damage, left wing is wrenched, both right legs gashed, multiple burns...” Fluttershy exhaled slowly to calm herself. “My, that's a lot to do. I'll have to work fast so he can start healing as soon as possible. Angel?,” she called. Angel came up beside her and tapped her on the leg to make his presence known. “Angel, do you know where the jar of aloe leaves is in the herbs closet?” Angel nodded. “Good. Please go and get it. I want you to prepare to treat his burns. I'm going to go get a bowl of water. His wounds need to be washed straight away.”

Angel headed up a flight of stairs to the second floor of the cottage where the medicine was located. Fluttershy entered the kitchen, took a large bowl from under the counter into her mouth, and exited out the back door. A short distance away from the cottage was her well that she used for drinking water. Water from the stream in front of her home would not do for cleaning. She cantered over and took hold of the crank in her front hooves. The crank turned with a slow, almost aching groan as the bucket ascended from the bottom. Once the bucket reached the top the crank locked into place. Fluttershy held the bowl steady in her mouth and tipped the bucket to pour in the water. The bowl now full, she stepped carefully as she returned inside.

Angel was already back with the jar of aloe. “Thank you Angel. Now please go and get all the bandages that are left in the cupboard. Also, take the two clean bedsheets that are folded at the top of the stairs. We can rip them into strips for a sling and splint.”Angel cocked his head in mild confusion. “Trust me,” Fluttershy soothed. “Oh, also, please remember the jar of tree sap for adhesive. Oh, and some mint leaves for infection... And that's all,” she said bashfully, as Angel gave a look as if to inquiring if there was anything else. Nodding, Angel set to finding the requested materials.

Fluttershy returned to the kitchen briefly to retrieve several washcloths. She set them down in a pile next to the bowl of water and took one, laying it out as flat as she could. She picked several mouthfuls of aloe leaves from the jar and placed them in the middle of the lain out cloth. With another cloth that she dipped in water, Fluttershy pointedly washed her hooves. The water was warm and clean as it ran down her forelegs; perfect for treatment. Her hooves clean, she began to crush the aloe leaves thoroughly, breaking their slick exterior to expose the inner juices. She finished and set this aside for Angel when he came back with the bandages.

Casting away the cloth she used to wash her hooves, Fluttershy took another clean one and dipped it in the water bowl. She rung it out and looked from burn to burn, deciding which to clean first. “It doesn't matter I suppose. I need to be quick though. Angel can tend these while I close up those awful wounds in his legs.” Cleaning the burns was relatively quick and simple, but as she worked Fluttershy took notice of how muscular the pegasus's body was. Under the coat she could feel the ripple of sinew on bone; each muscle was articulated almost elegantly. The fire, crackling softly, cast inviting shadows over the irregularities in his coat contour resulting from the muscle profiles.

She understood how he could wear such armor, and wondered vaguely at the condition of whatever it was that he had encountered. Angel appeared as the last burn was being finished. “Did you get everything I needed, Angel bunny?,” Fluttershy asked as she rinsed out her washcloth. Angel nodded as he pointed to the pile he had drug in. A substantial number of bandages and the jars of sap and mint leaves were lumped onto the two folded bedsheets.

“Thank you so much,” Fluttershy said with a smile of gratitude. “Here, take this.” She nosed the cloth with the crushed aloe toward Angel. “I want you to take this and apply it to all the burned areas. There are four on his body, and patches on both wings. Don't be stingy with it, there should be plenty. On the wings, if the skin underneath is burned, then doctor it. If just the feathers are singed, pull the feathers out and that will be enough. It looks like the wings were bleeding once, but we can leave those injuries to heal on their own since they're protected by the cover of the feathers. Can you do that for me?” Angel took the corner of the aloe laden cloth and pulled it over next to the pegasus's flank, an unspoken affirmative.

It was now time for Fluttershy to take care of the gaping wounds in the right legs. She tenderly washed away the dirt and caked blood. As the grime was removed, the wounds showed themselves to not be nearly as severe as Fluttershy at first anticipated. She thought at first she may have to use stitches, but she decided bandages would do just fine. After the woulds were cleaned thoroughly, she crumbled mint leaves into them to prevent infection. She then wrapped them firmly with the bandages Angel had brought, and secured the wrappings with the tree sap.

Satisfied with her work to this point, Fluttershy stepped back for a brief rest. “Those bandages should hold until he's healed completely. I think things are going better than expected, all things considered. How are you doing Angel?” Angel pulled himself out from under a layer of feathers. His ears flopped as he shook his head to loosen the stray down clinging to his fur. He took up the now empty aloe washcloth and presented it to Fluttershy as proof he had finished. “You're the best helper a pony could ask for Angel bunny. You really are.” Angel gave a curt nod of agreement. “Just two more operations to go and we'll be done. Here, we'll set the left wing first.”

Fluttershy took one of the bedsheets and began to rip it into thick, even strips with her teeth. She took two strips and wrapped them side by side around the left wing, close to the shoulder. Two more strips were taken and, side by side, looped through the wing wrappings. These strips were taken at the ends and pulled taught about the pegasus's neck. Angel tied them together, creating an effective sling to provide support for the wrenched wing. This would also serve to remove unnecessary bearing force from the ribs so they could set and heal properly.

The break in the right wing was the final point of attention. Fluttershy directed Angel to pull the three straightest sticks of reasonable thickness from the wood pile while she laid the wing out properly. With the utmost caution Fluttershy maneuvered the wing until the break was lined up correctly. She took a moment to feel the bone, judging how serious it was. She determined it was not a clean break; there was a small sliver of bone still bridging the gap. It was by no means good news, but a better alternative.

Angel produced three sticks of acceptable straightness and thickness. Fluttershy took the remaining strips she had torn and formed the base of the splint, wrapping the entire wing as the sticks held against the bone. She then took the remaining whole bed sheet, folded it in half longways, and wrapped the wing again. Tree sap was applied to the final wrapping to hold it fast.

Fluttershy heaved a sigh of immense relief after having finally finished treating the pegasus. She sat back for a moment to assess the work. “I have to say, that was probably the hardest work I've ever had to do. I feel so much better though, knowing he's taken care of. What about you Angel?” She looked down expectantly for Angel, but he wasn't there. “Angel?,” she called. The rabbit had moved away from her side. She looked around for him curiously, finally finding his small furry body collapsed on the couch. He had fallen asleep on the spot, his body rising and falling with each breath. “You poor thing. You worked really hard tonight too, didn't you?” Fluttershy lovingly scooped up the small creature in the crook of her wing. She carried him to his bed at the foot of the stairs and laid him down gingerly, smiling like a doting mother. Angel had his flaws, there was no denying; but at heart, he was a very good bunny.

A wide yawn escaped Fluttershy's mouth. She was all of a sudden very aware of how tired she was. She turned to look out her window, trying to gauge the time. The night was beginning its retreat, and Celestia's brilliant sun was nearing the tops of the trees, its faint light foreshadowing its grand entrance that was the dawn. “Oh no, it can't be almost morning. Aw, I need to get some sleep so I can do my chores tomorrow.” Her eyes bleary, her legs slightly aching with fatigue, she winged her way around the room to extinguish the low-burning candles. She stopped to a hover over the couch and descended slowly.

Taking her original position before the excitement of the night, her frame curled up in the crook of the couch arm and back, Fluttershy nestled down for a few hours of sleep. She opened her eyes just enough to steal a quick glance of the pegasus. His breathing had become deeper and less labored. The expression on his face had changed to a mild calm. Fluttershy felt a deep sense of satisfaction. Before she drifted into darkness she had one final thought, with no the energy to stop herself.

'He is quite handsome, isn't he?'


Chapter 1 Fin